- Text Size +
10-Home for the Holidays



It was only a couple of weeks before Christmas. John told Dave that he would take the El and Dave could pick him up after work.

On the El, John had met Susan. She had been telling him stories about life in Phoenix. As they walked down the platform, Susan had told John that she used to attend basketball games with her boyfriend.

"The Phoenix Suns?" He groaned in disgust.

"Is that a crime?" She asked innocently.

"You root for the Phoenix Suns?" He teased her mercilessly.

"I didn't pay much attention to basketball until I lived there." She defended herself.

"But you grew up in Chicago," he reminded her.

"I dated a guy with season tickets." Susan thought that this was probably not the best subject to talk to a guy about, since she really didn't know anything about the various teams.

"And you didn't pay attention to the Bulls?" John asked, thinking that she should have at least recognized that they were Chicago's home team.

Their friendly banter had led to John buying her breakfast. More like coffee and whatever from the roach coach. As Susan was making her selections, John's cell phone rang.

"Hello," he paused. "Hey, how was your flight?" John asked, he knew that his father was returning to his home in New York from Europe.

"Uh yeah, no, she was walking around a little yesterday. I'm meeting her for lunch. You want to hook up there? What's that?" He was having difficulty hearing over the cell phone

"Would you grab me a bagel," he asked Susan while still on the phone.

"Really �No, that's great, so I'll see you there." John spoke enthusiastically.

"They're staying for the holidays." John smiled a bit surprised as he shared the news with Susan.

"Your parents?" Susan asked. She had never heard John speak much about his family.

"First time in 9 years," he answered stunned and excited at the idea of spending a Christmas with his parents.

His father had informed him that they would be there around the 17th and would stay through New Years.

~~~~~~~~

On Dec-17 John's father was due to arrived in Chicago. John was a bit nervous because he had never told his father about Dave and now Maura. Dave had offered to take Maura and stay in a hotel while his father was in town but John wouldn't hear of it.

John was pacing in the living room when the phone rang. It was his father informing him that he had driven down early and went straight to the hotel.

"Hotel? I thought you would be staying here?" John asked.

"It's late and I didn't want to bother anyone. I'll see you in the morning, John." His father had agreed to meet him at the convalescent home to visit with Millicent. John had to work but he had made arrangements with Kerry that would allow him to stop by and check on his grandmother before having to report to work every morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A martini in first class works just as well and takes a lot less time," Millicent teased her son about why he would bother to drive all the way from New York.

"Well, like you, I enjoy the occasional drive. Gives you enough time to clear your head." Jack explained that he didn't mind the drive.

Millicent and Jack were having a conversation about his arrival when John walked in the room.

"Hey, Dad," John greeted his father enthusiastically with a handshake and a hug.

"Did you know that your father has been here since last night?" Millicent asked John as he greeted her with a kiss on the cheek.

"Yeah, late last night and went straight to the hotel."

"Oh God, am I dying?" Millicent bantered.

"Rigor mortis hasn't set in yet," Jack teased. John was mortified by his remark, as he stood with his mouth open.

"Why else would my son, dare to spend Christmas with us." Millicent continued her friendly assault.

"Mom's coming too," John's excitement quickly returned.

"Ahhh I knew there was a catch," she snarled at the mention of Eleanor.

"Eleanor will be here later this week," Jack informed his mother.

"You'll stay at the house until then," Millicent asked. As long as he was going to be home he might as well spend some time with his family.

"Sure why not," Jack reassured her that he would.

"Believe it or not, she's thrilled," John told his father as he held the door as they left.

John had to return to work, but agreed to meet his father later for lunch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John strolled into Doc Magoo's about a half an hour later than expected. His father didn't seem surprised at his tardiness. Sitting at the counter, he fidgeted with the menu. His father made small talk about the selections.

"Burgers are good." John offered, finding himself at a loss for words.

"You already know what you want? I'm still working on what to drink." Jack continued to study the menu. John knew exactly what his father had meant by that comment as Doc Magoo's did not serve alcohol.

"This is nice, it's been awhile." John tried to ease his tension.

"Since we had lunch together, or Christmas?" Jack asked feeling the lost years between them.

"Both." John stated not receiving a response. " So what kind of business keeps Mom in Costa Rica in December?" Curious to know why his mother wasn't there, also.

"How's the chopped salad?" Jack asked in an attempt to change the subject.

John was becoming annoyed at his father's avoidance. "She broke her hip, Dad. Mom can't see her in the hospital for five minutes?" Feeling a bit irritated John continued his interrogation. "She's going to avoid her the whole month?"

"Your mother's not coming, John, we're getting divorced." Jack had not planned on bringing this subject up just yet.

"What? Divorced?" John had been taken completely by surprise. Jack seemed a bit uncomfortable with talking about this in such a public place.

The waitress had come and taken their orders. Jack attempted to change the subject again.

"So I hear that you have a 'friend' living at the house with you," Jack asked.

"What?" John suddenly looked around to make sure that no one heard him. "How? I mean who told you?" John whispered.

Jack was amused by John's embarrassment.

"Relax, John, your mother and I have known about Dave for quite some time." Jack realized that this was making John even more uncomfortable. "Oh my God, you're not 'out', are you?" He whispered in surprise and silently chuckled.

"No!" John looked around again nervously. "Let's not talk about this here please." John grabbed his beeping pager thankful for a way out. "Dad I have to go." John picked up his coat and began to flip through his wallet.

"I'll get this," Jack said. "I'll see you at the house tonight?" He asked as watched his son walking towards the door.

"Yeah, sure, of course." John called back in his direction before leaving.

~~~~~~~~

Shortly after his lunch with John, Jack had arrived at the house. After he had settled into his room, he changed out of his suit into something a bit more casual. Jack was on his way back downstairs when he heard giggling coming from one of the rooms down the hall. As he turned the corner he realized that on the left was no longer two separate doors but one large double door that was wide open. Standing just inside the large room he saw a young woman sitting on the floor playing with a little girl.

"Where is it?" the young lady teased. The child was trying to grab what was in her hand, which she hid behind her back.

"That one!" Maura giggled, reaching as far as her tiny arms would let her. Kathryn ticked her with her free hand.

"You must be Kathryn." Jack said, causing Kathryn to jump.

"My, goodness, you startled me." She laughed, her smile lighting up her entire face. Maura crawled into Kathryn's lap, hiding her face.

"And this must be Maura." Jack knelt down to their level but Maura continued to bury her face against Kathryn. "Maura, I'm Jack. John's father."

"Is the child always so shy?" Jack inquired as he observed Maura peeking out at him.

"Only until she gets to know you." Kathryn smiled and brushed her hand across Maura's cheeks. "It takes her a while to warm up to people, but once she does�" She was cut off by Maura patting her cheek, trying to get her attention.

"I'm thirsty." Maura said just above a whisper.

"Now that sounds like a good idea." Jack answered. "I could use a drink myself." He escorted them downstairs and into the kitchen where Kathryn poured Maura a small glass of apple juice.

"So, I understand that you are Maura's caregiver." Jack began as he and Kathryn sat down in the living room downstairs. Maura busied herself with a coloring book and crayons.

"Yes, sir. I have a room upstairs in exchange for staying here and watching Maura." She explained. Jack seemed very interested.

"So, tell me about yourself, Dear. How did you get to be Maura's nanny?" He asked, sipping on his drink.

"Well, sir, before I got this job, I was living at home with my parents. See, after I graduated from high school, I had spent a couple years in Europe with the family of a friend I grew up with. I can't afford to go to college full time," She explained.

"What is it you want to be?" He asked, curious.

"A teacher in child psychology. I already have my AA but I'm still working on my bachelor's degree. I'm starting back part time as soon as this little one starts preschool and maybe sub at an elementary school for extra money but only when the guys have a day off. They work a lot of hours so they really need me here."

"That's some high goals for a girl so young." He smiled proudly. He was pleased with the fact that his son and his son's friend would find a nanny with a brain. Millicent probably had her hands in the selection process as well.

"I'm not that young. I'm 24." Kathryn stated. Jack laughed.

"Dear, that sounds like a baby to me." He laughed lightly.

"Well, I eventually want to be a college professor but that's way down the road." She smiled, her energy just radiating. Jack liked this young woman.

"So, you like working for John and Dave?" Jack asked.

"Oh, yeah. They are really nice. You haven't met Maura's dad yet, have you? Oh, you'll like him. He's a doctor, too. They are so good together, Dave and John. And they just love Maura. Spoil her rotten." Kathryn babbled on and on as Jack just sat and absorbed the update on his son's life.

~~~~~~~~~~

Upon hearing Dave arrive home, Maura immediately got up and ran to him.

"That's Maura's dad. He gets home before John does today." Kathryn explained, watching Maura run from the room. Jack stood to meet the man his son cared so much about.

"And Kathryn let me color in the living room downstairs!" Maura bubbled, in her daddy's arms as he came in through the kitchen. Dave was listening closely to her every word.

"She did? I bet that made you feel special." He held her and playfully kissed her all over her face. Maura giggled with delight. She was tickling his neck and Dave was faking a giggle back. As they entered the living room, Maura pointed to Jack.

"That man is Daddy John's daddy. His name is Jack. Jack this is my daddy." She did her best at introducing them.

"Pleased to meet you Sir." Dave shifted Maura to his left hip and extended his hand towards Jack. "I'm Dave." John had called Dave at work and explained that his father was planning on staying at the house and that he knew about the two of them.

"Nice to meet you, Dave. Call me Jack. You have a lovely daughter." Jack shook Dave's hand. Good, firm handshake. Good looking, built, Italian kid. Not quite what he expected.

"Well, thank you, sir. John should be home soon. He said he'd be here for dinner." Dave explained, putting Maura down and nudging her back to her crayons.

"Would you like a drink?" Jack offered as he walked behind a small bar in the corner of the room to freshen his glass of scotch.

"Maybe just a beer." Dave answered. "But I know that they are in the kitchen."

Henry, the butler had just come into the living room. "Can I get anyone anything?" He offered.

"Yes, Henry, would you bring Dave a beer, please." Jacked ordered politely.

~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile John was at his locker after finishing up his shift. The news of his parents divorce had hit him pretty hard. He had also seen more than his share of trauma cases that had not ended well. He was just looking forward to going home. Even though he was feeling a bit excited about spending some time with his dad he was a bit apprehensive about talking about the divorce.

As he hung his lab coat in the locker and put on his over coat, Susan had come in also getting ready to leave. She pulled out a small gift box and began to hand it to him.

"Oh man, I forgot." He groaned. Weeks before, he and Susan had agreed to get each other a small gift, wanting to acknowledge their renewed friendship. Back when John was just a student, after one special Christmas, they had gotten into the habit of exchanging gifts on special occasions. She had suggested they pick up on their old tradition. It was a way to hang on to the innocence of the past and was something special between the two of them.

"I mean�I didn't forget, I just left it at home. Maybe we can do this later?" He really was not in the mood.

"Is something wrong?" Susan seemed a bit confused. She was beginning to think that John really wasn't interested in her after all.

"I'm having family problems. It's my parents. They're getting divorced." He added. "I don't think it's quite sunk in yet." He knew that he was rambling but just couldn't seem to help himself.

Susan tried to make him feel better with some story about her parents and how they should be divorced but were still together. The entire conversation just seemed pointless. John hadn't really heard a single word she said as she went on about thinking that this all had something to do with her.

"You're the only thing going right in my life." John said without even thinking about Dave. His mind was focused on his parents, his grandmother and on the rotten day he was having. He just wanted to get out of there.

"Later okay?" John grabbed his leather bag and left.

~~~~~~~~

John arrived home and immediately heard everyone in the living room. As soon as Maura saw him she ran to give him a hug. Picking her up, they rubbed their noses together. Still holding Maura, he reached out to greet his father.

"Dad, I see that you've met everyone," he smiled happily. He felt a bit awkward but his father seemed to be getting along with everyone so he tried to put his skepticism aside.

"That's quite a little, girl." Jack complimented. John nodded in agreement.

Dave stood and was now waiting his turn to greet John. He shifted Maura to his hip as he pulled Dave in for a kiss but as soon as their lips touched he quickly pulled away.

"Would you take her and please excuse me for a moment." John asked as handed Maura to Dave. He headed upstairs.

Dave sat Maura down with Kathryn and turned around to go after him.

John just wanted to strip off his clothes and crawl into bed, but he knew that he would be expected to come down for dinner. He was changing his shirt, while Dave carried on about how he understood that John probably felt awkward kissing him in front of his father.

"No Dave, that's not it at all. It's just that I had a really shitty day and you taste like beer." John scowled. "I guess I'm just tired." John sat down on the bed as he pulled on his house slippers.

Dave went into the bathroom to brush his teeth. John followed him; leaning over his own sink he splashed water onto his face.

"As long as I'm here I might as well brush my teeth, also." John said as he picked up his toothbrush and looked around for the toothpaste.

"Lookin fer dis," Dave asked, with his mouth still full of foam; he handed him the tube.

After Dave had finished, he leaned against the sink watching John as he dried his face. Placing the towel on the counter, John stepped close to Dave as their lips met, they pulled each other close, touching and caressing deepening the kiss only breaking apart to catch their breath.

"I'm sorry for acting so cranky, I've just been in such a crappy mood lately. I don't know what's wrong with me." He was cut off as Dave placed his hand on his cheek and kissed him again.

"Hey, we all have bad days, mine wasn't all that great either. I could not wait for it to just end so I could be here, with you." Dave took John's hand in his.

"We had better get back downstairs."

~~~~~~~~

They had all enjoyed dinner and John was feeling a bit better. Afterwards they all went into the living room. John had wandered over towards the large Christmas tree at the far side of the room.

"I missed you not being here for this," John sighed as he pointed out the tree to his dad.

"Did you cut it down yourself?" Jack asked as he toasted the tree with his glass of scotch.

"Yeah, we all did," John gestured around to everyone else in the room.

"I got to pick it out," Maura squealed in delight as she patted his leg.

"That's nice, keeping up with the old family tradition." Jack went to the record cabinet and began searching through old albums, looking for Christmas music.

Suddenly remembering something that Peter had once told him, John lay down on the floor next to the tree staring up towards the top. Maura came over and lay down next to him.

"This is the best way to look at a Christmas tree." He told her as she stared up at the lights.

"Daddy, come see." She begged Dave to join them.

Jack had just put on some Christmas music and it was rather loud for a moment. Turning it down he sat down and started up a conversation with Kathryn. None of them had heard the front door bell ring.

As Dave lay down, John had pulled him close wrapping his arm around him so Dave lay cradled in John's arms.

~~~~~~~~

Susan had been worried about John all evening. She had tried his cell phone but had not gotten an answer. She had decided that she should check on him. Thinking that he would be all alone in that big house. She knew that he had a lot going on right now but thought that he just needed someone to talk to.

Henry had let her in and led her into the living room. Just at that moment, John leaned in to kiss Dave.

"Excused me, Dr. John. You have a visitor." Henry announced as they stood just inside the room.

Susan stood in complete shock as John suddenly sat up, pulling himself up to his feet. He helped Dave up as he introduced her to everyone.

"John, I'm going to take Maura up for her bath and put her to bed." Dave said as he picked up Maura.

"You'll come tuck me in, Daddy John?" Maura squealed as she reached out to give him a hug.

"Yes, Sweetie I'll be up in a little while, I promise," John hugged her and kissed her cheek. Dave headed upstairs knowing that John was embarrassed by what his friend had just witnessed.

I guess we should go upstairs as well," Kathryn took Jack's offered arm and walked out giggling along the way.

"I am so sorry." John began. "I just didn't know how to tell you. Except for our immediate families no one knows about this." John continued, "Dave used to work at County, that's where we met. We've been seeing each other for a long time, but neither one of us are quite ready for our relationship to become public knowledge. It's bad enough that everyone already is constantly speculating on everyone's relationships, I just don't like people intruding in my personal life." John knew that this wasn't really answering Susan's questions, but he just didn't know what else to say.

"This doesn't explain why you have been coming on to me, the flirting and the kisses." Susan paused to catch her breath. "What was that all about?"

"I haven't been," he denied at first. "I don't know. I mean it's just that it's hard to explain." John began pacing.

"I have really been having a lot of fun with you. I enjoy your company but more importantly you've given me back something that I thought that I had lost." John felt a bit foolish, he couldn't figure out why he felt so nervous.

"You just have no idea what I have been through since the attack. To work every day, with the very people that found you bleeding to death and stripped you naked to save your life." John felt a flush creep up his neck and face.

"I have had to work so hard to prove myself and to regain everyone's trust that I...." He paused momentarily, as he tried to catch his breath. Susan took his arm and led him over to the sofa.

"Well, maybe you should come sit down and just talk to me." Susan sat down gesturing for John to join her. Her voice was so sweet and inviting that it made him feel a little more at ease. He sat sideways with his feet on the sofa so that he was facing her. Susan turned to face towards him as he continued.

"When I saw you again, it was like nothing had ever happened to me. I wasn't John Carter the victim, the drug addict, the recovering addict. I know that it's hard for you to understand but it's been a long time since I have felt like myself." John bit his lip and lowered his face away from her.

"I know that I got a little carried away at times but I haven't felt this alive for so long, even Dave noticed it." John seemed to perk up a bit. "But, I never meant to hurt you. I swear." He hung his head, not able to look her in the eye.

Susan leaned over and placed her hands on John's cheeks and kissed him sweetly on the mouth. "John you haven't hurt me, but you should have told me." She looked into his deep brown eyes.

At that moment, Dave stepped into the room. "Am I interrupting anything?" Dave asked cautiously.

"No, Dave, come on in, please. I think that I owe you two a more personal introduction. " John grinned sheepishly as Dave scooted onto the couch along side him.

"Maura is waiting for you," Dave whispered, reminding John that he had made Maura a promise.

"Would you like to tag along with me while I go say goodnight to Maura." John asked Susan.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world," Susan smiled as they both stood.

"I never thought I would get to see the day when John Carter was raising a child." Susan ran behind him as they scurried upstairs.

~~~~~~~~

It was 6am Christmas morning and John lay awake, thinking about the message that Peter had left. He was leaving County and had wanted to say good-bye. Their schedules had somehow not allowed for them to get together and this was going to be his last chance. Dave had worked a night shift getting home at about 2am. John had deliberately kept Maura up very late so that she would sleep in so Dave would not have to get up too early.

John got up and got dressed. On his dresser was a small jewelry box containing cuff links, tiepins, and a few other miscellaneous trinkets. He took it into the bathroom so that he could see what he was looking for. Finding an old El token, he slipped it in his pocket and wrote a note for Dave. He quietly went downstairs and headed for the kitchen door.

"And just where do you think you're sneaking off too?" Corrine teased as he nearly ran into the woman.

"I have to go out for a bit. I'll be back as soon as possible. " He started to go out the door, then turned back around. "Corrine you wouldn't have a small gift box would you?"

"Hold on, I think I do." She went back to her room and soon came out with a small gold box with a red bow on it handing it to John. "Will this do?"

"Perfect, thank you." John kissed her on the cheek. "If Dave should wake up before I get back tell him I'll be back soon." John said as he went out the door.

~~~~~~~~

John's meeting with Peter had been short but sweet if not a bit emotional. He could not imagine what it was going to be like without Peter. They had said their good-byes and Peter had left, leaving John just standing there. How anyone could jog in this weather is beyond me he thought as he walked towards his Jeep. He still had one more stop to make before returning home.

Pulling into the driveway and parking just out side the kitchen entrance, John ran inside to see if anyone was awake yet.

Maura was just getting up when she heard him coming up the hall. Climbing down from her bed she scrambled to meet him.

"Hey, good morning sleepy head. Merry Christmas!" He picked her up and carried her with him into his room. Dave was still cuddled up under the warm comforter snoozing away.

John sat Maura on the bed and leaned over Dave planting soft kisses along his jaw, he whispered. "Wakey wakey my sleeping beauty."

Maura joined in grabbing hold of Dave's arm; she tugged with all her little might. "Come on Daddy get up."

Dave grumbled and tried to pretend to hide under the covers pulling Maura into a hug. She sat up and began to pull the covers off of him but he quickly grabbed them back. John knew that Dave was totally naked under the covers so he picked Maura up. "Let's get you dressed while Daddy gets up."

John helped her pick out her clothes. She dressed herself in a long sleeve pink T-shirt and a pair of denim overalls only needing help with the buckles. She sat down on the bed as he helped her put on her socks and shoes then sat her on the counter in her bathroom while he brushed out her long curls. He braided her hair, had her brush her teeth, and wash her face.

Dave met them as they were coming out of the room, together they headed downstairs. It seemed strange having Christmas in his grandmother's home without her there.

After they exchanged all the gifts, John presented Dave with a gift from his grandmother. Handing him a rather large folder.

"What's this?" Dave asked opening the folders. He looked puzzled as he took out the papers not quite understanding what they were.

"It's just a little something that Gamma wanted you to have." John smiled. "It's a trust fund for both you and Maura." John explained seeing that Dave still didn't understand.

"I can't accept this." Dave was reluctant to except such a gift.

"Yes you can, Dave. Gamma will be very disappointed if you don't." John reassured him that his grandmother wanted them to have it.

John still had one last gift for Dave. He reached into his pocket and handed him a small envelope and he told him he had something special for him.

Dave opened it to find two keys on a silver key chain.

"What's this, the keys to your heart?" Dave teased, tossing the keys in the air and catching them.

"No, Goof. Come here." John laughed as he took Dave's hand and led him out the kitchen door. Parked just outside was a brand new, deep blue Jeep.

"Merry Christmas Dave." John announced. "Come on. Let's go for a drive. I told Gamma we would come visit."