- Text Size +
"There you are." John smiled, finding Abby coming out of the ladies room.



"Oh, the dirt Barbara told me about you," she teased, taking his arm and rejoining the party. For the first time in a very long time, John was also having fun.



"As long as she didn't tell you when I stopped wetting the bed," he joked.



"I believe she said eight," Abby laughed, watching John turn scarlet red.



"Oh, man. I am in trouble!" He laughed as they walked to the bar together. "Two mineral waters, please," he ordered. "Gamma looks happy."



"She does. She's been talking up a storm tonight," Abby smiled, accepting the drinks. Where else could she drink 'mineral water' from a champagne glass, dress up in fancy clothes, and be on the arm of the man of her dreams?



"Looks like she's trying to gather everyone on the patio. Let's go find out what sort of announcement she's making now." John smiled as he led Abby out to where the crowd was gathering.



Eleanor was trying to get everyone's attention for Millicent, which John found a bit strange in itself. "I wonder what they're up to," he whispered to Abby.



"What makes you think they're up to anything?" She asked.



"My mother and Gamma hate each other," he informed, watching Barbara roll Chase out to the crowd, up front near Millicent.



"May we have everyone's attention?" Eleanor announced. She helped Millicent stand up. John took a step forward and Millicent motioned him to stay put. Slowly, the crowd of people quieted, giving all their attention to Millicent.



"I'd like to thank all of you for joining us this evening." Millicent addressed the crowd. "While my husband was alive, you were all so supportive in out endeavors and it is so nice to know that The Carter Foundation still has your support," she said, smiling towards many of the benefactors.



"We're here to support you Millicent," was heard from the gathering.



John had his arm placed lovingly behind Abby's back as he scooted closer, whispering in her ear.



"That and the open bar," he whispered, making Abby playfully punch him.



"Shh." She scolded. They didn't realize Millicent watching their playfulness. Her smile was genuine.



"I have gathered all of you together to share some wonderful news with you. I have received some very good news tonight and would like this evening to become a celebration for my dearest grandson." She said as the heads slowly turned toward John, who was whispering something in Abby's ear, not really listening.



"John, why are they all looking at us?" Abby said, feeling the stares.



"What?" He asked, looking up at his mother and grandmother, questioning.



"John, will you please come here?" Millicent asked.



John looked around nervously as he made his way to his grandmother's side.



"Gamma, what's all this about?" He asked, blushing. Eleanor stood by, smiling.



"Now, John, a tiny bird has told me that you have been keeping some very special news from your family and friends. I do believe for a few weeks now?" Millicent stated, taking a hold of John's arm. It took a moment for her meaning to click in his head but Abby caught on right away. She covered her mouth, trying not to burst out laughing. Her little white lie was beginning to backfire.



"Oh, ah, Gamma, I, uh, oh, man," he stammered, looking to Abby as she held back laughter. "Mom?" He looked to his mother for support.



"I have also been told that in your haste to keep your personal life to yourself, that you failed to give your fiancé a ring." Millicent continued, still holding on to his arm.



John just wished he could crawl away at this moment. With so many eyes on him, he was breaking out in a sweat.



"Now, your mother and I have been speaking and we believe that in order for a Carter to become officially engaged to the one woman who has finally taken my grandson's heart, he needs to do it correctly." Millicent had such a wonderful, happy twinkle in her eyes.



John hadn't seen her look so happy in a very long time.



"Gamma." He tried to protest but he couldn't disappoint her.



Millicent handed John a small ring box. "John, this was the engagement ring that your grandfather gave to me over fifty years ago. It is the same ring that your father used to propose to your mother, a lot of good that did." She sarcastically said.



"Gamma," John scolded.



"I know, dear. If it wasn't for their thirty year marriage, I wouldn't have the joy of you or your sister Barbara in my life so for that, I'm grateful." She smiled, placing her hand on his cheek, looking him in the eye. "John, you need to propose to Abby correctly," she insisted.



"Now?" He asked, shaking like a leaf.



"Yes, now," she smiled, turning him around. John looked towards Abby, who amazingly was no longer laughing. In fact, she looked to be in shock.



Barbara stepped forward and opened the ring box held loosely in John's hand. She handed him the ring.



"Go on, Scooter," she urged.



John held the ring and slowly began to smile. This was what he wanted. He'd wanted it for three years now and here he was, surrounded by family and Gamma's friends, the same people who had watched him grow up and here was Abby, waiting to see what he'd do next.



John took a deep breath and tried to calm his nerves. He looked up at Abby and met her eyes, slowly taking a step forward. As he approached her, he took both her hands in his, feeling that she was shaking as bad as he was. 'This was just for pretend,' right? He thought to himself.



John glanced down at the ring again trying to gather his thoughts. He locked eyes with Abby as all thought of how this was all he had ever wanted. A smile spread across his face as he knelt on one knee in front of her.



"Abby," he said, his voice failing him. He blushed shamelessly, cleared his throat and tried again. "Abby, I love you," he smiled, looking down for a brief moment. When he looked up, he had tears in his eyes. "I've been very lucky in my life. I have met some wonderful people and have had some wonderful relationships," he smiled.



Abby's eyes were locked on his, her hands sweating. If 'this was just for pretend,' then why was she so nervous?



"I have thought I was in love a few times before but none of them have meant a thing. When I first laid eyes on you, my heart skipped a beat and I couldn't breathe. You thought I was just being a good teacher but I wasn't." He smiled, the tears rolling down his cheeks. "I did everything I could just to be near you, to be with you. You've been with me during the hard times," he choked. "You were the one that helped me when all I wanted was to die. You showed me that there was something worth living for. I've been there for you, when you've been at your lowest, when you thought there was only you, but I was there, standing beside you." John's hands were now shaking nervously.



Abby felt the tears rolling down her cheeks. If 'this was just for pretend,' then why did he have to mean it so much? 'This couldn't really be for real.' She thought. 'Could it, could they really do this?' Her mind warred with her.



"I love you, Abigail Lockhart. I want to be with you during the hard times ahead and the joyous times, too. I couldn't bear for my life to continue without you. I know you love me. For the first time in my life, I have believed someone when they said it and that person is you. Abby, you are my soul, my heart, and my air. Will you marry me?" He asked, delicately placing the ring on her finger. He was happy to see that it fit perfectly.



"John," Abby began. "You are the most complicated man I have ever met," she smiled, glancing at Millicent and Eleanor, who nodded their approval.



Chase and Barbara couldn't smile wide enough as they watched the two exchange their heartfelt desires for one another.



"You are my laughter and my tears." She looked back at John, looking through his eyes to his soul. "And I never want to leave your side. Yes, of course I'll marry you."



John stood and brought his lips to Abby's. The kiss quickly deepened as the congratulations resounded around them. They were totally lost in one another, unaware of the champagne being un-corked or the laughter and cheers. The only ones that existed were each other, passionately entwining their hearts in a kiss.



"Okay, okay, you two, save it for the honeymoon." Barbara pulled them away so she could hug her brother properly.



Abby was also pulled away, being congratulated by so many people she didn't know. Was this what her life was going to be? Had John been serious or was this just for show? He couldn't have really meant any of what he had said to her, could he?



John felt himself being moved farther and father from Abby as people shook his hand and women pulled him into an embrace. His eyes searched the crowd as Abby was soon surrounded and he could no longer see her eyes. He desperately fought the urge to seek her, instead being the gentleman and accepting the congratulatory hugs and hand shakes. The one question on his mind was 'Did Abby think this was for show?' or did she realize he had meant every word.



~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Hey, you." John came up behind Abby, wrapping his arms around her from behind. Abby stood chatting with several other ladies, Barbara being one. She looked to be having a great time.



"Hey, yourself," she giggled, holding his arm around her stomach. John kissed her neck.



"It's getting late and we have an early shift," he reminded her.



Abby could see that he was getting tired and she needed to get him home and tuck him into bed.



Most of the guests were gone now and Millicent had retired to her room. Only a few women who were friends of Barbara's and a few of Eleanor's friends remained. Even Chase had been taken home but not until he was able to congratulate his cousin with a beer.



"You've been drinking," she smiled.



"Chase insisted I share a beer. Why? Have you?" He said, smiling. His tone was very light and playful.



"No," Abby answered as she nuzzled back into his chest.



"Come on, Scooter. You guys can't go yet." Barbara whined, having had more than one drink.



"Goodnight, Barbara," John said stifling a yawn. He reached out and pulled her into a hug. "You'll have to come by the apartment before you leave town," he invited.



"One of these days, you're going to have to tell me why they call you Scooter." Abby giggled as John led her to get her coat.



"Long story," John blushed, winking at his sister. Abby seemed to be in a dream. "You look happy," he smiled, noticing her never ending grin.



"I had a nice time tonight. It was fun. I really like your sister," Abby said as John wrapped her coat around her shoulders.



Eleanor met them at the door. "Abby, I'm so glad you two made it tonight." She gave Abby a warm kiss on the cheek.



"Thank you, Mrs. Carter," Abby blushed.



John kissed his mother. "Good night, mom," he smiled.



"Have a safe drive home, you two." She watched them from the door as they walked hand-in-hand to John's Jeep.



"That was fun," John said, their entwined hands swinging between them.



"Not quite as fun as letting the air out of someone's tires," she teased.



"Oh, I don't know. Gamma has several cars in the garage. Want to live dangerously?" He offered.



Abby playfully punched his arm. "No." She stated as John held the door for her.



They pulled away from the mansion, silently thinking in their own worlds. Abby kept playing with the ring on her finger. It felt so good, so real.



As they drove, they would occasionally steal glances at one another and quickly look away, still smiling, but both unsure how to bring the events of the night up in conversation.



"Abby . ." John began.



"John . ." Abby said at the same time. They both laughed quietly.



"You go first," John said.



Abby took a deep breath still twirling the ring on her finger.



"Let me wear it tonight, okay? I promise to give it back to you in the morning, okay?" She looked at him, with a forced smile.



John felt like all the air had been sucked out of his body. It was just pretend to her after all. She hadn't meant any of it. She had just been pretending, putting on a show to cover their little lie.



Of course, it was just a game. Another game to get to see just how far little Johnny could go. See how much he would believe before dropping the big bomb and tell him it was all a joke. 'Such a silly little boy' the voice mocked in his head. 'Who would ever love you?' He heard. Such a fool he'd been to believe that for a single moment, an instant in time, Abby, or any woman for that matter, anyone could possibly love him.



"Sure, Abby, whatever." He said, trying to make his voice sound strong and failing miserably.



Abby detected a change in John's tone. 'Oh, God.' She thought. John hadn't been playing. He'd actually meant what he'd said, all those loving, private things he'd said to her, the way no man had ever professed his love to Abby before, either in private or before his entire family. She'd done what every woman had done to him, she crushed him with a simple gesture, with just a simple word that was not malicious in intent but had indeed torn his heart out.



"John, you were just kidding, right? You didn't really mean to propose to me back there, did you?" She asked, trying to sound unemotional but not succeeding. She noticed how often John looked out the driver's window.



"Just covering for you, Abby, that's all." He whispered, his voice being too shaky to raise any louder. He felt as if his heart had just been ripped out of his chest and he could hardly breathe.



"John, look at me and tell me you were just joking," she insisted, grabbing his upper arm.



He pulled away from her grasp and abruptly pulled over to the side of the road and got out of the car as Abby followed.



"John, tell me that was all just an act back there. Tell me!" She demanded, holding his upper arms. He looked at her and the headlights from another car showed her the pain and sadness etched on his face.



"Yeah, it was all just a lie, Abby. Is that what you want to hear? I meant nothing by those words? Fine. They meant nothing. Happy? In fact, I don't really love you. I never did. It's all been a fucking lie! Every last second of it! You've never really been there for me. I'm too fucking complicated. You said it yourself! None of the last two weeks has meant anything at all. I'll just give the ring back. They all expect it, anyway. Poor Johnny gets his heart broken again. They’ll understand. I was just too stupid to see through your act." He yelled.



"John, if you meant it, you should have let me know somehow. I meant what I said to you. John, I would marry you, I will marry you. Please, I didn't know. You didn't tell me," Abby defended. John stared at her.



"I had to tell you? I had to fucking tell you? My God, Abby, this whole thing has been a facade, hasn't it? You've had me going this whole time, haven't you? Jesus, who would have thought you'd be such a bitch!" He spat.



Abby slapped him hard across the face and John stopped breathing. They both realized what they'd said and done and they looked at one another, pain etched in their eyes.



"John, I'm sorry." Abby held her hands to her mouth; shocked that she'd actually hit him.



John couldn't believe he'd called her that. He never in his life had called a woman that before and it appalled him. He took a deep breath.



"Abby, I didn't think I had to tell you because I felt it. I thought you felt it too." He silently got back into the Jeep, laying his forehead against the steering wheel.



Abby stood in the darkness, tears threatening to pour from her eyes but they wouldn't. She had to keep control because if she allowed herself to break down now, she'd never leave this spot. She'd fall to the ground, tormented by the love she'd lost.



After several minutes of silently standing by the roadside, she finally climbed back into the jeep. John started the car and abruptly pulled back onto the highway towards home.





To be continued………