- Text Size +
Deb looked at John as they circled the site of the explosion. From the sky, it looked like mass chaos, flames shooting towards the skies, people running in all directions, too many fire trucks to count.



"Any idea how many people are still inside?" John yelled to the pilot who just shook his head.



"Don't know. They say it looks like there were several explosions. I do know the place is a two story and holds about 2500 people." The pilot stated.



"Why aren't we landing?" Deb asked.



"I'm waiting for the okay from the ground. They've had a few more detonations and they want to clear the roof before we land," he replied.



"The roof? I thought you said this building was on fire and you're setting us down on the roof?" John exclaimed, thinking this was not where he wanted to be at the moment.



"There are 2500 people in that place and the parking lots in the area are packed. There are nightclubs all over this place and unlike you and I, some people do go out on a Saturday night. This is the only place to set this thing down. Don't worry. We do this all the time." He reassured the doctors. John and Deb gathered their equipment, still strapped to their seats as they prepared to unfasten their belts and run.



Just as the helicopter was about to touched down, another blast was heard, the explosion threw the helicopter spiraling into the sky as the pilot desperately trying to regain control. All hell broke loose as they could feel the helicopter sputtering and jerking, equipment being tossed around like they were in a tornado. Both John and Deb had been slammed against their seats as their safety belts snapped tightly across their bodies. They tried to grasp onto the med boxes. John was suddenly grateful that they insisted on helmets, he felt his own head slam against the side window, snapping his neck. That would hurt tomorrow, he thought.



"Hang on, docs! We're going down! May day! May day! Medic Three going down!" The pilot yelled as the second medic looked at both John and Deb, absolute terror in his eyes as the helicopter began to spin wildly.



"Oh, God." Deb looked up at John, she was terrified. Then, they felt the craft flip over, followed by their rapid decent.



They were tossed around the inside of the aircraft as it plummeted toward the ground. John slammed his back against something sharp, their seatbelts held them tight. Things seemed to move in slow motion as the metal screeched and screamed. The huge blades sliced through everything in their path, splitting power lines, crushing into the sides of the buildings and the cars below as they crumbled. People screamed and news cameras turned their attention on the medical helicopter crashing to the ground.



~~~~~~~~~~~~



"This is Channel 6 with your live update. We're on the site of one of Chicago's biggest nightclubs where a night on the town has turned to disaster. There have been several explosions reported in this usually packed nightclub, trapping what some are saying thousands of people inside the burning walls. People have been…" The reporter was saying.



The hospital was bustling with energy, everyone who was off called in and reporting for duty as every hospital in town prepared for mass casualties. Randi turned up the television.



"… and they have called on several physicians from local area hospitals to assist with the excavations." The reporter stopped, listening to something on her earpiece.



"We have just been told that one of the medical helicopters carrying two doctors from County General has been hit by another explosion while trying to land…" The camera panned to the sight of the helicopter still falling to the ground, almost upside down and destroying everything on its way down with the deadly blades.



Everyone in the emergency room stopped, watching the terror unfold before them. Everything stopped as they watched the helicopter make a painfully slow decent, totally upside down. Metal began flying everywhere as the helicopter plummeted to the ground.



Abby stood frozen. She couldn't move, she couldn't breathe as she watched the horror unfolding before her. Everything around her had come to a complete standstill, every eye in the place watched.



"Oh, my God," came the voice over the television as they watched the helicopter crumble to the ground and explode on impact, becoming engulfed in flames. Instantly the fire crews on site began dousing the chopper, hoping for at least one survivor. Luka walked over to where Abby stood and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder.



"Why?" Was all she could say.



After several agonizing moments of watching the flames dance from the downed aircraft, shadows were seen trying to break free from the flames. Two figures came stumbling forward through the smoke, collapsing and were drenched by the hoses. Everyone watched closely and could tell that they both looked to be dressed as pilots. Then came another figure, carrying a smaller, limp figure, both wearing county issued flight jackets. A cheer rang out throughout the hospital as Luka turned Abby back toward the screen.



"He's okay." Luka pointed, as Abby blew out the breath that she wasn't even aware that she had been holding.



"Looks like our docs are all right people, now let's get back to work!" Dr. Weaver yelled, quickly wiping away a tear.



~~~~~~~~~~~~



One of the first patients to be brought in by ground was Dr. Jing-Mei Chen, who despite a broken arm had managed to assist the paramedics with several other burn victims. She hopped off the ambulance as it pulled up, covered in black soot and her arm in a sling but smiling nonetheless. Kerry met the ambulance and knew exactly why she was smiling.



"32 year old male, second degree burns covering both his legs, BP 160 over 110, pulse is 110, respirations 20. Oxygen and normal saline given in the field, he's stable." She rattled, helping push the gurney inside.



"Are you okay?" Kerry yelled.



"I think my arm's broken but I'm okay." Jing-Mei assured her.



"And John?" Abby asked, joining them. Jing-Mei smiled.



"He's fine, refused to come in. That was definitely not an 'E' ticket ride!" Jing-Mei joked, thankful to be back amongst familiar and safe surroundings.



"Abby, go take care of Jing-Mei. We have this one." Kerry instructed. Abby and Jing-Mei stood in the hall, watching the gurney being rolled into the trauma room.



"Hey, Jing-Mei, glad you're okay." Malik yelled on his way to meet another ambulance. Abby took the doctor into a quiet exam room.



"Are you really okay, Jing-Mei? I mean that must have been scary." Abby said, as the doctor sat on the exam bed.



"Abby, when he gets back here, you make sure you tell John how much you love him, okay? I thought we were going to die out there. I have never, ever been that scared in my life." She lay back on the bed, the tears of fear finally surfacing. Abby stroked her soot-covered hair.



"Don't worry. I don't plan on ever letting him out of my sight again." Abby joked, causing Jing-Mei to smile. "I'll be right back. I'm going to get the portable x-ray, okay?"



"I'm not going anywhere." Jing-Mei smiled. It was good to be home.



~~~~~~~~~~~~



Several hours and 79 patients later, John finally arrived with an ambulance. He was totally covered in black, his face streaked with soot, sweat and blood, the only clean place being his eyes where he'd obviously rubbed often. His hair was matted down and his clothes were torn and burned.



"Twenty six year old female complaining of difficulty breathing…" He began reciting the second the doors to the ambulance opened but he was abruptly halted by Abby wrapping herself around him hard enough to shove him back against the door as she kissed him. The paramedic laughed and he continued where John left off.



"You scared the shit out of me!" Abby yelled between kisses. Anyone near the bay doors caught sight of her scolding and laughed.



"I'm fine, Abby, really." He said as she kissed his entire face. She stood back finally, looking at him, checking for injuries.



"You don't look fine. Whose blood is this?" She asked, seeing his hair still wet with blood. John tried to pull away but she wouldn't allow it. She pulled his arm over her shoulder and began walking him inside. "You're going to get completely checked out. Did you hurt your back? What's your BP? Did you even have anyone check it?" She continued to scold. John was limping, which Luka noticed right away. He joined them, taking John's other arm, and placing it around his own shoulder. His height was a much better match to John's and helped considerably.



"Abby, go find Carter another set of clothes." Luka ordered. Abby released John and looked at Luka confused. Luka's eyes told her he needed a minute with John to assess him properly. John seemed relieved.



"Man, has she been like that all night?" John asked as Luka led him into the exam room.



"Only since the helicopter crashed." Luka tried to joke. John chuckled but he held his side. "Let's get that jacket off. Carter, were you burned at all?" He asked, seeing the shape the jacket was in.



"I was in a helicopter engulfed in flames." John half smiled, wincing as Luka checked the back of John's neck. It was bright red and part of his hair was singed.



"Good thing you had the jacket on." Luka helped John lie down as he continued looking over his body. "How's your back? Jing-Mei said you were slammed around pretty hard in there."



"How is she?" John asked, wincing where Luka checked his leg.



"She's fine. She should only be in a cast for a few weeks. Fracture was minor. Does this hurt?" Luka pressed on his stomach. John shook his head. Luka then touched his rib and John thought he's shoot through the roof in pain.



"Yes! Oh, fuck, that hurts! Remind me to never do that to another patient." He gasped for air, holding his side.



Abby opened the door and peered in, "Can I help?" She asked, stepping inside and taking John's hand. She knew what the rules were but this was John after all. Luka nodded.



"I need a CBC, Chem 7, blood gas, chest film, get an IV started with D5W and set up a pulse ox. Abby, he'll need a catheter." Luka stated.



"What?" John sat up quickly, doubling over in pain.



Luka smiled, "Just kidding. I think you'll be fine. Looks like minor burns and some broken ribs but let's do the tests to make sure, all right?" Luka checked his vitals. He documented on the chart as Abby started the IV and Kerry came in.



"I heard you finally decided to come back. Still trying to get out of the last few hours of your shift, Dr. Carter?" She asked, looking over his chart.



John shrugged. "Not going to work, huh?" He smiled as Abby hung the fluids and activated the pulse ox, it beeped, the red graph light reached steadily higher.



"Hm. Lets get films of your chest and then we'll talk." Kerry winked, checking his gash on the side of his head. "This is going to need stitches. What is it with you and your head?" She kidded, trying to keep the situation light. He didn't look to be badly hurt. "Nurse Lockhart, do you think you can get Dr. Carter here undressed and into a gown?"



"Dr. Weaver, come on," John complained.



"I think I can do that," Abby grinned.



"You're lucky, Carter. The pilots of the chopper are also going to be fine, thanks to you. They told me you helped them out while your own jacket was on fire." Kerry said. Abby looked at John and he smiled sheepishly.



"Yeah, well, if I'd have known I was on fire, I might not have been so brave, Dr. Weaver, but thanks. Just don't admit me, okay?" He begged. He hated being a patient.



"We'll be back in a minute. Dr. Weaver, can I speak to you?" Luka asked, motioning for them to step out.



"I don't think we need to admit him," Luka suggested.



"He has a bad gash on his head and may have a concussion, he should be observed at least over night." Kerry argued. She was just overly concerned for John.



"Kerry, believe me with Abby around, he'll be watched. Besides he's my patient and I'm releasing him and I'm sending Abby home with him.



Abby looked into John's eyes, "You were on fire?" She asked.



"It was nothing, Abby," he said wiping the dirt from his face. She leaned down and kissed his lips softly.



"I thought I lost you," she whispered.



"I'm not going anywhere, Abby, you're stuck with me," he said.



~~~~~~~~~~~~



"You need anything?" Abby called from the kitchen.



"I'm fine." John said from the couch. Abby got a new bottle of water for him and she returned to her position on the couch. John leaned back against her chest where he had been resting since they'd gotten home. Abby stroked his hair. They sat silently, watching the flames in the fireplace dance. John had insisted they light it and had been mesmerized by it since.



"John?" Abby asked, kissing his head. John grunted sleepily. Even after working such a long shift, he was unable to fall asleep. "Were you scared?" She asked, speaking in almost a hushed tone. John thought for several minutes.



"I guess I should have been but no, I wasn't. It all happened very fast. I thought about you, though," he smiled, nuzzling against the arm she had draped over his chest.



"You did?" Abby's stomach did a triple flip.



"Yep," he nodded. "I figured that if it was my time to die, that I don't think I could have spent the last couple weeks of my life any happier. I figured that because of you, that I was ready to die," he stated. Abby wasn't sure how to take that comment.



"Because of me, you were ready to die?" She repeated, trying to understand.



"Yeah, I mean we've gotten to a place that I'm comfortable with, you know? Finally having you is something that I've wanted for so long and I think you feel the same or at least close to the same about me as you know I do for you," he explained, getting heavy eyed.



"I don't say 'I love you' to just anyone, John," Abby smiled.



"Good. Well, I just figured that it was a good time to die," he said, falling asleep.



"You did, did you?" She asked.



"Yep, you are the one thing in my life I haven't failed at. I do a good job loving you," he mumbled, finally drifting off against Abby's chest.



"That you do, John Carter. That you do," she smiled sadly.



John was so convinced that he had failed at everything in his life. His family, his relationships, even being a doctor but Abby knew differently. She could see the pride in his mother's eyes. She knew how his grandmother relied on him. She knew how respected he was amongst his colleges and fellow work associates. And she knew how much he loved her. Abby had no doubt in her mind that John Carter would die if she were to ever leave him. He was totally devoted to her and had been for a very long time. And Abby never wanted to be the source of his pain.





To be continued........