- Text Size +
8-Partly Cloudy, Chance of Rain



John leaned contentedly against Dave's heaving chest as they relaxed in each other's arms. Their previous lovemaking had been wild and passionate as John sank deep into Dave, over and over again, abandoned completely to his primal need. Fueled by the soft moans of pleasure, he watched Dave stroke himself to the rhythm of his own movements, until at last they had both surrendered to the inevitable, he collapsed against Dave's chest, hardly able to catch his breath.

It was nearly 5am and John had an early shift but Dave didn't have to work until noon. The pouring rain and sudden thunder had interrupted their sleep and they had eagerly taken advantage of the fact that they had awakened so early.

They were lying together totally sated, just enjoying the storm when they heard a desperate pounding at their bedroom door, followed by a frightful shriek as Maura cried out for her daddy. John decided this would be a good time for a shower as Dave quickly grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt and went to the door.

"Hey, Sweetie. What's wrong?" Dave asked as he leaned down and picked up the frightened little girl. Dave grabbed a handful of tissues to dry her tears as he took Maura back to her room and stayed with her so that John could get ready for work. Curled up in her bed with her they had both gone back to sleep.

John smiled as he saw Dave under the pink and white floral comforter with their little angel snuggled in his arms. He gave them each a kiss before leaving for work.

"Love you," Dave whispered sleepily and he snuggled back under the warm covers.

~~~~~~~~

Susan and John had just finished treating a young woman who was hit by a car. Her dog had also been hit and was killed. The police had come in with her and had taken a statement because the driver had left the scene.

Susan had been talking to the girl about her dog and had tried to reassure her that he probably went really fast.

After they had sent the girl for tests, John teased Susan about her concern for the dog.

"He probably went really fast." John mocked her shamelessly, flashing her a toothy grin as he removed his gloves.

"She was upset," Susan replied, somewhat annoyed at his teasing.

Amused by Susan's serious attitude, John was beginning to tell her that the girl had more serious problems to worry about rather than a dead dog. But Susan just continued her explanation.

"It can be traumatic to lose a pet." She curtly replied back.

"What was his name?" John smiled, realizing that she must have had a similar experience at some time.

"Who?" Susan looked at him a bit confused at what he was talking about.

"Your dog," He asked

"Happy," Susan answered. "He was a Lhasa Apso and he got hit by a car when I was eleven.

"Ohhh� did he go really fast?" John whimpered coyly as he continued his childish teasing.

John was getting ready to take a break when he saw Algier running into the hospital, drenched by the downpour and hugging his coat tightly against his freezing body.

"Dr. Carter!" Algier, frantically called out to John.

"Algier? Algier, what's wrong?" John ran to meet him, grabbing hold of his arm. His first thought was on Gamma, had something happened to her?

"John, it's your grandmother, I found her out in the driveway, in the rain. I think she may have broken her hip." Algier ran towards John, immediately filling him in on Millicent's condition the best he could. It never even occurred to John that he should not be the one treating her as he turned to run out with Algier.

"Get a gurney," John shouted, his voice cracking, as he called out to no one in particular. Following Algier's lead, John ran out to the car. He needed to see for himself how she was.

"I think she slipped, but there was a cut on her head." Algier explained as he ran along side John.

"She was driving?" John shouted as they ran out into the pouring rain. He was so upset that Gamma was still refusing to listen to him about not being able to drive anymore that he could barely hear himself think let alone what Algier was saying.

"She went out there in the brink of the storm," Algier shouted above the pouring rain.

"Gamma?" John called out frantically as he crawled into the back seat, willing himself to calm down so that he could check her out. He desperately needed to know just what had happened and how badly she was hurt.

"Oh, John, it's terrible it hurts," She cried. The pained expression across her face made John feel helpless, knowing that moving her was going to cause her even more pain. He tried to calm her fears.

"Okay, I know it does. Just lie still," He tried to make his assessment as quick and thorough as possible. He felt sick, knowing the pain she was in, knowing that there wasn't much that he could do for her until they got her inside.

Susan was soon right behind him as she asked if Millicent fell down.

"I don't know," He exclaimed as he continued his assessment. "Her right leg is short and externally rotated." He called out to Susan as his mind automatically shifted into 'doctor mode,' as he explained her condition as far as he could tell. The back seat of the car didn't give him the space necessary to really evaluate her as well as he would like.

"I think I broke my hip," Gamma cried out. The pain was becoming unbearable as her eyes pleaded with him to help her.

"I think you did too. What happened to your head?" He frowned, observing the blood coming from a rather large cut on the side of her forehead. He didn't think that she would need stitches but he really couldn't tell from his current position.

"I thought it was best if I drove home. I didn't realize how much I was bleeding. So I slipped in the driveway." Gamma stammered.

"You were in an accident?" John interrogated. Shock and worry over taking him again.

"Well, I don't� It was raining�I couldn't see� I think I hit a dog." She seemed to be confused.

"Where were you Gam? Where were you driving?" Suddenly realizing that she was the hit and run driver. He felt himself beginning to panic as dozens of thoughts about what was happening with his grandmother passed through his mind at once. Her confusion made him feel very uneasy as questions still flooded his mind. How did this happen? What was she doing? Would she go to jail? No, he would see to it that she was safe.

"It was supposed to be clear. It was supposed to be sunny," She continued. John could see that she was definitely confused about what had happened. It was clear to him that she didn't remember the entire incident and this was really worrying him.

With Susan's help John got her out of the car and into an exam room. As soon as he got her settled he felt himself falling apart. Unable to think straight, he excused himself, needing to step out. He left her in Susan's capable hands. Once out in the hall he drew in a deep breath, exhaling slowly as he tried to gather his thoughts and quiet his nerves. His heart was pounding so hard he though it was going to burst inside his chest, his hands were shaking and he just couldn't seem to calm down. Needing to give himself a few minutes to gather his thoughts, he went to the bathroom to splash some cool water on his face before going back in to check on his grandmother. He couldn't leave her alone; he needed to be with her.

"Hey, Gam does it still hurt?" He asked returning to be with her through this. He was still concerned that she was still in pain, as she nodded towards him.

"On a scale from 1-10�" He was cut off by her answer.

"It hurts, John." She affirmed. Her eyes spoke more than her words as he felt her pain.

He turned to speak with Susan and ordered some pain medication for her.

John told her that she did in fact, break her hip, and talked to her about some tests that needed to be done to determine whether or not she would need surgery. John remembered his grandmother visiting him when he had been stabbed. He recalled the fact that she was the only one that he could share how scared he was with. He felt really bad for her but also knew that he had to tell her what else he knew about her situation.

"I think that you hit more than a dog. You also hit a young woman." John assured her that the girl was fine and that she was being well taken care of. He also told her that he had already called Mr. Stern, the family attorney. He wanted to cover all the bases for her sake.

The news from the radiologist had not been good. While doing the MRI Gamma began to panic and became altered.

"John, John, are you there?" She began to call out to him.

"I'm right here," John replied as he ran immediately into the room to be at her side. The panic in her eyes frightened him. He had never seen this strong-willed woman afraid of anything ever.

"I want to go home," she begged. John hated telling her that this was one time that he could not allow her to have her way.

"Not quite yet, we're not done." He tried to reassure her, buying some time before having to tell her that it was going to be a long time before she could go home.

"Call your grandfather to come pick me up, I want to go home," she pleaded with him.

This caught John a bit off guard. He swallowed hard. "Grandpa's not here," he tried to pacify her, surprised by her forgetfulness.

"Get him," she insisted again. Her eyes pleading with him to obey.

"Grandpa's dead." Having to tell her that was very disturbing. His heart sunk as he realized that things were a lot worse than he had suspected.

Gamma looked around trying to remember what had happened. "Where am I?" She asked in a frighten tone.

"You're in the hospital. You were in a car accident, remember Gamma, you broke your hip." He continued to comfort her, while trying to explain the situation.

"Oh, yes of course, I hit a dog. I hit a dog; he was in the middle of the street." She was still not completely coherent.

John was not sure what he should do after hearing the radiologist tell him that 1/3 of the elderly that go under the knife for these types of injuries die from postoperative complications within a year. After getting Gamma settled into her room , he made a phone call to his father. John knew that he needed some help in making decisions concerning the care of his grandmother. He knew what he would suggest if this was just another patient, but this was his grandmother. He wanted to make sure that everything that could possibly be done was done. He also didn't want the responsibility of making all the decisions by himself.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Even with surgery she is going to be in the hospital for awhile." John explained to his father. "As soon as she recovers from the surgery they will want to transfer her to a rehabilitation center, until she can get around on her own." John paced the floor of the waiting room as he spoke to his father. He was doing his best to explain all the options and probabilities in layman's terms so that his father would understand what was going on. He just couldn't bring himself to admit that she was really worse that he wanted to believe.

"Yes, a convalescent home," John affirmed. His father was asking all sorts of questions that he no longer wanted to answer over the phone. Just for once, he wished that his father would drop everything and come home, just because. He had managed to do it when his grandfather died, why couldn't he do it while his own mother was still alive, just for her sake and no other reason?

Jack had informed John that he just could not get away at the moment and that he would leave whatever decisions that needed to be made up to John.

"You are the doctor after all, John, you know more about what she needs than I do. I'll try to make it home as soon as possible." Jack promised.

John hung up the phone feeling angry and exasperated. How dare he do this to him? How dare he leave everything thing up to him and use the fact that he was a doctor to justify his decision?

~~~~~~~~

After his shift, John got ready to weather the storm. He decided to drive over to Northwestern to see Dave. He had ended his day wearing a pair of scrubs, which made it very easy for him to walk into the hospital through the ambulance bay. He walked up to the admit desk where a tall, brunette woman turned and asked if she could help him.

"I'm looking for Dr. Malucci." The woman seemed to be giving him the once over. "You do have a Dr. Malucci working here, right? Dr. Dave Malucci?" John was trying to get her to acknowledge his request, when he heard Dave's voice.

"Hey, John, what are you doing here?" Dave asked, surprised to see him. It took all his willpower not to grab John and kiss him right there in front of all his co-workers. Instead he just stood there gazing at him.

"It's Gamma, she's been in an accident," John answered, his eyes told Dave how worried and upset he was. Dave took him into a close embrace, not caring about the small group of nurses gathering nearby trying to eavesdrop on their conversation. John pulled back and grinned slightly at Dave, glad for the support but nervous about their audience.

"Dave, can we get out of here for a while?" John asked, thinking that if the nurses here were anything like at County, Dave would be the talk of the ER for days.

"Uh, sure." Dave turned towards the women at the desk and told her that he had a family emergency and needed to leave for a while.

On their way out of the hospital, they overheard a couple of the nurses commenting on John. "He doesn't look like he would be Dave's brother."

"Could be a half-brother." Suggested another.

They both glanced at each other and smiled at the overly curious nurses. "Some thing's never change." Dave remarked sarcastically has they walked out together with his arm across John's back. John's arm was draped across Dave's shoulder. He was glad that Dave didn't mind the public display of contact. He really needed that from Dave right now.

~~~~~~~~

They walked to John's jeep, grateful that John had managed to find a parking space close to the exit since it was still pouring outside. John followed Dave's directions to a small pizza parlor a couple of blocks up the street from the hospital.

Dave's shift wasn't over until midnight but he still had not taken his dinner break. He knew that as much as John needed his company right now he also needed to get something to eat.

As they entered the small dimly lighted room, the smell of pizza baking made John realize that he too had not eaten since breakfast. With everything that had been going on, he had simply forgotten about the need for food. The smell seemed to have a warm comforting affect on him as they sat together in a quiet corner.

While they waited for their order, John had called the house to let Corrine know that he would not be home for dinner. They both took turns talking to Maura and John assured her that he would be home in time to watch "The Lion King" before she had to go to bed. It had been a while since Dave and John had spent any time out together, just the two of them.

Most of their conversation was centered on Gamma and John's father. They had long finished their pizza and were enjoying their time together when Dave's pager went off. Looking down at the number Dave informed John that he had to get back.

John drove Dave back to the hospital but told Dave that he was going to leave him the Jeep and he would call a cab. He had no desire to come back out into this weather to pick him up later.

After arriving home, John went directly upstairs. Maura was very happy to see him. She had already taken her bath and was in her pajamas anxiously waiting for him. He asked Kathryn if she would take her downstairs and help Maura make them some popcorn while he showered and change into some sweats. By the time he got out of the shower, Kathryn was sitting with Maura on the couch and they had just started the movie. John stretched out on the other couch. Maura curled up along side of him. Before the movie had even finished, they had all fallen asleep.

After the first couple of weeks of caring for Maura, Kathryn had asked permission to move into the guestroom permanently. Living at home was becoming unbearable. Her parents didn't approve of the strange hours, of her coming and going, but she still could not afford a place of her own. She was glad that with the weather the way it was that she didn't have to go out in it tonight.

John woke to the sound of the TV as the movie had ended and rewound itself. He put Maura in her bed and went to his room. He lay down on his bed just staring up at the ceiling for what seems like forever. He just could not get back to sleep.

Not wanting to disturb Kathryn, he wandered downstairs and into what used to be his grandfather's study. John sat on the couch with his chin resting on his arms hanging over the back of the couch, staring out the window. He watched intently as the lightning flashed and momentarily lit up the room followed by the loud booming of the thunder. The rhythmic beating of the rain against the windowpane was hypnotic. He had been sitting there for what seemed like hours still not able to sleep. With everything that had been going on, he wondered how he managed to focus on anything lately. Another flash of lightening lit up the room around him.

Dave entered the room handing him a cup of hot chocolate. He had heard the soft jazz tune of Jimmy Smith, when he had come in and knew that it was John. Accepting the warm cup, John blew gently on the hot liquid before taking a sip, something vaguely familiar about hot chocolate and rainy nights made him feel a bit melancholy.

"Can't sleep?" Dave rubbed the back of his neck as he observed John sitting curled up in the corner of the couch.

John gulped down another sip before answering. "Guess not." He turned to gaze out the window again watching the rain form puddles in the dormant garden. The wind was beginning to blow more fiercely as dark shadows danced across the glass. His eyes grew heavy as he felt himself beginning to relax under Dave's manipulations.

"John, are you okay?" Dave settled down next to his lover. He knew that all this business with Gamma was affecting John deeply and there was nothing that he could do.

"Yeah." John replied stifling a yawn. "I think I just need to get some sleep."

"I think I can help you with that." Dave smiled as he took John's hand, together they walked up the stairs.

They entered their room, locking the doors behind them. John pulled off his sweats and T-shirt, dropping them on the floor. He was in bed before Dave had finished undressing. Dave crawled seductively over John as he slowly kissed his way down John's long body. He started at the temples licking and kissing John's forehead and down his cheek. Capturing his mouth, he sucked on John's tongue tenderly, slowly, tasting the sweet chocolate on his lips. Dave ran his tongue along John's teeth, pressing his mouth firmly against John's lips, deepening the kiss as if he could not get enough. His mouth trailed along John's lips, then his chin, down to one of John's ears, sucking in a lobe he nibbled gently blowing heated breath into John ear, causing John's breathing to increase, becoming heavier and a bit more ragged. Soft moans of pleasure escaped his lips as Dave continued to move slowly along John's long neck slowly one inch at a time farther down until he reached his nipples, taking each one ever so gently in between his teeth, tugging and teasing. Dave took his time relishing in the fact the he was causing John to squirm beneath him.

"Oh, God," John whispered hoarsely, barely able to breathe as Dave moved to the other side and spent his time pleasuring and pleasing John. His hands roamed Dave's hard muscular body, touching and caressing the flushed skin.

John reached out for Dave but his hands where held back by Dave's gentle touch, holding him in place against the bed.

John gasped with anticipation as Dave slowly made his way down his belly, leaving trails of wet kisses around his navel and downward as he passed his groin and along his thighs. Dave nestled his hand in the patch of pubic hair, deliberately avoiding direct contact as he kissed John's inner thighs. Dave held John's hips firmly in place as John bucked forward trying to make contact; his own hand reached down to touch himself. Dave held John's hands away from himself again as he moved back up to John's mouth. He pushed his tongue urgently into John's mouth as John fought to rub himself against Dave's body.

"Oh God, Dave, please," he cried, not sure how much more of this he could take.

Dave reached for the nightstand and took out the lube. He tucked both pillows under John's hips and proceeded slowing, once again trailing wet kisses down John's heated torso. He knelt between John's legs spreading them wide as he gently began to suck John's ball's into his mouth, rolling each with his tongue. His hands massaged tenderly along John's thighs, ever mindful for where John's hands began to stray.

His tongue reached John's puckered opening as he licked him meticulously around the outer rim. John's movements spurred him on as he pushed his tongue further inside. John gasped as he finally felt a warm hand wrap around the length of his cock, holding him at the base, cutting off all blood flow to his throbbing organ. Dave moved slowing upwards as he licked carefully at John's weeping cock, just enough to taste the luscious juices as his hands fumbled to remove the cap from the lube. Spreading the lube generously in his hand, he worked it into John's opening, slipping a finger inside, stretching and twisting, slipping in another. Dave stroked his own burgeoning cock to completely coat himself with the lube, until it too wept.

"Dave, please," John begged, "please now."

Dave moved closer as he pressed firmly against John, entering slowly, centimeter by centimeter, making perfectly sure that John was ready for him.

John bucked his hips, inviting Dave to take him deeper, as Dave sank over and over again into John's tightness.

Dave watched John's reactions, his own organ now screaming for release. He slowed down briefly, trying to hold off as long as he could. He gasped breathlessly as jolts of electric pleasure raced through his body. Dave wrapped his fingers around John's cock as he slowly stroked the throbbing organ, slowly moving in and out as he felt his need building to new heights. Feeling the tension becoming too much, his own pleasure overtook him as he felt himself release inside of John. Dave cried out as he felt John grip his ass as his warm liquid spilled over Dave's hand as he too cried out.

They lay spooned together, totally spent. John never seemed to have any problem falling asleep when Dave was next to him.