- Text Size +
3-Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic


Dinner had been quite enjoyable. Gamma had seemed genuinely happy that John and Dave would be coming to live with her. John was pleased that his grandmother had actually accepted his relationship with Dave.

John was also very grateful to her for allowing him a little free reign in accommodating him and his need for privacy by letting him remodel the rooms next to his. They had met with the contractor and a couple of the crew that would be doing the actual work. The workmen had started on the new living room immediately, taking measurements and making material lists.

~~~~~~~~

For the next few days Dave was working 7am -7pm with John working noon-7pm; half shifts on account of his recent back injury. At Dave's insistence, Weaver had agreed that with John needed to take it easy and not overdo it, and risk further injury.

The next few days passed fairly un-eventfully. Their private living room was finished and furnished with two brand new, full-length couches, along with a couple of end tables, and a very expensive entertainment center with a large screen TV. A set of recliners faced a fireplace in the far corner of the room. Dave's grandfather's trunk sat next to the fireplace with a hand crocheted afghan draped over it. Other items from Dave's apartment included a large rocking chair, a long coffee table, a bookcase and a desk, all of solid oak.

Black and white photographs in large ornate frames with the signature 'Chase Carter' hung gracefully on the walls. It was the perfect reflection of both John and Dave, containing various personal belongings of both.

~~~~~~~~

John had tried to talk Dave into getting himself a vehicle. "It's a bit far to ride your bike and I'm not always going to be able to give you a ride. Algier will always be at your disposal but you need your own transportation." He had argued.

"Fine. It's just that it has been awhile since I've driven." Dave breathed in a deep breath, exhaling slowly as John noticed his nervousness. "Not since the accident."

"Accident?" John questioned.

"Yeah, a few years ago. Just before I came to Chicago. My wife was killed and my daughter was in the hospital for almost a month. I had to get away, just too many memories. I was just starting my second year of residency and she was so little I just didn't know what to do with her. I couldn't raise a two-year old child by myself but I couldn't stay there either. I tried for Maura. I tried but I just couldn't."

"So you have a daughter?" John looked at Dave in shock. "Where is she now?"

"I didn't abandon my kid, Carter." Dave answered abruptly. "She lives with my mom in New York. I send money and stuff for her all the time and I try to go see her as often as possible. That's where I take off to every once in a while, for a couple of days at a time. That's why I'm always broke, Carter." Dave was beginning to get agitated and defensive.

"Why didn't you ever tell me about her before?" John asked, surprised that Dave had never mentioned anything about this before.

"I don't know. It was my fault. I was driving and I couldn't get to her in time to stop the bleeding." Dave tried to explain, his voice clearly expressing his self-guilt. "I don't want to talk about this all right." He looked at John, sadly, desperately fighting back the tears that threatened to fall.

John suddenly remembered a time when they had been out driving around, just having some fun and messing around. John had reached down, and undid his fly releasing a raging hard on and had asked Dave for a blowjob. Dave had gotten all crazy and had started screaming at him.

"No way, Carter, you're driving. Just pay attention to the road and wait until we get home and I'll suck you all night if you want, but not here, not ever, and don't ask me to ever do that again." Then he was quiet for the rest of the trip home.

"Fine. We'll worry about your transportation later." John didn't want to upset Dave any further.

~~~~~~~~

The following morning, Dave suddenly woke to the sound of the clock radio. He quickly turned it off as to not wake John. He had an early shift but John didn't have to start until noon. There was no point in waking him. After a quick shower and getting dressed, he took one last glance at his sleeping lover before heading down stairs for breakfast.

~~~~~~~~

Dave sat at the table as Corrine placed a cup of coffee and a plate of pancakes in front of him.

"Good morning Dave." Millicent addressed him. "Where's John?"

"Morning Ma'am." Dave swallowed a mouthful and sipped his coffee. "Still asleep, he's not on 'til noon."

"It's Gamma, Dave. I need to ask you, is John having trouble with his back again?"

"Uhm. Well he fell at work the other night. Bruised it pretty bad but he's okay, really," Dave tried his best to reassure her.

"All right, if you say so. It's just that it hasn't gone un-noticed by me that he has been working less hours lately."

"Seriously, he's fine," Dave assured her, quickly finishing his breakfast. "Just a little sore, that's all." Dave looked at his watch and gulped down the last of his coffee. "I've got to run." Don't worry about John, Gamma, he'll be fine." He grabbed his napkin and wiped his mouth before leaning down to kiss her on the cheek. Grabbing his sports bag he quickly got up and left the house.

~~~~~~~~

John had been sitting out by the pool just kicking back and listening to some music. This was not the sort of music that he would normally enjoy, but it was Dave's, and he thought that it wouldn't hurt to acquire a taste for it.

Gamma interrupted his solitude by offering him aspirin for his back. She poured him a glass of water but dropped it, breaking the glass on the patio stones. He proceeded to clean up the glass, even after Gamma warned of his being barefoot. Sure enough he had gotten a piece of glass in his foot. He tried to remove the glass splinter while he was dressing for work but was unable to find it. Time was running out and he needed to leave. He put on a pair of slip-on tennis shoes and was on his way.

John had a few moments to spare, so he found an empty exam room. Using a mag-light, he once again tried to find the piece of glass. In his opinion, Abby had been acting unusually suspicious all morning, and as she snuck into the room where he was, he practically scared her out of her skin when he asked what she was doing. She talked to him about her break up with Luka, and offered to help him remove the piece of glass. Before she could do anything he was called away to help out with an abandoned baby that had been brought in.

~~~~~~~~

Dave found himself flirting with a new EMT. He had never seen her before and suddenly he found himself following her around. She invited him to join her inside the ambulance.

He had seen John hanging out with Abby all morning and knew that it was just a matter of time before he found out that Luka had broken up with her. Knowing John, he figured it wouldn't be long before he was in her bed. He had seen the way John looked at her from a far. He also knew that John had had the 'hots' for her for a really long time. He just assumed that given the chance John probably wouldn't refuse her.

Without another thought about it, Dave allowed himself to be led into the ambulance. They began to kiss, and the next thing he knew Weaver had caught them in a most compromising position.

"Fired? Oh God, did she say fired?" Dave knew that there was no way that he was going to be able to hide this from John. He didn't know why he suddenly felt so guilty for what he had done.

~~~~~~~~

Abby had successfully removed the glass and had talked John into helping her to replace a broken fish tank in Luka's apartment. After taking Abby home, John drove back to the hospital to pick up Dave. John sighed at the thought of the fun he had had with Abby after work. It seemed so unfair that now that she was free for the taking he was now with Dave.

But he loved Dave, or at least he was beginning too. He had been with Dave since about four months after his return from Atlanta. Well, they had sort of been together. Neither one of them seemed to take things seriously until just a few months ago. Actually right after he had gone to Oklahoma with Abby. It had made Dave so jealous that it drove him crazy and he had insisted on wanting John to move in with him. Although they have both still insisted on keeping their relationship a secret. Dave never seemed to mind when he was with Rena, or anyone else for that matter, but Abby that was a different story.

As John approached the hospital, he saw Dave walking up the street about a block away. Pulling up to the curb he honked his horn to get his attention.

"Oh shit," Dave thought to himself. "Time to face the music." He opened the door and got in, slamming the door behind him. He looked out the window as he tried to think of how he was going to explain to John what he had done.

John immediately picked up on Dave's anger but was not sure if he should ask. It was obvious that he was still fuming over whatever had happened and he knew that Dave would tell him when he was ready.

"Can we stop somewhere? I need a drink." Dave leaned his head back against the seat.

"Dave, I'm really tired, there's alcohol at the house. Why don't we just go home and relax a bit and you can tell me all about it." John protested as he reached over to rest his hand on Dave's thigh.

Dave flinched slightly as tears began to flow; he could not bear to hurt John. For the first time since they had been together, Dave felt that what he was about to confess was really going to tear them apart. "John, what I have to say I don't think you're going to want any of the house staff or Gamma to over hear."

"It can't be that bad." He smirked slightly, then suddenly realized that he had just heard Dave call him John. For the first time ever he had called him John. This can't be good he thought as he furrowed his brow.

"I don't even know where to start," Dave muttered.

"How about the beginning?" John offered.

"This is not going to be easy. But I realized today that I love you more than I ever thought I could." Dave let out a deep breath and tried to begin. "I did something really stupid today and Weaver fired me." Dave continued on, telling John everything that had happened.

"You did what? Why? Dave, I mean come on, in an ambulance, at work?" John could not believe what he was hearing.

"I don't know. You were off with Abby all day and I just got crazy." Dave stammered, knowing that was a lame excuse. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah! I was with Abby, but I didn't fuck her, Dave." John yelled in anger. "And from the sound of it this all happened while I was still there? Still right there at the hospital? God I don't believe this."

"I won't blame you if you want to dump me, John, because I know that I really screwed up this time, and not only did I lose my job, but I suppose I have lost you, too. And for that I am really sorry." Dave began to sob.

John pulled the Jeep up the long driveway and steered into the garage. He turned off the key and turned towards Dave, handing him a small travel pack of tissues.

"I think we had just better think about this. You can sleep in the guestroom. We'll talk about this later." John got out of the Jeep and headed towards the kitchen entrance and up the stairs.

" John, I'm really sorry," Dave called out as he followed him upstairs. slammed the door to their bedroom, leaving Dave standing out in the hall.

"A little trouble in paradise?" Corrine asked as she noticed Dave standing there. She had heard a few words fly as she saw the boys coming up the stairs. Then the door had slammed and there was Dave standing alone in the hall.

"Yeah, something like that." Dave walked back toward the door that led to their living room.

"Don't worry Dr. Dave, John's tantrums don't usually last long." Corrine smiled at Dave as he sat on the couch and mindlessly reached for the remote.

"Just give him some time to cool off. He'll come around." She continued to reassure him, hoping that he would tell her what had happened. Corrine was not the nosy type, but she was an excellent listener.

Dave sat silent. This was definitely not something that he wanted to discuss right now and certainly not with Corrine.

"Dinner will be ready in about half an hour," Corrine informed him before she turned to leave. She could see that Dave was not going to discuss what ever had happened and he seemed a bit uncomfortable with her probing.

~~~~~~~~

John stood in the shower, allowing the hot water to run down his aching back as he tried to relieve the tension of the day's turn of events. The vision of Abby using him as a stepladder played in his brain. That had been really stupid and now he was paying dearly for that mistake.

His thoughts drifted back to Dave. Maybe it was because he had turned Abby down. She had invited him in for coffee and he had known that coffee was not all she wanted. He had wanted Abby for like, forever, and when he finally had his chance he had turned her down, only to find out that Dave was off screwing someone he had just met.

During their time together both him and Dave had been with women, but for some reason this felt different. He could not figure out why it bothered him so much. Stranger yet was Dave's reaction. He had never seen Dave cry or worry about them being apart. For some reason it felt like something in their relationship had changed. Drastically changed.

Stepping out of the shower, he reached for a towel to dry off. After slipping into a pair of sweats and a sleeveless T-shirt John spread out on the bed. It felt strange to think that Dave would not be in that bed with him tonight.

Something else about tonight struck John as odd. For the first time Dave had called him John and he had said those three words that John had wanted to hear for so long. Dave had said. "I love you." Suddenly there was a knock at the door from the living area and Dave opened it quietly.

"John, can I come in? I just need to use the bathroom." Dave knew that it was a lame excuse. There was a bathroom in about every other room in the house, including the guestroom across the hall where he was supposed to be, according to John.

He did have to go and this way he would be able to see if John was still upset with him. Not getting an answer, he decided to play it safe and went straight into the bathroom. Once in there, he took care of the necessary business then decided that this would be as good a time as any to go ahead and take his shower. John certainly wouldn't object to that.

Dave could not figure out what was happening. Since when did he care if John knew he was with a woman and since when did John care that he was?

Dave stepped out of the shower and dried off. He looked around, only to realize that he had left his robe on the chair by the dresser that morning and had nothing to put on. He wrapped the towel around his waist and went to the dresser in search of some clothes.

"I'll be out of your hair in a minute, John," Dave promised as he slipped on a pair of sweat shorts and a white T-shirt. Grabbing his robe and gathering up the towel, he headed back into the bathroom to hang it up. On his way out he stopped to inform John that dinner would be ready soon. Dave left the room and headed downstairs.

Millicent had long ago agreed with her grandson that dressing for dinner on a daily basis, when there was only the three of them did seem a little ridiculous. On this particular evening they had arrived home a bit later than expected and would have had barely enough time to shower, before dinner was served. She had gotten quite used to them appearing in sweats and T-shirts or a bathrobe as the case was with Dave on this evening.

"Is John coming down for dinner?" Gamma asked as she noticed Dave standing in front of the window, staring out into nothing.

"Yes Gamma, I'm right here." John gave his Gamma a little hug from behind and as Dave turned around his eyes met John's. Both boys stood quiet for a moment. The silence was broken by Gamma's invitation. "Come on now, sit down."

She ushered both of them to the dinning room. Gamma sat at the head of the table with Dave and John on each side of her. Across the table from each other both men sat in total silence.

Corrine had served a small bowl of soup and they both quietly, but slowly, began to eat, stirring the soup around the bowl between each small bite. By the time the plates were served neither one had eaten more than about half of the soup. John picked up his fork and began picking around at the food on his plate. Dave had his elbow resting on the table with his head leaning against his closed fist. He had just about mashed every pea on his plate. Only taking an occasional bite of the beef tips and gravy, he left the baked potato completely untouched.

Gamma tried her best to generate some small talk all through the entree, but received only short answers from both men. Finally, she had had enough of the tension; she stood up and addressed them both. "It seems to me that the two of you need a little time alone to work out whatever this is." She turned her attention to Corinne; "I'll finish my dinner in the kitchen. Come along."

"No Gamma," John suddenly stood, gesturing for her to sit back down. "I'm sorry. I don't want to spoil your dinner. I'm really just not that hungry and I'm going to go back upstairs. I'll come check in on you later." He promised before turning to leave.

Dave tossed his napkin on the table and excused himself also. "Sorry ma'am." He apologized before turning to leave. Dave gave John plenty of space to walk ahead as he slowing followed him up the stairs.

"Dave, you didn't have to leave, go finish your dinner." John stopped and turned towards Dave.

"No. I can't eat anything right now anyway." Dave replied, trying to keep his voice soft and low.

John reached down, tenderly extending his hand towards Dave. Dave took a couple of quick steps forward and took hold of John's offered hand.

Millicent and Corrine curiously peeked around the corner to see the two of them walking arm in arm up the stairs. "At least they're talking to each other," Corrine mused.

Once in their room, both men sat silently together on the bed. Neither one seemed to know what to say. Dave finally broke the silence between them.

"If it makes you feel any better, Weaver sort of saved me from humiliating myself," Dave chuckled nervously. "I mean, while I was with Dana, all I could think about was you, John. I realized that I didn't want to do that and that you were enough for me. When Weaver opened that door, I had already completely lost it, my erection that is," Dave blushed. "Dana hadn't noticed and I used Weaver as a means of escape. I really didn't think that Weaver was serious about firing me, but at the time all I really cared about was you and that what I was doing was going to hurt you. I've known for some time now that you wanted more from this relationship, and I have, too. It's just that I've been scared to take it any farther." Dave paused momentarily to collect his thoughts. "Then there is Maura. How am I ever going to explain to my daughter that her daddy is gay?" Dave leaned close to John, resting against his shoulder.

John took hold of Dave's hand and played with the ring that he still wore. "What was her name?" John sat quiet for a minute as Dave's mind absorbed the question.

"Diane," Dave answered softly, as if the memories were still too hard to bare.

"You really loved her didn't you?" John 's deep dark eyes showed such concern, yet such a need to know.

"Yeah, I did." Dave sighed heavily as he fought back the tears. "I really thought that we would be together forever."

"Why did you name her Maura?" John just couldn't seem to help himself from asking. He realized that for as long as he had been with Dave they really did not know much about each others personal lives, and he suddenly wanted to know everything there was to know about Dave.

"My mom's name is Marie and her mom's name is Laura," Dave explained. "We just liked the way it sounded."

"Dave, I want to meet her." John looked serious as he stared into Dave's dark brown eyes.

"Okay," Dave said without even thinking about it.

"If I send her tickets, will your mother bring her here?" John asked.

"Uhhmm. I don't see why she wouldn't," Dave stuttered. "John, I'm not so sure that my mother is going to be as accepting of us as Gamma is." Dave paused. "I've always wanted to have Maura come live with me. I'm just not sure if my mother is going to put up a fight or not."

"Hey, let's just take this one step at a time, Dave." John leaned over and began to plant small wet kisses along Dave's neck.

Dave giggled and flinched. "Oh God, John you know that drives me crazy."

"Crazy with desire?" He whispered into Dave's ear, taking a lobe between his teeth and nibbling gently while his hands began roaming Dave's chest. He made quick work of getting Dave's shirt off as he removed his own. Sliding out of his sweat pants he tugged on Dave's shorts to remove them also. Kneeling between Dave's legs, he made a nose-dive straight for his groin.

"Oh God, John come here." Dave begged.

John looked up at Dave. "Come or Cum?" John laughed.

"Turn around," Dave wiggled up farther onto the bed, making room for John to straddle his mouth. Dave could feel John kiss his belly, then he moved slowly down, spreading Dave's legs apart. Dave slid his tongue around the inside of John's thigh, then took him into his mouth, sucking slowly. He could feel John's breath between his legs, and then the warmth of his mouth, and the rapid flicking of his tongue as it ran up and down his hard member. Their hands roamed up and down along each other's thighs, fondling each other's balls while they feverishly sucked each other off.

Carter felt the growing heat building in his groin as he felt Dave's balls recede up inside his body and the burst of Dave's orgasm as he cried out his own. Not able to cry out and swallow at the same time both men found themselves in the same predicament as they each rolled onto their backs with cum all over there faces. They both sat up and laughed as they licked their own juices off their lovers' face.