- Text Size +
John parked his jeep in the garage and leaned in for one last, passionate kiss. Abby ran her hands through his hair, sucking his tongue into her mouth. John cupped her breast, rubbing his thumb across her hard nipple.



"Stop," Abby pushed him away, giggling. "We can't do this." She straightened her shirt.



"You're right." John moaned. "So, mum's the word, right?" He said as they got out of the car.



"At least for now." She smiled, his arm going subconsciously around her shoulders. Abby pushed his arm off.



"Stop touching me," Abby giggled. He groaned playfully.



"But it's so hard not to. I could touch you someplace else." He winked.



"You are a horny little rabbit, aren't you?" She laughed as the walked toward the ER.



"I believe that Veronica called me insatiable." He smiled proudly. She giggled.



They walked into the ER, keeping their safe distances and wiping the smiles off their faces. Kerry stood behind the desk and she looked up.



"You two are even on time. I'm impressed." She smiled, happy to see John looking much better.



"Just ready to get back to work, Dr. Weaver," John smiled as he logged in to the computer. Abby had already gone into the lounge to put her purse away.



"How's your hand?" She asked. John held it out so she could inspect it. Stitches looked good, swelling was down, and the bruising was beginning to fade. She nodded her approval. "John, are you feeling up to this?" Kerry asked, quietly making sure he was in the right frame of mind. He smiled with his entire face. He leaned in close.



"Kerry, I am better than I have been in years, okay? Thank you for everything you did but I'm just fine." He reassured her, touching her hand gently. John never touched her affectionately. She found herself blushing.



"I'm happy to hear that, go stow your stuff and I'll pass the patients off to you. You're in charge tonight." She smiled. She watched him bounce into the lounge, a spring in his step she hadn't seen in a very long time.



John smiled as he stopped at the door, watching Abby at her locker. They were alone in the lounge.



"Stop," She smiled, feeling his stare. He continued to his own locker. "Insatiable." She whispered from behind. He laughed as she left the lounge and headed to the desk.



"Busy day?" Abby asked. Haleh nodded.



"And then some, should mean for a slow night." The older nurse said. Abby listened intently to the report on the current patients as she watched John receive report from Kerry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~



"You check out the guy in two?" Abby asked, returning to the admit desk. John was wiping a name off the board. They were well into their shift and work had been steady enough to let them think about the patients.



"I did." He nodded, "already discharged." He smiled, watching her bending over and picking up the paper she's accidentally dropped.



Chuni walked around the corner and smiled, "Careful Dr. Carter, your eyes may fall out."



Abby stood and she glared playfully at him. He shook his head, trying to shake out the thoughts of her lingerie earlier.



"You have patients to see." She scolded as she walked by. He chuckled.



"So, the roommate thing's working out, yes?" Chuni snickered. John just blushed.



"Perfectly platonic, Chuni." He answered.



"Yeah sure, Carter, sure." She replied with a hint of sarcasm.



~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Okay, who's next?" John placed the file in the rack and he looked up at the board, the totally clean, empty board.



"No one, unless you wanna give me a pedicure?" Randi said, filing her nails. The nurses were sitting around playing poker and everything was perfectly quiet.



"Uh, no thanks. Randi. I'm going to grab some coffee and take a break. Page me if anything comes in." He said, heading toward the lounge.



"Sure thing, Doc." Randi acknowledged.



Several minutes later, Abby finished restocking the trauma room.



"Who's winning?" She asked the nurses.



"I am." Chuni showed her the pile of tongue depressors she'd won. "Why don't you take your lunch, Abby? Nothing going on around here." She suggested. Abby looked around.



"Where is everyone?" It was strange to see the ER so quiet.



"Gallant is sleeping in four and Carter's on lunch." She winked.



"That sounds like a good idea." She headed for the lounge to try and figure out where John was.



She opened her locker to get her cigarettes out and a note fell out. She opened it quickly. It simply read 'Basement'. She smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~



"John?" She called, stepping off the elevator and into the deserted basement. She could hear music playing. "Oh, John?" She called. He stepped out of a storage room and leaned against the door jam. He held out a plastic cup.



"Drink?" He whispered seductively. His eyes were twinkling and a smirk played on his lips.



"Why, thank you, doctor." She smiled, accepting the cup, standing just inches in front of him.



"Let me show you something." He held out his hand and led her into the storage room.



Abby looked around. From the outside, it appeared to be a simple, overstuffed storage room. With one turn around an old bed frame, she saw a small space cleared out and an old cot up against the wall, a bedside table with some candles and a small battery operated radio. She began to giggle.



"Did you do all this?" She smiled. John winked.



"I'd love to take credit for it but no, Doug Ross set it up years ago. He used to bring Carol down here." He led Abby to the cot. She stopped.



"John Carter, how many other girls have been down here?" She stood with her hands on her hips. He held his hands up in defense.



"I've never brought anyone here, well, that's not true. There was this nurse up in Ortho but that was a very long time ago." He stated. Abby playfully knocked him over. "Really, only Mark and I know about it." He pulled Abby down on top of him, attacking her neck. She tried to get up but he wouldn't let her.



"John, I can't do this." She laughed. He rolled her over and she was now under him. She squealed with his playfulness.



"Abby, I'm going crazy." He laughed, nuzzling her neck. Abby pushed him off and he fell to the floor. "Ow!" He sat on his butt, both of them giggling.



"John, I can't do this at work." She smiled. John got on his knees and leaned on the bed. He kissed her sweetly.



"That's ok. I lost 'it' anyway. I think hitting the floor had something to do with that." He joked, still smiling. "Chuni thinks we're down here doing the 'nasty'."



"I thought we were keeping quiet." She playfully ran her finger across his lips. She looked into his warm, gentle, loving eyes and liked what she saw there. He could see only her.



"Hey, I told her it was platonic." He defended himself.



She leaned in and kissed his lips. Kissing John was like nothing Abby had ever experienced in her life. When their lips touched, she felt dizzy and tingly and her stomach did flips. When she tasted his taste, she melted in his arms, wanting more.



"Platonic, huh?" She stuck out her tongue and licked his lips. He quickly sucked it into his mouth, intensifying the kiss. His mouth demanded her surrender, which she did willingly. Abby tried to pull back but he held her head with his hand behind the nape of her neck and soon, the outside world faded away. John was hungrily searching her mouth, making her toes curl and she found herself reaching for his body and pulling him up onto the cot.



"It's back." John mumbled, their mouths still together. Abby grunted a question and he took a hold of her hand and placed it on his groin. Abby purred.



They quickly fumbled with each other's clothes, John pushing Abby's sweater up so he could reach her breasts, Abby pulling his tie to the side and undoing buttons on his shirt.



John began to kiss down her belly, opening her slacks as he did. Abby lifted her hips as he pulled them lower and he groaned audibly as he made his way down. He again knelt on the floor, pulling her slacks and panties down past her knees as he pressed her knees apart. Abby leaned back against the wall, scooting her hips to the edge of the cot, giving John full access.



"Oh, John!" She whimpered. Her hips involuntarily moving forward. He grasped onto her ass, pulling her closer. John pulled his face away, gasping for a breath.



"Abby, I need to be inside you." He kissed her inner thigh. He noticed the hickey he'd left this afternoon and smiled. She pulled him up between her legs, kissing his wet face.



"I want you inside me." She whispered, kissing down his neck, tasting herself mixed with his own sweat. John quickly slipped out of his slacks and carefully lay on top of her half naked body. He slipped his hand under her sweater; so thankful Abby didn't have to wear a bra. He kissed and bit down her neck. Slowly he slid into her depths.



"Oh, God, Abby." He groaned, feeling her clenching her muscles around him. He began stroking immediately, a quick thrust in, a slow withdraw and quickly back in. In only seconds, they were both growling like cats in heat as they thrust together, their passion being the only thing in existence.



"Oh, John, come with me." She begged, thrusting up to meet his hips.



John thrust a few more times before exploding with a loud groan. Abby slammed up, holding him suspended as all her muscles contracted, holding him tightly.



"John! God!" She yelled. Slowly, they collapsed, neither having the strength to move.



"Jesus, Abby. How do you do that to me every time? I always knew loving you would be intense but Christ, I have never had sex like this in my life." He laughed, kissing her sweaty neck. She chuckled.



"You have no idea how happy I am to hear that. I thought you were just really good." She joked. He lifted a bit, looking her in the eyes.



"Oh, but I am." He said seriously.



"You are. That you are." She giggled. "How long do you think we've been down here?" She asked as they pulled themselves apart. John looked at his watch.



"My hours up in five. You should probably stay down here a while after I go on up, wouldn't want people to suspect anything." He winked, kissing her on the cheek.



"Well, you better go watch your face. You smell like me." She laughed.



"I like it." He smiled as he stood, putting his pants back on. Abby put her arms up over her head and rested on her hands.



"Yeah, I'll just lie here, basking in the afterglow." She smiled, looking satiated. John fixed his clothes, watching Abby watch him.



"See you up there." He bent over and had one last, passionate kiss.



"Wash your face!" Abby scolded, laughing as John left. She closed her eyes and smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~



John came out of the bathroom, whistling to himself. Chuni came around the corner and she stopped.



"Find Abby?" She asked. John put his finger up to his lips.



"Please?" He asked, holding her by the shoulders. She giggled and shook her head.



"All I can say is it's about time." She smiled, vowing to keep their secret.

~~~~~~~~~~~~



Abby returned upstairs just as a trauma was rushing in, John managed to glance at her as he ran alongside.



"MVA, head-on, going over fifty miles an hour, ejected from the vehicle, thrown over 100 feet, Major road rash, open fracture of the tibia, blunt abdominal trauma, lost about a liter in the field. This guy's a mess." The paramedics called out.



Abby watched them disappear into the trauma room. People rushed past her, everyone knowing their role all too well. She backed toward the admit desk, watching John call out orders and everyone scrambling to keep up with him. He had complete command of the entire staff and did everything he could for the patient. She could see herself spending the rest of her life with this man as she smiled to herself.



"You look happy." She heard from behind. She turned around to see Luka as he came on for his shift. Abby blushed, trying to shake the wonderful feeling off.



"Just coming on?" She asked, busying herself with a pile of charts.



"I'm early. Are they okay in there?" He pointed to the trauma room. She nodded.



"I think so. Carter's in there." She said, trying to look disinterested. She could feel Luka staring at her.



"You look like you just . . Oh, never mind." He chuckled to himself. She looked at him strangely.



"Like what?" She asked quietly. He looked at her and laughed quietly.



"Nothing," She playfully punched him as he logged onto the computer.



"Like what? Come on, Luka. Like what?" She laughed, embarrassed.



"Like you just had sex," He whispered, bending to get close to her ear. Abby looked at him shocked.



"What?" She exclaimed. He motioned with his hand.



"Your face gets all . . . flushed and your eyes get dark and dreamy." He explained tenderly. He was amused by her bashfulness.



"I do not." She denied. "And I didn't!" She walked away.



"Abby, I didn't say you did." Luka called, still chuckling. She waved him off and went to go check on her patient.

~~~~~~~~~~~~



John came out of the lounge, now dressed in scrubs, and walked out onto the bay area. He'd worked hours on the MVA, cutting and sewing, tubing and clamping but nothing had worked. Maybe if Benton had been there, the kid would have made it. Maybe if Greene had been the doc on duty. Maybe even if Luka had come in before he did, the kid might still be alive, but not with him. John Carter, MD had failed. He looked up at the El train going by, the cars almost empty at this early hour. John's back throbbed from the angle he'd kept himself in for hours, reminding him of his weakness. He just wanted to toss his lab coat over the front desk and walk, no, run away. He didn't do anyone any good being here. He didn't help people. He killed them.



He held back a sob, as he was overwhelmed with the feeling of being a failure, of being a disappointment to everyone he'd respected for so long - his family, his colleagues, and his friends. His stomach churned as he fought the urge to vomit. Just minutes before, he had his hands around a young man's heart, trying to repair the damage that was long since terminal. His arms, his pants, his lab coat were all soaked in the warm blood, coating his skin. He worked and he worked until he was so exhausted, he just couldn't go on another minute. He'd looked around at the eyes of his coworkers, all just staring at him and his feeble attempt to put back together parts. He stripped off his goggles, gown and gloves and walked straight into the showers.



It was nights like these that he truly wished he were taking some kind of painkillers, something to stop his emotions. He'd been so up and down over the past week that his insides were all mixed up. Let alone the flashes in his head that he kept having of every person who had taken a piece of him and crushed it before his eyes were getting to him. He felt like he was going mad, losing his mind as he focused harder on the lifeless body lying before him.



He thought of Abby, her face watching him through the window. She was so beautiful and he knew he should be happy but for some reason, something held him back. After being on the sidelines for so many years, he knew all his dreams were coming true but at the same time, it was too much, too fast. The emotions that had come rushing to the surface once they shared their mutual attraction were suffocating. They were so intense that they hurt. He couldn't stand to be away from her for a second yet couldn't handle having her near. She'd been there during his therapy sessions. Just what did Abby know about him that he didn't know about himself? She was a threat yet a comfort at the same time. She scared him. What he felt for her scared him even more. He felt he would die without her.



"Hey." He heard the familiar voice. She held up a lit cigarette.



"Hey." He said, still looking down and nervously shifting from foot to foot. He accepted the cigarette and inhaled deeply. "That's not quite what I wanted." He stated. Abby nodded her head.



"I know." She said, rubbing her arms briskly. "Luka said you did everything you could in there." She informed. He nodded, still looking at the cracks in the cement.



"I know. Just doesn't feel like it, you know?" He looked up at her, needing to see safety in her eyes. She smiled, meeting his gaze.



"You know how much I love you, right?" He questioned, wishing they could touch. Abby nodded her head.



"Almost as much as I love you," She said, holding his stare. He paused and smiled slowly.



"Yeah, I know." He nodded. "Let's get back in there. It's too cold out here." He walked with Abby back into the emergency room.



To be continued........