- Text Size +
The next day, John found him in the health food aisle, writing down prices on granola bars. He watched him for a minute, studied his posture, his figure, his behavior. He'd noticed before that he furrowed his brow when he concentrated, and that he tended to frown when he was really thinking. But all he was doing was changing prices from a set list, surely he had to be thinking about something else besides just that. Briefly, John wondered just what it was.

"Hi."

Dave glanced up, didn't look the least bit surprised. "Hey. Need help with something?"
"Uh.. yeah, actually," he said, stepping closer to the boy, passing the bottle of water between his hands. He'd forgotten, on his last visit, to ask Dave to come to that party at his gamma's -- used it as an excuse to talk to him again. Although, really, he would've done so anyway. "I was wondering if, um.. if, well, you know, if you wanted to.. if, uh.. "

The boy turned away, placing the candy bars on the shelf. John had also noticed that he tended to do that too, supposedly because he lost interest in things easily, although he wasn't too sure if he just pretended to just yet. But, just in case, he had to say something, and he had to say something quick. But suddenly it was hard for him to say anything at all! Why couldn't he just ask Dave to go to the party, it wasn't as if he were asking him out on a date..

"I was wondering if, maybe, you'd, uh, if you want to.. "

"I'd.. ?"
"Help me find.. something.. for.. someone," he blurted out in choppy sentences, fighting the urge to roll his eyes at his own ridiculousness. He sighed to himself, knowing that now that he'd said that, he couldn't go back to what he'd wanted to say. Quick, make something up! "It's for someone that I'm.. interested in. I wanted to get them something.. nice."
"I'm marking down these granola bars."

John paused, not really sure what to say to that. "I was hoping for something a little more.. impressive."

Dave flashed a grin, and John felt a thrill go through him. The boy -- well, the former boy behind the counter -- thought he was funny!
"What about.. chocolate?" he suggested, shrugging as he turned back to re-pricing the bars.
"What about it?"
"Well, it's.. it's sweet, you know?" he asked rhetorically, turning to look at John with those deep eyes. "And it sorta shows that you're interested without bein' too.. pushy. You know what I mean? Get some chocolate, see what happens."

"Chocolate," John repeated, nodding once. "Thanks, Dave. I'll try that. And I'll see you tomorrow."

"See ya."
John turned, heading to the checkout counter and putting his bottle of water on the counter. The different boy behind the counter smiled cheerily, asking: "Is that everything?"
"Yep," he replied, but then suddenly looked up. "You know what? I forgot something." He turned, before glancing back with a smile. "Where do you keep the chocolate?"