- Text Size +
4-Never Say Never


Dave had gotten a job at Northwestern; he still had a year left to finish his residency. John had applied and had been offered an Attending position at Northwestern, also. He only had a few more days to tell them that he would take the job and he still didn't know what he was waiting for. Of course he wanted the job, but now that Dave was working there he didn't know if he should accept the position. He would be an Attending and Dave was still a Resident. Having authority over Dave at work might not be good for their relationship. Besides he really loved County and was still hoping he would get an Attending position there.

~~~~~~~~

John came home from work, a bit excited but a little uneasy. Still thinking about his day, he could not wait for Dave to get home.

Weaver had called him into the lounge to tell him that he had the Chief Resident position. There it was 'ripe for the taking, served on a silver platter'. But it also meant that Deb had quit. He had missed her when she left County the first time and since she had been back they had gotten even closer.

To top it off, Susan Lewis had returned. So many mixed emotions, he knew that he should be happy. At least now he knew that he still had a job, for another year any way, or until Weaver went on the warpath again. Then there had been the phone call from Dave's mother.

~~~~~~~~

John was hanging his suit jacket in the closet when a very tired Dave stepped into the room and collapsed on the bed. John sat down beside him and absentmindedly ran a hand along Dave's thigh.

"Should I even ask how your day went?" He teased. Leaning closer to Dave, he breathed into his ear.

"I am so tired I don't think that even you and that fabulous mouth of yours could get me hard right now." Dave chuckled as he rolled onto his stomach to move away from John.

"You want to make a wager on that one?" John continued to tease, as he rolled over to reach under Dave and stroked at his cock.

Dave wiggled away from John. "Come on man, I need some sleep." Dave yawned deeply.

"Fine, I just wanted to tell you that your mother called. She got the tickets. She wants you to call her to let her know when to come." John sighed. "Also, Deb quit today and Kerry gave me her job."

"Chen quit? Why?" Dave turned around in shock.

"Kerry wouldn't say, it had something to do with your patient." He tried to be casual about the whole thing.

"Oh man, I knew that Weaver was only using the sex thing as an excuse." Dave spat angrily.

"Hey don't worry about Weaver. Here call your mom." Trying to change the subject, John tossed the phone onto the bed and headed for the shower.

Dave picked up the cordless phone and dialed the number for his mom. After a brief conversation, his mom had agreed to bring Maura and stay for a couple of weeks.

Dave stepped into the shower behind John and wrapped his muscular arms around his narrow waist before trailing his hands firmly down his belly. "So I suppose you had something in mind to celebrate your new Chief Resident 'position.' Dave exclaimed as he tenderly bit along John's shoulder blade. "Maybe you had this in mind?" Dave teased as he began kissing up John's neck until he reached an earlobe. Taking it into his mouth he sucked and nipped at it, sending tingling shivers down John's spine, arousing all his senses.

"I thought you were too tired for this." John stated sarcastically as he leaned back against Dave, enjoying the sensations he was creating.

"Well I started dreaming about this tall, dark, handsome man in my shower and I had to see for myself if dreams really do come true." His hands continued to trail down John's front. Dave took hold of him, bringing him to full attention, stroking rhythmically. John turned around to face Dave, leaning down to kiss him.

"Well, Dave, if you keep doing that this dream will most surely 'cum' true."

~~~~~~~~

It had only been a couple of days after John's promotion that he happened to have a day off on the same day as Dave. Since he had started back to full time shifts, Weaver had not changed his days off.

Dave awakened early and felt the weight of John's arm across his stomach; his body spooned close against his. John had been holding on to him even as they slept. Dave rolled over and nestled his face into John's chest to breathe in his musky scent. God, he loved the way John smelled. He felt so warm and he was so comfortable he didn't want to move. He could feel John's breath on him as he watched him sleep. He looked so peaceful just lying there. Snuggling close to him, Dave heard John's stomach rumble. Also, feeling a bit hungry, he thought it would be nice to have breakfast in bed.

Dave gently lifted John's arm and slipped out from under it. Grabbing a pair of sweats and a T-shirt he headed downstairs and into the kitchen. After a quick survey of the refrigerator and pantry he began to make breakfast.

Corrine had come in and offered to help, but Dave told her that he had everything under control. It was not unusual to find either one of the boys in her kitchen. They both loved to cook and were pretty good at it. John had lived with Kerry Weaver for almost a year and she had taught him a lot about cooking and Dave grew up learning from his mom. Most importantly, they were usually pretty good at cleaning up their own messes.

~~~~~~~~

John woke and stretched lazily, reaching out mindlessly to cuddle up to Dave. He immediately noticed his absence. Yawning as he glanced at the clock, he rubbed at his eyes as he sleepily tried to focus. It was already 9am and he wondered how he had managed to sleep so long. John stumbled out of bed and across the room to the bathroom.

He had just stepped out of the shower when he thought he smelled the aroma of coffee, eggs and bacon. He came out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel to find Dave placing breakfast on a TV tray that he had brought in from the living room.

"Good morning, sleepy head. I thought you were going to sleep all day." Dave smiled.

John slipped on a pair of sweat pants and a baseball shirt. After using it to dry his hair he quickly returned the towel to the bathroom, stopping to run a comb through his hair.

Returning to the bedroom he picked up a cup of coffee, taking a gulp before setting it on his nightstand and making himself comfortable on the bed. Dave settled down next to him, handing John a cloth napkin and a fork.

"I just wanted to spend a little quiet time with the love of my life." Dave smiled towards John.

"This is really nice Dave, thanks." He leaned over and kissed him. "I love you, too."

On the tray was also a bowl of fruit topped with whipped cream. Dave reached for a strawberry, swiping it generously through the whipped cream and held it between his teeth, bringing his mouth towards John's. He bit the other half and slowly they chewed the pieces without leaving each other's mouth. They both began to lick the whipped cream that had inadvertently smeared onto their lips. Together they giggled playfully as they continued to enjoy their breakfast.

Dave handed John a plate of eggs, bacon and toast, as he placed his own plate on his lap.

"Do you remember the first time we ever shared a meal together?" John seemed to be in a reminiscent mood.

"Sure, it was Thanksgiving 1999. How could I forget that? I diagnosed your patient with Jamaican Vomiting Sickness." Dave smirked. "I remember you thought I was crazy." He added as he speared a couple of grapes and fed them to John.

"Yeah, that's true." John paused to finish chewing. "But I still think you're crazy, Dave." He laughed as he continued eating his eggs. "Oh yeah, and that's when I found out that you went to med school in Grenada."

"Grenada was great. I actually learned a lot there." They both ate silently for a moment.

"This is really good Dave, I didn't realize how hungry I was." John stated as he started on his toast.

"I remember that I was getting ready to go home and I found you in the lounge. You had finished your shift and you were waiting around to hear news of Carol's babies." Dave recalled.

"Well, the second one. When I heard that there was a complication with Kate, I wanted to stick around and hear how things went." John had finished his eggs and handed the empty plate to Dave to place on the tray. "I can't believe it's been almost two years." He picked up his coffee.

"We spent most of the rest of the afternoon and the entire evening over at Doc Magoo's. I remember thinking later, that if we had never spent that time together, I wonder if we would have ever become friends?" Dave smiled sheepishly at John.

"I don't know, but we did become friends pretty fast after that. Spending Christmas and New Year's together." John reiterated.

"I remember you dressing up as Santa and collecting all those guns. You were pretty angry when it didn't turn out the way you thought it should have." Dave placed his empty plate with John's. "Want any more of this fruit?" He handed the bowl to John.

"Yeah." Taking the bowl from Dave, he began picking out pieces of banana and eating them, licking his fingers in the process. "We went to your place, made pizza and watched that Chevy Chase movie 'Christmas Vacation.'

"You passed out on my couch." Dave reminded him as he finished the last of the grapes.

"Actually, I just fell asleep. Now, New Year's Eve, I passed out." John corrected him, handing him the empty bowl.

"Too much champagne, I think we both passed out that night." Dave laughed. "We pretty much started going out just about every chance we got after that until�." Dave stopped suddenly.

"Until Valentines Day?" John finished. "That is what you were going to say, right?"

"Yeah, well that was pretty traumatic for all of us, I just can't really imagine how if must have been for you." Dave said sympathetically as he leaned against John and took his hand in his and kissed it.

"You know, Dave, it's okay to talk about it. I mean, we don't have to avoid the subject. It's not like we can just forget that it ever happened." John reassured him as he got up off the bed. He began to exchange his sweat pants for a pair of jeans.

Turning back towards Dave, he said, "I remember last New Year's Eve." He waited for Dave's reaction.

"John, I don't think I'll ever forget that. We crashed that party at the Hilton and at midnight you kissed me in front of God and everybody." Dave blushed, "but I'm glad you did, otherwise I may have never found out what a great kisser you are."

"I don't know which one of us was more shocked. You, for that fact that I kissed you in the first place or me, because you liked it and kissed me back."

"Actually, I think all those people at that party were more shocked than we were, they were all staring at us like they had never seen two men kiss before." Dave laughed as he got up and began to search his drawers for some clothes.

Suddenly, John found himself staring affectionately at Dave. It had only been very recently since Dave had started calling him John. It occurred to him that he rather liked it. No one, besides his family, ever called him by his given name except Deb, Abby, and occasionally Kerry.

"Hey, lets go see a movie or something." John suggested.

"I still need to shower." Dave was heading for the bathroom.

"I'll clean up this mess and meet you downstairs." John offered as he gathered up all the breakfast dishes.