- Text Size +
"Luka! Nice to see you again where have you been hiding out and where's John?" Susan teased as she saw him walking from the pool house.



"Oh, we just took a little sauna, he's still in there talking with Brandon." Luka tried to act nonchalant.



"They have a sauna?" Susan asked. It really didn't surprise her in the least. This place was big enough to have just about anything you could imagine.



"Yeah, Carter showed it to me and we were just kickin' back in there, you know doing a little male bonding." Luka smiled. At least that much he felt was true.



"Is he okay?" Abby interrupted as she tugged on Luka's arm.



"Yes, Abby, he's fine." Luka looked down at the ground not wanting to meet Abby's questioning eyes.



"So what did you guys talk about?" Abby asked.



"Excuse us, Susan." Luka took Abby aside. "We just had a little man to man talk about his problem with his meds. Brandon's with him now and he's just feeling a little frustrated. He's get over it." Luka tried to reassure her.



Algier announced that he was beginning the steaks and that if anyone wanted them different than medium rare they had better speak up.



"Luka, I'm going to go let John and Brandon know that the foods almost ready. I know it doesn't take long to cook steaks." Abby sprinted off.



Abby knocked on the door of the pool house and turned the knob to find it unlocked. "John, Honey." She called out as she entered and saw the place empty.



Brandon opened the door to the sauna. "In here, Sugar." He smiled as he let her in.



"John, everyone's looking for you and the food is going to be served soon, but if you're not ready to come out I can just tell them that you're not feeling well. I don't want you to feel that you have to come out. I know that this has all been a lot to take in in one day, Baby." Abby sat next to John and let him lean against her.



"No, I need to do this. Everyone has gone to a lot of trouble to make this nice and I don't want to disappoint anyone. Really, I can do this." John stood and gathered up his towel. "Let me just use the bathroom and I'll be right out." John walked out of the sauna, followed by both Abby and Brandon. John picked up his T-shirt and a dry pair of shorts and proceeded to go into the bathroom. After relieving himself, John stripped off his damp trunks and stepped into the shower to rinse off the sweat and tears. He quickly joined Brandon and Abby as they made their way back to mingle with his guests.



Barbara ran to meet them when she saw them coming toward the small crowd. "Hey, Scooter, is everything alright." She took his hand and walked along side of his squeezing in between him and Brandon.



"Yeah, I'm fine we just took a sauna that's all." John hoped that everyone else wasn't going to be asking him the same thing.



"Carter, Happy Birthday!" Peter approached him with Reece in tow. "Kerry called and asked me to come by if I had the chance. "How are you doing, man? Heard you're on a vacation from County for a while. Must be nice."



"Hi. Reece," John signed hello. "Peter it's good to see you. I don't know about nice but I did need to get away." He wasn't sure what Peter knew if anything.



"You know Carter that's what they have vacation time for. You need to use some once in a while. I heard about your engagement to Abby, Congratulation!" Peter handed John a long envelope. "I guess it's too late for these but thought you'd like them anyway." Peter smiled broadly.



"What's this?" John asked curiously. He opened it to find a pair of tickets to the Jazz Club. "Ahhh, yes. Thank you, Peter. John grinned remembering his talk with Peter when he first hooked up with Cleo.



"So are you two doing okay?" John asked. "You and Cleo." He added.



"Yeah, just great. As a matter of fact we just got engaged also." Peter smiled.



"Wow, I never thought I'd see the day that Peter Benton got married." John exclaimed.



"Getting married? Hey that's great!" Susan exclaimed as she joined them. "So this must be Reece." Susan held out her arms to see if Reece would come to her.



Reece shied away but Peter set him down and coaxed him to go to her.



"I think we're just about ready to eat." John invited Peter to join him as they heard Algier announce that the steaks were ready. "I'm sure Reece is hungry."



"Come on John," Jack called. "You and your friends should go first."



One by one they all joined John in the buffet line that ended at the grill.



"I guess John is having a good time." Jack leaned over and spoke to Eleanor as he sat next to her and watched John and his friends get their food and settle around the long banquet table. Corrine was helping to serve Chase and Millicent.



"I do hope so. I'm glad to see that he has so much support. I have decided that I'm not leaving Chicago until I know that he is going to be okay." Eleanor announced.



"Well, if it's alright with you I think I'd like to stay around also." Jack stammered.



"This is definitely the first outdoor barbeque that I've ever been to where I ate off of fine china and used real silverware." Susan said as she joined Luka and Jing-Mei.



"Yeah me too." Luka added.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The afternoon seemed to pass quickly as the caterers cleared away all the unwanted food.



"John?" Abby whispered. "I need a smoke. Is Gamma going to have a heart attack if I light up?" Abby had never seen John smoking around his grandmother and had always assumed that he wasn't comfortable doing so.



"Uhm, come with me." John looked around to see if they could get away without being noticed. "I could really use one myself." John took Abby's hand and went for a walk towards the garage. He sat on a small rock wall near the garage and took the cigarette Abby was offering him. He filled his lungs with the smoke savoring the taste of the nicotine. It wasn't the same as what he really wanted but it offered it's own taste of satisfaction.



"So, Gamma doesn't approve of you smoking?" Abby asked.



"Besides not liking it, she just worries too much. She knows that I only do it when I want..." John cut himself off not wanting to admit that he was seriously craving narcotics at the moment.



"Want drugs? Is that what you were going to say?" Abby held up his chin and leaned down to give his a kiss. "I know how hard this is for you, Baby, but you're doing great and the day's almost over. I just wish that you didn't have to go back." Abby choked back her emotions. She had promised herself that she wouldn't cry.



"Please, Abby don't say that. Don't made this any harder than it's already going to be." John stood and crushed his cigarette out. He began pacing nervously counting silently to himself. "Do you have another cigarette?" John finally asked sitting back down next to Abby.



"I'm sorry, John." Abby knew that her comment had upset him as she handed him the pack. She watched as he shook out another cigarette. His hands were shaking as he lit it and drew in a deep breath, willing himself to remain calm.



"Hey, you two. I thought I'd find you over here." Jack came near seeing John smoking. "Got another one?" He asked indicating the cigarette.



John looked up and furrowed his brow at his father. He had never in his life seen his father smoking. Abby handed Jack a cigarette and her lighter.



"Don't looked so surprised John, just don't tell your mother," he added as he lit up.



"You still care what she thinks," John asked sarcastically.



"I never stopped caring, John. I'm just not sure that I know how to put the pieces back together anymore. I've spent my entire life putting the pieces together to find that they never really fit the way I thought. So much has happened that I can't just forgive and forget. Not yet anyways. But I didn't come looking for you to talk about all that. They're getting ready to serve the cake." Jack stamped out the finished cigarette as John tossed his on the ground as well.



John stood and took Abby's hand. "I guess we had better get this over with," he whispered. John was beginning to want to just go home with Abby for a while before having to return to the center. He was supposed to be back by 7:00, so he figured if he wrapped this afternoon up quickly then they would still have a couple of hours or so to spend alone.



By the time they re-joined the party, everyone was standing around a finely decorated cart, admiring a large sheet cake.



"Hey, Carter. Cute cake!" Susan announced with a giggle. "Star Wars huh.



"Barbara?" John called out looking around for his sister knowing that she was responsible for this. He turned as Barbara snapped a picture of him.



"Oh, you are so dead!" He said as he went after her. Barbara turned and ran from him, screaming like a child. She stopped suddenly not realizing how close he was causing him to crash right into her as they both went tumbling down. They were laughing and checking each other out to make sure no one was hurt. Laughing and giggling John pinned her down and began to tickle her.



"Okay, Uncle, I give!" Barbara squealed.



"I guess they never really grow up do they." Millicent laughed at her adult grandchildren playing like kids.



"I take it there's more behind the 'Star Wars' cake then Barbara just wanting John to have a little fun." Eleanor mused. Abby began to laugh at her comment but pretended to zip her lip, as Eleanor looked her way.



John got up and offered Barbara his hand as they walked arm and arm, back to join the group.



"Barb, Abby and I would like to get out of here soon if you could help me wrap this up." He whispered on their way back.



"I'll see what I can do, Scooter," she promised.



Corrine had just finished lighting all the candles and everyone began to sing.

Abby held his hand and placed a gentle kiss on his lips as he waited for the song to end. He took a deep breath and blew out all the candles. Wishing that he would get well soon and never have to leave Abby's arms again.



Abby held his hand as he took the knife and cut the cake. Corrine stepped in and served everyone as they sat down at the table. After all the plates were once again cleared away, there were a few more minutes of idle chatter as everyone sat around and talked as though they had all known each other for years.



John was amazed at how well his parents and grandmother took to all his friends. Brandon had been carrying on with Luka and Peter over obscure medical procedures as if they'd known each other for life. Veronica had settled in with Jing -Mei and Susan as they giggled over everything from shopping to what color lip stick they wore. Reece had taken a liking to Kerry and Chase as he held him in his lap with the help of Eleanor. Jack had made himself comfortable with Corrine and Algier as he realized that they were closer to being a mother and father to John than he and Eleanor ever were.



"John, I really have to go," Susan started. I'm working the night shift and need to at least get in a nap before I start. She stood and gave him a big hug.



"Yes, and I came with Susan." Jing-Mei also hugged him as she joined Susan in gathering up her belongings.



One by one they each said their good-byes as John thanked all of his guests.

Even Chase was being taken back to the Kenner Institute.



"I do hope that you had a good time, dear." Millicent said as John pushed her towards the house.



"It was really great, Gamma. Much better than what I ever expected." John wheeled her inside and kissed her cheek. "Thank you so much for everything." He took her into the sitting room and sat down with her.



Algier and Jack helped Abby gather up all of John's gifts and take them to the Jeep while John spent a few minutes alone with Millicent.



"John, you look so tired. Are you getting enough sleep?" Millicent asked. She always worried so much about him.



"I'm trying, Gamma. Every day gets a little easier." He smiled his best fake smile.



Abby came in and took his hand. "Ready, Hon." She asked. She knew that John was tired and needed a little down time before returning to the center she had the perfect ending for a long day in mind when they got home.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Abby stepped out of the shower and dried off. Wrapping herself in her towel she found John sitting on the bed, listening to some soft jazz and sipping a soda.



"Hey, Baby." Abby straddled his lap as she leaned over and planted a trail of wet kisses along his neck.



Setting the soda on the nightstand John gathered her into his arms as he caressed her. The towel fell as he laid her naked body down and lay next to her and rolled onto his side. He brushed away a strand of wet hair as he admired her. Abby ran her fingers under his T-shirt pulling the fabric up and over his head. She began to slide her hand across his bare chest and pressed her lips against his, her tongue begged entrance as he held his lips together.



"Abby, please I really don't want to do this again." John took her hand and kissed it holding it against his lips.



"We don't have to do anything, John, I just want to feel you close to me. I need to be near you." She snuggled close to him and let him hold her in his arms.



"God, I love you, Abby. I have never felt so deeply for anyone ever." John kissed her passionately, giving in to the want and desire that he felt.



Abby kissed him slowly and tenderly as he reciprocated hungrily. She wanted him so badly but she didn't want a repeat of this morning with him unable to finish and having to return to the center any more frustrated than she knew that he already was.



"John, I could give you a back rub if you would like." She whispered, hoping to take his mind off of how much he wanted her.



"Lie on your stomach, Baby." Abby got up and pulled on a long T-shirt as she fetched her bottle of massage oil from the nightstand.



"You just did that this morning." John stated.



"Since when do you turn down one of my back rubs?" She grinned as John rolled over onto his stomach.



Abby warmed some of the oil into her hands and mounted his hips. Pressing her palms into his flesh, kneading his muscles until he was completely relaxed. Abby noticed the change in his breathing and realized that he had fallen asleep. She spooned her body close to his and soon joined him in dreamland.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Nick sat in his therapy room deeply engrossed in a book when he looked at his watch and realized that it was already 7:30. 'Where the hell is John?' He wondered. Looking out the window he thought of calling and then decided to give him another half an hour.



The ringing of the phone suddenly awakened Abby. It took her a few moments to realize that it wasn't just part of her dream. Dragging herself out of bed she sleepily looked around for the cordless phone, not remembering where she had put it last. The insistent ringing woke John as he sat on the edge of the bed trying to focus on his watch.



"Oh, God. Oh God, I'm late. Shit!" John growled as he realized that it was already 8:00.



"You should have woken me up." He said obviously annoyed as he opened his drawers and was looking for some clothes. He was pulling off his shorts and trading them for boxers as Abby tried handing him the phone. "I'm sort of busy here. Who is it?" He barked, John grabbed a T-shirt and pulled it on



"It's Nick from the center." Abby brushed back her messy hair stepping out of John's way as he was frantically trying to get dressed.



"Tell him I'm on my way. Tell him I fell asleep and I'm just now leaving but I'm on my way." John pleaded as he opened his closet door and stepped inside, pulling on a pair of slacks and a shirt.



"Nick, I'm really sorry. John fell asleep and is getting dressed to leave right now." There was a silence as Abby listened to Nick on the other end. "Yes he had a very good day. He was just tired when we got home. We both fell asleep and just woke up when we heard the phone ringing." There was another long pause. "Yes, about 45 minutes to an hour .... Thanks Nick." Abby hung up the phone and pulled on a pair of pants.



"I'm so sorry, John, just calm down. I'll help you get your stuff ready." Abby offered. "Did you get everything packed earlier?"



"Yeah, I just have that shoulder bag for my shoes and I'm bringing those books on the coffee table. I already put my work stuff in that garment bag." John called out as Abby went to the living room.



John sat on the bed to put on his socks and shoes. "Damn, I knew I should have gotten gas earlier. I thought I'd have plenty of time," he mumbled to himself. "Have you seen my wallet?" John asked merging from the bedroom.



"John, just slow down. Nick knows that it's going to take you a while to get there." It's in my bag with the stuff from this afternoon. Abby pointed to the collection of stuff on the kitchen table. She picked up the books and put them in the bag with John's shoes.



John walked over to the table and retrieved his wallet from Abby's bag. He picked up the stethoscope and placed it with his lab coat.



"You want those in this bag?" Abby asked.



"No, maybe just a paper bag or something. I'm going to leave them in my Jeep." John replied as be finished buttoning his shirt and tucked it in. He looked towards Abby to find her staring at him. "What? Do I have something on my face?" He wiped at himself.



"No." She shook her head and giggled. "You are just so gorgeous." She beamed.



John gathered her up in his arms and kissed her. "I love you." He whispered holding her close. "You know that I need to do this don't you? I don't want to leave you..."



"Shhh." Abby interrupted as she put her fingers to his lips. "You're not leaving me, John. You're just doing what you need to do to get well. I'm going to be right here. You can call me whenever you want to or e-mail me. If I'm not here just leave me a message and I'll know that you were thinking of me." Abby pulled away letting him go. He gave her one last kiss, gathered up his bags and left.




To be continued....