- Text Size +
15-It's All In Your Head


John and Dave both shed their clothes and crawled under the covers for the night. Dave raised himself up taking hold of his pillow to fluff it up a bit.

"Do you have my pillow?" Dave complained, believing that their pillows had been switched. He began pulling at John's to make him trade.

"Take it," John groaned wearily. He just wanted to go to sleep and could care less which pillow he had. John allowed Dave to take the pillow and grabbed for the one Dave still held in his hand.

"Oh, did you want this?" He smirked playfully as he noticed the twinkle in John's eyes. Dave held the pillow out of his reach gazing back towards John. He took a deep breath and decided that if John wanted the pillow he would have to come and get it.

"I'm not going to fight you for it." John sleepily replied, rolling over and lying face down against the sheet. He didn't need a pillow and just didn't have the energy for Dave's antics. He stretched out and closed his eyes ready to drift away.

"Man, you're no fun." Dave leaned over and nuzzled John's neck, still holding the extra pillow against him.

John rolled back towards Dave and yawned. "I'm just really tired, Dave," he said, before feeling Dave's lips press against his. John also felt something else press against him and realized that he wasn't going to get any sleep as long as Dave needed a little release.

"But I suppose with a little encouragement you could manage to arouse me." John teased as he reached out and pulled Dave towards him closing the gap between them and kissed Dave. He felt his own body responding to Dave's kisses.

Dave smiled and opened his mouth giving him full access. He reciprocated by pulling at John's tongue and sucking it into his mouth.

"Mmmmm." John gasped for air and pulled back. "Now, may I have the pillow Dave?" He curiously asked.

Dave grinned and kissed him again, moving closer, he took his time to explore John's yielding mouth. John leaned into him greedily tasting him as he gave into the sensations.

John hesitated for just a second, as he made a grab for the pillow. Dave held tight as the fabric gave away. Both men laughed out loud at the sight of soft white feathers floating all around them.

Dave's hand snaked around to cradle the back of John's head. The kiss was slow and wet and left them breathless, sweating slightly as they lay covered in the feathers.

John pounced on Dave, who found himself flat out on the middle of the bed with John draped over him, nuzzling his neck as his hands stroked his torso. Dave rolled his head to the side while John continued to suck on his neck until he had marked him.

Dave suddenly rolled them over and returned the attentions. Blowing away the loose feathers, he used his tongue to tease and pleasure John. Giving special attention to John's nipples, stopping momentarily to wipe feathers from his mouth. Dave alternated from side to side as he licked and kissed his way down to John's belly and traced around the thin patch of dark hair that encircled his navel. Working his way down to his cock before detouring him completely.

John groaned as he claimed each new area of skin with his tongue, totally giving in to the pleasure that Dave was bestowing upon him. Dave pulled himself back up toward John's face pressing himself firmly against him. Mouth to mouth, cock against cock. They were both so hard, the pre-cum glistening as they rubbed against each other gasping at the sheer pleasure.

Dave reached between them and gathered them both into his hand, using their own sweat and pre-cum to ease the friction. John's body arched and his head fell back as his minded drifted away to paradise, giving over total control to the pleasure that Dave was creating.

Their steady rocking motion on the bed caused the clouds of downy feathers to billow softly around them, but they couldn't care less. It wasn't long before they both came in unison, shooting sticky cum onto each other's bellies.

"That was totally incredible," Dave announced as he lay alongside of John, snuggled against him. Dave nestling his head in the crook of his arm, blowing feathers away from his face.

"I guess we had better clean up this mess." John laughed lightly as he got up and offered Dave his hand.

"I think we need a shower before these feathers stick to us permanently." Dave tried unsuccessfully to brush away the annoying little plumes that were clinging to the stickiness on him.

"Good idea, shower first," John grinned amusingly at him.

Dave closed his eyes and drew in a deep breath as John's arms came around him in a fierce embrace. His hands slid down his back before sneaking back around him to reach the sponge and bathwash. They took turns bathing each other.

John sighed as he stepped under the stream of water, feeling Dave caress him. It felt really good, as John took the sponge from Dave and began massaging him, passing over his chest, slightly stimulating his nipples, sending a tiny pulse to his groin.

"Oh," Dave moaned as he kissed John passionately. Neither one of them could ever remember anyone eliciting such a level of sexual attraction and pure unadulterated passion in them. They had both had many encounters with women and Dave had even been married but this feeling that they shared for one another was so different from anything that they had ever experienced. They had no doubt whatsoever that they were truly in *love*.

~~~~~~~~

John slipped on a pair of sweatpants as he went to fetch the vacuum cleaner while Dave stripped the bed and started to replace the sheets. John had also brought back with him a plastic garbage bag, which he stuffed the torn pillow into. Gathering up as many of the loose feathers that they could by hand, they filled the bag and tightly closed it. Their laughter and bantering was rather boisterous as they continued to clean up the room.

They had only been running the vacuum for a few seconds when they heard a rather loud knocking on their door. Dave grabbed his robe and went to see whom it was.

Kathryn stood in the hallway with her hands on her hips. "Excuse me but do you guys realize what time it is, you're going wake Maura." She scolded and then quickly turned away from him embarrassed, when she noticed his gapping robe.

Pulling the robe closed and tying the belt, Dave whispered, "I'm sorry, we had a little accident with a torn pillow and we seem to be buried in feathers." Dave couldn't hold back his laughter as he held the door open, allowing her to come in so he could prove to her that he was telling her the truth.

"Well, let me give you a hand so we can all get some sleep." She offered to help them clean up as she took the blanket and comforter and shook them out over the balcony. John continued to vacuum while Dave gathered up the sheets for the laundry and took the garbage bag out to the trash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kerry approached John, in the lounge. He was just finishing up the last of his chart reviews and was getting ready to hand off his last few patients to Deb.

"Carter, I could really use you to stay a few more hours if you would," Kerry asked. "Susan has already worked a double and is now crashed out down the hall. I just can't juggle this schedule around any different and we're still short handed," she exclaimed, completely frustrated with the fact that Mark had suddenly taken some time off and left them short-handed.

"Kerry, I'm really sorry, I've already worked my share of over time. I just can't," John covered his mouth to stifle a yawn. "I have this terrible throbbing, headache and I finally had to take some Tylenol but it's not going away. I need to just go home and sleep it off," he refused.

"I don't have anyone else to cover, you can go take a nap if you need to, but I need for you to be here just in case." Kerry protested, as she tried to keep him from leaving the lounge area.

"Call in a temp, besides I'm on again in eight hours for another double and I need some sleep," John insisted. He turned and went out the other door, refusing to allow her to talk him into staying.

He often thought that if he could just bring himself to tell Kerry that he actually did have someone besides his grandmother to go home to things might be easier.

Catching up to Deb in the hall, he approached her and immediately began to fill her in on the patient as they headed for the admit desk.

"Iverson in four needs another hour of monitoring. Don also in four probably needs a walking cast. The foot x-rays are pending." He handed her some charts and went to the board. "Dr. Lewis is crashed out in 3," he said as he erased his name from the board.

"Susan?" Deb asked, noticing that John hadn't even looked at her. She wondered how long this was going to go on that he wouldn't talk to her.

"Yeah, she worked a double so don't wake her up. Last but not least we have got the lovely but kind of spooky, Mrs. Armstrong in two who's waiting for a psych consult before the sewer people come and get her.

"What sewer people?" Deb asked watching him intently.

"She's crazy, Deb, hence the psych consult and there's a bad burn trauma coming in so have fun." John added wearily and headed back to the lounge.

John hadn't talked much to Deb for a few weeks now and wasn't sure why he was still harboring ill feelings towards her. But at this moment he didn't really care, he just wanted to go home and crawl into bed and hopefully sleep for the rest of the day or at least until Dave got home around noon.

As John turned to leave, Deb noticed that he was still acting rather cool towards her. He was always very good at being completely professional but something in his voice and actions told her that he was still bothered by their last 'friendly' conversation. Her mind was on John and the fact that she really wanted to speak to him before he left but Jerry blocked her way as he handed her a message.

"He called again," Jerry announced with a wide grin.

"Ah, Randal." Deb sighed. Some guy she went out with seemed to think that the night meant more than it had.

"Five calls in 18 hours," Jerry informed her, with a sly smile.

"Sounds like a stalker, want me to talk to him." Frank nosed in.

"No!" She answered Frank and turned to Jerry, "Thanks." She had wanted to catch John before he left, but her plan was foiled by an incoming trauma.

John decided that he was tired of the tension between Deb and himself so as much as he wanted to just get the hell out here, he also needed to talk with her.

Walking into the trauma room he joined in at helping to transfer the patient from the gurney to the exam table.

"Need a hand?" He asked looking from Deb to the patient as she started her examination.

Deb concentrated on her work, calling out orders for tests and medication. After seeing that the woman was in no immediate danger she turned her attentions to John.

"I thought that you were leaving? Weaver manage to rope ya into staying?" She asked as she pulled off her trauma gown and gloves, tossing then in a nearby bin.

"No, well she tried but I refused. Actually I just needed to talk to you for a minute about the other day," he answered hoping that she understood what he meant.

"Good for you, John, it's about time you stand up to her." Deb grinned.

"But you see, Deb, I've never really had a problem with Kerry," he added.

"Okay, John, whatever you say," Deb smiled his way, not wanting to start anything with him again.

"Deb, I just wanted to apologized for how I've been acting toward you lately," he turned to face her.

"John, forget it, I know that you've had a lot on your mind and I'm sorry that you felt you couldn't talk to me about it," Deb replied. "Besides I'm the one that should apologized, it's just that I was a bit surprised by what you told me and I reacted badly, I'm really sorry. I never meant to make you feel uncomfortable." Deb turned and saw Haleh and Lydia whispering between them. She rolled her eyes and elbowed John to make him aware that they had an audience.

He backed up and gave a big sigh, "Thanks Deb, I just need some time to work out a few things but I didn't want this little misunderstanding to get in the way of our friendship." He grinned at her hoping that the nurses wouldn't make too big of an ordeal out of their conservation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

John wrapped his jacket tighter around himself, feeling a slight chill in the air. He was pleasantly surprised to find Abby standing outside. She had a large manila envelope in her hand and had been taking to Luka, who had just driven away in a brand new sports car. He figured that they had been discussing a patient.

"Nice car!" He smiled, trying to make small talk with her. "Did he get the leopard print interior?" John teased.

Abby didn't say anything; she just shook her head. After the incident with Brian and spending a couple of days at John's house, she was reminded that nothing was ever going to happen between them. She knew that he was head over heals in love with Dave and she didn't want to come between the two of them.

"You off?" He hoped that she was. They hadn't talked much since she had spent the nights and then had decided she needed to go back to her own place. He had offered to stay with her for a while but she had declined his offer.

"Not till ten," Abby turned away not wanting to talk about this. She really didn't want to talk at all. Now she understood how he had felt last May when she was with Luka and he wanted more than to just be friends.

"What did you do to deserve that?" He teased. Something about the way she was avoiding him lately bothered him and he really wanted to find out what was going on with her.

"I asked," she replied, noticing the questioning look he was giving her. "This way I'm never home when my neighbor is."

"He's out on bail?" John asked. Not wanting to believe that Brian could get away what he had done to Abby.

"Um.til the trial.til. I can get my life back." Abby's voice was slightly shaking which cause John to be concerned.

"How's his wife?" John asked trying to lighten the subject.

"She's good, safe," Abby added.

"How are you?" John asked, tilting his head a bit as he tried to read her expression. "How's the eye?" John reached out and tenderly stroked her cheek. He knew he was being a 'mother hen' but he couldn't help himself.

"It's good but I think my 'Good Samaritan' days are over though," Abby blushed at his touch.

"You probably saved her life," John reassured her that her efforts were worth it. "Staying till midnights, that can be tough. Getting enough sleep?" John asked her. He really hoped that she would talk to him but she just nodded. "Yeah? Eating okay? Feeling depresses or anxious?" He continued. Now he was beginning to sound like a commercial for antidepressants but he cared so much and wanted her to know that he was there for her.

"I have to get back," Abby walked away and headed back inside. She knew that deep down John still loved her, just not the same way that he was in love with Dave.

"Call if you want to talk." John really wished that she would talk to him. He knew that there was still something bothering her and he wanted to find out what it was. He also knew that it would do no good at all to push her.

"I'm good," she called back over her shoulder as she began to walk away.

"Coffee and pie on me if you change your mind," John shouted back. It had become a running joke between them. They couldn't count the many nights that they had spent together sharing coffee and pie and talking into the wee hours of the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~

When John arrived home, Maura immediately met him at the front door.

"Daddy John, Daddy John, you're home!" Maura screeched excitedly as she ran to him with her arms opened.

"Hey, Sweetie, how's my little princess?" John picked her up and kissed her on the nose as she wrapped her tiny arms around his neck.

"Fine." She answered as she began to play with his necktie. "Can we go to the park and get pizza?"

"Oh, Sweetie, I'm too tired." John laughed at the idea of her wanting pizza for breakfast. Besides it smells like Corrine has something mighty tasty cooking." John said as he carried her into the kitchen.

"Hello, Dr. John, I hope you have an appetite because I made waffles," Corrine smiled as she saw them come into the kitchen.

"But, I don't like waffoz," Maura whined, snuggling up against him.

"Yeah, well I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse." John answered as he pulled some juice from the refrigerator. "What would you like to drink, Maura?" He asked ignoring her whines.

"She's been a little cranky this morning and Kathryn isn't feeling well. I think she has the flu." Corrine spoke softly as she placed a plate down for John.

"I hope its not going around cause I've had a headache all night." John set Maura on a seat at the counter.

"I'm sure its nothing serious, you're just overworked and need to rest." Corrine felt his forehead just to be sure.

"I'll tell you what, if you eat the waffles, I'll let you come up and lie down with me until Daddy gets home and then next Saturday we both have the day off and we can go out for pizza and a movie and whatever else you want to do depending on the weather. Is that a deal or what?" John hoped his bribe would put her in a better mood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Sweetie, what are you doing in here?" Dave whispered as he picked Maura up of the bed. He gathered her up into his arms for a big hug and a smooch. He took a moment to admire John, sleeping, sprawled out over the entire bed.

"Shhh, we can't wake Daddy John," Maura whispered with her fingers on her lips. "I need my doll." She leaned back to grabbed onto her doll she had been playing with.

Corrine had offered to watch her but John insisted on letting her come play on the bed with him.

He was so exhausted that he felt as if he could sleep through just about anything. Corrine had checked in several times to make sure that Maura was letting him sleep. She was amazed at how quiet Maura was being as she contently played with her doll while John snored quietly beside her.

"Come on Maura, let's go get some lunch and I'll play a game of Candy Land with ya, but then I'm gonna need to get some sleep myself. Next Saturday John and I will be home all day and then we can do something fun together.

"Daddy John said we could go to a movie and get a pizza." Maura squished his cheek as he carried her into the kitchen.

"Have a seat you two," Corrine commanded. "I have some nice hot soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for you. She set the bowls one at a time on counter. "Do you know if John will be up for dinner?"

"No, I think he has to be back at the hospital by then," Dave yawned. "I'm about ready to hit the hay myself but I promised Maura that I would play a game with her. By the way where's Kathryn?" Dave asked just noticing that he hadn't seen her since he'd been home.

"She's sick in bed with the flu. I hope the little one doesn't catch it." Corrine replied. "I was just going to go up to see if she would like a little soup," she added.

~~~~~~~~~~

John, woke to the sound of the radio alarm, blaring out, 'You might be walking on the sun.'

"Oh, God, John groaned, lifting Dave's arm from around his waist as he rolled over to turn it off. It never ceased to amaze him what Dave could sleep through. Relaxing back again for a moment, he fell back to sleep.

"John, hey buddy, wake up." Dave shook John's sleeping body.

"What?" John groaned sleepily, burying himself under the covers.

"You're gonna be late, love, " Dave whispered trying to wake John up.

"Oh, God." John shot up out of bed and ran into the shower.

"I can go down and fix you something to eat," Dave offered as he watched John make a run for the bathroom.

"No, thanks, I won't have time. I'll stop and pick something up along the way.

"I can call the Deli and place an order for ya," Dave stood just inside watching John shower.

"Yeah, okay, a turkey wrap sounds good," John reached for the shampoo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Carter! Just the man I want to see. Oh, look I've got six patients for you." Deb teased, she was just as anxious to end her shift, as he had been earlier.

"I'm not on for 8 minutes," he tried ignoring her obvious attempt to hand off her patients to him

"But you're here," she bantered.

"And I'm eating," John leaned back eating his sandwich.

"Ah! That's too bad." She began but her attention was quickly pulled into another direction.

"Jing Mei?" Randal called as he approached the desk. He seemed excited to see her.

"Randal?" Deb answered in surprise.

"I've been calling you all day. Did you get my flowers?" He asked.

"Ah, yes, thanks," Deb answered coolly. John noticed the apprehension in her voice. He was trying not to eves drop but he couldn't help himself.

"So are you off?" Randal asked.

"Oh, I um." Deb looked at her watch trying to come up with and excuse for not going out with him.

"Aren't you supposed to be covering for Dr. Greene?" Carter quickly covered for her, thinking that she would appreciate his help.

"Yes, yes, I am." Deb looked back toward Carter and winked her thanks to him.

"What about after that?" Randal continued.

Deb paused trying to come up with a reply. She knew what she had to do but didn't want to. John placed his foot on the small of her back pushing her into the direction of where Randal stood. He knew that she needed a little push and was more than happy to give it to her.

"Look, Randal, you're a nice guy and all but I don't think this is going to work between us.

"I had fun," he replied a bit taken back by the idea that she was brushing him off.

"Sorry, I have to get back to work," Deb lied.

"Can I call you?" Randal asked her hoping that maybe this was just not a good time for her.

"No," Deb stated.

"Bye." Randal looked a bit disappointed and confused as he turned and left.

"Don't tell me that you broke up with the guy," Chuni asked as she leaned close to Deb's ear.

"It was hardly a break up we just went out once." Deb smirked.

"One date and the guy's buying you flowers?" Carter grinned as he stood to check in, still chewing his food.

"Can you believe it? You give a guy a little hand release during Harry Potter and he wants to marry you," Deb snipped.

Carter coughed as Deb came up behind him and patted him on the back.

"Are you okay," Deb laughed.

"Thank you," John was laughing as he tried to keep from choking.