- Text Size +
9-Quo Vadis



John had spent the entire morning with Millicent and her attorney. Mr. Stern had met with them in her hospital room. Millicent had asked the attorney to draw up papers giving John power of attorney to make a deal with Jill's lawyers. She also wanted to make sure that John was given authority to oversee all of her medical care and she made some revisions to her will and signed a DNR order.

She explained to John that under no circumstances were extraordinary measures to be taken to prolong her life. John took her hand and kissed it resting his face against her palm as she explained to him that she had led a full and wonderful life and was now ready to be with John Sr.

"Oh, John, I'm not planning on dying tomorrow, I just want you to understand that I am ready, for when the time comes." She gestured for him to come closer. "I love you, John and I am very proud of you." She spoke softy as she held his face in her hands. John reached out and embraced her, holding on; not wanting too ever let her go.

"Uhhmm," Mr. Stern cleared his throat reminding them that he was still there. He only needed her signature on a few more papers and he would be done.

Millicent had also explained to Mr. Stern that she wanted to set up a trust fund for both Dave and Maura and that John would oversee the process. After their meeting, John had asked Mr. Stern to accompany him to brunch while they worked out details of the trust funds and a settlement for Jill.

~~~~~~~~

John had left to pick up Dave from work. He had had another emotionally filled morning and was ready for a bit of a diversion, as he and Dave had planned on doing some Christmas shopping before going home.

Thanksgiving was only a few days away and they had both managed to get a couple of days off before hand. Since they had to work Thanksgiving Day and Gamma would still be in the hospital, they had made plans to celebrate the day before.

As soon as they had arrived home, Kathryn was ready to leave. She had family coming from out of town and had also been given the next few days off.

Dave had spoken to his sister, Camille. She was planning on bringing Marie to spend the holiday. He explained their schedule and their plans and Camille had agreed to come on Tuesday and stay for a couple of days.

Maura was so excited when she saw the many packages, bags and boxes that the guys brought in and piled up into the study. After they had finished unloading the Jeep, John locked the study and smiled at her as she pouted that it was still too long before Christmas.

Dave gathered her up into his arms as they all decided to go down to the lake and go ice-skating. Maura had managed to get Kathryn to take her down a few times and John and Dave took her every chance they got, but they rarely had the opportunity to go together.

~~~~~~~~

Tuesday morning, Dave didn't want to wake from the dream he was having. He was dreaming of being stranded on a deserted tropical island paradise with John and didn't want it to end. He felt the bed give slightly around him. Opening his eyes, he smiled to see John leaning over him softly kissing at his neck.

"God, what a wonderful way to wake up." Dave sighed heavily as he felt John's erection pressing firmly against his. "You are so beautiful when you're aroused, but�.." Dave found himself momentarily lost in a deep passionate kiss, their tongues dueling with each other's until neither one of them could breathe. John had begun to kiss down Dave's chest.

"John�..uhmmm �.. I�uhhh�.." Dave could hardly speak with what John was doing to him. John's hand began to roam along Dave's thighs but quickly realized that Dave was no longer hard. Understanding the reason why, John rolled off of Dave to let him up.

"Just give me a minute." Dave got up and ran towards the bathroom. John followed Dave.

"I'm going to take a shower, when you're finished, come join me." John flashed him a wicked grin as he turned the water on and stepped into the shower.

Dave soon followed John into the shower wrapping his arms around John's slender waist. John turned around to come face to face with Dave leaning over to kiss his neck in the place that he knew drove him crazy. Stroking lightly along John's rigid cock, Dave figured he had made John wait long enough. Spurred on by John's soft moans, Dave slid down to his knees where he could take John into his mouth.

"Oh... God!" John cried as he felt Dave glide his warm, wet mouth tightly up and down his hard shaft. John began to buck his hips, pushing deep into Dave's throat. He had been so hard for so long that he knew it wouldn't take much to make him come. Dave began to feverishly suck harder on John's weeping cock as he felt him throbbing and ready to burst.

"Oh Dave, God yes�" John cried out as he came, holding on to Dave's shoulders. Dave swallowed hard as the warm semen spilled down his throat. He stood and firmly embraced John allowing him enough time to catch his breath.

Dave picked up the bath sponge and poured a generous amount of body wash onto it and began rubbing it gently over John's body. John in turn poured some shampoo into his hands and began tenderly massaging it through Dave's hair as they passionately bathed each other. Kissing and touching, and tantalizing, they were so into each other as they continued to make out.

"Let's finish this on the bed." Dave whispered as they rinsed off and stepped out of the shower. Grabbing a couple of towels he handed one to John. They quickly dried off and threw the towels over the shower door. Making their way into the bedroom. John quickly checked both doors leading to the outside hallway and to the living room so they wouldn't get any unexpected visitors.

Dave had already found the lube and had squeezed out a generous amount into his hand as he waited for John to return to the bed. John lay down on his stomach and spread out giving Dave full access to his ass. Dave made quick work of applying the lube, gently stretching him as he inserted a finger then another until John was begging Dave to take him. Penetrating slowly at first until he was fully engulfed by John's tightness. John raised up on his knees giving them a better position to move together. Dave's hand snaked around to catch hold of John's cock. The sensation Dave was creating in him had brought him back to life once more. Dave stroked him firmly as he continued to pump into John deeper and deeper with each movement until he could hold back no longer. Leaning against John's back he felt the warmth of John spill into his palm as his own release filled John completely. Rolling John with him onto their sides they collapsed together as they lay totally spent.

~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile Corrine was on her way downstairs when she noticed Maura sitting in the middle of the hall cross-legged with her chin in her hands and a frown on her face.

"Hey, why the sad face?" Corrine knelt down to her level.

"My daddy's door is locked." Maura pouted, her wide eyes fixed on Corrine.

"Did you knock?" Corrine asked picking her up.

"Yeah, but they won't answer." She continued to sulk.

"Maybe they're still asleep." Corrine stepped towards the door close enough to hear that the boys certainly would not want to be disturbed.

"Come on, I'll help you get dressed and we'll go down and you can help me make your daddy's some breakfast." Corrine carried Maura into the bedroom and helped her pick out some clothes.

"Why wouldn't they let me come in and play with them." Maura was still upset about not seeing her daddy's.

"Well, sometimes they just need some private time to themselves." Corrine tried to explain."

~~~~~~~~

Corrine and Maura had begun by setting the table and making coffee. Corrine poured the water into the coffee maker and was showing Maura how to measure the grounds. Next they made hash browns and sausage.

They had just finished the scrambled eggs when John and Dave came bouncing down the stairs all freshly showered and shaven. They were both dressed in jeans and colored Polo shirts. They were laughing and carrying on like a couple of schoolboys.

"Mmmmm smells good. I'm starved." Dave announced as he joyfully picked up Maura. "How's my little girl this morning?" Dave asked suddenly noticing the frown. He sat her in her booster seat and pulled a chair up along side of her as John sat across from them.

"She's a little upset with you boys because you didn't answer your door this morning when she came to see you." Corrine offered as she served the boys coffee.

John and Dave both blushed, as they bit back their snickering. "I'm sorry, Sweetie, we didn't hear you knock." Dave almost choked on his words noticing the glare he was getting from Corrine.

"What?" Dave asked glaring back defensively. "We were getting dressed, Jeesh, can't a guy have a little privacy without having to explain in details," he growled.

"Maura what do you want to do today?" John quickly tried to change the subject, seeing that this conversation was beginning to upset Dave.

Corrine had them start eating their breakfast before it got cold, satisfied that Maura's attitude changed to one of interest as she told John what she wanted.

"Can we go see Gamma?" Maura's eyes lit up as she spoke. She understood that it was a holiday time and knew that Millicent would have to stay in the hospital.

"Sure, that sounds like a great idea." Dave said through a mouthful of food. John agreed and said that they would go right after breakfast.

~~~~~~~~

The rest of the morning passed rather quickly. John had sent Algier to pick Dave's family up from the airport. Marie had called John a few days earlier to ask if it would be all right to bring Dave's brother, Eddie and his wife Margaret along. John thought that it would be a great idea. He knew that Dave had not seen much of his family in the last couple of years and wanted it to be a surprise.

"Eddie! It's so good to see you." Dave shouted in delight, grabbing his big brother in a bear hug.

"Yo, Dave." He squeezed him tightly, lifting him right off the ground.

"Oh, wow." Dave smiled at Margaret in amazement as he automatically placed his hand on her very pregnant belly. Leaning his ear close to her as if he could hear the baby inside.

"Hey, Little Bambino, when are you coming out to play with your Uncle Dave?" He spoke to her tummy causing everyone to laugh hysterically.

Dave turned back to Eddie as he teased him about becoming a father. Together they got lost in a conversation and seemed to disappear from the crowd.

John stood back and watched Dave's antics in amusement as he greeted the women and showed them to their rooms.

~~~~~~~~

Later, in the evening they had all joined together in the Billiards room. This had become one of their favorite places to hang out. Kathryn had brought her sister, Michelle over to meet Maura and the men that she worked for. Michelle could not believe that Kathryn lived with two such gorgeous men.

They all seemed to be getting along wonderfully, Marie had finally left the 'kids' alone as she offered to put Maura to bed and spend the rest of the evening with Corrine.

Kathryn and Michelle played a game of pool against Dave and John as Eddie and Margaret sat at the bar with Camille. They watched the game merrily as Camille began to think about how long it had been since she had seen her brothers together. It had really been a very long time. She had managed to keep in fairly close contact with Dave while she had spent the last two years helping Marie care for Maura. She had only seen Eddie a few times, since he was married and seemed to have a life of his own.

She was really happy for Dave as she watched him interact with John. They absolutely radiated affection around each other and their friendly love pats that they occasionally shared made it clear how truly and hopelessly in love they were.

They also seemed to both completely enjoy Kathryn's company. They all seemed to get along well and Camille could she that between the three of them she had nothing to worry about where Maura was concerned.

As the evening wore on, Kathryn and Michelle left. Eddie and Margaret had begun paying a bit more attention to each other, as did Dave and John.

Camille found herself the odd one out as she sat alone on the couch at the opposite side of the room, sipping her glass of white wine. John and Dave were still involved in what had become a rather serious game of pool while Eddie and Margaret where becoming a bit more serious with each other.

John took a long drink of his cream soda as he noticed Camille sitting alone. He discreetly pointed her out to Dave as he whispered towards him.

"Is she okay?" John asked, concerned that she had maybe had a bit too much wine.

Dave furrowed his brow towards John and shrugged before going over to check on her.

Camille had been intently watching her brothers. Their family had always worked hard at trying to stay close. During the times that she had recently spent with Dave and even the few times since she had met John they had had some very close connections and she had always thought that she could talk to him about anything.

Dave sat next to her and asked her what was wrong, be could tell that something was bothering her and he hoped that she would talk to him about it.

Camille continued to watch Eddie. He seemed to be totally absorbed with Margaret and they seemed to be very happy together. She was so happy for him that he was finally going to have the family that he had always wanted.

Eddie was the oldest and always seemed to endure the brunt of their father's 'punishments'. For years Marie had always worked outside the home to help support her children as her husbands alcoholic ways didn't always supply the needed money to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads. But she had loved him and never knew the horrors that her boys endured at his hands when she wasn't around.

Dave was a very small child, not growing to his full height until he was nearly out of High School. He had never been beaten as severely as Eddie had but was subject more to the mental and emotional abuse of his father always calling him stupid and worthless.

Camille had always felt guilty because she was the baby and her daddy's little 'princess' who could do nothing wrong. The boys were always blamed for everything and even when she would tell her father that she had broken it, or forgotten to put it away, he would not listen and one of her brother would suffer for her mistakes.

She had always felt that it was her fault that her brothers moved out as soon as they could get jobs and afford a place of there own. Dave was only 15 when he had left home. With Eddie's assurance that he would make sure Dave stayed in school his mother at reluctantly agreed to allow them to move out. The boys had found a very nice little studio apartment in an elderly ladies converted garage. They worked anywhere and everywhere that would hire them and did odd jobs for many of the local senior citizens. Dave continued going to High School and kept his grade up to straight A's. He worked hard and saved his money determined to one day prove his father wrong about him.

~~~~~~~~

Dave sat along side Camille waiting for her to open up to him.

"We have always tried to work so hard to be a close family and I was the one that had to ruin in for everyone." She leaned against him as the tears began to stream down her cheeks.

Eddie turned around to see Camille crying, with her head buried against Dave's chest. He grabbed a handful of napkins from the bar and went to her, kneeling down in front of her.

"Don't you ever blame yourself for what that bastard did." Eddie dabbed at her tears allowing her to stay in the comfort of Dave's embrace.

"But it's all my fault that mother divorced him if only I had......" Camille cried harder unable to finish her sentence.

"Camille, you listen to me," Eddie demanded. "What he did to me was nothing compared to what he tried to do to you. If I ever see him, I'll kill the bastard."

Camille had told Eddie long ago that the reason that their mother kicked there father out and divorce him was because after the boys had left home and Camille had turned 18, her father had tried to rape her. She managed to get away from him and told her mother but she had also told Marie all about how he had treated the boys and why they had moved away.

Dave couldn't believe what he was hearing as Eddie filled him in on all the missing details and continued to hold his crying sister.

"Oh God, Camille, I am so sorry," Dave smoothed her hair with his hand while John and Margaret watched and listened in silence. Margaret knew most of Eddie's past but knew nothing of what had happened to Camille. John had only heard bit's and pieces from Dave, just enough to gather that his father was an alcoholic whom abused his sons but Dave never liked talking about it and most of the time refused to do so.

~~~~~~~~

The next morning Marie had insisted on helping Corrine prepared the Thanksgiving dinner. The two women got along wonderfully as Marie insisted that Corrine fill her in on everything. Marie was concerned that with the long hours that the boys worked that they wouldn't have enough time to devote to Maura. Corrine assured her that the boys absolutely doted on her and between Kathryn and herself there was always someone around to watch over her.

Marie had been pleased with the idea that Kathryn thought so highly of Maura and the boys that she would take time out of her holiday vacation to bring her sister over to meet them. As the family sat down together John had insisted that Corrine join them. She had always been a part of his family as far as he was concerned. John and Dave sat together as they each gave thanks. They all agreed that they each had plenty to be thankful for.

~~~~~~~~~

The following morning was actually Thanksgiving Day. Before going to work, Susan had visited Millicent and given her a bouquet of lilies. After a few not so pleasant words about being allergic to them, Susan excused herself to go get a cup of coffee. She knew John would be by to visit and was hoping to see him. She had been on her way back to look for John when she over heard Millicent's remarks about her trying to impress John. She decided that she had better just leave.

While Susan was going for coffee, John had arrived to visit his grandmother only to find out that she was upset over the fact that Susan had been there and had brought her flowers.

"Lilies no less. What does she think, I'm dying?" Millicent ranted on.

"Oh, that's silly, Gamma, of course she doesn't think you're dying." John couldn't keep himself from laughing at her remark.

"John doesn't your friend know that you are in a relationship?" She spoke softly.

"What difference does that make?" John asked trying to avoid the question. "She's just a friend."

"Well, John it's only obvious the woman is trying to impress you. Why else would she be sending me flowers?" Millicent retorted indignantly.

"I'm sure she meant well." John tried to pacify her.

John was really not in the mood for this. "Well, Gamma, I really need to get to work. I'll come check on you later." John gave his grandmother a hug and kiss before leaving.

~~~~~~~~

As John arrived in the ER, Susan had met up with him as he was headed towards the admit desk. Together they began getting ready to start their day. They were both finishing cups of coffee as they checked through the morning charts to see what was in store for them.

"You could have told me," Susan scolded, talking about the flowers she had sent his grandmother.

"I didn't know," John came back, feigning innocent. How would he have had any idea that Susan would even think to send Gamma flowers?

"Who's allergic to lilies?" She remarked annoyed at the idea that she had gotten off on a bad start with Millicent and now it seemed as though she had only made matters worse.

"She may not have appreciated the symbolism," he declared.

"Symbolism?" She questioned, not having a clue as to what he meant.

"Lilies are for funerals," John informed her matter-of-factly.

"Oh God. I'm sorry," she groaned at the idea that had indeed made things worse between herself and Millicent.

"I just wanted to send her some flowers." Susan pulled a few charts as Mark went for the phone.

"You sent his grandmother flowers?" Mark chimed in.

"I can't seem to get in her good graces." She confided in Mark. He just looked at her wondering why she felt she needed too.

"How's her leg anyway?" She asked, turning back to address John again.

"I think she's still more concerned about the girl that she hit." He gathered up a few charts and started to leave the area.

"I thought that girl was better." She followed after him, also loaded down with charts

"Uh, she's in an upswing. Got a much bigger bank account," He confessed. John had been surprised at the fact that Jill had settled so easily. She had been very understanding of the fact that his grandmother was not well, so he was willing to be very generous.

"She settled?" She continued.

"A very good offer," he answered not really wanting to discuss the finer details he took off to get started.

~~~~~~~~

Eventually things had settled down and they were seeing patients. John had a newly married couple who claimed they had quit using condoms because they were trying to get pregnant. As it turned out every time that they had sex the woman would break out in hives. John was at his wits end when he finally decided to conduct a little experiment.

John decided to explore the possibility that she may be allergic to her husband's semen. He set them up in an exam room where they could have sex and could be monitored afterwards to prove his theory.

John was taking care of other patients while he waited for the results of his experiment. When Susan discovered what he was doing she all but accused him of running a brothel.

"It's not a brothel if they're married," he claimed in an effort to justify what he was doing.

After a while, John stopped out side the exam room to check on his patients. He observed Susan sitting at a gurney in the curtain area just outside. She appeared to be listening to them.

"What are you doing?" He snuck up on her from behind.

"I'm getting caught up on my charts," she fibbed, gesturing towards the pile on the gurney.

"You where listening," he smiled, pointing towards the exam room.

"No," she denied.

"You were," he teased. "You were listening to them having sex." He snickered as they bantered playfully back and forth.

"I am not," Susan denied, refusing to admit it.

"You usually chart at admit or in the lounge." He observed continuing to make fun of her.

"I can chart anywhere I want and I don't need to listen to your porno patients for kicks." She playfully defended herself.

They suddenly realized that the couple had stopped. Susan accompanied John in to speak with them. They had been unable to complete the process because they felt uncomfortable doing it in the hospital. Later that day they had come back after having had sex elsewhere.

John was just happy to find out that his diagnosis had proved to be right all along.

~~~~~~~~

Towards the end of their shift, Susan had invited John to the roof for a coffee break. Leaning over the concrete wall she commented on his patients. "They're sweet, I hope they get pregnant."

"It shouldn't be a problem, an androconologist can wash the sperm then it's safe to artificially inseminate." He explained the procedure.

"Mmmm that's a new one." She teased.

"Just goes to teach you never to doubt my diagnosis." He waved his finger at her.

"Yeah, no matter how loony they are." She bantered. "I can't believe that they did it in the back of a pick up truck."

"They had a camper shell," he smiled sweetly.

"How do you know?" She smiled sweetly at him.

"I saw it," he confessed.

"You did."

Yes�It's in front of the hospital, it's their honeymoon suit," he stated. "Very weird." He shook his head at the idea of them doing it in a camper in the middle of the city.

"Not so weird, a Ferris wheel now that's weird," She mused, remembering one of her own experiences.

"Really?" He smiled in surprise, curious to hear about it.

"I was young, it was my first real boyfriend," she continued, as if it really wasn't a big deal.

"Were else?" He was having fun with her.

"Your turn," she demanded. Thinking that she would like to know just where he may have had similar encounters.

"Camping. Where else?" He asked, trying to keep the subject focused on her.

"In a tent? That's the best you can do?" She taunted. She was amused by the idea that he couldn't come up with some exotic or at least original location.

"On a train to Seattle." Quickly thinking of the last vacation he had taken. He had attended an "Emergency Room" medical conference and during his vacation be had taken a short overnight trip on a train.

"Really, with who?" She sneered jovially, curious to know if she knew the person he was with.

He had not expect her to ask him that and he couldn't very well tell her that it was Dave. Not being able to think of what to say he just quickly made something up. "I was by myself, but it was memorable." He began to laugh realizing how pathetic that must have sounded.

She began to laugh also, understanding that he was not a "kiss and tell" kind of guy. The wind suddenly picked up around them. "It's getting cold." She sipped her coffee and huddled close to him.

"Yeah, we probably should go in." He felt a sudden chill.

"Yeah." They found themselves staring into each other's eyes. He suddenly felt like he was back in med school. For a brief moment, she had made him feel like a kid again as he playfully leaned over and stole a kiss.

"Carter�."

"You don't have any allergies I should know about do you?" He teased her as he nervously rubbed at the back of his neck. Before he realized it she kissed him. He clumsily spilt his coffee, as he became aware of the fact that he should not be doing this.

~~~~~~~~

Later that evening just before time to leave for home. John had talked to Susan. He had apologized for kissing her and explained that he hoped that she hadn't gotten the wrong idea.

"I'm really not sure why I did it. I know that sounds really lame, but I really shouldn't have." John explained not wanting to go into any further details.

Susan had been a bit surprised by the kiss but was even more bewildered by his apology for it. When she had returned to Chicago, she really had not planned on getting involved in a relationship, but then again she had not planned on running into John Carter.

He had been a surgical intern when she had left and she figured he would have moved on to some private hospital, making the big bucks by now.

But there was something about him that she found intriguing. He still possessed that boyish charm and his gorgeous good looks but there was something mystical about him that she just could not quite put her finger on it. The more she thought about it the more she wanted to get to know him.