Walk The Sky by The She Devil
Summary: After a nasty breakup with Luka, Dave realizes he has feelings for John. But what happens when John realizes he might have similar feelings for Dave?

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Just know that this fic is not only about dudes doing it, but it also has lots of plots and twists and all the good steamy stuff that I usually write about. And it's the first slash that I've ever written, so please be kind.
Categories: Regular Characters: Dave Malucci, John Carter, Luka Kovac
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 294098 Read: 935728 Published: August 26, 2004 Updated: August 27, 2004

1. Chapter One - Last Time by The She Devil

2. Chapter Two - Radio Silence by The She Devil

3. Chapter Three - Here Tonight by The She Devil

4. Chapter Four - Walk The Sky by The She Devil

5. Chapter Five - So Lost by The She Devil

6. Chapter Six - Push Rewind by The She Devil

7. Chapter Seven - Keeps Me Hanging On by The She Devil

8. Chapter Eight - Something More by The She Devil

9. Chapter Nine - Somebody Else by The She Devil

10. Chapter Ten - Anything Good by The She Devil

11. Chapter Eleven - Save You by The She Devil

12. Chapter Twelve - Downfall by The She Devil

13. Chapter Thirteen - Fine Again by The She Devil

14. Chapter Fourteen - Break Her Fall by The She Devil

15. Chapter Fifteen - Bound To Be A While by The She Devil

16. Chapter Sixteen - Living Your Ghost by The She Devil

17. Chapter Seventeen - Overtime by The She Devil

18. Chapter Eighteen A - - A Beautiful Life by The She Devil

19. Chapter Eighteen B - Innocence by The She Devil

20. Chapter Nineteen - Subject Change by The She Devil

21. Chapter Twenty - What I've Undone by The She Devil

22. Chapter Twenty-One - Gray And Blue by The She Devil

23. Chapter Twenty-Two - Someday, Somehow by The She Devil

24. Chapter Twenty-Three - Come Around by The She Devil

25. Chapter Twenty-Four - Used To Be by The She Devil

26. Epilogue - Like This Forever by The She Devil

Chapter One - Last Time by The She Devil
-------------------------------Chapter One: Last Time -------------------------------

I'm not the first you sucked down

I drank your pleasure slow

Then stumbled out from your veil

-------------------------------------

"You did not," Luka heard Carter say as he opened the door, obviously not believing something that the other person was talking about. Luka adjusted the heat of the water, feeling a slight chill as the door opened and let the cold air from the adjoining men's room in.

"Yes I did!" Dave's voice now, incredulous that Carter did not believe him. The door to the showers closed behind him, and then he heard scrubs being removed and thrown into the trash. "How can that be so hard to believe?"

"First of all, because *I* have never performed one, and I'm a senior resident," Carter replied as he came into Luka's view. He reached inside one of the stalls and turned on the shower. Luka had never seen him naked, and he had a surprisingly nice body, though if he worked out it would've looked much better. "And second of all, we're talking about Doctor Benton here, Dave. He would never let you do that if you promised him a million bucks."

"Yeah, well whether or not you believe it," Dave retorted, now coming into Luka's view as well, "he let me do it. That's another procedure to tack onto my residency. Besides, you can just ask Chen. She was there. And she looked pretty damn cute in those trauma scrubs. I think she thought I looked cute too."

Carter laughed, shaking his head as he stepped into a stall, not bothering to close the door, like most of the doctors did when they took showers. Luka let his eyes wander over Dave's body, taking in his muscles, his tight ass...and if he turned around just a little bit, he might be able to get a glimpse of his cock.

As if he had heard his silent request, Dave suddenly turned, taking Luka by surprise, and the resident smiled knowingly. Luka had been caught, but he didn't look away. "Hey, Luka. How's it hanging?" He smiled widely at his own joke, and then turned back to the shower, adjusting the heat of the water. He stepped inside the stall and closed the translucent glass door, not allowing Luka to see his naked body anymore.

Suddenly a pager went off, and everyone stepped out to see whose it was. Carter swore quietly after seeing that it was his. He pulled out a new set of scrubs and quickly put them on, obviously upset that he couldn't finish taking his shower after being puked on by a dozen Brownie Troopers who had gotten food poisoning in the woods.

"There's no escape," Carter groaned, shaking his head. He grabbed his pager and ID badge, and then started towards the door. "I'll see you guys later," he called over his shoulder before he left the shower room.

That left Luka alone with Dave.

-------------------------------------

I'm not the first you sucked down

I drank your pleasure slow

Then stumbled out from your veil

-------------------------------------

Dave leaned his head forward, gently rinsing the shampoo out of his hair. He had assisted Carter with those Brownie Troopers, and had been kneeling down in front of one so he could be level with them when she had opened her mouth and heaved all over him. The girl that Carter was holding had followed suit, and soon all of the girls were barfing all over the place, and by the time they were finished, both doctors were full of vomit.

He suddenly felt a swift breeze pass over his legs, and turned to see where it had come from. He came face to face with Luka, who was shutting the translucent door behind him; the breeze had come from the cold air drifting into the shower. Slightly taken by surprise, Dave darted his eyes from the older man.

"Luka..." he said awkwardly, under his gaze. "What're you doing here?"

"I think you know what I'm doing here," he replied, and then reached out and touched Dave's cheek gently. He lured Dave closer, and then led his lips closer to him, slightly drawing his face upwards because Dave was shorter by about four inches. Dave's brown eyes looked into his own hazel ones curiously, but then he closed them as their lips met in a soft kiss. Dave suddenly pulled away, but Luka grabbed the junior resident's semi-erect cock to stop him. "What's wrong?"

-------------------------------------

Still I've come for you tonight

You choke my faith and stab my pride

And tell myself that

-------------------------------------

"Luka...we can't do this," Dave said, barely able to think because of Luka's hand touching him.

"Don't worry," he said, a suggestive smile spreading across his face. He gave Dave a gentle tug, pulling him closer. Dave glanced up. "I locked the door."

"You know what I mean." Luka suddenly grabbed Dave's shoulders and pushed him up against the shower wall brusquely; the wind could've been knocked out of him if Luka wanted it to. Dave stared at Luka for a moment, and he felt a sudden fear taking over him. He was just being paranoid he knew, Luka would never hurt him...would he? Luka, mistaking the fear in Dave's eyes for excitement, smiled. They stared at each other for a moment, Dave's eyes searching Luka's, and with a sudden burst of passion Luka kissed him roughly. At first, Dave tried to pull out of the embrace, but finally gave into the passion.

Luka opened his mouth and greedily took Dave's tongue inside, sucking on it gently and then allowing it to explore. Luka moved his hands to Dave's nipples, gently stroking them. Dave moved his hands all over Luka's body as well, touching his ass and his chest and his erection and his everything, barely able to get enough.

Dave removed one of his hands from Luka's body as he hastily reached for the conditioner that was laying on a nearby shelf along with all of the other various toiletries. His hand groped the shelf for it, knocking several bottles to the floor as he searched for it, and he felt Luka place his hand on top of his.

"Here," Luka whispered breathlessly into his ear, pressing himself against Dave long enough to hear the low moan escape from the younger man's lips, "let me do it."

-------------------------------------

This is the last time

This is the last time

This is the last time now

I bleed for you

-------------------------------------

Luka opened the conditioner and squeezed some into his hand, and then started rubbing it slowly on Dave's hard on. Dave placed his hand around Luka's wrist and stopped him, and then applied the conditioner himself, moaning as he did so. Dave could barely control himself; if he didn't get inside Luka soon, then there was going to be a mess all over the both of them.

Realizing this, Luka quickly turned around, allowing Dave to have full access to his ass, which was waiting not so patiently. Dave loved this feeling, the feeling of being in control. He loved the power he had over his lovers, whether his lover was a woman or a man, Dave loved controlling them and dominating them. Dave smiled with pleasure as he moved closer to Luka, pressing his hot cock against the older man and kissing his shoulder, using his tongue to gently flick over his skin and give him gooseflesh.

Dave stood slightly on tiptoe and Luka bent his knees somewhat so that they could be at even height, and Dave just inserted the tip of his hard on into Luka's ass, snaking his other hand around so that he could caress Luka's penis. Dave smiled mischievously, gently touching his lips to Luka's ear.

"Tell me you want it," Dave whispered teasingly into Luka's ear.

"God damn it, Dave, you know I want it," Luka hissed, barely able to concentrate on forming words because of the sensations that Dave was creating at the moment. "Please..."

A sharp intake of breath was heard from Luka as Dave entered him. Dave had great lovemaking skills, always managing to make the sex hot and passionate, teasing Luka relentlessly until he exploded. He moved with long, slow strokes, causing Luka to sigh with pleasure each time Dave touched his prostate.

With the level of ecstasy that Dave provided, Luka knew he didn't need any help coming, but sometimes it was more enjoyable when he had help. Dave gave Luka's cock a tug, then ran his thumb over the head, and that was all it took to throw Luka over the edge, and he exploded, throwing his head back and moaning, almost screaming.

Now that there was no more pressure, Luka could fully enjoy the sex, feeling mini orgasms each time Dave touched his prostate, moving with quicker strokes each time. He could hear Dave's breathing becoming erratic and feel his hot breath on his neck, faster and faster until he was near hyperventilation and then finally he came deep inside of Luka, collapsing against him when he was finished.

-------------------------------------

Preservation or predation

And I'm reeling I don't know

Crumbled, I spill out of your hand

I want to fall, and you see it all

You'll just laugh when I say

-------------------------------------

They stood like that for a moment before Dave pulled himself out of Luka, causing both of them to grunt slightly. Dave turned towards the shower, letting the water wash away any remnants of the sex, and he felt Luka wrap his arms around him to help him clean up, and Dave tensed immediately. Luka pressed against Dave's backside, and Dave flinched, pulling away.

"Luka...we can't do this anymore," he said, unable to meet the older man's gaze as he gently pushed Luka's hands off of him.

"You didn't seem to have a problem with it a few moments ago," he said, trying to get Dave to look at him by sheer will.

"I can't continue being your fuckboy every time you need to work off some tension," he said harshly, and then slid the shower door open and stepped outside, quickly snatching a towel from off of the rack and placing it around his waist, grabbing another one to dry himself off. Luka followed suit, grabbing a towel and placing it around his waist as well.

"You're the one doing the fucking," Luka snapped back.

Dave turned and growled: "You know what I mean. You're the one that wanted it this way, Luka. You're the one that wanted it to be one one-night stand after another."

Luka could remember the night that they had first had sex; it was the night that Luka had first had sex with a man at all.

They had both had a long day at County and were pulled away from leaving by another trauma that Kerry had forced them to take by threatening them with their jobs. They had obliged quickly, and the trauma hadn't gone well at all. Their patient had had too severe injuries, and even after they had cracked the chest and directly shocked the heart, he was still in V-fib. After Luka had asked to stop compressions, the patient had immediately gone asystole.

Sad thing was, the patient kind of reminded Dave of his first boyfriend.

Even though the patient had died, Dave had thought that seeing Luka work so wonderfully on the patient was almost like witnessing a miracle, and he had asked Luka if he'd like to go grab a drink with him now that they were off. Luka had hesitated, but soon accepted the invitation because he had nothing better to do at home besides figuring out how to use his new microwave so he could make dinner.

At the bar, both men had gotten plastered. The bartender who knew Luka had taken away his keys and had called a cab, telling Luka that he could pick up his keys tomorrow - that is if he didn't decide to stay and get plastered during that visit too. The cab had taken them to Luka's house first, and then the cabby was going to take Dave back to his place. It was late at night, the early hours of the morning in fact, and the streets were deserted, the only ones there being Luka, Dave, and the cabby.

Luka was having such a nice night, he didn't want it to end just yet. What was one more beer? They were already drunk, they might as well. He held out his hand to the younger doctor and smiled.

"Want to come upstairs?" he asked. Dave smiled and took Luka's outstretched hand, and climbed out of the cab, paying the driver on his way out. Both men quickly went upstairs, giggling the whole way up to Luka's apartment in their drunken stupor.

-------------------------------------

This is the last time

This is the last time

This is the last time now

I bleed for you

-------------------------------------

"Do you want some Forester's?" Luka asked, holding up the bottle of hard liquor. Dave grinned and nodded, sitting at the kitchen table lazily. Luka turned and began to pour the drinks in the glasses when he suddenly felt Dave wrap his arms around him and nuzzle his neck. Luka turned, taken aback by his action. Was David Malucci coming on to him? "What are you doing?"

"I think you know what I'm doing," Dave said, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. He pressed himself against Luka, and the older man could feel the pressure in the younger man's pants. He heard a soft sigh escape from Dave's lips. "Have you ever been with a guy before?"

"No..." was the slow reply. Luka suddenly realized that Dave had been flirting the whole night. He had tossed the attending compliments, playful smiles, dirty jokes...it was all coming together now, the mixed signals that he had received from Dave. "Dave...I'm not sure if we should do this."

"Why not?" Dave asked, leaning more heavily against him. He raised his lashes, looking into Luka's eyes. He smiled, bit his lip, then raised on tiptoe so that he could whisper into Luka's ear: "You know there's a first time for everything..."

Luka looked at Dave, searching his brown eyes and that naughty grin, finding nothing but pure passion. He felt a pressure building in his own pants now. Dave slowly moved his lips closer to Luka's, and soon they were touching his. Luka was hesitant at first, but soon gave in as he felt Dave's tongue push past his closed lips and into his mouth, delightfully surprising him.

Soon clothes were being strewn about - on the kitchen floor, counters, Dave's shirt landing in the kitchen sink, Luka's shirt landing over the blender. They could've taken it to the kitchen table, but Luka knew he would have to eat on it sooner or later, so they took it to the bedroom.

Dave had taken the lead being that it was Luka's first time, and he had loved every minute of it. He had told Luka what to do, he had told him what to expect, and he had even surprised him a little. He had been in complete control.

-------------------------------------

And everything I feel I know you know

And everything that heals I know you know

And everything that steals I know you know

And everything that kills you know...

-------------------------------------

The next morning both had awoken with hangovers, and they couldn't remember much of last night. But they soon figured out what had happened after they had realized they were naked and in the same bed. Dave had asked Luka if he wanted to keep this between them, and Luka had quickly said yes, stating that he had never been with a man and that he never intended to be with one again.

Dave had been understanding, having heard that many times before, having been used many times before, by many people - men and women. It was always the same, but he could understand where they were coming from. But he couldn't say that he wasn't hurt by it. He had actually liked Luka; he had actually wanted something more than just sex, maybe some sort of relationship. But that was usually what happened when he got his hopes to high: he was let down miserably.

And Luka and Dave had only had a one-night stand. That is, until he had showed up at Dave's apartment one night, feeling an itch that only the resident could scratch.

They had continued to have casual sex, but Luka had, for some reason or another, never wanted it to go any further. Now he wished he had. He wished that he could joke around with Dave and talk with him the way that Carter did, and he suddenly felt insanely jealous towards Carter. Dave and Luka's relationship had ended in a vicious fight, with Dave wanting something more than casual sex and Luka only wanting that. They had both ended up ignoring each other and avoiding each other.

Until today.

-------------------------------------

And tell myself that

This is the last time

This is the last time

This is the last time now

-------------------------------------

"I made a mistake," he said, sincerity ringing through his voice. He tried to plead with Dave with his eyes, but the younger man would still not make eye contact with him. "Why can't we be together now?"

"Because maybe I don't feel the same way anymore," Dave said, finally meeting Luka's gaze.

"It's because of him, isn't it?" Luka asked, and Dave didn't answer, but instead looked down again. He moved closer to Dave, softly touching his cheek. Dave darted his eyes from Luka's as the attending moved his hand down, brushing it over his nipple and feeling it stiffen to his touch. "He doesn't know what you like..." he whispered. Dave closed his eyes and took a deep, shaky breath to keep himself in check. Then Luka moved his hand to deliberately brush over Dave's ass. Dave flinched and pulled away, but Luka grabbed his wrist so he couldn't go any further. "...And what you don't like."

"He can learn," Dave said, trying to get out of Luka's grasp, but he was too strong. He stopped struggling, knowing his attempts were vain and he wasn't really trying anyway. He scowled at Luka. "You did."

"What makes you so sure that he's the one?" Luka asked, staring intensely at Dave. "Why aren't I the one?"

"Because he's different," he said quickly.

"That's right," Luka said callously. "He is different. He isn't like us."

"You weren't either until you met me," Dave reminded him defiantly. He tried to pull away from Luka again, but the attending wouldn't relent. "Let me go, Luka, I have to get back to work."

Luka did as he was told, letting go of Dave, and the resident quickly grabbed a set of scrubs and moved towards the men's room to get as far away from Luka as he could, fearing that what just occurred in the shower would occur again if he stayed too close to him for too long.

-------------------------------------

This is the last time

This is the last time

This is the last time now...

-------------------------------------
Chapter Two - Radio Silence by The She Devil
------------------------------- Chapter Two: Radio Silence -------------------------------

Let it sing

Let it cry

You roll out the carpets

-------------------------------

"Hey, Dave!" John Carter called as the younger resident picked through the charts - something that they weren't allowed to do, but Dave didn't feel like dealing with yeast infections or hemorrhoids right now. Dave abruptly stopped, and turned around to see Carter holding out a pair of gloves. He looked up at Carter, a slight smile twitching at the corner of his mouth, and pulled out a chart at random. "Would you care to join me in a trauma?"

"Well I don't know, Carter," Dave replied, the twitch turning into a suggestive smile. "You haven't even asked me out on a date yet."

"Hey," Carter said, holding his hands up mock-defensively. He took a step back and smiled himself. "It's either me or..." - he approached Dave and stood behind him, glancing over his shoulder to read the chart - "a disempaction. Very nice."

Dave contemplated for a moment, weighing out his options. He finally turned to Carter. "I don't know...a good disempaction sounds so tempting." He tossed his chart back onto the admin desk.

"Thought so." Carter handed him the gloves, and he pulled them on.

They moved out of the ER doors and into the ambulance bay, where Luka and Kerry were already waiting. They stood in silence, blowing on their hands to warm them up, and at the back of his mind Dave thought he should've grabbed his jacket. It was evening, the sun just setting, and it would soon be night.

"What's the trauma?" he asked, looking at the tiny figures seated inside Doc Magoo's, hoping he'd be able to get there sometime during his shift and have a nice, warm coffee. He would kill for a break right now, but a trauma was better than a disempaction, he had to admit.

"Not sure," Carter answered honestly with a shrug. "The EMTs can't exactly figure out what happened."

Dave wasn't really listening, he had just been trying to start some sort of conversation. What are my plans tonight? he thought idly. He had none. It was a Saturday night and David Malucci had no plans? Now was as good a time as any to make some.

"Hey, Carter," Dave started, turning to him. Carter looked at him with raised eyebrows. Dave glanced at Luka, who didn't seem to be listening. His conscious almost didn't allow him to say anything more, but he knew he wouldn't have the balls to do it later. "When do you get off?"

So that wasn't what he had hoped to ask, but it was better than nothing.

"Eight-thirty," he replied hesitantly. "Why?"

"Want to grab a beer at nine?" Dave asked, damning the rosters for having him work a half-hour longer than Carter. Now Carter would have to stick around for another half-hour, which was probably something that he didn't want to do...that is, if he even accepted his invite. Dave could hear the ambulance approaching from the distance, its sirens increasing in volume as it came closer.

"I don't know, Dave..." Carter said. His idea of a good Saturday night was going home after work and sleeping in until Monday, when he had to return to work again, not spending the night getting drunk with David Malucci.

"It's just a beer," Dave said, looking away from the ambulance that was now entering the ambulance bay and then back to Carter.

"Dave!" Weaver barked, startling the young resident. He glanced at her, and she indicated the ambulance with her cane. "Trauma. You can talk about your social plans afterwards. You take the first case with Doctor Kovac, I'll take the second one with Doctor Carter."

"Doctor Kovac?" Dave asked Kerry after quickly exchanging glances with Luka. He smiled nervously, rubbing the nape of his neck. Kerry narrowed her eyes at his sudden nervousness. "You know, it's been a while since I've worked on a trauma with Carter here. I always seem to get stuck with Doctor Kovac..." He glanced at Luka, who was watching with clear hurt in his eyes, and Dave immediately cast his eyes to the ground. "Nothing against him or anything..."

"I don't care, Malucci," she snapped irritably. Whatever was going on between Luka and Dave didn't need to get in the middle of a trauma. She supposed him working with Carter was the best. "Just pick a trauma partner and save a life."

"Sure thing, Chief," he said with a charming smile that managed to win over almost every woman he'd ever met except her and a few choice others. She rolled her eyes as the ambulance stopped in front of them, and each pair of doctors moved towards their assigned positions. "Looks like it's me and you, Carter."

"Must be my lucky day, Dave," Carter joked.

"Dr. Malucci," he heard Luka say sternly, "I'd like to speak with you later."

"What about?"

"Later." Dave could tell that Luka was pissed, but too much of a professional to let anyone else see it. He just hoped that he could avoid the older man until the end of his shift so he wouldn't find out what he'd like to speak with him about, which, if his instincts served him correctly, he already knew what the topic was.

The ambulance doors pushed open hastily, and the two paramedics emerged with the first gurney. Glancing down, Dave noticed a boy of about eight years of age sitting on it, clutching a rather large gray cat in his arms. The cat let out a meow, but did not protest against the boy's grip.

Dave turned to the boy. "Hey, little guy. What's your name?"

"I fell down the stairs," he said, avoiding eye contact with either doctor. Dave and Carter exchanged glances above the little blonde boy's head, and Dave looked to the paramedic, seeing that he wasn't going to get anything else out of the little boy.

"Name's Daniel Tucker," the female paramedic reported as the two doctors led them into the ER, pushing the gurney along with them. The doctors, paramedics, and boy emerged into the ER, quickly moving towards a trauma room. "He called 911, and all he said was his name and address, and that he fell down the stairs. What it looks like is that that's his father back there, and that they *both* fell down the stairs."

"How did that happen?" Carter asked, astonished. He glanced down at the little boy, but he looked too upset to say anything. What the hell had happened? Carter glanced at his trauma partner again, and saw that Dave's brow was creased with deep thought. He made eye contact with Carter, but Carter looked back down to Daniel. "Daniel, can you tell me what happened?"

"I fell down the stairs," he answered again, this time more firmly.

"I'm going to need an IV started, CBC, Chem 7..." Dave said, turning his professional instincts on. The first step was to take care of the patient, make sure he was all right physically. Then he was going to see about emotionally and mentally. He didn't like what he saw, he didn't like it at all. The boy may have fallen down the stairs, but that wasn't the only thing that had happened, not by a long shot.

And he was going to find out what else had.

-------------------------------

No such thing

You mustn't pry

All hail to another confession

-------------------------------

Inside the trauma room, Dave had just finished applying a cast to Daniel's broken arm. Carter had left briefly to get the results to the various tests that Dave had ordered, and Dave was now cleaning up the leftover plaster and special gauze, throwing them into the proper garbage bin. He glanced back at the boy, and smoothed down a piece of the still wet cast that was sticking up.

"There you go," he said, smiling brightly, trying to spark some sort of reaction from the boy, who had stayed silent the whole time, the cat sleeping at the end of the gurney. "Now all your friends can sign it, and put little messages...on...it..." He gave up, trailing off when he realized he wasn't going to get anywhere. He let out a frustrated sigh and placed his hands on his waist.

Carter walked through the trauma doors at that moment, holding the results of the tests.

"Everything looks normal," he reported as he showed Dave the results. Dave glanced at the boy worriedly, and then to his still unconscious father in Truama Two. Daniel's father had come in with a severe concussion, but should be waking soon. When he woke up, then they'd get the story; the boy was too traumatized to tell anyone, apparently. "What do you think's wrong with him?"

Upon examination of the young boy, Dave had noticed several bruises on his body, and even two cigarette burns on his neck that were parallel to each other, separated by a centimeter. Dave absently touched a similar scar on his own back. It was one of like many of the scars that Dave had all over his body. And he remembered when each one was made, he remembered the fear, the begging, the pain, the crying...he could remember, even when he didn't want to. Unfortunately, Dave knew first hand where those burns were from, now all he had to do was get Daniel to admit it. He turned back to Carter, motioning for him to join him outside of the trauma room.

"I don't like the look of this, Carter," he said, staring at Daniel through the glass of the door. "I don't like it at all."

"What do you think happened?" Carter asked, following his gaze, watching as the younger resident rubbed at a specific spot on his back. His hand dropped to his side, and he inhaled several times before finally letting out a sneeze. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just allergic to cats," Dave said. He was allergic to any type of furry animal that shed, and he hadn't taken his allergy medicine this morning because he usually never came in contact with them in the ER. He had kept his distance from the cat, asking that a nurse remove it from the boy's arms, and then only touching it with gloved hands, holding it at an arm's length, leaving the nurses to believe that he was afraid of it.

They had teased him about it, saying comments such as "It's only a cat, Malucci, not a mountain lion," and "It's black cats that are bad luck, Doctor Malucci, you don't have to be afraid of the gray ones." He had immediately silenced them: "Can we try to stop making fun of me for one second and treat the goddamned patient?" The seriousness of the situation did not allow him to be able to joke, and he was obviously upset that they were able to. They had been perplexed by his sullen behavior and irritability, which was so unlike Dave. They had only been joking, he didn't have to snap at them.

"I think he got into a fight with his old man," Dave said suddenly.

"What makes you think that?" Carter asked, looking at the junior resident with puzzlement.

Dave glanced at Trauma Two before he turned to Carter again. "Did you see the bruises on that kid? The scars on his neck? You don't get that from falling down the stairs. Some of those bruises are already yellow around the edges, which means that they're healing and already days old."

"What should we do?" That was Carter, always being logical. Dave had just wanted to impale Daniel's father with his own IV pole when he woke up, immediately jumping to the irrational answer to the problem. He would only land in jail for that, and it wouldn't be the first time he ended up there because of a rash decision and a bad temper. But that wouldn't help Daniel, and he had to get the boy to talk or the abuse would never stop. When he didn't answer right away: "Dave?"

There was only one thing *to* do. "I'm going to talk to him."

"Dave, wait," Carter said, taking him by the arm before he could get back inside the trauma room. Dave looked at him. "Maybe you should let me do it...I mean...the kid's already scared into silence. If you say the wrong thing..." He trailed off, allowing the statement to hang. "And lets face it, you're not known for being sensitive and tactful. This is going to take some...finesse."

"I think you should let me handle this," Dave replied sharply, clearly insulted.

"I didn't mean it like that," Carter said, wishing he had inherited the gift of gab from some family member or another. He had never had a way with words when it came to friends. Patients, however, he could do. "I just think that I would be better at getting him to open up, that's all."

"It doesn't matter," Dave said, obviously still pissed at Carter's poor opinion of him. He glanced into Trauma One. "What matters is helping that kid...so give it a shot."

Carter started to move into Trauma One when he turned back to Dave, who was standing there with his arms crossed over his chest. "You aren't coming?"

"I think I'll watch the master from here," he replied coldly. Carter nodded and then walked into the trauma room. Dave watched as he sat down on the stool in front of the boy, who pulled the cat closer to him. Carter said something, Daniel didn't reply. It went on like this for a few minutes, and then Daniel finally muttered something. Dave could easily guess what it was: I fell down the stairs.

Dave knew he could get this kid to talk, if only Carter would let him try. If only people took him more seriously, if only people would think more of him. He could help that kid, he knew he could.

He looked down as Carter stood and exited Trauma One. Dave looked up at him expectantly, but Carter only shrugged.

"I couldn't get him to say anything," Carter replied. "I'm going to have to call down a child psyche and see if that'll work."

"Let me take a shot at it," Dave asked, making eye contact with Carter.

"If I couldn't get him to talk, what makes you think you can?" he challenged.

"I know I can," Dave said firmly. He glanced at the little boy, and then back to Carter with a sigh. "I know no one here thinks much of me, but I can get that kid to talk," he said, pointing to Daniel.

Carter sighed, unable to believe what he was about to say. "Go ahead. Give it a try. If it doesn't work and you make things worse, you'll have to answer to Weaver when the child psyche complains."

Dave moved back inside Truama One, a skeptical Carter following close behind. The kid hadn't said anything besides "I fell down the stairs" all night, as if he were going to say anything to Dave - a person who wasn't exactly the king of couth? He crossed his arms over his chest and stood nearby, and watched as Dave sat down on a stool in front of the kid, who had his legs hung over the side of the gurney, stroking his content cat. Dave almost let out a sneeze but managed to suppress it.

"I never had a cat before," Dave said, risking a severe case of hives - very *itchy* hives - by reaching out to stroke its head. He glanced at the boy to gauge his reaction when he said: "My father wouldn't let me have one." Daniel looked up at Dave for a minute, trying not to look interested, and turned back to the cat. Dave noticed his Muppet pajamas. "I always wanted a cat. I would've named him Kermit, after my favorite frog."

"I like Kermit," the little boy mumbled shyly, but didn't look at Dave. Carter raised his eyebrows, wondering why Dave hadn't become a pediatrician. He was good with kids, and he always had been willing to take them in the ER when Cleo or another pedes doctor was swamped. Carter had to admit, Dave was pretty good with kids. It was adults he sucked with.

Dave smiled warmly at the boy, still stroking the cat. He found himself scratching at his neck. Just great. He was getting a hive. Soon he'd be covered in them, and that wasn't very attractive. He knew, he had made the mistake of purchasing a cat for one of his girlfriends in college, but her parents wouldn't let her keep it, so he had been stuck taking care of it until he found it a home. During that weekend with the cat, he had been covered in hives, sneezing uncontrollably, his nose congested with fluid for weeks.

"Your dad must be nice," Dave said carefully, making sure he thought about each word before he said anything. If he was going to get Daniel to admit to anything, he had to do it right, or everything would go to shit and the poor kid would be stuck with an abusive father his whole childhood. "I mean, he's gotta be to let you have a cat of your own."

"He isn't really that nice," the boy said quietly. "A lot of people think he is, but he isn't..."

"Why isn't he?"

"He just isn't," Daniel said as he absently rubbed the scar on his neck. Dave watched him for a minute, thinking of the next tactic for his inquiry.

"Does your dad ever hit you?" Dave asked softly. Daniel only picked up the cat and held it in his arms, and Dave could tell that he wouldn't admit to anything unless he did something, and he had to do it quick or his chance would be gone. He glanced at Carter over his shoulder, and Carter thought that he saw something in Dave's eyes - shame, fear...pain? Dave looked back to the boy, making a split-second decision. "You know...my dad wasn't all that nice either. He used to hit me a lot, and sometimes I'd even have to come into the ER, just like you. One day, this nice lady - she was nurse - she said that if I told her about my dad, she could make him stop. She could make the pain go away." He paused. Doctor and patient made eye contact. "I can make the pain go away, Daniel. I can make him stop...but only if you tell me what happened."

"I love my dad," Daniel choked out, clutching the cat, as he had been when he first came in.

"I loved my dad too," Dave managed, his voice portraying more emotion than he hoped it would. He didn't dare steal a glance at Carter. He swallowed hard. "But sometimes parents do things that they don't mean to, to their children. It doesn't mean that you have get hurt and it doesn't mean that you don't love your Dad if you tell me. Please, Daniel, just tell me."

"He only does it because I'm bad," Daniel said. Images flashed in Dave's head, but he quickly pushed them to the back of his mind. He had thought the same thing when he was a child, and he wouldn't let this boy be deceived into thinking the same thing. "I try not to be bad, but I can't help it...I'm sorry. Can I go with my dad now?"

"Daniel..." Dave said, pleading with the boy with his eyes. "A good parent never lays a hand on their child, no matter how bad the child is. There's no excuse for that. Your dad needs help, I can get him help." Pause. "What happened, Daniel?"

"He calls it a snakebite," he said, and Dave exchanged glances with Carter, who had moved to the side of the gurney, both looking equally quizzical. The boy saw the confused doctor in front of him, and he indicated the two scars on his neck. Dave heard himself audibly gasp, and heard Carter say: "Oh, God..."

"He only did it once before, when I was really bad. It hurt...I didn't want him to do it again...I had to push him down the stairs. It was the only way I could get away from him. I tripped and fell down too...I didn't mean to hurt him. I was so bad. If I had just been good, none of this would've ever happened. I'm sorry. If I had let him give me the snakebite it would have been okay, but now I'm in really big trouble." Daniel looked at Dave with fear and pain. "Maybe if you give me a snakebite my dad won't be mad and I can go home."

"No, Daniel."

"Please! I want to go home!"

"Daniel, we..." Dave started, but could barely manage to form a few words, much less a sentence. He took a minute to compose his thoughts, and then looked back up to the kid. "Daniel, we can't let him do this to you anymore. He has to get help. It's our job to get him that help."

"You won't let me go home?" he asked pitifully, tears coming to his eyes and streaming down his face, meshing with the cat's fur.

"I..." Dave looked to Carter for help with desperation in his eyes, unable to keep himself together.

"Daniel," Carter said, quickly assessing the situation. What the hell was going on here? Dave was falling apart, he looked like he was about to have an emotional breakdown. His hands were visibly shaking, beads of perspiration were beginning to form over his brow, and he had a wild, desperate look in his eyes. Carter quickly moved in front of Daniel and behind the sitting Dave. "I'm sorry," he said softly, "but we can't let you go home."

"But you said that you would help me!" Daniel sobbed, clutching onto Dave's arms. "You promised. You're a liar!"

That was all it took to send Dave fleeing from the room, unable to take the stifling feeling that suddenly came over him, as if he were suddenly claustrophobic. Carter turned to the retreating doctor in surprise, calling out his name and even stepping out into the hallway as the younger resident ran down the hallway and out of the ER. He couldn't go after him because he had to take care of Daniel and make sure he understood that they were doing this in his best interest, no matter how loathsome it may be.

"Is he okay?" the little boy asked, and Carter looked to see him holding the cat, standing by his side. Carter reached down and stroked the boy's blonde hair, and the boy leaned against Carter's leg.

"He'll be fine," Carter hoped, and then led the boy back inside the trauma room.

-------------------------------

And it's losing me

-------------------------------

"Where'd Daniel go?" Dave asked Haleh as he stepped inside Truama One. He sniffled, wiping his nose with the sleeve of his long-sleeved tee shirt. He hoped that he didn't look like that much of a mess, though he supposed he had to after spending the last half-hour crying on the roof of the hospital in the freezing cold. If anyone asked, he would just say it was his allergies. It scared Dave how easily and quickly the lies came to him. It was a useful tool in his childhood and now he was using them again.

"Who?" Haleh asked, taking down the used bag of saline from the IV pole.

"My patient. His name was Daniel," Dave said, looking around the room, trying to find him. He looked under the empty bed, then back up at Haleh. "Daniel Tucker. Little boy. About this tall? Blonde hair? Where did he go?"

"I don't know," Haleh answered briskly, tossing him a disgusted look. Something was seriously wrong with Doctor Malucci today, Haleh thought, but didn't allow herself to read too much into it. "I don't keep track of your patients. I think that's your job, Doctor."

Dave sighed, looking away, and then something caught his eye. There was Daniel, in Trauma Two, trying to pull the handcuffs off of his unconscious father. Dave quickly moved into Truama Two, pushing the doors open with one fluid movement, and the boy looked up at him with desperation in his eyes.

"Daniel..." Dave started. He walked towards the boy, watching as his pitifully tried to get the handcuffs off of his father, who was due to wake up any moment. He had been unconscious for several hours due to a concussion, and Doctor Weaver said that he would be awake soon. Dave didn't want to be in here when he woke up - he was afraid of what he might do or say to Daniel's father, he knew from experience that he said the wrong thing, he could make it worse for Daniel. "Daniel, you have to stay inside your room."

"Why?" he asked as Dave took his hand and tried to lead him back into Truama One. The boy resisted, grabbing the chain of the cuffs and holding tightly. Jesus. Dave didn't know if he could do this much longer. He would've traded this case totally off to Carter if he didn't feel some sort of connection with the boy - which he did. It was almost as if he needed to make sure Daniel would be okay. "Why can't I stay with my dad? And why is he locked up like that? He didn't do anything wrong, Doctor Dave. It was my fault. I told you I was bad."

Dave let out a silent sigh. He tried to think of several ways to explain to this child what his father had done wrong, but he couldn't manage to find any that would make him understand - hell, Dave didn't understand it either. The abuse was something that happened often, most likely, and something that Daniel was misled into believing that happened to all bad children.

"Daniel, you can't stay with your dad," he said, struggling desperately to get this kid out of the room. There was a stirring from the bed, and Dave quickly bent down to pick the boy up. "Come on, Daniel. Back to your room."

"Wait!" Daniel screamed, twisting in Dave's arms to get out of them. Dave slung the kid over his shoulder, but a swift kick to the ribs and he was out of his grasp and clutching the bed, where his father was quickly regaining consciousness. Dave now let out a frustrated sigh. "Look, Doctor Dave, he's waking up! Now you can make him all better and we can go home! You and the other doctor can help him like you said!"

"We can't do that," Dave said firmly. Daniel's father, Jack Tucker, pulled at the cuffs, slightly disoriented by his surroundings. Dave couldn't help but comment snidely. "Nice to see you awake, Mister Tucker."

"What the hell happened?" he asked, glancing around the room quizzically, then at the boy and back to Dave.

"You were placed under arrest," Dave said, picking up the chart and idly looking through it. He was unable to conceal his anger towards the man, but in reality he didn't really want to. It was men like him that made the world a sick place. Who knew how this would scar Daniel? God knows how much Dave's own abuse had scarred him.

"Why?" he asked, shock clearly visible on his face. He glanced at his child, who quickly cast his eyes towards the floor, shifting from one foot to another. Jack looked back to Dave, almost startled by the hatred in the younger man's eyes.

"I think you know why," he replied evenly. He set his jaw, holding out his hand to Daniel. "Come on, Daniel. We have to get back to your room."

"I don't want to go," the little boy replied quietly, still not daring eye contact with anyone.

"You don't have much of a choice," Dave replied more coldly than he had intended. He immediately cast an apologetic glace at Daniel when the boy flinched, but Daniel wasn't looking at him.

"Don't talk to my son like that," Jack snapped harshly from his bed. Dave scoffed, a bitter smile on his face. "What the hell are you smirking at? You have no right to speak to my boy like that. Where the hell is a doctor?"

"You're looking at one," Dave replied, and Jack seemed startled that the young man standing in front of him was a doctor. He didn't have the appearance of a doctor; he had assumed that he was a nurse or an orderly or something of that sort - anything but a doctor. Dave turned to Daniel, holding out his hand again, this time trying not to sound so harsh. "Daniel. Let's go. Please? We have to go back to your room. Now."

"I want to stay with my dad!" he whined, stomping his foot for added effect. He pulled at his father's handcuffs again.

"You can't," Dave said, beginning to get desperate. His gaze shifted to the trauma room doors. Maybe he should get a nurse to do this...

"Why?" the boy asked, shouting now and getting increasingly angry with the doctor.

"Because you can't," Dave replied shortly, then let out a sigh as Daniel sat down on the floor and burst into tears. "Hey...kid..."

"I want another doctor in here!" Jack yelled, loud enough so that he could be heard outside of the room. He glanced to Dave with the most sinister look in his eyes that the junior resident had ever seen. "You're upsetting my son, and you're being awfully rude to me! Don't think your superior isn't going to hear about this! I want another doctor!"

"How dare I be rude to you!" Dave exclaimed incredulously, throwing his hands up in the air. "You want another doctor? Fine. I'll get you one. But they're just going to tell you the same thing I am. You're under arrest for child abuse."

"I'd never hurt my child."

"Then how do you explain the bruises? How do you explain the burns?" Dave said, his anger increasing as well. He moved over to Daniel and bent down and picked him up in a swift movement, holding the crying boy firmly so the couldn't get away again. "Have a nice day, Mister Tucker. In fact, why don't you have a nice life? As nice as you can have in prison."

"Where are you going with my son?!" he yelled, though his efforts to get out of the handcuffs and to Dave and his son were fruitless. Dave stormed out of the trauma room with Daniel screaming and sobbing in his arms, and the young doctor felt tears come to his own eyes. "Get back here with my son! Get back here!"

And even after Dave had deposited Daniel to a nurse, even after he had left the ER, even after he was on the elevators, heading back up to the roof to take another break, even after he had decided to forget that kid and hand off the case to someone more capable, someone like Carter, he could still hear Jack's voice echoing in his head.

-------------------------------

Where have all the merrymakers gone?

-------------------------------

"Where the hell is Doctor Malucci?" Kerry asked as she crutched angrily down the hallway. She stopped at admin, narrowing her eyes at the doctors and clerks, silently demanding an answer.

"I saw him go that way," Frank answered brusquely. She swore one of these days she was going to kill that desk clerk.

"Which way?" Kerry snapped, turning to him. He was indicating the elevators. "Is he up on the roof again? My God, he was just up there about forty-five minutes ago!"

She walked to the elevators and quickly got on, hitting the floor to get onto the roof several times in a row as if it would make the elevator go faster. She waited rather impatiently as the doors closed, and then taped her fingers on her crutch as she rode up. Dave was really going to get it. When she got her hands on him she swore she was going to use her crutch for an unintended use.

-------------------------------

Some people will surprise you

With the real depth of feeling

And others still may shock, shock, shock you

With all that they're revealing

-------------------------------

Dave was on the roof, sitting on the edge of the hospital building, shivering in the cold night air, his legs hanging over, contemplating. What if he just jumped? Would anyone care? Certainly no one at work, but he knew his mother would miss him. He sniffled, wiping his nose hastily with his sleeve, then glanced at his hand, which was swollen but looked much better than that hole he had punched into the wall in his anger. He stared out over the city, wishing to be out there right now instead of stuck in his own personal Hell here at the hospital. But then again, he'd have to return sooner or later. The events of the city would only mask his problems for so long. He'd always have to come back to them...unless he just..."fell"...

He sighed. That kid had really gotten to him. At least now he was Carter's problem and not his. When he was a child, he could remember always being someone else's problem - his mother's problem or his father's problem...did he really want that for the kid? He remembered promising himself that he would never do that to a child, whether it was someone else's or his own. He could hear himself in his head: "It doesn't matter. What matters is helping this kid." He was such a hypocrite, such a fucking hypocrite. He sneered at himself and shook his head in disgust.

He was just like his father.

-------------------------------

But one thing's sure

There's always more

Information then you asked for

Ask for this

-------------------------------

The elevator doors opened, and Kerry began taking the stairs to the roof. She could already feel the chill of the night biting at her bad knee. She angrily pushed the door open to the roof, and saw Dave sitting at the edge of the building. She clearly startled him as he turned to face her.

She was surprised as well; he was visibly upset. She could tell by his tear-stained face that he had obviously been crying, and he looked worn by the day's events. They stayed there, staring at each other for a moment before Dave quickly stood and moved towards the staircase, and Kerry immediately wished there weren't two exits off of the roof. She moved towards him, trying to catch him, but it was too late. He was already inside and already gone.

She stopped and let out a sigh, looking away from the staircase door and to the cityscape. She glanced at the spot where Dave had just been sitting. What could be so trying today that would cause him to get so upset? She had never seen him show any other type of emotion besides anger, and his crying surprised her. Dave was just as much of a person as she was. Go figure.

-------------------------------

Just enough knowledge to know

I don't know anything, anything, anything

I don't know, no

But it likes what I like

That's how I like it

-------------------------------

"Hey, Dave," he heard from next to him. He glanced up from the soda machine in Chairs and to his right, where Kerry was standing, leaning lightly on her crutch. He often wondered why she had it, remembered when he had inquired about it, then remembered that it was also none of his business but knew that he could speculate. Sometimes he considered that she didn't even need it, that maybe it was just something to scare the residents with - specifically him. He found it oddly humorous. "Is everything...okay?"

"Yeah, Chief," he replied, offering her a half-hearted smile that he hoped looked genuine. He didn't dare eye contact after their interaction on the roof earlier. He hoped that she had forgotten about it already, that maybe she didn't even care enough to think about it, but it seemed as if she did remember, and maybe she did care. But he also knew that he wasn't doing too well pretending everything was okay. Was his dip in disposition noticeable? He indicated the machine. "Stupid thing ate my change."

A swift hit with her crutch, and two cans of soda dispensed from the machine. Slightly stunned, Dave bent down and picked them up, handing one to her, still not looking at her.

"You just have to show it who's boss," she said matter-of-factly, and then smiled. "Sort of like with residents." She frowned a bit when he didn't respond her joke.

"Thanks," he said after a brief pause, then quickly started to walk away from her while opening his Coke.

"Dave..." she called. Shit. It appeared that she wasn't going to let him get away that easily. He turned, lifting the can to his lips and taking a sip, and they both noticed that his hand was shaking, but he hoped that she hadn't noticed how swollen his right hand was. He quickly put his hands to his sides. "Are you sure everything's okay? And I think you should get your hand looked at..."

"Positive," he replied. "And my hand's fine." What was her sudden interest in his mood? Was it affecting his work? Kerry nodded, and Dave quickly turned, moving in a direction he'd taken only once before for this specific reason.

He moved towards the drug lock-up.

He was hoping that he'd be alone when he got there, but to his dismay, Luka was inside, searching the cabinets for something, and he only noticed the older man once he was inside the small room. He quickly turned to leave, hoping the attending hadn't seen him.

"Dave." Double shit. He steeled himself and turned, tossing Luka a strained smile. Up until now, he'd managed to evade the attending. "Do you need something?"

"Uh...no," he replied after some contemplation. He started to turn again, but Luka stopped him once more.

"Are you sure?" he asked, finally locating the morphine for his arm dislocation in Curtain Area Three. He faced Dave, raising his eyebrows. "You must've come in here for something." Luka could tell that Dave was very upset, and he wanted to know why.

"Uh..." he stammered. Leave. Turn and leave. Just leave. But he couldn't. His feet were glued to the floor. He felt like he had been caught red-handed, and he hadn't even done anything yet. "I have this patient...she's pretty depressed, so I made an appointment with Doctor DeRaad, but the earliest he had was tomorrow afternoon. I was going to give her some Klonipin to hold her over until then."

Luka and Dave made eye contact. He knew his excuse sounded lame, but it was plausible. However, the only patient he had right now was a head lac in Two, and he hoped that Luka hadn't decided to memorize the patient board before coming in here.

"Here's the key." Dave silently let out the breath he had been holding. "Make sure you lock up and give it back to me when you're finished in here."

"Thanks," Dave said, and Luka handed Dave the key, the attending's hand lingering longer on Dave's than it should have. Dave quickly put distance between the two. Luka didn't take the hint and leave, like Dave was hoping that he would. Instead, he stayed where he was, staring Dave down. "Is there something you want, Luka?"

"Yes," he replied, leaning against the counter, which Dave interpreted as a signal that he wasn't planning on leaving any time soon. "I told you I wanted to speak with you."

"Right," Dave remembered, cursing himself. He should've just left when he had the chance. He took a deep breath, knowing what Luka wanted to speak of. Luka wanted to talk about *them*, even though there was no *them* - and Dave tried to convince himself that there never had been.

"For the sake of our patients," he started, sensing Dave's uneasiness, which was apparent as the younger man crossed his arms, uncrossed them, re-crossed them again, then shifted his weight to his other foot. "For the sake of our patients," he said again, "I think we need to learn how to work together."

"I totally agree," he replied, picking up an empty bottle of Morphine that had been left haphazardly on the counter of the drug lockup. He played with the empty bottle in his hand, hoping that by moving them around quite a bit Luka wouldn't notice how badly they were shaking. Glancing up, he saw Luka watching his hands, realized it wasn't working, somehow managed to drop the bottle. There was a pause, and then he let out a nervous laugh. "Sorry...I'm sort of on over-drive today. I think I've had too much coffee, it's making me shaky..."

No one made a move for the broken glass; both stayed exactly where they were. The air tasted stale to Dave suddenly, as if this room had been closed off and hadn't been aired out for a while. He felt almost as if he were suffocating, but managed to calm his nerves quickly, knowing that it was all in his head.

"Are you all right, Dave?" Luka asked softly. "Your hand is swollen and you seem upset." Dave could feel Luka's eyes on him, but didn't want to look up and into them because of what he might see: that Luka actually cared. Upon seeing that, he knew that he would allow Luka to do things that they had done on many occasions, allow Luka to do things that he would later regret - just like every time. Wrapped up in that thought, he forgot to reply. "Dave?"

"I'm fine," he replied quickly, crossing his arms again to hide his shaking hands. Quickly glancing at Luka before fixing his eyes on the shattered glass, he saw that the attending did not look convinced. "Really. It's just...long night."

"Does it have anything to do with that trauma that came in earlier?" Luka asked. If Dave thought that Luka didn't notice the way Dave acted around every similar case that came into the ER, he was surely wrong. Luka saw the look in his eyes, the far away, pained look in his eyes every time he was faced with the same situation in the ER. And now, Dave looked up at Luka, his expression showing his surprise, but his eyes displaying that same look. He had never been on that level of intimacy where he could inquire about it, and now he wished he had.

Dave let out a sigh, not looking at Luka for a long time. "It just..." He pursed his lips, clenching his jaw. He finally looked up into Luka's eyes again, the desperation in them so intense Luka couldn't look away. "Sometimes..."

He never got to finish.

"Luka!" The attending could see Kerry from where he was standing, but Dave had to turn to see her. She had startled the both of them. "Trauma! Now! And call housekeeping to clean up this mess!"

She left as suddenly as she had appeared, and when Luka looked back to Dave, the resident would not look at him. Luka wished Dave would look at him. But the moment was gone, and now Dave was back to being jumpy and nervous, each action timid and reflecting his frame of mind, which was probably just as scattered as the glass on the floor.

"I'd better go," Luka stated. Dave merely nodded, still not making eye contact. "But...I'd like to talk with you..."

"No," Dave replied without thinking, shaking his head. And then when he realized what he had said: "I mean...no. No."

"Dave..."

"You'd better go," the junior resident said, quickly cutting him off before the attending could get out anything more. Luka moved out of the drug lock-up, but not before glancing dejectedly at Dave once more.

When he was alone, Dave closed the door quietly, then searched the shelf for the Klonipin, which was a type of benzodiazipine. He knew that it was common for residents and medical students to take something during a long and/or hard shift, but Dave had managed to stay away from drugs...until Shelly.

He remembered Shelley, the patient that he would never forget even if he tried. She had come in after a car accident with her father, and soon just a few bumps and bruises turned into something more. He and Doctor Finch, who had been the two ER physicians working on her, discovered that her father had raped her. That had really hit home for him, and after she had left, he still couldn't get his mind off of it. Long ago, he had sworn that if he became a doctor, he would never abuse the privilege of being able to get drugs easily, but he knew he wouldn't be able to get through that shift without taking something, so he had snuck into the drug lock-up. He hadn't liked the feeling he had gotten after taking the pills, and had felt so guilty about taking the amphetamines he had sworn never to take them again.

But now here he was, running from his problems once again.

He managed to convince himself that he just needed something to help him relax, to stead his mood. If everyone else could self-medicate, why couldn't he? He was a resident after all, and he knew all about drugs. It wouldn't be like he was using coke or heroin. He wouldn't be endangering any of his patients by taking something to take the edge off.

He found the benzodiazipines right next to the amphetamines. He screwed open the bottle and shook two Klonipins into his hand. He stared at them for a moment, unsure of his decision. But he needed it, he didn't want it. And there wasn't anything wrong with needing; if he'd wanted it it'd be a whole different story. Quickly, Dave popped one of the pills into his mouth and swallowed, keeping the other one incase he needed it later.

Later in the shift, Dave felt himself dragging and was thankful that he hadn't taken both of the Klonipins. His whole body was screaming for him to lay down somewhere and sleep. Damn it, he thought. The Klonopin was knocking him off his feet. When there was a lull in the action of the ER, Dave took the chance to walk back into the drug lock up to return the extra Klonopin; he definitely didn't need a second one.

"Hey, Dave," he heard from behind him. Dave quickly closed his hand into a fist and crossed his arms, then turned to see Carter standing behind him. Once Dave turned towards him, Carter frowned, his expression turning to concern. "Do you feel okay? You look tired, more than anything. Maybe you should take a nap."

"I'm fine," Dave said. "What do you need?"

"Just wanted to get some morphine," he said. "I left the bottle on the counter when that trauma came in...I was just coming back to get it."

"You mean that bottle?" Dave asked, indicating the glass on the floor. Carter sighed, then glanced up at Dave, who was studying the glass. Carter had never seen someone whose whole *body* looked tired. Dave seemed as if he were going to collapse any second from sleep deprivation. Dave glanced up, catching Carter watching him. "Grab another one while I've got the key. Kovac gave it to me so I could grab some Klonipin for one of my patients. I was supposed to give it back to him but I forgot."

"Thanks," Carter said as he grabbed some off of the shelf. He gave Dave a reassuring smile, but wasn't sure if that was going to cheer up the younger resident. At least he'd tried. Once he had the bottle, Carter moved towards the door. He turned back, and odd feeling surrounding him. "Are you sure you're okay, Dave?"

Dave gave the best smile he could right now. "Positive. See you later."

Carter nodded, then left the room. Dave glanced at his open palm, the pill sitting there, but soon returned it to the correct bottle. He stood there, looking at he various pills at his disposal when he paused. Carter had mentioned that he was tired, and now that he had Dave could feel the day's events catching up to him. Before he could stop himself, he took the Dexedrine off the shelf, knowing he would soon be wide-awake again, and only briefly hesitated before he popped it into his mouth.

Bottoms up.

-------------------------------

Something so personal

At least they should be

Or is it too much

Much to ask you just to

-------------------------------

"Hey, Carter," Dave said as he bounded a corner to catch up to the senior resident and take him by surprise. Carter turned, raising his eyebrows questioningly at the younger man, trying to balance the bundle of charts under his arms. Why did he insist on having to tell Kerry about the organization of the Admin desk? Now he was stuck organizing it, including charts. "That kid that came in earlier...Daniel Tucker...is he still here?"

"The child abuse kid?" Carter asked absently as a chart started slipping from his grasp. "Yeah...DCFS didn't come yet."

"Do you still have his chart?" Dave asked. Carter glanced at the bunch in his arms, and started to look through them, still holding the falling chart precariously in his hand. It was around here somewhere...

"Shit!" Carter said as the chart slipped from his grasp and to the floor. Dave reflexively tried to catch it, but fumbled and it hit the floor. Then a rushing nurse knocked into Carter, causing all the charts to fall and scatter to the floor. Both men stared at the charts for a minute. "Shit."

Carter bent down to pick them up, and Dave squatted down next to him to help. A chart caught his eye, and Carter reached out and picked it up and held it out to Dave.

"Here's Daniel's chart," he reported, and Dave took it from them. Carter couldn't help but notice the tremor in Dave's hands. When the charts were collected and back in Carter's hands, he said: "Thanks."

"No problem," Dave said inattentively as he started flipping through the various pages of the chart. Carter watched him curiously, wondering exactly what it was he was looking for, then moved to peer over his shoulder. Dave looked up suddenly and smiled brightly at Carter, who could immediately see through the bravado. "Thanks."

The junior resident started to walk away, chart in hand.

"I thought you didn't want the case...?" Carter said, his words curling into a question.

Dave shrugged, still smiling. "Changed my mind."

Carter watched as Dave walked to Curtain Area 3, where Daniel now was since they had moved him. His gait had been smooth and steady, but now it faltered as he neared the door, and he even stopped suddenly outside the room. He glanced at Carter, who didn't look away but kept his worried expression, and Dave turned back to the door and opened it, stepping inside and plastering on a smile.

Where the hell had he gotten the sudden burst of energy? Carter thought. Must be too much coffee. But there was something else about Dave too that didn't sit well with Carter; his coordination was off and he seemed to be slurring his words...strange.

-------------------------------

Maintain a little, maintain a little, maintain a little,

Maintain a little, maintain a little, maintain a little

-------------------------------

"Hey, kiddo," Dave said brightly as he entered Daniel's room. Daniel glanced up from his cat, which he was stroking gently on the bed, but looked back down, his face expressionless. Dave stepped further inside the room, approaching the boy's bed, unsure of what to do now. He waited for Daniel to say something, hoping the boy would say something as he awkwardly reached out and stroked the cat gently.

"What's going to happen to him?" Daniel asked, looking at the cat but not at Dave.

"Who?" he asked rather stupidly.

"My dad," the little boy said.

"Uh..." Dave said, unsure of how to answer him. He debated over whether or not to tell the truth, but he knew Daniel probably already knew it. After all, Dave had blurted it out when he had dragged the boy from the Trauma room where his father was. "He's going to go to jail."

"What's going to happen to *me*?" he asked quietly.

Dave sat down on the bed next to the cat, which was between him and Daniel. "You're going to go to a foster home and live with another family," he said softly, "and no one's going to hurt you anymore."

There was a long silence while both stroked the cat, which was purring loudly. Dave stopped petting the cat and began to read over the chart, which was probably about the tenth time he had done it. He could practically recite it by now, but his nerves were getting the best of him and he had to do something besides just sit there. The cat rubbed against Dave's arm, trying to get Dave to pet it more. Instead, Dave scratched furiously at another hive, a new one that had formed on his neck.

"What about my cat?" Daniel asked, looking up at Dave with his big blue eyes. "Can he come with me?"

Dave shook his head sadly. "I don't think so."

"Can you come with me?"

His heart broke. "No, I have to stay here."

Another long silence, and Dave wished that he could do something for this boy. Then again, he wished that he could do something for all the children that came in here that were just like Daniel - all the ones that were just like him.

"Then can you do me a favor, Doctor Dave?" the little boy asked quietly.

Dave smiled. "Sure thing, kiddo."

"Can you make sure that my cat gets a good home?"

"You bet," he said, glad that he could at least do something for this child. He smiled, playfully punching the kid in the arm, then reaching out to tickle him, and Daniel laughed uncontrollably as Dave found a sensitive area.

There was a sudden knock at the door, breaking the two from their moment of fun, and Gladys the social worker entered the room, standing with two crutches under her arms and two other adults behind her that Dave recognized from the local group home. Dave stood next to Daniel, who cast his eyes to the ground as soon as he realized what was happening.

"Hey, kiddo," Dave said, leaning down to he could be at eyelevel with the kid. Daniel looked up at Dave with sadness in his eyes. "These people are going to take good care of you." He tossed the kid a half-hearted smile as he ran his fingers through Daniel's hair. On impulse, he kissed the boy's forehead. Dave then stood, unsure of what to say or do next. Should he bid farewell? He decided on silence as the boy was picked up by one of the two from the group home. Dave could see that he was afraid as tears started to run down the boy's face. Maybe silence wasn't the way to go. "Hey. You gotta be brave, all right? You'll be okay."

"Okay," he replied quietly, sniffling, but more tears came. The boy suddenly looked up at Dave. "Please come with me, Doctor Dave?"

Dave could feel the eyes watching him, anticipating his answer. He glanced around self-consciously, then looked back to the boy. "I told you I can't," he said softly, but followed the three out the door and into the hallway. "But I can walk you to the car."

"Okay," he said again. Dave followed them out to the ambulance bay, where a taxi was waiting for them. The two people stepped inside the taxi and the boy went in with them. Dave stood at the open door, ready to close it when he heard Daniel gasp audibly, and when he glanced at him he saw that he was sobbing.

"Daniel..."

"I don't want to go," he said, looking up at Dave as if the doctor could do something. "I want to stay with my dad. Please, please, don't make me go. I'll be good! I'll be good, Doctor Dave!" he pleaded as he grabbed the bottom of Dave's scrub top.

"I'm sorry," he said, shaking his head ruefully. "I wish it didn't have to be like this, Daniel. I'm sorry."

"Please, Doctor Dave," he pleaded with everything he had. Dave opened his mouth to say something, but no words would come; he couldn't find his voice. He managed to remove Daniel's hands and close the taxi door, standing in the cold as the taxi drove away, and even still standing there when it was gone, when it was long gone.

"I'm sorry," he whispered to no one but himself.

-------------------------------

Take the cynical saint

To the stake

And you're burning

-------------------------------

Dave sat on the ledge outside in the ambulance bay, watching the different cars go by, lost in his own thoughts. Now that he could think clearly again because the pills had worn off, he had contemplated taking another two, but had quickly decided against it. He didn't need to get addicted to drugs. The ER was in a lull; no ambulances were in the bay, no *people* were in the bay. It seemed like he was the only person in the world right now, and he wished it were true. It would solve a lot of problems for everyone. He wouldn't be in their lives, and they wouldn't be in his.

He picked up his coffee from Doc's and inhaled the steam, hoping the scent would clear his mind. He took a sip and placed it back down next to him, and then continued his watch, making sure the moon was still there and the stars were still shining.

"Hey," he heard from next to him, and then slightly jumped in surprise. He turned to see Carter, who had managed to sneak up on him. He hadn't been that lost in thought, had he? Dave concluded that he was just focused. "Sorry," Carter apologized for startling him.

Carter wrapped his jacket tighter around himself, feeling a slight chill in the autumn air. He was just about ready to go home when he had seen the younger resident sitting outside by himself, and he wondered what he was doing out here. Then he realized that Daniel was just taken into DCFS custody ten minutes ago. Obviously, Dave was making sure that he was okay. Carter looked down at Dave and noticed that he was shivering.

"I think I should be the one apologizing," Dave said, reaching under his scrub top to scratch at a hive. He only had a few, thank God, but they were still itchy and annoying as hell. At least he wasn't sneezing anymore, though his nose was still clogged. He looked at Carter. "You aren't the one that ran out in the middle of a trauma."

"I wouldn't exactly call it 'the middle of a trauma'," Carter said, trying to be reassuring.

"Yeah, but I dumped that case on you. That wasn't right."

"You finished the case, Dave," Carter said softly. "You know, you handled that case better than I ever could've. I was impressed. You should be too."

Dave shook his head at himself and took another sip of his coffee. Carter noticed that Dave's hands were shaking, and wondered if it was from the cold or from something else. Carter studied him as the resident looked up at the stars. He had a nice facial bone structure, full lips, hair that was always tousled, and he was all-around handsome. Sometimes he wished he had Dave's looks or the same suave way about him that he did with women, and would even go as far to say that he could even be a little envious of the man. Once or twice he wondered what it was like to be him, what it was like to be David Malucci. After that trauma, he wasn't so sure he wanted to know. "Was it true? What you said to Daniel, I mean?"

Dave nodded after a moment. "Most of it," he replied cryptically.

"What part wasn't?" Carter asked, hoping he wasn't pushing it too far. Sometimes he couldn't help the things that came out of his mouth, his curiosity always getting the best of him. There was a pause, and Carter thought Dave wasn't going to answer for a moment.

"The part about me telling someone," he stated quietly, examining his coffee. They sat in silence for a moment, and Dave changed the subject before it became uncomfortable. "Hey, are we still on for that beer?"

"I don't know..." Carter answered, still not fond of the idea. Weighing out his options, he found a nice, warm bed more tempting than a beer with one of his coworkers.

"It's just one beer," Dave said, his eye brows raised, a glint in his eye, indicating that it was going to be more than just one beer. Probably a whole night of beers, in fact.

"After today's shift, I just wanted to sleep," Carter said, standing. Dave stood as well.

"No problem, maybe some other time," Dave said softly as he made his way back to the ER. His head was hung and he looked totally defeated.

If today was rough for him, Carter thought, how was it for Dave? Carter also couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong with Dave, something more than his past and more than what happened in the trauma.

"Dave!" Carter called. The junior resident turned expectantly. "One beer, then I'm going home to sleep."

"You don't have to worry about that," Dave said innocently. "By the time I'm done with you, you'll be too tired to do *anything* but sleep."

Carter looked away and broke into a grin. "Fine," he said, giving in. "Just *one* beer. That's all, and then I'm going home. Got it?"

"Yes, mom," he replied, smirking. "I'll see you later then." He paused. "Carter...could you maybe...keep it a secret, what I said in the trauma today?"

"Sure," he replied, as if the idea of telling everyone was incredulous. "I wasn't going to say anything anyway."

"Thanks."

Dave turned to go back to the ER, but stopped and turned back, hesitating. Carter watched him, waiting for him to do or say something. He seemed to think about it for a moment, and then looked at Carter. Dave took a deep breath to settle his nerves. He was going to do it. He was going to do it right now, he kept telling himself. Don't chicken out, you ass. Don't chicken out. Dave didn't know if it was still the drugs giving him the courage or what, but he knew that it was going to happen right now or it never would.

Carter raised his eyebrows as if to ask him what he wanted. Dave looked away with a smile, and then suddenly reached out and took Carter's face in his hands and kissed him on the lips. Dave pulled away from the kiss as abruptly as he had started it, and Carter looked at him, shock written all over his face, and Dave couldn't help but grin at his expression.

"See you at nine," Dave said as he turned and started back towards the ER, his mood more elated than it had been in a long time.

"Right," Carter managed, still in shock, but Dave was already inside the ER. He turned and glanced behind him, then realized that he was alone. He touched his fingers to his lips, wondering just how he could make his heart stop pounding like that.

-------------------------------

This radio, this radio silence, silence

This radio, this radio silence, silence

This radio, this radio, radio silence

This radio, this radio, radio silence

-------------------------------
Chapter Three - Here Tonight by The She Devil
------------------------------- Chapter Three: Here, Tonight -------------------------------

Are you going to live your life wondering

Standing in the back, looking around?

Are you going to waste your time thinking

How you've grown up, how you've missed out?

-------------------------------

"And I am outta here!" Dave said, signing off his last chart with a flourish. It was a little after nine - nine-ten to be exact, Dave thought as he glanced at the clock above the admin desk - and he was all set and ready to leave. "Later, guys," he said to no one in particular. "*I* have a date."

"Yeah, right," Randi snorted, not glancing up from the computer she was working on. "With who? Carter?"

Dave grinned, but it vanished as soon as his ear picked up on a too familiar sound. Ambulance sirens. An ambulance was approaching - make that several ambulances. He caught Abby's eye, and they glanced at the clock-out at the same moment, and then suddenly sprinted for it. They were both off at nine, and no way in hell was either going to stay for this trauma if they could help it.

They raced to the end of the hall, and Abby actually pushed him to get there first. He stumbled but did not fall, and quickly regained his balance. They reached the clock-out at the same time, and he wrapped an arm around her and picked her up, holding her away from it.

"Let go!" she yelled as he managed to use his other hand to grab his punch-out card. She kicked him in the shin, and he let her go in surprise with a yelp, falling right on his butt.

"Dave! Abby!" Weaver yelled, fast approaching, wearing a trauma gown and gloves.

Abby clocked out, and then turned to him with a snicker as he sat on the floor, rubbing his shin. "Ha. See you later, Dave."

"I had a date!" he yelled to her, and then a trauma gown was dropped on him. He pulled it off of his head and stood, brushing himself off. Great. Just fucking great. If there was any chance that Carter was waiting out there, it had totally just vanished in a puff of smoke.

-------------------------------

Things are never going to be the way you want

Where's it going to get you acting serious?

Things are never going to be quite what you want

Even at twenty-five, you got to start sometime

-------------------------------

Dave clocked out with a sigh, holding his jacket in the crook of his elbow and his backpack tossed over his shoulder. It was twelve midnight, and he had finally finished the trauma. He had been elbow deep in a poor girl's chest for almost two hours, trying to save her life by pumping her heart himself, but it wouldn't fill with blood because of a hole underneath. By the time he and his trauma partner, Dr. Corday, had figured that out, it had been too late. She had crashed and almost immediately gone asystole.

All for nothing, he thought bitterly. And all because of a stupid drunk who couldn't think enough to take a cab home from the bar he'd been to, now a girl was dead. The only fatality of the whole pileup. And of course, with Dave's luck he had to have been the one to get the trauma case. It'd be really nice right now, he thought, if he had someone to go home to and be there for him after rough days like this one when he felt so alone.

He pulled his jacket on, preparing for the cold - and not to mention lonely - ride home on his bike, and walked to the ER doors, bidding goodnight to the nightshift. He walked outside, feeling the terribly bitter wind brushing against his face harshly. Mother Nature wasn't going to be very kind tonight; he was going to have a frozen ass by the time he got home.

He turned to the bike rack, and was startled when he saw that his blue bicycle wasn't there. Where the hell had it gone? Oh, this was *so* just his day. He sighed, scanning the ambulance bay for the person who might've stolen his precious ride home when he noticed a black Jeep Wrangler parked across the street in front of Doc Magoo's.

And he was just plain surprised when he saw that his precious ride home was hitched to the back of it.

Then he smiled as he crossed the ambulance bay.

-------------------------------

I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go

And all I need is just to hear a song I know

I want to always feel like part of this was mine

I want to fall in love tonight

-------------------------------

Carter sat in his Jeep, looking at the different people sitting inside Doc Magoo's, almost studying them. They seemed so normal; he wondered what kind of abnormalities they possessed. He wondered what kind of problems they faced when they arrived to work, when they arrived home from work. Carter could see that that female nurse obviously flirting with the male doctor sitting across from her had a wedding ring on; he could see it glinting in the light. And he could see when the male doctor moved his hands while he talked, he didn't have one on. Was she happily married? Was she a naturally flirty person? He knew a girl in high school like that once.

He sighed, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as a Jimmy Eat World song came onto the local rock station that he always listened to. He glanced at the clock. It was already a few minutes after twelve. He had seen that whole herd of ambulances come, and knew that Dave had probably been forced to stay. He could've left when he had the chance.

So why was he still here, sitting in the freezing cold Jeep, with Dave Malucci's bike hitched to the back of it?

A sudden tap on the window startled him out of his thoughts. No turning back now. He unlocked the car, and the door opened and Dave hopped in.

Should he say something? Should he mention the kiss? Should he let Dave say something first? He decided on silence. If Dave wanted to say something, somehow Carter knew he would. Dave wasn't one to keep his mouth shut.

Carter started his Jeep and put it into the right gear, and began to pull out of his parking space, not daring to say a word, hoping that Dave would break the silence before it became too uncomfortable. He soon did. "You've changed."

-------------------------------

Are you going to live your life

Standing in the back looking around?

Are you going to waste your time?

Got to make a move or you'll miss out

-------------------------------

Carter suddenly stopped short. He looked at the younger resident. "What?"

"You've changed," he said, looking at him with a smile. Carter only returned his smile with a black stare. "Your clothes. You've changed your clothes."

"Oh!" Carter said, feeling absolutely foolish. "Yeah, I didn't want to go to a bar in a suit..." He started onto the road again, wondering what exactly he had been thinking when Dave had told him that he had changed. He decided not to ponder on it, that he didn't really want to right now. "Do you want to stop by your place and change before you go?"

He seemed to think for a moment. "Nah," he decided, then grinned. "Scrubs might impress the ladies."

Boy, Carter thought, this was going to be one interesting night.

-------------------------------

Someone's going to ask you what it's all about

Stick around nostalgia won't let you down

Someone's going to ask you what it's all about

What are you going to have to say for yourself?

-------------------------------

Dave sat back leisurely in his seat at a table inside the bar, cradling his beer lazily in his left hand, his legs spread and his eyes wandering over the crowd of bodies gathered inside, some dancing on the floor, some drinking at the bar, some eating at tables, some flirting, some keeping to themselves. This bar was known for harboring every type of person in Chicago: from rich to poor, young to old, radical to average, straight to gay, beautiful to ugly, foreign to native.

Just his type of bar.

Stealing a glance at his companion, he could tell that Carter was comfortable here. Almost everyone was because it was a mixed crowd where everyone went to escape, sometimes from the outside world and sometimes from themselves. You could be anyone you wanted to be here - anyone at all - and nobody cared.

"You know those things will kill you," Dave said as Carter lit a cigarette. Dave hadn't known that the senior resident smoked, but just because you were a doctor and knew all of the risks didn't mean that you'd actually listen to them. He knew that he didn't.

"You'd make an excellent doctor," Carter said with a grin, and then took in a slow drag. He held out the pack to Dave. "Would you like one?"

Dave shook his head as he took a drink, and then swallowed the cheap beer. "I don't smoke. Used to, but not anymore. I quit before I came to Chicago."

"When did you start?" Carter asked. The conversation during the night had been very easy, and even surprisingly enjoyable. Dave had turned out to be quite an interesting guy, with hobbies ranging from boxing to mountain biking to skydiving. Carter hadn't done any of those things - and didn't intend to - but he had his share of stories to tell. He was genuinely having a good time tonight, which was something that rarely happened. He had been so wrapped up in his career and his family that he never took the time to have a guy's night out, and it had been exactly what he needed.

"Back in Grenada," Dave said after giving it some thought. He caught a leggy blonde's eye, who was sitting on the other side of the bar, and she smiled at him flirtatiously. Uninterested, he smiled back politely, and turned away from her, facing Carter now. He seemed to think for a moment. "You want to go someplace more private?"

-------------------------------

I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go

And all I need is just to hear a song I know

I want to always feel like part of this was mine

I want to fall in love tonight

-------------------------------

"What do you mean?" Carter asked cautiously, his eyes narrowing. He glanced at the blonde who had smiled at Dave. On any other night Carter would've thought that Dave would've jumped to take her back to his place, but tonight was ending up to be an unusual night, so he wasn't surprised. Maybe it was the full moon, Carter thought. Or maybe I've been sucked into an alternate universe.

"It's too crowded in here," Dave said casually. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet, placing down a ten on the table to cover for the beers that he'd consumed so far. Carter had just drunk sodas, and Dave had wondered why, but knew it wasn't his business to ask. It was too personal a question, and Dave wasn't sure if they were even *friends*. "Let's go back to my place for some real beer." He noticed Carter's wary glance, so he grinned and tried a joke to ease the guy up. "That is - unless you're willing to take David Malucci to the Carter family mansion. I'm sure your folks would just love me."

Pause. "What kind of beer do you have?"

Dave laughed. "That's what I thought."

-------------------------------

Crimson and clover

Over and over

Crimson and clover

Over and over

-------------------------------

Dave opened the two Heinekens, tossed the two bottle caps into the garbage in the corner of the kitchen, and placed one beer in front of Carter. Both sat down at the table across from each other, and Carter took the chance to look around the apartment. There was a living room that was attached to the kitchen nook, and then a hallway that he presumed led to the bedroom and bathroom. The apartment was fairly neat though it was small and visibly worn. It was nicer than what he had expected, even though he didn't know exactly what he had been expecting. Probably a bachelor pad: take-out boxes strewn about, clothes all over the place, a pack of condoms on the end table.

"I don't drink," Carter said, pushing the beer towards Dave. He hoped that Dave didn't ask why, he really did. He didn't like to explain why, he was very ashamed of why. Plus, telling a friend you knew for years that you were a drug addict was very awkward, how was he going to tell a newfound one? "You can have it."

"Okay," Dave just said, then smiled. "I think I have Coke. Do you like Coke? I might have Sprite..."

"Coke's fine," Carter said, and in moments a glass of Coke was sitting in front of him, the extra beer sitting in front of Dave.

-------------------------------

Our house in the middle of the street

Why did we ever meet?

You starred in my rock and roll fantasy

Don't tell me, don't let it start

Why did we ever part?

Kick-start my rock and roll heart

-------------------------------

They kept up conversation, the topic turning to saves in the ER. Carter spoke of his first time using the defibrillators way back when he was in medical school in Cook County General Hospital, and soon the story lead up to the first time Jing-Mei had used the defibrillators.

"She shocked you?!!" Dave asked, laughing so hard tears came to his eyes. He doubled over, his face buried in one hand, his other hand smacking the table. He looked up at Carter, wiping his eyes. "She...I can't believe it. Jing-Mei? She shocked you??"

"It wasn't that funny," Carter grumbled, remembering the day well. He'd woken up a few hours later in an exam room, thinking she'd given him a rectal with Haleh's supervision while he was out cold, and he decided not to tell Dave that, knowing the younger resident would tease him relentlessly for days.

"I'm *so* going to rip on Jing-Mei for that next time I see her," Dave said, still laughing a little. He looked up at Carter, calm now, but soon lost his composure, shaking because he was laughing so hard. Carter rolled his eyes, but found himself smiling at the memory. He had to admit, it *was* kind of funny. Dave finally managed to compose himself, and stay composed. "My first time wasn't nearly as..." - a small snicker - "drastic. I was monitoring this old guy who had end stage lung cancer, and he just crashed. The resident that had me as her student let me use the paddles on him, and he came back with one jolt. It was the most awesome experience I ever had in my life. Just...bringing this guy back to life."

"He didn't have a DNR?" Carter asked. He had felt similar the first time he had saved a patient in the ER; knowing you had the ability to bring someone back from the dead was almost surreal.

"His family didn't want to let him go," Dave stated almost sadly. "They signed a DNR after the first time he crashed. He died later that night." Dave took another sip from the bottle in front of him, and Carter followed suit, watching Dave as he was lost in thought. Dave smiled wryly. "I think that's when I started smoking."

Carter couldn't help but laugh. He shook his head, keeping his smile as he stood to get more Coke from the fridge. He realized Dave had finished both of his beers. Damn. The guy could really put them away.

"Want another?" Carter asked, opening the refrigerator door.

"Sure, why not?"

-------------------------------

I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go

So come on, Davey, sing me something that I know

I want to always feel like part of this was mine

I want to fall in love tonight (here, tonight)

-------------------------------

Carter pushed some orange juice and milk out of the way, but didn't find the beer. He searched the next shelf, which contained mustard, mayonnaise, bread, and other things such as that, but didn't find it there either. He turned to look at the resident, who was sitting at the table, slightly amused.

"Where do you keep the beer?" Carter asked, turning around to look in the fridge again.

"Here, I'll get it," Dave said from behind him. He felt Dave place his hands on his waist, and Carter stood, whirling around to face him. Dave held up his hands with a grin at Carter's expression. "Just trying to get past you."

Dave leaned over into the fridge and pulled out another beer. Keeping that smile, he closed the refrigerator and faced Carter. What am I *doing* here? Carter thought to himself. Why am I standing inside another guy's kitchen who had just kissed me hours earlier? What the hell is *wrong* with me?

"You okay?" Dave asked at Carter's slightly apprehensive look.

-------------------------------

I want to fall in love tonight

(Here, tonight)

-------------------------------

"Dave..." he started. Dave opened his beer, but placed it on the counter, putting the cap on the counter as well. Carter leaned against the counter, and picked up the cap and started fidgeting with it, fingering it in his hands. "In the parking lot earlier...when you..."

"When I kissed you?" Dave asked as if it were an everyday occurrence, as if every day David Malucci kissed John Carter.

"Right," Carter said, avoiding eye contact. He stammered for a moment, unsure of what he was going to say. Why did I have to bring it up? John asked himself. Couldn't I have just kept my mouth shut? Now what am I supposed to say? "Why?"

"Why do you think?" Dave asked, and only then did Carter realize that he had moved closer to him - much closer - so close that the distance between them was almost nothing. The junior resident raised his lashes to look up at the senior resident when he didn't reply. "It's because I like you Carter. I like you a lot."

"I didn't know that you..." Carter started, suddenly unable to find his voice, unable to form the right words, let alone a complete sentence. Why was he suddenly so nervous? His heart was pounding so hard he was almost afraid that Dave was going to be able to hear it.

"Swung that way?" Dave asked with a grin. He thought for a moment. "It's not something that comes up in conversation often. Sort of like a moment thing." He looked up at Carter, then smiled. Dave could see that the guy was acting so nervous his next statement had to be true: "I know you've never...swung that way. So I guess the question is: what are you doing here?"

-------------------------------

I want to always feel like part of this was mine

-------------------------------

"I don't know..." Carter answered quietly. What *was* he still doing here?

"I think you do," Dave said, his smile growing softer. He reached up with his right hand and touched Carter's cheek gently, affectionately. To Carter's surprise, he didn't pull away. To Carter's surprise, he found himself reaching out and touching Dave's face gently, affectionately. I wished I'd had beer, he thought. I wished I'd had beer so I could be drunk, that way he'd have an excuse for this. Why else would he be standing in David Malucci's apartment, standing impossibly close to David Malucci, touching David Malucci's face, being so turned on by David Malucci?

Faces drawing closer, mouths coming together, eyes closing, lips touching, hands roaming, bodies moving, and oh God, magic happening.

They turned, their bodies entwined and their lips still locked in a rough kiss, and Dave and Carter slammed into the refrigerator, rattling it slightly. Hands were pulling at clothing, running through hair, running over body parts.

Dave suddenly pulled away when he realized where exactly this was going. He looked into Carter's eyes. He hadn't felt this way about someone since Luka, and he sure as hell didn't want this to end up the same way that had. He needed to be sure that this wasn't going to hurt either of them.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked, a little afraid that the answer was going to be one he didn't want to hear. "We don't have to do anything that you don't want to."

"I want to," Carter said softly. He hadn't felt this way for a long time, and it felt good to be wrapped up in nothing but pure passion and the moment. No emotions involved, nothing but physical attraction...just sex. He knew that this was exactly what he needed right now. And he couldn't say that he wasn't a bit curious about this side of Dave - about this side of *himself*. "Believe me, Dave, I want to."

"Then what are we waiting for?" He smiled, a naughty smile that was returned by his companion. "Let's take this to the bedroom."

-------------------------------

I want to fall in love tonight

-------------------------------
Chapter Four - Walk The Sky by The She Devil
------------------------------- Chapter Four: Walk the Sky -------------------------------

Skin as my shield

But who's to save me from inside?

Retched as if

To procreate for genocide

-------------------------------

He was running. Running where? Running upstairs. Running up stairs? Yes. He was running up stairs. Running up the stairs to get...to get where? To his room. It was safe in his room. There was no danger in his room. It was safe. There was no danger. But...why was he running at all? To get away...to get away from something. But to get away from what or whom? Was someone chasing him? Yes. Someone was chasing him. Why? He couldn't remember. He couldn't remember...but that didn't really matter. All he knew was that he had to run up the stairs to get to his room because it was safe there, and apparently, he was in danger now.

No matter how fast he ran, no matter how long, he seemed to stay in the same place. He wasn't going anywhere except nowhere, and he had to get somewhere fast, or else whoever it was that was chasing him was going to catch him.

Oh God. He could hear who was chasing him, he could hear HIM. He could hear HIS heavy footsteps on the stairs behind him, he could hear HIS ragged breath, and he could hear that HE was getting closer.

And he knew that it was too late when he could feel HIS breath on the back of his neck. He knew that it was too late when HE grabbed him by the hair and yanked him downwards, causing him to lose his balance and fall. Then suddenly, HE was gone, and all that was left were the stairs, though it seemed now that all of those stairs he had climbed had caught up with him, and were now an endless stream of stairs. But he knew there was a floor because he could feel it coming as he fell, he could feel the end coming, he could feel *his* end coming.

Drunken laughter floated through the air as a sharp pain ripped through him. But it wasn't from the floor, he hadn't hit the floor yet. What was it from? Had he been struck? No...he'd been...God, what was happening? The pain was too excruciating to handle. But where did it come from? He couldn't figure it out, he couldn't figure any of it out. When was the floor coming? God, when was the floor coming? He need the floor, because with the floor came his end, and he wanted it to end, please, God, just let it end, let the pain end!

And with the floor the end did come. But not of him, of his dream.

-------------------------------

See how we tried to fly

Wings are our kryptonite

-------------------------------

David Malucci opened his eyes, allowing them to adjust to the dim glow that came with sunrise. It was one of those rare times when he didn't startle awake like he usually did, but he knew it was only because of the many beers he had consumed last night. He had been hoping that in his intoxicated state he would have had no dreams at all; Dave knew it wasn't the best way to avoid the nightmares, but it worked. Much to his dismay, he *had* dreamt last night, and although that dream had been frightening, it was far better than usual the dreams, which weren't really dreams at all, but nightmares.

Sometimes he would awaken with nothing but the memories of the fear and anger and hatred he had felt during his dreams. Sometimes he would awake with the images so vivid that he could actually still see them in front of him, and would have to take a few moments of screaming and fighting until he realized that nothing was there, that it had just been a dream.

He didn't like going to sleep, it was one of the reasons why he got so little of it. He was always up until odd hours of the morning, only finally going to bed when his body didn't allow him to stay up any longer.

Memories of last night came to him, slowly but surely. He was almost afraid to turn around in fear that it had all been a fantasy, something that his imagination had created, and maybe something that he wanted to happen so badly he actually believed it had. Perhaps he was finally losing his mind. Or perhaps the drugs and alcohol were causing him to hallucinate. He hoped that that wasn't the case, but he couldn't will himself to look, so he lay there, facing the wall with his back turned to the other side of the bed.

If it wasn't his imagination, then last night, he and John Carter had gone out to a bar, came back to his apartment, and had soon come into his room, their lips locked in a kiss and their hands roaming each other's bodies. Soon clothes had been discarded, both of them undressing each other as their kiss never faltered. When they were both down to their boxers, Dave had led Carter to the bed. He sat down on the bed, and Carter stood between his legs and in front of his growing erection. Dave reached out and took Carter's hands, as if to pull him down onto the bed with him, when the senior resident caught sight of the tent in the younger man's fabric. Then he had suddenly stepped back, looking away as if he were almost ashamed.

"What's wrong?" Dave asked, slightly confused, sitting on the edge of the bed, trying to make Carter make eye contact with him.

"I...I don't think I can do this," Carter said, not allowing himself to look at Dave. How could he have been so stupid? He had been so wrapped up in that moment he had mentioned earlier that he hadn't thought about where this was eventually going to go. Well, sure, he knew where it was going to go, but he hadn't actually thought about it. And he wasn't ready for it. "I'm sorry, Dave. I really wanted to do this, but I can't..." There was mutual hesitation. "If you want me to leave, then I'll leave."

"Hey...Carter," Dave said, taking the older resident's arm in his hand as he started to bend down and pick up his clothes, which were strewn about the floor. Carter stood upright, but still wouldn't make eye contact. "I told you: we don't have to do anything that you don't want to. If you just want to get in bed and cuddle, then that's fine, man."

"Can we do that?" he asked, finally looking Dave in his eyes. Dave smiled softly and nodded. He'd actually only been kidding when he'd said that, but if Carter wanted to, then that would be just fine with him. "You wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not," he replied, keeping his smile. He wanted to show Carter that he wasn't just in this for the sex, that he was in it for everything. Dave had this need to be needed, and wanted desperately to feel - no not just feel, but be close to someone. Dave nodded towards the bed, which was looking mighty inviting, especially since he'd be sharing it with the one person that he'd had the hugest crush on since they'd run to the construction site together and worked with one another to do a blind intubation and save a life. "Come on."

Carter dropped his clothes and Dave took his hand, leading him to the bed. They crawled under the covers and finally wound up cuddling, at first coming together awkwardly but soon enough embracing. Carter lay with his head on Dave's chest, wrapped in the junior resident's arms, both resting comfortably under the linens.

"Dave?" Carter asked tentatively, though Dave could hear the curiousness in his voice. "When did you first realize that you were...gay?"

"First of all..." Dave said, a smile playing on his lips. He played with Carter's brown hair, twirling it about his fingers, then stroking his head gently. "First of all, I'm not gay. That would just be a sin against womankind. And I first realized that I was attracted to guys too when I was in high school, probably freshmen year. At first I was sort of in denial about it, I didn't really want it to be that way. I didn't want to be different, you know? But then...I guess I kind of embraced it, though I kept it to myself."

"How did you...come out to all of your friends?" Carter asked, feeling as content as a purring kitty as Dave stroked his head. He placed his hand on Dave's chest, slowly and softly trailing it down the side of his torso, feeling his ribs and muscles. Dave flinched slightly.

"That tickles, Carter."

Carter smiled and stopped, letting his hand rest on the side of Dave's stomach. "Sorry. And try calling me John."

"Okay...John. Now how did I come out?" Dave asked himself, thinking back to high school. He smiled at the memory of his first boyfriend. It had sure been an experience - one that he wouldn't forget ever. They had been together for almost a year, and they had really been in love. "I was a sophomore. His name was Steven Drake and he was a junior. I'd had the hugest crush on him for years, and I'd heard some rumors that he was gay. I'd never talked with him because we ran with different crowds. I had my group of friends and he had his."

"What did you do?" Carter asked, intrigued by the whole story.

"I didn't do anything. *He* talked to *me*." Dave smiled, remembering the day in the cafeteria at high school.

-------------------------------

I wanted to feel this

I'm thinking of trying to try

Cause if I get my ins

I'd walk the sky

-------------------------------

"Look who it is..." Miranda whispered, nudging Dave in the ribs. Dave tossed her a look. As if he hadn't noticed that the guy he had had the *biggest* crush on forever was standing in front of him in line. She nodded towards Steven. "So..."

"Yeah?" Dave asked. Like he was just going to hit on Steven Drake in the middle of the cafeteria? Miranda suddenly "tripped" over her own feet and knocked into him, causing him to bump into Steven. He quickly regained his own balance, then, looking away abashedly, he apologized. "Sorry."

"It's all right," Steven replied, a grin on his face. Dave reached for an apple, but Steven grabbed for it and handed it to him.

Dave smiled. "Thanks."

"Malucci, right?" he asked. Dave stood there in shocked silence. Steven Drake, the junior he'd been head-over-heels for, for about two years now, knew his name? He suddenly couldn't find his voice. It's not like he would've been able to tell him if he was Malucci or not even if he could find it - he couldn't even remember his name.

Another nudge from his best friend. "Yes," he replied quickly. Steven smiled at his awkwardness. This sophomore had obviously never done this before. But Steven had noticed the way Dave looked at him when he thought he wasn't looking, and he was flattered, really. This sophomore was actually kinda cute. "Call me Dave."

"I'm Steven," he said, keeping his smile. Steven reached the cashier and paid for his food, and Dave wasn't that delighted that their encounter with each other was going to be over so quickly. Now they would go their separate ways, and probably never speak again. His chance was over, gone like fallen leaf caught in the wind or some other really bad metaphor. He was pleasantly surprised when Steven waited for him. "Hey, uh...you want to sit with me today?"

"Sure," he answered, then glanced at Miranda. She smiled slyly, silently wishing him luck. "Where should we sit?"

Miranda knew Dave better than he probably knew himself. They'd been friends since childhood, and with her living on his street, it made it easier for them to stay together throughout the years. She'd discovered that he was bisexual about three years ago, and discovered that he'd been totally in love with Steven about two years ago. She was glad that something was finally happening.

Dave turned away from Miranda, then moved toward an empty table in a secluded part of the cafeteria. He sat down next to Steven, and was surprised that the conversation flowed easily. He had always assumed that he and Steven were very different people, but he discovered that they had similar likes and dislikes. Both enjoyed hockey, though only Dave played for the high school, both of their favorite classes were science, which they were in together (which explained why it was Dave's favorite class) because Steven had failed it last year, and both enjoyed reading, though Steven was more into science fiction while Dave was into realistic fiction.

The bell rang all too soon.

"Uh..." Dave said, looking down with a sheepish smile. He looked back up to Steven, whose knowing smile showed that he was almost amused. Stutter, then frustrated breath. God, he was so terrible at this. "What're you doing this Friday?"

Another knowing smile. "Nothing. But *you* have a hockey game."

"Right," Dave remembered. Jesus, he was so embarrassed. He was just talking about how much he loved hockey and now he didn't even remember their big game was on Friday. He wanted to crawl under a rock and stay there. "What about -"

"What about tonight?" Steven asked as the next period of lunch started filing in. They weren't even getting up from their table yet. Dave knew he'd be late to class, but that was the last thing on his mind right now.

"I can't go out during the week," Dave said, rubbing the nape of his neck. Steven tossed him a questioning look. "Strict dad..."

"Then Saturday?" he tried.

"Sure. Saturday's good," Dave replied. They stood from their table, grabbing their trays and dumping them on the way out.

"See you in bio, Dave," Steven replied, his hand brushing over Dave's. Dave didn't let himself jerk in surprise. He stayed cool, he had to stay cool.

"Right," he said, wishing today wasn't Wednesday, but Friday at the least. "See you in bio."

-------------------------------

All that is ill

And all I fight to keep inside

Rips me until

The point of breaking's no surprise

-------------------------------

"All I remember thinking is how Saturday was so far away," Dave said, gently tracing his fingers over John's neck. "But Saturday did come, and we ended up going to a movie. Of course, we didn't end up actually *watching* the movie, if you know what I mean."

-------------------------------

See how we tried to fly

Wings are our kryptonite

-------------------------------

Dave stood in the theater lobby, his hands stuffed into his jacket pockets as he glanced around the place. There was an arcade next to him, where kids of various ages were playing games, mostly kids around his age, this being a regular hangout for a lot of them in his high school. He recognized a girl from his school playing some sort of car racing game with her boyfriend. Dave couldn't help but think about how...normal that was, and here he was waiting for his *male* date to show up.

It was strange to think of this as a date, because Dave had never been on a date with a guy before. He wondered what that would be like. Would they do stuff usual people did on dates, like hold hands and flirt and...kiss? Were they going to kiss? Dave knew he was good at kissing girls - at least no one had ever complained before - but he'd never kissed a guy before. What if he was bad at it? What if he totally messed the whole date up because he sucked at kissing a guy? He'd never be able to live with himself after that, he'd swear off guys forever.

Dave's eyes shifted to a couple playing tonsil hockey near the photo booth. His eyes shifted to the floor. He was suddenly having second thoughts about this whole "coming out" thing. He was sure he was prepared for this, prepared to be seen on a date with a guy, but now he wasn't so sure. He knew that he was still the same guy he'd been before he discovered he was bisexual, but what if *they* didn't know that? What if people started talking, calling him names or shunning him just because he was bisexual? What if he got beat up? Dave knew he could handle himself, but what if his friends on the hockey team ganged up on him? What would his father say? Oh, God. He didn't even want to think about *that*. He wasn't sure if he was ready for this.

"Hey, Dave," he heard from next to him. He turned to see Steven standing before him, looking as magnificent as ever. God, the guy was hot. What the hell was Dave doing with a stud like him? They headed towards the ticket line together, the movie "Batman" on the agenda for the night. Dave suddenly found himself wondering if people knew that Steven was gay. He had, what made him think that others didn't? What if they saw them together and assumed something - assumed the right thing: that they were on a date together? "I'm glad you showed up. On the phone you didn't sound so sure that you were going to come."

"I wasn't sure if I could get away," Dave replied with a shrug, flashing a winning smile in hopes that Steven wouldn't ask any more questions. He was relieved when the older boy didn't. They reached the end of the line, and Steven asked for two tickets, then pulled money out of his wallet to pay for it. "I've got money."

"Don't worry about it," Steven said, waving Dave's hand away before the younger boy could reach into his back pocket and pull out his wallet. He cast a smile at Dave as he gave the clerk the money. "The whole night's on me."

"Okay," Dave replied slowly, almost reluctantly. Okay, so now he was officially on a date. But on any date that he'd ever been on, he'd always been the gentlemen and paid for his date...but now *he* was the date and *he* was being paid for. It was an odd feeling that he had right now, but yet it was a pleasant one. Dave stuffed his hands into his pockets once more as they moved towards the snack bar, but Dave's appetite was totally gone due to his nervousness and slight apprehension. He was almost sure if he ate anything he'd puke.

Fairly soon, they were sitting inside the dark theater, off to the side, away from the few people that were in the theater that night, watching Michael Keaton moving across the screen in a black cape and cowl, fighting the Joker's cronies to save Gotham City. Dave had wanted to see this movie, having always been a fan of the comic book character, but now that they were actually here, together, he couldn't concentrate on anything except Steven. The beautiful young man was sitting so close to him, the only thing separating them being the armrest. If Dave wanted - if Dave had the balls, actually - he could reach out and touch him.

Dave knew that if he'd been with a girl, he'd be a lot closer to her, so to speak. He'd be holding her hand or touching her. He would've kissed her already. They'd probably be engaged in a lip-lock right now. So why couldn't he do it now, when he was with a guy? He wished he could do it now...

Steven turned to look at Dave, and the sophomore was so surprised he couldn't look away. So they sat there, staring at each other, their faces illuminated by the movie screen, the shadows complimenting their facial bone structure. Steven reached out with one hand, and Dave watched with amazed eyes as it touched the side of his face. Then the hand led his face towards Steven's, and very soon their lips were very close to each other. Tentatively, with his heart pounding in his chest as if it were trying to get free from his ribcage, Dave touched his lips to Steven's. But the kiss was short-lived, Dave pulling away quickly and leaning back in his seat, his heart hammering even harder than it had before.

He had just kissed another guy.

And it felt good.

Then, abruptly, Dave turned back to Steven, cupped Steven's face in his hands, brought Steven's lips to his, and gave all he had to kiss Steven. And he made sure he kissed Steven like he hoped he had never been kissed before.

-------------------------------

I wanted to feel this

I'm thinking of trying to try

Cause if I get my ins

I'd walk the sky

-------------------------------

"Weren't you afraid someone would see you?" John asked, mild surprise in his tired voice.

"Well...not really," Dave replied. "I mean, it was pretty dark in the theater and we were pretty much by ourselves. And the point of outing yourself is to...I don't know...out yourself?"

"Oh," John replied, mostly because he couldn't figure out what else to say, really. They fell into contemplative silence, both lost in their own thoughts, though both weren't really thinking of anything in particular. John yawned while saying: "Did it work out between you two?"

"Yeah," Dave replied, though there was a hint of something in his voice that John couldn't quite figure out in his tired stupor.

"I'm glad..." he heard John softly say as the senior resident snuggled up to Dave even more, if that was even possible.

Dave smiled as he felt John's slow, even breath on his chest as the older resident fell asleep in his arms. He listened to John's breathing, then tried to breathe with him, but wasn't able to because he couldn't get his breath that shallow and slow.

Dave stared into the darkness, still stroking John's hair. This was everything he'd ever wanted, but he wondered how long it would last. As much as he hoped that it would be the same in the morning, Dave knew, from experience, that usually it wasn't. But John was different...he would understand and accept tonight, wouldn't he? And if not? Dave didn't want to think about that, he just wanted to be right here, right now, in the moment, in John's arms, in a warm bed, with a warm feeling. Finally, hours later, the junior resident had fallen asleep.

Now, as Dave stared at the gray wall in front of him, he finally mustered up the courage glance over his shoulder, and when he did, he could see John Carter lying in bed next to him, could see John Carter's back facing towards him, could see John Carter. He smiled, then turned fully and moved closer to him, wrapping his arms carefully around him so he wouldn't wake him. Closing his eyes with a content sigh, he once more was enveloped by sleep.

-------------------------------

I wanted to feel this

I'm thinking of trying to try

Cause if I get my ins

I'd walk the sky

-------------------------------

John opened his eyes slowly. He was in an unfamiliar environment, one that he couldn't even remotely recognize. The walls were a dull gray with a blue patterned border at the ceiling. The bed sheets he was surrounded by were a blue pattern as well, with some splashes of gray. He tried to move, but then realized that there were arms wrapped around his waist.

Wait. Last night...what had happened last night? The night slowly came to him in bits and pieces. He managed fit them all together like some outrageous jigsaw puzzle without all of the pieces included, and finally could remember what had happened.

He had slept with David Malucci.

Well, he hadn't *slept* with him, but he had slept with him. He was, right now, in David Malucci's apartment, with David Malucci sleeping behind him, wrapped up in David Malucci's arms, wasn't he?

The feeling of having Dave's strong arms wrapped around him was oddly pleasant. During his previous relationships - which had been all with women - he had always been the one to hold them in his arms. But now that he was the one with strong, comforting arms wrapped around him, he had to say he could get used to this.

What was he thinking? He was talking about another *man*. He was talking about Dave Malucci! Was he really prepared to form a relationship with a member of the same sex? Was it really what he wanted?

On the other hand, he was curious. What *would* a relationship with another man be like?

Jesus! What in God's name was *wrong* with him?! What would his Gamma think? What would his *parents* think! This certainly wouldn't blow over with them well at all. But did he really care about what they thought? God! He was talking about getting into a relationship with another man! With David Malucci! Not the most discreet man to ever walk the planet, that was for sure.

To take his mind off of it before it drove him insane, which, by far, it already had, he studied Dave's hands; one was lying on the bed, trapped underneath him, and the other hung limply over his side. He picked up the hand that was free and looked at the silver ring on it. There wasn't anything particularly special about it, it was just a plain band. He found himself wondering where Dave had gotten it and why. He turned Dave's hand, looking at his fingers and his palm, then lightly traced his lifeline with his thumb. Following it to his arm, he recognized a faint scar that he hadn't noticed before: one long slash going down his wrist. Upon inspection of his other wrist, he saw the same scar.

An alarm clock went off, startling him and causing him to flinch involuntarily, interrupting him from his thoughts. He felt Dave move in the bed, slamming an open palm over the clock to shut it off as abruptly as it had turned on. Then Dave wrapped the arm that he had taken away from John's waist back around him.

"You have work?" John asked, daring to break the silence with a simple question. Just don't ask about last night, he thought. Don't ask about last night. If Dave mentioned it, then he mentioned it. Otherwise, do *not* ask about last night.

"Yeah," Dave murmured in his barely-awake-half-asleep mode. He buried his head in the pillow, holding his breath as he did so, then turned onto his back and let his breath out. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes with his hand, he glanced at the clock. Six o'clock. Too early, too damn early. He closed his eyes again, slightly grimacing as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Fuck. I need an Aspirin."

"Maybe you shouldn't go to work," John suggested, scooting to the other side of the bed once he was out of Dave's arms to put distance between the two. "If you're not feeling well, I mean."

"I'll be fine. It's not the first time I've worked with a hangover," he said, sitting up and running his fingers through his hair. He scrubbed his face with his hands, then glanced back at John with a sleepy smile. "But thanks for caring."

John smiled back, almost unaware of it until it happened.

A gray ball of fluff jumped onto the bed, causing John to furrow his eyebrows before casting Dave a puzzling glance. He cocked an eyebrow as the cat nuzzled Dave's arm, obviously having taken a liking to him.

"You kept him?" John asked.

Dave shrugged, petting the cat. "I promised the kid I'd make sure he got a good home. I figure mine is as good as any."

"I thought you were allergic."

"I am," Dave replied, petting the cat and cooing gently to it. "They're called allergy pills. Right, Kermit?"

"Kermit?" John asked, raising both eyebrows now.

Dave looked away sheepishly. "I never got the furface's name. Why? Is Kermit stupid? Should I name him something like John Carter?"

"No. Kermit's fine. You just act like you never had a pet before."

"I never did," Dave replied, rising from the bed and picking up the cat in his arms. He held it up to his face and smiled at it, Dave cooing again. He placed it on the floor and turned to John again. "I told you, my old man never let me have any pets."

"Right," he remembered, feeling stupid for asking.

"I'm going to take a shower," Dave said as he moved to the adjoining bathroom, closing the door behind him. A few moments later, John heard the shower running. He contemplated leaving, just gathering his clothes and getting out of there as fast as possible, but then he thought better of it. He at least owed Dave an explanation for his behavior last night, which was something he could barely explain to himself, let alone Dave.

"Damn it," he breathed, pressing his palms to his eyes until he saw nothing but disconnected shapes in funny colors. He brought his hands down from his eyes, then let out another sigh. He had a feeling he'd be doing that a lot in the future. He turned in bed, getting a better look at the room. It was pretty dull now that he thought about it. There were a few spots on the wall near the ceiling that had peeling paint, and the carpet was permanently only a former color of what it once was after much use, probably from Dave and the tenants before him.

After about fifteen more minutes, Dave emerged into the room wearing only a small towel around his waist. John quickly looked at the ceiling, studying a small stain from water. He heard Dave shuffle through his closet, then pull out clothes.

He wouldn't look at him. John willed himself not to look at Dave. It wasn't right. You didn't just suddenly feel attracted to your *male* coworker! His alter ego screamed at him: you weren't yourself. That was one hell of an excuse. If Dave asked, he could just say he was wrapped up in that moment and pure passion he'd been talking about. As much as he knew it was going to kill Dave to hear that, his alter ego was going to win this one.

Now fully clothed, Dave stood next to the bed. He had tried to catch Carter checking him out, and was very dissatisfied that he hadn't done so. But the senior resident was probably just a little insecure about himself right now. Dave knew he was when he was faced with a similar situation.

"I gotta get to work now," Dave said. "I think I'm going to be late."

"You can take my Jeep if you'd like," John found himself saying, then immediately chastised himself.

"I can't drive," he replied, shaking his head.

"Why not?"

"I never learned how," he answered with a shrug. He looked away briefly, pursing his lips, then turned back to John, running his tongue over the front of his teeth, deciding what to say now. He suddenly sat down on the bed. Pursed lips again. Several more times. Now a deep breath. Then finally: "Listen...Ca - John..."

"Yeah?" he said before Dave had time to say anything more.

"Last night - "

"What about it?" John quickly interrupted, not daring eye contact.

Dave looked at him in surprise. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. He was supposed to ask him if he was okay with last night, and then John was supposed to say yes, that he was. And that he wanted to go all the way next time. Now he hadn't even had the chance to get past two words. This wasn't how it was supposed to go at all.

"Uh..." Dave looked away quickly, suddenly confused and utterly mortified. What had happened? Last night...last night what, Malucci? he asked himself. Last night you took your *straight* coworker to your apartment, and you almost fucked him. He backed out, and now he wants nothing to do with you. He probably thinks you're disgusting. What did you expect? John's not that kind of guy, idiot. He probably never wants to speak to you again. "I guess...I guess I'll, um..." He stood abruptly. "You can show yourself out. Just remember to lock the door behind you."

"No problem," John said, playing with the bed sheets. He wasn't into these types of relationships, but he almost felt somehow obligated to explain himself to Dave. Glancing up, he could see the clear hurt and astonishment in Dave's eyes, and now he knew he had to. "Dave...listen...I'm sorry about...I'm sorry if I led you to believe anything, but I'm not..."

"No, it's okay," Dave said, waving it off before he could finish. John got the feeling that this was something Dave was used to. Great. Now on top of having to deal with this whole inner conflict he was having with himself, he was also going to feel guilty. Dave looked up at John and smiled, but it soon faded. "I'll, uh...I'll see you...*Carter*."

Dave turned and grabbed his jacket off of the chair in front of his desk, and then picked up his bookbag off of the floor and quickly left the bedroom, closing the door rather roughly behind him.

Sorry if I led you to believe anything...

He scoffed. Yeah, so was he. But what had he been expecting? He had made that mistake with Luka, and now here he was, making that same mistake with John. At least he'd spent one night with the man of his dreams. And if that was all he could get, then he was at least thankful for that.

-------------------------------

I wanted to feel this

I'm thinking of trying to try

Cause if I get my ins

I'd walk the sky

-------------------------------
Chapter Five - So Lost by The She Devil
------------------------------- Chapter Five: So Lost -------------------------------

I stand around at American weddings

I stand around for family

At my best when I'm terrorist inside

At my best when it's on me

-------------------------------

"One-hundred-forty patients, twenty-seven admissions," John marveled while standing at Admin, his jacket and satchel hanging over his arms, as he was just about ready to leave. Today had been a very hectic shift, and he was glad that it was finally over. "That has to be a record."

John was especially glad because Dave was working tonight, and he was glad that they hadn't had to work the same shift since "the incident;" John wasn't sure if he would be able to face him yet. He could pretend that everything was the same, that nothing between them had changed, but that would be a pure lie. Things between them had changed, and they had changed drastically. One moment they had been coworkers and barely friends, the next they had been...they'd been something more.

At least they had been for a few hours. In those few hours, John couldn't explain what had happened to him. He tried to convince himself that he'd just been caught up in the moment, that that was all. And in that moment, he'd stupidly thought that maybe there was something between the two of them, that maybe he wanted there to be something between them, but then in the light of day it seemed to change again.

But now he was faced with one major dilemma. How was he supposed to act towards Dave? He didn't even know what to expect from the junior resident. Was he angry? Upset? Disappointed? Would he tell people? Maybe he wouldn't even work today. Maybe he'd take the day off or call in sick. But that'd only momentarily impede the inevitable. And Dave had seemed pissed when he'd left the apartment two days ago...

"I got a record for you," Frank said in his usual brusque manner, bringing John back to reality. "A guy in Exam four swallowed fifty hot dogs in nineteen minutes."

"Well that's not my problem," John said, a fake smile plastered on his face, "because my shift is over."

"John, did you take care of my kidney-stone patient?" he heard Abby ask as she moved towards the time clock, her card in her hand, her jacket and purse already with her. They were leaving together today, but would go to different homes. John suddenly found himself wondering where his feelings for Abby had gone. Since she and Luka had broken up last spring for reasons he couldn't understand, they'd constantly been seeing each other, both flirting and willing but neither taking the chance to ask for something more. Then yesterday, when Abby and he were walking on the pier together, she had taken the chance and told him she wanted something more, John had told her that he basically wasn't interested anymore. What the hell was up with that, he wondered to himself. It couldn't possibly be because of Dave, could it? "John?"

"I admitted him to Urology," he quickly answered. He silently thanked Abby for breaking him from his previous thoughts before he could answer his own question. And he wouldn't think about it now, he would *not* think about it. Another plastered smile. "Come on, Abby. One more minute in this place and I'll burst!"

"Give me the beer!" he heard Haleh bellow as Abby rushed past her to get to the clock out. John smiled to himself, slightly amused, as Haleh tried to get a six-pack of beer away from the ER's beloved Pablo. She looked up and called out to Abby, who only glibly brushed it aside. John knew that when Abby was off, she was *off*, and never let anyone tell her otherwise. John wished he had her sense of self-confidence sometimes. "He's drunk, combative, and he won't give up his beer! I need help!"

"I need to pee!" the man growled, still clutching his beer tightly, unwilling to give up probably the only thing that could make this homeless man's problems diminish, or so he thought. John used to know what it felt like to be dependant on something like that, and he knew now that it was the biggest mistake of his life. He hoped that he would never end up like that again, and vowed to help anyone who he thought might.

John turned towards Abby and saw her punch out with a grin, then quickly turned to see Haleh's reaction, who looked like she wanted to punch *Abby* out right now. He almost let out his first laugh in two days.

"That's gonna cost you," Haleh warned, as Abby joined John and the two of them began to leave the ER. John smiled and waved at Haleh, whose glare showed that Abby, indeed, was going to pay for what she'd just done. And maybe some of it would rub off on John for that fresh smile.

"Where's Mark?" John turned to see Elizabeth with her baby Ella strapped to her chest, obviously looking for her husband, but Abby just asked: "Who?"

"Mark Greene," Elizabeth snapped. "Your Attending."

"I think he quit," Abby said as she and John left the ER finally, and he shook his head as he smiled. Abby suddenly turned to him as they walked quickly away from the hospital. "You know you've only got about six weeks left of your residency, and you haven't asked Weaver about the Attending position for Dr. Chen yet."

"I know," was the only reply she received. He knew he'd promised Jing-Mei he'd talk to Weaver about it in hopes that his personal closeness with her would help the Asian doctor get the job, but he'd been procrastinating due to the fact that if his personal closeness did help Jing-Mei, then that would mean she didn't really deserve the job.

"Abby!" They turned to see Chuny, who was looking so desperate John knew if what she was about to ask was addressed to him he couldn't have said no. She indicated her patient, who was being wheeled in. "Please help me with this case?"

Abby, however, simply waved her off and refused to do it. God, right now, John was *so* wishing for her self-confidence. She and John soon parted company, but Abby decided to try one last time with: "Talk to Weaver!"

John paused momentarily, taking a deep breath, but then smiled. Oh, hell, what did he honestly have to lose? he asked himself as he turned to go back inside.

-------------------------------

I was there when they took all the people

I was alone in a mental ravine

You breathe life when you break the walls down

You breathe life when you set me free

-------------------------------

Dr. Dave Malucci had arrived at work in a very bad mood yesterday, and it had only worsened once he had actually started working. He had been snapping at his coworkers, the desk clerks, and even sometimes his patients. Twice Weaver had to remind him to keep his attitude in check, and still after that he was very terse with everyone. Life sucked for him, why couldn't he make it suck a little bit for everyone else too?

When he'd finished his shift, he'd gone out to a bar and gotten blind drunk. He'd gotten home on his bike somehow, and then went to bed. But it figured that the one time he actually wanted to sleep he couldn't. All he could think about - even in a drunken stupor - was John Carter, who was, thank God, already off of his shift and probably at home sleeping comfortably in bed. John was definitely the last person Dave wanted to see because he's surely only remind him of his unlearned mistakes.

But Dave couldn't help but wonder what had gone wrong. John and he had arrived at his apartment. John and he had kissed, and God, what a kiss that had been! And Dave had even asked him if John was sure he wanted to go through with it, and John had told him he wanted to. Had John just been caught up in the moment? Maybe Dave had moved too fast. Maybe he shouldn't have kissed him in the ambulance bay. But how else was he supposed to get it out there that he wanted John in that way? Dave wasn't good at subtle...he just wasn't.

So now, as Dave arrived at work sleep-deprived and answer-deprived, he was still generally pissed off and very hungover. Yesterday he'd been terse and snappy, but today, he certainly didn't feel like talking to *anyone*. If everyone just left him alone and let him do his job, then everything would be fine and -

"Dr. Malucci!" Just fucking great. He turned to look at Dr. Weaver, who had already found him guilty of something, and he hadn't even gotten on shift yet. "What the hell are you wearing?"

"I didn't even get on yet, Chief," he snapped as he instinctively glanced down at his gray T-shirt and jeans.

"It is seven o'clock, when your shift begins!" she yelled, and his jaws worked against one another as he bit back words of pure hatred that he would probably later regret if he said them. "You should be dressed and ready by that time!"

"I just got in!" he barked angrily as he headed towards the lounge. It was just his day - two days...hell, it'd been his fucking week! He angrily stormed into the lounge, slamming the door open loudly, but stopped dead in his tracks as he saw who was at their lockers, getting ready to leave. Dave stood there, in the middle of the lounge, staring at the stained tabletop, waiting...

"Hello, Dave," Luka said.

"Hey, Dave," Dr. Chen said as she pulled out her stethoscope and ID badge, having just gotten on. Glancing up, she noted that Dave had suddenly fallen silent and seemed to be frozen in place. She remembered hearing something about bad air between the two men from the nurse's rumor mill, and at first hadn't believed it. The two had barely ever interacted, and there hadn't been any sort of reason behind it - one that the nurses could provide, anyway. Now she could see that it was obvious, and wondered why she hadn't noticed it before. She also wondered what had happened.

"Hi," he said quietly, slowly and carefully approaching his locker, which was located near Dr. Kovac's. He suddenly veered off, heading towards the coffee machine, deciding to make himself a cup before his shift started.

Luka stayed where he was, knowing Dave was waiting for him to move so he could get to his locker. He wanted to be alone with Dave so he could talk to him, since seeing the junior resident outside of work was obviously impossible due to the fact Dave wouldn't even return his phone calls. Since two days ago, since what had happened in the shower and the supply closet, he needed to know if there was still a chance for them. He knew that Dave had felt something towards him before - when Luka hadn't - and now that he did have some sort of feelings towards the younger man, somehow Dave didn't even care anymore. How could he have let Dave slip through his fingers like that? And how could Dave just shut off his feelings like that?

Growing impatient, Luka was about to ask Jing-Mei to leave when she suddenly closed her locker and left, excusing herself as if she had intruded in on something. She must know that something between them was wrong - but then again, everyone did. Dave silently moved towards his locker, opening it and pulling on his scrub top quickly, pulling his stethoscope and ID badge out as well.

"Dave," Luka said as he stepped closer to the junior resident. Dave instinctively took two steps back, but Luka quickly stepped forward and took him by the hand, keeping a firm grip on it so Dave couldn't get away. "You've been acting strange lately...I just want to know what's wrong."

"Why? Since when to you care about me...for me or what happens to me?" Dave asked as he tried to get out of Luka's grasp. He felt Luka's thumb brush gently over his knuckles. He would've killed to have Luka touch him like this a few weeks ago. Now it seemed more like an invasion than an intimate gesture.

"Because I care," Luka replied. Dave still wouldn't look at him, but instead looked at Luka's hand, which was holding his tightly. There was a pause. "Do you still care, Dave?"

Dave suddenly looked up at Luka, his eyes searching the attending's eyes. How much Dave had wanted this nearly weeks before. And a part of him...a part of him had wanted it so badly that he still wondered...he still wondered...what if...?

The door pushed open hastily, and Jing-Mei rushed back in. Dave quickly pulled his hand away from Luka's once his grip faltered, and exited the room before he could hear the excuse that Jing-Mei produced for the intrusion. He heard Luka call out to him in an attempt to talk to him again, wanting a reply. Even if Dave went back, he doubted he could find his voice to give him one. He doubted that he even had one.

He moved through the ER hastily, knocking into Haleh, but not bothering to excuse himself even when she did remind him that he should. He pushed open the door to the men's room, needing to be alone for a few minutes to regain his composure, but immediately left before he could take two steps in after seeing Dr. Greene washing his hands while speaking with a young black doctor - maybe a medical student - that he didn't recognize.

Dave turned on his heel and crossed the hallway to the first door that he saw, unaware of the puzzling glances he left behind in the bathroom. He crossed the threshold, made sure no one else was inside, then closed the door behind him, keeping his hand on the knob and his other on the doorframe. After a moment, he slumped against the door, closing his eyes and leaning his forehead against the heavy wood. When he opened his eyes, he realized he'd walked right into the drug lockup.

He could see the shelf of amphetamines and benzodiazipines in his peripheral vision. He lifted his head off of the door and looked at them, biting his lip and creasing his brow. Someone had left the key in the lock. It would be so easy for him to just open it and steal a couple, then leave everything as if it hadn't been touched... He clenched his jaw and screwed his eyes shut, leaning his head against the door again and slamming his fist into the wall, only remembering that his hand was already bruised from smashing it into the wall the two days ago when he felt the sharp sting.

"Fuck!" he yelled, cradling his wounded hand in his other. He turned away from the enemy shelf, then placed his elbows on the opposite counter, burying his face in his hands. He swallowed hard and let out a breath that was as shaky as his hands, and then glanced at the shelf behind him, biting at his fingernails - a habit he had lost somewhere between high school and college only to be found again recently. He, once more, turned towards the door, placing his hand on the knob. But he couldn't will himself to open it. He glanced towards the pills again...

-------------------------------

Where is my head?

Where are my bones?

Why are my days so far from home?

-------------------------------

The door flew open, crashing against Dave's skull. A scream of horror could be heard from whoever had opened the door and realized what they had done as he hit the floor.

"Oh, God, Dave!" Jing-Mei said as she knelt down next to the doctor, who was cradling the left side of his face in his hand. She tried to help him sit up, but he waved her away with a bruised hand. Shoot, had she done that too? "Dave, I am so sorry! I didn't know anyone was in here! I left the key in the lock, and I..."

"It's okay," he grumbled, getting to his feet with her assistance. He waved her away again as she tried to move his hand away from his face. He could remember being hit with a door in that exact same manner before only the circumstances were much different, but pushed that thought to the back of his mind before it could get any farther than that. "Jing-Mei, stop it, I'm fine."

"Let me see," she said, brushing his hands away from his face. He finally relented with a sigh, dropping his hands to his sides. "Oh, God..."

"What?" he asked, looking at her worried expression. He tried to look at his reflection in the glass of the cabinets, but couldn't get a clear image of himself. He turned back to Jing-Mei. "What did you do?"

"I think I gave you a black eye," she relied sheepishly. She cupped the left side of his face in her hand and used her thumb to push on the bone. He jumped back with a yelp, followed by a scowl. "I'm just trying to see if I broke anything."

"Jing-Mei, it's fine," he replied, rubbing the spot she'd pushed on. She kept her concerned expression as he tried to shrug if off. "I've had worse."

She narrowed her eyes, wondering exactly what he meant. "I think we should get some x-rays. I could've broken something."

"You didn't break anything, don't worry," he said, quickly leaving through the open door. He was glad she had entered the room, even if she had given him a black eye. Not that he wouldn't have eventually left without taking more pills. He wasn't some sort of drug addict...right? Taking two pills didn't make you a drug addict. If he had left *after* he'd taken them, then he'd have himself a problem. Jing-Mei hadn't stopped him from doing anything, she'd just barged in on him before he could make the right decision, that's all.

After icing his eye and hand in the dark empty lounge for several minutes and hearing Dr. Weaver bitch and moan some more about how it was half-past seven and he wasn't working yet, Dave threw the gel-packs back into the freezer angrily, then stormed into the ER, heading directly towards admin so he could get to the next patient as quickly as possible in hopes that it would somehow make his shift go by faster.

"Excuse me," he heard from next to him. Dave stopped and turned to see the same young black intern or medical student, and he was looking quite lost. "Are you Dr. Carter?"

Dave let out a silent sigh. He really didn't need this right now. "No," he said, then started walking towards the admin desk to sign himself up for a few patients before Dr. Weaver really chewed him out.

"Then could you perhaps tell me where I could find him?" The kid just didn't get the hint.

"He left hours ago," Dave said, finally turning to face the young man, a puzzled expression on the resident's face.

"See, they accidentally told me that Dr. Malucci was my resident, so I came in now," the young man said. He suddenly stuck out his hand. "I'm Michael Gallant, by the way, his third-year medical student. I talked to Dr. Weaver, and she said he was still here and that my help was needed anyway."

Dave wasn't sure how well a new medical student would blow over with John. He could remember what had happened with his last one, and felt something in the pit of his stomach. Was it worry? But it wasn't worry for Gallant, it was worry for John. Wait, he was supposed to be pissed at John, wasn't he?

And wait...John was still here?

"I'm Dr. Dave Malucci," he replied, smiling politely as he shook Gallant's hand, glancing around the ER to see if he could spot John. "If you wait in Chairs, I'm sure Dr. Carter will come and get you as soon as can."

"Dr. Malucci," Connie called from a few feet away. "You're patient in Three's oxygen level just dropped to 89. Should we prepare for an intubation?"

Patient? He didn't have a patient! Shit, wait - hadn't the Chief told him something about signing off a patient of Luka's to Dave? Damn it, he really should start listening when she talks to him instead of nodding or shaking his head when he thought it was necessary.

"Yeah, I'll be right there," Dave said after some contemplation. He glanced down at his bruised and now swollen knuckles. He'd never be able to intubate with it. He suddenly looked up at Gallant with a smile. "You ever intubated before?"

"A couple times...on a cadaver..." Gallant replied sheepishly.

"Want to try one for real?" he asked, wrapping an arm around Gallant's shoulders as he led him towards Curtain Area Three. Gallant's eyes lit up and he nodded his head with a smile. "See, we've got this thing called the Intubo-Cam, and it lets us doctors see exactly what the med students are doing..."

-------------------------------

Where is my head?

Where are my bones?

Can you save me from myself?

-------------------------------

"Mom, listen, I'm really sorry, but I just got stuck in the ER," John said as he set his patient Dianna's arm in a cast, Nurse Yosh holding his cellular phone to his ear. He heard his mother's voice droning disapprovingly over the phone, and held back the urge to roll his eyes. Hell, she wouldn't see it anyway. He rolled his eyes. John hated Abby right now for convincing him to go back into the ER, because now he was stuck with several patients that various doctors and nurses had passed onto him. Wasn't he saying something earlier about the self-confidence to say no? "We could always reschedule. No, not tomorrow night, I have to work from twelve-noon tomorrow until twelve-midnight. What about Friday night?"

"Hey!" one of Touching Wood's roadies called from his seat in a nearby curtain area. Tonight had certainly been a night full of roadies and druggies from that concert they'd decided to hold in Chicago for Metallica, the opening act being Touching Wood, and Carter having been stuck with the worst of the patients. First Dianna, the girl's only problem at first being drug-induced idiocy, but now she had a broken arm, and now this roadie, who'd been waiting to have his toe sutured for hours. "Can I get this fixed up before it falls off?!"

John glanced around the ER for someone, anyone, who could help him out and suture this kid's toe - even if the only reason was to get him to shut up - but the only person who he could spot from here was Dave Malucci, who's fleeting form was escorting a young black man to Curtain Area Three. John's eyes immediately moved towards the clock. Shit, it was already that long into Dave's shift? John had been stuck here for that long??

"Yo, Carter," Malik said as he breezed past him, holding a pack of gauze in his hands. "Abby's kidney stone patient finally got set up to Urology. She said to give him GENT, but it wasn't charted, so should I give him a dose?"

"Not if she gave him one," John replied, his eyebrows raised at the should-be rhetorical question. Malik gave him a blank stare, and John sighed in response. "Call her up and make sure."

"And if she's not home?" he pressed, pausing momentarily.

John suddenly got an idea as he leaned back in his seat and smirked, pulling his cell phone out of his pants' pocket. "Know what? I need to yell at her anyway." John dialed her cell phone number, which he had committed to memory over the course of the summer, and then waited for her to answer. And when she did: "Having fun? Having a good time?" Pause. "Well guess what I'm doing? Setting the broken wrist of an LSDiva. You know, this is your fault that I'm stuck here after you pressed me to talk to Weaver about the Attending position! I got sucked into the ER vortex!"

"Since things seem to be dying down, John," he suddenly heard from next to him. He looked up from his seat where he was clearing up whether or not Abby administered GENT to her patient to see Dr. Weaver, and immediately narrowed his eyes as he saw she had her jacket and purse on her. "I'm going to head over to Doc Magoo's."

"Things aren't dying down!" he hissed incredulously. "I've got five patients, and I'm not even on!"

"Then sign out and leave!" she snapped angrily as John noted a familiar-looking man standing by the ER bay doors, obviously waiting for Kerry. He couldn't place the face of the pony-tailed man, didn't care to, and then angrily told Abby he had to go and hung up. Kerry suddenly turned. "Oh, and one more thing, John."

"Yes?" he asked with as much politeness as he could muster, putting on a fresh pair of gloves as he prepared to suture the roadie's toe.

"Your medical student is looking for you."

"I wasn't aware that I had one," he replied, a sneaking suspicion crawling inside the back of his mind that told him it was just the way Dr. Weaver had wanted it. She didn't reply, but was instead seemingly engulfed by the very interesting cast that the LSDiva was sporting. John sighed again, standing and ripping of his fresh gloves. The toe-lac patient would just have to wait a little longer. "Where is he?"

"I think he's with Malucci in Curtain Area Three," she replied, and John's throat closed up. He suddenly couldn't find his voice, and felt a wave of panic wash over him. Dave was with his medical student? What were they doing? Were they discussing a patient? Performing some sort of procedure? Why would Dave be with his medical student in the first place? "Is everything okay, John?"

John snapped out of his sudden onslaught of questions at himself and smiled. "Yeah, sure. I'll just go and introduce myself, I guess, and get everything started."

"Oh, and congratulations on your Chief Residency," she said casually before she left.

"Thanks, Kerry," he replied with a smile, though he wasn't acting Chief Resident until another few weeks or so. Kerry had given him the news on the telephone yesterday, and he'd already thanked her plenty for allowing him to get it. It had to have been due to some of her doing, otherwise he would've never gotten past the first cut.

John approached Curtain Area Three with more apprehension than he usually did, but when he listened from the hallway, he could only hear silence. Dave was usually...loud. If he were in there, surely John would've been able to hear him...unless he was by himself. Well, standing out here certainly wasn't going to get him anywhere, so John steeled himself and quickly entered the room.

Upon entering, he immediately noted that Dave was not in the room, and then he suddenly found religion and thanked God. There was however, a young black man standing next to an intubated patient, reading the different numbers on the monitors and noting them on the chart he was holding.

"Excuse me," John said, startling the young man slightly. He then realized that he hadn't gotten his medical student's name from Kerry. Damn it. Just another thing that'd gone wrong today. "I'm Dr. John Carter."

"Oh!" he said, recognition crossing his face even though he hadn't seen the man before. He immediately stuck out his hand. "I'm Michael Gallant, your third-year medical student."

"Nice to meet you," John said with as much enthusiasm as he could muster. He suddenly looked towards the door, remembering that Kerry had said Dave was with him and wondering if he was coming back. "What are you doing in here?"

"I just performed my first intubation," he reported proudly. "I hope you don't mind that I intubated with Dr. Dave. I was early and I guess I just wanted to help out...right now, I was just monitoring Mr. Steinbeck's oxygen levels."

"That's quite all right," John said, smiling. "Why don't you come with me, and we can work on some patients together, and then you can take some of your own. Say...where is Dr. Dave now?"

"A trauma came in," Gallant stated as they exited the room together, John pausing briefly to check the hallways for the junior resident before traveling to Admin. "He's taking care of him now in Trauma Two."

-------------------------------

Free-thinking renegade social

Mr. Moon Man now

In a slipstream of my possibilities

I got the boat so we don't drown

-------------------------------

"Paul, can you hear me?" Dave called loudly into his patient's ear, who had been unresponsive to anything thus far, including the Narcan he'd been administered due to his high pulse of 110 and chest pain. Paul's heart rate suddenly dropped to 98, the EKG beeping wildly. Dave soon realized that they would have to intubate. What the hell was wrong with this guy? "Has he been doing anything unusual to his schedule or anything like that?"

"Paul's first art show opens on Monday," Paul's brother, Glenn, explained, "so he's been an insomniac all week. But I didn't think it'd result in *this*."

A thought suddenly stuck Dave, something he hadn't even thought of before now; I would explain everything. He looked up at Glenn. "Does he do drugs?"

"No, I don't think so," Glenn said, shaking his head. "This is the first time I've seen him since he moved to Chicago."

Haleh passed Dave the EKG readings, and the resident took a moment to absorb the information he was seeing before his eyes. He glanced at the monitors, and then back to Haleh, who was looking at him with raised eyebrows, wondering how much further the patient's stats would have to drop before the resident diagnosed the patient.

"Let's get a tox screen," Dave said, and Haleh immediately wrote down the orders. "Jesus, his ST elevations are off the chart! He's having a major heart attack!"

"At twenty-seven years old?" Glenn asked, stunned, as he clutched his coat in his hands.

"It's pretty common among cocaine users," Dave said, "because the drug can constrict arteries."

"Oh, God," Glenn said, a look of horror on his face.

"Let's get 40 ccs of tenecteplase," Dave said, setting his jaw. "We gotta bust the clot."

"I'm not giving him thrombolytics until an Attending or Chief Resident signs off on the procedure," Haleh reported, crossing her arms over her chest for emphasis.

"Come on!" Dave barked, incredulous. He indicated the monitors, which were beeping wildly as if to agree with him. "Time is heart muscle!"

"No," Haleh insisted, shaking her head. "I'm not doing it until you run it past Carter or Dr. Weaver!"

"Then get one of them!" he shouted, praying to God that she'd get Dr. Weaver instead of -

-------------------------------

These are the days that I'm split down the middle

No words to calm me down

Be sure that what you dream of

Won't come to hunt you out

-------------------------------

"Carter!" he heard the unmistakable voice of Haleh Adams yell as she entered the small exam room where he was helping a patient's mother calm her nosebleed. He turned to face her after instructing his newest patient to keep pressure on the bridge of her nose. "Dr. Malucci needs you in Trauma Two, his patient's crashing!"

"So why can't he handle it?" John asked, placing his hands on his hips as she led him out of the room. He didn't think he could face the younger doctor - not today, maybe tomorrow but not today, definitely not today.

"He needs you to sign off on thrombolytics," she reported, rushing towards the trauma room, John following close behind. John sighed as they neared the trauma room, took a deep breath to settle his nerves, then entered the room, his stride much more confident than he actually felt.

"Hello, Dr. Malucci," John said, and the junior resident looked up from their intubated patient. John immediately noticed Dave's black eye, wondering how it'd happened. Did a patient get too hard to control? Maybe he had gotten into a fight at a bar or something. He hoped that everything had worked out okay in the end. Wait, he wasn't supposed to care. Well, you could care about your friends, couldn't you?

Upon seeing John, Dave wondered if being upset was the right course of action. What would it gain? He and John would stop being friends all together...he and John would end up just like he and Luka, and Dave didn't want that, he didn't want that at all. Maybe he could just show John that nothing between them have changed. If he couldn't be his lover, then he could at least be his friend.

"Hi, Carter," Dave said, then indicated the patient, who was lying unconscious on the gurney, the monitors beeping and indicating a sense of palpable panic in the air. "Twenty-seven-year-old man, acute MI, possible cocaine user. I'm ready to push TNK but I need you to sign it off."

"Did you get a tox screen?" Carter asked as he glanced at the x-rays, which were hanging behind Dave.

"Yeah, but he's killing myocardial cells while we wait," Dave said. "There's no recent surgery and the blood draws say there's no disorders, so can I push the TNK?"

"Yeah, sure," John said, nodding. He looked from the x-rays to Dave. "If you want to kill him."

Dave looked up at John, then instinctively at his patient. He, once more, looked up at John, a confused expression on his face. "What?"

"He looks Marfanoid," John reported, nodding towards the x-rays. "See for yourself."

Dave peeled his eyes away from John, slowly turning away from the Chief Resident to look at the x-rays. He fully turned away from John, approaching the light box that the x-rays were hanging from. Then, finally, quietly: "What do you mean?"

"Marfan's syndrome," John explained, joining Dave at the x-rays, glancing at the junior resident in his peripheral vision, though the younger man was studying the x-rays intensely. "Tall stature, pectus excavatum, loose joints. Didn't you ask for a family history?"

"I did," Dave said, stricken. He would've killed this patient because he was careless, because he thought he had all the answers, because he thought he was smarter than the process. "The family didn't say anything," he said, though he even sounded defeated to himself.

"Maybe Glenn didn't know," John pointed out logically. He turned to Dave to remind him not to assume, that assuming could result in something so extreme as death, but when he saw the expression on Dave's face, he saw that he had already learned that lesson. "Look, see? They have weak connective tissue in the aorta. He's dissecting."

"I was going to give thrombolytics to an aortic dissection?" Dave asked himself quietly. If he had done that, the drug would've worsened Paul's condition, creating ultra-thin blood that would've flooded the aorta and bathed Paul's chest in fluid. His patient would've bled out; his patient would've died - no - he would've *killed* his patient.

"So what should you do?" John asked, trying to pull Dave out of the daze he was in. John gently placed his hand on Dave's shoulder, slightly turning the younger man so he would look at him. Dave's eyes slowly looking up away from the floor and into John's, the junior resident's eyes portraying the horror at his almost-mistake. John felt a sudden pull at his chest and recognized it as worry; this had obviously affected Dave greatly. "Dave, what should you do?"

"I..." Dave started. God, he would've killed his patient! He would've killed his twenty-seven-year-old patient! Paul was younger than he was! And all because he assumed! "I don't know..."

"Yes, you do, Dave," John said gently, aware of Haleh's eyes on him, but uncaring. "Dave, what would you do to any other patient who was dissecting, who didn't have Marfan's?"

"I, uh..." Dave said, shaking his head slightly to clear his thoughts. He blinked hard and looked at his patient. "I'd check the aorta for a rhythm. And get him up to surgery. He has to go to surgery. Page Dr. Benton."

Dave moved away from John, taking over the situation once more. Satisfied that he'd rectified the situation, John crossed his arms over his chest and watched as Dave worked on the patient, every order careful and doubly checked by the junior resident to make sure he didn't make the same mistake again. If Dave was anything, then he was a fast learner. John smiled as left the trauma room, unaware that he had one on his face until he caught his own reflection in the glass of the trauma room doors.

-------------------------------

Where is my head?

Where are my bones?

Why are my days so far from home?

Ghostman

-------------------------------

Dr. Weaver stared at Paul's x-rays, which were still hanging from the light box inside the trauma room where, moments earlier, Paul used to lie. He was currently in the OR with Dr. Corday, who was desperately trying to save his life, though from what Dave had heard, was having a hard time. He silently hoped that the young artist made it through, and that the delay in a diagnosis because of his error didn't affect the outcome of the surgery.

"You don't know what Marfan's looks like?" the Chief of the Emergency Department asked, turning towards Dave.

"He's an artist, he was up all week," Dave said, offering the only explanation he could come up with, sticking with what he knew. But it was what he didn't know that had mattered in this case. "I was thinking cocaine."

"Did you check the blood pressure in both arms?" Kerry asked expectantly, her temper obviously running short today. Dave muttered something under his breath, looking down. "Did you or didn't you?!"

"No," he spat, snapping his head up to look her in the eye. He immediately looked away again, feeling Dr. Weaver and John's gaze, who was also in the room. He didn't need this, he didn't need to be chewed out right in front of the one person that mattered the most to him. He *couldn't* be chewed out right in front of the one person that mattered the most to him, he realized. If he did, he was pretty sure he'd burst into tears.

"It's a good thing Dr. Carter here checked out the x-rays, which *you* indicated were clear, Dr. Malucci, or your patient would've died!" she said through clenched teeth. "I can't even imagine what you were doing when you looked at the x-rays."

"He was crashing!" Dave tried to argue, tried to save the last bit of respect he had from Dr. Weaver. "I had to make a quick decision or else he was going to die!'

"Know what? That's your job. You make quick decisions based on the information available," she snapped, her anger warping the usually pretty features of her face. "You had the right information, but you didn't bother to look at it."

He was utterly and bitterly embarrassed. If she was going to do this, couldn't she do it in private? She had to make a fucking ass out of him in front of John? He could feel the heat rise in his cheeks as anger overtook his emotions. "And you've never made a bad call?"

"Dave," John said, trying to warn him before he treaded too far into the deep waters that he was heading for. Continuing in the direction he was going would surely be suicide.

"Not as lethal and stupid as this one could've resulted in!" she raged, looking up at him with pure disgust in her eyes.

"Well, guess what, Dr. Weaver?" Dave asked sarcastically. "This isn't a perfect world, where every doctor can correctly diagnose patients!"

"In a perfect world, Malucci, I wouldn't even subject patients to your care!" she yelled. "If you knew your ass from your elbow, or even gave a damn...!"

"I do," he choked. "I *do* give a damn!"

"...then this man would've made it up to surgery without his doctor almost killing him!" she finished, yelling over his deep voice to be heard.

"Paul could die in surgery anyway," John said, trying to take Dave's attention away from Dr. Weaver before the young doctor said something that could endanger his position here at Cook County.

"He would've definitely died had Dr. Malucci given him thrombolytics," Kerry concluded, staring Dave right in his eyes. Dave suddenly moved, heading towards the door. "Just where do you think you're going?"

"I need to tell Glenn that his brother has Marfan's," he said, hoping that this act of professionalism would show them - particularly John - that he *did* give a damn. "And the family needs to be screened."

"I'll do it," John offered.

"No, *I'll* do it," Kerry snapped, pointing to neither of them but rather to finalize her instruction. She turned to leave, but paused at the door. "No one talks about this case! Is that clear?"

"Yes," Dave hissed, John complying with a calm, "Yes, Dr. Weaver."

She left the room, leaving Dave and John alone. Dave crossed his arms over his chest, his breathing becoming ragged as he felt the rage boiling inside him. Fuck Dr. Weaver, he thought angrily, his hands clenching into fists. Fuck her for chewing him out like that! he thought as his jaws worked against one another. Fuck her for chewing him out like that in front of John! he thought as he heard the Chief Resident call his name in an attempt to calm him down. Fuck her for being right! he thought as he turned and knocked a metal instrument tray to the floor in mute fury.

"Dave..." John repeated as he reached for the junior resident, who was crossing the room to the door quickly, his strides long and angry. He touched the younger man's arm, but Dave pulled away roughly, startling John.

"Get the fuck away from me!" he shouted, his face contorted in a sort of rage the older doctor had never seen before. John glanced at him in surprise, but the other doctor just left the room, leaving John, once more, alone.

-------------------------------

Where is my head?

Where are my bones?

How could we get so lost?

Ghostman

-------------------------------

Careening out of control, Dave stormed out of the trauma room, heading, for no reason he could think of, towards the elevator. He stepped inside, angrily jabbing at the button to a random floor several times until the doors closed, and rode the empty car until it stopped on his floor. He slid out of the elevator and quietly moved down the hallway.

His pace slowed, but he did not stop as he saw the medication room to this floor was completely open and unattended. He kept moving, but then his body would no longer listen to his mind, and he stopped completely. He glanced around, then turned and found himself inside the room, searching...searching...but searching for what? he wondered, but could easily answer his own question. He was searching for something to take the pain away. And sitting there, on the third shelf from the top, were the Percocets and Klonipin. Before he could stop himself, he grabbed the two bottles and hastily shook out a few pills from each into his hand before returning them to their proper shelf. As a doctor, he knew that taking them together was dangerous, but he desperately needed something to mellow him out and help him to forget, if only momentarily.

"Hey," he suddenly heard from behind him, startling him. "What are you doing in here?"

"I was checking to see if this room was unattended," he said as he crossed his arms over his chest, the pills concealed in his hands as he turned to face a pretty young nurse. He raised his eyebrows, turning the tables. "And, apparently, it is."

"I...I left it unlocked by mistake," she said, looking down at the ground as she realized that a doctor had just discovered her error.

"That's one hell of a mistake, don't you think?" he asked, the coating of the pills melting in the heat of his palm, making his hand sticky.

"Yes, Doctor," she said, nodding. She looked up at him, her eyes pleading with him. "Please don't tell my nursing supervisor. I'm new, and I don't want to get into trouble..."

"You need to be more careful," he reprimanded. "You never know who will come along and steal something." Yeah, he thought to himself, gripping the pills tighter, feeling his fingernails digging into his skin. Someone like me.

"Yes, Doctor," she repeated softly. "I'm sorry..."

"Mistakes happen," he said, equally soft. "Trust me, I know. I make them all the time."

She suddenly narrowed her eyes at him, her expression turning to one of concern and worry. "Are you okay, Doctor?"

He shook his head slightly as he cleared the thoughts from his mind. "Yes, I'm fine, just a long shift. Thanks for asking. I'll see you around."

Dave moved out into the hallway, feeling the pretty nurse's gaze on his back as he quickly walked down the corridor. He could hear soft crying, and when he glanced inside a waiting room, he saw Glenn holding, presumably, his crying mother. He felt a knot in the pit of his stomach, his eyes darting to the sign on the door, indicating just exactly which waiting room this was: the surgical waiting room. Dear Jesus.

Bolting from his spot in the hallway and to an alternate exit of this floor, running down the back steps, his whole body trembling and his heart ramming in his chest. He needed to calm down or else he would lose his mind. Reaching a patient floor, he quickly moved into the men's room, slamming the door closed behind him and locking it, making sure there was no one inside first. Once he was sure he was safe and alone, he opened his palm, revealing the pills. He counted several of them; he'd taken more than he thought he had. He took one of the Klonopins and Percocets and swallowed them, following them with a handful of water from the tap.

Oh, God, what had he just done?

He caught his reflection in the mirror, the ghastly figure staring back at him almost startling him. Was that him? That pale, trembling person in the mirror was him? He touched his face just to make sure, and lo and behold, it *was* him. Lord, how had he managed to get into this sort of state? How had he managed to succumb to...to *this*?

Dave placed the rest of the pills in his pocket and sighed; he would save them for the next time he couldn't deal with life, which were moments that were coming more and more often. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Dave knew that he was spiraling out of control, but was helpless to stop it - and maybe he didn't really want to.

He splashed water on his face, finding comfort in the coolness and, moreover, in that feeling he got every time he took pills. Usually, he didn't like the way he felt when he took pills, but today was different, because today he was doing it not to get through a shift, not to help out his mood, but to forget. What would happen if he took all the pills and found a nice, quiet place, and "forgot" forever? Would anyone care? Would anyone look for him? Probably not. No one had the last time he'd tried to make things "better."

Soon, Dave found himself back in the ER, ready to start treating patients again. He walked to the Admin desk only to be met by Randi, who shoved a chart into his stomach.

"Where have you been?" she asked. "Weaver's been looking for you. She's pissed that you haven't answered your pages."

"What?" he asked, the drugs taking hold of him. He should've grabbed some Dexedrine, he realized now, as he felt sleepy, almost as if he was walking in a dream. Everything had a sort of surreal effect, movements were slow and hazy, and little halos surrounded the lights. He was almost surprised, because he'd never had this kind of result from the drugs, but then again he had never taken them together before.

"Dave...?" Randi asked, looking him over. He looked like shit run over twice, and he looked like he *felt* that way too. "Are you okay?"

"Why?" he asked slowly.

"You seem out of it," she whispered, leaning closer to him so no one else would hear. "Have you been drinking?"

"No!" Dave snapped, surprising Randi and himself. "I'm just tired...and, uh...a little sick."

"Well, you'd better start treating patients before Weaver puts you out of your misery," Randi warned.

"Malucci!"

"Too late," Randi muttered under her breath as Dr. Weaver approached them, fury written all over her face.

"Yes, Dr. Weaver?" Dave asked softly, not daring to make eye contact with the Chief of the ED. Randi glanced at him quizzically; he almost seemed like a scared child, not the defiant man that she knew. Something was definitely wrong here.

"Where the hell have you been?"

"Uh...I..."

"Uh, I - you *what*, Malucci?" she snapped, mocking him. He startled visibly, causing Dr. Weaver's eyes to narrow in concern.

"I went up to surgery," he sputtered, looking down at the floor. "To see how Paul was..."

"I thought I told you to stay away from him and his family?" she asked, once again angered by the junior resident's inability to follow directions.

"I did," he whispered, feeling suddenly dizzy as he was overcome by emotion and the drugs. "I just looked through the window...I...I didn't bother them."

Dr. Weaver was about to say something else, but there was something about Dave that just didn't settle right with her...he was off...he wasn't his smug defiant self. She glanced at Randi, who was looking at Dave with a worried and slightly puzzled expression of her own. "Are you sick, Dr. Malucci?"

"No..." he said. "Dr. Weaver, I just...I didn't bother them, I just..."

"Go sign out, your shift is over," she said, taking the chart from the young doctor. She'd never seen Dave so upset. Angry, yes. Anger was an emotion that she had seen from him many times, but nothing like this...

"No, I have another two hours," he said, suddenly desperate. "Don't suspend me again, please?"

"You've..." she started, unable to finish the statement of vehemence that she was about to deliver. She was still very upset with him, but even *she* couldn't kick him while he was this down. "You're not suspended, Malucci. Just think about what I said, and come back next shift."

"Okay," he responded, walking away without looking at either woman.

"What the hell is wrong with him?" Dr. Weaver asked Randi once Dave was out of earshot.

"Don't you know?" Randi asked, almost accusingly, looking at Dr. Weaver with a sort of abhorrence in her eyes.

"What is that supposed to mean, Randi?" she snapped.

"Whatever you think it does."

-------------------------------

I stand around at American weddings

I stand around for family

At my best when I'm terrorist inside

At my best when it's on me

-------------------------------

"Hey, Carter," he heard as someone grabbed his arm. He turned to see Dr. Edson, a grin on the surgeon's face. "I scheduled your bleeding-nose patient for a septoplasty next week."

"She had a nasal defect?" John asked, feigning surprise. He wasn't really into the conversation, his thoughts traveling to Dave, a person who seemed to be present in his mind often these days.

"Two grams of coke a day will do that," Edson said, smirking. Where was Dave now? He had at least an hour left of his shift... "You look pretty tired. Must be having a long shift."

"I'm not even on," John said, adding something to his side of the conversation.

"Go home!" Edson exclaimed incredulously. Maybe Dave was up on the roof. He'd heard that that was the spot Dave liked to go to lately, to be alone and gather his thoughts. Would he mind if John joined him? He had seemed upset, specifically when he cussed at John before leaving the trauma room.

"I can't," John said. He wanted to stay and look for Dave, maybe reconcile with the younger man. But why would he want to do that? Because they were friends - at least they had been before... - and that's what friends did. They got into arguments and they reconciled, and were back to being friends again. He looked up at a confused surgeon. "I mean, I might as well stay and nap at County; my next shift is at noon."

"Bad idea," Dr. Dale Edson warned, a glint of mischief in his eyes. "You know what they say: 'The longer you stay, the longer you stay.'"

John managed a smile as he shook his head, turning and heading for the roof. He could at least try it, and if he wasn't there then he could head over to Doc Magoo's before asking anyone anything. Passing the trauma room, he paused momentarily as he saw Randi taking down Paul's x-rays and slipping them inside the manila envelope they had been sent down from radiology in. Deciding that maybe asking would help him find Dave quicker, John entered the room, pushing the door open and leaning against it.

"Have you seen Dr. Malucci, Randi?" John asked, and the young desk temp turned around, the films at her side.

"He went home."

"Home?" John asked, puzzled as Randi approached him and joined him in the wide doorway. "Why would he go home?"

"Dr. Weaver sent him home," Randi said, and John let out a sigh of disdain. "Don't worry, she didn't suspend him again, she just told him to go home for the day because he was so upset."

"Tell me about it," John said, crossing his arms over his chest. "I think I got the brunt end of his anger after she left the trauma room."

"No, not angry..." Randi stated, shaking her head. John tilted his head, a sign of his confusion, telling her to elaborate. "He was *upset*...like, I don't know...he was acting weird. I asked him if he was drinking, and he said no, that he wasn't feeling well. Then when Weaver asked him if he was sick he said no, but...I don't know. Whatever, you'd know better than I do, I don't even know what happened in here today. I'll see you later, Carter."

John watched her leave the trauma room and head back towards admin, his mind absorbing what she'd just told him. Dave was upset? He'd only seemed angry last time John had seen him, which only left him with one question...

What had happened between the last time John had seen him and when he'd left work?

-------------------------------

Ghostman, how could we get so lost?

Ghostman, where is my head?

Where are my bones?

Can you save me from myself?

-------------------------------

A scream emerged from deep within his throat, echoing off of the walls like a cacophony of the dying, his cry of death the loudest of them all. Sitting straight up in bed, his throat raw, it took David Malucci a few moments to realize where he was, even in the morning sun that had managed to creep through the blinds of his bedroom, casting shadows on the walls and in the corners of the room.

He took a few moments to catch is breath and gather his thoughts, trying to erase the memories of his nightmare. It hadn't been the worst one he'd ever had, but it was right up there with the best of them, with the ones that remained so vivid in the back of his irises he never thought he would be able to close his eyes again.

Pushing the covers back, Dave stepped out of bed, his bare feet touching the dirty carpet that, no matter how hard he tried to clean, always remained that ugly shade of beige. He crossed the room, heading towards his small bathroom, closing the bathroom door behind him as if he were afraid someone might witness the act he was about to perform.

He glanced at himself in the mirror, running his hands through his tousled hair and then scrubbing his face with them. Bringing his hands to rest on the sink counter, Dave stared at the dripping sink for a few moments in an attempt to calm down, his breathing shaky. He suddenly opened the mirror cabinet, and saw them sitting on one of the textured glass shelves: the four pills, two of each kind of drug.

He grabbed one of each without the slightest bit of hesitation, and immediately placed them in his mouth, swallowing them dry. He stood at the sink for a moment longer, then slammed the mirror closed so hard the glass actually cracked. Unable to look himself in the eye after what he'd just done, Dave turned to exit the bathroom, ready to start forgetting.

But how much further was he willing to let this go? How much longer was he going to continue to do this? How many more pills until his problems went away completely because he was dead or, even worse, a babbling gork in a nursing home?

Suddenly, abruptly, he turned sharply on his heel before he'd even gotten two steps out of the bathroom and moved back inside quickly. He knelt down on the floor before the toilet and opened the lid, sticking his fingers down his throat. After a couple more tries and a few more dry heaves, the two pills were floating in the water.

Dave placed his hand to his forehead, a pained expression coming to his face. His hand slid down over his mouth, almost as if that alone would stop the sob from escaping his throat. The hot tears spilled down his cheeks and onto his fingers, and he started shaking as he buried his face in his hands. He reached blindly out to the back of the toilet, and very soon the two pills were swirling down the toilet drain, just like his life seemed to be doing.

-------------------------------

Where is my head?

Where are my bones?

Can you save me from myself?

-------------------------------
Chapter Six - Push Rewind by The She Devil
------------------------------- Chapter Six: Push Rewind -------------------------------

7am;

The garbage truck beeps as it backs up

And I start my day thinking about what I've thrown away

-------------------------------

Dr. John Carter lie on his back, his arms outstretched directly above his face, holding the metal weights in the air. He held them there for a few moments, holding his breath as well, and then exhaled as he lowered them to his sides. A fresh breeze passed over him, managing to cool down his sweating body somewhat; it was a nice day in the fall, just perfect for going outside and doing something recreational, such as lifting weights, as he was doing right now in his backyard.

Letting his mind wander, it traveled back to a place it had been since yesterday: Randi explaining to him that Dave was upset. When he said he'd known that Dave was angry, the young desk clerk had explained that he wasn't just *angry*, he was upset. But when encouraged to elaborate, she couldn't even come up with anything besides "I don't know." She'd even said he'd know better then she would, and what bothered him was that he didn't. And what bothered him even more was that he wanted to, because usually he wouldn't have given Dave or the younger man's problems a second thought. In fact, he'd always just assumed that "Dr. Dave" didn't have any problems at all.

"Are you all right?" he heard his grandmother ask, pulling him from his thoughts. He slightly turned his head to look at her from his seat on the flat lounge chair, a smile on his lips due to her concern for her grandson. It vanished as soon as he saw she was holding an aspirin and a glass of water. "I was wondering if you wanted some aspirin. I know your back has been troubling you lately."

"Thanks, Gamma, but no thanks," he said as he raised his arms again in the air, pausing as he held them there. His back was sending a dull ache through his body right now, but he didn't want to take the aspirin only because then he'd be admitting that it *was* bothering him. And the last thing he wanted to do was bother his Gamma. He glanced at her worried expression. "I don't need it. I just need to exercise a bit, and I'll be fine."

"What you need is to see my orthopedist," she stated as she placed the glass of water on the patio table, leaving the aspirin in case John changed his mind about not wanting it. "I'm making you an appointment today."

"I'm covering a half-shift today."

"Then tomorrow," she pressed.

"Gamma, I don't need to see your doctor," he said, shaking his head as he placed the weights on the ground next to him, and then sat up.

"Your back is nothing to trifle with," Gamma advised, wagging a disapproving finger at him. "You don't want to end up with a hunch like Uncle Everett."

John tossed her a look, displaying his exasperation. "This isn't orthopedic, Gamma. I was stabbed," he reminded her.

"I know that, John," she reminded *him*. "All the more reason to take care of yourself." He let out a sigh as she held out the glass to her, but when he went to take it from her, her hand jerked subtly and the glass fell to the ground, shattering. "Oh, sorry!"

"That's okay, Gamma," he said, stopping her before she could bend down to pick it up. "I'll get it."

"No! Don't move!" she exclaimed, startling him. He looked up at her, puzzled. "You have no shoes on!"

"All a part of my ninja training," he said with a smile, throwing his feet over the side of the lounge chair.

His grandmother glanced at her grandson, her turn to be puzzled. "Your what?"

-------------------------------

Could I push rewind?

The credits traverse, signifying the end

-------------------------------

Dr. Dave walked through the hallways of Cook County General, heading towards an exam room where he'd been told Dr. Finch could be found. He glanced at the chart he was holding, which he was tossing back and forth between his hands.

Since Monday, his mood had increased slightly, though not by much. But at least he wasn't lashing out at everyone for no apparent reason anymore, as he had been a few days ago. Now, he kept to himself, doing what he was told when he was told to do it, throwing in a few sarcastic remarks here and there just to keep up the fa�ade so people wouldn't be too concerned. When people were concerned, they started asking questions, and he didn't want anyone to ask anything about him.

On that note, Dave considered the fact that John Carter knew about his past - or some of it, anyway. The only person he'd ever confided in had let him down terribly, going from friends to something more and now...now they weren't anything, just coworkers. What if John told someone else about Dave's past? Would the older man do that, on spite for the way Dave had cussed at him in the trauma room on Monday? No, John wasn't that kind of person...

But then again, Saturday night, Dave had thought John wasn't the kind of person to lead him on in such a way to think something could actually be happening romantically between them, and then in the light of the morning change his mind. He was almost sure that John wasn't that kind of person - in fact, he had been positive that he wasn't that type of person.

And he'd been wrong about that, so could he be wrong about this too?

Putting that thought aside for now, Dave pushed open the door to the dark exam room, save the single examination light, and saw Cleo and Dr. Benton hovering over an unconscious patient. He flashed a smile, knowing Cleo would probably be glad to have a patient off of her hands. "Hey, Cleo. I reduced your prolapsed rectum."

"You what?" she asked, her features twisting into annoyance instead of a smile, as he'd hoped. "You treated my patient?"

"The girl was in a lot of pain," he explained. She was angry with him? He'd just helped her out! What the hell was *her* problem? "So I used my sugar trick."

"Sugar trick?" she asked, exchanging a glance with Dr. Benton.

"Yeah," he said, displaying with his hands: "Sprinkle it on, water escapes from the mucosa, the edema subsides, and" - sound effect added - "pop that puppy back in."

"You should've let me look at it first, Malucci," Dr. Benton said, frowning as he paused in his suturing. Dave glanced at him. Jeeze, sue a guy for trying to help a person out. He was just trying to be nice. He could've just let that girl suffer, you know. "It could've been a prolapsed hemorrhoid."

"Trust me," Dave said, shaking his head at the thought. "That was no hemorrhoid."

He exited the room rather annoyed, but it seemed as if he wasn't the only one who *was* annoyed. Following close behind was Dr. Finch, still admonishing him for doing her a favor. "Don't treat my patients," she said, continuing to follow him all the way to the Admin Desk, where he dropped the chart into a pile with the other finished ones.

"Why?" he asked, shrugging, still wondering what the big problem was. "I rectified the situation." He paused, then smiled. "*Rect*-ify. Get it? Funny."

"Any idiot could shove an anus back in," Cleo said, obviously not humored. Dave sighed, rolling his eyes. He really didn't need this right now; he still had a whole shift ahead of him, and he didn't want this to hover over him the whole time, to put him in a bad mood. "I was waiting for a surgical consult on that patient, Dave."

"Oh, come on," he retorted. "You were gabbing with your boyfriend."

"Is there a problem?" he suddenly heard Dr. Weaver ask from the board of patient names. Great, now she was going to gang up on him too?

"Yes," Dave said, glancing at Cleo as he said so. "I never met anyone so possessive over someone else's butthole."

"Don't touch my patients!" she called as she headed back towards the exam room. He waved off her concern as he watched her fleeting form, and then turned to take care of another patient, one of his own.

That was just about the last time he'd ever do anyone a favor again, he decided. God, he'd just been trying to *help* her, couldn't she see that? Couldn't anyone see he could do something for another living being without an ulterior motive, or without thinking he was a cocky jerk? How could he change? And what could he possibly change into? Something that he wasn't? Why couldn't they just accept him for who he was and accept the fact that he cared?

Dave let out a silent sigh, his pace slowing. He stopped, holding the chart in his hand, glancing through it though he wasn't really seeing it. He looked up, then to his right. The drug lockup. He was really down after what had just happened between Cleo and himself, but was that pick-me-up really worth it? The night he'd nearly killed his own patient, he'd promised himself he wouldn't steal any more pills...

But that didn't mean he couldn't take the ones he already *had*, did it?

-------------------------------

But I missed the best part

Could we please go back to start?

-------------------------------

Dr. Luka Kovac moved down the hallway of the ER, searching for Dave. The older man hadn't seen him his whole shift, and he still desperately wanted to speak with the younger man. Dave had, over the past few weeks, managed to cloud his mind. He was the only thing that Luka could think about, and that thought startled him. He hadn't thought of anyone like this since...God, how much he hated to admit it, but he hadn't thought of anyone like this since Danijela. What was wrong with him? He couldn't *love* Dave, could he?

That was ridiculous, his alter ego said. How could you love someone that you didn't even know? But he did know Dave. Sure, he might not have known where the junior resident was born or even his birthday, but he did know that Dave liked to get up in the middle of the night and watch television, he did know that Dave's favorite beer was Heineken, and he did know that Dave listened to classical music in the shower. God...how could he have been so stupid? So blind to see what Dave had felt for him wasn't just physical attraction? How could he not see that Dave had feelings? Well-hidden feelings, but deep feelings? How could he not see that Dave cared for him? And, most importantly, how could he have hurt Dave like that?

Luka glanced inside a dark exam room as he moved down the hallway, the blinds open. He spotted Dr. Carter examining his own foot in the examination light, obviously having a hard time doing so. Luka's pace faltered as he remembered Dave asking the Chief Resident to share a beer with him. Had their night escalated to anything more than that? Had it escalated to what Luka and Dave's first night together had escalated to? Had John even joined Dave that night? Maybe they hadn't even gone out...or maybe they had...and maybe they were in a relationship - not just sex but something more than that, something that Dave had wanted from Luka, something that Luka yearned from Dave now.

Finally stopping, Luka turned and headed back towards the exam room. If he couldn't find out any information from Dave, then maybe he could find out some information from Dr. Carter.

-------------------------------

Forgive my indecision...

-------------------------------

John sat on top of the patient bed in the empty exam room, trying to position himself so he could see the bottom of his foot. He should've listened to his grandmother when she told him not to try to clean up the shattered glass without shoes on. Now, hours later, it was all coming back to bite him in the - well - foot.

The door opened, and John glanced up to see Luka enter the room. John smiled at the older man, who returned the gesture, and then indicated his foot after seeing the Attending's puzzled glance. "I stepped on a piece of glass this morning..." he admitted sheepishly, slightly embarrassed.

"Are you sure?" Luka asked as he bent down to glance at it, touching it gently with his fingers only to receive a yelp from John. "Yep, you've definitely got something in there. Let me see if I can get it out."

"Sure, thanks," John said, holding the pair of tweezers as Luka pulled up a stool and snapped on a pair of latex gloves. Luka took the tweezers from John and then began to attempt to remove the piece of glass from John's foot, John wincing occasionally in pain.

"How did Saturday night go?" Luka asked casually, not glancing up at the older man.

John looked at Luka in surprise, his head spinning with the quick movement in addition to the thought that Luka knew something - but knew what? The only thing he could ask was a choked: "Saturday?"

Luka glanced up at John from under his brow. "You went out for a beer with Dave, no?"

"Oh! Right," John said. Luka, once again, looked down at John's foot, continuing with his task. John tried to think of the many reasons why Luka would bring this up. Dave hadn't mentioned anything to the Attending, had he? Dave had seemed very upset the last time John and he had crossed paths, which was Monday, the day of the Marfan's Syndrome case. What if he'd said something to Luka in his anger? Something about he and John? John realized that Luka had asked him a question, and immediately began to reply. "We went out to Del Monte's, a bar nearby. Just had a beer or two, and then we went home - separately," he hastily added.

Luka held back the urge to convey a curious expression. He had noted the fact that John had emphasized that the two men had gone home alone. Was he trying to hide something? Or was it just Luka being paranoid? "Did you have a good time?"

"Yeah, Dave is always good for a laugh or two," was the reply. John winced as Luka exerted too much pressure on his foot. He realized that maybe he wasn't the only one who knew Dave's sexuality. What if Luka knew? Were he and Dave good enough friends for the junior resident to share something so personal like that? The two of them barely spoke...but then again, the two of them were currently in a fight, so they had to have been in some sort of relationship previously...wait...Dave and Luka weren't - ? "Oh my God."

"What?" Luka asked, looking up. John chastised himself for uttering those words out loud, but how could he have helped it after just realizing he'd walked into some sort of romance? Dave and Luka had been together, how could he have missed that? Maybe John wasn't even really all that accurate. What if he was just imagining things after what had occurred between himself and Dave? "Did I hurt you?"

"Yes," John said quickly, maybe too quickly, but he didn't care right now. He just wanted to get out of this room before he cracked. He knew sooner or later he'd say something stupid that would give away the fact that he knew, and he thought that this was something he'd better keep to himself. He wasn't sure why. But if he knew about Dave and Luka, did that mean Luka could know about Dave and himself?

"Sorry," Luka apologized. He looked up at John, waiting for the younger man to say something more, to say something that would make Luka change his mind about thinking something had happened between the two residents. Please, Luka begged silently. Say something.

Say something! John screamed silently to himself as Luka stared at him, waiting. Say something to make Luka think otherwise of his suspicions, just in case he has any! Say something! Say something! Say something!

The door suddenly opened, startling both men, though John more than Luka, and Haleh poked her head inside the room, her eyes landing on John. "Dr. Chen needs you in Trauma One, STAT."

"Thanks, Haleh," John said, quickly putting on his sock and shoe before limping away. "Thanks, Luka, but I guess I'll get it out later."

"Right," Luka said, keeping his back to the younger man as he left the room, snapping off his gloves and slamming them onto the floor. He crossed his arms over his chest, his shoulders slumping in defeat. Something *had* happened between Dr. Carter and Dave, but just exactly what? Standing, he decided that the only other way was to simply ask Dave.

-------------------------------

Then again, you're always first

When no one's on your side

-------------------------------

Dexedrine in his system, causing him to be overly elated and overly bold, Dr. David Malucci breezed through the ER. He'd brought the pills to work in his pocket, intending to return it to the drug lockup, but after that confrontation with Cleo, he'd decided that maybe it wouldn't hurt to take them. After all, he would've been walking through this shift with that hovering over him, and at least with the Dexedrine, he wouldn't have to think of it as much. And when he didn't think of it, he was happy and able to get along with people better, thus treating patients better. Well, that's what he told himself anyway, to justify his actions.

Since leaving the bathroom - where he had taken the Dexedrine - Dave had decided that maybe the best course of action was to simply leave this hospital. He could transfer out to another hospital, where there was no Luka and no John and no presumptuous coworkers who thought they knew everything there was to know about Dr. Dave. He smiled; a new start for a new man.

He wanted to speak to Dr. Greene about this first before going to the Chief about it. She wasn't in the best mood today - or so Randi had warned - and he figured that maybe the Attending could give him some advice before his final decision.

Spotting Dr. Greene tending to a street performer with his former medical student, Abby Lockhart, he called out to him, approaching him at a fast pace. "Hey, Boss, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," Dr. Greene said as he kept his eyes on his patient.

"Hey..." Dave said as he spotted a beautiful paramedic walking into the elevator. To his surprise, she smiled back, even waving at him. Maybe today wasn't such a bad day after all! He suddenly saw Luka approaching, heading straight for him, and decided to wipe away his previous thought. Up until now, he'd managed to evade the older man, and right now he didn't feel like speaking with the Attending. Quickly, he sprinted towards the elevator's closing doors.

"Dave?" he heard Dr. Greene call from behind him. "What is it, Dave?"

"Nothing!" he quickly said as Luka quickened his pace subtly. The resident quickly moved onto the nearly full elevator at the dismay of one of the passengers, and the doors closed behind him. He quickly thought up an excuse. "Medical emergency."

"You're a doctor?" he heard the pretty paramedic ask him skeptically, glancing over his scrub top and jeans.

"Yeah," he said, crossing his arms over his chest proudly. "I'm Dr. Dave."

"So I've been warned," she sighed, mistaking his behavior for flirtation. Dave smiled in spite of himself, turning towards the closed elevator doors, wondering what he was going to do once he got to whatever floor he decided to get off on. He'd have to eventually go back to the ER, and hopefully dodge Luka for the rest of his shift.

Halfway to the second floor, the elevator suddenly lurched to a stop, causing a groan to emit throughout the car. The patient who had previously warned Dave once again reminded him: "I told you we were full!"

Dave sighed, opening the panel door on the side of the elevator and picking up the emergency telephone, connecting with the hospital's security and asking when they were going to be let out of this sweltering-hot elevator car. When Dave relayed that they were working on it, he considered just how bad this really was. At least he was stuck in here next to a pretty girl instead of the fat man in the wheelchair behind him, who was grousing that he had an ulcer. At least he wasn't stuck in here with Luka. Or John, who, luckily, only had a few more hours left of the half-shift that he was working today.

Suddenly feeling playful - perhaps from the Dexedrine and perhaps not - Dave leaned closer to the paramedic, whose nametag read the name Chloe. "If you get scared," he whispered to her, a sly smile on his face. "I'll hold you."

"And what is it that I might get scared of?" she wondered, looking up at the handsome resident with a raised eyebrow, though there was amusement in her eyes.

"Plummeting to our deaths," he replied casually, keeping that sly smile.

"What?" a woman asked from behind them, having overheard what Dave had just said.

"He was kidding, ma'am," Chloe said quickly, glaring at Dave for needlessly alarming someone. Dave just smiled and raised his eyebrows as if to say, "It could happen." The paramedic looked at him for a few moments, then rolled her eyes and turned away, though Dave could see a hint of a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"I think I'm gonna be sick," the man in the wheelchair moaned just as a woman commented that she felt faint.

Dave turned to face them, holding his hands out, the paramedic following suit. "No one's going to be sick, no one's going to faint," he said, trying to reassure them, as if that would help them restrain themselves until the elevator started working once more. Suddenly, the man leaned forward, retching, vomiting bright red blood. Dave stepped back just in time for it to miss him, his eyes wide at the fact that things would only get considerably worse. He exchanged glances with the paramedic. "Oh, shit."

-------------------------------

But, then again, a day will come

When I want off that ride

-------------------------------

John stood at the elevator alcove, watching as the digital number indicating the floor it was on stood still at one. If it was at floor one, which was the floor he was standing on, why weren't the doors opening? Today was not his day, he could tell already and he wasn't even halfway through it yet.

"What's up with this thing?" he heard Abby ask from next to him. He glanced at her, shrugging. "I think Dave overloaded the damn thing when he jumped on. It's probably stuck."

"Dave's inside?" John asked, hoping that the twinge of panic he heard in his own voice was only audible to himself. He considered quickly ducking out, but considered that it would seem too suspicious, especially if his tone of voice *was* audibly irregular.

Abby glanced at him with raised eyebrows, nodding. A wry smile appeared on her face, and she indicated the closed doors. "He jumped on board after seeing some big-breasted paramedic. But something tells me it didn't matter that she was a paramedic. I think he was following the breasts."

John instinctively looked to the closed doors. Dave had rushed onto an elevator after seeing a pretty girl? Was he hoping to get her phone number? Or was he hoping to get something more from her? Despite the fact that John was the one who had wanted the two men to remain friends and nothing more, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of - what? Disappointment? Disappointed that he was that easy to get over? Disappointed that Dave, only days after their shared night together, could already be after another interest? Disappointed that he'd meant that little to Dave? But why would that matter if Dave didn't mean anything to him, which he certainly did not?

He felt Abby nudge him playfully in the ribs, and when he looked down at her, he could see her smiling widely. "Don't worry, John," she said, teasing him. "It probably didn't matter that she was breasted, either. I'm sure there's still a chance for you." John looked back to the closed doors, then turned away and started towards the stairs, quickly. "John...? John! What'd I say??"

-------------------------------

11am;

By now you would think that I would be up

But my bed sheets shade the heat of choices I've made

-------------------------------

"Doctors are human," Kerry was saying to an impatient Dr. Romano as she walked with him through the hospital. "We make mistakes too."

"Had Paul been diagnosed properly in the first place and gone straight to the OR instead of that delayed diagnosis that Dr. Malucci kindly supplied us with, he might still be alive, flipping burgers at McDonald's!" Dr. Romano said, reminding Kerry that the patient had died in surgery, and the family was wondering how that could've happened since the statistics had been in their favor.

"Marfan's is hard to detect," Kerry insisted, defending the junior resident, maybe because she felt as if it weren't his fault, or maybe to just disagree with Dr. Romano. "The residents have never heard of it."

"That is why Attendings exist," Dr. Romano said, quickening his pace as if to lose the Chief of the ED. "That is why positions such as *yours* exist."

"I can't be everywhere at once," she snapped, a very big mistake on her part, as Dr. Romano spun on his heel to stare her straight in the eye and shout: "Wrong answer! As we speak, the family is planning to take legal action against this hospital unless someone suffers a consequence for this screw-up, so come up with a better excuse than 'doctors are human,' or find yourself a good old-fashioned scapegoat!"

Dr. Weaver stopped in surprise, letting Dr. Romano walk up the stairs to the OR by himself, and at that second, the elevator doors *dinged* open, a crowd pouring out of the car, causing the Chief of the ED to glance inside suspiciously. On the floor of the elevator car lay a rather large man, a paramedic pumping the bag as Kerry heard Dr. David Malucci brag to the pretty girl, grinning: "Who's your daddy?"

It appeared that she wouldn't have to look much further.

-------------------------------

And what did I find?

I never thought I could want someone so much

'Cause now you're not here and I'm knee deep in that old fear

-------------------------------

"Can I get you a cane?" John heard the unmistakable voice of Luka ask, teasing him about the limp present due to the glass that was still stuck in his foot. Luka was one of the last people John wanted to see right now. First, the Chief Resident wanted to sort things through in his head - maybe figure out just what had happened between Luka and Dave, Dave and himself, and Luka and himself, specifically earlier in the empty exam room. *Then* maybe John would speak to Luka or Dave again. Until then, he'd just steer clear of the two men who he'd mistakenly thought he knew.

A thought came to John's mind, and he immediately spoke up as if it would make up for his lack of saying something earlier: "You know, women often find helplessness charming."

It didn't work.

"In puppies, maybe," Luka simply replied. Damn it, the Attending was quick. He'd immediately picked up on John's strategy, and now the Chief Resident was worried that Luka would be even *more* suspicious. What if he knew John had mentioned women just to deceive the older man? Of course he'd think that. He'd thought a night of beer between Dave and John had turned into something more - and it sure as hell had. Luka suddenly led John to a curtain area, sitting him on the bed. "Let me get that glass out of your foot. Do you want some lidocaine?"

"Just do it," John said, taking off his shoe as Luka took out a pair of tweezers from the supply cart nearby. John let out a painful "Ow!" when Luka finally tweaked the glass shard from his foot. He looked at Luka gratefully. "Thanks, Dr. Kovac."

"No problem," Luka said, standing, and John followed suit. They stood in an awkward silence for a moment, and John rubbed the nape of his neck, turning his head slightly. He suddenly caught sight of Jing-Mei, who he saw escorting one of his patients to the ER bay doors. "Is something wrong?"

"Yeah..." John replied, and quickly excused himself, heading towards Jing-Mei. He grabbed her arm gently, allowing her momentum to swing her around to face him. "That's my patient."

"No...she's my patient," Jing-Mei stated, tossing John an odd look. She held out the chart to him, and he glanced it over, his jaw setting as he read it over. "Something wrong?"

"Weaver took her from me!" he seethed, glancing at her with anger, though it wasn't anger towards her, but towards his Chief. "She gave her to you!"

"Maybe she thought you were overloaded," Jing-Mei offered, her expression compassionate. She'd noted that many cases had been handed off to John, because he was the Chief Resident and the residents were either being lazy or didn't now how to handle it. And, because of that, John had asked Dr. Weaver for help, but she had only offered him terse replies that he should be able to handle it.

"More like incompetent," he stated, remembering how he'd earlier asked her for some help, and she'd practically bitten his head off for doing so. He glanced up at Jing-Mei, then focused on someone behind her. "You know Jing- Mei, sometimes I regret going for the Chief Resident position," John spat.

"Why?" Jing-Mei asked, knowing she, herself, had been dying for the position.

"Because I have to deal with that little tyrant, and I don't mean Romano."

"I guess it is true what they say," Jing-Mei said, cryptically.

"What's that?"

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."

John nodded in agreement and then spoke again. "Speak of the Devil Incarnate."

"Haleh, prep a trauma!" Dr. Weaver barked as she pulled on a trauma gown. "We've got a patient coming in! John, Jing-Mei: don't just stand there! Make yourselves useful!"

"Sure thing, Dr. Weaver," both John and Jing-Mei said as they pulled on gowns of their own and followed her towards the ambulance bay.

-------------------------------

Forgive my indecision...

I am only a man...

-------------------------------

"Are you sure we should be doing this?" Chloe asked, though the smile on her face and glint of mischief in her eyes indicated that she didn't care.

Dave kissed her neck, sucking hard enough to leave a mark before allowing his mouth to move up her jaw and to her ear. He gently nibbled at her earlobe before whispering into her ear: "It doesn't really matter, does it? We both want it, so who cares?"

Her only reply was touching his cheek with her hand to move it towards her, so she could encase those beautiful full lips with her own. He pushed his tongue through her closed lips, surprising her delightfully, and she allowed him to wrap his strong arms around her and move her, so she was on her back on the small seat of the rig and he was straddling her with his knees.

They both knew they didn't have that much time, so they didn't even undress fully before she was rolling a condom over his fully erect cock with delicate fingers. God, how much he needed this right now, it took all he had not to come by her touch. He just needed to let it all go and release the anger and tension he'd been feeling for the past weeks, and a little rough, spontaneous sex was just what the doctor ordered. And as he thrust himself into Chloe rather roughly, producing a gasp from her, Dave didn't realize that he wouldn't even get that.

-------------------------------

Then again, you're always first

When no one's on your side

-------------------------------

"Where the hell is my patient?" Kerry raged to Malik, who was outside waiting as well to assist the Chief of the ED in the incoming trauma.

"104 is bringing her in," he replied, and when she turned towards the ambulance that was parked nearby, he tossed John and Jing-Mei a glance as if to say: "What is *her* problem?" "Then who the hell's ambulance is this??"

Kerry charged towards the ambulance, yanking open rig's back door to see if there was anyone inside. And was there ever. Inside, fucking frantically, was the paramedic that Kerry had seen around the ER earlier, and Dr. Malucci. They turned, both giggling childishly from the fact that they'd been caught doing something so naughty, and Kerry slammed the door closed, disgusted.

"What's wrong, Dr. Weaver?" John asked as he approached her, after seeing her expression. She looked at him, pursed her lips, and then took on almost a satisfied expression as she turned back towards the ambulance, flinging open the back door again.

"Chief!" John heard the unmistakable voice of Dave say, urgency in his tone. John suddenly thought of the "breasted paramedic" that Abby had referred to earlier, and his eyes widened as he realized that Dave could only be doing one thing in the back of that ambulance. Steeling himself, he glanced inside, and his heart jumped into his throat as he saw his assumptions were correct.

"Dr. Malucci," Kerry said as evenly as possible, John's eye catching Dave's, and the younger man's erection dissipated as he realized what a mistake this had been. "I want you out of that girl and the ambulance, and into the Lounge. If you aren't there in ten seconds, then I will pack up your personal belongings from your locker myself. As for you," she said to the paramedic. "I want this rig out of here immediately."

She slammed the door closed before Dave could get in another word, then turned, pulling off her trauma gown. John stared at the closed doors of the rig, hardly believing what he'd just seen. Glancing at Jing-Mei, he could see an amused expression on her face, but it immediately faltered when she saw the concerned face on his.

"What's wrong, John?" she asked, studying his features.

"Nothing," he lied, shaking his head. The back door of the rig suddenly opened, and Dave stepped out, his appearance unkempt, unable to meet the eyes of any coworkers, especially John. He walked inside the ER quietly, avoiding John's gaze, who was desperately trying to make eye contact with the Junior Resident. "What do you think Weaver's going to do?"

"Suspend him," Jing-Mei stated with a shrug, not really caring either way.

But John didn't really care either. All he cared about was that he had meant that little to Dave. And now all he had to do was figure out two more things: Why he'd meant that little to the younger man, and why he even cared at all.

-------------------------------

But, then again, a day will come

When I want off that ride

-------------------------------

"Look, Chief," Dave said, trying to plead with the older woman, who was leaning against the lockers, her jaw set and eyes firing daggers at him. "I know you're pissed, but come on, let's be real about this. I didn't do anything wrong, you can't suspend me."

"You call what you just did in the ambulance bay *while you were on duty* right?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest, raising her eyebrows knowingly.

"Well...no, but..." he started, searching his mind quickly for something, anything to keep himself from getting suspended. If he got suspended this time, he was almost sure next time he would be fired - and he knew there would be a next time, there was always another screw-up waiting to happen when he was involved, but his mind was racing from the drugs, and from the situation, which made him unable to come up with something witty, as usual. "Chief, I was on my break, and she was between calls. We were just having a little fun, that's all. Is there anything wrong with *that*?"

"Dr. Malucci, you'd better watch it," she snapped. "I could've fired you for what you just did. And do you know why? Because Dr. Romano is looking for a scapegoat for what happened last week, and you are the only person in sight. Consider yourself lucky, Malucci."

"Lucky?" he muttered, just loud enough to hear it. Dr. Weaver glanced at him in surprise. She was trying to help him, why was he still angry with her? It was as if he had no control over what he was saying or doing. "We both know that now you're just going to fire me next time. Because now you have an excuse."

"What exactly are you trying to imply here?" she asked, leaning heavily on her crutch. If Dave wanted to instigate something, than that was exactly what she was going to give him. She certainly wasn't in the mood for anyone's bullshit, especially a know-it-all Junior Resident like Dr. Malucci, and perhaps she should make him her scapegoat. Her life would certainly become easier if she did. Maybe she should give him enough rope to hang himself and be done with this whole situation, be done with him. For good.

"You don't like me," he replied, staring her straight in the eye, his eyes cold and wild. "You're only giving yourself an excuse to fire me next time because you don't like me. You know that I'm on thin ice with the residency review board. Two...two more suspensions and I'm gone, my career is over. And - and that's exactly what you want!"

"You're right," she hissed, approaching him. "I *don't* like you. You show no respect for me, your colleagues, this hospital. You like to think that you have this cowboy approach to medicine, but you don't have the goods to back it up. You make mistakes - mistakes that kill people!"

Dave took a step towards her, and for a fleeting moment, she felt terror run through her veins, and she was afraid of him. His muscles were tense and his eyes were filled with such a wild anger she was actually afraid that he was going to strike her. She shrank back against the lockers, as he stood flush to her. Her mind was racing, and her grip tightened around her cane. If she lifted it up and swung it at the side of his head, at his temple, she knew she could seriously hurt him - probably knock him unconscious. But she would only hit him if he touched her.

"I don't kill people!" he said, his face contorted with rage. He lifted his hand, but instead of swinging her cane, as Dr. Weaver had intended to do, she closed her eyes tightly, turning her face away from him, all out of pure instinct. And she waited. But when no blow came - but she could still feel his body heat near her - she opened her eyes to see that he was just simply pointing at her, though threateningly. And she saw that his expression of anger was gone, and all that was left was pure shock. Shock because Dr. Weaver had thought he was going to strike her...but also because he knew that he had been very close to doing so. "Jesus Christ," he breathed.

As suddenly as he had advanced on her, he retreated, and collapsed down onto the old leather couch heavily, his mind spinning. He placed his head in his hands, then ran his fingers through his hair. Kerry could barely understand this. One minute, Dave was pleading with her; the next, he was irate; and now...now he was upset? What was going on here? When he spoke, she wasn't expecting what he said, though she wasn't sure what she *was* expecting. "I'm a good doctor...I don't like it when you say that I don't care...because I do...I do care. I didn't mean to hurt that patient. I...I thought that I was doing the right thing," he whispered.

"Dave," she finally said, giving up trying to understand this man. "Sign off your patients.

Call in a few days to see when you're working next. I'll see you in a week."

"Please don't do this to me," he pleaded quietly, looking up at her. Now she was sure there was something wrong with Dave...but what? "I learned my lesson, I won't screw up again."

"Dave, what is going on with you?" she asked concerned, placing a tentative hand on his shoulder, feeling him flinch under her touch. But she didn't pull away. Something was wrong, and she was going to find out what it was.

"I...I don't want to lose my job," he said softly.

"You're not!" she said, trying to comfort him as best as she could. "It's just a suspension." She tried to joke with him, to lighten he mood, anything to cheer him up: "You should be used to them by now."

Dave looked up with her, with pure hurt in his eyes. How could she say something like that to him? He wasn't "used to them." God, how terrible of a doctor did she think he was! "You'll change your mind and fire me. I know you will," he said firmly, his mind obviously made up. "You just said that you don't like me - hell, I don't like me! Why would you?"

"Dave, people say lots of things when they're mad," she reminded him, giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "Go home, work through whatever it is that's going on with you. Don't worry about you're job, it'll be here when you come back in a few days."

She let out a silent sigh as she moved away from him, taking one final look at him before leaving the lounge. She was no longer mad, but very concerned for her young Resident. After her confrontation with him, she realized just how differently he'd been acting lately. Not enough to gain attention, but just enough for her to notice it right now. She would definitely have to speak with some of the staff about him, make some inquiries, and find out just what the hell was going on.

-------------------------------

12pm and my dusty telephone rings

Heavy head up from my pillow, who could it be?

-------------------------------

"They've been in there for a while now," Randi said as she glanced at Chuny, who was standing next to her. By now, most if not all of the ER had gotten wind of Dave getting caught with his pants down in the back of an ambulance with a paramedic he'd just met. "You think she killed him?"

"She could be getting rid of the body," Chuny mused. "She's probably having a hard time stuffing it in her locker."

Randi nodded, and at that moment, Dr. Weaver exited the Lounge, sending everyone in different directions so they didn't look like they'd just been gossiping. John glanced up from his chart as the Chief of the ED eradicated Dave's name from the patient board with one sweep of the eraser, replacing it with different doctors' names. She hadn't fired him, had she? Glancing towards the Lounge, John knew that Dave was still inside. Could he be cleaning out his locker at this very instant?

Unable to sit there any longer, John stood and crossed Admin, heading towards the Lounge. He pushed open the door softly, and saw Dave sitting on the couch, staring at his hands, which were in his lap. The younger man glanced up briefly after hearing someone enter, but then quickly looked away after seeing who it was. Soon, John found himself next to Dave on the couch, both seated in silence.

"Weaver suspended me," Dave said quietly, the first to break the silence.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm sorry," Dave said softly. He turned to look John in the eyes, the desperation in them so intense John almost had to look away. "I shouldn't have yelled at you like that, especially since you tried to help me out." He was referring to when he'd cursed at John in the trauma room, but that had been a week ago, why was he bringing it up now? Had it been bothering him all this time? The handsome young man suddenly looked away. "But I was angry, and sometimes when I get angry, I..." He couldn't continue without bursting into tears, so he ran a hand through his hair in an act of frustration, whispering: "I don't know...I thought I was doing the right thing. I just wanted to save him."

Dave was jumping from topic to topic, making it hard for John to follow the conversation, so the Chief Resident said the first thing that came to mind: "Don't kill yourself over this." He immediately cringed at his choice of words. Dave had, apparently, thought this was an intended joke, and John was relieved when the younger man let out a small laugh that sounded more like a scoff. "Anyone could've made the same mistake, Dave."

Dave shrugged. "No. No, you knew what you were doing. But I...I killed that kid. I killed him because I think I know everything. But I don't. What was I thinking, that I could be a doctor? I make stupid mistakes all the time. Dr. Weaver's right. I have no business being a doctor. I'm dangerous."

"That's not true, Dave. You're a good doctor, you just need to learn to wait for all the information, that's all. You just have to learn to be patient."

"Well, there's nothing I can really do now, is there? I suppose I could quit. Quit before Weaver fires me," he said sadly. "She's going to next time, you know. Fire me. She's got an excuse now. Nazi dyke. She's...she's going to set me up. I should just save her the trouble and...and save all my potential patients from my miserable care."

"Dave..." John said, trying to calm him down, rationalize with him and console him at the same time. "Why don't you work on your technique as a doctor before you throw it all away?"

Dave looked up at John. "I do care, though," he suddenly said, and John's expression showed his concern and slight puzzlement. "I know no one around here thinks I do, but I do."

"I know you do," he replied, hardly able to keep up with Dave's train of logic. "But the question is: do you care enough to learn from your mistakes?"

"I don't know how..." Dave whispered. "I never seem to learn from my mistakes...I...I should just end it."

"End what?" John asked, alarmed. Was Dave feeling so low that he would actually consider hurting himself? John suddenly remembered the scars he'd seen on Dave's wrists. The younger man had tried it before, but John didn't know when or why, or how close he had come to death, or any of the specifics...but he did know now that Dave wasn't afraid to do it. Could he possibly try it again? And could he possibly succeed this time?

Dave seemed to catch on and quickly added, touching one of the scars on his wrist instinctively, "My career." But his words didn't seem to make John feel better, and the older man wasn't sure if he believed him, especially after noticing Dave touching one of his scars.

"Lucky for you, you are friends with the Chief Resident," John said, trying to pull the conversation back into a positive direction.

"Why is that?"

"I'm going to help you learn," John said with a shrug.

"Trust me," Dave said. "I'm not worth the effort."

"Let me decide that, okay?" John asked, his worry really taking hold. What was going on with the younger man lately? Was it his own fault that Dave was acting like this, or was it the younger man's? Dave shrugged, his gaze remaining on his hands. "So what have you learned today?"

"That I'm a terrible doctor," Dave said, bowing his head.

"No!" Carter exclaimed, startling Dave, who glanced at him. John shifted and knelt before Dave, crouching down before him. "You learned today that you can learn from your mistakes and you'll never what?"

"Make the same mistake twice," he replied, staring straight into John's brown eyes.

"From the way you handled that trauma after you realized your mistake," John said reassuringly, "it looks like you won't make that mistake again, Dave. I can see that, and I'm glad that you can learn from your mistakes. One less thing I have to teach you. Dave, you are a good doctor and a good person, I learned that, now *you* have to learn that."

"I think you're just about the only person that thinks I'm worth anything," the Junior Resident said, looking down once more.

"Well, *they'll* have to learn from their mistakes now, won't they?"

Dave glanced up at John, his eyes searching the Chief Resident's. But for what? Any hint that something could still be there? Something he'd seen a few nights ago, when the two had been so far lost in each other the world had vanished for those moments? Now Dave knew that neither of them wanted to speak of what had happened two nights ago, but he also didn't want this to hover over them like some sort of storm cloud. He didn't want the same thing to happen between them that had happened between him and Luka - this was at least one mistake he could learn from. "Listen, Carter...why don't we just...forget about what happened between us and...be friends. I liked being your friend, Carter. And...I need friends. A real friend. Sure, I have a lot of buddies, but no real friends."

John smiled as both men stood. "Okay." That was okay, they could be friends. "Sure, Dave. I liked being your friend too."

"Great," Dave said, smiling himself, although John noticed how sad the smile really was.

"You know..." John started. Should he ask? Maybe he shouldn't, maybe it was too soon. But Dave had said it himself, he liked being his friend, and they could do something together as friends. Dave looked up at him expectantly. "Since I got that Chief Residency position..."

"Yeah," Dave interrupted good-naturedly. He held out his hand to John. "I've been meaning to congratulate you on that."

"Thanks," John said, shaking Dave's hand. He immediately felt the heat of the junior resident's hand in his as they shook, and when he looked up he was almost startled to see Dave looking right into his eyes. John glanced at the small bruise that still surrounded Dave's eye and he was surprised to find that he had to fight back the urge to reach out and touch it and ask him if he was going to be all right. Stay on topic, he thought to himself. Then he noticed something about Dave's eyes...they didn't seem right, as if he was having a hard time focusing.

"What's wrong?" Dave asked, looking down at the ground, sensing that Carter noticed something.

"Nothing." Just ask him what you intended to ask him in the first place, John. "Uh...so, uh, my grandparents are throwing this party for me, and a lot of my family and their friends are going to be there. Uh, so, uh, do you, maybe, want to go?"

"I'd love to," Dave said, unable to help but smile. "When is it?"

"It's next Saturday," he replied, stuttering as if he were an idiot. But maybe it was because Dave and he were still holding each other's hand even though the handshake was far over. And for some reason, he wasn't trying to pull away. "It's going to be until about ten o'clock because my grandparents are going on a trip to the mountains right afterwards, and it's going to be an evening event, but you can come any time you want, earlier or later."

"That's great," he replied. He realized that John wasn't trying to pull his hand away, like Dave thought he was going to when he took the chance to keep the now Chief Resident's hand in his. Maybe - just maybe - there was still a chance for him. Maybe there was still a chance for *them*, if he hadn't ruined it by having sex with that paramedic. "I don't know whether or not I'll be back at work by then, so I don't know what time I'll be able to come. What kind of party is it? I mean, what should I wear?"

"Tux," John said, avoiding any eye contact with the junior resident. Dave didn't own a tuxedo, but he supposed he could go out and rent one by Saturday. It was, in fact, a little over a week away. "Uh...you can, uh...you can stay later if you'd like. We probably won't see each other much during the party so, you know, this way we can...we can share a few drinks or something..."

"Or something," Dave said with a smile, then realized what he'd just said and wiped that smile off of his face before John could see it. He pulled his hand away from John's as he moved to his locker, getting his things together. "I'll see you next Saturday then."

"Yeah," John replied, sitting down on the couch once more. "See you next Saturday."

John watched Dave place his stethoscope and ID badge on the shelf, and then pull his knapsack out of his locker. He tossed it over his shoulder, turned, and moved towards the exit. "This is the worst part, you know," Dave said.

"What is?"

"Walking out there when everyone knows that you fucked up...that you're a fuck up. Facing people."

"You're not a fuck up, Dave," John said softly.

The junior resident said nothing, but paused in the doorway, looking over his shoulder but not at John. "She didn't mean anything you know."

"Who?" John asked, slightly puzzled.

"The paramedic," Dave said, looking into John's eyes. He turned back towards the door and left, leaving John alone in the Lounge. Staring ahead but at nothing, John realized that maybe he did mean something to Dave, more than he thought he hadn't, and more than he thought he *had*.

-------------------------------

I hope it's you...

It's you...

-------------------------------

"Mark!" the Chief of the ED called to the Attending, who was walking down the hallway of the ER. He stopped at the sound of his name, and turned to see her coming towards him rather quickly. "I need to talk to you for a minute."

"Sure," he said, as he placed his chart underneath his arm. She began walking with him towards wherever he was going, and he adjusted his pace to fit hers. "What's up?"

"It's about Dr. Malucci," she stated, glancing up at him. He looked down at her puzzlingly. "Have you noticed anything...off about him lately?"

"Off?" Mark asked, a smile coming to his face. "Malucci is always 'off'."

She grabbed his arm, stopping him from walking, a sense of urgency about her and in the expression she was giving him. "Mark, this is serious. Something is wrong with Dave. Do you have any idea what it could be?"

"No," he said, shaking his head. He shrugged. "I'm not friends with him, you should ask the other residents. Ask Carter." Mark suddenly paused, looking away from Kerry briefly, before glancing back at her. "I heard that something happened between Malucci and Kovac, but I heard it from the Rumor Mill. Why don't you ask him? It's worth a try."

"What exactly did you hear?" she asked, looking up at him, wishing at this moment that she actually listened to the nurses' gossip for once.

Mark shrugged, looking down at her. "I don't know, Kerry. I just heard that something happened between them, but no one knows what. There's a pool running to see who kills the other first, though. Want to join? Randi's got it starting at ten bucks if you're interested."

"Is it really that bad?" she asked, shocked. Two of her doctors were in an argument, ready to explode at each other, and she had no idea about it? She briefly thought of her skills as Chief of the ED before seeing Mark shrug again. She sighed, and looked up at him once more, before leaving. "Just keep an eye on Dr. Malucci, okay? If you notice anything amiss, please tell me."

"I will," Mark promised, and watched Kerry as she walked away from him and down the hallway, her limp more prominent than it had been in years.

-------------------------------

Then again, you're always first

When no one's on your side

-------------------------------

John closed his eyes as he lay down inside the empty suture room, getting some shut-eye now that the ER was in a lull. He took a deep breath, clearing his mind as he attempted to go to sleep, but all he could do was think of Dave and his emotional state. He could hear faint voices coming from the next room, which was only separated from Sutures by an open door with a curtain in front of it, and as the voices became recognizable - Kerry and Luka - he opened his eyes and turned his ear towards the room, his curiosity getting the best of him.

"Are you sure you haven't noticed anything wrong?" Kerry's voice, urgent but soft-spoken.

Now Luka's: "He and I aren't friends. I couldn't tell you. Why don't you ask Dr. Carter?"

Sitting up suddenly, John now looked at the open door. What were they talking about? And what did it have to do with him?

"I plan to," he heard Kerry say as his brow creased in concentration. It looks like he would find out what the issue was soon. "But you never answered my question."

"What question?"

"Did anything happen between you and Dr. Malucci?"

A pause. A pause that seemed to last for several minutes, though it probably only lasted for a few seconds. Then: "No. I told you. He and I aren't friends."

John clenched his jaw at Luka's lie. Well, it wasn't exactly a lie. Luka and Dave *weren't* friends, at least they weren't any longer. But if Kerry thought something was wrong with Dave, shouldn't Luka at least offer some help? This could be serious, and Luka was just going to blatantly state that he and Dave weren't friends, never had been? What kind of person was he?

"John." He looked up to see Kerry standing in the doorway. He knew he'd been caught, but at this point, he was too worried to care. And he could see that same worry reflected in his superior's eyes. "I suppose you overheard?"

"Yeah, I did," he stated, nodding as she approached him, and he noticed her leaning heavily on her cane. "You think something's wrong with Dave. I do too."

"You do?" she asked, almost as if she was surprised she wasn't the only one who had noticed. "What do you think is going on with him? He's been acting very odd lately."

"I don't know," John replied honestly, shrugging. He looked up at the Chief of the ED, his eyes displaying his concern. "I talked to him after you left him in the Lounge. He was really upset, Kerry. What did you say to him?"

"We had a confrontation," she stated, sighing as she placed her hand to her forehead. "He might've taken what I said too seriously. But, John, I didn't say anything in there that I haven't said before. Nothing was new to him."

"I think that's the problem," John said, a little more harshly than he'd intended to.

"What do you mean?" was the quiet reply.

"Have you ever given the guy credit for anything?" John asked. "Have you ever congratulated him on a good save or a good pick up? Have you ever tried to encourage him?"

"I always encourage him," she said, but the words even sounded lame to her own ears.

"Dr. Weaver, we both know that isn't true." He let out a sigh of his own as she began to leave the room without another word. He stopped her though, having to say something but not exactly knowing what. "Look, Dave and I are friends. I'll try to find out what's going on, and if it's anything serious that I can't handle, I'll come to you."

"Thank you, John," she said, clearly relieved that she would have some help in this matter. Straightening her posture, she pulled open the door and stepped into the hallway, and then glanced at her watch. "Your break is over, Dr. Carter."

Another sigh, this time at his horrible luck. Well, John thought as he stood up, stretching. Two things were clear: Dave and him would have to talk about this again, whether or not either of them wanted to, and something was terribly wrong with Dave.

-------------------------------

But, then again, then again, again, again

Then again, the guarantee has come

And I want off that ride

-------------------------------
Chapter Seven - Keeps Me Hanging On by The She Devil
------------------------------- Chapter Seven: Keeps Me Hanging On -------------------------------

This doubt is screaming in my face

In this familiar place...sheltered and concealed

And if this night won't let me rest

Don't let me second-guess...what I know to be real

-------------------------------

Dave stepped inside "Immediatux," a tuxedo rental store that allowed you to walk in empty-handed and leave with a tuxedo, and he felt immediately out of place. Here he was, in dark blue jeans and a scrub top, having his Saturday shift start in one hour - his first shift since his suspension - standing amongst the suits and tuxedos of a fancy store that he would've sworn a week ago he would never step foot into.

The place was empty of people, save the mannequins if you wanted to count them, so he pretended to know what he was doing and started wandering around, fingering a tuxedo nearby as if he did this all the time. He even felt self-conscious in front of the neatly dressed mannequins. Perhaps he should've worn something different and changed once he was at work. But it had been on the way to Cook County, this store being one that he passed by every day.

"Can I help you?" he heard from behind him. He turned to see a handsome man, probably a little younger than himself. Dave could tell the man thought he had no business being here.

He was right.

"Yeah, I'm looking for a tux," he answered. Dave flashed a sheepish smile. "As you can probably tell, I haven't done this since senior prom, so I'm gonna need quite a bit of help, and I hope you're up for the challenge."

The man smiled back, obviously taken by the doctor's charm. "I'll try my best. First, I'll take some measurements, and then we'll take things from there."

"Just have your wicked way with me," Dave said, following the clerk to the back of the store. They moved into a small private dressing room with three mirrors, each at a different angle, in front of a raised pedestal in the center of the room.

"Just stand up there," the clerk said, rummaging through a desk draw. Dave did as he was told, and the clerk returned with measuring tape. "Stand up straight."

Several moments later, Dave stood in front of the mirror in a tuxedo, looking pretty damn good if you asked him. He turned, checking out his backside, making sure everything looked just right. He needed to dress to impress, John Carter being the impressee tonight.

Dave turned to face Alex, the name of the clerk something he'd learned while making conversation. Alex's eyes suddenly darted away. He hadn't been checking Dave out, had he? Dave shook his head, silently chastising himself. Of course not, he thought to himself. Not everyone was gay.

"How does it look?" Dave asked, holding out his arms as if to say "ta da!"

"The tuxedo fits you perfectly," Alex stated, approaching Dave. "Whatever the occasion is, you are going to impress everyone."

Dave frowned slightly. He didn't like the way Alex had said "everyone."

"How much will this be?" Dave asked, changing the subject as he turned back towards the mirror.

"One hundred dollars," Alex reported.

"One hundred dollars??" Dave asked, surprised. He'd brought extra money with him today for this, but he didn't think he'd be using most of it. This was really going to put Dave in the hole until next paycheck. John was one high-maintenance guy; Dave could already tell that having a rich guy as a friend was going to be expensive.

"Tell you what," Alex said, stepping onto the pedestal with Dave, whose suspicions were growing by the moment. "I'll give you a discount if *you* give me your phone number."

Dave turned to face Alex, stuttering slightly as he tried to find the right words. "I'm sorta seeing someone."

Alex smiled, stepping even closer to Dave if that was even possible. "So am I, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun on the side, does it?"

Dave suddenly felt Alex's hand on his ass, and the clerk even had the audacity to give it a pinch! He immediately grabbed Alex's wrist and yanked it away from his body, and then gave it a rough twist, holding it firmly in place. Dave looked up at the clerk; their faces were mere inches from each other. He could see the sweat forming over Alex's brow due to his apparent mistake.

Dave smiled, still twisting the young clerk's arm. "I'll take full price."

-------------------------------------

Put away all I know for tonight

And maybe I just might...learn to let it go

Take my security from me

And maybe finally...I won't have to know everything

-------------------------------------

John Carter sat alone on a wooden bench in the back yard of his home, holding a glass of champagne in one hand and cradling his chin in the other, slouched forward so that his elbows were on his knees. The party had started several hours ago, but only now had he been able to get away from it. And he thanked God for it. He didn't know how much more of this party he could take.

He knew it was just an excuse for his family to get together and throw a big party to impress everyone important, and several times he'd thought about ducking out and leaving. He probably could, knowing no one would notice his absence after a few more hours of martini's and champagne. But something kept him here. Every time he wanted to leave, he couldn't, because something was keeping him here.

And he knew exactly what - or who, rather - it was. But he didn't want to think about it because he knew it would cause him to think about other things, such as his sexuality, something he had been very comfortable with until about a week ago. Until the person that was keeping him at this party changed him forever.

John sat back on the bench, leaning his head back so he could look at the night sky. In this part of Chicago, he could see the many stars twinkling in the sky, and it almost gave the night a dreamy affect, almost made it surreal.

"Isn't this *your* party?" he heard his Gamma say from next to him, having joined him on the bench. He startled in surprise; he hadn't even heard her approach. "What are you doing all by yourself?"

"It's really my parents' party," he replied dryly with a wry smile. "I think we both know that."

"You could at least enjoy it," she said, placing her hand on top of his. "I know I am. All the champagne and catering, and finally I'm not the one running the show, so I can sit back and relax."

"You deserve it more than I do," John said, staring off into the dark woods that surrounded the estate.

"Nonsense," Gamma said, raising her hand from his to give it a swat. They sat in contemplative silence for a moment, each lost in their own thoughts. Gamma was the first to break it. "Something's bothering you, isn't it, John?"

If there was one thing John's grandmother was, it was perceptive. After living with her for so many years, she knew him like she knew the back of her hand. But John simply shook his head, as if he needn't bother her with his problems. Even so, she persisted.

"John, I'm your grandmother," she said. "You can share anything with me."

He only wished that were true. "Right now...I just need to think this through by myself. But I will need to talk to someone sooner or later, and I'll make sure I come right to you."

She gently patted his hand once more, smiling softly at her grandson. "That sounds like a good deal to me."

-------------------------------------

And I am falling into grace

To the unknown

To where you are

And...

-------------------------------------

"Would you stop it?" Randi snapped from the other side of the admin desk.

Dave looked up from the zillion-and-two charts piled in front of him. He damned Weaver for making him do a chart review two hours before his shift was over. But apparently that's what happened when there were practically no patients, save the ones that were already being taken care of, and you said you were bored. "What?"

"You're being annoying," she simply stated, as if that would explain it. He hadn't done anything, he'd just been sitting at the deserted admin desk doing charts. Lots of charts. He found himself damning Weaver again.

"How?" he asked, glancing at the clock quickly. One hour and forty-five minutes left until he left. One hour and forty-five minutes until he was clocking out and biking to the Carter family mansion. One hour and forty- five minutes and then some and he'd be at the Carter family mansion, where John was waiting for him. He tried to picture him, tried to picture him when he would get there. He'd be wearing a tux, his hair would probably be neat, and his face would be smooth with a fresh shave...so basically, the man would look like a god.

"By doing that," Randi stated blatantly. "Looking at the clock every two seconds and tapping your foot like you've got someplace to go."

He looked away from the clock and stopped tapping his foot. "Maybe I do have someplace to go."

"Yeah right," Randi scoffed, looking back to the magazine she had been flipping through while trying to figure out what color nail polish would look best with the outfit she was wearing tomorrow. "What, do you have another date or something?"

"Maybe," Dave replied with a smile, turning away from her as he began to do his chart review again. He rolled his chair back a bit and leaned over, throwing the chart he had been previously working on into his finished pile. Just a zillion-and-one more to go and he'd be finished, he'd be out of here and at the Carter family mansion. He seriously considered taking a cab, leaving his bike here, but then he knew it would most likely get stolen. And then he got an idea. "Abby!"

His former medical student looked up from the chart she had been looking over to make sure the doctor had signed the release form, and saw Dave smiling at her. She knew that smile. She knew it meant he was up to something. He stood and crossed the admin area, keeping that smile on his face.

"Abby, how are you?" he asked, putting his arm around her shoulder and leading her away from Randi's listening ears.

"I'm fine, Dave," she said, wary of his intentions of this conversation. "How are you?"

"Just fine," he replied, then they stood in a secluded part of the ER, away from any eavesdroppers. "Listen, I was wondering if you could do me a favor."

"I'm not sleeping with you, Malucci," she immediately said.

"It's not that kind of favor, but I'm flattered that you were thinking of it," he said with a sly smile.

"What kind of favor?"

"A small one," he replied holding his index finger and thumb about an inch away from each other to indicate just how small.

"I thought I just said that I wasn't sleeping with you."

"Ha, ha," Dave said, smiling sarcastically. "Do you have a car?"

She narrowed her eyes. "For what reason do you need it?"

"Well..." Upon his hesitant reply, she started walking away. It was for something illegal, she knew it had to be for something illegal. He followed her, close behind. "Wait! Abby! Carter's family threw a party to congratulate him on the Chief Resident thing, and he asked me to go because he wanted a friend there 'cause he doesn't really dig these family get- togethers..." He sighed, realizing he was rambling and getting nowhere. "So it's a pretty long bike ride there, and I was just wondering if I could hitch my bike to the back of your car and you could drop me off, that's all. Nothing illegal, I swear."

She looked skeptical. "I don't think your bike could hitch onto the back of my car. It's not that kind of car."

"I'm sure we could fit it in the trunk," he said, wrapping his arm around her once more, that charming smile returning, lighting up the whole room. "Then we could just use some string to tie the trunk down so it won't fly up when you drive. Nothing wrong with a friend giving a friend a ride to another friend's house, right?"

"What's in it for me?" she asked, still unsure about the idea.

"Anything," he replied desperately. God, this Abby was a quick one. He was hoping she wouldn't ask for anything in return, but everything had its price. He'd trained her well. "Whenever you need a favor, just ask. Doesn't matter what it is."

"Really?" Abby asked, cocking an eyebrow. "Anything?"

"Anything."

"Then you've got yourself a deal," she said, holding out her hand. He shook it, sealing his fate, already regretting what he'd just said.

-------------------------------------

Faith makes everybody scared

It's the unknown, the don't know

That keeps me hanging on and on and on to you

-------------------------------------

Dave exited the bathroom stall, checking his watch as he approached the sink counters of the public bathroom of the hospital. Good, it was only fifteen minutes past six o'clock, though he wasn't sure why that mattered because he didn't need to be there at a certain time. He supposed it was because more time spent here meant less time spent with John.

Glancing into the mirror, he quickly looked himself over, running his fingers through his hair in an attempt to tame the long locks. He found himself contemplating over whether he should cut it or leave it in this style, but left that idea at the back of his mind, knowing he might as well not bother thinking about it now because he could do nothing about it at this moment. Standing back, he straightened out his tie and then smoothed out his shirt and jacket, and then looked himself over. And he smiled. He looked good. Damn good.

But what would John think? Did he look good enough for *John* to think he looked good? Would John even give him a second glance? Or would he turn his attention to all those rich bachelorettes at the party? John wasn't that shallow, was he? Fuck...why did everything have to be so complicated?

Leaning his hands against the sink counter, he lowered his head and let out a deep breath in an attempt to calm his nerves. He looked up at himself from under his brow and licked his lips, then bit his lower one. Sticking his hand into his pocket because he was too smart to leave them off of him, where they could be easily found, Dave pulled out the amphetamines that he still had left from when that kid had come into the ER. They would give him a pick-me-up and settle his nerves... But were they worth it? Dave asked himself.

"Malucci!" he suddenly heard, followed by a pounding. He jumped instinctively, quickly closing his fist around the pills and putting them back inside of his pocket. Without warning, the door burst open, and Abby stood in the doorway, her arms crossed over her chest. "Are we leaving tonight or tomorrow? I'm still on my shift, you know, and I don't want to get into trouble for leaving to give you a ride."

"In a minute!" he snapped, closing the bathroom door on her. What, was she on the rag or something? *God*. Letting out another deep breath, this one now a sigh, he checked himself over one more time in the mirror before exiting the restroom to see Abby standing there, her arms still crossed over her chest. "Okay."

Rolling her eyes, Abby walked out of the ER bay doors with Dave by her side, some of the mouthy nurses such as Chuny and Haleh whistling and catcalling good-humoredly at the doctor in the tuxedo. Dave smiled to himself, waving over his shoulder at them, and soon they were in Abby's sedan, waiting for it to warm up before they headed off.

"You know, Dave," Abby said as she turned in her seat to look out her back window to back out of her parking space. He turned to her, raising his eyebrows expectantly. "You really clean up pretty good."

-------------------------------------

Got nothing left to defend

No I cannot pretend...that everything makes sense

But does it really matter now?

If I do not know how...to figure this thing out

-------------------------------------

"Oh my God," Dave said as they drove up the Carter family's estate in Abby's car. He couldn't see all of it in the darkness, but he knew it had to be even bigger than what was in plain sight. "Jesus, I knew Carter was rich, but..."

"I suddenly feel uncomfortable in my sedan," Abby muttered. The mansion had about three floors, and Dave knew there had to be an attic and a basement. He was suddenly embarrassed that John had seen his quite rundown apartment. Compared to this estate, Dave's place had to look like a roach motel. "Where's the front door anyway?"

"I don't know, I've never been here before," Dave replied, still looking at the awesome house in front of him. He couldn't wait to get inside and see the place; there had to be lots of rooms with all kinds of fancy things inside. Most of all, he couldn't wait to get inside to see John. "I guess I could just pick one..."

"Everyone's over there," Abby said, pointing to indicate two large doors that were exposed by a porch light. There were several people near the doors, some leaving and some just arriving. "I guess that's where he wants you."

Dave was hardly able to compress his smile at Abby's choice of words. That's where he wants you. He thought of all the places that they must be able to do it in that house. A living room, a sitting room, a den, the kitchen...bedrooms, there had to be as many bedrooms in there as there were in that chart review he was told to do today. He could feel a pressure growing in his pants and leaned forward quickly.

"Dave, what are you doing?" Abby asked as she parked the car near where the rest of the hordes of cars were parked. She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Are you getting sick?"

"No, I'm just..." - he thought up an excuse quickly - "I'm tying my shoe."

"Oh," she said, relieved that he wasn't sick. She didn't need him throwing up in her car. "You can get out here, I guess."

"Thanks for the ride, Abby," Dave said gratefully. Without her it probably would've taken him a million years to get here. At least it would've felt like a million years. "I really appreciate it."

"No problem," she said. She stuck a thumb over her shoulder. "Don't forget your bike."

Dave suddenly felt embarrassed that he even had brought it here. Surely, the Carter family would think he was some sort of cheap, lower class loser, bringing a bicycle to a big fancy party like this. Come on, the house had to be worth more than everything he'd ever bought in his whole life put together! Abby glanced at him when he didn't leave the car, raising her eyebrows. She knew when Dave was thinking, and she usually didn't like the outcome.

"Abby, can you do me another favor?"

"Absolutely not," she replied, shaking her head. She looked at him. He was giving her that pouty look that she hated because she knew she couldn't resist it. She quickly looked away from him. "Stop it. Don't give me that look. Just take your bike and get out."

"Please?" he asked, and when she glanced back at him again she could see that he was now pushing out his bottom lip and looking at her with hope in his eyes.

She let out a dramatic sigh and rolled her eyes. "What is it this time?"

"Can you just, kinda, sorta...keep my bike for me for a day or two?" he asked. She immediately started protesting, but he promptly cut her off. "Abby, what kind of guy would I look like bringing a bike to this kind of party? Honestly! You can't expect me to lug that thing inside and park it in the living room, do you??"

She thought that over. It did make sense. "Fine. But now you owe me twice! Don't think I'm letting you off that easy."

"Thank you, Abby. You're my savior," Dave said, grinning his most winning smile. He hopped out of the car and closed the door, then walked up the path provided to the front door. He stepped inside and was immediately awestruck. Never before had he seen anything this fancy and elegant. High ceilings, plush carpets, expensive furniture - his utmost fantasies were all located in this house, he knew that right now and hadn't even seen the whole place. Now all he had to do was find John amongst tons of people in this huge house.

"Excuse me, but you look lost," Dave heard. He turned to see an older woman with dark hair, wearing a black party dress and diamonds. She immediately struck him as significant, but he wasn't sure why; she just had an air of importance surrounding her. "Can I help you?"

"Yes," he replied, smiling warmly. He stuck out his hand. "I'm Dr. Dave Malucci, a friend of John's."

"I'm Mrs. Carter, his mother," Eleanor Carter replied, but didn't make a move to even shake hands with Dave. Dave wasn't quite sure what to do with his hands now, so he stuck them into the pockets of his slacks. He could feel the pills still in there, but was determined not to take them now. He'd only take them if he needed to. Needed to? *Needed* to?? God, Malucci, he thought to himself. What are you thinking?? Needed to...

"Could you, perhaps, tell me where I could find him?" he asked, his warm smile turning to a strained one.

"He's in the gardens," she simply replied, her eyes traveling the length of Dave's body. He could clearly see the distaste in them, as if it were incredulous that John would invite one of his friends to a party - especially a friend like *him*. Mrs. Carter indicated to her right. "Just go through the kitchen and out the backdoor."

"Thanks," Dave said, but he only received a twitch at the corner of her mouth that he assumed to be a smile, though it could've been nothing more than just that: a twitch. She walked away from him, her stride steady and her chin held high. He followed her with his eyes, and once he felt it was safe to move, he quickly headed for the backyard.

-------------------------------------

And I am falling into grace

To the unknown

To where you are

And...

-------------------------------------

John was staring up at the stars again, Gamma having left him to return to the party and mingle. He could see several stars, but couldn't make out any constellations. They were probably on the other side of the house, but even if he went to look he doubt he'd see anything. He was never any good at astronomy. His brother probably would've known; hell, he probably would've been able to name every star. Bobby had always had a knack for this kinda stuff.

Sometimes John wished that Bobby hadn't died of leukemia, and that he was still here to help his little brother out, especially when he was facing the problems around him - and within him - alone. John wondered what sort of advice Bobby would be giving him right now, if he had chosen to speak with him about what had happened just a week ago between himself and Dave Malucci. Bobby was always good with advice, and John liked to think that his older brother would've given him some sort of guidance, help him out with what to do. God, he missed his brother.

But even so, there were other times when John would scorn his brother, hating him for dying and creating their current mess of a family. John's mother had lived in a bubble since Bobby's death, sometimes pretending it never happened and other times thinking it was her fault. And now his father was being dragged down with her. John made a mental note to speak to his father about this soon, while the man was in town.

"Is this seat taken?" he suddenly heard from next to him. John startled for the second time tonight, turning his head sharply to see Dave Malucci standing next to him, a bright smile on the Resident's face. John shook his head, then watched the younger man sit down next to him - close, but not too close. John found himself looking over Dave - but not checking him out, John was *not* checking him out - and finding that the younger man cleaned up well. He looked absolutely beautiful - beautiful? No, John didn't think that males were beautiful...Dave just looked good... Good? He looked okay, Dave looked *okay* in the tuxedo.

Dave put on a knowing smile, and then, placing an elbow on the top of the bench, turned slightly to look at the party going on quite a distance behind them. "I'm not sure, but isn't this *your* party?"

"Yes," John said, finding a smile on his face as well. John glanced at the party behind them briefly before turning back to Dave. "I don't really like these things."

"Come on," Dave said, turning away from the party to face the woods. "What's not to like? Champagne and food, music..."

"Yeah, but you haven't lived with this your whole life," John reminded him sourly, having been sick of this whole scene a long time ago.

"No, I haven't," Dave said with raised eyebrows, a no-shit-Sherlock grin on his face. His grin turned into smug one. "If I *had*, then I'd be the one sitting here in a tux that I owned."

John couldn't help but break into a smile. "How did that go?" he asked, meaning when Dave had gone down to the tuxedo rental store.

"It was...interesting," Dave said, nodding slightly, glancing at John in his peripheral vision. John watched Dave as the Junior Resident looked up at the night sky, his eyes dancing from star to star. They stopped, focusing on a certain star, and then traveled to a particular part of the sky. "There's the Little Dipper."

"Where?" John asked, and Dave raised his arm to point to a cluster of stars. John leaned forward, squinting slightly, but his eyes only saw a bunch of stars, not a constellation. "I don't see it."

"It's right there," Dave said, leaning towards John as he continued to point to it, as if to get the view from John's vantage point so the Chief Resident could find it better. John nodded as he saw it, then looked at Dave just as the younger man looked at him, and only then did he realize just how close they were to each other at that specific time. Dave's eyes searched John's, almost the same way they had searched the sky. But at least when they were searching they sky, John knew what they were looking for...so what were they looking for now? Before he could find out, John quickly leaned back in his seat, daring a sideways glance at Dave, but only saw him look back up to the stars.

John looked to the stars as well, then back to Dave, who was still intently watching the sky. He felt like he had to say something, anything, to bring them out of this silence before it became uncomfortable. "I never thought of you as the kind of guy interested in astronomy."

"There's a lot you don't now about me, Carter," Dave simply stated, throwing them back into silence once more. Damn it. John hoped he hadn't offended Dave. But before he could apologize, or even ask if he had, Dave looked away from the stars and to John, then smiled briefly, as if to brush it off. "You're pretty alone out here."

"Yeah," John replied, nodding.

"I couldn't find you before," Dave said, looking back at John. "I had to ask several people where you were, including Mom."

"You met my mother," John said, raising his eyebrows.

Dave's smile returned. "She was..." - he searched for the right word - "interesting too."

-------------------------------

Faith makes everybody scared

It's the unknown, the don't know

That keeps me hanging on and on and on to you

-------------------------------

"I don't mean to be intrusive..." They both turned to see John's grandmother standing behind them, indicating the mansion. "But the dining ceremonies are about to begin."

" 'Dining ceremonies?' " Dave asked, turning away from John's grandmother to glance at him, snickering.

"Thanks, Gamma," John said, ignoring Dave's comment but shooting him a glare. He hoped Dave didn't joke about anything else, especially things he wanted to keep quiet. He stood, and Dave stood as well, smoothing out his tuxedo and pulling on it, hardly used to wearing anything of that sort. "We'll be right there."

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?" she asked, looking from John to his companion, who immediately smiled at her. She'd never seen this handsome young man before, and it was nice that John was bringing his friends to the mansion, but she couldn't help but notice something off about John's mood with him present. His demeanor showed his slight nervousness and something else, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. But she did know that whatever was going on with John, it had something to do with this man.

"Oh, right," John said hastily. He indicated Dave. "This is Dr. Malucci, I work with him at the hospital." Now, he indicated Gamma. "This is my grandmother."

"Nice to meet you, Dr. Malucci," she said, extending her hand to shake his as he smiled warmly at her. He seemed like a nice young man, and she wondered what could possibly be going on between the two. Perhaps they were good friends and had gotten into a fight over a patient at work, and now him coming here was awkward.

"Nice to meet you too. Please call me, Dave," Dave replied, keeping his smile. Unlike John's mother, Dave could see no contempt and general hatred towards the world in her eyes, and he knew right away that he liked her.

"We'd better be going," John said, his rush displaying in his actions as he led them towards the house. They crossed the gardens to the mansion's patio entrance, and stepped inside the house, but John quickly grabbed Dave's arm before the younger man could move any further. "Will you be all right by yourself?"

"Don't worry. I'll behave," Dave replied, smiling. He looked away from John, waving to a woman he'd bumped into while looking for John. "I'll just go mingle with the senator's daughter."

One frustrated sigh later, John was sitting with his family in the large dining hall, trying to keep himself occupied by creating a sugar cube pyramid. He couldn't help but think of what Dave had said. The senator's daughter? Okay, so he knew that Dave was attracted to both men and women, but just hearing a comment like that somehow upset John, but he wasn't sure in what way or why. It wasn't like they were in a relationship, or anything like that. For God's sake, John thought to himself. You're straight!

Hours later, the dinner was over and the guests were thinning out, as it was getting rather late and his grandparents would be leaving soon on their annual fall trip to the mountains. John was standing in the dining room, shaking people's hands and giving the wives kisses on the cheek, realizing that he didn't even know most of these people. He craned his neck to see over the crowd, searching for Dave, wondering where on Earth the man could've gone off to. John had spotted him once during the dinner - sitting next to the senator's daughter, who, from what it looked like, had taken a liking to the charming young man - but after that, he hadn't seen the man again.

Excusing himself from the crowd, John stepped out of the dining hall and into the corridor, glancing to his left and right before hearing voices coming from the den. Maybe Dave had decided to explore the house and was in there. Moving down the hallway, John stopped before the den and pushed open the door, only to find his father sitting inside, watching the stock market calculations on television. Before he could be seen, John quickly tried to duck out.

"John?" Too late.

"I was looking for one of my friends," he said, leaning against the doorway.

"Which one?" Jack Carter asked, putting the television on mute and turning towards his son.

"Dr. Malucci," John replied, and then when he saw his father's brow creased in thought: "I don't think you met him. I asked him to attend the party. I work with him."

"Oh," his father said, nodding. Jack stood, stretching out his tall figure while glancing at the television's figures once more before shutting it off. He turned towards his son, staring down at him. "Well, I'd better be going. Your mother is probably ready to go."

"Go?" John asked. "You aren't going to stay with us?"

"No, no," Jack replied, shaking his head. "Your mother wants to stay at a hotel."

"Do you have to do everything Mom wants?" John suddenly asked, causing his father to shoot him a slightly angered look. John sighed, looking away before looking back up at his father. "Look, Dad, we both know Bobby isn't coming back. Mom can live in her bubble, but that doesn't mean you do too."

Father stared at son for a few moments, the latter's searching the former's. John thought he'd finally gotten through to his father. Bobby wasn't coming back, no matter how much his mother Eleanor tried to ignore the fact that he'd died and everything wasn't as it used to be. And Jack had been dragged into that all these years, dragged into a surreal happiness that only existed in Eleanor's mind

But, suddenly, Jack grabbed his jacket off of the couch and threw it over his shoulder, patting his son on the shoulder before brushing past him to leave the room. "I'll see you in a few days, John. We'll stop by before we leave for England."

"Right," John replied as he clenched his jaw, unable to make eye contact with his father. Then he muttered bitterly under his breath: "Maybe Bobby will stop by too."

"What?" Jack asked, before leaving.

"Nothing, Dad," John said, shaking his head. "Absolutely nothing."

-------------------------------------

I'm against myself again

Trying to fit these pieces in

Walking on a cloud of dust to get to you

-------------------------------------

"This has to be the best martini I've ever tasted," Dave commented as he held up his glass to Corrine, the maid of the Carter family mansion, in a toasting manner before bringing it to his lips. Dave had long ago abandoned the party to explore the house when John had left him to eat with his family during the dinner, and wandering into the kitchen, the Junior Resident had found the maid drinking martinis by herself, eating a small plate of food, obviously feeling as if she didn't belong at the party either. Feeling the same way, Dave had decided to join her. He smiled at his companion. "You sure know how to make 'em good."

"Thank you," she replied, before taking a drink from her own glass. She placed it back down on the table they were sitting at, then stood to cross the room to the refrigerator. She turned back to Dave, a smile on her lips, and he could tell she was a little tipsy from the alcohol. "You should try these leftovers from a few days ago. I made chicken cutlets, John's favorite, and - if I do say so myself - it was the best yet!"

Dave smiled. "Bring it on."

Within minutes, they were eating chicken cutlets and drinking martinis, conversing about a childhood encounter of John's. Corrine was slapping her knee in fits of laughter as she retold the story. "You should've seen his face when he realized his mother was standing right behind him! The poor boy, Bobby had set him up!"

"Bobby's his brother?" Dave asked through a smile and a mouthful chicken. Corrine nodded as she placed her hand to her heart, trying to calm herself down. "Where is he now?"

Her expression suddenly turned solemn, and she let out a sigh as she briefly looked away before looking back up to Dave. "He died when they were just boys. He had leukemia. His mother took it the worst; to this day she still isn't the same." Corrine paused, looking away once more as tears sprung to her eyes. Dave held out a napkin to her, and she took it gratefully as she blew her nose with it. "Thank you. You know, the whole family died when Bobby did."

Dave opened his mouth to express some sort of condolence when they heard John's voice wafting through the hallway. "Corrine?" they heard him call as he entered the room. "Have you seen...?" He paused in his step as he saw the younger man sitting with his maid, drinking martinis and eating his favorite dinner. "Dave. What are you doing in here?"

"I got lonely all by myself at your party so I came in here to find Corrine feeling the same way," he replied as he indicated his companion, smiling broadly, with hint of mischief in his eyes. John approached the table, his eyes narrowed in puzzlement. "I don't know what kind of party you're having out there, but in here..." He broke off as he tapped the table with one finger, raising the martini to his lips as he took another drink.

"Actually, the party's over," John said, and Dave turned to glance at the clock behind him, noting how late it had gotten. John turned towards his maid and Dave's new friend. "They need you out there to go clean up, and then you can head on home. The staff's getting the weekend off."

"Are you sure?" Corrine asked as she stood, smoothing her uniform out. John nodded, and smiled sheepishly as the older woman began to straighten out his bowtie. "You can make it by yourself?"

"Yes, Corrine," he replied, brushing away her hands. "I used to live by myself, remember?"

"Only for a year or two," she replied. She began to clean up when Dave started picking up the dishes himself. "Nonsense! I'm still the maid for now, leave it be!"

"Don't worry about it," Dave said, waving her off as he continued to collect dishes. "You've got the rest of the house to do, I can do this. I helped make the mess, at least let me clean it up."

"Alright, fine," she said, raising her hands up in the air in mock- surrender. She then winked at Dave, saying: "Now if only John could find a woman like you. You don't happen to have a sister, do you?"

"Sorry, Corrine," Dave said, compressing his smile, "but I'm an only child."

"What a pity," Corrine said sadly, before straightening out Dave's tuxedo. "The world could use more people like you. Well, I guess if John can't marry your sister, then you're next in line, aren't you?"

Oh, dear God! John's hand flew to his forehead as he closed his eyes, pure horror written all over his face. If that wasn't the most embarrassing thing Corrine could suggest, he didn't know what was. He felt the heat rise in his cheeks as he blushed deeply, and he quickly turned away from the two, busying himself with the dishes.

Dave glanced at John, then whispered theatrically to the maid, amusement in both of their eyes. "I think we're embarrassing him."

Suddenly, a dish dropped to the floor, shattering. John glanced up, his face still red with humiliation. "Sorry," he said, a self-conscious smile on his face.

"I better be going now," Corrine said. She moved to John and kissed his cheek, and then crossed the room to leave. But not before giving Dave a kiss on his own cheek. The Junior Resident smiled broadly. "It was so nice meeting you, Dave, you are such a nice young man. John, I'll see you on Monday morning then." She quickly left the room, but suddenly popped back in briefly, indicating the shards of the dish on the floor. "Oh, and the broom is in the closet. Goodnight, boys!"

"'Night, Corrine!" Dave called to the older woman. He suddenly heard John let out a string of obscenities, and when he turned he could see the Chief Resident cradling a bloody hand as he knelt before the dishes. Dave approached him, his hands tucked leisurely into his slacks' pockets. "I think that's why Corrine told you where the broom was, Carter."

"You think?" John spat as he stood. He immediately glanced apologetically at Dave for snapping at him, but the younger man seemed unaffected by it, and was instead turning on the sink.

"Hold it under the water for a bit and then let me look at it," Dave instructed, and John did as he was told, allowing the water to rinse away the blood before Dave took John's hand in his and inspected what damage the older man had done.

"Do you think I need sutures?" John asked as he watched Dave examine his hand, the Junior Resident's brow creased in concentration as his eyes moved over the laceration on his palm.

"No, just a Band-Aid," Dave said, shaking his head. He looked up at his companion with a small smile, and only then did John realize just how close they were standing to each other. John immediately pulled his hand out of Dave's and took a few steps back, and he couldn't help but notice how crushed the resident looked right now. Dave turned away from John, picking up a dishtowel and tossing it to him. "Here. Put pressure on it to stop the bleeding."

"Good thing you're a doctor," John said, smiling. Wait a second. Am I flirting? John asked himself silently. He quickly put more distance between them, but this time more subtly than he had before by sitting down on the stool Dave had occupied moments earlier. "Thanks."

"No problem," Dave said, shrugging. The younger man crossed the room to the table, where John was sitting. "That's my seat, you know."

"Is it?" John asked, looking up at him. Dave nodded. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Take it," he replied, but made no move towards him.

"When?" John asked, after seeing that the younger man wasn't coming towards him.

"Right now."

"Well, I don't see you doing anything."

Dave approached John, but stood to his side, leaning his elbows on the countertop. He looked up at John, brown eyes meeting brown. "John, what are we doing?" he asked, and the older man immediately realized that Dave had called him by his first name, and not his last. "We both know how stupid this is. Why can't you just admit that you're attracted to me?"

"You say that with such conviction," John said, looking down at the countertop.

Dave leaned forward and forced John to make eye contact with him, unwilling to let John avoid the topic any longer. Then he whispered quietly, "That's because I know it's true."

John suddenly stood, moving quickly from the room. "You can have your seat back."

"I don't want it," Dave said, going after him.

"Then what do you want?" John asked, still walking from the room.

"This!" Dave exclaimed, grabbing John's arm and allowing the older man's own momentum to swing him around to face him, and Dave took that opportunity to kiss John full on the lips, taking each side of the Chief Resident's face in his hands. The older man placed an open palm on Dave's chest and pushed him back, separating them, and Dave let out a frustrated sigh, looking at John with desperation. "Why won't you let this happen?"

"Stop it, Dave."

"No," Dave simply replied.

"Yes."

"No!" Dave said, shaking his head, grabbing the front of John's shirt and pulling John towards him, pulling him into another kiss. At first, the older man fought the kiss, trying to get out of Dave's grasp, but soon, the older man was giving in to it, even kissing him back. Then, suddenly, John pulled away, and Dave looked at him in distress. "What is it now?"

"One of the servants might see us," John said. The last thing he needed was for one of his nosy maids to see them and report this to his parents, making him the Carter family embarrassment in their eyes.

"So what do you suggest we do?" Dave asked, beginning to become impatient. He swore if one more thing interrupted what he wanted to do he would scream. Meanwhile, John looked at Dave, his mouth open as if to say something, but he couldn't get the words out. Was he really ready for this? Was he really ready to let another man take his body in the way he'd only let a woman do previously? "John? Do you want to go back to my place or something?"

"No, Dave," he quickly replied, breaking from his thoughts. He wasn't going to delay this any further. He was going to find out if he was ready for this. And he was going to find out right now. "Let's go to my bedroom."

-------------------------------

And I am falling into grace

To the unknown

To where you are

And...

-------------------------------

John Carter closed his bedroom door quietly behind him, but not before checking to make sure no one was out in the hallway. His grandmother and grandfather had gone out on their trip to the mountains, his parents had insisted on staying at a hotel, and the servants had the weekend off, but one could never tell if someone had decided to come back because they'd forgotten something, or - in the case of the servants - stay because they wanted to sleep in. Turning towards his companion, John was surprised as he felt Dave suddenly wrap his arms around him, and then proceed to kiss him senseless.

John opened his mouth, allowing Dave's tongue to join his own, and sucked on it gently, giving him an idea of what his mouth could do. Sure, John had never given a male oral sex, but it didn't mean he couldn't try. He felt Dave chuckle into the kiss, knowing what John was hinting at, and then pulled his tongue back into his mouth, John's immediately following it. He felt Dave gently bite down on his tongue, sending a chill up and down his spine. God, at this point, John believed that this guy could do anything, and with assured confidence and no hesitation, that was for sure - one of the things that John had always liked about Dave.

They moved back and turned, their bodies pressed against each other, both men feeling the pressure in the other's pants. John felt the back of his legs hit the tall bed, and let himself sit down on it, pulling Dave on top of him so that the younger man was straddling him between his legs as they continued their make-out session.

Unexpectedly, John felt Dave slowly rocking his hips against him. It was somehow erotic, probably because it was something John had never done to a woman when they still had their clothes on, and it made John even harder than he was now. John had a feeling that a lot of unexpected things would be happening tonight, and he had a feeling that he'd like those things too.

He felt rather than saw Dave shrug off his tuxedo jacket because his eyes were closed, and then he hastily removed his own, throwing it to the side and allowing it to land wherever it wanted to. Dave then, apparently, took it upon himself to take off John's shirt. He felt Dave unbuttoning each button slowly, whether to tease John or just because he sucked at unbuttoning, who knew, but John was so horny he wanted this done faster, so he began helping him, starting from the bottom buttons. Once his shirt was undone, Dave pushed it off of his shoulders with experienced hands, and pushed it off of the bed, where his own shirt soon joined it. They still hadn't parted lips, and it would be a feat to remove their undershirts around their kiss, so John broke away suddenly, pulling his undershirt over his head with one fluent movement. Dave soon did the same, revealing a tanned, well-toned chest, just as hairless as his companion's.

Glancing up at Dave's face, he could see the younger man licking his swollen lips in anticipation, a naughty smile coming to his face. John felt a smile come to his own face as Dave placed both of his hands on John's shoulders, and then pushed him backwards so that he fell onto the bed. Dave then lay on top of him, kissing his neck and even nipping it playfully before traveling back to John's mouth, where his lips were once more ravaged by the younger man's. He heard Dave kick off his shoes, and then promptly did the same with his own, awkwardly reaching out blindly to remove his socks just as Dave did the same.

Once that was out of the way, Dave sat back and began to unbuckle John's belt, unbuttoning his pants and then pulling down his fly to reveal black silk boxers and a definite tent in the fabric that could only be made from one organ and one organ alone. When he saw Dave smile widely, John suddenly reached out and took Dave's wrists in his hands, stopping the man from going any further.

"Dave," he breathed, his respiration fast and coming in quick bursts during the heat of the moment. Dave looked down into John's brown eyes, seeing the concern in them. "You know I've never done this before...what are you expecting?"

"Nothing," Dave replied softly, leaning down to place a gentle kiss on John's mouth. "I'm expecting nothing from you, John. Same rules as a few weeks ago: we don't do anything you don't want to. Just say the word, and we'll stop."

"Are you sure?" John asked, but all he got in reply was another kiss, this one hard and passionate, driving John crazy. He momentarily thought how much Dave must be experienced at this, and was somehow reassured that at least he was going to do this with someone who knew what they were doing. John broke away from the kiss, breathing hard into Dave's ear. "I want you to fuck me, Dave. God, just do it."

Dave only smiled a genuine smile that hadn't made an appearance in weeks - and, God, what a beautiful smile it was - as he leaned back once more, and stood briefly to remove his own pants before throwing them to the floor with the other clothes. Then, he bent over the bed to pull John's pants down, tossing them behind him carelessly. Finally, all that was left was John's boxers. Dave smiled that naughty smile again as he hooked his fingers around the elastic band of the boxers and pulled them down and off of his body, revealing John in all of his glory. His eyes traveled over the length of the older man's body in appreciation as his smile faded slowly, hovering over his semi-erect cock a little longer then the other body parts. Finally, Dave's eyes traveled back up to John's as he regained his smile, and then he bent over to slide his own boxers down to the floor, kicking them off to mingle with the other garments.

John now allowed his own eyes to travel over the younger man's. From his broad shoulders to his well-toned chest and down to the soft hairs below his waist and those strong legs from years of bicycling to and from work and wherever else it was that he went, David Malucci's tanned body was almost perfect. The only flaws he had were a few prominent scars that John knew were from medical procedures because he was a doctor: a scar on his left flank due to a chest tube, one on his pectorals due to a central line...amongst others. The only thing that was left unknown was where they had come from, and maybe John would find out someday, in due time. But for now, they were left unsaid, quite simply ignored because both men wanted them to be.

John outstretched his arms to Dave, who took his hands in his own, and then the older man pulled him back onto the bed, on top of him. Their bodies lie against each other, and they were once again drawn into a kiss as they turned onto their sides, wrapping their arms around each other and allowing their hands to explore each other's bodies. John could feel Dave's hand moving down his back and to his side, finding the scars there left from years ago and tracing them with his fingertips gently, almost lovingly. John moved his own hands over Dave's chest and around his side to the small of his back, only hesitating briefly before moving lower...lower.

Dave suddenly pulled away, sitting up. "What is it?" John asked, alarmed.

"We can't do this dry," Dave replied, hopping off of the bed. John gave him a puzzled glance, urging Dave silently to elaborate, but the younger man was looking around the room, and when he turned back to John, he caught the confused expression. "Lubricant. We need some kind of lubricant."

"I..." John said, wracking his brain to think of where he could have any, and shrugging when he came up with nothing. "I don't have any."

"Do you have any lotion?" Dave asked, his eyes traveling to an open door that led to an adjoining bathroom. Without waiting for a response, Dave quickly ran into the room. He glanced inside the shower, briefly considering using the conditioner that was sitting on the small shelf, but something didn't settle right with that option. He'd immediately thought of Luka's and his encounter in the shower a few weeks ago upon seeing it, and he didn't want to be thinking about that while fucking John. "Lotion, John?"

"Maybe," he heard from the bedroom. "Check the mirror."

"The mirror?" Dave asked himself as he glanced into it, catching his reflection in the glass. Recognition crossed his face as he realized what John meant, and he pulled open the mirror door to reveal a small medicine cabinet. Inside was a large bottle of body lotion. Dave immediately smiled; they could have all the sex they wanted with that thing. He picked it up and crossed the threshold into the bedroom once more, moving towards the bed. "Got it."

Staring at the bottle of lotion in Dave's hand, John thought, Shit. This was really going to happen. This was really going to happen, right now, at this time. Right now. But he had no idea what to do. "How exactly are we going to do this?" John asked as he scooted over to let Dave sit down next to him. "I mean...do I lay on my stomach or something?"

Man, the guy really *was* a novice with this, wasn't he? But Dave compressed his smile; he didn't want John to think he was making fun of him and scare him off, when all he was doing was smiling at how cute John was right now. That was the last thing he needed because, God, he'd wanted this for so long.

"Let's just see how it goes," Dave said, moving on top of John and enveloping his lips with his own as he wrapped his strong arms around the older man. While doing this, Dave managed to squeeze some of the lotion into his hand, and rubbed it between his hands before moving them down between their two bodies to wrap it around John's and his own cock in an attempt to get them harder than the half-masts they were at now. He began to tug and twist gently, pumping one cock in each hand, and was pleased when he heard a moan escape from John's lips as the older man started bucking his hips against his hand.


With his own cock lubricated, the only thing left to do was get John's ass ready. Squeezing more lotion onto his hand while John was distracted by Dave masturbating him, he moved his hand between John's legs to cup his balls briefly before moving behind them, right to John's pucker. Very gently and slowly, he slid one finger inside John, who immediately let out a gasp when he realized what was going on. Dave looked at John expectantly, and John nodded to show that he was doing fine and to continue. Without hesitation, Dave began pulling his finger in and out, stretching him enough to fit two fingers. Suddenly, a mischievous smile came to Dave's face, and John narrowed his eyes in suspicion just as a jolt of pleasure was sent through is body.

"God!" John exclaimed as his eyes went wide and his breath came in short bursts, his heart ramming in his chest. "How did you do that?"

Dave just smiled, continuing to sweep his fingers over John's prostate every time he entered, sending small orgasms through John each time he touched his sweet spot. John could already feel himself about to go over the edge with all of the sensations Dave was sending through is body at once. Kissing and touching and pumping and whatever-the-hell-it-was Dave was doing down there, and it was all driving John crazy.

Realizing this, Dave felt that three fingers was sufficient for John to be ready, so some tact, Dave carefully pulled out his fingers, just as he had been doing, but instead of sliding them back inside of John, he slid in his cock, which, by now, had a raging hard-on. Slowly, with his palms pressed flat against the mattress to hold him up, since he was on top of John, Dave entered John so he wouldn't hurt him, and John looked up at Dave with questioning eyes, as if to ask if what he thought was happening was really happening. Dave smiled as he saw another wave of pleasure sweep over John's face as he once again touched John's sweet spot, and continued to smile each time he swept over it.

After several more moments of this, John said, half-moaning on the first word: "*God*...you could go on all night, couldn't you?"

"Thank those martinis Corrine gave me," Dave said, only thinking about how much more "staying power" he would've had if he'd taken the Dexedrine he had in the pocket of his slacks. Next time, Dave thought to himself. Then: If there even *is* a next time, Malucci.

"Well, whatever it is you're doing," John said, running his hands up Dave's arms and down his chest and abdomen, feeling his muscles under the slickness of his sweaty skin, "just keep doing it."

Quite unexpectedly, Dave felt John's hands close around his wrists, and then raise his arms up so that he could hold the younger man's hands. Clasping hands tightly with John, the older doctor supported Dave, surprisingly being able to bear the younger doctor's weight. This was something Dave had never done with another man while having sex, and it was somehow intimate and arousing at the same time, especially since he was doing it with someone he cared for like this. Closing his eyes, Dave listened to the night air, hearing their harsh breathing and skin moving against skin as he thrust in and out of John slowly, in and out and in and out and, God, John was so tight against his skin, surrounding him and taking him in and never letting go, God, don't ever let me go, Dave thought, his eyes screwed shut.

Throwing his head back, Dave soon felt himself going over the edge, and let go of one of John's hand to pump John in tune with his thrusts, each thrust becoming quicker than the last. "God, you are so tight, John," Dave whispered breathlessly as he felt the tightness of John's ass around him. "God...God...oh, God...oh God oh God oh God...!"

Dave opened his eyes and looked down into John's as he tried to form a sentence, words, anything, but all he could do was utter unintelligible sounds as he came hard and fast, just as John exploded between them, coming on their chests and Dave's hand, which had still been pumping him. Dave gently slid out of John and collapsed against his chest, resting his ear against John's heart, the older man's semen almost gluing them together. Their breathing was hard and uneven, and Dave could barely hear John's heart against his ear because his own was beating so loudly in his chest. Finally, when their breathing became even once more and their heart rates were normal, Dave rolled off of John and lay on his back next to him in bed.

"Can you come up here?" John asked. He was hoping that Dave wouldn't pull out once they were finished, but the younger man had, leaving him suddenly feeling empty without Dave inside of him or touching him. Dave craned his neck back to look up at John and smiled, before turning over again and scooting up towards him. They crawled under the covers, and John turned towards Dave and nuzzled into his chest, being one of those one-in-a- million guys that liked to cuddle after sex. "That's better."

Dave smiled, and then let out a deep yawn as he arched his back with it. "God, John," Dave said, getting comfortable in the bed with him, the warmth of their first night together returning to him. "If tonight was this good, I can't wait to see how you'll be with some practice."

Dave felt John smile as the younger man fell asleep in his arms, and only briefly wondered how different things would be in the morning, and if their relationship would fall into one like his and Luka's was now or had been before, or escalate into what he really wanted: something more.

-------------------------------

Faith makes everybody scared

It's the unknown, the don't know

That keeps me hanging on and on and on to you

-------------------------------
Chapter Eight - Something More by The She Devil
------------------------------- Chapter Eight: Something More -------------------------------

I just opened up my eyes

And let the world come climbing in

It's all better now, things are gonna work somehow

If I just sleep another hour

-------------------------------

No cars could be heard at this peaceful hour of the morning. The sun peeked through the open curtains, bathing everything in a bright yellow glow. The birds that used to migrate south for the winter years ago but now stayed year-round chirped softly at the screen of the windows, which were open. And two men in bed lay sleeping, one on his stomach, snoring softly, the other on his back, silent.

The quiet of the morning was suddenly shattered by an awful beeping sound, sending the birds away from the open window, and David Malucci wouldn't have been surprised if the sun went into hiding too. The annoying alarm clock was probably one of the loudest he'd ever heard, and he briefly wondered if it would leave any permanent damage to his hearing. Lifting his head from the pillow and turning onto his back, Dave glanced at his companion, wondering if the older man was going to shut it off or not. He did a double take when he saw that John was still sleeping soundly.

Unable to take the sound any longer, Dave nudged John in the ribs, calling his name. "John. Get up. Shut off your alarm. John. Shut it off. John. John."

John rolled onto his side, burying his face into his pillow. Why was Dave bothering him at this early hour of the morning? God, the birds weren't even chirping yet. Lifting his head from his pillow, his eyes still halfway closed, John glanced at Dave, who was wide-awake, and wondered just what the hell his problem was. Suddenly realizing that Dave wasn't the only one in the room making noise, John reached over and slapped a hand on top of the alarm clock, silencing it quickly.

"Now, what is it that you want?" John asked, turning back to Dave once that was out of the way.

Dave stared at him for a moment before breaking into a grin, slightly shaking his head. "Forget it."

Turning onto his back once more, John stared at the ceiling, trying to gather his thoughts in his still-barely-awake-half-sleepy mode. Last night, he'd had sex with another man for the first time in his life. But not just any man - Dave Malucci. Dave Malucci, the tough guy of the ER, the lady- killer, the same guy who'd done it in the back of an ambulance with a paramedic he'd just met, the same guy who told off the Chief of the ED on that same day, and the same guy who was - as it seemed - bisexual and interested in him.

Am I *insane*??? John asked himself. And just what was going to happen after this? Were they going to do this again or were they going to go their separate ways? Were they going to become fuck buddies or become...boyfriends? John had always been someone's boyfriend, but he'd never *had* one before. How was it going to be different? Assuming that Dave even wanted that. Assuming that he, himself, wanted that. But right now, he was so confused and mixed up he didn't even know where to begin.

Maybe he should ask Dave. Turning towards his companion, his companion then turned towards him, waiting expectantly. "Dave, we need to talk about this."

"After breakfast?" the younger man asked quickly, in an attempt to delay the inevitable, in an attempt to keep this lasting just a little longer. He knew what was coming, he knew that John was just going to back out again, even if they had gone all the way this time. But maybe during breakfast Dave could convince him otherwise. Hopefully. Possibly. Damn it. "Can we talk about this after breakfast? Please?"

"Okay," John said, after some hesitation, and then pushed back the covers. Standing and stretching, he suddenly winced, feeling an ache from when Dave had penetrated him.

"You okay?" Dave asked, worried when he saw John grimace.

"Yeah...just a little...sore," he replied sheepishly, searching the floor with his eyes, but their clothes were all over the room, and finding his underwear in this mess was going to be impossible.

"Did I hurt you last night?" Dave asked, genuine concern in his eyes. "I didn't mean to if I did. It was the last thing I wanted to do."

"No," John quickly replied, shaking his head. He smiled at Dave, who smiled back. "A little soreness is expected, right?" Turning towards Dave as John reached for his robe, which was haphazardly thrown over the desk chair, he said: "Grab yourself a spare robe from the bathroom closet, and let's go downstairs and make us something to eat."

"Us? And who the hell's got a bathroom closet??" Dave asked as he stepped out of bed himself, taking a moment to stretch as he studied John's naked figure. He was tall and lean, like a model, and Dave could picture him in a pose, with a turtleneck on and some tight-fitting jeans. And he could also picture himself ripping off those jeans and that turtleneck, so before he found himself needing morning "relief," he quickly pushed that thought aside. Dave caught his own eye in the mirror that was attached to the closet door, glancing over his own body as he realized that he was undressed in front of John. Sure, he'd been so last night, but that had been in the darkness, in the heat of passion, and now it was daytime and minds were rational, when John could see the...

John glanced at Dave, who was looking at himself in the mirror. He was about to joke about how vain Dave was when he saw that the younger man wasn't checking himself out, but was almost embarrassed...even unexpectedly shy. Then John Carter noticed exactly why Dave Malucci was examining himself: The scars on his body were deep and clear, and John had noticed them last night, but hadn't noticed just how many there were. God, the things Dave must've gone through to obtain them, the pain he must've felt...

Dave cleared his throat suddenly, and John realized that the younger man had noticed him staring. Both men quickly looked away from the other, and Dave turned, heading towards the bathroom to get the robe before John had the chance to notice any more scars, and hopefully he wouldn't notice the ones that were on his...

John watched as Dave turned and moved into the bathroom, and he flinched as he saw three long slashes across Dave's back. His eyes traveled to the desk chair, where his pants were hanging over, but that wasn't what John was looking at...he was looking at the belt, knowing one just like it could've been the one to bestow those scars upon Dave. And the thought of Dave, a young boy, crying out in pain as his own father beat him with it, was like John getting his heart ripped out of his chest and stomped on.

"Corrine told me about that time you and your brother tried to make your parents breakfast in bed," John suddenly heard Dave call from the bathroom.

John quickly shook the images from his head as he attempted to organize the clothes in an attempt to clear his head. The clothes were scattered all over the bedroom floor, a reminder of the night they'd shared.

"Practically lit the kitchen on fire," Dave was saying.

Picking up what looked like his own shirt, though John couldn't be sure if it was Dave's, the Chief Resident threw it on the bed, and then bent down to pick up Dave's pants.

"*And* you managed to break the stove," he continued.

As John tossed Dave's pants into the bed as well, he heard something, a small noise, and glanced at the floor, only to see two pills bouncing on the floor. Had they fallen out of Dave's pants? John asked himself as he bent down to pick them up. Holding them in the palm of his hand, he could hear Dave talking about sticking to the cooking today, but wasn't listening to what the younger man was saying as he examined the pills, his brow furrowed in concentration. What could Dave possibly be doing with a couple of pills in his pants pocket? And not just any pills, these pills.

"How do you break a stove anyway?" Dave asked as he exited the bathroom, tying the robe around his waist. Dave could see John's back, since the older man was facing away from him, but John turned towards him, staring at something in his hand. Dave tossed him a puzzled glance as John looked up at him from under his brow, and then tilted his hand down to show Dave what he was holding. And Dave felt his heart jump up to his throat. Fuck! How the fuck had John found those pills?? Had he gone through Dave's stuff? What if he knew that those were Dexedrines? Could they pass off as painkillers? Hoping they would, he said as casually as he could: "Painkillers. I hurt my neck during hockey practice."

"These...aren't painkillers," John replied slowly, glancing briefly at the pills in his hand before looking back to Dave, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. John probably wouldn't have recognized what kind of pills these were, because of the various pills that he dealt with everyday, but he'd just given his depressed patient, a woman going to law school and medical school at the same time, the same kind of pills. "They're Dexedrine, Dave."

"No, they're not," Dave replied, shaking his head, hoping he didn't look nearly as nervous as he felt right now. He quickly thought of a painkiller, while also trying to think of how many more were in his pocket. If there were a few more, John might become suspicious and...and what? He couldn't accuse Dave of doing anything, because Dave wasn't doing anything wrong...right? "They're Percocets."

"No, they're not," John said, continuing to argue. He approached Dave, holding out the pills to him to show him. "See? They're Dexedrine."

Dave feigned surprise. "Shit! You're right. I must've grabbed the wrong bottle."

"Did you take any of these earlier?" John asked, hoping that he hadn't. A combination of just two of these pills with all those martinis Dave had had the night before could've caused him to have a reaction to the mix, and even though it obviously hadn't happened, Dave could've unintentionally put his health at risk.

"No," Dave replied quickly, his eyebrows raised. "The Chief noticed that I was, you know, moving kinda stiff and she asked me what was wrong, so I told her that I got hit pretty hard by one of the teammates during hockey. She, uh, gave me a few Percocets and told me to sign out some more if I was still sore, and I...I thought I'd grabbed the Percocets, but I guess I grabbed those by mistake..."

"Really?" John asked. Okay, so John had only been able to recognize them because he'd recently dispensed them to a patient, but...images of Dave in the Lounge the other day flashed through his mind. Images of a depressed and somewhat suicidal Dave... "Did you take the Percocets with alcohol, Dave?"

"No..." Dave quickly shook his head. "I was feeling better after the first two, but I took a couple just in case. And I *do* know a little about medicine, I'm not a complete idiot."

"Dave, I know you're not an idiot," John stated gently, worried that Dave always put himself down. Did he really think that lowly of himself? And most of all: why? "I just want to make sure that you're all right, that's all."

"I'm fine. Just careless, I guess," he said softly, brushing if off with a deceptively casual shrug. He suddenly grew a wry smile. "But, hey, we already knew that right?"

John sighed, giving up trying to get through to Dave for now. "You'd better get these back to the hospital then," he replied, after a moment of silence. "If you signed out Percocets and took the Dexedrine, it'll screw up the inventory list."

"I didn't sign them out," Dave said quietly. He glanced at John's expression of puzzlement, and hastily added: "I didn't have a chance. I was going to do it when I went to work today."

"Oh," John said as he held them out to Dave, the relief Dave was feeling unnoticeable in his expression or body language. Dave had long ago learned to make excuses and lie just as easily, something he'd needed to survive during his childhood, though sometimes it cost him when he was caught. "Just watch out, because if Dr. Weaver finds out you didn't sign these out she's going to give you Hell. And just...be careful."

"What?" Dave asked, quickly sticking the pills back into his slacks. They must've fallen out when John had tossed them onto the bed. But be careful about what?

"When you're playing hockey," John said, smiling good-naturedly at him. Dave really wasn't a morning person, was he? "Come on, let's head downstairs."

"Right," Dave said, nodding as he followed John into the hallway. Shit, that had been way too close, way too fucking close. God, how stupid could he have been, to leave them off of him for that long? He should've taken them at the hospital so John wouldn't have found them in the first place. "Dave. Are you coming?"

Turning back towards his companion, Dave quickly caught up with him, heading down a flight of stairs. He could only vaguely remember the path they had taken in this huge house to get to John's bedroom, so he stayed close to the older man so he wouldn't get lost in the mansion. In a few minutes, they were standing inside the kitchen, though it was clean as opposed to the glasses of martinis left on the counter and broken dish that had been on the floor.

"Did you clean this up, Dave?" John asked, trying to remember if either one of them had the night before.

"No..." Dave replied, as he moved to the refrigerator to see what he could make them for breakfast. "I guess one of the servants did."

"Do you think anyone overheard what we did last night?" John asked, panic flooding his mind. What if one of the staff members *had* overheard? God...

"We weren't that loud..." Dave said, eyeing John, seeing the concern in his eyes and expression. "I don't think anyone overheard anything...why?"

"I mean...someone could tell my grandparents, or my parents even...and if they found out...I don't know what they'd do..." John rambled, running his fingers through his hair in frustration. He looked at Dave again. "You didn't clean this up?"

Dave smiled, reassuringly. "John, don't worry. Why don't you make us some toast and some coffee?" he suggested, trying to get the older man's mind off of the subject.

"Okay..." John said, confidence slowly returning to him. No one could've overheard, and even if they had, they hadn't *seen* anything, so it would be their word against his if they decided to tell anyone, and surely his parents or grandparents would believe their own son and grandson. "I think I can do that."

"Are you sure I can trust you?" Dave joked as he searched the shelves for some breakfast food. He swore there was everything in this refrigerator that he'd ever bought in his whole life put together, that's how big and packed it was. Finally locating the eggs, Dave pulled out a few and cradled them in the crook of his elbow. He pulled open a meat drawer and found some bacon, so he pulled that out to add it to the eggs, along with some butter. Finding the clock on the wall, Dave saw that he had a few hours before work. Perfect. "Think you can drop me off at my apartment in an hour or so? I've got work at ten."

"Sure," John replied, nodding as he stuck the bread in the toaster. He turned to Dave, and watched as the younger man searched the cabinets for cookware. "Pots and pans are over there, and the silverware is over there. So how is it back at work?"

"Fine," Dave said as he pulled out a sufficient pan and placed it on top of the stove. He turned the stove on and placed some butter in the pan, allowing it to melt. "The hospital settled with Paul's parents. So I'm in the clear."

"That's good," John stated, nodding. John's mind suddenly turned to the conversation he'd had with Dave in the Lounge following his suspension. Dave had been upset and close to a breakdown, maybe even close to ending his career...ending his life? John pushed that thought aside quickly, instead turning back to Dave. "Uh...how are you?"

"Fine, how are you?" Dave replied lightly, smiling, pretending not to notice the concern in John's voice. He didn't want to talk about his behavior in the lounge the other day, because he was, frankly, embarrassed that he'd acted in such a way. He'd been a mess, emotionally, and the drugs hadn't helped any, and he didn't want John to think of him like that, wanted to show him that he was okay and everything was fine, even if it wasn't.

So instead of expressing his feelings, something he rarely did to even his own mother, with whom he spoke with and visited often, Dave pretended to concentrate on his cooking. He began to crack the eggs open over the stove and placed the yolks inside the pan, throwing away the shells in a nearby garbage bin. Crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back against the counter, John watched Dave cook, Dave's brow creased in concentration as he mixed the eggs with bacon, cooking everything at once but managing to keep everything separate in the large pan. Suddenly looking up as if remembering something, Dave moved back to the refrigerator and pulled out some milk, pouring it into the eggs.

"Why don't you get the table ready while I do this?" Dave asked.

"Sure," John said, and began pulling out some plates and utensils for them to use. He glanced at Dave from the corner of his eye, knowing the younger man had ignored John's concern over his emotional health. Dave was certainly behaving differently than he had been over the past few weeks, and John briefly wondered if he was the reason. He'd rejected Dave harshly, in his opinion, causing the younger man to become angry and upset, and all because of John. He wondered if he could've saved everyone the trouble and just accepted this rather than push it away. But even now, he wasn't sure if he was ready for this, and he knew when he told Dave, it was going to crush the Junior Resident.

Within minutes, they were sitting on stools at the kitchen counter, eating breakfast and drinking coffee, talking about things such as work and sports, both avoiding the topic of what had happened last night. Finally, when breakfast was over, they sat at the table, still drinking their coffee, waiting for it to happen, waiting for one of them to mention it.

John was the first one brave enough to do it. "Dave..." he started, but couldn't form the right words to continue. Then, finally: "Last night was..."

"Different?" he offered, when John couldn't find the right word.

"Yeah. But it was...good," John stated, looking up at Dave. "But I've never considered this. I don't know what...I...Dave...I don't...God..."

"John," Dave interrupted, saving him from the stuttering mess he'd suddenly become. The younger man looked away, staring at his empty coffee mug. "Look...what happened last night was something that I've wanted to happen for so long. And I may have wanted it so badly that it was a mistake just attempting it, but I don't regret it. And I hope that you don't either, John." He finally looked up at his companion, his eyes showing his desperation. "I know that this is hard. And confusing. Trust me, John, I know, I went through it myself."

John looked down, asking quietly: "You did?"

"Yes," Dave replied, nodding, trying to get John to meet his gaze so he could see the reassurance in the younger man's eyes. "Don't sound so surprised."

"It's just that you're so sure of yourself...you know...about this stuff..."

"Looks can be deceiving, John," Dave said quietly.

"What was it like?" John asked after a few moments of silence, almost embarrassed to ask something like that. But he needed to know he wasn't the only person to go through this. He needed to be reassured that it was okay to feel like this.

"It was with Steven," Dave said, smiling softly at the memory. "It was great."

-------------------------------

Tried to reach you at your mom's

Hey baby why're you trying to keep away for so long?

I stopped feeling good, somehow I just knew I would

I guess I'll sleep another hour

-------------------------------

Sixteen-year-old David Malucci, junior at a high school in Yonkers, New York, stood in the hallway of his school, biting his lip nervously as he watched his boyfriend of ten months, Steven Drake, pull some books out of his locker and slip them into his bookbag. But the reason for his nervousness was not the fear that someone might see him with Steven, because the couple was known throughout the school, and, by now, they'd gone through all the torments and abuses for being gay and out in high school, and students were tired of bugging them about it, so they were left alone, only occasionally bothered by jerks looking for attention. The reason for his nervousness was the fear of rejection, because if everything didn't go as planned, Dave would be seriously embarrassed, and seriously crushed.

Approaching his boyfriend, he leaned against the locker next to Steven's, smiling one of his winning smiles. "Hey, Steven."

"Hey, Dave," Steven said, returning the smile with one of his own before turning back to his locker to pull out a notebook he'd forgotten. "What's up?"

"Uh...well...see, my dad's got this business trip for work, right? So...he's going to be gone for a couple days: Tonight and all day tomorrow." Dave said, hoping Steven would get his drift so he wouldn't have to continue, because this was very awkward for him, because he was afraid Steven was going to totally turn him down. Fiddling with his necklace, Dave soon moved his hands to wring each other, and looked up at Steven to see the older boy smiling at him, seemingly slightly amused. Oh, God, Dave thought, quickly looking down. Steven was laughing at him! "And...you know, uh...I was just wondering if maybe...possibly...I don't know, if you want, you could...you could, uh..." Why wasn't Steven getting his drift?

"Come over?" Steven asked, closing his locker and leaning against it, his amused smile turning into a softer one as he saw Dave blush and realized that he'd embarrassed the younger boy. He reached out and began to finger Dave's sleeve, before moving his hand to hold Dave's. The junior glanced up from under his brow, his eyes showing his anxiety. "I'd love to."

-------------------------------

Feels like I'm wasting my time

Hanging on this same old line

Got to get you off of my mind

There's nothing left for me to find

-------------------------------

"Why were you so nervous?" John asked, his brow furrowed in puzzlement. "I mean...you guys had been together for a long time, right? Of course he'd want to be with you."

"Yeah, but we'd never done anything that serious," he explained. "And I'd never been with a guy, plenty of girls, but never a guy, and I was nervous. What if I wasn't any good at it, you know? What if I did something wrong?"

"Well, if he talked you through it like you talked me through it," John said, "then I'm sure you did just fine."

Dave looked away, not one to take compliments well. "Yeah, I guess so," he said, brushing it off. "Anyway, I couldn't wait for that night to come," Dave said, his elbows leaning on the counter. He glanced up at John, glad to see that the older man was interested and had been hanging on to his every word. He just wanted to make sure John knew that it was okay to feel a little odd but good about what had happened. "I mean...don't get me wrong. I was scared as hell too. But...Steven made me feel all right," Dave continued, hoping that he'd make John feel all right too.

-------------------------------

And all the more I want

All the more I need

All the while you want something more

-------------------------------

Dave stood in front of the mirror in his bedroom, studying himself, trying to figure out which shirt he should wear. Tonight was going to be very special, and he wanted to make sure everything was perfect, right down to the blue shirt or the gray shirt. Gray shirt. He swiftly stripped off the blue shirt in one fluent movement, pulling on the gray shirt, and then stood in front of the mirror again, quickly running his fingers through his hair. Blue shirt?

The doorbell rang out throughout the house, echoing off of the walls of the empty hallway, leaving Dave with the decision of wearing the gray shirt, and he bounded down the steps, jumping the last few. He was soon at the front door, smoothing out his shirt and rubbing his hands together before opening the door, smiling brightly.

"Hey, Steven," Dave said, moving over to allow the older boy passage into his house. "I hope you're hungry. I made dinner."

"Great," Steven replied, then pulled out a dozen roses from behind his back. Dave's expression showed his delight as his eyes went wide with surprise. Steven, though usually cool and confident, seemed suddenly self- conscious. And the fact that Dave could make Steven self-conscious thrilled him, because Steven was always so calm and collected, unlike Dave, who was nervous as hell when it came to romance. "I got you these. Do you like roses?"

"I love them," Dave said, standing flush to Steven as he closed the door behind him, the only thing separating them being the roses. He looked up from the flowers, a smile on his face as he leaned forward and closed his eyes, his lips meeting Steven's. Dave felt the older boy's hand move to the back of Dave's neck, something Steven always did when they kissed like this, almost as if he were claiming Dave as his and his alone, and it just drove Dave wild. Dave pulled away, nodding towards the kitchen as he licked his lips. "Don't want dinner to go cold."

Steven smiled as Dave walked away from him, shaking his head at the fact that Dave was deliberately teasing him. He attempted to make the bulge in his pants disappear by walking it off as he moved into the kitchen, pausing in the doorway to watch Dave place the roses in a vase, which he promptly filled with water. Steven knew why he was here tonight, and he couldn't wait for that moment to come, though he knew he had to be patient and take things slow, because this was Dave's first time being intimate with another guy.

Dinner was fun and long, lasting hours, wherein both boys flirted and talked and laughed, occasionally touching and kissing, but each returning to their food or conversation before anything serious could happen. But, as Dave began putting dishes into the sink, Steven knew that it was time to take things further. He approached the younger boy from behind, wrapping his arms around Dave's waist, nuzzling Dave's neck with his cheek before kissing it, sucking it gently at times.

Dave turned in Steven's arms, his lips enveloping the older boy's as he draped his arms over Steven's shoulders, running his fingers through his jet black hair. He felt Steven's hands tugging at the gray shirt, soon pulling out from his pants, then he felt Steven's fingers trailing up his chest, brushing gently over his nipples, sending a chill down Dave's spine. Dave pulled away now, smiling up at Steven, now nodding towards the upstairs, towards his bedroom.

The reply was another kiss, and soon, Dave was leading Steven up the stairs, and very soon after that, they were on the bed, their clothes strewn about the floor. Dave was straddling Steven, who was lying underneath him, and their tongues were clashing together in Dave's mouth, fighting for control, and Dave could feel his heart hammering in his chest.

Steven placed an open palm on Dave's chest, feeling the younger boy's heart beating rapidly underneath it. "Dave...just relax. We'll take things slow and steady, and it'll feel real good, and soon your heart will be pounding for a different reason. Okay?"

"O...okay," Dave replied, nodding, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself down. He smiled reassuringly at Steven even though he was still quite nervous, glancing down briefly before looking back up. "You know I've never done this before. What...I mean...who's going to be doing the doing tonight?"

"You've had sex with a girl before, right?" Steven asked, knowing that the resident lady-killer had, indeed, had sex with girls before. Dave simply nodded, though answering was unnecessary. "Well, it's kind of like that, except a little different. So why don't you try doing the...doing tonight?"

"I think I can do that."

-------------------------------

All the more I want

All the more I need

All the while you want something more

-------------------------------

"And then what?" John asked, needing to know what had happened next, needing to know that he wasn't the only one who felt like this after his own first time.

"Then...we had sex," he replied, shrugging slightly, staring into his empty coffee cup, the images of that night flooding his memory. "It was different...it was weird...it was..." He glanced up at John, catching the Chief Resident's eye. "It was nice."

-------------------------------

Thought I found the words to say

Just to get you feeling fine over heels my way

-------------------------------

Hands roaming, running down sides and over chests and backs, everywhere, touching and caressing and teasing and tickling, finding those sweet points and sensitive places, never ceasing to miss a spot and never ceasing to neglect an area of import. And, now, one of Steven's hands was gently trailing behind Dave's thigh, the younger boy lying down next to him, both boys on their sides. Dave's hands, however, were clutching at Steven's back, never wanting to let the older boy go, because this was exactly where he wanted to be, safe in the arms of his lover, away from the danger of the world that lie outside of this bed.

Steven raised his own leg slightly, bringing it to rest on Dave's hip, and then guided Dave inside of him, gently, slowly, telling the inexperienced teenager what to do and what he was doing, and then showing him...showing him a world that he'd never seen and one that he never wanted to leave.

Starting with a slow rhythm, they soon moved to a quicker-paced one, and for the first time in his life, Dave actually felt *alive*, felt like every single cell and atom of his body was active and moving, living and breathing. When he was with girls, he never cared about how they felt and he only wanted release, but now...with Steven...he wanted to make sure he was doing it perfectly and he wanted to feel the way he was feeling right now, but more importantly he wanted to make sure that Steven was feeling good. And it was the best feeling in the world, one that he never wanted to forget and wanted to relive over and over and over again.

And they came screaming, collapsing in each other's arms when it was over, boneless and breathing heavily, but still wanting more more more.

"I love you," he suddenly heard Steven whisper. He looked up at the older boy in surprise, who simply smiled softly at him. "You think I'd just let anyone make love to me?"

"But..." Dave said, his brow furrowed in deep thought. "You've been with guys before...you told me that."

"But I've never let anyone do that to me before," he replied, his eyes displaying just how much this had meant to him.

"Wait..." Dave said, a smiling coming to his face. "So...I'm your first?" Steven bit his lip, nodding, and Dave's smile broadened as he kissed the younger boy firmly on the mouth. "I love you too, Steven."

-------------------------------

But it don't matter how

I lost the word and nerve and now

There's nothing more for me to say

-------------------------------

"So..." John said, the word curling into a question. He looked up at Dave. "You'd been Steven's first?"

"Yeah," Dave replied, smiling. "God, I was so in love with him then."

"Dave..." John said, trying to gather his thoughts into coherent words. What Dave had just described to him was almost exactly how he was feeling, right down to the awkwardness and fear in the beginning, and how natural it felt as the night progressed. But love? John didn't love Dave...did he? Love was something John hadn't experienced before...love was something for those other people, the lucky people...certainly not him and certainly not someone like Dave. He ran his fingers through his hair in an act of frustration, and then looked back up to the younger man. "Can I think about this?"

"You can take all the time you want to think it through," Dave said, much to John's surprise. He was glad that Dave understood, and would allow John time to understand, himself. "But I hope that you don't ignore it or try to hide from it, because it's who you are, and you should never be ashamed or scared of who you are."

"Dave...if...if...if we...what would happen?" John asked, hoping Dave would be able to make sense out of that.

"I'd hope that we'd be able to be in a relationship," Dave replied, then quickly added: "But not just sex...more than that."

"More than what happened between you and Luka?" John blurted out, unable to hide the fact that he knew any longer.

Dave looked up at John in surprise, a thousand thoughts racing through his mind at once. John knew about Luka and him. John knew. But how? Did Luka say something to him? Was Luka telling other people too? Did John just figure it out? If he figured it out, could other people figure it out as well? Obviously assaulting himself with questions was going to get him nowhere, so Dave finally said: "How do you know about Luka and me?"

"I figured it out, Dave," John replied, only partially lying. If Dave had reacted in this way about him just knowing, he wasn't sure how he would react to Luka actually inquiring about Dave with him. Seeing Dave's surprised expression turn to concern, he quickly said: "Don't worry, Dave. I would've never even guessed if you hadn't...come on to me. It's just that you guys were in an argument, and I didn't even know you were friends, and I just put two and two together, I guess...Dave, don't worry, no one even suspects anything. I'm the only one."

Dave shook his head, looking up at John with a sigh. "I don't care if anyone finds out, but Luka might. That's all I'm concerned about."

John narrowed his eyes, his head tilting in confusion. "Do you still care about him?"

"Luka?" Dave asked, almost as if the thought were incredulous. He shook his head fiercely. "No, no...he...he used me when he knew I really cared about him, and...what happened between us was a while ago, over the summer. We should be trying to deal with it, but we just choose to be irrational about it and not talk to each other. I just don't want him to blame me if someone else finds out. It could get really ugly."

"Are you...afraid of what Luka might do?" John asked, not realizing how bad it was between the two men until now.

Dave glanced up, and said slowly: "What do you mean?"

"I don't know..." John said hesitantly, not sure how exactly to explain the feeling that was creeping up into the back of his mind. "I mean...are you...afraid of Luka?"

"Afraid of him?" Dave said, as if the notion were incredulous. He smiled, though John wasn't sure just how genuine that smile was. "John, I may be shorter than him, but I'm stronger than him. If things got physical, I think he'd be the one who should be afraid."

John held back any other thought he might have had, sensing that Dave was uncomfortable on the subject. And, since he barely knew the younger man, he had no right to ask such questions. A thought suddenly came to John. "How did you get here?"

"Huh?" Dave asked, the shift in topic leaving him slightly confused.

"You need me to drive you back to your apartment," John stated. "You didn't take your bike here?"

"What, are you kidding me?" Dave asked, tossing John a look. "Yeah, sure. And I parked it in the living room. You're mother would've really loved me then... Abby drove me here, she's keeping my bike at her place until I pick it up."

"Abby drove you," John stated rather than asked. He looked down, biting his lip, before turning back to Dave. "She wasn't too sore about not being invited, was she?"

"No..." was the slow reply. "Why? You two had a thing, or something?"

"No," John said, shaking his head. "Sort of. I mean...over the summer, we kind of saw each other, but neither of us took it any further...and then when she tried, I kind of told her I wasn't interested anymore."

"Really?" Dave asked, unable to help the smile that came to his face. He crossed his arms over his chest, thinking that perhaps he'd been the reason that John had told Abby to back off. Maybe he had a better chance at this than he'd thought! "Looks like everyone had their regretted flings over the summer, huh?"

Glancing at the clock and noting the time, John stood and started to gather the plates. "I think I should drop you off now," he said, not really liking the direction this conversation was heading in. He didn't want to talk about Abby with Dave, someone who he'd had sex with the night before. And it was only because he didn't know if Dave was the reason he'd told Abby he wasn't interested in her anymore, because he still wasn't sure if he wanted in this or not. "Do you want me to drop you off at Abby's place?"

"Yeah, sure..." Dave said, watching as John busied himself with the dishes, his brow furrowed in worry. Carefully, he approached John, standing close to him, and took John's arm, turning him to face him. "John...I don't want to push you, and I don't want to rush you into anything. Take all the time you need to figure out what you want...I'll wait."

-------------------------------

Feels like I'm wasting my time

Hanging on this same old line

There's nothing left for me to find

-------------------------------

"Do you think it's something I ate?" Mr. Foster asked, holding his stomach and rubbing his hand back and forth over the gown, glancing up at his doctor with a concerned expression.

Dr. Dave Malucci ignored the question for now, noting down the tests he wanted to run on his chart for this guy who'd been passing blood in his stool. CBC, hemoglobin/hemocrit, cell count, type and cross, bleeding times, abdominal series, IV access, NPO...God, that trauma across the hallway sure looked exciting.

See, since coming back from his suspension, he'd been barred from taking any traumas as part of his punishment, which seemed a little harsh to him. He loved traumas, everyone at the hospital knew that, and taking them away was like taking away his oxygen supply. But the Chief had said that it'd give him a chance to brush up on his bedside manner and slow down a bit. Yeah, sure. She just wanted to watch him suffer as he suffocated.

"Dr. Malucci?" He looked up at his patient. Oh yeah, that's right. He *had* asked him a question before. But what was it again? "Do you think it's something I ate?"

"It could be," Dave replied, shrugging. "It's probably lower GI bleeding. I'm just going to run some tests, and then call in a gastrointestinologist, and they'll probably admit you."

"Admit me?" he asked. "Should I call in sick to work tomorrow?"

"Yes," Dave said in exasperation, glancing out the exam room window and across the hall at the trauma Luka and a few nurses were working on. From what it looked like, they were having trouble stabilizing the patient, and, God, he was just itching to get in there and right in the action. Unable to take it in this room any longer, Dave moved towards the door, briefly calling over his shoulder: "A nurse will be in to draw some blood, and someone'll take you up to Radiology for some x-rays."

"Thanks, doctor!" his patient called gratefully, but Dave was already heading down the hallway towards his other patient in the next room: a kid who'd swallowed a toy. That sure seemed like fun.

"Dave!" he suddenly heard from behind him, and turned to see Abby standing in the doorway of Trauma One. "We need you in here! Now!"

"I can't," Dave replied, holding his hands out in a helpless gesture, but he moved towards her. "I'm off of traumas for two weeks."

"Get in here!" she said, grabbing his scrub top and jerking him into the room as he shook his head. "We got a girl OD'ing on Heroin and Luka can't stabilize her."

"If I get in trouble, I'm blaming you guys," he said, pointing at everyone in the room. He approached the trauma room table, seeing that the woman on top was already arresting. He pulled on a pair of gloves. "How do you know it was Heroin?"

"Her friend found her with this sticking out of her arm," Abby explained, holding up a hypodermic needle with some residue still inside. "Given all her other symptoms, we're almost positive it is Heroin."

"I see," Dave said, nodding sadly. "Do you think she took anything else?"

"We're not sure," Luka answered, without looking up from what he was doing. "She's been down for a half-hour."

"A half-hour?" Dave asked, as he took over squeezing charcoal into the ET tube. "Don't you think we should call it?"

"No. She's only 18. Administer the Narcan," he said, looking up at Dave.

Dave did as he was told, and they waited to see if one drug could save her life from another. He was about to suggest calling it again, when, as if on cue, the young woman on the table shot her eyes open, looking around the room in horror. Dave began to open his mouth to explain to her where she was, but she just flung her arm towards him, knocking the charcoal out of his hand and causing it to spray at him, right before pulling out her tube. "Shit!" Dave called out as he brought his gloved hand up to his eyes, only to realize that he couldn't wipe it out of his eyes and off his face with the glove. Dave brought his arm up to his face and tried to wipe it off that way, but his eye began to sting, and not being able to do anything about it was frustrating. "Get some restraints in here!"

"Please, calm down," Luka said gently, trying to get her to calm down as the nurses applied the restraints to each limb. Dave blinked hard, backing away from the table as he ripped off his gloves and began rubbing his right eye with the back of his hand, letting out a grunt. "Let's get an NG tube. Dave, are you all right?"

"I think I got some in my eye," he stated, rubbing it fiercely to get it to stop stinging. He let out another grunt of pain. "God, that hurts like a bitch."

"Dave, sit down," Luka instructed, motioning towards the next room. He glanced at Abby. "Abby, get Dr. Chen in here to take over." The nurse quickly left and came back with Jing-Mei in tow. "Here, let's go into Sutures and flush it out," Luka said as he removed his trauma gown and threw it into the garbage, leading a partially blinded Dave into the next room. He sat the younger man down onto the exam table, and then sat down on a stool in front of him, preparing an irrigation kit with warm saline. "Stop rubbing it, you'll only make it worse. Open your eye. Let me see it."

"It hurts," he stated, his eye squeezed shut.

"Don't be such a baby," Luka teased, a smile on his face. "Let me see it." Dave leaned forward, towards Luka, and opened his eye, but kept blinking in pain. "Stop blinking."

"I can't, it hurts," he said, pulling back as he once again rubbed his eye. "God."

"I said, stop rubbing it," Luka stated as he brushed Dave's hand away from his eye and cupped the Junior Resident's face in his hand, pulling him towards him once more. He opened his eye, trying his best not to blink so much and letting out a small sound when he failed to do so. Luka leaned forward, as well, examining Dave's eye to make sure there was no damage. "It looks fine. You'll just have to flush it out and I'll give you some local anesthetic eye drops."

"Thanks," Dave said, but neither man moved from their positions. Instead, Luka gently brushed over Dave's cheekbone with his knuckles, then leaned in closer, but Dave abruptly pulled away, closing his eye tightly and rubbing it again as an excuse to create distance between them. He looked up at the older man apologetically, wanting to say something. "Luka..."

"Dave, we need to talk about this," Luka said suddenly, unable to let Dave ignore the subject any longer.

"I know," Dave replied, nodding. He let out a deep breath, then: "Look, Luka. What happened between us happened months ago, in the summer. I know I introduced you to something new, but there's a lot more than what I *did* introduce you to...other people, people you want to be with. People you're not ashamed of."

"I'm not ashamed of you, Dave!" he quickly said. "And I'm sorry that you think that, because it isn't true."

"You were ashamed of us, Luka. I can't...I won't live like that," Dave interrupted.

"But I don't want anything or anyone else," Luka said, his eyes pleading with the younger man, telling him exactly what he *did* want. "Dave, I was stupid before. I realize my mistakes now, and I'm willing to correct them."

"Luka..." Dave started, trying to explain. He looked away briefly before looking up at Luka, his own eyes now pleading. "I've moved on. Now you need to."

Then, suddenly, Dave hopped off of the gurney and stood, leaving the room without looking back. Sitting back on his stool, Luka ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. How was he supposed to "move on"? He couldn't just turn off his feelings with the flick of a switch. Letting out a sigh, Luka stood, tossing the opened irrigation kit inside the trash, wishing he could throw his feelings for Dave away just as easily.

-------------------------------

And all the more I want

All the more I need

All the while you want something more

-------------------------------

Dave stepped out of the room and into the hallway, not daring to look back at Luka inside Sutures. He ran his fingers through his hair, sighing as he did so. God, how did he get himself into things like this? If only Luka had wanted this months ago...why had it taken the Attending so long to realize he had feelings for him? Why did things have to be so complicated all the time?

"Dr. Malucci!" he suddenly heard from behind him, and he turned to face Dr. Weaver, though he certainly didn't need to see her to recognize who'd snapped at him in that unruly tone. She shoved a chart at him, and he took it before it could jab him in the stomach, and she pointed at a specific line in the chart. "What does that say?"

"Dr. Malucci administered Narcan at 6:05pm," he recited, and then glanced up at her.

"Why would you do that?" she asked, her usually pretty face contorted with anger.

"She was overdosing on Heroin..."

"No, I mean why were you in the trauma at all?!" she barked, startling him. "If I remember correctly, I specifically forbade you from traumas for two weeks. Now I'm going to have to change it to until further notice."

"Dr. Weaver!" he exclaimed, desperation in his eyes. Further notice?! He wouldn't have traumas for another month - if he was lucky!! "A nurse dragged me in! Dr. Kovac needed assistance, and I was the only doctor available!"

"If you have a problem, Dr. Malucci," she said, "then you come and get me."

"We all know what happened last time I tried that," he spat without thinking, recalling the previous month's patient with the Marfan syndrome.

"Don't you dare talk back to me, Malucci," she snapped, her eyes glaring daggers at him. "You are skating on thin ice! Don't forget that I can always revoke my decision to keep you working at this hospital. And don't forget that I won't hesitate to do so."

"How can I forget? You remind me every time you see me!" Dave yelled.

"Don't push me Malucci," she muttered, rubbing her forehead with her fingers. She glanced up at him, watching him carefully, remembering finding him on the roof in tears a month or so ago, remembering him in the lounge near a breakdown a few weeks ago, remembering John noting that something was wrong as well. Perhaps she shouldn't have laid it into him that hard, she thought to herself. But sometimes he just made her so angry... It was no excuse, she thought to herself. If she really cared about him, it wouldn't matter how angry he made her if his mental stability were in jeopardy. But was it really? He furrowed his brow, watching her watch him. "Dave..."

"What?" he snapped, wondering what the hell she was looking at. He could see the concern in her eyes, wondering if he was really fit to do this job or not, wondering when his mental breakdown was going to happen. Quite frankly, he was wondering too. But she didn't need to pretend to care.

"Just..." she began, but trailed off with a sigh. It was obvious that he didn't want her help, so she couldn't give it. But she could offer it. "If you need help with anything, just come to me. Okay?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Are we still talking about what just happened?"

She turned and walked away from him tiredly, leaving the question to hang in the air. He hated it when she did that: getting the last word without actually getting the last word. He clenched his jaw as he watched her walk away from him, and bit back any comment that might cause her to carry out her threat. He placed his hands on his waist and closed his eyes, taking a minute to just breathe and calm down. Halfway through his countdown from ten to zero, someone interrupted his exercise that he'd noticed he'd needed to use more and more often.

"You look like you could use a pick-me-up," he heard the recognizable voice of Abby say, who was walking next to him. She'd noticed that things between Luka and Dave hadn't been quite right - hell, everyone had - and from the way it looked, the two had really been friends, and one of them had done something to hurt the other, and she just had this gut feeling that Dave had been the victim. She knew how Luka could get. And she was sure that that cheeking he'd just taken from Dr. Weaver hadn't helped any.

Dave glanced down at her, offering her a small, nervous smile. "What? What do you mean 'pick me up'?"

"Want to grab some coffee from the cafeteria?" she offered, looking up at him with a strange expression on her face.

"Uh...I..." He sighed, pausing to think. "It wasn't exactly the pick-me-up I had in mind, but I guess it'll do for now."

"Why?" she asked as they moved to the elevator alcove together. "What did you think I meant?" He smiled slyly at her, his eyes traveling up and down her body before winking, and she smacked his arm playfully. "Get outta here!"

-------------------------------

All the more I want

All the more I need

All the while you want something

-------------------------------

"Has anyone seen Abby?" Luka asked, holding up his chart. He'd asked her to administer atropine to his patient in Three, but she hadn't written it down, and though he was pretty sure that she'd given him some, he couldn't take the chance. So, now, he was on his search to find her, though he hadn't seen her since the trauma with Dr. Malucci earlier. "Randi, have you seen Abby?"

"I *saw* her," she replied in that same terse manner that she served everyone with. He tossed her a look, and she glanced up from the phone just in time to catch it. "She went up to the cafeteria. She was with Dr. Dave."

"Didn't she drive him to that party last night?" Cleo Finch inquired, briefly looking up from the discharge papers she was filling out.

"I saw her this morning with him on my way to work," Chuny quipped, causing the three to look at her, Cleo and Randi raising their eyebrows, silently urging her to continue. "He was leaving her apartment with his bike, wearing the *same exact* tux he was wearing when he left the hospital yesterday."

"Are you serious?" Cleo asked.

"Abby and Dr. Dave??" Randi said, all three gossipers smiling, too enveloped by the latest romance of the hospital to even notice Luka set his jaw and walk away, seething with every step.

-------------------------------

There's nothing left for me to say

Wanting what I need this way

-------------------------------

The same Dr. Dave and Abby that just moments ago had become the latest story for the hospital Rumor Mill were sitting in the cafeteria drinking the sludge that Cook County tried to sell as coffee and eating a couple sandwiches from the vending machine that *looked* like ham and cheese, though one could never be sure. They'd just sat down at about the same time they'd become the latest story, and therefore hadn't gotten wind of it. But they soon would, as would the rest of the staff, and most people wouldn't like it, including the new "couple."

"So..." Abby began, glancing up at him from the Styrofoam cup she was cradling in her hands. "Why are you and Luka fighting?"

"I'd prefer not to talk about it, if that's okay," Dave replied, glancing off briefly before looking back to Abby.

"Okay," she said, nodding. She bit her lip, something she always did when she was thinking, not knowing how much to pry because she didn't know this man sitting in front of her at all. She decided to ask a simple question and see where things went from there. "Is Luka the only thing that's been getting you so down lately?"

Dave glanced up at her from his coffee. Abby sure was perceptive - unless she really cared enough to actually notice. Well, he thought, she cared enough to go out of her way and share a coffee with him and ask. And, glancing into her eyes, seeing the genuine concern, he was pretty sure that she was the only person in this hospital who actually gave a damn about him. Perhaps he could actually refer to her as a friend in time.

"I'm fine," he said, shrugging it off.

"Dave..." she said, tossing him a look. "No, you're not. Everyone knows it."

"Everyone?" he asked, tossing her a look of his own. "Like who?"

"Dr. Weaver's been asking around about you," she said, not sure whether she should tell Dave about this or not, but knowing that it might be the only way to get him to open up to her.

"No, she hasn't," he said, but the conviction even rung false in his own ears. He could see in her eyes that it was. "She has?"

"I would've done the same thing," Abby argued. "You've just been acting strange lately."

"How so?"

"You're not yourself."

"Then who am I?"

"Stop it, Dave," she said, exasperated. "You're not the happy-go-lucky guy in the ER that drives us crazy any more. You're always on edge...you're different..." She hesitated. Then, finally, softly, "I'm worried about you. We all are."

"Don't be, I'm fine," he said tiredly. "I'm always fine. And judging by the way the Chief just laid into me, I don't think she cares if I live or die, Abby."

"That's not true. She's really worried about you, Dave. I think you just make her mad sometimes," Abby said, trying to convince him that people cared about him - like Abby. Others, such as their coworkers, didn't care about him because he had always shown them that he was a heartless smart- ass. But she had no doubt that if they saw this side of him, they would care too.

"Yeah, whatever," he said softly, and offered another casual shrug.

"Please, Dave, talk to me. I have this feeling that you need someone to talk to," she said. "You don't have to tell me everything, just tell me something. Let me help you."

He looked at her for a moment, then let out a sigh. "I'm sort of involved with someone," he said, leaning forward with his elbows on the table. He suddenly smiled. "I know, hard to believe, me of all people, actually involved with someone, but it's true."

She ignored his comment, knowing that he'd tried to use humor to mask the seriousness behind his situation. But she began to wonder if this was something that he did often. Perhaps this was his way of keeping everyone away from him: The funny guy who didn't need anyone or anything. "Sort of?"

He hesitated, trying to think how best to put this without giving too much away. Then, finally: "We went out for a drink, and then we went back to my place. One thing led to another, and things started to get serious, but nothing happened. Then last - " He quickly stopped himself before he almost said "night," immediately realizing that that would be a terrible, terrible mistake. "Last week, we had sex...and I think it meant more to me than it did to them."

"Why don't you ask?" Abby asked, tearing off a bit of her sandwich before popping it into her mouth.

"I did..." he replied. She looked at him expectantly. "They're getting back to me."

"What do you think the answer's going to be?" she asked around her food.

He sighed. "I'm not optimistic."

"Why not?"

"They've never done this sort of thing before." He leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Been in a relationship?" she inquired, slightly confused.

"It's...complicated."

"I'm pretty understanding, Dave," she urged. "Try me."

Another sigh. "I'm not in this person's league. They've never dated someone like me before. We are so different, night and day really. This person is so special, smart, funny, good looking, rich, and I'm...I'm just me," he said sadly, looking down at the cup. "I'm just stupid, wise-ass, poor, average...Dave."

Abby looked at Dave for a minute, who looked so defeated and lost. So unconfident. So not the Dave she knew. But did she really know him at all? "Dave, you are special. You're a good doctor, you're a good person."

"I think we both know that I'm a terrible doctor, Abby," he said interrupting her. "And as for me being a good person...? I'm not so sure of that anymore."

"You are a good doctor, Dave. And you are a good person." She tried to make him make eye contact with her, but he would not look at her. "Do you love her, Dave?"

"What?" he asked, looking up at her.

"Do you love her?" she repeated softly.

"I..." He paused, his brow furrowing in thought. "I don't know..."

"Go for it, Dave," she said, knowing the answer even if he didn't yet. "If she doesn't see what a good, special person you are, then *she's* the one that isn't worth it, not you."

"Thanks, Abby."

"Sure," she said, watching him. "So...do I know this lucky lady?"

He smiled. "No comment."

"So I do know her!" she said, leaning forward. "Who is it?" Dave simply looked at her, shaking his head. "You're not going to tell me, are you?"

"Nope," he replied, shaking his head, ripping little pieces of the bread off of his sandwich and dropping them haphazardly on his plate. He wasn't hungry at all...he just had the irresistible urge to head right to the drug lockup and break into the locked cabinets if he had to. And he didn't like that image at all. It scared the shit out of him to know that this was what it'd come down to when he couldn't deal with something. Nevertheless, when he was finished speaking with Abby and was back to work, he still found himself hovering around the drug lockup, waiting for the ER to slow down so he could slip inside unnoticed, waiting for the opportunity to forget once again.

-------------------------------

And when I'm feeling low I know

I need to stop

-------------------------------

Standing outside in the backyard of his mansion, John smoked a cigarette in the silence of the evening. He knew he shouldn't smoke, something about trading one kind of addiction for another, but at least this addiction was a little better than the one he'd had previously, or so he tried to tell himself. Leaning his head back as he exhaled, he watched the smoke rise in the twilight. By now, the sun was setting a lot earlier than it had during the summer, so by five o'clock it was already getting dark.

John was home alone, as he had been all day, and hadn't found many things to keep himself busy. He'd tried working out, swimming, boxing, watching television, and even reading a book, but he could never keep his attention occupied for very long before his mind wandered back to last night's and this morning's events.

I'll wait, I'll wait, I'll wait... Those words keeping ringing in John's ears as he remembered Dave saying them this morning after breakfast. Just how much was Dave attracted to John? He'd said so himself, that he wanted something more than just sex, but how much more did he want? He wanted to be John's boyfriend? Be in a long-term relationship with him?

And then there was this annoying voice in his head that told him that Dave was - for lack of a better term - a male whore. Sure, Dave wanted him right now, but what would happen when Dave found someone better? Everyone in the hospital knew that Dave couldn't commit to anything or anyone, why would this relationship be any different?

But what if it was? What if he and Dave became a...couple?

What would that be like? John wondered. Would it be much different than having a girlfriend? Sure, it'd be different because Dave was a guy, but besides that? They liked each other, and they got along good, just as a regular couple did. They enjoyed each other's company and had similar interests, too. They seemed to have chemistry in bed, which went along with Abby's crazy "second-date" rule that she'd tried to explain to him one day while walking on the pier together. So why was John so hesitant to get involved in this?

Maybe it was because he'd finally gotten his life in a place where he'd liked it, stable and secure, no problems abounding or on the horizon, and then Dave had just thrown this monkey wrench into it, sending him out of orbit and into some kind of crazy. He'd been very comfortable with his sexuality, thank-you-very-much, until the younger man had come along and opened up a door to another world that John had never even *considered* before. And he was supposed to just give in to it? Just accept it, just like that?

Scrubbing his face with his hands, John let out a sigh when he heard someone approaching. Turning, he saw his grandmother emerge from the house to join him in the backyard. "Gamma?" he asked, his brow furrowing in confusion. "What are you doing back so soon?"

"Your grandfather had a heart attack on the way to the mountains," she reported, standing beside him as he quickly put out his cigarette, knowing she didn't like it when he smoked around her. "He's in the hospital."

"Is he going to be okay?" John asked in alarm.

"The doctors think he should be fine."

"Think? They're not sure?" John asked, clearly concerned for his grandfather's health.

"They said he should be coming home in a few days."

"So he is going to be okay?" John asked again. "Are *you* okay?"

"He's strong, he'll be fine," she stated, nodding as she wrapped her thick shawl around her tighter, feeling the chill of the cool fall air. "I'm fine too, just a little worn out. I was going to head up to bed after I saw you, but it seems as if I'll be staying awake a little longer."

"Why's that?" he asked, looking down at her in puzzlement.

"Because it seems you still have your problem hovering over you," she stated, looking up at her grandson. He opened his mouth to protest, but she immediately silenced him. "Don't think you're getting away without talking about it, John. And don't try to deny it either, I know you probably better than you know yourself. And you're going to talk about whatever it is that's bothering you or, so help me God, I'll stand out here with you all night."

Pause. Then: "Doesn't sound like I have much of a choice."

"That's because you don't."

John let out a silent sigh, thinking about how to word this in the best way. Finally: "One of my coworkers came on to me, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for a relationship with hi - them - *her*."

"What's holding you back?" she asked, and if she'd noticed his faltering then she didn't show it as she looked into his brown eyes with her clear blue ones that still reflected her youth, no matter what her exterior displayed. "Are you concerned about the difficulties that might occur with it?" John nodded, tempted to pull out another cigarette. "John, every relationship has its problems, no matter who you get involved with. But it seems to me that the only thing holding you back here is yourself, and you'll never find out what could've been by just standing here, smoking your life away. Jump into it, John, before your chance is gone."

The silence between them lasted for several moments. Then, finally, Gamma gave his arm a gentle squeeze before turning to move back into the house. "Good night, John."

"'Night, Gamma," John said, as he looked away from his grandmother and studied the garden before him, unable to respond to her advice. What if she was right? What if he was happy with Dave, the way he hadn't been happy in years? But what if she was wrong? What if this new world that John had been introduced to wasn't right for him? What if...God, what if? What if??

Finally making up his mind, John turned and moved back into the house as well.

-------------------------------

And someday you will see

All the more you want

All the more you'll need me

All the while I'll be on to something more

-------------------------------

Exhausted after dealing with a double shift at Cook County General, exhausted after dealing with doctors and nurses, exhausted after dealing with patients, exhausted after dealing with drunks and addicts and the ungrateful, Dr. Kerry Weaver still had one more matter to deal with before she went home for the night. But she could not, for the life of her, locate Dr. Malucci, whose shift had ended only minutes ago. Had he left that quickly? She couldn't have missed him, she'd been watching the exit to the hospital like an eagle stalking a mouse, waiting to pounce on her prey. Had he used a different exit, knowing she'd be waiting for him?

She hoped that perhaps he hadn't left yet. So she traveled down the halls of the emergency department, searching through exam rooms and curtain areas, bathrooms and staff rooms, just looking not asking if anyone had seen Dr. Malucci in fear he'd get wind of it if he hadn't, in fact, left yet, and elude her, leaving right away. And who could blame him really? She'd been really terse with him earlier. But wasn't she always? She was ashamed to admit it, but she was.

She moved to the Lounge again, doubling back and rechecking each room, but still not finding him anywhere. Shit, he must've left. Pushing open the door to the Lounge, she found Abby inside, gathering her things and getting ready to head out for the night. She quickly ducked out, not wanting to draw attention to herself.

And Abby hadn't appeared to notice her, until: "Dr. Weaver, you've circled the ER twice now. Who are you looking for? If it's Dave, he's already left."

Dr. Weaver turned back to her, unable to hide her surprise. "How did you know I was looking for Dave?"

The nurse turned to the chief, her eyes portraying her genuine concern. "Because I'm just as worried about him as you are," she stated. Her expression then suddenly hardened, but her words weren't edged with anger, as Kerry had expected them to be. "And if you really are that worried about him, maybe you should stop laying into him so much. Whatever is going on with him, it isn't helping."

"Do you know what's going on with him?" she asked, remembering hearing about Abby and Dave going up to the cafeteria - and also hearing about how Dave had skipped John's congratulation party to sleep over Abby's last night, and not in the slumber party kind of way. Perhaps she knew more than she was admitting, because Dr. Weaver had always had the impression that Abby wasn't the kind of woman for a one-night stand, so she could know Dave better than Kerry had previously thought. "I mean...you two are close, right?"

"We are," Abby said, noting Dr. Weaver's tone when she'd asked, the Chief of the ED wondering if they were lovers. "But, no," she replied sadly, wishing that she did. "I don't know what's wrong with him. Dave won't talk to me about it. He won't talk to anyone. He thinks nobody cares, and frankly nobody *does* care. Except for me, maybe."

"I care," was the first thing Dr. Weaver thought to say. But was it because she *did* care, she though to herself, or because it was her job to care?

"He doesn't think so," Abby said. "And your constant harping certainly doesn't prove him wrong."

Dr. Weaver sighed, knowing Abby was right in every sense of the word. She looked up at the nurse, immediately blurting out her previous excuse, but the words sounded lame to her own ears. "Sometimes he just drives me crazy, Abby. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't want to learn, and I end up wanting to grab him and shake him until he listens. He's got to learn. " Abby tossed her a look, as if to say, "You don't honestly believe that, do you?" She sighed again. "Look. I know that I shouldn't yell at him like that, and I know something's wrong. But I can't help him I if I don't know what it is."

"Well, yelling at him isn't going to make him trust you enough to tell you," Abby said quickly. She sighed then, putting her hand to her forehead, briefly looking down before looking up at Kerry again. "I'll make a deal with you. We'll both try to get to the bottom of this, and then we'll take things from there. Once we both know what's wrong, we'll decide what to do then. Okay?"

With a seriousness that Abby had never witnessed in Dr. Weaver's voice in a very long time, she asked hesitantly, slowly, fearfully: "Do you think he'd hurt himself?"

Abby was almost taken aback. And she would've been had that same question not been on her mind as well. "I...I hope not." She paused. "And I'd like to say no, but I'm not sure any more, Dr. Weaver. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this before he...does."

"Dave's lucky to have a friend like you," Kerry found herself saying, wishing that sometimes she didn't work so much and had more friends than the few that she did have. And she wasn't sure what she expected Abby to say in reply, but it certainly wasn't what she did say.

"He's lucky to have a friend like you too."

-------------------------------

And all the more you want

All the more you'll need me

All the while I want something more

-------------------------------

Dave unlocked his apartment door, then opened it and stepped inside, tossing his knapsack haphazardly to the side. He turned and closed the door behind him, locking it and then leaning his forehead against it, sighing as he did so. All he wanted to do right now was forget forget forget. But he couldn't even do that, because the ER had been so busy he hadn't gotten any chance to get to his locker and take the Dexedrines to help him get through the shift, or the drug lockup to get the Percocets to help him forget afterwards. God...this day had just about been shitty enough to get on the list of Worst Days of Dr. Dave's Life.

Forgetting was something that desperately needed to happen, and it needed to happen now. Why? Because John hated him. Well, the Chief Resident may not have *hated* him, but he sure as hell wasn't interested in him. Surely, if the older man were, he wouldn't have acted so strangely in the morning. Asking about Abby and if she was offended that he had invited "Dr. Dave" and not her. Why would he be so worried about her if he were interested in Dave? And what was so bad about inviting Dave to the party? Yeah, so he'd seen that look that Eleanor had given him...was that it? He wasn't refined enough to be there? Sophisticated enough?

So he wasn't rich, and he wasn't cultured, and he may not know the right people, but he'd gotten through high school, he'd gotten through college, and he'd gotten through medical school. He'd even gotten through his internship, and he was halfway finished with his residency. And he'd gotten through all of those things not through money and not through whom he knew, but on his own. Could John say that about himself?

Dave suddenly slammed his open palm against the door, a resounding boom echoing through the dark apartment. He was thinking too much, and he was getting angry too much, and he was forgetting too much, but he didn't care too much, either. Today had been another hectic 12-hour shift in the ER, but the only trauma he'd gotten was that girl that had overdosed and knocked charcoal into his eye, which was no longer red from irritation, but it still hurt like a bitch because he'd never gotten those local anesthetic eye drops from Luka.

Luka...God, why couldn't he see that Dave just wasn't interested in him anymore? The young doctor had really cared about him, but his feelings had dissipated once the knowledge of him being used by the older doctor had come. And now Luka thought that since he had feelings for Dave that everything was just going to turn out the way he wanted it to? And Luka didn't even realize how much he had hurt Dave. A month ago, Dave would've taken Luka up on his offer of something more, but now, since his feelings for John had grown into something that he'd never even felt before - something wonderful - he didn't even want to give the older man a second thought.

Dave let out another sigh as he turned once more and scrubbed his face with his hands, trying to clear his head. "Rowrr??" he heard from below, and opened his eyes to see Kermit standing at his feet, before the cat started brushing against Dave's legs to gain his attention.

"I bet you're hungry, little guy," Dave said as he bent down and picked him up, cradling him in his arms as he moved through the living room and into the kitchen, allowing the light from the full moon to guide him through his apartment. He turned on the kitchen light, setting the cat down onto the floor before he pulled open one of his cabinet doors and took out a can of cat food. Opening the can, he squatted down, tapping the can facedown until the food dropped out of it and onto the paper plate. The cat immediately dug into it, his tail up in appreciation, and Dave gave Kermit a gentle pet on his head. "There you go, furface."

He left the kitchen, turning off the light, and moved down the dark hallway and came to the bedroom. He undressed, leaving his clothes in a pile on the floor, and then moved to his bathroom naked, turning on the shower and stepping inside once the temperature was comfortable.

He stood under the showerhead, the water rolling down his body and loosening his taut muscles. Turning his head towards the water, he felt the hot water hit his face and wet his hair. God, he'd been waiting almost his whole shift to just step into his own shower and finally relax. About an hour later, when the hot water was practically all used up, he finally stepped out of the shower, grabbing a towel from the counter. He dried himself off and wrapped it around his waist, but paused momentarily to look in the mirror before he left the bathroom.

Dave worked out regularly, mostly kickboxing at the local gym and running on his treadmill, so his body was almost perfect, or at least perfect to his standards. He was just about where he wanted to be, and was pretty happy with the way he looked, as vain as that may sound. But despite how perfect his physique was it could never draw attention away from the scars that marred his body. They were deep and clear, noticeable even in the light of the night moon, reminding him every time he looked in the mirror or someone mentioned them just what he'd gone through to obtain them.

John hadn't mentioned them, but Dave knew that he had seen them. He had to have in the light of the Chief Resident's bedroom lamps. But he hadn't said anything, and Dave had been grateful for that. He didn't want to explain in the heat of the moment where he'd gotten them from, something he had to often do with strangers, though he made up different excuses, most of them either a car accident or something of that sort. It had helped that John could guess where they'd probably come from, but it still hadn't made it any easier for Dave to be undressed in front of him. Don't think he hadn't noticed the look of sympathy and pity flash over the older man's eyes. And Dave didn't want sympathy or pity, and he certainly didn't need it.

Running his hands through his wet hair in an act of frustration, Dave saw his kitty watching him from the doorway. "What are you looking at?" he asked it, though received no reply as he moved into his bedroom, finding a pair of boxers and a beater to wear to bed. Once changed into them, he pulled back the bedcovers and lay down, trying to get comfortable and letting out the sigh of contentment he mechanically let out once he was. Kermit jumped up on the bed to join him, curling up on Dave's chest, purring contently as the doctor stroked his head gently. Closing his eyes, he was relieved that he'd gotten through another day, and hoped that he got through tomorrow.

And when the doorbell rang, he realized that his day hadn't ended just yet.

Dave glanced at the clock as he sat up, and clenched his jaw. Twelve o'clock at fucking night, and someone was ringing his doorbell? He'd finally gotten to go to bed after the long day he'd had, and someone was ringing his goddamn doorbell?? Getting up from his bed, he swore to God that if it was one of his neighbors needing something, or the landlord complaining that he'd used up all the hot water, he was going to punch them right in the face, and it was going to feel good.

Grumbling inaudible obscenities to himself, the Junior Resident didn't even bother to grab his robe as he stepped out of his bedroom and into the hallway, Kermit sensing the doctor's rage as he scurried away. Moving towards the living room to the front door, Dave stood before it, unlocking it rather angrily, and swung it open roughly, fist ready to fly into the unsuspecting face of whoever was behind the door.

But no fist flew, and Dave blinked in surprise once, twice, as he saw who was behind the door. Standing there was John Carter, his long jacket open to reveal a thick turtleneck and khakis, looking absolutely gorgeous. But what could he possibly be doing here at twelve o'clock at night?

"It's midnight," was the first thing Dave said.

"I know," John said, nodding as he looked at Dave. The younger man had obviously been sleeping, as he was just standing there in boxers and a beater, his hair mused and damp as if he'd just taken a shower before going to bed. "But I just wanted to..."

"I was sleeping," Dave stated before John could get in another word.

"I...I see that," John replied, slightly stuttering. He looked Dave in the eyes, needing to say what he came here to say, desperate to say what he came here to say. "Look, Dave, I was thinking, and..."

"*I* was sleeping."

"Would you shut up and let me talk?" John asked, holding his hands out in a pleading gesture.

"I'm not interested in talking."

"Fine," John said, nodding, looking down. "Fine...you don't want to talk?"

"No." Dave shook his head, crossing his arms over his chest. He knew he was taking a chance here, but he couldn't wait any longer for John to come around. If John didn't want him, then talking wasn't going to change anything, it was just going to be a bunch of bullshit that would end in the same result. Dave watched John carefully as the older man let out a sigh, before glancing up at Dave once more, and he prepared for the inevitable.

If he won't let me talk, John thought to himself, then how the hell am I supposed to say what I need to say? He suddenly smiled, knowing exactly how he was going to express what he needed to. Leaning forward, John reached out and took Dave's face in his hands, kissing him hard. Pulling away, he was pleased to see the surprised expression on the younger man's face.

"I guess you made up your mind," Dave said once he regained his thought processes, as he'd been totally expecting to be rejected once more. John simply nodded, a smug smile on his face. Dave found himself smiling too as he pushed the door open further to allow the older man passage. "Would you like to come in?"

John's smug smile turned into a broad one. "I'd love to."

-------------------------------

I want something more

-------------------------------

Dave's bare back hit the mattress softly, John's arms guiding him down onto it in the glow of the moonlight. Both men had removed their clothing on the way to Dave's bedroom, leaving a trail of garments behind them as they kissed passionately, never allowing their lips to leave each other's unless it was necessary, and now all that was left to do was what their bodies and hearts wanted, needed.

Scooting up towards the head of the bed, Dave lay on his back, his head resting against the pillows as John straddled him between his legs, their erect cocks touching each other's and rubbing against each other's at they gently bucked their hips against one another. John leaned forward and kissed Dave on his lips, opening his mouth to allow Dave's tongue inside, and he began to suck on it gently. He'd noted in the back of his mind that Dave had liked it when he'd done that last night, so he didn't even hesitate to do it again, and it paid off when he heard Dave let out a moan of pleasure.

John ran his fingers through Dave's hair, gently tugging at it as he leaned his head back, still moving against Dave, needing some sort of friction between them. Dave tilted his head in the direction John was pulling his hair in, the feeling of John's fingers on his scalp driving him crazy. John moved his hands to cup Dave's face, and Dave turned to kiss one of John's palms, before looking up into the older man's eyes and seeing the intensity in them. God, how much he loved this man.

Love? Where had *that* word come from? Sure, Abby had mentioned something about love during their coffee break together, but did he really love John? But as John moved his hands to brush over Dave's nipples, that thought was totally pushed to the back of his mind if not eradicated from it. Reaching his arm out to his nightstand, Dave opened it and pulled out a tube of lubricant, clumsily uncapping it as he felt John's mouth encase around one of his nipples. "Fuck..." Dave breathed as he twisted off the cap of the lubricant and squeezed some out on his hand.

"I think that's the idea," John whispered as he leaned back again so Dave could reach his member. Dave wrapped his hand around his own penis, coating it liberally with lubricant because he knew John had only done this once before, and he didn't want to hurt him in any way. When that was finished, Dave put more on his hand and warmed it between his fingers to use it on John. Suddenly, John wrapped his hand around Dave's lubricated cock, pumping it slowly and teasingly.

"Stop..." Dave said huskily, breathing roughly as he closed his eyes, a small moan escaping his lips with each breath. "I can't...I can't concentrate."

"What do you need to concentrate on?" John asked, a puzzled smile on his face. "Oh!" he exclaimed, wide-eyed, as he felt Dave slide one finger inside of him. He smiled sheepishly. "That..."

Dave smiled good-naturedly as John's greedy ass just took his finger right in, moving his hips with it each time it slid in and out of him. Soon, John felt two fingers inside of him, and he waited for what he knew Dave was going to do, what Dave loved to do to him, but even when expecting it, John gasped in surprise and closed his eyes as he felt the younger man brush over his prostate, sending a wave of pleasure through him. Opening his eyes, he saw Dave watching him carefully, making sure that John was enjoying himself. It was almost as if he got pleasure by *giving* John pleasure, and none of John's lovers had ever been like that.

Finally, three fingers were easily sliding in and out of John, and Dave knew that it was time to move on to the real thing. Removing his fingers from John's ass, he placed both hands on John's waist and guided him carefully to his erect cock, which had been ready and waiting rather impatiently, pre-cum already dripping from it. Getting the drift of what Dave wanted to do, John lowered himself over Dave's cock, remembering to relax and moaning in pleasure as he felt Dave inside of him, a feeling that John loved and hoped to never get used to because it was so unique and he'd never felt anything like it in his whole life.

As Dave started thrusting against John, the older man took Dave's hands in his own just as he'd done the night before, holding them tightly as the two men started moving in harmony. An idea came to John's mind as Dave raised his hips off of the mattress once more to thrust against him, and the next time Dave moved to do that, John lifted himself higher, disabling Dave from moving higher into him. And the younger man raised his hips even higher, but John just lifted himself higher.

"That's not fair," Dave said, frustrated, as John smiled mischievously. Trying again, he once again failed, and immediately pouted, looking oh-so- very cute to John. Then, suddenly, Dave smiled mischievously, and he pulled John's hands down, pulling John down as well, and started thrusting again.

"Cheater," John said with a smile as they regained their rhythm once more. When John felt Dave grasp his hands tighter, he knew that the younger man was going to go over the edge soon, so he removed one of his hands from Dave's to pump his own cock, hoping to time it perfectly so they would come at the same time, just as they had the night before. But when Dave saw this, he slapped John's hand away, and the older man looked at him questioningly. "What?"

"You don't touch that," he said, wrapping his own hand around it, causing John to gasp in pleasure. He started pumping it himself, twisting and tugging and jerking him off better than John could do himself. And through his pleasure, he barely heard Dave say: "It's mine. You're mine. All of you. Forever. God, you're mine, John, you are mine..."

And when words turned into intelligible phrases, when breathing became harsh and rapid, when thrusting became quicker and more intense, when eyes closed and heads were thrown back, when the world faded and nothing was left but two men in this moment, here and now, John and Dave came almost perfectly in tune with one another, hard and fast and screaming in pure ecstasy.

When it was over, John collapsed against Dave's chest, the younger man's cock sliding out of him, leaving him to only want more, and Dave reached over to the nightstand with one hand, grabbing some tissues out of the box. He guided John to his side, cleaning up both of them with the tissues, and then discarding them by balling them up and placing them on the nightstand to be thrown away later. Then, Dave wrapped his arms around John, holding him close, once again touching the scars on his back gently with his fingertips. No lover John had had touched his scars at all, let alone like *that*, and it sent a chill up his spine.

"Does it still hurt?" Dave asked quietly.

"Sometimes. Lately," John replied just as softly. He could see Dave's questioning eyes in the light of the moon, which was shining through the open curtains. "I was going to lunch with Abby at Doc's a few weeks ago when I slipped in the street and fell."

Another chill passed through John's spine as Dave caressed his scars. The younger man looked up apologetically. "I'm sorry. Does that hurt when I do that?"

"No," John stated. "No one's ever done that before, and...just the way you do it..." He broke into a sheepish smile, almost embarrassed to admit that he could melt under another man's touch. Dave just simply smiled softly.

And, lying side by side, wrapped in each other's arms, touching each other's bodies with their hands gently, eyes sliding closed in exhaustion, Dave said: "You know, this is the second night in a row we fall asleep together, like this."

His eyes closed, John simply kissed Dave on the lips tenderly, the kiss saying everything without John having to make a sound. And Dave was listening to every word he wasn't saying. "Goodnight, Dave."

"Goodnight, John."

And for the first time in a long time, David Malucci fell asleep with a smile on his face.

-------------------------------

I want something more than this...

-------------------------------
Chapter Nine - Somebody Else by The She Devil
------------------------------------- Chapter Nine: Somebody Else -------------------------------------

Can't change this feeling

I'm way out of touch

Can't change this meaning

When it means too much

-------------------------------------

At this point and time in his life, John Carter was very, very confused. There were some things he wasn't sure about, some things that he was, and there was one thing that he definitely knew, but he wasn't sure if he particularly liked it.

One thing that John was sure about was that since the stabbing, he hadn't felt safe. There was always a feeling in the back of his mind whenever he entered the hospital - especially when he entered Curtain Area Three - which he couldn't exactly place. Relationships had gone awry because of this feeling; he never felt comfortable with his lovers, always felt as if something could happen, something like what had happened to him almost two years ago this coming Valentine's Day, destroying everything. He didn't allow that to happen the only way he could: he stopped the relationship.

He didn't go from one woman to another or anything like that, it was usually just a cycle. It would start out fine, he'd finally be glad that he found someone, and then a month or so later, this feeling, that stupid feeling, would creep up on him, invading his mind and drowning out his optimism about the relationship, and he'd have to end it before anything serious could happen.

With Dave, he felt safe. For the first time in a long time, he felt safe. That had to mean something, didn't it? It had to mean that this wasn't just some sort of experiment, some sort of walk on the wild side for him. He hoped that Dave felt the same way, because he wasn't sure if he could handle this experience and have the reputed lady-killer throw him away as soon as he was finished with him.

John rolled over, wrapping himself in a type of cocoon with the linens, feeling an emptiness that wasn't much unlike the one next to him in bed. Ever since Dave had left for work that morning from his apartment, he couldn't stop thinking about the man - and not just now, but since they'd first slept together, which had been weeks ago. He just couldn't get him out of his mind no matter how hard he tried. God, it was like when he was using drugs again, but this time Dave was the drug, and he was addicted again. He wondered what it all meant. He'd never done this sort of thing before, so how could he possibly know? He'd usually go to his Gamma for advice, but the risk of her having a heart attack and keeling over right then and there when faced with this particular problem.

His grandmother...now, she was a factor that would have to be dealt with sooner or later, probably more sooner than later, since she was beginning to become suspicious. Lately, John had been away from the mansion more often, sometimes seeing Dave in between their shifts at the hospital, and spending nights at his apartment. And as they saw each other every chance they got, and as the nights John slept over occurred more and more often, she was beginning to ask questions.

"When are we going to meet her?" she'd even asked casually one morning at breakfast.

"Who?"

"Your new girlfriend," was the simple reply, and John had almost choked on his scrambled eggs. He'd quickly managed to duck out of it, explaining that they weren't too serious about each other yet and he didn't want to have her meet his family until he knew they were in fact serious, and Gamma had let it slide - for now, he knew it was only for now. Eventually, if this thing lasted, which was the real question at hand here, she would ask him again, this time refusing to take no for an answer. Then he would be able to ask for advice, unless she *did* keel over and die of shock.

So for right now, he'd have to simply wing it and just go with the flow. And, for now, he liked the flow. If it wanted to take him somewhere, he would go willingly. Just where it would take him was the real question. This was one of the things that he wasn't sure of.

He was, though, sure of some things about Dave, little things that he'd discovered while spending time with the younger man. Dave loved to cook, making everything from simple burgers to fancy things like filet mignon. And he was good at it too. And John loved to watch him cook, loved watching the way his hands moved deftly over the stove, the way Dave slightly swayed his hips to the music he would play on the stereo while he did so, sometimes humming softly and sometimes singing, his voice beautiful, like a mating call, managing to summon John from any room in the apartment.

Dave also gets up in the middle of the night, puttering around the house, either cleaning or reading or watching television, or some other such thing. John had first found this out when turning over in bed, and feeling only the cold mattress. He'd gotten up and ventured out into the apartment to find Dave sitting on the couch, reading a medical text.

"Hey, Dave," he'd said, pulling his robe tighter around himself. Dave looked up from his book, smiling. "What are you doing awake?"

"Couldn't sleep," he'd quickly replied, closing the text and placing it on the coffee table. "What about you?"

"Got lonely," he'd said, sitting down next to Dave on the couch, curling his long legs underneath him. Dave yawned then, arching his back, and as his robe opened a bit, John caught sight of a scar on his chest. John knew the reason why Dave woke up in the middle of the night, sometimes out of breath, sometimes screaming, and why he generally stayed awake until odd hours of the morning. Once, he'd even asked what the nightmares were about, but Dave had made light of it, saying that they were silly and not worth talking about, brushing it off. But when John had persisted, he'd snapped that he just didn't want to talk about it. Ever.

And Dave was right: he didn't want to know, because he knew that whatever made Dave wake up in the middle of the night every night, drenched in sweat and screaming in terror, had to be horrible. So John had taken the easy way out and dropped it. And that was the end of that.

John groaned, turning in bed once more. It just wasn't as comfortable without Dave in it, but it was still far too early to get up and do anything; it was only six o'clock in the morning. He figured that he could feed the cat as he promised Dave he would, and then go home, but he didn't want to leave. He wanted to stay here, until his half-shift started. And, yes, he had some clothes over here, along with some toiletries. He remembered when Dave had brought it up during dinner one day:

"You know, John..." he'd said casually, throwing some spices over the chicken cutlets he was cooking over the stove. John had looked up from the kitchen table, where he was drinking some soda, watching Dave cook. "Instead of having to go back to your house in the morning, why don't you just bring some stuff over here? Doesn't seem right to make you go all the way home if you want to spend the night, you know?"

"Sure," John had replied, though he wasn't sure why. This had been about a couple weeks into the...relationship? Could John even call it that? So, John hadn't actually known why he'd said yes in reply. But he did know that he'd been delighted that Dave had even suggested the idea, even as he wondered what was happening to him, to *them*.

Tonight though, John's half-shift started a half-hour after Dave got off. Dave had realized their dilemma while getting ready for work that morning, in search of something to wear, and he'd begun to mope about how by the time Dave came home, John would have to leave. John had simply smiled from his cocoon in the bedcovers, watching Dave scramble around the apartment, rushing before he was late, and had told Dave that he would leave early, and meet him at Doc's, and they could enjoy a late lunch or early dinner, depending on how you looked at it. He smiled now, glad to know that he'd be able to spend some time with Dave today.

Finally finding a position that he was comfortable with, John curled up into a fetal position, inhaling the scent of Dave from the covers. Dave had the most incredible scent. He closed his eyes, letting out a content sigh, burying his head into the pillows as he drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

Oh, wait, that's right. What was the thing that John was definitely sure about but wasn't sure if he particularly liked it?

He was falling in love with David Malucci.

-------------------------------------

Never been so lonely

Never felt so good

Can't be the only one

Misunderstood

-------------------------------------

"Gina, stop that!"

"I'm not Gina!"

"Tammy, sorry."

"I'm not Tammy!"

"Well, whoever you are, just stop it! You're giving me a headache!!"

"Mommy gets headaches a lot."

"It's no wonder why!" Dave snapped at the little girl standing before him. She stopped pounding on the instrument tray table with a piece of metal that one of her brothers had broken off of an IV pole, and immediately burst into tears. Dave sighed, picking her up, and she began to get tears and snot all over his scrub top. "I'm sorry, sweetie, I'm just a little worn out, that's all. Don't cry, okay? Please stop crying?"

He held the crying six-year-old in his arms, his eyes closed as he rubbed his temples with his free hand, attempting to rub away his growing headache. During his shift, he'd encountered this family of seven - six kids and one exhausted mother. One of the children had fallen and cut up his arm, and Dave had been the unlucky doctor to be assigned to suture him. To make things worse, Abby, being the people person that she was, offered to take the mother to the cafeteria, because the poor women never got a break from her children. So, of course, Dave had naturally been stuck babysitting six screaming, whining, disruptive brats.

"You jerk!" That was the only warning he got before a swift kick to his shin. He turned to Gina's - Tammy's - no, *Eliza's* nine-year-old brother with surprise, wondering just what the hell that was for. "You made my sister cry!"

"I'm gonna make you cry in a second if you don't start behaving like a human being!" he said, something catching his eye in the corner of the room. "Tommy! Get out of that cabinet and you better put those down or I'm going to staple them to your head!" The boy immediately dropped the four-by-fours, running away from them before the mean doctor carried out his threat. Another kick. "Hey! Stop that!"

"You leave my brothers and sisters alone!" the little boy - whose name Dave could not remember for the life of him - said defiantly, his arms crossed over his chest. "You aren't our mother and you can't tell us what to do!"

"Kid, you are *lucky* I'm not your mother!" Dave said, aiming a threatening finger at him. "If I was I swear to God, I'd - " Suddenly, the little girl in his arms let out a sneeze right in his face, and he gasped in surprise as he closed his eyes, opening them once more to see the six kids laughing at him. He glared at the little girl in his arms, biting back a string of obscenities that would make a sailor blush. So instead, he said a simple: "Bless you."

"Thank you," Eliza replied sweetly, smiling innocently.

"You're fucking welcome," he said, losing his composure slightly. Almost instantly, the children gasped and pointed, giggling as they offered "Oohh's," otherwise interpreted as, "You're gonna get in trouble!" He sighed, rolling his eyes, and then checked his watch before turning to Eliza with a strained smile. "When Abby gets back here, she's going to get it."

-------------------------------------

I remind myself of somebody else

-------------------------------------

A few hours later, with the brats safely at home where they could no longer be a menace to society, Dave sat at the Admin desk, his headache a full-blown migraine by now. And, just his luck, a couple of those brats had been sick, and the Junior Resident had now caught the cold they'd been harboring. Great, Dave thought as he sneezed - and then proceeded to do so several more times.

"Would you stop it already?" Randi snapped from the other side of the admin desk, looking up from her Vogue with annoyance.

He glanced at her incredulously. "Shut up. As if I can help it?"

"Hello," Randi said, holding her hands out as if to show him his surroundings. He briefly looked around before returning his gaze back to her. "You're a doctor, and you're in an ER. Diagnose yourself, take something, and you'll be fine by tomorrow."

"Jeeze, Randi," Dave said sarcastically, standing. "I'm surprised you aren't a doctor yourself."

"Someone has to keep this place in working order," she said, shrugging, returning to her magazine.

Dave began to walk towards the drug lockup, smiling as he shook his head. Yawning deeply as he stepped inside, he glanced at his watch to see that his shift was over. His smile broadened as he remembered that John was going to be waiting at Doc's for him. He hadn't seen the older man since about five o'clock this morning, when he'd woken up to the alarm clock with a groan, having to work the morning shift that day, and he was glad that he'd finally get to see him after twelve hours of hell in this place.

"What're you smiling about?" he heard. He glanced up to see Abby restocking, balancing a large box on her hip.

"I'm off," he said, crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned in the doorway. From the other doorway into this drug lockup, Luka entered, his eyes glancing over the two before quickly shifting to the cabinet, where he searched for some medication or another. Dave had only spoken with him briefly lately - when it was necessary - and from rumors he'd heard that the Attending was leaving for Bosnia soon, to spend a few months there for a Doctors Without Borders program. And Dave also knew that when he left, some much-needed space between the two would finally occur.

"Hey, Luka," she said to him, and he offered a small smile in response. She glanced at Dave, grinning. "That'd make anyone smile. I've still got nine hours left in this place. That reminds me: Are we still getting dinner tomorrow?"

It wasn't a rarity to see Abby and Dave grabbing a meal together, or hanging out outside of work. Over the course of the last few weeks, since they'd first shared a coffee in the cafeteria and she'd offered him wise advice, they'd become close friends, understanding each other, getting along with each other, and generally having a good time with each other. But this wasn't something that Dave wanted discussed in front of Luka, especially with rumors abounding that Dave was seeing the Attending's ex-girlfriend. Don't think he hadn't caught that brief look that Luka had given him just now.

"Uh...yeah, sure," Dave replied, rubbing the nape of his neck nervously. He caught Abby's eye, and she nodded subtly towards Luka. Dave nodded, answering her unspoken question of what was suddenly bothering him. "I just came in for some Benadryl before I left."

Reaching for the Benadryl, he caught sight of the Dexedrine. He still had a couple pills at home in his medicine cabinet, just sitting on the glass shelves behind his bathroom mirror. He furrowed his brow in thought, thinking about how John was at his apartment all day, and spent a good amount of his time there. What if he found them? Dave had snuck a few pills from the drug lockup over the past few weeks, but perhaps he should take those tonight just in case, so that there would be no chance of the Chief Resident finding them.

You could throw them away, his alter ego suggested as he took a couple Benadryls to ward off his oncoming cold. But at least if he did take them, then he'd have a little pick-me-up, some staying power in bed tonight, and it wouldn't be such a waste. And he could use a little pick-me-up after a day like today in the ER, especially after those six bratty kids.

Dave quickly said goodbye to Abby, and exited the drug lockup at that moment, suddenly in a better mood - but a bit unnerved as to why, though he allowed that thought to stay at the back of his mind.

-------------------------------------

Feeling like I'm chasing,

Like I'm facing myself alone

I've got somebody else's thoughts in my head

I want some of my own

-------------------------------------

"You two are close, aren't you?" Luka asked Abby as soon as he felt Dave was out of earshot. He'd heard the rumors about the two being involved, but at first he hadn't believed them. Then, he'd begun to see how Abby and Dave had slowly become friendlier with each other, too friendly for his liking. And after their exchange in the drug lockup just now, he wasn't sure if he didn't believe it so much anymore.

"Yeah," Abby replied as she pulled out a bottle of morphine, checking it off on her inventory and placing it on the shelf with the rest of them, pretending she hadn't heard that strange tone in Luka's voice.

"Closer than friends?" he asked as calmly as possible, though Abby sure as hell couldn't pretend she didn't hear that slight edge in his voice.

She turned to face him, glaring. Since the rumors had started, many coworkers had been warning her about Dave, especially people like Jing-Mei and Chuny, stating that sleeping with guys like him was just asking for trouble. Over lunch, she remembered telling Dave about it, and they'd both laughed it off, though she could see in his eyes that he'd finally realized the truth: those same people like Jing-Mei and Chuny didn't think much of him. And it had affected him greatly, and she knew that it had hurt his feelings more than he would let it show. Dave was a good person, and he didn't deserve to be treated like a chauvinistic pig or an egocentric whore.

"I don't think that's any of your business," she said as politely as possible.

"Excuse me?" He turned to face her, surprise written all over his face. He wasn't sure what he was expecting her to say, certainly hadn't expected *that* kind of an answer. She kept her glare fixed on him, her lips pursed. "Abby, I'm just trying to - "

"Trying to what?" she snapped. "Warn me? Because I've gotten enough of that from the rest of the staff. You know, Dave's a really great guy, and you and the rest of them would see that if you just got to know him."

"How well *do* you know him?" Luka retorted, his annoyance rising.

"Better than you ever will."

"Oh really?" Luka asked, his brow furrowed in anger. "Then I guess you know that Dave likes his men as much as he likes his women?"

"What?" Abby asked. She shook her head, hardly able to believe that Luka would stoop to say something so low. "Whatever, Luka, I'm not going to stand here and argue with you, you don't even know what you're talking about."

"Don't I?" he asked her as she stormed from the room, leaving him alone in the drug lockup, his jaw clenched. He leaned his head against the open door of the cabinet, sighing. Dave and Abby were a couple, his ex-girlfriend and his ex - his ex-what? Fuckboy? Certainly not boyfriend or lover, they'd never gotten that close.

And that brought another thought to his mind: What had happened to John Carter? Had the Chief Resident backed out of the relationship as soon as he'd jumped into it? Had the he done the same thing Luka himself had done? Possibly missed his chance, just as Luka had? Perhaps Dave had misled him into believing that he was after John just so he could go for Abby without Luka intervening, knowing that the Attending still had some sort of feelings towards the woman?

Well, whatever *had* happened, Abby was still right, and he knew it. He hadn't gotten to know Dave, like she had, and now she had him, and he didn't. And their relationship only reminded him more and more of what he'd lost: both Abby *and* Dave.

He hated them all.

-------------------------------------

Can you see me up here?

Would you bring me back down?

Cause I've been living to see my fears

As they fall to the ground

-------------------------------------

John sat inside Doc Magoo's, checking his watch to see that it was already a few minutes past Dave's shift. It was late fall/early winter, which meant that the sun was already set at this time of the evening, but the lights of the hospital and ambulances illuminated the street, allowing him to glance outside to see if Dave was approaching the diner. After being unable to spot the Junior Resident, he rested his cheek against an open palm, studying the menu as he did so.

Growing considerably anxious after he'd decided what he would eat and drink, John glanced out the window once more: Still no Dave. Looking back to the menu, he found himself once again wondering what was happening to him. Every moment of his life seemed to be enveloped by Dave, and when Dave wasn't with him, that's all the Chief Resident thought about. And every time he found himself wondering this, he also found himself thinking that he could be falling in love with Dave. And if he wasn't falling in love yet, he sure knew he wasn't far from it.

This arose another question that John dreaded: Was Dave really serious about this? Was John just another fling for Dave? Or was this something that was going to last? John sure wished he were one of those people that could live in the here-and-now right about now, but he couldn't help but think about the future, *their* future.

He glanced around the diner, watching couples flirting and chatting, and he wondered why he couldn't be one of those people. Why did he have to be different? But he was happy, dammit, he could at least say that. With Dave, he was happy. Were *those* people really happy? Did it really matter how different he was if he was happy?

"Hey, handsome," he suddenly heard, and nearly jumped out of his skin. Dave slid into the seat across from him, smiling broadly, and, without even knowing it, John suddenly found himself smiling as well. Dave shrugged his jacket off, placing it on the seat next to him. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long, I got tied up. God, I feel like shit so I took an Benadryl before I left."

"You're getting sick?" John asked, just as a waitress in one of those ugly pink uniforms came over, offering coffee. John nodded, as did Dave, and she immediately filled their cups before heading off to pour some more cups of coffee for other customers. "Thanks. What do you think you have?"

"A cold," Dave replied, glancing over the menu as he leaned an elbow on the table, proceeding to rub his temple with his forefingers as he'd done earlier. He glanced up at John with a small smile. "And a headache. My shift was hell. Can you believe that for an hour I was stuck babysitting six bratty kids? I know I can't."

John smiled. "Did Weaver put you up to that?"

"Ha!" Dave said, leaning back in his seat. "No, but that wouldn't have been surprising. Hey, listen, John..." The waitress came back around to take their orders, interrupting what Dave had begun to say. When she left after Dave ordered a bacon cheeseburger and fries, and John ordered a club sandwich and fries, the younger man leaned forward. "When's the next day you have off?"

"Wednesday."

"Damn," he muttered, leaning back again, this time in defeat. He looked up at the older man, pouting in that oh-so-very cute way that he could. "I've got Friday off. Maybe I could trade with Cleo..."

"I'll switch the days on the roster," John said quickly. Dave and he hadn't had a day off together in the few weeks that they'd been seeing each other, and it sure would be fun if they did. He knew Dave still had some tricks in bed hidden up his sleeve, as the younger man had put it the other night, and he'd love to see what exactly he did have hidden. He also knew that during these few weeks they'd been together, Dave had only fucked him, and he'd love to get the chance to return the favor.

Dave smiled broadly, and John smiled back. "I guess sleeping with the Chief Resident really *does* have its advantages!"

"Dave, keep it down," John hissed, leaning forward as his smile suddenly disappeared, his brow furrowing while he glanced around the restaurant. Jesus Christ, what if someone overheard what Dave had just said?! It didn't look like anyone had, but that didn't mean it couldn't happen the next time Dave decided to blurt it out.

"What?" Dave's brow furrowed as well, as he also glanced around the diner, wondering who could've overheard anything that John didn't want them to. And then it hit him like a ton of bricks: everyone. He looked back to John. "Oh. You don't..."

John didn't want to come out yet. John had always seemed distant and withdrawn at work or out on the town in places where they knew people. Dave had assumed that he just hadn't wanted to draw attention to them, knowing from experience what harassment two men in a relationship could get. But he didn't think that John would be afraid if complete strangers overheard, like the people surrounding them now. They'd never actually talked about this, never actually talked about anything meaningful like their feelings or coming out, but Dave guessed that that was all right for now. Eventually, they would. Unless...John wasn't *ashamed* of Dave, was he? No...John wasn't the kind of person to base things on class and money...but his peers were...his family. But that didn't matter to John, did it? John just wasn't ready to come out, that was all. He gave John another small smile, this one reassuring, though he wasn't sure if it was for John's sake or his own.

"Sorry," Dave said with a small smile. "I didn't realize..."

"That's okay," John replied, leaning back in his seat, the tension leaving his body as the waitress came over and placed their meals down in front of them. "Just...don't let it happen again. I mean...try to be careful, Dave...discreet. You can be discreet, right?"

"Sure," Dave said, holding his hands up to brush it off, giving one of those casual shrugs that John knew meant more than it seemed. He watched Dave look away from him and to the street outside, and then back to him, smiling. But his eyes always gave away his emotions, which is probably why he'd turned away in the first place - he didn't want John to see just how hurt he really was.

-------------------------------------

I remind myself of somebody else

-------------------------------------

With John having already left to start his shift at County General, Dave Malucci exited Doc Magoo's, snow gently falling but melting quickly in the wet street. He glanced up at the night sky, remembering winters in New York when he was a child, building snowmen with Miranda and then dressing them up in scarves and hats and mittens, because girls didn't like to have snowball fights, but she was his best friend so he helped her just to please her. And, then, of course, having a snowball fight with Miranda because he wanted to, and he was her best friend so she did it just to please him. He smiled as he watched the snowflakes fall onto his open palm, wishing he could have those fun times back again; his life was rarely that fun anymore.

Sighing, he crossed the street, dodging any oncoming ambulances rushing to get to the ER as he moved to the bicycle rack. It'd be a long ride home in this biting weather, but John would be with him in a few hours, and nothing could possibly be that bad when that reward would come soon. What it was a reward for, Dave didn't know, but he did know that he sure as hell didn't deserve someone as special as John.

Kneeling down next to his bike, he began to unlock the chain when he suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder. Taken by surprise, he spun as he stood upright, apprehensive with fists ready to fly because any type of psycho could wander to this dark corner of the ambulance bay.

"Luka," he breathed, relief washing over him. "You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry," he said, but he didn't even sound remotely apologetic, and the fire in his eyes indicated that he certainly didn't *feel* apologetic either. "Didn't mean to startle you."

Dave narrowed his eyes, hesitant as to why Luka would approach him...in a dark corner of the ambulance bay. Stupid thoughts, he said silently to himself. Don't think like an idiot. But John's inquiry a few weeks ago hadn't been that far off: on some level or another, Dave *was* afraid of Luka. He knew that he could easily beat the older man in a fight, probably cause serious injury if he wanted, but Dave also knew that when he was a teenager, he could've easily beaten his father in a fight, probably cause serious injury if he wanted. But he hadn't. When people were afraid, they didn't think straight, and they didn't have enough wits about them to defend themselves.

But why did Dave always associate Luka with his father? Luka was not a mean person by nature, and before the huge fight that the two had had, ending their relationship for what he'd thought had been for good, he'd seen the good in him. It'd been what had drawn him to the Attending in the first place. But Dave couldn't help but see Luka's sporadic brusqueness and be reminded of his father. Dave couldn't help but see Luka's anger in an argument and be reminded of his father. And Dave couldn't help but see Luka's sudden - and sometimes violent - temper, and be reminded of his father. And he knew that Luka was not a bad person, was almost nothing like his father, but he couldn't help it.

"Is there something you wanted?" Dave asked, turning towards his bike again to finish unlocking it. But Luka reached out and grabbed Dave's arm, stopping him from moving any further. Dave looked up at Luka now, his brow furrowed in confusion. "What's your problem?"

"I just saw you in Doc Magoo's with Carter," Luka stated, his words edged with anger. He'd been standing outside in the ambulance bay, waiting for a trauma to arrive, when he'd noticed the two across the street, sitting at a booth by the window, talking, laughing and - he could even see it from across the street - flirting.

"Yeah, so?" he asked, yanking his arm out of Luka's grip. "We had lunch, what's it to you?"

"What is this to *you*?" Luka asked, his expression showing his disgust. "A game?"

"What the fuck are you talking about?" he asked, because he sure as hell would like to know.

"You're seeing Carter on the side, is that it?" Luka asked, stepping closer to Dave, and then recognition crossed Dave's face, and everything clicked, and he knew exactly what Luka was talking about. "You're dating Abby, and you're cheating on her with Carter? This is fun for you, to play with people's feelings like that?"

"Abby and I...John's..." He stopped, suddenly looking up at Luka defiantly. "My life is none of your business."

"When it deals with people I care about, it is," he stated, placing his open palms on Dave's chest, shoving him against the bike rack.

"Don't fucking touch me."

"Why? What are you going to do about it?" Luka asked harshly, grabbing Dave's collar and yanking the younger man towards him. Dave managed to repress his gasp of surprise, though he couldn't stop his heart from doing ninety miles per hour. Luka stared Dave down, standing flush to him. "Hurt her, and I'll hurt you."

He shoved Dave back against the bike rack once more, turning sharply on his heel and walking away from the Junior Resident, who immediately straightened out his shirt and jacket. He licked his dry lips, running his hand through his hair and then grasping at it, wondering just what the fuck he was going to do.

-------------------------------------

Feeling like I'm chasing,

Like I'm facing myself alone

I've got somebody else's thoughts in my head

I want some of my own

-------------------------------------

Several hours later, when the events of an almost-slip at lunch had dissipated in his mind, and all that was left was the fact that he'd seen Dave, John Carter was driving home after his half-shift, listening to the rock radio station, humming to the music and drumming his fingers against the steering wheel. In such a great mood, he'd barely noticed that he'd called Dave's apartment "home." It was, in fact, where he'd been practically living for the past few weeks, so he might as well. Perhaps he and Dave could get an apartment together, a nicer and roomier one. But it was too early to think about that yet, he wasn't even sure if this thing was serious or not yet.

But what Abby had said earlier to him in the Lounge ran through his head, as it had been doing all day, over and over again, and the smile that had been plastered on his face then was still on it now, from just thinking about the exchange.

* * *

"Hey, John," she had said, leaning against the locker next to his as he sifted through his own, trying to find his car keys in this mess. His shift had been finally over, and he could finally go home - to Dave. And, yes, he'd even referred to it as home then.

"Hey, Abby," he'd replied. "As soon as I find my keys, I'm out of here, so if you need help with a patient, I'm going to refuse right now and save you the time of asking."

"No, listen, I just wanted to ask you a question," she said, and John glanced at her expectantly out of the corner of his eye. Gotcha, he thought as he felt the cool metal of his keys reach his fingertips. "You and Dave are close, right?"

He went still.

"What do you mean?" was the slow reply.

"Well, everyone's noticed how you guys have become friends over the past few weeks," she replied, eyeing him suspiciously. What was suddenly up with him? "You're a good influence on him, you know."

"Right," John said, a billion thoughts running through his mind. Everyone noticed? No one thought anything of it though, did they? Lots of people in the hospital were close friends, right? No one cared...Dave and John didn't share public affection, except for the occasional joking innuendo offered by either man, similar innuendoes that they offered other staff members. Should they stop those so no one would think too much of it and find out about them? He suddenly remembered Abby standing beside him. "So...what's your question?"

"Oh, right," she said, getting back on track. "Do you...happen to know who he's seeing?"

"Excuse me?" he asked, slightly surprised.

"He mentioned her at lunch a few weeks ago," Abby stated, "but he wouldn't tell me who she was, only that I'd met her. And his clues other than that were pretty vague, though I hear it's going well."

"She?" He immediately regretted saying that as soon as he had. Shit, how could he let that slip? It'd just surprised him that Abby had referred to who Dave was seeing as a woman, though he wasn't sure why. Certainly Dave wouldn't tell Abby he was seeing a man. He quickly recovered, pulling out his keys quickly and closing his locker door, then turning to face her. "I mean, what else did he say about her?"

"All he told me," she continued, and if she'd noticed his sudden surprise, she hid it very well, "was that she was smart, funny, good looking, special, and rich. And the only person I can think of is..." - here it came - "Jing-Mei. You don't think he's dating *her*, do you?"

"No," John said, compressing his sigh of relief. He grinned, instead. "I think she made it clear long ago that he had no chance with her. Moreover, rumor has it that the lucky lady is *you*."

"Oh, please..." She waved off the suggestion, shaking her head as she did so. "I'm sick and tired of hearing about that already. Half the hospital is warning me and the other half is asking me if he's really as great in bed as he says. Besides, I'm not rich."

"Hey," John said, laughing. "Four outta five ain't bad."

* * *

Special, John thought now, nearing Dave's apartment. Dave thought he was special. But just what did special mean? Always the question coming to mind, he thought to himself. What kind of relationship did he have with Dave? Were they friends who had sex or were they more than that? He knew he cared about Dave, but did Dave honestly care in that way about him? He recalled Dave explaining to John that he wanted something more than just sex, but did they really have anything more than that?

He furrowed his brow, thinking of all the times Dave had showed affection for him in other places besides the bed: Those soft smiles that John only got to see, the gentle caresses, the sweet kisses, the stolen glances, and that flicker of mischief in Dave's eyes when the younger man was up to something.

That was surely more than just sex. That was a full-blown romance, the same kind John had had with a few other women before. So why was it so hard for John to be able to think of it as serious? Because it was with Dave? God...all this thinking was causing him to overanalyze everything. He'd just simply have to ask Dave about this later.

Pulling up to Dave's apartment, he shut off the Jeep and stepped out, grabbing his knapsack and threw it over his shoulder, locking the Jeep and then heading up the front steps. He stepped inside, heading up the stairs rather than take the elevator, but only because the elevator was out of order, and from what Dave had told him, it'd been broken for several months and probably would be for many more. A new apartment was just looking more and more appealing by the moment.

John soon reached Dave's apartment, finding the door open, something Dave did when he knew John was coming over. The Chief Resident stepped inside and threw his satchel to the side of the door, where Dave kept his own knapsack that he brought to the ER daily. As he was removing his jacket, he could hear the shower running, but he could also hear music gently flowing through the air. But...it was classical music. Since when did Dave listen to anything besides Metallica or The Red Hot Chili Peppers?

"Dave?" he called out into the apartment, loosening his tie around his neck until it undid itself and hung around his neck. He began unbuttoning his shirt, getting ready to change into some sweats for bed. He stepped into the bedroom, which was directly across from the bathroom. "Is that you?"

The glass door slid open, and Dave stuck his head out for a minute, smiling broadly at John from across the hallway. "Last time I checked," he replied, before closing the door again and finishing up his shower.

John shook his head, smiling. So Dave listened to classical music in the shower. The man surprised John more and more every day. As Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" began wafting through the air, John stripped off his shirt, throwing it into a nearby laundry basket before pulling off his pants and then his undershirt, until he stood in only his undershorts.

Quite unexpectedly, and therefore taking him by surprise, John felt a pair of strong arms wrap around his waist, and a pair of full lips make contact with his neck, sucking gently at first, then biting and flicking his tongue over the sensitive skin, leaving a perfect love-bite so no one would mistake it for anything other than that, letting everyone know that John was taken, even if they didn't know by whom. He felt Dave press against his backside, feeling the slickness of Dave's hot wet skin from his shower - and also feeling the raging hard-on that the younger man was sporting.

John turned in Dave's arms, looking down into the younger man's eyes, smiling as he ran his hands over Dave's body, the fact that Dave's skin was still wet and warm from the shower causing him to gain a raging hard-on of his own. Dave moved one of his hands to cup the side of John's face, and John turned slightly towards it, taking Dave's thumb into his mouth and sucking on it gently. Over the course of their brief relationship, John had only given Dave a blowjob once. He remembered that both men had been very drunk that night, and that it hadn't been mentioned the next morning, or ever again. John had thought at the time he'd been giving it that he wasn't doing that bad of a job, especially since Dave had been moaning and almost begging for more, but he had to assume so now, since that was the only reason he could think for it to be brushed over like that. It wasn't to say that he couldn't get better with a little practice...but only if Dave would let him try.

Dave's fingers were now hooking at the rim of John's boxers, pulling at them playfully, a smile on the Junior Resident's face. But something was off about Dave tonight, and John couldn't quite figure out what it was. He pulled his mouth away from Dave's fingers, pausing to ask: "Have you been drinking, Dave?"

"No..." he said, keeping that smile. He bit his lip, looking down before looking back up at John from under his brow, his voice almost singsong as he said: "I want to fuck you."

"Oh really?" John asked, grinning, standing flush to Dave, knocking his hard cock against Dave's, draping his arms over the younger man's shoulders. Dave's smile broadened as he nodded, his eyes full of mischief and hunger, his fingers just itching to act out upon it. John leaned in close to Dave's ear, a thought coming to mind, and while he ran his fingers on one hand through Dave's hair, he whispered: "But when am *I* going to get a turn?"

"What?" Dave asked, his tone abruptly sharp and terse. He placed his hands on John's waist, moving him at arm's length, the Junior Resident's handsome face contorted with a sudden anger that John hadn't been expecting. "What do you mean: 'get a turn??' You don't 'get a turn.' You think this is some kind of game, where you 'get a turn??'"

"No! That's not what I meant!" John said hastily, as Dave let go of his waist and took a few steps back. Why was he suddenly so upset? "I just...I mean...all this time, you've been...fucking me, and I just thought that I might be able to return the favor, that's all."

This only seemed to make Dave angrier. "Return the favor? Return the - John, when I do things for you, it's because I want to, not because I expect you to 'return the favor.'"

"I know that, Dave," he said, trying to find the right words so he wouldn't make Dave more upset than he already seemed to be. "I just want to be able to pleasure you too..."

"Well, I don't get pleasure out of that!" Dave yelled as he began to pace around the room.

"I do," John replied honestly, watching Dave carefully. And certainly Dave had to know that too, from the many nights of passion they'd shared, from the many nights John had screamed out, begging for more.

"Good for you."

"Have you ever even tried it?" John asked as he sat down on the edge of the bed, knowing that pride could be an issue in all this. Perhaps Dave hadn't let another man do something so invading and intimate to him, and he might be scared. Now, of course, the bravado that was David Malucci would never admit to that. But perhaps with a little coaxing and encouragement, John could get Dave to try it. After all, John liked it, so that had to be some sort of reassurance that Dave could possibly like it too.

"Yes!" Dave hissed, throwing that idea out the window. His words were too vicious for this conversation that should've never escalated to this. Why was he overreacting like this? There had to be something more to it than just pride, John was sure of that now. "I didn't like it. And I won't do it. So shut up about it."

"Fine..." John said, his eyes narrowing as he realized he was treading into unknown - and sensitive - territory. David Malucci's life before their relationship had started was still very much a mystery to John, still as much so as it had been a few weeks ago, in fact. But he could concur one thing: someone had taken advantage of him. What exactly had happened, he wasn't sure, but that thought alone upset him almost as much as Dave was upset now. He tried to offer some sort of reassuring words: "But just because you didn't like it then, doesn't mean you won't like it now."

"John..." Dave said, an odd tone in his voice that was somewhere between distress and weariness. He sat down next to John, his hands in his lap, his eyes lowered. Glancing at Dave, John could see that his hands were shaking, and Dave tried to cover it up by folding his hands and continuously fidgeting with them. He paused for a moment before looking up and at John, his desperation in his expression. "Please...just...just drop it, okay?"

John nodded, trying to understand this. And he suddenly recalled all the times he'd tried to touch Dave's most sensitive areas, and all the times that Dave had discreetly pulled away, distracting John while doing so, so he wouldn't notice. How could he - over the course of being intimate with the younger man for nearly a *month* - have missed the fact that Dave didn't like to be touched? No wonder why the only time he'd been able to give Dave oral sex was when the younger man was so drunk he was falling over.

* * *

He could remember the day that had happened about a week ago. Dave had been having a terrible day at work when a little girl had come in from a car accident, needing surgery. Her mother and father had died at the scene, and she was terrified inside Curtain Area Three, crying hysterically, and no matter how hard Dr. Corday or Dr. Finch tried, they could not calm her down. But Dave had stepped in against their orders thinking he would only worsen the case, talking to her soothingly, reassuring her that her mother and father were safe and she'd be safe too. He'd bonded with her within minutes. When she had to go up for surgery, she'd begun to cry again, but Dave was right there, promising her that he'd be waiting for her when she woke up, and then she'd been rushed away to the OR with hope and optimism in her eyes.

But she'd never woken up.

And, even though destined to be in a vegetative state for the rest of her now meaningless life, Dave had sat with her, waiting, waiting for hours, waiting until after his shift was over, just watching her, sometimes whispering to her words too low for anyone else to hear. Several doctors and nurses approached him, asking him if they could get him anything or do anything, and he'd just shaken his head, never taking his eyes off of the girl, always thinking of how he'd let her down, lied to her, broken his promise. He always broke his promises...

After his own shift was over, hours later, John walked up to Post-Op, watching Dave briefly through the window of the door before pushing it open and stepping inside. The younger man didn't even look up as John approached him, his expression showing his remorse. When John placed a hand on Dave's shoulder, the younger man flinched and looked up in surprise, not even realizing he'd been there.

"My shift's over," John stated, and then he indicated the door. "Want me to take you home?" Dave glanced at the little girl regretfully, as if he didn't want to leave her. "Dave, you can wait here all you want, but she isn't going to wake up," John said gently. He knelt down next to the younger man, catching his eyes and seeing the sadness in them. "If anything, you offered her comfort when she most needed it, and if that's the best thing you can do, then you did your job right."

"So lying to her is the best I could do?" Dave asked, finally saying something. John was about to comment when he continued: "Yes, that's what I did, don't try to convince me otherwise. I lied to her, John. I promised her that she was going to be okay, and I told her that her parents were okay. I lied to a dying little girl. That's not the best I could've done." He looked away briefly. "I could've..."

"Could've what, Dave?" John asked gently, his expression soft. "You weren't the surgeon, you couldn't help what complications occurred in the OR. You're not God, you can't control what happens, and you just have to accept that." Dave just sat there in silence, crossing his arms over the rail of the bed and resting his chin upon them, watching the little girl again. "Are you going to come with me?"

"No," he replied quietly. "But I'll be home soon."

Taking that as an invitation, John waited at Dave's apartment for him, keeping himself busy by watching television but unable to concentrate on anything that was on. He kept glancing at the clock, the minutes going on like hours. At three AM, four hours after he'd left Dave at the hospital, John got up and got dressed, locking up the apartment and driving to County, wondering if maybe Dave had fallen asleep during his silent vigil. But up at Post-Op, he'd found that Dave hadn't fallen asleep, he wasn't there at all. And the girl was gone too.

"Hey, Shirley?" John asked the nurse who was running the station at the time. "Have you seen Dr. Malucci? I left a few hours ago and he was here, but now he's gone..."

"Dr. Malucci?" she asked, glancing off as she tried to connect the name to a face. She suddenly looked back at him, her finger raised. "The young guy who was watching the car accident victim. An aunt came in and took the girl off the vent, and he called it about an hour ago. Left right after that. As for where he went? Sorry, but I can't help you."

"Thanks anyway," he said, heading out to his car.

"Did he know the little girl?" Shirley asked, stopping John in his tracks.

He turned back towards the nurse. "What?"

"Did he know the little girl?" she repeated, more slowly this time.

"No," he replied, shaking his head. "Why would you ask that?"

"Well, the way he just sat there and held her hand. I mean he read her books even though we all told him that she probably couldn't hear him," she said, remembering how awkward it had been for them to approach him and offer him information he probably already knew. She sighed. "When the aunt came in, he took his time with her and held her while she cried. She gave permission to disconnect life support but said that she couldn't watch her die, so she asked Dr. Malucci to stay until it was over, and he agreed. Then when he disconnected the vent and called the time of death, I went over to do the death kit, but he shooed me away and did it himself. He was so loving with her, even after she died..." She looked up at John, whose expression told her that he knew there was more. "When he left, he looked like he was crying. So I just figured he knew her."

"No, he didn't know her, Dave just loves kids," John said, remembering how close Dave had also bonded with that boy that had come in about a month ago after being abused by his father. That had also equally upset him, perhaps even more so because they shared a similar abusive background. "Thanks Shirley, I'll see you."

John walked to his car in a fog, thinking about what Shirley had said. Dave always took cases like those with kids hard, always. He sat inside for a few minutes, letting the car warm up in this winter weather, wondering where on Earth Dave could've gone. Perhaps he was home now, maybe John had missed him on the way over. But Shirley had said he'd left an *hour* ago? Where could he have gone at two o'clock in the morning? He smacked a palm for his forehead, the thought coming to him with a roll of his eyes. "The Game Room."

The Game Room was Dave's favorite bar. He knew the bartender and knew the regulars there. It was where he'd first taken John out for a drink, and where he continued to take John out for a drink often. He arrived there in about ten minutes, parking right outside the door. He caught sight of Dave's blue bike leaning against the wall nearby, which was pretty foolish because it could easily be stolen, so he hung it up to the back of his Jeep and secured it there before stepping inside of the bar.

His eyes scanned the still busy bar, even at this time in the morning, and he located Dave sitting at the bar by himself, rubbing his temples as if he had a headache while he took another long swig of his drink. John approached him, sitting down on the stool next to him, but Dave didn't even recognize his presence.

"You said you were going to be home soon," John said. Dave turned towards him with surprise. "That was over four hours ago."

"Shit. You scared the fuck outta me, John," Dave breathed. He'd been sitting by himself the whole night, other customers clearly knowing when he wanted to be left alone to drink. His eyes landed on the clock on the wall, but he couldn't focus on it, squinting in vain as he tried to get the numbers to clear. He finally turned to John. "What time is it?"

"A quarter after four," he replied, eyeing the four empty beer bottles and shot glass in front of Dave. Even though he knew that Dave could handle his liquor well, no one could handle that amount of alcohol in an hour. But still...he seemed drunker than he should be. "Come on, let's go home. It's late and I have an early shift."

"Shit, I thought it was earlier than that," he said burying his face in his hands and then rubbing his eyes, blinking hard to try to regain his focus. But he didn't want to go home to that shithole he lived in yet, he wanted to get drunker and *then* go home. "Let me finish my beer," he said, reaching for it. His hand jerked suddenly, knocking the glass bottle over, and the golden liquid ran over the counter and dripped onto the floor. But I only had four beers and a shot, Dave thought to himself, knowing from plenty of drinking games won in college he required a lot of alcohol to get intoxicated. And although he had a lot in a short amount of time, he knew that the Demerol he'd taken before leaving the hospital had helped speed up the process. He glanced up at John, a stupid smile on his face. "I'm drunk."

"Yes, I can see that." John nodded with raised eyebrows, using some nearby napkins to clean up the spill Dave had made. He glanced at the bartender, putting down twenty dollars to cover for the beers and the mess. "I'm sorry, but can you clean this up? Dave's had a little too much to drink, and I think I need to get him home."

"No problem," the bartender replied, using a dishcloth to wipe away the mess as he picked up the twenty-dollar bill. "You have a nice night, guys."

"You too," John replied, and Dave smiled lazily, totally smashed from the alcohol. The younger man stood hesitantly, unsteady at first but regaining his bearings in a few moments. John watched him carefully as he led him out of the bar to make sure he wouldn't fall, and then helped him get into the Jeep. He buckled him in, but before he could back away, Dave pulled him close and kissed him hard, his tongue running over John's closed lips. He reached inside John's loose jeans' pockets, briefly feeling around before he found his goal, but John pulled away quickly, surprise written all over his face. He held up a finger. "Dave..." he warned, glancing around, making sure no one had overseen that. "Discreet, remember?"

Dave just simply smiled and leaned back in his seat, licking his full lips. John sighed as he shook his head, closing the Jeep door. He circled around the front and climbed inside, leaning back in his seat to reach inside his pocket for his keys. His brow suddenly furrowed as he searched his other pocket, and then he sat there for a moment, perplexed.

"Where are my keys?" John asked himself out loud, checking to see if he'd left them in the ignition. No...then where could they be? He heard a jingling sound from next to him, and turned to see Dave holding up the keys, his smile now playful. John sighed once more, reaching forward. "Give me those." Dave pulled them back away from him, and John leaned forward more, but Dave continued to pull them away, giggling as he did so. "Dave, give them to me."

"Make me," he challenged, mischief in his eyes. John glanced at him with exasperation, making a final reach for the keys, but Dave pulled them just out of his reach, and the younger man took that as an opportunity to kiss him once more, this time pushing his tongue between John's closed lips, running it over his teeth and gums. John began to kiss him back, but it was only to distract Dave while he grabbed the keys and pulled back once more. Dave pouted. "No fair. You cheated."

John smiled as he started the car, putting it into the right gear and heading towards Dave's apartment. Halfway there, he felt Dave's hand on his knee, and, glancing down, he could see it traveling up his leg, his fingertips gently trailing over the denim and to his crotch, which was steadily growing a bulge. He tried to pull his knee away, but it was hard to do so while driving.

"Stop it," he said, but his cock obviously had other intentions. He briefly glanced away from the road and to Dave, who was also touching himself, and John shifted in his seat, trying to get his hard-on to go away by sheer will. He brushed away Dave's hand quickly. "Wait until we get home, okay?"

Another smile, and then Dave closed his eyes and leaned back in his seat, one hand still cupped lazily over his crotch, between his splayed legs. John forced himself to concentrate on the road and not what was sitting next to him, and within minutes they were home. Now, getting inside was going to be the real problem. So, after some stumbling and a little effort, John finally led Dave inside the apartment, closing and locking the door behind him, securing the place for the night. He barely turned around when Dave was pinning him to the wall, kissing him hard as if there were no tomorrow, knocking his hard cock against John's.

"Dave," John managed to get in. Dave was so drunk he could hardly stand, and John was afraid he was going to fall and hurt himself. "Dave, wait, let's get to the couch at least, okay?"

Without parting lips, the two made it to the sofa, Dave sitting back and John straddling him. And, in between kissing, Dave managed to get out: "John" - kiss - "I don't" - kiss - "think I can" - kiss - "take care of you tonight." Another brief kiss, before John pulled back with questioning eyes. "I'm so fucked up, John," he said, remembering the Demerol he'd taken, plus the four or five beers he'd drunken. "If we even attempt to have sex, I think I'll fall over right on my face and kill myself. Or I'll pass out right on my face and kill myself." He suddenly smiled. "I might even puke. And that won't be pretty, especially if I puke on you."

Without discussing it further, John leaned in and began kissing Dave again, hard and passionately. It was an incredible turn on to be the one in control for once, and see Dave vulnerable while he called all the shots. Occasionally - okay, so most of the time - John and Dave engaged in tonsil hockey, just kissing and teasing each other senseless, especially when they were in a hurry or didn't have time for sex. And Dave had said he was too drunk to be able to engage in any type of sex tonight, so this would suffice just fine. Well, John thought, there was *one* type of sex that they could have...

He broke away from Dave's lips, leaving a trail of kisses down his jaw. "Where are you going with those lips?" he heard Dave ask as he hovered over the delicate olive skin of the younger man's neck just long enough to leave a perfect love bite. He moved down Dave's chest, kissing him through the fabric of his shirt before kneeling down in front of him, settling between his open legs. Dave glanced at him in puzzlement. "What are you doing?"

"You said you can't take care of me," John stated with a shrug, "so I'm going to take care of you."

"What?" Dave asked, the alcohol consumed causing his thoughts to be slow and fuzzy. Only when John began to unbutton Dave's jeans did he understand what John wanted to do, and he immediately shook his head. "No, don't. I liked what we were doing before."

"You'll like this a lot more," John said with a smile, slowly unzipping Dave's pants.

"John, don't..." Dave closed his eyes, memories invading his mind that he didn't want to remember. *You'll like it, Davey. You will like it...* No room for argument then. But, opening his eyes, he knew he could argue here. He had control here. He placed his arms on John's shoulders, gently holding him back. "You don't have to, really."

"I want to," John said, looking up at Dave as he unbuttoned Dave's boxers. Why was Dave so opposed to this? Was it because he knew John had never done it before, and he thought that he might not enjoy it? He could at least let John give it a try. "Come on, Dave. Let me do it because I want to."

*You'd do it if you loved me...*

"No," he said, shaking his head vigorously. He tried to sit up and out of John's reach, but the older man grabbed his cock, which - despite what he was feeling - was hard. Dave gasped at the contact, surprised. "John, please don't..."

"Just relax, Dave," he said, using his free hand to push Dave back onto the couch so that he was leaning back and gave John more room. "Just relax and enjoy it." He suddenly smiled. "I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm doing anything wrong."

*You're doing it wrong, Davey, you're not listening to me...*

"I'm sorry," Dave whispered too quietly for John to hear, and he gasped audibly as he felt John's mouth surround his cock. Dave closed his eyes, his breathing heavy and his heart racing as he felt that silky throat and that wicked tongue on his erection. And it felt good. Too good. It was wrong, it wasn't supposed to feel good. Christ, it wasn't supposed to feel good! "God, John, this isn't right...but it feels so good...wait, stop, you're not supposed to do that...stop..."

John closed his eyes, listening to what Dave was saying as he sucked on Dave's cock. So it wasn't right, but it felt good? Perhaps Dave wasn't into this sort of thing, maybe he'd never tried it before. But he was saying that it felt good, which had to be a sign that he was enjoying it. John heard Dave moan, his breathing becoming faster and faster, and he knew Dave was going to come soon, so he prepared himself. He wasn't going to ruin this now that he'd gone this far. Within moments, Dave came in John's mouth breathless, and John managed to swallow. Leaning back, he looked up at Dave expectantly, whose head was tipped back and facing the ceiling, eyes closed.

"Dave?" he said, waiting. The younger man opened his eyes, slowly looking at John, his eyes glistening. John furrowed his brow, his expression worried; Dave didn't look very happy or even satisfied, he looked...traumatized. "Dave, what's wrong?"

"It wasn't supposed to feel good," he whispered, looking away but staring at nothing.

"What?" John asked, confused.

"It wasn't supposed to feel good..."

"I don't..." John started, but trailed off, not sure what to say. Dave was expecting John to do badly, and now that he hadn't, was he surprised? But that didn't explain why Dave looked as if he were about to burst into tears. "What do you mean? Did I do it wrong? With some practice, I can - "

"No!" Dave exclaimed, tucking himself back in his boxers and pants, and then zippering himself back up. He stood abruptly, knocking John back onto his butt, but could barely stand himself, nearly falling down and needing to grab onto the couch to gain balance. Once slightly steady, he quickly moved away from the couch and tried to get to the bedroom, but only if he could stop the room from spinning.

"Dave, stop, you're going to hurt yourself," John said, standing hastily. He approached the younger man and reached out to him, trying to help him steady himself so he wouldn't pass out or fall onto his face and kill himself, as he'd predicted before. But upon touching him, Dave flinched and spun around, tripping over his own feet and falling hard onto the floor, hitting the back of his head and getting the wind knocked out of him. "Dave!"

"Don't touch me," he pleaded, trying to sit up on his own, but the room was still spinning, and he couldn't hold the floor steady. John reached out and helped Dave sit up, whose feeble attempts at getting John to leave him alone weren't working. "Please, don't...it wasn't supposed to feel good, it's wrong...it's so wrong, so bad...I'm so bad, so dirty...just...oh, God...I'm sorry, but I don't want to...go away, please...stop...I...I..."

"Dave, what the fuck is going on?" John asked, his eyes wide with fear. Dave was acting crazy, hysterical. Perhaps he was drunker than John had thought, and maybe that combined with the fact that he really didn't like getting blowjobs might've contributed to this behavior. The younger man suddenly put his hand to his head, moaning, and within moments his eyes slid closed and he was limp in the older man's arms. For an instant, John thought that he was dead, but when he checked his vitals, he saw that Dave was just passed out. "Jesus Christ..."

Too worried to sleep after he'd managed to get Dave undressed and into bed, John watched Dave sleep, watched the younger man's chest rise and fall, watched the younger man toss and turn, and even talk at some times, but the words were inaudible and unintelligible, though John knew whatever was happening in his subconscious was not pretty.

The next morning, Dave had woken with a terrible hangover and lump on the back of his head from where he hit it, immediately taking two Aspirins and drinking lots of water with it. John had woken up a few minutes later, asking Dave if he remembered what had happened last night.

"No," Dave replied after briefly mulling the thought over.

"Really?" John asked, almost incredulously, his mind racing with thought. From the look in the Junior Resident's eyes, he could tell that he'd been lying about the fact that he didn't remember anything. But why would he do something like that? Was it because he'd been embarrassed about his behavior? But that still didn't *explain* his behavior? Perhaps Dave couldn't himself, so maybe he'd said he didn't remember to avoid the subject. He looked up at Dave, his eyes full of doubt. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," Dave said lightly, shrugging. "Don't remember a thing."

But he did remember, he remembered everything that had happened right down to the last moment when he'd passed out. And he still felt so dirty that he immediately took a shower, as if that would wash away the feelings right down the drain.

He only wished it were that easy.

-------------------------------------

Am I hiding behind my doubts?

Are they hiding behind me?

I'm closer to finding out

It doesn't mean anything

-------------------------------------

Now, a week later, Dave smiled thankfully at the fact that John would not ask anymore questions about the sensitive issue of Dave not liking to be touched intimately, and John returned the gesture, his eyes traveling downwards to see that the younger man was still at half-mast, almost causing his own cock to spring to life. Dave then reached up to touch John's cheek, leading him towards his lips, encasing them in his own, and he pushed his tongue through John's closed lips and into his mouth, needing to feel his cock inside of John's ass, which had readily regained it's previous hard-on.

They lay back on the bed, on their sides, still kissing, their arms wrapped around each other, and Dave began thrusting his hips against John's. Between the rough kissing and the rough thrusting, John was getting harder by the second, if that was even possible; this was a side of Dave that he'd never seen before, and it turned him on. That wasn't to say that he didn't enjoy taking it slow and steady, but this quick pace and brusqueness was a delightful surprise.

They scrambled up the bed near the headboard, and Dave grabbed John's arm, turning him expertly onto his back, straddling the older man between his knees. He took John's wrists in his hands, raising them above John's head and pinning him down, then leaning in and kissing him hard, leaving both men panting when he pulled away. Glancing up at the younger man, John could see that there was a fire in his eyes that he hadn't witnessed before, an intensity that sent chills up and down his spine.

Dave thrust against John's hips once more, arching his back and tipping his head back as he did so, a low moan escaping his lips. John tried to thrust against Dave, but with Dave sitting on top of him and holding his arms down, he couldn't move very much. It was somewhat scary to let Dave have all of the control, but he knew that Dave would never hurt him, that it was the last thing he ever wanted to do. He'd said so himself.

The Junior Resident's eyes strayed from John for a moment, searching the nightstand for the lube that he kept there. He had to let one of John's wrists go to reach it, but he didn't want to let the older man go just yet...there was something about having total control that drove Dave wild, that almost made him *loose* total control over what he was doing. Some people liked the roughness that came with it, but some of Dave's former lovers did not. John seemed to be enjoying it, so it was a double-bonus for him.

Placing both of John's wrists in one of his hands, he held tight to make sure the Chief Resident could not move them, and then he reached for the lubricant, uncapping it with his teeth and then spitting the cap to the side of the bed. Dammit...to do this right, Dave would have to let go of John's wrists...he couldn't do this with only one hand. So, he finally let go of John's wrists, squeezing the gel into his hand and warming it up a bit before moving his fingers to John's ass.

John had seen Dave's hesitancy in letting go of his wrists, so he kept them where Dave had been holding them - on the bed above his head - and he watched as Dave rubbed the lube between his fingers, warming it up. Without the least bit of warning, John suddenly felt Dave thrust his finger into his ass, surprising him so much he gasped. He felt Dave moving his finger in and out in long, slow strokes, and soon another finger joined it, and then another, each stroke triggering his prostate and sending waves of pleasure through him.

"You like that, don't you?" Dave said huskily, his voice barely recognizable to even himself. He watched John carefully as he thrust his fingers in and out, getting off on John's pleasure. His cock was leaking already, but he knew that he had to stretch John first before he could enter him, or else he could cause the older man serious injury. Finally, he felt that John was stretched enough, and he pulled his fingers out, grabbing his already lubricated cock and putting himself in the right position. "Well, you're gonna like this a lot more."

A low, guttural moan escaped Dave's lips as he slid inside of John in one quick thrust, feeling the older man's tightness around him, his cock enveloped by John. God, he loved this feeling, the feeling of being inside of John and feeling John surrounding him and taking him inside of him. For a fleeting moment, he wondered what it would feel like if their positions were switched, but he quickly pushed that thought aside after immediately getting sick to his stomach, and with another hard thrust it was totally eradicated from his mind.

"Dave..." John grunted as he felt another hard thrust from Dave. He was being a little *too* rough now, and it was beginning to hurt. But Dave either ignored him or hadn't heard him, because he kept thrusting vigorously, picking up the pace as he did so, nearing his climax. But if Dave wouldn't - or for some reason *couldn't* - listen to him, John couldn't even stop him, because Dave was straddling him and had begun to hold his wrists down again. "Dave, you're hurting me. Slow down, you're hurting me."

Whatever John was saying, the words weren't even reaching Dave's ears. He was lost, lost beyond words in what he was doing, lost in the thrusting and lost in the feeling of John around him and lost in the control. So gone he couldn't come back until he was finished - and maybe he didn't *want* to come back. Hard thrust after hard thrust, faster and faster, feeling himself going over the edge, wanting to come but unable to just yet, needing to come, God, he needed this relief after the day he'd had, the week he'd had, the life he'd had.

"Dave, you're hurting me," John said, grimacing, wishing that Dave would open his eyes so that maybe he could catch them and bring Dave back from wherever the hell he was. He could tell that the younger man was close to coming: his breathing was harsh, near hyperventilation, and he was moving faster and faster. But he hadn't come yet, it was taking him longer than usual for some reason. And John had totally lost his erection long ago, when Dave had begun to thrust too hard. It was too much already. "Dave, stop. Dave, you're hurting me, stop. Dave, stop! Dave...!"

What was John saying? It didn't matter, it didn't matter, all that mattered was thrusting and thrusting and thrusting, harder, God, harder, needing to come, needing to come, needing it, he needed it so fucking bad, and then finally, finally, finally with one final hard thrust, he came hard and fast, screaming as he did so, his head dropping to his chest. And it felt so good, too fucking good to be right, but he didn't care, right now all he wanted was to be wrong.

John lay totally still for a moment, his eyes screwed shut and a grimace on his face, pain ripping through his body. He felt as though Dave had split him in two. He finally remembered to breathe, and opened his eyes once it was over, watching Dave's motionless body lying on top of his. When he finally regained thought processes, he said quietly, "Dave?" The younger man opened his eyes and glanced up, and John halfway expected Dave to be surprised to see him there; he'd been so wrapped up achieving release that John didn't think Dave even knew he was there. "What the fuck just happened?"

"Sorry," he said immediately, pulling out of John and moving off of him and across the bed, deliberately putting distance between them, though John wasn't sure why. He watched Dave cross his arms over his stomach and curl up into a ball, sniffling as he took one arm away from his stomach to scratch the back of his neck. "Guess I got carried away..."

"A little," he said, the sarcasm apparent in his voice. Something had just happened, but he wasn't sure what. "Where did you go just now?"

Silence.

"Dave?" John reached out a hand into the darkness, his wrist stinging slightly from the pressure that Dave had exerted on it, and he touched the younger man's shoulder apprehensively, but there was no response. He called Dave's name again, but, again, received no reply. He was out cold; perhaps he *had* been drinking...but why would he lie about it?

Sighing, rubbing his stinging wrists, John turned his back towards the younger man and closed his eyes, wishing for sleep to come and knowing that it probably wouldn't anytime soon. He was too worried about Dave to rest; something was defiantly wrong with the younger man. And tonight proved it.

Now, John had always known that Dave had a bad temper, and he'd seen it many times, but Dave had never been anything but loving and gentle with him, especially in bed. So what had happened tonight? Was it simply a case of Dave having too much to drink? But wait...Dave had said that he hadn't had anything to drink at all. Had he lied? He had to have, because he was defiantly under the influence of something tonight. But why would he lie about that? And John had certainly had sex with Dave when he was drunk before, and it'd never ever been like *that*. If anything, Dave was more submissive when he was drunk, less in control than usual.

Perhaps it had been the conversation about John penetrating him. That had freaked Dave out, and now it was freaking out John too. He was shocked that it'd taken him so long to realize that Dave didn't like to be touched. But why? Did John really want to know? Would Dave even ever tell him? It seemed as if it was a memory that Dave wanted to forget and not mention at all, but even if he'd achieved that in his consciousness, his subconscious - his dreams - weren't ready to forget just yet.

Proving so was just how restless Dave was in his sleep right now: tossing and turning, moaning softly sometimes. Full of worry and unable to sleep, John leaned over and turned on the light on Dave's nightstand, turning to watch Dave sleep. The bed sheets had slid down Dave's chest, and John caught sight of those terrible scars again. But there were new marks...not scars but something else. Upon closer inspection, John could see that they were scratches. But why would Dave scratch himself so heavily?

Before John could mull over that question any further, Dave let out a short scream and shot up in bed, his body beaded with sweat and his eyes wild, searching the room but unable to focus on anything. John jumped in surprise, but quickly recognized when Dave had had a nightmare.

"Dave," he said gently, knowing that if the nightmare had been bad he might not know where he was, so he hoped his voice would bring Dave to reality. "Dave, are you okay?"

"I...I don't feel well," Dave said, clutching his stomach as he rushed out of bed and ran to the bathroom, tripping over the bed sheet and nearly falling as he did so. John quickly followed him, watching as the younger man knelt in front of the toilet and proceeded to vomit violently, his body shaking with each heave.

John reached for a washcloth, wetting it with cold water before kneeling down next to Dave, rubbing comforting circles on the younger man's back while he finished throwing up. The Junior Resident wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, moving away from John to slump against the wall. With the washcloth, John wiped the sweat from Dave's brow, hoping the cool cloth would make him feel a little better. He must've been sicker than John had previously thought.

"Come on," John whispered, gently moving the cloth to Dave's cheek and neck. "Let's get you back to bed."

Dave barely registered the cold cloth against his skin. John was being so gentle with him, and just hours earlier, he'd treated the older man as if he were nothing more than a fuckboy to fuck, not a lover to love. How could John care about him so much? He didn't deserve it...hell, he barely deserved living.

"Dave, let's go back to bed," he repeated, watching Dave for a reaction. The younger man looked up at John with eyes that the Chief Resident barely recognized: they were wild and frightened, full of fear and anxiety. And then he quickly looked away, breathing heavily. "Dave...?"

"I..." Dave started, whispering, barely able to get the words out. He looked up at John again, licking his dry lips. "I hurt you tonight."

"It's okay, Dave," John reassured him. "I'm not hurt."

"No! No, it isn't okay!" Dave suddenly shouted, running his hands through his hair, grabbing and pulling with a scream. He moved one hand down to his chest, scratching it again, scratching at the fucking itching that wouldn't go away, scratching so hard he drew blood. "Fuck! It isn't okay!!"

"Dave, stop it!" John yelled, his eyes wide as he grabbed Dave's wrists, stopping him from pulling out his own hair and clawing at his own chest. Jesus H. Christ, what was going on here? Dave was certainly not only drunk and certainly not only sick, that was for sure. "Dave, did you take anything tonight?"

His head snapped up to look at John, his heart skipping a beat. "What?"

"Did you take anything," he repeated, more slowly this time.

"Cold medicine," Dave answered quickly, scratching again. "I...I told you that already."

"Did you take more than you were supposed to?" John asked as he grabbed Dave's wrists once more. "Stop scratching!"

"I can't!" Dave cried. "It itches!"

"Why?!"

"I don't know!" he exclaimed. But he did know. He knew exactly why. It was because of the two Dexedrines he'd taken combined with the amphetamines in the cold medicine, side effects: dry mouth and throat, nausea, and itching when you'd taken too much.

"Dave, did you take more than you were supposed to?" John repeated urgently, checking Dave's pulse. Shit, it was racing! He knew right then that Dave was having a reaction to whatever he'd taken; he was showing all the symptoms of a minor overdose, something that wasn't life-threatening but potentially dangerous.

"A little," Dave lied. What the hell was he supposed to say? That he took two Dexedrines with two Benadryls?

"Shit," John muttered, his head dropping before he raised it again to look at Dave, watching him carefully. God, the man looked like Hell. "I think you're having a reaction to it."

"What?" If Dave's heart was racing before, it was galloping with anxiety now. He was having a reaction? What kind of reaction? Was he overdosing? He looked up at John, licking his dry lips again. "I...I..."

"Shh..." John said, helping Dave to his feet. He led Dave into the bedroom, allowing the younger man to put most of his weight on him. "I'll help you get dressed, and then we'll go to County."

"What?!" Dave shouted, suddenly pushing John away, who glanced at him with surprise. God, this was almost too much to handle. If Dave didn't calm down soon he was going to call an ambulance and get him to the hospital with help if he couldn't do it by himself. "I don't - I don't need to go to the hospital! I'm fine!"

"Dave, you're having a reaction to the medication!" John said, taking a step towards the younger man. "We need to get a tox screen and treat you! You could be overdosing, for God's sake!"

"No!" Dave yelled. He instinctively took two steps away from John when he stepped towards him, and John saw the unmistakable look of fear in Dave's expression and in his eyes, so he froze in place. Then Dave began pacing the room like a caged animal, pleading with John. "I don't want to go...I told you, I'm fine. I'm fine, John, I just..."

"Okay, Dave," John said, holding his hands out, stepping towards Dave slowly and cautiously. "We'll stay here, but you need to calm down, okay?"

"I'm tired, John," Dave suddenly said, looking up at the older man with glistening eyes. John stopped moving towards him, waiting for Dave to elaborate, though it was unnecessary. He knew that Dave didn't mean he wanted to go to sleep. The younger man buried his face in his hands for a moment, and John was almost sure he was going to cry, but Dave looked up instead, his eyes portraying his desperation. "I'm so fucking tired."

"I know," John said, approaching Dave, remembering Dave in a similar state a few weeks ago, when he'd talked with him in the Lounge after he'd been caught by Dr. Weaver having sex in the back of an ambulance with a pretty paramedic. Then he'd been worried, but now he was worried sick. Could it possibly get any worse than this? He wasn't sure he wanted to know. "Come on. Let's go to bed."

John reached out to Dave, gently touching his shoulder, but the younger man flinched and pulled away, startled. John reached out again, and this time Dave did not startle in surprise, and he led the Junior Resident to bed, covering him with the bed sheets. He rolled up in a ball again, raising a hand to scratch at another itch when he saw John watching and thought better of it. The Chief Resident then moved to the other side of the bed, glancing back at Dave before he turned out the light.

"Are you all right now, Dave?" he asked softly. Upon receiving no reply, John raised his head off of the pillow. "Dave?"

He was passed out again. John's eyes shifted to the phone. Perhaps he should call the hospital and get an ambulance... He checked Dave's vitals just to reassure himself that Dave would be fine right here, but he kept the light on and watched Dave for a long time before finally giving in to his heavy eyes and turning it off, falling to sleep as well.

-------------------------------------

I remind myself of somebody else now

-------------------------------------

A scream. A throaty, bloody scream of pure terror ripping through the night, tearing the silence in two and mutilating it until it was gone. It awoke John almost immediately, his heart beating in his chest as if it were trying to escape, and he sat straight up in bed, turning to where the source of the scream was coming from: Dave.

He looked to the younger man, expecting to find him being brutally murdered in bed by an intruder who had somehow broken into the apartment without them waking. Instead, however, he saw that the younger man was, in fact, still asleep, being tortured by a nightmare that often visited him in his dreams. But never like this, never in such a way that John had awoken fearing for Dave's life.

"Dave!" He placed his hands on Dave's shoulders, gently shaking him in an attempt to wake him up. The Junior Resident's body was slick with perspiration, and John's hands nearly slipped off of Dave's shoulders. "Dave, wake up!"

"No!" Dave moaned, though it wasn't a response to John's command, but a response to whatever was happening to him in his dream. "Please, stop...please, let me go...!"

"Dave, it's me, John," he said urgently, shaking Dave harder. He squinted his eyes, trying to see in the darkness, and upon closer examination he saw that it was not only sweat on Dave's face, but also tears. God, what could be happening in his nightmares, the nightmares that he would not share with John or anyone else? "Dave, please wake up! Dave!"

"Let me go!" Dave whimpered, his voice desperate as he tried to push John away from him. Dave, though, sleeping and seeing someone else besides John in his dreams, reached out blindly, and he ended up grazing John's jaw with his hand. John pulled away in surprise, turning back to Dave with his hand to his face. He grabbed him again, this time shaking him hard. "Christ! Wake up, Dave! Get up! Get up!!"

"Stop it!" Dave screamed, sobbing. His eyes flew open, but he still fought against John, not recognizing where he was. "Please, just stop it!"

"Dave!" John said, reaching over and turning on the light. "Dave, it's just me, it's just John. It's John, Dave...it's just me. You're safe, you're safe..."

He took the younger man in his arms, forcing him to stay still. At first, Dave struggled, but soon, he clutched at John like a life buoy, sobbing openly into his chest. John began to rock him back and forth, rubbing soothing circles on his back, hoping that he was comforting him as much as he could. He'd comforted Dave like this many times since they began sleeping together, but no nightmares had ever been this terrible, had never been this violent and scary.

The cries died down, and then there were a few moments of silence, and then finally, John said: "Dave...? Are you all right now?"

"Yeah..." he said, his voice hoarse from sobbing. The Junior Resident sniffled, pulling away but not out of John's arms, wiping at his nose with the back of his hand. He leaned the side of his face on John's shoulder, regaining his composure. "I'm sorry about that." He suddenly laughed, but there was no humor in it. "And that's not even one of the worst I've had."

"It's okay," John said, mostly because he couldn't think of anything else to say. He wished that he could ask Dave what the nightmare had been about, but Dave had specifically asked that John not ask, so he didn't. They sat in silence for a moment, listening to the sounds of the night for a long time. Then: "You were alone before, Dave. And now you're not. So nothing can be that bad anymore."

Dave looked to John's face, which was slightly visible in the darkness, and he smiled softly before hugging John tightly. "God, I wish I could believe you, John. I really do..." There was a pause and then. "Thank you," he whispered into the older man's ear. He sniffled again, taking in a shaky breath before disentangling himself from John. He cleared his throat, wiping away his tears quickly, suddenly embarrassed about his outburst. "We've both got early shifts tomorrow...let's get back to bed, okay?"

"Sure," John said, sensing Dave's discomfiture. He pushed the covers aside and stood, his bare feet touching the carpet as the cold of the winter night and a poor heater reached his naked body. He indicated the bathroom. "I just need to use the bathroom. I'll be back in a second."

"Okay," Dave replied, lying back in bed and curling up into his usual sleeping position. John watched him for a moment before heading towards the bathroom, turning on the light once he was inside and leaving the door open, bathing the bedroom in a soft yellow glow. Dave glanced at him, squinting against the light. "Take your time."

John relieved himself, and then washed his hands, turning his face slightly to see if Dave had caused any damage to his jaw. There was a slight bruise forming, but it probably wouldn't be anything too noticeable. But it did hurt a little, so he decided to take an Aspirin, and he opened the mirror, revealing Dave's medicine cabinet.

That morning, John had opened the medicine cabinet as well, searching for a shaver that he could use because he'd forgotten to bring one over again. He'd seen the Dexedrines that Dave had accidentally grabbed from the drug lockup at County, and made a note to tell Dave to take them back to work. It'd been a few weeks since he'd taken them, but John had forgotten about them as well, so he guessed that Dave had forgotten about them too. But they were gone now. Dave must've taken them back to work...but when?

He went still. Dave hadn't...? Had he? He turned to look at the younger man, lying in bed, curled up into a fetal position, the bathroom light drifting upon him, giving him a surreal effect. Tonight, Dave's behavior had been very, very odd, but he'd said he hadn't drunken anything, and John had thought it was due to the cold medication...but could it have been something else causing him to act that way? He glanced once again to the now empty shelve, where the Dexedrine used to be. Was it more than the cold medicine?

It was. Deep down inside he knew.

"God," he said to himself, shaking his head. "What am I thinking?"

"Huh?" Dave mumbled from the bed, half-asleep. "Say something, John?"

"No," John said, shaking his head still, shaking the thoughts from his mind. He rubbed his face with his hands, knowing that when people were tired they didn't think straight, they thought stupid things that didn't make quite that much sense. That's what this was: stupid. Dave wasn't using drugs, he was just emotional...he was just...Dave. He turned off the bathroom light, heading back into bed, joining Dave and moving close to him, spooning with the younger man, feeling Dave's heart beating against his own.

Tomorrow, he'd be thinking straight, and he wouldn't be thinking this at all.

-------------------------------------

Feeling like I'm chasing,

Like I'm facing myself alone

I've got somebody else's thoughts in my head

I want some of my own

-------------------------------------
Chapter Ten - Anything Good by The She Devil
------------------------------------- Chapter Ten: Anything Good -------------------------------------

Never said I was innocent

I will burn in hell for the things I've done to you

Never said I was anything good

I should die from the shame from what I've put you through

-------------------------------------

Dave's worst enemy: the alarm clock. And he treated it as such, muttering obscenities at it and pounding his fist upon it, doing so a few times before it finally shut off. He rolled over onto his stomach, mock-sobbing into his pillow at the thought of being roused from his bed for yet another day at Cook County. Another day of vomit, piss, blood and pus. Oh, joy.

He glanced to the other side of the bed to see that John Carter was still sleeping. Figures that he wouldn't wake up to the alarm; John slept as if he were in a coma most nights. It was a vast contrast to how Dave slept, however: waking up to the slightest sound, save for the times when he was stuck in a nightmare, which happened more often than not.

Last night hadn't even been the worst he'd ever had. John had yet to experience one when instead of just screaming, Dave woke up thinking he was still lost in the nightmare, taking sometimes ten full minutes of fighting and hysteria before the images faded from his eyes and he realized he was safe in his apartment, several long miles and several long years away from the memories that haunted his dreams.

He sighed, raising his head from the pillow as he squinted his eyes to focus on the numbers on the clock. Six AM. Too early, too damn early. And his head felt like it was pulsating, but it was nothing he hadn't experienced before: party head, morning-after head, whatever you wanted to call it, it was still the same thing. Jesus, he really wished right about now he hadn't taken those Dexedrine yesterday, but all he had wanted to do was forget, and it'd felt too good to be right, and - as he thought last night - all he'd wanted to do was be wrong.

And forgotten he had. He could barely remember any of last night's events, except for a hazy memory of sobbing out his eyes in John's arms after waking from that nightmare. God, how embarrassing. Next thing you knew, he'd be crying during sex. On that note, Dave turned to glance at his companion, and saw that John was still here, so that had to mean he hadn't done anything *that* bad.

Rising from his bed, Dave's feet made contact with the disgusting carpet as his eyes moved over the disgusting walls. God, he hated this place, but then again he hated everything about his life...well almost everything, he thought, glancing back to look at the peacefully sleeping John. He could never let himself forget how lucky he was to have John in his life, because he certainly didn't deserve him. He began to walk to his bathroom, trying to be quiet so he wouldn't wake John but failing to do so when he tripped over the sleeping cat, nearly killing himself and it. He cursed silently as Kermit screeched, briefly glancing back to see John stirring but not waking.

"Sorry, Furface," he whispered to Kermit, squatting down to look under the bed, where the cat had scurried under. He hissed at Dave, who only rolled his eyes in response as he stood upright. "Jeeze, I said I was sorry."

He crossed the hall to the bathroom, turning on the shower. Brush teeth, shave face, relieve yourself, all while the water slowly warms up to your liking, Dave thought to himself. Then he rubbed his aching head. Oh, and take a couple aspirins too.

Finished with those quick tasks, he stepped inside the shower, already naked from the night before. The water was warm and soothed his aching head, and just when he thought today might not be so bad, the water stopped without Dave touching the controls, and when it started up again after a slight rumbling sound, the Junior Resident was hit with a refreshing blast of ice-cold water.

-------------------------------------

Let me be the one to bring us back from the dead

I will take the blame for everything

You know I just wanna help you forget

-------------------------------------

There was a squeaking sound, as if someone ran their hand quickly over something wet, a scream, a thud, a string of obscenities, another scream, this one more like one of frustration, a brief silence, and then: "I *hate* this fucking place!!"

John Carter dared to venture out of bed, quickly but warily crossing the bedroom to the bathroom, where the source of the screams was coming from. He entered to find Dave beginning to stand from the shower floor, and when he realized just what had happened, he tried to compress his laughter, but failed to do so.

"Yes, I fell in the shower," Dave snapped grumpily. The sudden spray of cold water had surprised him so much he'd tried to turn away from it, but had instead slipped and fallen down right on his butt. He glanced up at John, who was snickering as he tried to bite back his laughter. "Ha, ha, so funny. I could've died, you know."

"Don't be so dramatic," John said, approaching the younger man, still smiling but not laughing.

"You could've come in here and found me with a broken neck," he went on to say, rubbing his sore ass, "and you would've laughed."

"If I found you with a broken neck," John said, chuckling, "I hardly think I'd be laughing."

"You're laughing now," Dave pointed out angrily.

"You don't have a broken neck, do you?" John asked, bringing Dave into his arms. He held the younger man close to him for a few moments, glad that he *didn't* have a broken neck, before pulling back slightly to look into those beautiful brown eyes that held more secrets than John would ever know. John smiled softly, then placing a gentle kiss on Dave's lips. He pulled away once more. "Good morning."

"Yeah," Dave scoffed, tossing John a look. "Such a good morning it's been so far. I hate this fucking place."

"So I heard," John said. Then he suggested, "Why don't you get a better one?"

"I'm a resident, remember?" he asked John, his hands resting on John's waist as John's arms draped over his shoulders. "As if I can afford a better one?"

"*We* can," John said quietly, watching Dave carefully for a reaction. Dave narrowed his eyes, glancing at John suspiciously but offering no comment, his expression indifferent. "Well...we practically live together already...and I think it's about time I move out of my family's house."

Still no reply, but, watching the Junior Resident carefully, John noted that he seemed to be mulling the thought over as he glanced around the apartment. Okay, so he wasn't sure whether he'd expected Dave to agree or not, but he certainly hadn't prepared himself for the latter. Perhaps this wasn't the best idea he'd ever come up with, he thought morosely. But when Dave turned back to John, a smile slowly spreading across his face, he could see that it clearly was.

"So." John pressed, and he prayed that Dave said what he wanted him to. If not, he knew he'd be seriously crushed. God, John thought incredulously. It was like he was a teenager again, yearning for the attention of his high school crush. He'd never felt this way with any other lover he'd ever had. It was exciting and scary at the same time. "...What do you say?"

"I say," Dave said, grinning, "I can't wait to get out of this place."

"So...that's it?" John asked hesitantly. "You're just...happy that you're moving?"

"Well, yeah," Dave teased, keeping his tone serious, knowing that John thought moving was the *only* reason he was glad and not the fact that the two would be living together. He saw the Chief Resident's face fall, and the devil in him had to continue teasing, compressing his smile as best he could while saying: "I mean, I get this big new apartment all to myself, and you're going to pay for it."

John shoved him playfully, smiling. "You're a jerk."

"Come on, John. You really think I'm that shallow?" Dave asked, clasping John's hands in his own. He need to make sure that John knew he was *only* teasing, and hadn't been serious at all. This was important to him. "I could care less about another apartment. Sure, it's great, but...it'll be twice as great with you there. This shithole I live in is twice as great with you *here*. I...I actually look forward to coming home knowing that you're...that you're going to be here. The point is: we're going to be...together, and I...God, I'm not good at this. Is this coming out right?"

"It's coming out perfectly," John replied softly, touched by the younger man's words.

Overcome with happiness, John smiled in delight, slipping his hands onto either side of Dave's face, pulling him into a kiss that spoke volumes about the way John was feeling right now: pure bliss. He was going to move in with Dave, with the man that he was - yes, he was admitting it - in love with. He was in love with the cocky, abrasive, bluntly honest, compassionate, dedicated, absolutely drop-dead gorgeous Dr. David Malucci, and it was the best feeling in the world, one that he wouldn't trade and one that he would die for. One that he would hopefully die with.

He pulled away from the kiss, seeing the slightly surprised expression on Dave's face turn into a smile, and he smiled as well. But his smile faded as his eyes traveled down the Junior Resident's body, stopping once he reached the freshly healing wounds on his chest, stomach, and arms. His fingers trailed down to trace the deep scratches gently, remembering Dave last night - hysterical, crazy, irrational - a totally different person than he seemed to be now - composed, sensible, balanced. He glanced up at the younger man, and their eyes met, John's gaze serious while Dave's was confused.

"What are those from?" Dave asked. He'd noted the marks in the shower, and had tried in vain to remember where they'd come from. An out-of-control patient at work? But surely he would've remembered that. However, he didn't remember last night, and it could've happened then.

"You don't remember?" John asked incredulously. Last night in bed, then that hysteric episode in the bathroom...Dave didn't remember any of it? Those images would be in John's mind and memory for a long time, and Dave didn't remember *any* of it?? How could he forget something like that? Dave shook his head, answering John's question, and the Chief Resident instinctively pulled away, turning his back on Dave. "You did that to yourself."

"What?" Dave asked, surprised. Why would he do something like that? God, Dave thought to himself. He must've been fucked up royally last night. And John pulling away proved so. The younger man moved towards John, his expression worried as he asked quietly: "What else did I do?"

"Besides claw at your own skin and try to rip out your own hair in this very bathroom??" he replied more harshly than he'd intended. He turned to face the Junior Resident, who had instinctively touched his own hair, and upon seeing his startled face, John immediately calmed down, reminding himself that Dave probably had no control over what he'd done if he'd had a reaction to the Benadryl he'd taken. John briefly considered smudging the truth so Dave wouldn't feel so guilty, but he had a right to know. With a sigh, he started: "I think you had a reaction to the cold medicine you took."

"What kind of reaction?" Dave asked quickly. At least if John thought it'd been the Benadryl, he wouldn't suspect anything else. As much as he hated lying to him, it would explain everything without John considering another thought. "An allergic reaction, maybe?"

"Maybe." John replied, shrugging. "I don't know. You wouldn't let me take you to the hospital."

Hesitancy in his voice. Slight hesitancy, but still hesitancy at that. There was more, Dave knew there was more. Something John wasn't telling him, something he'd done that John wasn't telling him. The question was...what had he done? He was almost too afraid to ask, but when silence enveloped the room, Dave knew that John was too afraid to tell.

So he said, hesitancy laced in his own voice: "What else happened last night?"

"You had a nightmare," John offered, knowing that that wasn't the answer Dave was looking for.

"I remember that," Dave stated, nodding, an obscure image of John holding him in the darkness while he cried coming to his mind's eye. He took another step forward, but John looked down. God, what had he done? "What else happened?"

"Dave, why don't we drop it for now?" John asked. "We both have to get ready for work, and..."

"John," Dave interrupted softly. "Tell me, please."

"Well, what happened in the bathroom - "

"Before that, John," Dave said, his voice quavering with urgency.

"You..." The Chief Resident sighed, glancing up at the Junior Resident long enough to see his questioning eyes asking him to explain before looking down again. He knew how Dave was going to react, and he knew that telling him but probably a mistake. But John knew lying to him would also be a mistake: Dave was keener than he looked, and certainly more so than he acted, he just had that street sense about him. He could pick up a lie from a mile away, and John was definitely one of the worst liars in this county. "You were kind of rough during sex..."

"How rough?" Dave asked slowly when John didn't continue, fearing the answer that he already knew. His voice nearly caught in his throat when he said, quietly: "Did I hurt you?" Instead of an answer, all he received was a look from John that told him everything he needed to know, and he immediately turned, his hands running through his hair in shock. "Oh, God...oh, God, I...oh, God..." he kept repeating, over and over again as if those were the only words he knew in any language.

"Dave, you were having a reaction to the cold medicine," John said hastily, watching Dave carefully. He could already see that Dave was going to tear himself up about this, even if it hadn't been his fault. Violence of any kind - deliberate or not - to anyone he cared about was probably one of the worst acts Dave could commit in his mind. This would probably haunt him for a long time, John thought, watching as Dave moved one hand to his forehead and the other to his waist, desperately trying to remember last night's events. "Dave, it wasn't your fault. You have to understand that."

"I...it doesn't matter," he said, looking up at John. Dexedrine, he thought. It had to have been the Dexedrine mixed with the cold medicine. Lately, it hadn't been having the same effect on him as when he'd first started taking it, so he'd begun to up the amount he usually took. But after hearing what happened to him - what it made him do - he realized he'd have to take something else to counteract it, to regulate his mood...Klonipin. Did he have any? Or would he have to get some? He instinctively glanced at his mirror, the medicine cabinet concealed behind it, trying to remember exactly what pills he kept inside.

"Dave, it wasn't your...fault," John faltered, following Dave's line of sight to the mirror. Was he studying himself, looking for something in his own reflection? He came up from behind the Junior Resident, wrapping his arms around Dave, bringing one up to gently trace the scratches on his chest, meeting his eyes in the mirror. "Last night was scary," he started softly, resting his chin on Dave's shoulder. "Terrifying, in fact. But it was because you'd probably been drinking, and that combined with the cold medicine - whether or not you had an allergic reaction to it - made you act very out of character. You had no control over what you were doing or saying, and I could tell. I know that that wasn't you last night, Dave. Despite what you think of yourself and no matter how hard you try to convince yourself, I know that you'd never intentionally hurt me, or anyone for that matter. You're not a bad person, you're a good, good person, Dave, you are. I wish I could convince you of that, I really wish I could."

"I don't deserve you," Dave said quietly, looking at John in the mirror.

"That isn't true, Dave," the older man reassured him, wondering how Dave could possibly think that. After everything he'd been through, Dave deserved the world. But he could see that Dave didn't share similar thoughts. "You deserve so much more than you think you do. I know that, Dave. And if you don't believe that yourself, then you can at least believe me. I wouldn't lie to you."

Dave turned in John's arms, pulling the older man close, doing so gently as if he were afraid he would break him. He kissed John's neck, resting his head against John's shoulder, inhaling the scent of his lover. "I'm so sorry, John. And I promise I'll make it up to you. I don't know how, but I'll spend the rest of my life trying if I have to. I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry..."

"Dave, please stop," John insisted softly. "You have nothing to apologize for."

Dave snuggled closer to John, holding on to him like he was afraid he was going to lose him. They stood like that for a long time, the seconds turning into minutes, and Dave glanced at the clock, knowing he only had about twenty minutes to get to County and it would take him longer than that to get ready and then head out on his bike. He exhaled heavily, moving so he could look into John's eyes.

"I have to get ready," Dave stated, hating to leave this embrace when he knew he would miss it all day. But at least he and John were on similar shifts that day, Dave's starting a couple hours earlier than John's, so he would get to see the older man throughout the day. He smiled, looking up into John's eyes. "I'm going to be late if I take my bike. Do you think you could drop me off?"

"I don't know." John's brow furrowed, his lips pursing for a moment. "I mean...don't you think it'd look...suspicious?"

"What?" Dave asked, his own brow furrowing, but in puzzlement. He smiled bitterly, then, realizing exactly what would seem "suspicious" to their coworkers, who probably wouldn't even think anything of it or wouldn't even witness John dropping him off in front of the ER. Pulling away and walking into the bedroom, Dave scoffed: "Yeah, sure. Right. Wouldn't want anyone to suspect anything. Wouldn't want anyone thinking that someone like John Carter could possibly like a guy like *Dr. Dave*. You're ashamed of me, I know you are! All that stuff you just said, I *knew* you were lying. Come on, admit it. It's bad enough that the ER thinks we're friends, let alone lovers! I mean, if you're going to do this, then you might as well not do it with someone like *me* right??"

"Dave...wait..." John sighed, following Dave into the bedroom, watching the younger man begin to pull on clothes hastily. "Dave, that's not it..."

"Then what is it?" he asked as he turned to John, clearly annoyed. "Please, tell me, John. What is it?"

"Dave, how many superiors do you know at work that are..."

"Gay? Say it, John. Say it: gay," Dave said, sitting down on the bed so he could pull on his socks and shoes. He glanced up at John, who was looking at him with exasperation. "What? Having sex with another guy is totally straight to you, or something? You're gay, John. Admit it!"

"I am not gay," John stated firmly.

"Well, you're at least bisexual."

"I am not bisexual!"

"Are you *stupid*??!" Dave barked angrily, standing with a flourish. He moved to the other side of the bedroom, grabbing his jacket that was hastily thrown over his desk chair, pulling it on roughly as he headed for the hallway. "John, you like me - or at least I think you do. So, you're either gay, bisexual or in denial, my friend, because you certainly are not straight!"

"So what do you want me to do?" John asked, following Dave down the hallway, grabbing his robe and wrapping it around himself as he did so. "You want me to tell everyone in the ER that you and I are sleeping together? That we have sex every night?? Is that what you want?"

Dave stopped and spun around, turning to John with anger in his expression but clear hurt in his eyes. "No, John, that wouldn't make me happy. Because that isn't what this is about." He began to turn once more, but then looked back to John. "You know, it would be real nice, for once, if maybe you and I could go out in public or be at work and be *together,* and not have to worry about you thinking someone might jump down our throats because they 'suspect something.'"

"Okay," John said, placing his hands on his waist, getting annoyed himself. He had his issues, just as Dave had his, but he didn't go about bringing up Dave's inhibitions. Well, he was now. "So you want me to tell everyone how much I love you, but you won't even let me show you how much I love you."

"What are you talking about?" Dave asked defensively, his eyes narrowed.

"Oh, yeah, that's right," John said indignantly, feigning recollection. "You don't remember last night."

"You say that as if it's my fault. You said so yourself, that it was the cold medicine and beer, but you're saying that as if it's my fault," Dave repeated again. He glanced at the clock quickly before turning away from John. "It wasn't my fault, so I don't even know why we're having this conversation in the first place. And what I do with my own body is my own business, you can't tell me what to do with it."

"Where are you going?" John suddenly asked, watching Dave as he moved towards the front door to his apartment, grabbing his bicycle brusquely, which he kept against his living room wall. The younger man suddenly stopped once he heard John's question, slowly turning to face him, his expression one of incredulity. "Didn't you want me to drive you?"

Dave scoffed once more, opening the front door, hardly believing what he was hearing. "Don't worry about it, John. Wouldn't want anyone to 'suspect' anything, right? Besides, the last thing I want is anything from you."

With that, he immediately left, slamming the door closed behind him, the resounding crack of wood on wood echoing off of the apartment walls. John sighed loudly, running his fingers through his hair in frustration. God, sometimes Dave could be so...so...so *Dave*! Quickly, because he knew Dave would be down the stairs and outside biking to County in no time, the Chief Resident threw on his undershirt from the day before and a pair of Dave's sweatpants, pulling on a pair of shoes and his coat before grabbing his keys and heading outside. He rushed down the stairs, heading outside to his Jeep, which was parked at the curb.

Stopping at the curbside to glance down the sidewalk briefly, he could see Dave halfway down the street already, peddling so fiercely the bike swayed from left to right as he did so. Another sigh later, John was inside his Jeep and starting it up, not waiting for it to heat up before he took off down the street, stopping at the busy intersection, where Dave was waiting for the traffic to pass before he crossed it.

"Dave," John called to the younger man, keeping one eye on the red light so it wouldn't change to green without him knowing. The Junior Resident turned towards him just long enough to scowl before he concentrated on the traffic again. "Dave, get in the Jeep."

"Fuck you, John," he spat, then pushed himself off of the curb and into the street, weaving his bicycle deftly through the cars, which promptly honked at him. From what John knew, Dave regularly took risks in the street on his bike with reckless abandon, but it frankly scared the living hell out of him, and he felt his heart skip several beats while witnessing this act. God, he wasn't even wearing a helmet!

"Shit," John breathed as the younger man made it somehow safely to the other side. The light then turned green, and John stepped on the gas immediately to catch up to Dave. He just hoped that Dave didn't try to take any shortcuts through alleys or paths that John couldn't with his Jeep. He slowed down as he caught up to the Junior Resident, ignoring the honks of morning traffic behind him. "Dave! Get in this Jeep right now, before I get into an accident!"

To John's surprise, he actually slowed to a stop, glancing back at the cars behind John, who were now honking furiously, some yelling obscenities at the both of them. He seemed to contemplate his decision for a moment before he finally let out a sigh of defeat.

"Pull over," he called with exasperation, and waited for John to do so before hitching his bike to the back of the Jeep. John leaned over the consol and the passenger's side to open the door for Dave, who soon climbed inside and sat down, crossing his arms over his chest and keeping his stare fixed on the dashboard.

Now driving towards the hospital, John kept glancing at Dave, wanting to say something but unable to think of what. He wasn't sure what words could fix the damage that had been done during their first real argument, but he knew he wanted to say something apologetic and reassuring, something that would make Dave forget all about what had been said earlier.

"You really shouldn't ride your bike in traffic like that." Great, John, he thought sarcastically to himself. Really, really great. That will make everything all better. He mentally kicked himself, knowing that he deserved it.

"Sure thing, Mom," Dave muttered, his gaze now focused on the several buildings passing by outside.

"I just don't want to see you get hurt," John stated, glancing briefly at the younger man, who turned to him and tossed him a glance that could be easily interpreted: Yeah fucking right. John remembered something Dave had said earlier, something about how he thought John liked him. Dave didn't really think John didn't care, did he? "I do care about you, you know."

"Yeah, you just don't want anyone to know you do," Dave muttered snidely.

"If it's so easy to come out, Dave, then why don't you do it?" John asked, finding it incredulous that the younger man could be pressuring him to do this when he hadn't even done it himself.

"What?" Dave asked, turning slowly to face him.

"Well, no one at work knows that you're..."

"Bisexual?" Dave asked when John trailed off, finishing the sentence for him. "It's not a dirty word, for Christ's sake! You can say it, John. Bisexual, bisexual, bisexual. See? Lightening isn't gonna strike you dead and God's not gonna pelt punishment hail at you."

"So why don't you tell anyone?" John snapped, tossing Dave a sideways glance of anger.

"Because it's no one's fucking business!" Dave shot back.

"So why is my being bisexual anyone's business?!!" John yelled.

"God, it isn't the same, John!" Dave exclaimed. "Why can't you fucking see that??"

"How is it different?" John asked incredulously, his grip tightening on the steering wheel.

Dave sighed, running his fingers through his hair in frustration before answering. "Look, people at work think we're just close friends, but I don't care if they find out we're more than that. And if someone *does* find out and ask me if I'm bisexual, then I'm not gonna lie about it, John! And if you weren't so Goddamned paranoid, I would let the whole world know that I'm with you. And you know why, John?"

"Why?" he spat angrily, his tone of voice suggesting that he really didn't want to know or care to, either.

"It's because *I'm* not ashamed of you, *I'm* proud to be with you, *I'm* *happy* to be with you!! *I'm* glad to *have* you!" he yelled, his handsome features contorted with anger. He suddenly stopped, fearing he'd lose control soon if he got angry enough, not knowing what would happen when he did, and he sat back in his seat, taking a few deep breaths before continuing, in a calmer tone of voice. "The difference is that my personal life is my business, but I'm not about hide who I am because I'm not ashamed of who I am. The difference is that you are ashamed of who you are, and...you're ashamed of who you're with." He paused, turning towards the window, and then said quietly: "That's the difference."

"That's not true," John said as he saw they were approaching Cook County. "I...I just...this is really hard for me, Dave. You just need to be patient with me, that's all. And contrary to what you think, I'm not ashamed of you. I'm trying, Dave, I really am, and I wish you would see that."

They sat in silence as John pulled into the parking garage and found a nearby space. He turned off the car and stepped out, not waiting for Dave before he unhitched the younger man's bike from the back of his Jeep. Dave then moved to take the bike from John, but placed his hands over the Chief Resident's, looking up into the older man's eyes.

"John, look...I'm sorry about last night, even if it isn't my fault. And I'm sorry about this morning too. I know you aren't ready to come out yet, and that's okay with me." Dave paused. He had so much to say, but as usual the words to express his feelings and thoughts failed him. So instead, he pulled John into a quick embrace, kissing him on the cheek discreetly. Then, he looked into John's eyes once more. "I'm sorry."

"Me too," John said, smiling softly.

"Want me to wait for you after work?" Dave asked as he turned his bike towards the ambulance bay. "I could catch up on some charts while I wait, God knows that I need to. And Weaver's going to kill me if I don't get them to her soon. We could go out for a drink afterwards. The Game Room, maybe?"

"Sure," John said, smiling as he hopped back into the Jeep, leaving the door open so he could still talk with Dave, watching his expression broaden into a smile and pure childlike delight as he said: "Then maybe we can go apartment shopping, too."

-------------------------------------

We are still living on broken glass

We are still numb because it just keeps happening

All your friends, they can kiss my ass

They only see the simple things that they want to see

-------------------------------------

Abby Lockhart, former medical student of her supposed lover Dave Malucci, spotted him enter the Lounge, a smile on his face and his good mood practically emanating from him, ready to infect her and everyone in this hospital. Perhaps it had something to do with that new girlfriend of his, she mused.

...Boyfriend?

No, that was ridiculous! Dave was not gay, and he most certainly didn't have a boyfriend. He was the resident lady killer, for God's sake, bedding any woman who would let him into her path. He'd even tried it on her once, though had managed to fail miserably when his own male hormones had gotten momentarily distracted by a certain female oriental doctor in a little black dress.

But Luka had said it with such firmness and conviction, she thought, as if he knew it for a fact. But he *had* been angry at the time, and people said stupid things when they were angry. But why was he angry with Dave? She didn't think they'd been friends, and the Rumor Mill had nothing to offer on their unexplainable behavior that might give her any hint in the right direction. And it couldn't have been because he thought she and the Junior Resident were an item, he'd been angry with Dave long before then. But that could've added to it if... Wait, it couldn't be...unless it was...then -

"Oh, my God!" Abby said out loud, startling nearly everyone at Admin around her. Luka and Dave, they'd - Dave and Luka had - were? "No... No?"

"Abby, are you okay?" Randi asked, puzzled by the nurse's sudden odd behavior. Having Dave as a boyfriend must really be getting to her, Randi thought, though she knew from experience that the sex was great. So perhaps it was worth it.

"I - I'm fine," she said hastily, quickly heading towards the Lounge. When she pushed open the door and entered the room, seeing him pulling on his scrub top over his long-sleeved T-shirt, she immediately regretted doing so. What was she going to do: just ask him? Well, she had to do something besides just stand here like an idiot. So she managed a squeaked: "Hey, Dave."

Dave glanced up in surprise, tossing Abby a look after seeing that that bad mouse impersonation had come from her. She was standing there looking almost startled, approaching him cautiously, almost nervously. One could easily tell that something was up, but he knew her well enough to know that she was afraid to ask him something. And he had a gut feeling about what it was concerning.

"Hey, Abby," he said, grabbing his stethoscope and ID badge. He decided to stay silent, pretending to rummage through his locker as if he were looking for something, while waiting for her to make the next move.

"How's your girlfriend?" she asked suddenly. Real smooth, Abby, she thought to herself, mentally smacking herself in the head.

"Fine," he replied casually.

"...*She's* fine?" she asked, as innocently as possible, though hesitantly so. He glanced at her in his peripheral vision, but did not reply. Abby was his best friend - maybe his only friend - and he would not risk their relationship by lying to her...but was he willing to come out to her? He watched her open her mouth to say something, close it, open it again, and then finally say: "Dave, are you gay?"

"No," he said evenly.

She hesitated again. "Are you bisexual?"

"Yes," he said, just as evenly as before, though he still wasn't looking directly at her. There he'd done it. That wasn't so hard. But now for her reaction.

"Dave!" She suddenly smacked his arm, and he pulled away from her, glancing at her in surprise, letting out an "Ow!" as she said: "Why didn't you tell me??"

"I don't know!" he said, closing his locker. "It's not something that comes up in conversation. 'Hey, Abby, how ya doing? Let's go have a cup of coffee. Oh by the way, I'm bisexual, just to let you know.'"

"And you're seeing a guy, aren't you?" she continued, ignoring his sarcasm.

"Yes," he admitted.

"Dave!" She smacked his arm again. "Why didn't you tell me that, either?!"

"Ow!" he exclaimed, flinching away from her as he rubbed his stinging flesh. "Stop that!"

"Who are you seeing?" she persisted. "Luka? Yeah, I know all about you two. But he's not rich, that doesn't make sense."

"It's not Luka," he said, heading towards the Lounge door with her following close behind. "He and I have been over for a long time."

"What?" Abby asked, shocked that her suspicions were indeed true. "When was this?"

"In the summer. After you guys broke up," he said. "I was the rebound guy. I guess that was the problem."

"Problem?" Abby asked, confused.

"Well, Luka had never been with a guy before and he really couldn't handle all the...complications that came with it, so we ended it."

"But not on good terms," Abby added.

Dave looked at her, and she could see that that fact deeply bothered him. "Actually, we left it on terrible terms."

"I know the feeling," Abby muttered, thinking back to her and Luka's breakup. She suddenly looked up at him. "So...then who are you seeing now??"

"I can't tell you." She raised her hand again, but he pulled away from her before she could smack his arm again, and she missed, catching only air. He turned to her, his expression exasperated. "Look, I can't tell you because it isn't my place. Now I've got patients to see. I'll talk to you later, I promise!"

"Dave!" she called after him as he quickly moved down the hallway, grabbing a random chart and heading towards the correct room, avoiding her prying questions - for now. "I'm going to find out who it is sooner or later, Malucci!!"

"Lover's spat?" she heard the unmistakable voice of Robert Romano ask. Apparently, even *he* had heard the rumors.

But, frankly, she was sick of it. "Oh, shut up!"

-------------------------------------

Let me be the one to make the pain go away

Shed my skin and show a brand new face

You know I just wanna know that you're okay

-------------------------------------

Two hours later, John Carter entered Cook County General, patting the newspaper in his coat pocket that he'd picked up on the way over, thinking of the different apartments Dave and he could get. With John's salary as Chief Resident - and not to mention that trust fund with his name on it - they could easily get a nice spacious apartment with a great view of the city and a great big bed.

On that note, John considered the sex they'd had last night. Dave had to have been drinking, he just *had* to have been, even if for some reason Dave didn't want to admit it. And that combined with the cold medicine could've made him act the way he did. What else could explain his odd behavior? Dave had even said so himself, that he'd never want to hurt John. So why else would he unless he couldn't control himself?

But John hadn't tasted or smelled alcohol on Dave's breath when he'd kissed him, and Dave *had* said that he hadn't been drinking.

"You knew, didn't you?" He turned away from his locker to face Abby, who was looking at him accusingly, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Knew what?" he asked, taking off his shoulder bag and hanging it in his locker.

"About Dave," she simply stated, having second thoughts about whether or not John knew. Coming in here, she'd decided that since John and Dave were closer friends than she and Dave were, then that had to mean that John knew that Dave was seeing a guy. But if he didn't, then maybe Dave hadn't told him for a reason, and that was his decision, not hers. So she'd just have to ask him without asking, if that were even possible.

"What about Dave?" John asked, wondering just what exactly this was about.

"Uh...uh...that he's...seeing Jing-Mei," she said, the wheels of her mind in overdrive as she tried to think of a way to get John to admit that Dave was bisexual *and* seeing a guy, then try to find out just who that guy was. She hastily added: "And they're moving in together."

John had to laugh. "What?"

"Yeah, you knew," Abby said casually, nodding as she brushed a stray piece of brown hair behind her ear. "I knew you knew. And you'd blatantly denied it before."

"Abby, trust me, they're not seeing each other and they're not moving in together," John stated. Where the hell had she gotten this information? Dave? Maybe he'd mentioned something about moving, and now she was trying to find out whom Dave was seeing by tricking him. Well, it wasn't going to work. "She doesn't even *like* him."

"That's...not what Jing-Mei said."

His head snapped towards her, his brow furrowed in pure incredulity now. "Jing-Mei told you that she was moving in with Dave? Um, why do I find that hard to believe?"

"Okay, so maybe she didn't say that," Abby confirmed with a shrug. "But she's the only...woman I know who's rich, and Dave said the...person he was seeing was rich."

"Maybe it's Dr. Romano," John mused sarcastically, wishing for a trauma to come in that required his assistance, or a fire in the hospital that would force them to leave, or perhaps lightning would strike him dead, ending their conversation permanently. At least he wouldn't have to worry about it then.

"But that would mean Dave was gay...or at least bisexual." She then leaned close to John, forcing him to meet his eye. "Dave's not gay or bisexual, is he?"

He looked at her from the corner of his eye. "Why...why would you think Dave was gay or bisexual?"

"Hey, *you're* the one that brought a guy into the conversation," Abby countered.

"What exactly did Dave tell you?"

"I don't know," she shrugged. "What exactly do you know?"

He watched her for a moment, almost falling for this one, but then he turned back to his locker, shaking his head as he said: "I am not having this conversation with you."

"I knew you knew!" Abby said, able to tell by now when John was lying or trying to hide something. She knew him too well. And don't think she hadn't caught his surprise yesterday when she'd stated that Dave was seeing a woman and he'd said, "She?" She narrowed her eyes now, thinking of how it'd only raised her suspicion. "And you knew he was dating a guy, didn't you?"

"Abby..." he started. It wasn't his place to say anything unless Dave had told her already, but he wondered why Dave would do something like that. He'd just said this morning that John didn't want to come out yet, and that he was fine with it. Now he was going to pull something like this? Was he *trying* to give them away? Shit...what if she already knew??

"He just told me today," she went on to say, leaning back against the locker next to John's. She suddenly turned to face John again, her eyes wide. "Do you know who he's seeing??"

Maybe she didn't. "No, I don't. And even if I did, it isn't my place to tell you." Her brow suddenly furrowed, her gaze pinning him to the wall. "What?"

"I think you know," was the slow reply. Know what? Shit, did she know or not?? He couldn't figure it out! God, what had Dave *told* her?! "You know who it is. Who is it??"

"I can't tell you," he stammered hastily, thanking God that she *didn't* know. He quickly took off his jacket, wanting to get out of there immediately, and his newspaper of apartments for rent fell out of his pocket and into the floor. Abby bent down and picked it up, glancing over it before handing it to him. "Thanks."

"You're moving?" she asked, and he was grateful that the subject had been changed. "Man, you guys don't tell me anything anymore!"

"Sorry," John apologized, tossing the paper into his locker and closing it. He placed his stethoscope around his neck, grabbing some much-needed coffee before heading out into the ER. "I just decided to today. I picked that up on the way over here, I'm going to look it over on my break. Want to help?"

"Sure," she said. "So who is it?"

"Who's whom?"

"Who Dave is seeing!" she exclaimed, as if the notion he'd forgotten what they'd been discussing was unbelievable.

"Abby, I don't know who it is," John said, wishing right about now that he could strangle Dave for ever telling Abby that he was bisexual and seeing a man. What the hell had he been thinking? He'd definitely have to talk about this with Dave as soon as possible.

"Oh, yes you do!" she insisted, pointing at him. "You just said that you couldn't tell me. You know, I know you know. I won't tell anyone if you tell me, I promise!"

"Abby, I really can't tell you," he stated, spotting the Junior Resident he was looking for sewing up an arm lac near Admin. The ER was exceptionally busy today, forcing some patients into the halls. He hurried towards Dave and away from Abby, glad that she finally gave up badgering him and stopped following him with a loud frustrated sigh. Once Abby was out of sight, John approached Dave and grabbed his arm, motioning towards an empty supply closet. "We need to talk."

"I'm kinda busy," Dave reported, holding up the needle and thread as if to prove it to him.

"Now." Whoa, the younger man thought. No room for argument there.

"Okay..." Dave said, his brow furrowed. Uh oh, this couldn't be good. He excused himself from his patient, telling him not to move a muscle, and then followed John into an empty supply closet, who immediately closed the door behind him. He turned towards the Chief Resident, confusion in his eyes. "What's up? What's so important that you had to pull me away from a patient? Real unprofessional, man."

"You want to talk about unprofessional??" he asked Dave, standing close to him threateningly. Dave stood up straighter and raised his chin to appear taller, knowing from experience when a fight was coming, physical or not. "Let's talk about *you* telling Abby you're bisexual and seeing a guy."

Dave tossed John an incredulous smile, glancing off briefly. "*That's* why you're so upset? John, in case you didn't notice, Abby and I are pretty close; there isn't much we keep from each other."

"Well, you should've kept *this* from her!" John spat, pacing nervously about the small room.

"Why?" Dave wanted to know, holding out his hands.

"What if she thinks *I'm* the guy you're seeing?"

"Well, you are the guy I'm seeing," Dave stated blatantly.

John sighed in frustration. "I mean: what if she thinks I'm gay?"

"You are gay...bisexual? In denial? What do you want me to say??" Dave asked, remembering their conversation from this morning. John tossed Dave an exasperated look, stopping his pacing to cross his arms over his chest. "Look," Dave said, approaching the Chief Resident. He placed his hands on John's upper arms, gently rubbing them up and down as he stood flush to him. "I'm sorry if you didn't want her to know, but she's my best friend, my *only* friend, and I don't want to lie to her. But just because you and I are friends and I'm bisexual doesn't automatically make *you* the guy I'm seeing. And don't worry, she doesn't suspect anything either. She thought it was *Luka*."

John looked up at Dave, whose charm and aesthetic features could win him over during any argument. He slowly smiled, giving in. "It's okay. Just..."

"I know," Dave said, wishing John would get past his fears so Dave could tell the world that they were together. But maybe for now it was okay; he kind of liked the idea of having John all to himself. He slipped his hands on either side of John's face, leaning in for a kiss.

"Are you sure we should do this here?" John asked, glancing at the closed door. But all thoughts were chased from his mind when he felt Dave's lips upon his own.

Things got serious fairly quickly. They weren't about to have sex right here, right now in this supply closet, but a heavy make-out session was in progress and wasn't nearly over yet. Tongues were clashing, hands were roaming: John's up the back of Dave's scrub top and Dave's pulling John's shirt out of his pants so he could feel that silky smooth chest.

And then a beeper going off. John's beeper. "Ignore it," Dave demanded, not ready to leave John's lips just yet. John did what he was told, plucking it off of his belt and chucking it across the small room, the beeper knocking over a few brooms and mops in its wake. Apparently, John wasn't ready to leave Dave's lips just yet, either, loving the feel of Dave's strong back under his fingertips.

But the next thing Dave knew, however, he was being pushed away roughly by John, nearly tripping and falling backwards but regaining his balance before doing so. He opened his eyes in surprise, glancing up. "What is it?" Following John's line of vision, he saw Abby Lockhart standing in the doorway, clearing her throat. "Oh." He cleared his throat as well, looking at the floor as he rubbed the nape of his neck.

"Smart, funny, good-looking, special and *rich*," she said, pointing to John. "I should've known." She then indicated the fallen mops and brooms at her feet. "I heard some noises in here, so I thought it'd check it out. Now that I see it was just you two making out, I'm going to..." - she paused, thinking for a moment - "stay right here, gape at you guys, and make you feel really uncomfortable."

"Thanks, Abby," Dave said with a sarcastic smile, though there was amusement in his eyes. "You're a doll."

"No problem," she said, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning in the doorway. She watched the two men expectantly. "Go on. I was enjoying your little make-out session just as much as you two were, trust me."

"Maybe you'd like to join us?" Dave asked, winking at her suggestively.

"No...no. Well, perhaps some other time," she responded winking back at him. "Right now, I'm enjoying watching the two of you."

"We weren't making out," John stated feebly, but the words rang false even to his own ears. But Abby couldn't know...if she did, she could let it slip to someone else, and then the whole hospital would know. And he didn't want to know what would happen then. He glanced at Dave for help. "We were just..."

"Making out," he clarified casually.

"Dave!" John exclaimed, his desperate eyes urgently trying to make Dave look at him, but the Junior Resident was looking at Abby.

"Well, he certainly wasn't giving you mouth-to-mouth," Abby stated dryly.

Dave began to laugh, but when he glanced at John, all humor on the subject turned to ashes in his mouth. The Chief Resident looked like a deer caught in headlights: startled and surprised - most of all, scared. Dave exchanged glances with Abby, both sensing John didn't find anything even remotely funny.

"Listen, Abby." Dave started in an attempt to make John feel better about being caught kissing another man. But John's beeper going off once more interrupted him, and the older man immediately took the chance to get out of the room, not even bothering to pick up his pager before he left in a rush. "John...John wait!"

Abby watched John move down the hallway and disappear into the crowded ER, obviously flustered at the fact that she had walked in on him kissing Dave. She turned back to Dave with a frown, his brow furrowed in concern. He looked at Abby now, regaining his composure, and he offered her another one of his casual shrugs that Abby knew deceptively hid what he was feeling.

"So..." she started, bending down to pick up the fallen brooms and mops off of the floor. "You and John are...?"

"Yeah," he verified, helping her in her task by leaning them up against the wall where they'd once been standing. Once finished, he turned to face her, talking in a low voice so no one would overhear. "But...could you please talk to him about this? Reassure him that it's okay that you know. He's never done this before." Dave paused for a moment, worry suddenly clouding his face. "It *is* okay with you, right, Abby?"

Abby looked up at him. "Would that make a difference?"

"I'd still be with John, but what you think matters to me, Abby," he said. "I care what you think of me."

"It's fine with me," she said softly, nodding. And before the subject got too "mushy" for either of them, she asked: "Have you been with a man before? I mean, before Luka?"

Dave nodded. "A few."

"Oh," she said, mostly because she couldn't think of anything else to say.

"You sound surprised."

"I am."

"Disappointed?"

"No!" she said quickly, and then smiled. "Just surprised: I mean, John maybe, but...*you*??"

-------------------------------------

You don't have to like it

But the swing is in my hands now

-------------------------------------

Abby Lockhart glanced inside of the drug lock-up, her shoulders slumping in defeat and a soft curse escaping her lips as she saw that it was empty. For an hour now, she'd been searching for John Carter, her mission sidetracked several times by traumas, patients and other distractions. She was about to continue her search when she glanced down at her clipboard, remembering that she hadn't gotten to finish her inventory because of one specific Croatian doctor, and then crossed the threshold into the small room, pulling a pen from her pocket as she began to finish her job.

Her eyes searched the shelves expertly after years of experience, trying to locate the drug that she was looking for so she could cross-reference it with her list of the drugs that had been signed out and write down if any were missing or if there was too much. Dexedrine, Dexedrine...where was the Dexedrine? She stood on tiptoe to get a better view of the top shelf, but it wasn't there either. Where could it be? Had someone misplaced it? Sighing, she marked it down on her inventory and moved on to the next drug.

Halfway finished with her inventory, Abby Lockhart knew that something was wrong. Her brow furrowed as she flipped through the pages of her clipboard, noting different drugs and numbers, glancing up at the shelves though not really seeing them. She shook her head incredulously, sighing as she did so. "Damn doctors don't know how to sign out anything."

"What do you mean?" she heard from next to her, and when she turned she could see Dr. Weaver standing beside her, searching the shelves with her eyes for atropine. Abby hadn't even noticed her enter the room.

"They're taking drugs without signing them out," she said, indicating the shelves around them. "Controlled substances, too. Look." She held out the chart to Dr. Weaver, pointing out the different drugs as she said: "Two Demerol, twenty-eight Benzodiazipines - twenty of them Klonipins, a whole bottle of Dexedrines, sixteen Percocets, and two barbiturates, amongst others."

"A whole *bottle* of Dexedrines?" the older woman asked, amazed that so many drugs could be taken from the drug lock-up without someone signing them out - especially *those* kind of drugs. Addictive drugs. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I checked and double checked," Abby confirmed. She looked Dr. Weaver in the eye then, pure concern and worry filling them. "You don't think someone's stealing them...do you?"

As if on cue, John Carter, in need of some Lidocaine for his patient in Sutures, entered the drug lock-up. The two women immediately glanced at him suspiciously, their eyes almost pinning him to the wall. God, Abby hadn't told Dr. Weaver that she'd discovered him and Dave making-out quite juvenilely in a supply closet, had she? And now they were discussing what they should do with him? He froze in his steps, unable to turn and duck out, even though he wanted to.

"John," Dr. Weaver started. Oh, God, here it came. But what was she going to say, exactly? That he was warned? Suspended? God, she'd almost fired Dave for having sex with that paramedic, what was she going to do to him? "John, Abby was conducting her inventory when she...noticed something."

"What?" he asked, glancing at the nurse, his brow furrowing in thought. What did he and Dave have to do with her drug inventory? Perhaps she hadn't told Dr. Weaver about them...

"Some drugs are missing," the Chief of the ED stated, leaning heavily on her crutch. She sighed, her eyes displaying her concern. "Dexedrines, Percocets, Klonipins, Demerol, barbiturates." She trailed off, her eyes fixating on him. John tilted his head, getting the gist of what she was about to say. He was almost relieved that they weren't speaking of what had occurred earlier in the empty supply closet, but he wasn't sure what was worse: that or being suspected of abusing drugs again. He glanced at Abby once more, then back to Dr. Weaver. "John, do you have anything to do with this?"

"No," he said quickly, holding up his hands in innocence, shaking his head. "I'll take a drug test, pee in a cup, whatever you want, but I'm not the one taking anything. I sign out all my drugs, addictive or not, you can check out the list."

"That's all right, I believe you," Dr. Weaver said, shaking her head and holding up her hand in resignation. She sighed once more, rubbing her temple with her forefingers as if she had a headache. Glancing up at her two employees, she said: "If you have any idea who could be doing this, please let me know. Until then, I'm going to call a staff meeting and let the others know."

"Sure thing," Abby said, and John said something similar. The Chief then left the room, leaving said employees alone, and upon realizing this, John quickly tried to duck out, but Abby grabbed his arm, stopping him. "Not so fast. I wanted to talk to you."

"About what?" he asked innocently, unable to meet her gaze, instead shifting his own to the shelves surrounding them.

"About what happened earlier," she stated, leaning against the counter, her arms crossed over her chest. She noted how nervous he seemed, and she was almost sad to know that he believed there was something immoral with what he and Dave shared. "John, I want you to know that there's nothing wrong with you having a relationship with Dave. There's nothing wrong with being attracted to someone and acting upon it, and no one has a right to tell you who that person is or who that person *should* be. I'm happy for you guys, it's about time the both of you found someone. I hope that you make each other happy."

"Really?" he asked quietly, looking up at her with questioning eyes. She smiled warmly at him and nodded, and he instantly let out a sigh of relief that must've started from his toes. Abby was one of his closest friends as well, and he didn't want to lose her. He was very glad that she was okay with everything, and wasn't about to break off their friendship because he was involved with a man. And he knew that in today's homophobic society, this was likely to occur with some people.

But Abby hadn't been the first person to find out, though she was the first to walk in on the two men in a heated moment. And he was exceptionally glad that this hadn't been the case with his own grandmother.

* * *

Storm clouds blanketed the sky, making the night unusually dark and unusually cold, the two young men's breath coming out in visible puffs as they walked up the path to the Carter family mansion, quickly so they wouldn't be spotted. Tonight, John had to stay at home because he'd slept over Dave's all week, and his grandmother and grandfather were beginning to become suspicious of his excuses that he had to work late at the hospital. But he'd assured Dave that he could sleep over, since his grandfather - having come out of the hospital a few weeks ago - was fully recuperated and was on a business trip, and his grandmother had a charity breakfast to attend to early tomorrow morning from seven o'clock until eleven o'clock. Dave had met him by the front gate, and now the older man was leading him into the house, John's hand clasped with Dave's, who was glancing around at the large estate grounds, still amazed by the vastness of it.

"Jeeze, this place is *huge*," Dave stated, tilting his head back to see if he could see all three floors of the mansion, but unable to do so because of the darkness. He turned to his left to see a large lake, shimmering in the small amount of light from the partly visible moon, and when he turned to his right, he could only see the mansion walls stretching on and on. "Is this place made out of gold bricks, too?"

John paused briefly, turning to his companion. "Dave, I'm not as rich as you think I am."

"You're richer than I am," he pointed out, still studying the visible parts of the estate in the night.

"You're not rich at all," John reminded him, and only then did Dave turn to face him.

"Thanks for reminding me that you're slumming every time you come to my place," Dave said sarcastically, though a smile was playing on his lips. He briefly considered this fact, but quickly pushed the thought to the back of his mind before he delved too much into it and came up with answers he didn't want.

"Come on," John said, letting out a small laugh before leading the younger man into the house. "We're almost there.

"Almost there..." Dave scoffed with incredulity. "We gotta walk through booby traps to get to the front door, or something?"

"No, just guards with automatic weapons."

"What??"

"Kidding, Dave. I'm kidding."

They entered the side door by the kitchen, and silently made their way inside the dimly lit house. As John led him down different hallways and through different rooms, Dave briefly wondered how he could possibly remember which way to go in a house this big. It must be nice to have money to spend, he considered silently, nearly knocking into the corner of a piece of furniture that if he broke he knew he'd never be able to replace it.

John suddenly stopped him before they entered another hallway, the Junior Resident nearly crashing into him. He leaned close to Dave, whispering in his ear: "You have to be really quiet. My Gamma's room is down this hallway, and I don't want to wake her, but this is the only way to get to my room without going around the whole house."

Dave was about to sarcastically remind him that this was no house when John moved inside the hallway, Dave having to follow because they were still holding hands. They tiptoed silently down the long hall, the younger man wondering which room exactly was his grandmother's when there was a metallic clinking sound, and John immediately picked up his pace, fearing his grandmother had awoken.

"Wait, wait, wait," Dave whispered insistently, stopping John from pulling him any further. The older man turned to Dave, who indicated behind them. "Those were my keys, I dropped my keys. I have to go get them. Don't move, I don't want to get lost."

John nodded, and the Junior Resident moved down the hallway silently, his eyes searching the dimly lit floor for his keys. He spotted them, the light glinting off of them from the small hall light, and quickly plucked them off of the floor, clasping his hand around them so they wouldn't make any noise. Standing upright, he began walking down the hallway again when a voice stopped him in his tracks.

"John?" Millicent Carter called from her bedroom, which Dave was standing directly in front of. He looked up at John, wishing he could see the older man's eyes in the darkness. John was too far down the hallway for his grandmother to even begin to think that if he replied, the voice would come from the form standing in front of her open door. So Dave had no choice but to pretend to be him. "John, is that you?"

Standing straighter to appear taller, moving his hand to his mouth and pretending to cough into it, Dave replied in as best an impersonation of John's higher-pitched voice: "Yes?"

"What are you doing awake at this hour?" she inquired, and Dave prayed to God that she didn't venture out of her room. He didn't want to be the catalyst that resulted in her having a fatal MI and keeling over right then and there.

He coughed again, pretending to clear his throat. "Needed some water."

"Oh," she replied from her room. "Good night, then, John."

"'Night, Grandma," he said hastily, bolting down the hallway and towards John, who took his hand once more and quickly led him through another hallway, then up more stairs and finally to his bedroom. He closed the door behind him, letting out a deep breath and turning towards the older man, who was turning on a small light. "Jesus Christ," he breathed.

"That was way too fucking close," John said, facing the younger man with raised eyebrows.

"You're telling me," Dave said, indicating himself as they began to undress themselves and get ready for bed. Dave had been hoping for some sex in that huge bed of John's again, but the older man had reminded him that Corrine and the family were going to be home, and he didn't want them to overhear anything, so just sleeping would occur tonight. But Dave had no problem with that: he would choose John just lying next to him over sleeping alone any night. "You have no idea how hard it is to imitate your voice."

"What's wrong with my voice?" John asked defensively, though Dave could tell that he was only half serious.

"Nothing," Dave said with a smile, holding up his hands in mock-surrender. John began to pull on a pair of sweatpants, but Dave stopped him, looking up at him with those beautiful brown eyes that John loved. "Can we...sleep naked?"

"Dave, you know we can't do anything tonight," John reminded him, though he'd stopped in his task.

"I know," he replied, nodding. He smiled sheepishly, and if it were brighter in the room John would've seen the blush rise in Dave's cheeks. "I just...I mean, you know. If we...sleep naked, then I can...just...feel your skin against mine."

John smiled softly, touched by the Junior Resident's words, who rarely allowed himself to voice his own feelings. Standing flush to the younger man, he placed his hands on either side of Dave's face, pulling him into a gentle kiss before separating and moving to the bed, crawling under the covers with him. Very soon, they lay drowsily in each other's arms, listening to the seconds tick by on the clock over John's fireplace.

"John," Dave suddenly said, the sleepiness in his voice apparent.

"Mmm hmm?"

"This is the most comfortable mattress I've ever laid on."

"Really?" he mumbled, his eyes closed.

"Yep," he replied. "And this is the warmest blanket I've ever laid under. But do you know what the best part about this bed is?"

"What's that?"

Dave kissed him softly on the forehead, then whispered: "You're in it."

---

Sometimes I think the power is better than a hard drug

Sometimes I think the power is better than anything

Sometimes I think letting go is just like giving up

Sometimes all I think I wanna do is die inside

---

In the morning, the younger man had awoken first, John sleeping soundly beside him. Glancing at the clock, he'd noted that it was seven-thirty, so they were probably alone in the house, and he was beginning to get hungry, so he figured he could make them something to eat, and then wake John to join him. After pulling the first pair of boxers he saw - John's boxers - he ventured out of the room, desperately trying to remember how to get to the kitchen, having only been here two times. After doubling back twice, Dave finally found his way to said room, and began poking around in the refrigerator, looking for something he could make them.

"Excuse me?" He stood upright, accidentally hitting his head on one of the shelves, and whirled around to face Millicent Carter, who was standing in the doorway of the kitchen in a thick robe and slippers. "But you're not John."

"Uh, no...no, I'm not," he replied, suddenly realizing that he was half-naked in this woman's kitchen - not to mention wearing a pair of her grandson's underwear. He glanced to his left and saw a kitchen towel next to the sink, and tried to inconspicuously pick it up and cover himself up as much of himself with it as possible. "Uh...John said you were, uh, going to be at a, uh, uh, a charity breakfast or something," he stammered as if he were an idiot. His heart was doing ninety as he tried to figure out what to say next, cursing himself because he could usually make up an excuse in even the stickiest of situations. "But, uh, you're...here."

"After arriving home late last night from a charity *dinner,* I decided to skip it," she said casually, pulling up a stool at the counter and sitting down. She indicated behind him. "Could you shut the refrigerator? You're letting all the cold air out."

"Sure," he said quickly, hastily closing the door behind him. He pointed in the general direction of John's bedroom. "Uh, John's still sleeping." He quickly corrected himself after realizing he'd only know that if he had been sleeping in the same room. "I think. Uh, I'm not sure, because I haven't seen him awake yet. See, last night he invited me over for a drink, and it got pretty late, so...uh...uh...he let me sleep here. In a guestroom," he added quickly. "I - I found my own way to the kitchen."

"Dr. Malucci, is it?" she asked, remembering him from John's congratulation party, remembering what her maternal instincts had picked up that night. He nodded, holding his breath instinctively. "Well, relax, Dr. Malucci. I know about you two."

"What?" was the slow reply. He narrowed his eyes, unsure of what exactly she meant. "You mean, John told you he was having me over last night?"

"No," she said, folding her hands atop the counter. "I mean I know that you and John are intimate."

"Uh...John and I? We're just friends. We work together."

"Dr. Malucci, can I ask you something?" she suddenly asked, crossing her arms over her chest now. He nodded slowly, not trusting his voice. "Do I look like an idiot?"

"No..." he replied, though she continued as if he hadn't spoken.

"Because I must if you think that I am about to believe the two of you aren't intimate when you're sneaking around my house at three in the morning holding hands and calling me *grandma*, and then the next morning you are standing in the middle of my kitchen half-naked wearing a pair of John's boxers!"

It took Dave a minute to begin thinking again. Then, he said: "Yeah, so, uh..."

"I may be old, but I haven't lost my wits yet," she stated. There was a brief silence between them, where Dave was calculating the best way to duck out of this situation and make his escape, while Millicent watched him squirm under her gaze. "So are you going to make some breakfast, Dr. Malucci, or am I going to have to do it myself?"

"Uh, sure." He glanced up at her, noting her smile of amusement, and he smiled too, relief washing over him as he realized that not only did John's grandmother know about them, but she also had no problem with it. "And, please, call me Dave."

"Well, in that case, Dave," she said, shrugging, "you can call me Gamma."

"Gamma?" Dave asked, testing the word as it rolled off of his tongue. He wrinkled his nose, unable to say the name without being embarrassed. "Isn't that one of those names that the grandkids eventually grow out of calling their grandmothers?"

"Not when you're as close to the grandkids as I am," she replied, hoping that perhaps she could get close to this unique individual as well. She knew that the reason John hadn't told her about Dave yet was probably because he was afraid she would admonish him for caring about another man, and she hoped that maybe by showing John that Dave was welcome into her home - her life - he could see that it was all right for him to feel that way.

"How about I call you Nonna," he said. She raised an eyebrow, wondering where he could've possibly come up with that name. "It means grandma in Italian. I think I probably would've called my grandmother that if I'd had one."

"Nonna?" She wrinkled her nose now. "It sounds like a breed of dog."

"Hey, take it or leave it," Dave said with a grin, shrugging as he did so. "I could always call you Milly."

"Nonna it is."

"Great," he said with a nod, the last of his nervousness leaving his body. He smiled one of his winning smiles, opening the refrigerator once more and indicating its contents. "So how about some breakfast, Nonna?"

---

All I wanna do is die inside

All I ever think about is you and me falling apart

---

Descending the stairs to the main floor one half-hour later, John Carter paused midway after hearing laughter coming from the kitchen. He thought he recognized Dave's laughter and his own Gamma's, but what would his grandmother and Dave be doing in the kitchen laughing? For one, Gamma wasn't even home, she was at a charity breakfast for some organization or another. For two, that would just be plain ridiculous. Continuing down the stairs once more, John figured that Dave was probably making breakfast for the two of them, listening to the nearby radio or watching the television in there or something.

"I have to say that that is the oddest thing I've ever heard!" Gamma's voice. Definitely Gamma's voice. "It really happened?"

"You bet." Dave's voice. Definitely Dave's voice. Oh, my God... "You should see half of the things we see in the ER, Nonna. It'd just blow you away."

John abruptly stopped in his tracks, nearly falling down the stairs as he did so. Dave was in his kitchen, talking with his Gamma, and he was calling her *what*?? Had he just been sucked into an alternate universe?? Rushing down the stairs, he moved to the kitchen, needing to witness this to see if it was really happening. And when he stood in the doorway of the room, Gamma and Dave turning to face him with warm smiles, he cursed the fact that the Earth never opened up and swallowed you whole when you wanted it to.

"Hey, John," Dave said. He indicated the pans on the stove, filled with different foods. "I made breakfast. Want some?"

"Dave really is an excellent cook," Gamma went on to say, nodding with satisfaction as she took a bite of her breakfast. "You really should try these omelets, they're wonderful."

"I'm sure they are," he stated, a note of intolerance in his voice audible. He turned to the Junior Resident. "Dave, may I please speak with you privately?"

"Uh...sure," he said, exchanging glances with Millicent. He knew this couldn't be good. "I'll be right back. And don't you move, I've got a million stories just like the one I just told you," he said to her, and she held up her hands in resignation. Leaving the table, he moved into the adjoining hall with John, who was looking seriously pissed off. "What is it?"

"What is it?" he hissed incredulously, his voice low so Gamma couldn't hear him. "What is it?? You tell me, Dave. Just what the *fuck* do you think you're doing?"

"Excuse me?" Dave asked, taken aback by the Chief Resident's harsh words. "What is your problem?"

"My problem? What is my problem?? You're my problem, Dave. But the real question: is what the fuck is *your* problem, Dave?" John spat, pacing throughout the small hall. He glanced at Dave, his eyes fiery with anger. "What do you think you're doing having breakfast with my grandmother?"

Dave was totally and utterly confused. "Well, it's morning, and you generally have breakfast in the morning, so..."

"Don't get smart with me!" John whispered harshly, cutting him off before he could go any further. "This isn't funny and this isn't cute! This is serious. You know what I mean: now she knows that you and I are...together. Are you stupid, or something? Or maybe you're just out to ruin my life!"

"Oh..." Recognition crossed Dave's face as he realized why John was so upset. "John, don't worry, she has no problem with it."

"No problem with it??" John asked incredulously. "Of course she's going to have a problem with it!"

"You repeat a lot when you're angry," Dave noted, leaning against the wall offhandedly. "Did you know that?"

"Is that all you can do?" John asked, annoyed as he paused in his pacing, turning to the Junior Resident. "Be sarcastic? Because now isn't really the time. My grandmother just found out that her grandson is seeing a man, how do you think she's going to feel about that? As indifferent as you are??"

"Why don't you ask her?" the two men heard from behind them, and they turned to see Millicent standing in the doorway between the kitchen and hallway, having overheard parts of their conversation. She turned to Dave briefly. "Dave, would you mind if John and I shared a moment alone?"

"No, ma'am," he replied, shaking his head and making a hasty retreat upstairs, having finished his breakfast and needing to get into some clothes so he could head out to work on time. He could say a more formal goodbye to Millicent once he was finished getting ready. "I'll see you both later."

"John, come in here and sit down," she said to her grandson, motioning towards the kitchen. Sitting down at her previous spot, John sat across from her, where Dave had been sitting earlier. She watched him carefully, noting his nervousness and apprehension, but remained silent, waiting for him to look up at her. When he finally did, she finally said: "Two years ago, a man took away your happiness overnight. One month ago, Dave brought it back to you. He makes you happy, John, something that I've wanted for you for so long, something that you deserve after all that you've been through. He seems like such a nice young man, and he can certainly cook - something you can't do for the life of you." She turned serious once more. "John, don't let your inhibitions hold you back when you're finally happy. And I want you to know that you are my grandson, and I love you no matter who *you* love, man or woman."

John looked up from under his brow, touched by his grandmother's words. She loved him, even if he was involved with another man. She wasn't going to shun him or denounce him from the family or wipe out his trust fund or anything remotely as drastic, because she loved him. She was perfectly fine with the fact that he was with Dave, and she was even happy for him - happy because he was happy.

"Now go upstairs and apologize to our guest, John."

"I was pretty hard on him, wasn't I?"

"You were horrid, John," she said. "And I don't ever want to hear you using that language in my house again."

---

Never said I was innocent

I will burn in hell for the things I've done to you

Never said I was anything good...

---

The clouds that had enveloped the night sky were now gone, having moved west of Chicago, and now the sun was shining brightly, offering slight warmth during the cold of winter. Bathed in this warmth was Dave Malucci, as he walked down the driveway of the Carter mansion, heading towards the road where the cab would be arriving in a few minutes. He'd considered waiting for John to tell him that he was leaving, but he didn't want to hear any more of John's accusations or insults today, so he left quickly while John was still speaking with his grandmother.

Frankly, John had hurt his feelings, so as he saw the older man coming down the driveway in his Jeep, probably in search of the missing doctor, he kept walking, ignoring the Chief Resident as he kept his gaze at the ground beneath his feet.

"Dave," John called, putting the Jeep in park and quickly hopping out of it to chase the younger man down the long driveway, who was steadily quickening his pace. "Dave!" he called again, jogging to catch up with him. He grabbed the younger man's arm, letting Dave's momentum swing him towards John. "Dave, wait."

"Get off of me, John," he said, pulling his arm away from him and continuing on his trek.

"I thought I was going to drive you home," John stated, pausing briefly in the driveway.

"I called a cab from the house."

"What??" John asked in surprise, immediately resuming following Dave. Once caught up with him, he tried to walk with the younger man, but he couldn't keep up with his pace. "Dave, why would you do that?"

"Wouldn't want to bother you," he said with a sardonic smile, his hands stuffed into his pockets. "I mean, if I'm ruining your life, then I might as well just get out of it as soon as I can, right?"

"What are you...?" he began to ask, but then remembered that he'd said something about Dave ruining his life when they'd been arguing in the hall. Damn it, sometimes he really should think before he decided to speak. "Dave, I didn't mean it before, I was just..."

"Then you shouldn't have said it," he interrupted, suddenly stopping. John paused as well, a few steps in front of Dave, and when he turned back to the younger man, he could clearly see hurt in his eyes. "Look, I know you may not think much of me, but that doesn't mean you can talk to me like that. And I may not be that much, but at least I'm not rude and I treat you with respect." He paused trying to gather the right words. "I care about you more than you think, John, and despite what you think, I'm not out to ruin your life. But if I am, then maybe we should just quit it right now."

"Dave..." John tried, taking a step towards the younger man, who only took another step back, holding out his hands defensively.

"No! John, the last thing I want to do is make you unhappy, and if I do, then..." he trailed off, his shoulders slumping in defeat. He looked up at John again, sighing. "Forget it. Go back to pretending. Hell, maybe you could even find a nice rich girl, settle down and make everyone happy."

"I'm sorry!" John implored. "I was angry, and people say stupid things when they're angry. More than angry I was scared, Dave. I didn't know what my grandmother was going to do. It may be easy for you to come out but it isn't for me, especially when someone does it for me."

"I didn't say anything, John," Dave interjected. "She figured it out herself. I mean, come on! I was standing in the kitchen in *your* boxers! I would never say anything to anyone about you, about us. I know you aren't ready for it. But you just thought the worst of me. You don't trust me, and from the sound of what you said before you don't respect me, either. Hell, it sounded like you don't even *like* me."

"Dave," John said, knowing no matter what he was saying, Dave still believed that John didn't think much of him. And he wondered if he was just saying the wrong things, or if there just wasn't anything he *could* say that wouldn't hurt Dave. "Dave, I don't think you're stupid, and I know you'd never hurt me. I was just scared. Please, believe me, Dave. Please?"

There was a brief pause. Then, quietly: "You know, my old man used to talk to me like that. And I swore I'd never let anyone else do that. But here I am, letting you talk to me like that because I..." He stopped, letting the sentence hang, allowing John to contemplate what he'd wanted to say.

"Because you what?" John asked softly, wishing he'd continued with what he was about to say, needing to hear those words because somehow - even if it was crazy and irrational - John swore it would've made all of his problems disappear or at least seem small and stupid.

Dave looked up at John, his eyes squinting against the bright morning sun, which was still rising behind John. "I don't know why you want to be with me," he stated, leaving John's question unanswered. He suddenly looked away. "You...you still want...to be with me, right?"

"Of course I still want to be with you, Dave," he said softly, taking another step towards Dave, who didn't try to back away this time. John reached out and took Dave's hands in his, looking down into the younger man's eyes. He could see the fear in them, the genuine fear of John leaving him, and only then did the Chief Resident realize just how much he meant to Dave. "Dave, I'm sorry for yelling at you like that, and saying the things I did."

"And for being a dick?" Dave interrupted, a slight smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"And for being a dick," John clarified, taking the younger man into his arms and hugging him tightly. "I'm sorry, Dave. I didn't mean any of the things I said." He pulled back to look into Dave's eyes once more. "Do you forgive me?"

Dave nodded silently, giving John a closed smile. The two men embraced once more for several minutes, and John briefly considered that his grandmother knowing probably wasn't so bad. Now they wouldn't have to sneak around, and he wouldn't have to keep making up excuses. But most of all he was glad that he was finally being honest with her. And, walking arm and arm with Dave towards John's Jeep, he smiled, knowing he could get through this day with the events of this morning under his belt.

* * *

Now, laughing while sitting inside of the cafeteria with Abby, looking over the newspaper catalogue of apartments available with her, the nurse having figured out that the two men were moving in together, John considered that perhaps Dave and himself together wasn't something that needed to be kept secret. Finally, he could let go of those inhibitions that everyone was talking about, and just be with Dave - more importantly: be happy with Dave. And he didn't have to care who overheard or oversaw anything because no one else cared. Smiling contently, pointing out an apartment to Abby that was absolutely perfect in every way, John couldn't wait to share his epiphany with Dave after work.

-------------------------------------

Let me be the one to make the pain go away

Shed my skin and show a brand new face

You know I just wanna know that you're okay

-------------------------------------

"I want to come out."

Dave didn't even look up. "Of where?"

"The...you know..." John started, wondering what the hell else he could possibly be talking about coming out of. Dave then looked up at him, and John raised his eyebrows in an attempt to get his point across, but Dave only raised his eyebrows as well.

"The bar?" he asked, wondering if perhaps John wanted to go home. Maybe he was feeling uncomfortable around alcohol or something, Dave mused as he glanced at John's soda, knowing John didn't drink since recovering from his drug addiction. It was something that they still hadn't spoken of - John's drug addiction, that is - though both men knew that Dave was aware that it'd happened, even if John had desperately tried to hide that fact from his coworkers. "Do you want to go home?"

"No," John said, exasperation laced with his voice. He sighed, leaning forward in his chair, and Dave followed suit. "You know...the...closet."

"You do?" Dave asked, his eyebrows rising in surprise. Jeeze, this was the last thing Dave had expected, it wasn't a wonder that he was a little slow on the uptake. He smiled broadly, and in a moment of boldness placed his hand on top of John's. "What brought this on?"

"I don't know," John said, shrugging, and even though he'd just announced that he wanted to come out with their relationship, he still felt uncomfortable with Dave's hand on top of his in public, and glanced around surreptitiously. Thankfully, no one was watching or had noticed - yet. But it was time to face these fears, John thought to himself, so it didn't matter who was watching or noticing. "I mean, my Gamma knows and now Abby knows, and they have no problem with it, so why should anyone else? And if they do...fuck 'em."

Dave's smile broadened. "My thoughts exactly. Wow, this is really great."

"Oh," John said, remembering something. He reached inside of his coat pocket, which was hanging over the back of his chair, and pulled out the catalogue of apartments available, handing it to Dave. "I found a place you might like."

Dave took the newspaper, glanced it over, and frowned. "It's really nice, but I can't afford it."

"I can," John replied casually, leaning back in his chair.

"John," Dave said, looking up from the paper. "If we're going to get a place, then we're splitting the rent."

"Yeah," he said, then took a sip of his soda. "Sixty-forty."

"Try fifty-fifty."

"Dave," John said, placing his hand over the younger man's now. "In most...'normal' relationships, the man takes responsibility for most of the finances."

There was a pause before Dave looked up with narrowed eyes. "Are you saying that I'm the woman of this relationship? Because I am *not* the woman of this relationship."

John smiled at Dave, who was looking rather cute miffed. "I think you are."

He crossed his arms over his chest. "I think you're wrong."

"I think you should prove it."

"I think I will."

-------------------------------------

Let me be the one to bring us back from the dead

I will take the blame for everything!

I just wanna help you forget

-------------------------------------

Having left the bar minutes later to go home and do just that, Dave suddenly pinned John to the wall outside in the darkness of the night, kissing him hard and running his tongue over those wonderful lips. John wanted to come out, to tell everyone that he was Dave's and Dave's was his, and there was no better feeling in the world than that. Plus, they were going to move in together into an apartment that was ten times better than the one Dave currently resided in. But first they were going to have sex, lots and lots of hot sex. A group of men passed by, laughing loudly, but Dave didn't even register them. It didn't matter anymore because they were coming out, so he didn't care.

Maybe he should've.

They paused near the two men, one stopping the rest, and as the laughter died down, he asked: "Dave?"

The younger man turned, his head snapping around at the familiar voice to see five faces of his hockey team. Oh, shit. After missing a major game a few nights ago to sleep in with John, they'd been the last people he wanted to see. And upon noting their hard expressions and angry eyes, he could tell he'd been wrong - he didn't want to see them at all.

"Hey, Pete, guys," Dave replied, nodding as he pulled away from John but kept one hand pressed to the wall, leaning against it. He darted his eyes from the glares, scratching the nape of his neck nervously. "What's up?"

"What the fuck is this?" Jake, the tall blonde who played defense, asked as he looked from Dave to John, and then back to Dave. He smiled, though there was no humor in it. "You're a fag!"

"No!" Dave immediately said, not liking how this conversation started or where he thought it was going to inevitably go. "No, I'm...just..."

"The fuck you ain't!" Mike exclaimed, his words slurred from too much drinking. Had they been inside of the bar when Dave and John had? Maybe they'd seen the two sharing a drink and had followed them out. John exchanged worried glances with Dave, wondering just who these guys were. "Kissing another guy, that makes you a fag!"

"So how long you been a faggot?" Pete spat, the obvious leader out of the pack. "Were you a faggot when you showered with us? That why you play hockey, so you can check out naked guys? So you can check *us* out??"

"No, I - "

"What about all those girls?" James asked before Dave could get in another word, recalling all those times Dave had brought chicks with him to the after-game parties, sometimes leaving with more than one. "I thought you liked girls."

"I do like girls," Dave clarified. He sighed with exasperation, ignoring John's worried glances. "Look, let's just go inside and have a beer, and we can talk about this. Okay?"

"I don't drink with faggots," Pete stated with a smirk, and the rest of the men agreed similarly.

"So...what?? You're bisexual or something?" James asked, clearly still trying to figure this out in his drunken stupor.

"Yes, James. I'm bisexual."

"So *this* is why you missed the big game?" Jake asked. "Because you were fucking some faggot??! We lost without our star goalie, you know."

"Yeah, I know we lost the game. I'm sorry," Dave replied as casually as possible, knowing that these five men were the jerks out of the whole team, taking games too seriously for Dave's liking, sometimes deliberately starting fights with opposing teams - even sometimes their own members. "But I got held up at work, and I couldn't..."

"Hanging out with this guy instead, Dave? Admit it! You were too busy to come to the game because you were fucking some guy up the ass," Mike interrupted before Dave could get in another word, taking a step closer to John and glancing over him in disgust. He turned to Pete. "But I thought you had to be a chick to be somebody's bitch? Guess not when you're a faggot."

"Guys, stop it. I told you, I got held up at work," Dave insisted as he moved to step between John and the three men. Doug, who had stayed near Dave thus far, reached out and placed an open palm on the Junior Resident's chest to stop him from doing so. "Doug, get your hand off of me."

"Make me," he replied, shoving Dave hard into the brick wall, nearly knocking the wind out of him.

"Hey," John intervened. *These* were Dave's hockey buddies? How could he stand these guys?? Well, there were only five here, so John supposed that the rest of the team might not be so bad. But as for these guys, he didn't trust their rationality and didn't like the direction this was heading in. "Let's just - "

"Shut up, bitch," James spat, pushing John into the wall as well, though not too roughly.

"Don't you dare touch him," Dave spat angrily, his muscles tensing instinctively and his fists clenching at his sides. "He didn't do anything to you."

"We lost the game because of him," James reminded him, before his eyes traveled over John, his dark gaze laced with perversion. "I can understand though, he *is* one fine-looking bitch."

Loud laughter roared over the five men, but Dave immediately silenced it, saying: "Stop calling him that."

"Why?" Pete asked angrily, standing flush to Dave, deliberately getting in the Junior Resident's face. "What are you going to do about it? Or maybe you're his bitch, and he's gonna take care of me? Are you the one that gets fucked up the ass? Or do you take turns?" He suddenly turned to Mike. "How *do* you figure that out, huh?"

"Beats the hell outta me," Mike stated.

Pete turned back to Dave, now taunting him - and dangerously so; John could tell that Dave was about to snap. "So, Dave? Are you the bitch and this faggot here is the man? You get fucked up the ass? You suck him off, too??"

In an instant, faster than John had ever seen him move, Dave's fist made contact with Pete's nose, a crunching noise resounding through the cold night air. The man stumbled back, holding his blood-spurting nose as he did so. He turned to Dave in surprise, and then charged at him, grabbing his shoulders and throwing him into the wall, the back of Dave's head making solid contact with the brick.

"Dave!" John exclaimed just as the younger man let out a short cry of pain. He attempted to assist the Junior Resident, but Doug kept a firm grip on his arm, Mike standing in his way as well. So he could only watch helplessly as Dave received a sudden punch in his stomach before he could even recover from his head hitting the wall. "Stop it!!"

"Shut up, bitch!" Mike yelled, shoving John back before he could get past them. Dave feebly reached out with a fist, but he was obviously dizzy from his hit to the head, so Pete had enough time to move out of the way, Dave stumbling past him. Jake grabbed the Junior Resident's arm, turning him and pushing him into the wall again, but luckily Dave had enough wits about him to hold out his hands to cushion himself before his face could make contact with the hard brick. "Watch out!"

Pete heard Mike's warning too late, and before he knew it, their star goalie was delivering a solid punch to his stomach, causing Pete to double over, gasping for breath. James grabbed Dave's shoulders, pushing him as Jake tripped him, and the Junior Resident fell to the ground, the wind knocked out of him. Knowing what was coming next, he curled up into a ball to defend himself against the kicks that he soon began to receive.

"Stop it!" John repeated, trying desperately to get past Doug and Mike, who were watching with an intensity in their eyes that told him they wished they could get in on the beating. Drunken with beer and violence and adrenaline, the five men began to laugh, taunting Dave with obscenities and insults.

"What's the matter, Malucci?" James asked, delivering another kick to Dave's abdomen. "Can't get up?"

"Come on, you pussy!" Mike called. "Fight back!! What - fags can't fight back?"

Determined to kick his way through Dave's spine, Jake spat: "Got anything to say for yourself, you little cocksucker??"

"Stop it!" John pleaded again, his voice cracking with fear. "Please, stop it!"

"Faggot," Pete said, and then spat on Dave's face, who flinched when it hit him. Another kick. "You make me sick."

"Stop it!!" John cried, trying to get past the two men so he could help Dave but unable to do so because the two men kept a firm grip on him, disallowing him from getting very far. "Stop it, you're *killing* him!!"

"What's going on out here?" In an instant, everything stopped as all of the men turned to face the owner/bartender of The Game Room, Anthony Pizzi, who was standing in the entranceway. Glancing over what was going on outside of his own bar, he immediately cast his eyes over the five culprits. "You better get the fuck outta here before I call the cops and have you all arrested, do you hear me??" The five men immediately took off into their cars and drove off, hooting with laughter as they did so. Anthony then turned to John. "Do you need an ambulance?"

"Yeah, my friend, he..." John trailed off, turning to Dave, who was still lying on the ground. When he'd turned away from him and to the bartender's interruption, Dave had been struggling. But now, when he'd turned back to him, John's heart was gripped with fear as he saw that he wasn't moving at all.

-------------------------------------

Sometimes I think

Letting go is just like giving up

Sometimes all I think about is falling apart

-------------------------------------
Chapter Eleven - Save You by The She Devil
--------------------------- Chapter Eleven: Save You ---------------------------

I wanted to be like you

I wanted everything

So I tried to be like you

And I got swept away

-------------------------------------

John scrambled to the ground at Dave's side, his heart beating quickly as he checked the younger man's vitals without moving him. Oh, thank God, John thought as he found that Dave's pulse and breath sounds were strong. He made sure to keep Dave's neck as immobilized as possible as he turned him onto his back, calling his name as he did so.

"Dave, wake up," he said, gently shaking his shoulders. Unzipping the Junior Resident's jacket, he pushed the fabric aside and slipped his hands under Dave's shirt, beginning a rib count after knowing that the many kicks he took to the chest must've done some kind of damage. He glanced up after hearing a moan escape the younger man's lips. "Yeah, that's it. Come on, Dave. Wake up."

"John?" he mumbled, opening his eyes just enough to see John groping him painfully in the middle of the sidewalk. His brow furrowed in confusion, the light behind the Chief Resident giving him a supernatural aura. "What are you doing? That hurts."

"Thank God!" John breathed quietly, and then asked, watching Dave carefully: "Can you tell me your name and where you are?"

"Dave." The Junior Resident glanced around, his eyes squinting against the light that was shining from the streetlight into them at this angle. "The Game Room."

"What about the day?"

"Uh...December, uh..."

"It's okay," John assured him, able to tell that Dave was struggling to remember what day it was. "It's the twelfth, but don't worry about it. I think you have a concussion."

"Do you need an ambulance?" the old bartender persisted for the second time, now standing on the sidewalk next to them. Worry flashed over his gentle blue eyes, recognizing John and Dave from the visits they paid to his bar. They were nice kids, they didn't deserve this.

"No," Dave answered, just as John replied: "Yes."

"So which is it?" Anthony asked. He turned to Dave. "You don't look too good, Dave. I think you should listen to John here and let me call one."

"No," Dave said, attempting to sit up but John kept a firm hand on his chest, disabling him from doing so. God, he felt like he'd been ripped apart and put back together the wrong way. Suddenly, he groaned, his hand moving to his head as a wave of nausea passed over him. "Shit. Get off me, John. Help me up."

"No," John immediately replied. "Don't move."

"Are you sure you don't want an ambulance?" Anthony asked, his face wrinkled into a frown.

"Dave, I think Anthony's right," John stated, his eyes displaying his concern. Despite that fact, Dave pushed John's hand away with the little strength that he had, and managed to sit up unsteadily. John turned to the old bartender, not noticing the younger man sitting up just yet. "Call an ambulance. Dave! Lay down! Now."

"No!" Dave insisted, looking up at John with an odd expression in his eyes. "The last thing I need is to go to County strapped to a gurney. I don't even need to go to the hospital! I'm fine...I've taken a few hits in my life, this is nothing."

"Dave, you are going to the hospital. Period, end of discussion."

"Fine, but only if you take me," Dave said. And when he saw John's skeptical expression, he pleaded, urgency laced in his voice: "Please? I don't want to go strapped to a gurney in the back of an ambulance."

John glanced at Dave, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. It was almost as if Dave was afraid...but not afraid of going to the hospital, he agreed to going...but only if John would take him. Why? He kept mentioning being "strapped" to a gurney. Was he...was he afraid of being restrained? Leaning close to the younger man, he whispered into Dave's ear: "Dave, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," the younger man said, but then insisted: "I just want you to take me to the hospital. Just you...no ambulance, no big deal."

"Why can't the ambulance take you?" He could immediately tell Dave was searching his mind for a liable answer - a liable *lie*. "Dave, are you...afraid?"

"What?? No...no..." Dave would've shaken his head furiously at the intention had he not been very dizzy as it was. He glanced up at John with pleading eyes. "I just...can you please, just do this one thing for me, John? Don't ask me why, please don't ask me why. Just take me to the ER yourself...please?"

"Fine." John sighed, his brow furrowed in slight puzzlement. Turning to Anthony, he apologized: "Sorry to bother you, Anthony. But I'll make sure Dave gets to the hospital all right. Thanks, anyway."

"No problem," he replied, heading back up the stairs after making sure John got Dave standing and somewhat steady. He turned back once more, watching the young men move awkwardly towards John's Jeep, which was parked a few yards away. "Be careful!"

-------------------------------------

I didn't know that it was so cold

And you needed someone

To show you the way

So I took your hand and we figured out

That when the tide comes

I'd take you away

-------------------------------------

"I need a gurney!" John called to no one in specific as he entered the emergency room, one of Dave's arms slung over his shoulders, John's own arm wrapped around the younger man's waist, supporting his weight. He turned to the first doctor that he saw: Kerry Weaver. And she was fast approaching after hearing the urgency in John's voice. "Dr. Weaver, Dave's hurt. I need a gurney."

"I don't need a gurney," Dave protested, shaking his head, which was throbbing with a dull ache that started at the base of his skull and radiated outwards. Not to mention the other bruises on every part of his body that were each punctuated with pain. He sighed, hating all of the drama he knew he was about to receive.

And thus it began.

"What happened??" Kerry asked, her eyes wide and full of worry as she took one of Dave's arms over her own shoulders.

"Kerry, let me," they heard, and Dave's stomach dropped as he recognized the voice of one Croatian doctor. Kerry moved and Luka bent down a little to accommodate to Dave's height, and together he and John moved the younger man to an empty exam room, the Chief of the ED leading the way.

Once inside, Dave sat heavily on the empty exam bed, grateful because he wasn't sure how much longer he would've been able to stand. Kerry turned back to the two men now, her previous question having been left unanswered. "What happened to you two?"

"We got jumped outside of a bar," John stated, who was for some reason avoiding all eye contact with Dave.

"Why wasn't he immobilized?" Luka asked, his question aimed at John, his tone sounding mildly angry and slightly annoyed.

"He refused," John said, though he knew how lame it sounded.

"He refused?" Luka repeated mockingly. "Carter, you're a doctor for God's sake. You know better!"

"Hey!" Dave interrupted, and the two men looked at him. "I'm in the room, for Christ's sake, you can ask me. Yes, Luka, I refused. I wouldn't let him immobilize him, and I wouldn't let him call an ambulance either. So if anyone has any problem with that, yell at me...talk to me..."

"Well, you're being immobilized now," Dr. Weaver interjected with finality in her voice as she moved towards a nearby supply closet.

"The hell I am," Dave declared as he began to stand.

"Dr. Malucci!" she said, as Luka placed a firm hand on his shoulder to keep him seated.

"Don't touch me," he snapped, brushing Luka's hand away, but immediately regretting doing such when he saw the clear worry in the older man's eyes. He quickly turned away, towards Dr. Weaver, who seemed to be the only person he could look at right now. "Listen, I agreed to be checked out and examined, but I am *not* being immobilized. And if you try to, I swear to God I'll walk right out of this ER. That's the deal, take it or leave it!"

"Calm down Dave," John said softly, somewhat exasperatedly.

"Dave!" Dr. Weaver exclaimed. "You need to be immobilized, and that's that. Now you can lay there and behave or you can act like a child, just like how you are now. Hell, leave if you want to, but in your condition, I doubt you would make it very far."

God, she could be such a bitch sometimes, Dave thought as she began to adjust the cervical collar so it could fit him. But he was off duty and wasn't going to take any of her shit, especially now. "Dr. Weaver, I will fight all of you if I have to, and I don't want to hurt anyone...but I can't - I *won't* be tied down. I'm not a crazy person and I'm not an animal, and I *will* sign out AMA if I have to."

"You have a head injury," she simply said, as she kept fiddling with that Goddamned collar. "Which clearly means that you are not in the right state of mind to make that decision yourself."

"That's bullshit!" Dave hissed, glancing at Luka and John for help, who both seemed to find the floor more interesting right now.

"Dave," Dr. Weaver started exasperatedly, though she was clearly concerned by Dave's current mental state...he seemed so out of control. "We just want to make sure that we don't make your injuries worse. You know that, you're a doctor, you would do the same for your patients."

"No! I want your word that you won't tie me down, or I'm outta here!" he persisted urgently, and when they were silent, he began to stand but fell back as a wave of dizziness hit him.

"Okay, Dave, okay," Dr. Weaver said with a sigh after watching him attempt to stand. "You have my word. Now will you please just sit down and stop moving all over the place?"

John glanced at Dave with concern, and although the younger man wouldn't meet his gaze, he nodded in agreement before sitting down heavily and sighing tiredly.

"Now what happened tonight?" She glanced at him, waiting for him to elaborate as she began to take Dave's vitals, starting first with his heartbeat and breath sounds, and then his blood pressure. As John began to speak, she used her penlight to check Dave's pupils and make sure they were equal, round and reactive to light, which they were. "We'd just left the bar, and these guys approached us."

"Did you know them?" Luka asked, his arms crossed over his chest as he stood nearby, his expression hard and unreadable. Meanwhile, Kerry slipped her hands on either side of Dave's face upon noting that he had a black left eye, and began to use her thumbs to press down on his cheekbones and the bones surrounding his eyes.

"No," John quickly replied. Too much would be compromised if the police got to the guys that did this. They could tell them what they saw - Dave and John kissing against the brick wall - and then the police, in turn, could tell Kerry because she was the treating physician. At least he thought so, because he wasn't that keen on law, but he didn't want to take that chance. And after what had happened, he knew that the hospital getting wind of it definitely wasn't a possibility. Who knew how badly others could take it if they came out? John then continued with his story: "They didn't really hurt me, but they sure did a number on Dave. He was out for at least a few minutes."

"Ow..." Dave said, flinching as Kerry pressed on the tender flesh of his bruised eye. He pulled away, wrapping his hand around her wrist and stopping her from poking and prodding his face any longer. "Okay, stop it! I think we've established that it hurts."

"You know I'm just checking to make sure you didn't break any bones," Kerry stated, the worry still visible in her gentle eyes.

"Did they mug you?" Luka now asked, having taken it upon himself to play detective.

"No," John answered, Dave desperately trying to make eye contact with him now that Kerry had left his face alone. Why was John lying about the fact that Dave knew their attackers?

"Then why would they do this? If you didn't know them?" Kerry piped up, holding out Dave's arms and checking them for bruising. There was a clear print of a boot on his upper arm, amongst other bruises, but no lacerations. She looked up at Dave. "Take off your shirt."

"What?" Dave asked, clear surprise on his face. He glanced at John apprehensively, before looking back to the Chief. "Why? I mean...I didn't think I was your type, Chief," he joked nervously, though he tried to cover it up with a sly smile. Perhaps if he pissed her off enough, she would leave him alone.

"Malucci," she began, pointing her finger at him. "Don't push me. I let you have your way when it came to being immobilized, but another comment like that and I'm going to assume that you have a severe head injury, which necessitates you being tied to that bed. Now take off your shirt."

"Why, Chief? I'm fine." His voice was pleading now, and even though he knew it he couldn't seem to hide the pain no matter how hard he tried. "My chest doesn't hurt," he lied quickly.

"I just want to check out your chest and back, see if any ribs are broken and how much bruising there is," she replied, not noticing Dave's sudden nervousness. He glanced at John again, and only then did the Chief Resident realize why Dave hadn't wanted to take an ambulance to the hospital: to avoid this. He didn't want to take off his shirt or any of his clothes, because he didn't want anyone to see his scars. He didn't want to hear questions and he certainly didn't want to give answers. "Dave, just take off your shirt. And then I'm going to want a CT-scan of your head, you probably have a concussion. I also want a C-spine."

"Uh, John did a rib count before," Dave said hastily, looking at the older man, hoping that he got the message. God, if the Chief got his shirt off she'd see all those nasty scars. Perhaps she might ignore it, pretend that she didn't see it - but she would. She'd see them and then he'd be "different" in her eyes, he would be weak, and there was nothing he could do to change that. "You don't have to do one, right? Can't I just get a head-CT and go home?"

"Dave, please just work with me here, okay?" she asked with exasperation evident in her voice. Her eyes suddenly narrowed, and she glanced at John. "Wait, you said you didn't know them? But they didn't rob you. Why did they jump you, then?"

"They thought we were...together," John said, once again avoiding eye contact with Dave and Luka, both who he could see watching him in his peripheral vision. The Attending moved his gaze from the Chief Resident and to the Junior Resident, who met his eyes for only a moment before shifting them back to John.

"But you were together," Kerry said, slightly puzzled. "You went to the bar together, didn't you?"

"No, I mean as in...dating," he replied tentatively. She narrowed her eyes, glancing at Dave, whose expression was almost one of disbelief - but not at the notion of John and Dave dating, but at the fact that John was lying. He'd just said that he wanted to come out, and now he'd changed his mind? And what he was thinking was evident in his expression, and John was afraid that Kerry was going to pick up on it, so - to take her attention away from Dave - the Chief Resident gave out a small laugh as he said: "Can you believe that? I mean, we weren't even doing anything to make them think that. And...me and *Dave*?? I think I have better taste than that!"

"Imagine that," the Junior Resident spat. Dave looked away, his smile not sharing the humor that John was, but showing his incredulity. The Chief Resident might as well have just slapped him in the face, because it sure as hell would've been a lot less painful. Glancing up at John, he held up his hands, motioning Kerry to stop. "You know what? I don't need this."

"What do you mean?" Kerry asked, but John knew that Dave wasn't speaking of his examination. "Dave, you can't go home."

"Oh, but I am," he stated, standing on unsteady feet. He took a moment to gain his bearings before moving past the protesting Kerry and John, storming out of the exam room, his expression a mix of pain, anger and hurt, as he fought to hold back tears.

"Dave, wait," Luka called, fixing John with a well-deserved glare before all three left the room and after the injured man.

"Dave, I still need to get a head-CT and a C-spine!" Kerry called, just as John said: "Who's going to drive you home??"

"I'm fine and I'll take the El!" Dave said, and even as he said that, he knew that the El wasn't very safe at this time of night, and he had to pause briefly in a bout of dizziness. Taking a deep breath, he began walking again, but once again stopped, this time unable to continue. He fell forward, reaching out blindly for something, but his fingers only found air and he hit the floor hard, the impact knocking the wind out of him. The last thing he heard was the three doctors screaming before his world was once more enveloped in black.

-------------------------------------

If you want to

I can save you

I can take you away from here

So lonely inside

So busy out there

And all you wanted

Was somebody who cares

-------------------------------------

"Okay," Kerry said with a sigh, her hand to her forehead as she tried to think. Dave had just collapsed in the middle of her ER, and after John, Luka and Malik had gotten him onto a gurney, they'd transferred him back into the exam room, where he was now lying, hooked up to an IV and an EKG. "I want a head-CT, C-spine, CBC, urine, glucose. And type and cross - just in case."

"He's A+," John said quietly, knowing that surgery probably wouldn't be necessary for the concussion that he had, but the simple precaution of having type-specific blood on hand just in case startled him.

"Malik, get a suture kit from Sutures, please? He's going to need it for that cut on his forehead," Kerry said, speaking of the laceration that Dave had managed to obtain when he'd collapsed, the same one that Luka was now irrigating and cleaning. She glanced down at Dave then, as Malik was leaving the room and leaving the four doctors alone. "John, can you help me get him into a gown?"

"Luka and I can do it," he immediately said, causing Kerry to glance up at him with narrowed eyes. He met her eye, but quickly looked away to Luka, who was watching with interest but not offering an opinion. "I mean, I'm sure you've got patients waiting..."

"It's fine. And I'm sure you're going to need help," she replied, pulling a gown from the closet nearby. She moved back to the exam bed, opening up the gown and placing it to the side. She picked up a pair of scissors from a nearby tray table, holding them up. "Would you like to do the honors, or shall I?"

"Uh..." John said, searching his mind quickly for an excuse as to why Kerry couldn't take off his clothes. He glanced at Luka for help, who had to know why he didn't want Kerry to see Dave without his clothes, but the bastard just stood there, cleaning Dave's wound. Turning back to the Chief, he saw her looking up at him expectantly, an eyebrow cocked because of his sudden strange behavior. "You can't," was all he could think of saying. Yeah, good one, John, he thought to himself. That'll make her stop.

"Why not?" she asked, tossing him a puzzling glance.

"Because, uh..." he stammered. "Because...that's Dave's favorite shirt. I think he said it was his lucky shirt or something..."

"John, you're babbling. Now what the hell is going on?"

"Dave has a skin condition."

"What kind of a skin condition?" she immediately asked.

Shit! "Uh...a rash, or...something. He wouldn't go into specifics. I saw it the other day, it's really bad. He'd be very embarrassed if either of you saw it."

"Trust me, John," she said, a wry smile on her face as she reached for Dave. "I've been working in the ER for about 20 years. Luka for probably just as long. We've seen worse."

"Don't touch him!" he suddenly exclaimed, visibly startling Dr. Weaver, who immediately pulled her hands away from the Junior Resident's unconscious form. Luka followed suit, but his slight hesitation didn't register in her mind. "It's contagious!"

"I'll wear gloves," she stated, exasperation in her voice as she reached for a nearby box of the standard latex gloves that were kept in almost every room of the hospital. She tossed a pair to John, who hastily caught them, accidentally dropping one on the floor. He picked it up quickly, standing to see Dr. Weaver gloved and waiting for him.

"Dr. Weaver, I really don't think he wants you to see him without his clothes," John said evenly. "He'll be really embarrassed, and he'll hate me for letting you take his clothes off."

"John," she said, clear annoyance in her voice. "Either you cut the damned shirt off or I will. This doesn't have to be difficult, so don't make it as such."

"Okay..." John said tentatively, knowing that when Dave found out that Kerry had seen him without clothes he was going to be upset. He reached for Dave ungloved, causing Kerry to toss him a puzzling glance.

"You just said he has a contagious rash." Pause. "There is no rash, is there?"

He searched his mind quickly, but couldn't come up with any other excuses as to why she couldn't undress him. What was he supposed to say without giving the scars away? And Luka certainly wasn't helping. "Can't you just trust me, Dr. Weaver?"

"John." She put her hand to her head, rubbing her temple with a sigh of exasperation and slight annoyance. "Please, just help me get him into a gown or Luka and I will to do it."

She glanced down at Dr. Malucci, who appeared to be sleeping though he was unconscious. So it may have been the wrong reason to want to get Dave into a gown and order tests, but the Chief Resident had piqued her interest, and she had to admit that she was a bit curious to find out what the big deal was.

With a sigh, John began to assist Dr. Weaver. He leaned down and began to cut away at Dave's shirt. Kerry was standing to Dave's left, slightly behind him now and when she pulled aside Dave's now torn shirt she gasped audibly, her eyes widening - but not because of the bruising from the attack, but because of the scars across his chest and stomach. Luka, however, was not surprised, but she didn't think to ask why. All she could do right now was see those horrible scars. Had Dave been in some sort of accident previously, causing him to obtain the angry puckering in his flesh? She didn't dare to think that it could've been because of something - or someone - else.

"Do you know where these are from?" she asked, glancing at John, knowing the two had recently become close friends. John looked up at her, his eyes telling her everything even though he shook his head. She looked back down at the Junior Resident's body, knowing those gashes couldn't have come from any accident. She sighed, continuing in her task, realizing now why Dave had been so intent on keeping his clothes on earlier, and why John had tried to convince her of the same. "Roll him over, John," she said softly.

"Why?"

"I need to check his back," she replied.

"They're there too, Dr. Weaver," he said quietly, and then added, looking up at her: "Only worse."

"I need to check for bruising and lacerations," she said evenly. "Luka, would you please keep his neck immobilized?"

Silently, and with great care, John rolled Dave onto his side while Luka immobilized his head. The Chief Resident watched as Dr. Weaver gently examined Dave, running her fingertips lightly over the three long scars that were more prominent than the others, her expression a mixture of horror and compassion. "God," she breathed quietly, shaking her head sadly. "Okay...turn him over on his back again."

Again, John did as he was told, knowing that if Dave ever found out about this he would die. He just hoped that he'd be able to convince Dr. Weaver not to mention anything, and though now Luka was keeping silent, John just hoped he'd *stay* silent. He was shaken from his thoughts when he saw Dr. Weaver reach down and begin to unbuckle Dave's belt.

"Dr. Weaver..." John began, as he placed his hand on top of hers to stop her. She looked up at him, his eyes pleading. Dave would be devastated if he found out Dr. Weaver had seen all those other scars - the ones on his most private parts. And John would not let that happen - he had to protect him. "Dave doesn't even like the fact that *I* know, and I'm one of his closest friends. Please let me finish this. And don't tell him that you've seen what you have."

"There's more, isn't there?" Kerry asked softly.

"Dr. Weaver, please let me finish." And when he saw her hesitate, he said, quietly: "He doesn't want you to treat him differently or take pity on him. Believe it or not, Dr. Weaver, he respects you more than anyone and he cares about what you think of him. He would hate that you've seen as much as you have already. Most of all, he's not ready to...to tell you what..." He trailed off, but then: "Please, Kerry. Let me do this."

Kerry nodded, glancing at the unconscious doctor lying on the exam bed, deep prominent scars across his chest that she could only guess when and how he had received them. She watched John for a moment begin to finish undressing the young man before letting out a shaky breath that she hadn't realized she'd been holding. Backing away from the bed and turning towards the door, only then did the Chief of the ED realize that there was more to Dave than she would ever know. Perhaps she didn't even really want to know, in fear of just what she might find: Who Dr. Dave Malucci really was.

-------------------------------------

I'm sinking slowly

So hurry hold me

Your hand is all I have to keep me hanging on

Please can you tell me

So I can finally see

Where you go when you're gone

-------------------------------------

"You shouldn't have said that," Luka suddenly said, once Dr. Weaver was gone and out of earshot. The two senior staff members were undressing Dave still, the gown lying nearby and waiting for them to finish. "About having better taste in a date than Dave, as if he isn't good enough for you. "

"Oh, now he speaks?" John asked incredulously, looking up at the older man with disgust. "But before, when I needed - when *Dave* needed you to cover for him, you kept your mouth shut."

"You were doing fine on your own," Luka sneered, gathering up Dave's discarded clothes and placing them in a hospital bag. "Dave is not my problem anymore. I don't need to 'cover' for him."

"That's all he is to you? A problem?" John asked, glancing down at the Junior Resident, taking in all of the bruises and scars with a hitch in his breath. He looked back up at Luka, who had left the question unanswered. "Dave is your coworker. He could even be your friend if you wanted him to be. And I know he even used to be more than a friend, so don't bother to deny it. And you wouldn't be here if you really didn't care, so don't give me that bullshit. Why didn't you help me?" Luka remained silent still, so then John tried: "Is that it? Because it was *me* asking for help? How selfish are you??"

Luka finally looked up at him, something in his eyes that John couldn't read. He looked back to the Junior Resident's motionless form, glancing over the several scars. "He said they were from an accident," Luka said quietly. "A car accident. But when I'd asked him if any one else had been hurt, he said he'd been the only one in the car. And I know for a fact he's never driven one in his life. But I knew not to push it..."

There was a pause, and then the Attending glanced up, shrugging. And only now, when John saw the look in Luka's eyes, did he realize why Luka hadn't protested Dr. Weaver's questioning. It was because he wanted to know, because during their relationship Dave hadn't said a word, might've even refused to. And only now could John see how hurt and regretful Luka was because of the fact that he knew little about Dave, probably mostly because it was Luka's own fault.

"I think you have everything under control," the Attending said, turning towards the door. "Please, tell me how the exam goes."

"Right," John said as Luka left the room quietly, mostly because he could think of nothing else to say.

Sighing, finishing cleaning Dave's open wounds and making sure the bruising wasn't masking other damage, John was almost surprised to find himself holding back tears as his eyes kept straying to different scars. Sometimes he wished that Dave would tell him what had happened, when and how he'd obtained every scar because John wanted to know everything about him. But most of the time, after witnessing Dave waking up screaming some nights, after witnessing the anger Dave possessed, after witnessing the pure *sadness* Dave was consumed by, he was glad that he didn't know.

God, he thought to himself. Who was really the selfish one: Luka or him?

-------------------------------------

If you want to

I can save you

I can take you away from here

So lonely inside

So busy out there

And all you wanted

Was somebody who cares

-------------------------------------

Darkness.

Wet Darkness.

But how could darkness be wet?

It didn't matter, because the wet darkness was comforting, a vast contrast to the blinding brightness that came with awakening. But David Malucci knew that he couldn't stay in a cataleptic state for his whole life no matter how comforting it was, so he forced himself to open his eyes, squinting against the fluorescent lights above him until his they adjusted and he could fully open them.

Glancing around, he noted that he was in the same exam room that he had been...how long ago? He wasn't sure because he hadn't worn his watch to the bar, and his head hurt too much to allow him to focus on the clock on the wall. Plus, there was no window in the room, so he would just have to wait until someone came in to ask him or her. Suddenly aware that his headache had not dissipated any, he groaned, closing his eyes and moving a hand to his head.

"God..." he muttered, trying to remember what had happened before he'd gone unconscious again. John had brought him to the hospital, Kerry had been giving him an examination, she'd been asking questions...John had insulted him - he could remember that *very* clearly - but then what? Everything was so fuzzy. He...he could remember trying to leave, and...he must've gone out sometime after that. But how? Had he just collapsed, right in the middle of the ER? Closing his eyes, he groaned again, this time in frustration at not being able to remember what had happened.

What had happened while he slept, he wondered silently to himself, trying to find the most comfortable position for his hurting body. They'd probably done that head-CT that Weaver had wanted, a C-spine too, along with other x-rays to make sure none of his bones were broken. They'd probably also run all sorts of tests: CBC, urine, glucose, may have even done a type-and-cross.

"Oh, God!" Dave exclaimed, his eyes snapping open as he sat up, a wave of dizziness immediately overwhelming him. He put his hand to his head, closing his eyes and breathing evenly until it passed, and then picked up the chart hanging over the side of his bed. Flipping furiously through it, his eyes skimmed over the page that showed the doctors orders, trying to find a specific order that would spell out his doom.

That order was a tox screen. If Weaver or anyone had ordered a tox screen, they would've surely seen the foreign drugs in his system: clonazepam and dextroamphetamine, more commonly known as Klonopin and Dexedrine. They were two drugs that were usually used to treat seizures and narcolepsy, though Dave had never experienced either of those conditions. And it would surely raise some eyebrows if anyone saw those drugs in his results.

He searched the chart front to back, double-checked, and then checked again to make sure he hadn't missed it. But it seemed as if no tox screen had been ordered. After putting the chart back, Dave leaned back on his exam bed and closed his eyes, sighing with relief. Thank God no one had decided to order that test, or else he would've been in deep shit.

"Good morning, Dr. Malucci." He opened one eye, seeing Kerry Weaver wearing a smirk as she picked up his chart and flipped through it. Closing his eye again, his brow furrowed as he tried to make his pounding *body*ache go away by sheer will. "It's good to see you've decided to join us. I know you like your sleep, but we were beginning to wonder if you were ever going to wake up."

"We. Where *is* John?" Dave asked, daring to open his eyes as he watched Kerry move to the head of the bed, her expression one of concern after seeing his grimace. She began shuffling through the medicine cabinet, pulling out a vial of morphine for his aches and pains. Before she could answer, Dave said: "Wait. Morning? I was out for that long?"

"Yes, you were," Kerry answered, injecting the morphine into Dave's IV line, then disposing of the needle in the proper bin. She turned back to Dave, leaning her forearms against the raised rail of the exam bed. "John has a half-shift, but he's been checking in on you sporadically. He'll be in later, but I think he's in the middle of a trauma now."

"I can't go home then?" Dave asked, dreading the fact that he'd have to spend the whole day in the hospital.

"Not on my shift," Kerry confirmed. "And lucky for you, I'm pulling a double."

"Great," Dave said with a sigh, fingering the patterned gown that he was wearing. Wait. Gown? When had he changed into a gown? He hadn't. Someone had undressed him, which meant that that someone *had* to have seen his scars. But who was it? John, or...? He glanced up at Dr. Weaver, who was charting the given painkiller. "Where are my clothes?"

"Your clothes?" She glanced up at him from over the rim of her glasses, her eyes seeming to search his. Shit, he'd sounded way too panicky than he'd intended, and now he was almost sure she'd noticed. Thankfully, her intense gaze shifted from him and to the portable nightstand next to the exam bed. "I'm not sure. Maybe John put them in here."

"J - uh...Carter got me into a gown?" Dave asked, quickly correcting himself. He never called John by his first name at work. She nodded, opening the biggest drawer and showing him that indeed his clothes were inside, stuffed into a resealable plastic bag with the hospital's name emblazoned on it. He smiled then, covering up his momentary loss of composure with a joke. "Good. I mean, not that I have anything to even be *remotely* ashamed of - actually I'm quite blessed. But my boss seeing me naked?"

She smiled, her eyes not portraying the same humor, and he briefly wondered if she was lying to him. But the mere thought of her seeing all of his ugly scars made his chest tighten, so he chose to believe that she was telling him the truth. At that moment, John entered the room, a welcomed distraction from the many thoughts that were swirling around in Dave's head. The Chief Resident smiled cordially, clear warmth in his eyes, but Dave simply offered a tight smile, clear resentment in his own eyes.

"I'm glad you're awake," John said, noting Dave's bitter smile. He sighed inwardly, now knowing that Dave was still upset with him for the comments he had made earlier. He attempted to smooth things over, asking casually: "How do you feel?"

"Fine," he replied, sarcasm dripping from the word and also from the smile he was giving John. "Thanks for asking."

"Dr. Weaver, would you mind if I had a moment alone with Dave?" John asked, though he didn't take his eyes off of Dave.

"We have nothing to talk about," Dave spat.

"John, maybe we should let Dave get some rest," Dr. Weaver said gently, sensing the obvious tension between the two men and not wanting anything to upset Dave in the current condition he was in.

"Dave..." John said, exasperation laced in his tone though his expression was pleading.

The Junior Resident sighed and rolled his eyes. "It's okay, Chief."

"Are you sure?" she asked, wondering why Dave was upset with John in the first place. Perhaps something had happened at the bar earlier, she mused as Dave nodded, answering her question. "Okay. I'll check in on you later."

"It's nice to know that at least somebody cares," Dave said, his expression hard as he pinned John to the wall with his stare. Kerry Weaver turned slightly at the comment, wanting to see John's expression but unable to from her position in the room. She left quickly then, knowing when a fight was about to ensue. She just hoped either man didn't say something they'd regret later - she knew how they could both get.

"How can you say that?" John immediately asked once Kerry was out of earshot, the door closing behind her.

"I don't even want to talk to you," Dave stated, wishing that he could turn onto his side so his back was facing John but the pain from his bruised ribs disabled him from doing so. The back of the bed was slightly raised so that he was in a somewhat upright position, so instead he pushed himself up a little - trying to hide his grimace as he did so - and crossed his arms over his chest, turning his head away from John to face a poster on the wall that read: Do I dare disturb the universe?

"Dave, I had to say that," John said, desperation in his voice.

"Why? And you didn't have to say something so shitty about me, you know," Dave said, still facing the poster, the picture displaying a lone man walking on a beach, a sunset next to him but stars farther off in the sky. "That was really rotten, John."

"Dave, I'm sorry," he said firmly, wishing that the younger man would look at him. "But I told you: I had to say that. I didn't want Kerry to know that we *were* together."

"John, you'd just said at the bar that you wanted to come out," Dave reminded him, turning to face him again, his expression one of disbelief and anger. "Why did you suddenly change your mind?"

"Were you there when you got the crap beat out of you??" John asked, holding his hands out in a pleading gesture. He had to make Dave see his point. "Dave, next time you could get killed. *I* could get killed! And if that goes along with coming out, then I'm not going to take that chance."

"John..." Dave said, wishing that he could make the older man understand that this had been some freak thing, that it wouldn't happen again - even if it could. And he damned those fucking bastards on his hockey team that had jumped him for scaring John back into the proverbial closet. "Look, just because it happened doesn't mean that it's always going to happen. There are plenty of people that have come out and nothing happened to them. We're not being hunted, we just have to be careful."

"Dave, I can't," he said, his expression beseeching, as were his words. Dave looked away, his shoulders slumped in defeat and his heart broken in two. John had made his *year* when he'd told Dave he wanted to come out to everyone at work and outside of it. He wanted everyone to know that Dave was his, and he was Dave's. But now he wanted to pretend that they were just friends, he wanted to live a lie. How could he deal with that? Dave wasn't sure if he could - and he wasn't sure how much longer he would. "I'm sorry, Dave, but I just can't."

"Get out."

"What?" John asked, genuinely surprised at Dave's words. He'd expected an argument, or a snide remark even, anything but that command.

But Dave was too tired to deal with this anymore. So he just repeated himself, more firmly this time: "I said: Get out. Just get out, John."

"Dave, please...I..."

"John," Dave said, his voice shaking. "If you don't leave this room, I will. So get the fuck out!!"

"Fine." He sighed, turning and heading for the door, thinking that maybe later he could try to get Dave to understand where he was coming from. "I'll come back later to take you home."

"Don't bother, I won't be here," Dave spat.

Exiting Dave's room, John sighed as he scrubbed his face with one hand, closing the door behind him with the other. His back was slightly aching from when he'd been pushed into the brick wall at the bar by one of the hockey team's members, but he stopped himself from rubbing it, not wanting anyone to see and then worry about him. He could ice it when he got home, and then he'd be fine.

"John?" he heard from next to him, and turned to see Abby rushing towards him, a worried expression on her face. "I just heard what happened when I got on about two seconds ago. Are you okay? How's Dave? Is he going to be okay??"

"I'm fine," he clarified, and then indicated the room behind him. "Dave's a little worse for wear, but he'll be fine too. Dr. Weaver's making him stay the day, so you can go inside if you want."

"What about you?" Abby asked as she began to head inside. "Are you coming?"

"Uh...no," he replied. "Dave's kinda...mad at me."

"What'd you do?" she immediately asked.

"I'll tell you some other time," he replied, then stuck a thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the exit. "Right now, I really have to go."

And it was true. He knew he had to leave. During his whole shift he'd been making phone calls to certain people, pulling strings and making arrangements, but now that it was the end of his shift, he'd have time to complete his plans. After saying a quick goodbye to Abby, he moved hurriedly to the clock-out, then signed out at Admin and grabbed his stuff, rushing from the hospital. Because despite the fact that he'd used all of his time that he hadn't been seeing patients to work on his plans, he still had a lot of work to do, and not a lot of time to do it in. John just hoped that this would be enough to make Dave forgive him.

-------------------------------------

All you wanted was somebody who cares

If you need me you know I'll be there

-------------------------------------

When Abby entered the windowless exam room Dave was resting in, she was almost surprised to find it completely dark. This was partly due to the fact that it was morning and the sun was shining outside, but mostly due to the fact that Dave had just spent about ten hours in darkness because he'd been unconscious. She knew she would've wanted some kind of light after that.

"Hey, Dave," she said, and he opened his eyes and tossed her a small smile, obviously still tired after the night he'd had. And the morphine he'd received from Dr. Weaver probably didn't help any, the nurse noted dryly as she glanced over his chart. "How are you feeling?"

"A little worse for wear," he replied, shrugging, "but I'll be okay, I guess. I'm a little worried about my pride, but I think it'll be okay too. "

She grinned, placing his chart back as she said, "John just said the same thing. That you're a little worse for wear, I mean."

"Let's not even talk about him," Dave said, and then let out a sigh of pure despair.

"Okay..." she said tentatively. "What do you want to talk about, then?"

"Morphine," Dave slurred, blinking slowly and smiling lazily.

"Morphine?" she repeated, slightly puzzled.

"Yes. What a beautiful drug, Abby. I mean...I don't feel any pain. Whoever invented morphine, or discovered it, or whatever, deserves a fucking award. What a great drug!"

Abby smiled at Dave, who was obviously stoned out of his mind because of the painkillers. "Well, if you don't feel anything, then why are you so upset with John? What exactly happened last night?" Abby asked as she sat down on the stool next to his bed, watching him as he relayed the night's events to her. She glanced away in thought as he finished, and then let out a sigh as she turned to him. "Do you want my unbiased opinion, or my biased one?"

"Let's try your unbiased opinion first."

"Okay," she said, nodding as she tried to think of the best way to put this. "I know it must've been really great when John told you he wanted to come out. And I know you're upset that he changed his mind just as suddenly, but you have to have to understand something. John's. Never. Done this. Before," she stated firmly, as if the sentence was chopped up into four.

"Abby..."

"Wait. I'm not done," she interrupted, and then took a deep breath. "Look. What happened last night usually doesn't happen, and it probably won't happen again. I know that, and you know that, but John doesn't know that. It's because he's scared. It was very scary for him to see that happen to you, and I think that's because he cares about you a lot. He doesn't want to see that happen to you again. He just needs a little time, Dave, you just have to be patient."

Dave looked back to the poster again, crossing his arms over his chest. It was hard for him to take in what Abby had just said, mostly because she was absolutely right. In time, things would be better. Just a few weeks ago he could've sworn he didn't have a chance with John, but now they were moving in together, he thought. That had changed over time, for the better. Things always got better with time. But that didn't mean he had to admit she was right. But he turned back to her, his look telling her that he understood, even if he wasn't going to say so.

"So, what's your biased opinion?" he asked.

"After what he said to Weaver about you?" she said, as if it were a question. "John's a big jerk."

"Thanks, Abby."

"No problem, Dave."

-------------------------------------

If you want to

I can save you

I can take you away from here

So lonely inside

So busy out there

And all you wanted

Was somebody who cares

-------------------------------------

Hours later, Dave Malucci sat next to said jerk in his Jeep, his arms crossed over his chest as he watched the houses go by outside the car window. He hadn't spoken to John unless necessary since he'd been discharged from the hospital, and hadn't even let the Chief Resident help him into the Jeep, a decision Dave had immediately regretted: that had been one painful experience, even with the painkillers he'd had during the course of the day.

Suddenly aware of a dull ache in his left side, Dave began to rub at it, which he soon found to be a terrible mistake when his muscle spasmed painfully. A yelp escaped his lips as he involuntarily sat up straight in surprise.

"Are you okay?" was instantly heard from the driver's side of the vehicle.

"I'm fine!" he snapped, leaning back in his seat. The Jerk let out a sigh, which Dave ignored as they approached the exit on the highway that led to Dave's apartment building. At least when he got home he'd be able to go to bed, take more pain medication and forget about this shitty day for a while. Unless, of course, he got sucked into a shitty nightmare. Acutely aware that John wasn't slowing down or turning off, Dave sat up once more in his seat and turned slightly as he watched the exit go by. Leaning back again, he said: "Where are we going?"

"Home."

"Well, you just passed the exit."

"I know."

"You know a shortcut or something that I don't?" he asked, only half-sarcastic as he did so.

"Or something," John said, smirking. Dave narrowed his eyes, opening his mouth to say something more but promptly closing it, deciding that it wasn't worth it. So he watched the houses and stores go by as they traveled farther and farther away from his apartment building. They were soon on the west side of Chicago, the nice side of Chicago, and Dave was beginning to get antsy as he realized they weren't going home and tried to figure out where exactly they *were* going. Sensing this, John placed his hand on Dave's knee, saying: "Don't worry. We're almost there."

"Easy for you to say," Dave mumbled in reply, shifting himself in his seat so John's hand fell away from his leg. "You're not the one in pain."

John turned toward him with his brow furrowed. "You're in pain?"

"What do you think, John?" Dave snapped. "Yes, I'm in pain! I just got the living shit beat out of me last night, you think I'm in the best shape of my life?? Now just take me home, and stop dicking around! I'm not in the mood for any more of your shit."

"We're almost there," John said softly.

"The hell we are," Dave mumbled. They turned onto a road, leading them to a neighborhood of homes and apartment buildings, one where everything was clean and quiet; crime certainly didn't occur here, as opposed to his own neighborhood. The Jeep slowed to a stop at the curbside of this neighborhood, and Dave glanced around before turning to John. "Where are we?"

"Home," he said with a smile, and then indicated the apartment building next to them with a nod of his head.

"You didn't," Dave said with narrowed eyes, turning to inspect the building next to them. He immediately recognized the graffiti-free red brick building as the one John had showed him in the catalogue the night before - the one that he'd specifically stated he couldn't afford. Turning back to his companion, he watched as the older man fished a set of keys out of his pocket, holding them up for Dave to see. The Junior Resident then gasped theatrically. "You did!"

"Well?" John said, pushing open his car door and stepping out of his Jeep. He indicated the building once more, giving the keys in his hand a little shake. With another sigh, Dave pushed open the door to the Jeep, stepping out onto the curb and shaking off John's attempts to help him. Silently, though John could see the clear excitement in Dave's eyes, they made their way inside of the building, an elevator in the main lobby. "Elevator. So you don't have to lug your bike up and down stairs anymore."

"I hope you know," Dave said, glancing at John in his peripheral vision, "that it is going to take me twice as long to bike to County now."

"Oh, no it's not," John said, glad to see Dave demeanor changing from gloomy to happy, slowly but surely.

"And why's that?" he asked, finally turning to look John in the eye as they boarded the elevator.

"Because I," John started, as he pressed the button for the second floor, which was also the top floor. He turned back to Dave, stepping deliberately close to him, feeling the heat emanating off of the younger man's body as he draped his arms over his shoulders. "Am going to teach you how to drive."

"Oh really?" Dave asked, pulling back and out of John's reach. The elevator came to a stop, and the Junior Resident quickly stepped off into a brightly lit hallway, John following suit, wearing a frown as he realized maybe getting Dave out of that gloomy mood was going to be harder than he thought. "So which apartment is it?" he asked after seeing four doors.

"This one," John said, pointing to the last door on the left. Leading Dave there, he said: "You know, I still find it hard to believe that you can't drive, since you know so much about cars and how to fix them."

"My old man never let me learn how to drive," Dave stated casually, following John down the peach-colored hallways, which were floored with dark green carpet. "He knew that as soon as I got a car I'd get outta there, and he also knew he couldn't live without me." The Junior Resident shrugged, somewhat sadly. "I guess I learned a lot about cars to make up for it. But I never really needed to know how to drive, so I just...never learned."

"Where is your dad now?"

"He's dead."

"I'm sorry," John said softly.

"Don't be. It was one of the happiest days of my life," Dave said, staring John in the eye, who felt a sudden chill creep up his back. God, Dave hated his father with such intensity John could feel it.

John paused at the closed door of their new apartment, turning to face Dave, watching him carefully. He didn't know a lot about Dave's past because he knew it was a touchy subject, a time that Dave didn't want to remember. And John suspected that even though he they didn't talk about it, it was always just at the tip of Dave's tongue, as if the younger man were ready to blurt out everything that ever happened to him - *needed* to blurt out everything that ever happened to him - but somehow couldn't.

"So, are we going to just stand here all day," Dave began, quickly changing the subject before John asked any more questions that he had no desire to answer, "or are we going to go inside?"

"Right," John quickly said, sticking the key in the lock and turning it, pushing the door open and holding it in a fashion that showed Dave was to go first. The younger man stepped inside almost warily, glancing around the place with curious eyes that took in every single detail of the place. His back was facing John, so the older man couldn't see if Dave was happy or not. "So...what do you think?"

"I think you think you can make up for being an asshole to me by buying me things that I can't afford for myself," Dave said softly. He turned and looked at John, his expression showing that he was clearly hurt. "You must really think I'm some kind of fuckboy, John."

That was it! Here, John had gone out of his way to buy this apartment and move everything into it, and now all Dave could do was throw it back in his face?? John sighed through clenched teeth, spitting out: "Dave, for you to be a fuck boy, you would have to let me fuck you, which hasn't happened yet."

"Fuck you!" Dave suddenly yelled, and John immediately regretted his comment. "You...you don't get to use that in a fight...you...I...I..."

"Dave," John said, holding up his hands in surrender. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I'm sorry. Look, I didn't do this to make you forget that I was an asshole. I know that I was an asshole. I just...I..."

"Then why did you do it?" Dave asked softly, his brown eyes watery.

"I did it because you deserve it, Dave," John replied. He glanced off, trying to find the right words and hoping that he could. "Although you don't believe it right now, I care about you...and I want to make you happy. You deserve to be happy."

"You know what would make me happy?"

"No," John said, his expression pleading. "But I swear if you tell me, I'll do it Dave. I'd do anything to make you happy."

"Really?" Dave asked, apparent doubt in his voice.

"Yes," John said urgently. John wanted nothing more in the world than to give Dave what he wanted, what he *needed*. "What would make you happy?"

"For you to respect me as a person, as an equal," Dave whispered, turning away from John.

"God! Dave, I do!" John said, taking a step towards Dave, and he was almost relieved that Dave didn't take a step back, something the younger man often did when they argued, and John wondered if perhaps it was instinctive or not. "I do, more than anyone."

"Then act like it sometimes," Dave snapped, regaining his composure. "Stop acting like I'm less than you when we're in front of people."

"Dave...I...I don't act like you're less than me in front of other people..."

"Oh, yes you do," Dave said, now taking a step back. "You order me around, and you talk to me like I'm...like I'm just a junior resident that you can push around. I mean I expect it at work, I guess...but...you don't have to treat me like I'm an idiot when we're at work. And you don't have to treat me like I'm beneath you when we're *not* at work. You don't even act like I'm your friend..."

"Dave, I'm sorry," John whispered. Was this really how Dave had felt all along? "Listen, I can stay at my Gamma's house. You stay here, I'll call Abby to stay with you."

"I don't need a fucking babysitter," Dave stated harshly. "I can take care of myself."

"Okay, fine," John said quietly. "Call me later, okay?"

"Okay," Dave said softly, watching as John walked to the door. Dammit. "Wait!"

"What?"

"Don't leave...please, John," Dave said, stepping towards him. "I don't want to stay here without you...it would...seem wrong."

"Okay," John said softly. "Do you want to talk about it?" he suddenly asked. "About...the attack, about your father, about anything?? About me...or you?"

"No," Dave said with finality in his voice.

"Dave, we should talk about it," John said.

"Not now," Dave said, suddenly feeling very tired as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"What do you want to talk about, then?"

"The carpets," Dave decided with a nod.

"Carpets?"

Dave turned to John with a small smile. "The carpet's clean!"

"What?" John instinctively glanced at the bright beige carpet, which was probably the color that the carpet in Dave's old apartment was *supposed* to be, and then looked back up at the Junior Resident, who was still admiring the flooring. "Uh...yeah, it is."

"You don't understand," Dave said with raised eyebrows as he faced John once more. "I cleaned and cleaned my old apartment's floor over and over again, and it was never this nice." He let out a low whistle. "Jeeze, this must've cost you a fortune: the apartment, getting all of our stuff in here in a day...I can't repay you..." he said softly, looking up at John with gentle eyes.

"You don't have to," John said as he approached the younger man, placing his hands on Dave's hips. "Consider it an early Christmas present."

Dave gasped theatrically for the second time in one hour. "You must've seen the Christmas presents I had hidden in my closet for you! John!"

"Dave, relax," he said, chuckling at Dave's sudden panic. "My Gamma and Corinne helped me get all our stuff into boxes and ship it over here...I didn't seen any Christmas presents."

"Uh...what Christmas presents?" Dave looked away, trying to back-peddle his previous statement. He cleared his throat and rubbed the nape of his neck, and then looked back up at John from under his brow, his small smile reaching his beautiful brown eyes. "I'm supposed to be mad at you..."

"I know," John said, moving a hand to cup the side of Dave's face. "And I'm sorry."

Still smiling, Dave leaned forward and kissed John softly on the lips, closing his eyes as he did so. John often wondered why Dave closed his eyes while they kissed, contemplating the fact that maybe Dave trusted him enough to do so. Pulling away, Dave hugged John tightly, and the older man could hear the emotion in the younger man's voice as he said: "Thank you, John. This is really wonderful. No one's ever done something like this for me before."

"It's about time someone did," John said, and Dave glanced at him in surprise. John really did think he deserved the world, Dave realized then. But he wasn't sure why, because Dave really did think he was a terrible person that didn't deserve anything, much less someone like John. "I love you," he suddenly said, and then watched as Dave's expression turned from surprise to shock to delight.

Dave's eyes widened in surprise, first of all, because no one had ever told Dave they loved him except for his mother and his high school sweetheart, Steven. Coming from John, it was just as surprising as if God Himself had opened the heavens and revealed Himself to the earth. Next came shock because...*John*?? Loved *him*?? Frankly, Dave hardly thought of himself as much, but yet, what little Dave was or had to offer, John loved. Now: delight. John loved him. John, this smart, funny, good-looking, rich, special, *special* man, loved him. It was everything he'd ever wanted and everything he'd ever hoped for.

...So why couldn't he say it back? He knew he loved John, he'd loved John for several weeks now, had admitted it to himself several times. But yet, something was holding him back from saying those three words that could change their lives forever.

Wanting to say those words, but unable to, wanting to say something, but unable to, wanting to *do* something, but unable to, Dave stood there, watching as John's face fell. Great going, Malucci, he thought to himself. You've fucked up yet again! But he was determined to get this right, determined not to let down John again, so he figured if he couldn't *tell* John that he loved him, then he'd show him.

Slipping his hands onto either side of John's face, the Junior Resident pulled the older man to his lips, kissing him in a way that he'd never kissed anyone before, kissing him with deep, drugging kisses more addictive than any drug John had ever taken, kissing him with so much passion and zeal it took both men's breath away. Finally, moments later, he pulled away but did not move away, resting his forehead against John's shoulder, unable to look up into John's face in fear of what his expression would tell him.

John smiled as he rested his chin atop of Dave's head, feeling absolutely wonderful though Dave's response to his confession hadn't been what he'd exactly hoped for. What he *had* been hoping for was the traditional reply, and though he didn't get one, the kiss that Dave had delivered had obviously stated that even if he didn't - or for some reason couldn't - say those three words back, he certainly *felt* it.

"We got a new couch," Dave reported, simply because he could think of nothing else to say at this time.

"Yeah," John replied, his arms wrapped around Dave as he glanced at the black leather couch with overstuffed pillows that could accommodate three people. "You were so engulfed by the carpet I didn't think you'd noticed."

"I did."

"Got a new bed too," John said casually, one fingertip tracing patterns on Dave's back.

"Oh, did we?" Dave asked just as casually, picking up his head to glance over John's shoulder and into the hallway that presumably led to the bedroom.

"Mm hmm..." John replied with a suggestive smile that was reflected on the Junior Resident's face. He nodded towards the bedroom. "What do you say we check it out? Maybe 'christen' the apartment??"

Dave grinned broadly, pressing himself and the growing bulge in his jeans against John. "I like that idea."

"Are you sure you are up to it?" John asked softly, gently tracing Dave's black eye with his fingertips.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Dave asked, smiling as he pulled a face. "Have I ever let you down before?"

"No, Dave that's not what I meant," John laughed. "It's just that you're hurt and...and...I don't want to make anything worse."

"We'll go slow," Dave said softly, as he ran his fingers over the bulge in John's pants, eliciting a moan from the older man. "Take our time...go steady...go slow..."

"Mm hmm..." John groaned.

"Let's go into the bedroom," Dave whispered.

And so, that night, away from the outside world, with each other in their own, alone in the darkness of their bedroom, together underneath the covers of their bed, Dave and John made love for the first time. There were no other words to describe it, there was no other way to describe the long, slow strokes Dave took John with, each one triggering his prostate. There was no other way to describe the way they held onto each other in the darkness, their hands roaming over each other's bodies as if they were experiencing each other for the first time, though both were familiar with each other's bodies just as they were familiar with their own. There was no other way to describe the way they looked into each other's eyes with an intensity neither had ever witnessed before, a silent exchange that spoke volumes about the way each other felt, about the way they wanted and hoped to feel forever. And there were no words to describe that feeling, a feeling that some people searched their whole lives for just to feel five minutes of.

Except sheer joy.

-------------------------------------

Please can you tell me

So I can finally see

Where you go when you're gone

-------------------------------------
Chapter Twelve - Downfall by The She Devil
--------------------------- Chapter Twelve: Downfall ---------------------------

Fear in me so deep it gets the best of me

In the fear I fall, here it comes face to face with me

Here I stand, hold back so no one can see

I feel these wounds

---------------------------

The leather snapped against his skin with a deafening crack, and as the old man pulled back with an obscenity, the young boy cried out, his back arching and his head tipping back as a sob escaped his lips. He closed his eyes tightly as he waited for the sound of the belt moving through the air, which was the only warning he would get before another snap, another obscenity, another cry and more blinding pain.

He could feel cold wetness down his back, the air biting at his open wounds, and he knew he was bleeding, maybe severely enough to leave scars - more scars. The old man had never hit the young boy this hard before with his belt, and the new level of pain was almost unbearable. He was pleading now for the old man to stop, unsure of how much more he could take before he passed out from the pain - and God only knew what would happen to him should he fall into unconsciousness. The blissful silence and the feeling of *not* feeling for only a few moments wasn't worth the consequences.

And there it was. A sound as if the silent night air was sighing, and the young boy knew it was coming, but he also knew that this was the last one he could take. And he also knew that worse things would come once he awoke in a few moments, worse things would happen in his unnatural slumber. The old man liked it when the young boy was motionless and unresponsive; he didn't like it when he fought back. By the time he would wake up from his forced slumber, it would begin, and he would just lie there and let him finish...sometimes he would cry, but he never spoke, never begged, that would only make it worse...so he just silently cried. Sometimes the young boy was submissive purposefully, in hopes that the old man would tire of him and toss him aside perversely like a lackluster toy. But each time the young boy discovered that it only made it easier for the old man to hurt him, only made it more *fun*.

And then came the snap of the leather against his skin, the pain ripping through his body and the blood trickling down his back. The young boy hoped that he'd be able to clean the wounds later by himself, otherwise he'd have to ask Miranda to do it, and he hated obligating his friend in such a way. He knew it affected her greatly to see what the old man could do to him, even though she never voiced her silent sympathies. Sometimes she would cry, sometimes he would cry with her. But both ignored their tears as best as they could. And he always left feeling guilty for hurting her, and he knew she was always left feeling guilty for letting him go.

And now the young boy closed his eyes and here came the darkness, the comforting darkness that frightened the young boy at the same time. Who knew what he would find when he awoken? He prayed that he would be alone when he regained consciousness, but somehow he knew that God wasn't listening to him at that moment, and he also knew that the terror wasn't over just yet. The old man had been very angry with the young boy, more so than he had been in a long time.

Opening his eyes once more, the young boy gasped audibly and scrambled back in fear of what could be happening to him. But his surroundings were different, brighter and cleaner, and suddenly the young boy realized he was no longer a young boy; he was twenty-eight years old, would be twenty-nine very soon. And though he felt like an old man - perhaps even *that* old man - he wasn't that old just yet. He had many years left ahead of him, or at least he hoped so.

Sighing, wondering when - and if - these fucking nightmares were ever going to stop, Dave Malucci rubbed the sleep from his eyes, glancing around when he was finished to see that he had backed himself up against the headboard, kicked aside the covers, and woken up his lover, who was watching him with concern in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" John asked, reaching out to gently rub the front of Dave's calf, which was possible because the younger man's knees were drawn up against his chest.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he replied, nodding vigorously as he felt his heart doing at least ninety miles-per-hour. He abruptly pulled away from John's touch and got out of bed, looking at the startled Chief Resident's expression with one of his own. "I'm going to take a shower," he managed to hastily say before turning and starting towards the bedroom door. He paused suddenly. "New apartment," he remembered, and then turned towards the door leading to their own adjoining bathroom.

Closing the door behind him, he pulled open the mirror to see that mostly everything was exactly how it had been organized in his old apartment. The top shelf held his razors and shaving cream, the middle shelf had extra bars of soap and deodorant...and there, on the bottom shelf with a few other items, were the two orange bottles he was looking for. One contained his prescription of Zyrtec for his allergies. The other was supposed to contain the painkillers that were prescribed to him after his beating, but instead it contained several different kinds of pills that one would never find inside a single container unless they looked in this one. Dave had hidden Klonipin, Dexedrine, Demerol, Percocets and his most recent addition, though he hadn't taken any yet, Butalbital - a barbiturate - in it since John had begun to stay at his old apartment regularly.

And now, as he twisted off the cap and shook out a few Klonipins and Dexedrines, he enveloped his fingers around them and bit his lip. Klonipins and Dexedrines just weren't doing it for him anymore, they weren't giving him the same buzz as they had when he'd first started taking them. Deciding on a new, stronger drug of choice, Dave put the pills back in the bottle and shook out a couple Demerol, and quickly put them in his mouth and swallowed.

It was then that he realized this was the eighth morning in a row he had done that. It was then that he also realized he was taking more drugs more often, and it was then that he also realized he was taking them when he didn't need to anymore. Putting the pill bottle back on the shelf, closing the mirror and catching his eye in it, seeing how terrible he looked, he wondered how he had succumbed to this even though he didn't want to think about it right now.

He heard his alarm in the bedroom go off before John quickly shut it off, and sighed as he recalled the fact that they had work early today. It was his first day back since the attack a few days ago, and, not wanting to be late in fear of what the Chief might do, he turned on the shower and stepped inside once it was warm enough. Standing under the hot spray, his arms crossed against the wall and his forehead leaning against them, he found himself telling himself that he would make it through the day. After all, he made it through yesterday, he could make it through today too. Why he was telling himself this, he wasn't sure of, and he didn't allow himself to ponder the thought, only kept telling himself that he would make it.

There were suddenly arms encircling his waist, visibly startling him. John quietly apologized before placing a gentle kiss on his neck and resting his chin on Dave's shoulder. Closing his eyes and leaning back against the older man, Dave turned his head towards John's face and inhaled his musk before opening his eyes once more to see John watching him. He gave the Chief Resident a small smile before their lips met in a loving kiss. Love. Love. It was a word Dave had grown accustomed to lately, and it filled him with a bad case of the warm fuzzies that he couldn't say he minded. But even when he was at his happiest, there was this feeling of dread in the back of his head, always reminding him that something would go wrong and he would be left alone again...alone and hurt and irrevocably damaged.

In a silent exchange, the two men had decided to help each other groom that morning, and once finished washing each other's hair, Dave had taken the bath sponge and soap and had begun to wash John's body. Starting from his legs and working his way upwards, the younger man soon reached John's torso, and when he began to wash John's neck the older man wrapped his hand around Dave's, causing the younger man to look up at him.

"You're so gentle," John said softly, touching Dave's still-healing black eye with his fingertips, then moving his fingers to gently caress Dave's stitches.

"I don't want to hurt you," was the unexpected reply he received.

"I know you'd never hurt me."

"I did a few nights ago," Dave reminded him quietly. "I could do it again."

"You didn't do it on purpose."

"I still did it."

"Dave?"

"Yeah?"

John reached up and slipped his hands on either side of Dave's face, bringing his face towards him and kissing the younger man tenderly. They soon parted, but Dave leaned towards him and rested his head in John's chest as the older man wrapped his arms around the younger man. They stood under the water spray in silence for a long time, the bath sponge long since forgotten on the shower floor by both men.

Dave was the first to break that silence. "John?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"Still being here," Dave said softly.

John was so taken aback by the comment that he didn't know how to respond. Did Dave really think that he would still leave him? John didn't know how to relieve Dave of this fear, but he knew that whatever the cure was it wouldn't be an easy one. Dave had been hurt many times in his life, used many times, let down many times. But John promised himself he wouldn't do that to Dave, he wouldn't let himself. But yet he knew that promise would have to be fulfilled and not spoken, so John only continued to hold him, wishing that he could hold Dave forever in his arms and forever in his heart.

-------------------------------------

Step down...

-------------------------------------

As she moved from room to room through the ER eating a cereal bar for breakfast, Abby Lockhart considered herself to be several things. She was a woman, she was hungry, she was a Democrat, a Dave Matthews Band fan, tried, PMSing, a nurse in OB and the ER, and she was also very mad. She was mad because she *wasn't* a messenger, and therefore shouldn't be used as such by Dr. Weaver, who had given her the task of telling the staff working today that there was a staff meeting in one half-hour in the Lounge. Well, fifteen minutes now, she thought to herself as she spotted Dave and John just signing in.

"Hey, guys," she said, approaching them. She glanced over the Junior Resident, her eyes lingering over his black eye. Those bastards who'd beaten him up had sure done a number on him. "How are you feeling Dave?"

"Pretty good today," he said with a bright smile, which was due in large part to the Demerol he'd taken this morning.

"Glad to hear that," Abby replied. "Oh. Staff meeting in fifteen minutes in the Lounge."

"Okay," Dave replied absently as he signed his barely legible signature on the sign-in list. She'd probably end up harping on him for one thing or another, whether it was his charts or his bedside manner. Maybe she'd at least wait until everyone was gone rather than a public flogging, he hoped. Moving aside so that John could sign in, Dave picked up his bookbag and said: "I'm going to get in there and grab my stuff before Weaver shows up. See you in a few."

"What do you think the meeting's going to be about? Probably just the regular complaints and compliments, right?"

"Rowrr..." Dave suddenly growled quietly into John's ear, sneaking in a quick pinch at his ass before turning and moving towards the Lounge, sending John into a complete disorientation. He turned towards Dave in surprise, but the younger man was walking away from him. Smiling slightly as he turned back to Abby but didn't look at her, John wondered if this meant they'd find an empty supply closet during their break and do a quick kiss-and-touch - with the door locked, of course. He didn't need a repeating performance of someone walking in on them, someone who wouldn't take it quite as well as Abby had.

So, with that image in his mind - Dave's lips under his own, his hands up John's shirt or maybe down John's pants, all while John was having his own fun with Dave's body - almost thirty seconds passed before he snapped out of his daydream and looked up at Abby, whose eyebrows were raised expectantly. Oh, yeah. Hadn't she said something to him? Asked him a question??

"Uh..." he tried, "Missing drugs?"

"You're right," Abby said, grinning as she held up her cereal bar. "I'm sure that's exactly what's wrong with my cereal bar today. Betty Crocker sure is losing her touch. Next thing you know, she'll be forgetting to put the hard liquor in my coffee."

"What??" John asked, shaking his head to clear his mind from any thoughts of Dave, himself and a closet. "You asked me about the meeting."

"And then I asked why my cereal bar tasted funny, but you obviously weren't paying attention," she said, shaking her head with a grin, leaning back to get a "rear view" of his retreating boyfriend. She suddenly turned serious. "How's Dave doing?"

"He's okay...no, he's not okay," John suddenly changed his mind, and then added with finality: "Something's bothering him."

"Well, he *was* just beaten up, John."

"No, that's not it. Something is...off with him. It has been for a while. One minute he's Dave and the next minute he's...I don't know how to explain it...have you noticed anything?"

"Yeah...but he won't talk to me about it. Every time I ask he brushes me off." She suddenly cocked an eyebrow, glancing at John suspiciously. "You mean...he hasn't talked to you about it?"

"No. He won't. No matter what I do or say, he just won't open up to me," John said. He reached up and rubbed his forehead wearily. "I'm really worried about him."

"Me too," Abby said softly. There was a pause, both lost in their own thoughts, before Abby spoke up once more. "You said something about missing drugs in my cereal bar?"

"No, I was talking about the staff meeting," he clarified. "It's probably going to be about the missing drugs from the drug lockup."

She immediately turned solemn, her brow furrowing in deep thought. "Who do you think is stealing them?" she asked, glancing around the ER as if that alone would allow her to figure out who it was, if indeed anyone was stealing the drugs.

"We don't know if *anyone's* stealing them," he said as he adjusted his shoulder bag. "Maybe it's just human error. Someone could be forgetting to sign them out."

"John," she said exasperatedly. "There's a lot of drugs missing, not just a few pills here and there. Serious drugs, John: Benzos, opiates, amphetamines, barbiturates...someone's stealing them, I know it."

"Well, if that's the case," he said, "then who's the one doing it?"

-------------------------------------

Am I breaking down?

-------------------------------------

Dave Malucci stood in front of his locker inside of the Lounge, hanging up his jacket on the hook provided. He bent over to his knapsack on the floor and pulled out a few charts he'd finished up last night, and then stuffed that inside as well, leaving his charts on the floor for now. Finished with those simple tasks, he took out a scrub top he kept in there and pulled it on over his long-sleeved tee shirt, clipping on his ID badge and throwing his stethoscope around his neck once done. He couldn't help but notice the fuzzy way the world looked, almost as if everything was moving in slow motion...

Glancing into the mirror on his locker door, he ignored the black eye and row of sutures that would be the focus of many stares today, and instead ran his fingers through his hair and did a few quick adjustments to it before he felt that it was perfect. He remembered a few nights ago when he'd commented to John that he'd been thinking about cutting it lately. When asked for his opinion, the Chief Resident had simply replied with a wicked grin and a devilish wink: "Nah...it gives me something to hold on to."

Dave heard the door to the Lounge open, and when he ducked a little so he could see whom it was in the mirror without having to turn around, he was displeased to say the least that it was Luka Kovac. Steeling himself, Dave closed his locker door quietly, hoping to make a quick and stealthy escape.

"Good morning, Dave," he heard, and then let out a silent sigh as he realized his wish would not be coming true any time soon. Turning, he smiled a nodded at the older man, who crossed the room to him. The Attending reached up and gently touched Dave's black eye, pressing lightly on the bruised skin and checking how well it was healing. But his hand lingered there as he finished, gently brushing his fingers over the Junior Resident's cheek before it fell back to his side. "How do you feel?"

"Okay," Dave replied as the older man moved to the coffee machine, touching his tingling cheek. "What about you?" he then asked, mostly because he could think of nothing else to say.

"Pretty good," Luka replied, smiling at the younger man as he searched through the cabinet for his mug. "I came in here early to get some coffee before the meeting. Would you like some?"

"Uh..." Dave stammered, trying hastily to think of an excuse to leave when the Lounge door opened once more, and he thanked God that John had finally decided to get his ass in here and get ready for work. Turning quickly, he was devastated to see Dr. Weaver enter. Jesus, his morning was turning into a nightmare! Next thing you knew, Dr. Corday would be entering the room, he thought to himself bitterly. Well, at least he wasn't alone with Luka now. But the Chief had that look on her face that told him his previous hunch of her harping on him was true, so he quickly turned back to Luka, saying: "Coffee sounds great."

"No problem," Luka said, pouring him a mug and handing it to him, and if Dave hadn't been so distracted by Dr. Weaver - on top of the Demerol he'd taken this morning - he would've noticed the older man's hand touch Dave's when he passed the Junior Resident the mug, and he would've noticed the older man's hand linger a bit longer than it should've. "Morning, Kerry."

"Good Morning, Luka," she replied, smiling thinly in that way that she did. "Morning, Dave. How are you feeling today?"

"Morning, Chief. I'm feeling great."

"Good. Have you heard about the staff meeting yet?" she asked Dave, and then her eyes shifted to the floor as she spotted his charts in front of his locker. Her expression hardened as she fixed her gaze back on him, her eyes pinning him to the wall. "Dr. Malucci," she started. Oh, Great. When it wasn't "Dave" anymore, but "Dr. Malucci," he knew he was in for it. "Are those your charts on the floor?"

"Yes," he said, moving to them, as John entered the Lounge, his expression one of puzzlement as he heard Dave speak. "But I just put them there when I was getting my stuff together."

"Just make sure you don't leave them there," she said, pulling up a chair at the Lounge table. Great, so now she was going to chew him out in front of John, who was looking pretty sympathetic as he moved to his locker to get ready for the day.

"I wasn't going to," Dave quickly stated, managing to gather them in his arms while still holding his coffee.

"It's a bad habit, to leave your things here and there," she went on to say, though he knew she was implying that it was *his* bad habit.

"It's not a habit."

"Someone could trip right over them and fall down and hurt themselves."

"Right, right." God, how embarrassing this was, Dave thought as he felt a chart slipping from his grasp.

"The hospital could get sued for your haphazard behavior."

"Exactly," Dave agreed. Say something, John, he pleaded silently to the older man, who was *only* looking sympathetic instead of getting him out of this.

"Don't let it happen again." The chart clattered to the floor, visibly startling the younger man, who then let out a silent but noticeable sigh.

"Kerry, can I have a word with you?" Dave suddenly heard from behind him, and he glanced at Luka thankfully. Turning back to John as the two senior staff members began to discuss Dr. Weaver's patient, he tossed him a glare that would put the Chief's to shame as he picked up his chart.

"What?" John whispered quietly to the younger man.

"You could've said something," he replied harshly, though just as quietly. He suddenly sat down at the Lounge table, reorganizing his charts angrily, hoping the day would get better soon.

John sighed silently as he heard Luka whisper to Kerry, so low John could barely pick up on it: "It's his first day back, give him a little bit of a break." Sighing again, John joined Dave at the lounge table, his expression one of puzzlement and slight incredulity. Dave's moods sure were erratic lately, he thought to himself as he watched the Junior Resident carefully, who was now biting his nails, a nervous habit that John had noticed the younger man had recently picked up. Dave glanced up at John, who tossed him an apologetic look as Luka joined them at the table, sitting next to John, but the younger man just looked away, now fidgeting with his ring.

As doctors and nurses filed into the Lounge for the staff meeting that Dr. Weaver had called today, John mused about what could possibly be putting Dave on edge lately, especially the last few days. Perhaps the attack had gotten to him, something John knew they hadn't talked about yet. But it couldn't be that, he thought, because Dave's moods had been unpredictable long before then. Was he stressed with work? But he didn't seem to be under any more stress than he had been since they first started seeing each other. And it couldn't just be that Dave was just like this, because when they *had* first started seeing each other, he was...different. Calmer. More composed. Self-assured. Less likely to explode over things.

Was it the nightmares? Maybe they were getting to be too much for him to handle. It was the only thing that he could really think of that could be bothering Dave so much, and with the intensity in which Dave experienced them - waking up screaming, fighting, crying - it seemed to be the best guess. Next time he had the chance, maybe during dinner or even while they were lounging around at home, John promised himself that he would bring up the possibility of a therapist. If Dave wouldn't talk to John about it, then he could at least talk to someone. Although John was almost positive that Dave would blow up at the suggestion.

Breaking John from his thoughts, Kerry immediately began speaking once everyone was settled. "As most of you know by now, save a few new faces," she said, glancing at Michael Gallant and a few new nurses, "I usually hold a meeting every month to discuss bedside manner, patient care, new equipment, staff changes, policy changes and even that new color system. But this meeting is a bit more...imperative than the color system."

John watched as glances were exchanged throughout the room, more specifically, watching as Dave exchanged glances with Abby, who was sitting next to him. John knew what this meeting was about: the drugs that had been missing from the drug lockups. But most people had been left in the dark thus far, including Dave, who then turned to face John. Their eyes met for a moment, and in that moment, John gasped audibly. Dear Jesus, John thought as Dave mouthed: "You okay?" to him, but John only nodded vigorously. Erratic behavior, mood swings, hypersensitivity...it would explain everything.

No! He had to be wrong, he had to be! Dave was not a drug addict, there was no way! John would be the first to notice, considering he's a drug addict himself, albeit a recovering one. And surely he would've found the pills by now...for God's sake, they lived together! Okay, so they'd only been living together for a few days, but they'd been practically living together before then. And the only pills he had were allergy pills and the painkiller Vicodin that was prescribed by Weaver...there were no Benzos and certainly no Barbs.

...But what if he was *right*?? Dave could be spiraling out of control. He could be a full-blown addict, and John had just been too blind to see it thus far. What if he had just not *wanted* to see it? God, if that was true then it meant that this was his entire fault. Just like with Dennis...he'd lived with Dennis too...and look what had happened to them. He had to stop this before it was too late, before another death was on his shoulders.

Okay...so if Dave was addicted to drugs, what was he supposed to do about it? John knew what he himself had been like when he'd been confronted by his peers. Hell, he'd quit County, damning the name of everyone inside of it, swearing he would never go back. What if he confronted Dave, and the Junior Resident left him? What if - unlike John when Peter had gone after him on that night so long ago - Dave didn't see what was happening and wouldn't come back? John was almost sure his world would turn upside down without Dave. Stop, John! Stop! Your feelings are not important right now! This is Dave's *life*!

God...what the fuck was he supposed to do?? He had to think, he needed to think about this first. Dave might not even be addicted to drugs. He could be reading into this all wrong. Just sit back and wait, he thought to himself. Sit back and wait...and *watch*...

And so he did just that. But during the whole meeting, while Kerry was laying her scrutinizing gaze over each and every one of her staff members present, almost dissecting them with her eyes, Dave remained calm. Surprising to no one but John, he looked mildly concerned, just as concerned as the rest of the staff was looking right now. The younger man even glanced at John, turning away with a worried expression, as if to wonder if *he* was the one stealing the drugs.

"God," John breathed quietly as he rubbed his eyes with his fingers. He *was* reading into this all wrong. Dave wasn't addicted to drugs, John was just being paranoid, just trying too hard to find an explanation for the younger man's recent neurotic behavior. Ridiculous, John, he thought to himself incredulously. You're ridiculous. Jeeze, just look at what happens when you decide to "save" someone. You think too much and you come to the wrong conclusions, and now here you are speculating the fact that Dave could be a drug addict. A drug addict, for God's sake!

How stupid was that??

-------------------------------------

Can I break away?

Push me away, make me fall

Just to see another side of me

Push me away, you can see

What I see: the other side of me

-------------------------------------

His mind was reeling. Kerry had just announced to the whole entire staff that someone was...*stealing* drugs from the drug lockup. The whole fucking staff! Now everyone would be looking out, keeping a careful eye on the drug lockup to watch out for that someone. That someone of course was he, David Malucci, but right now only he knew that and no one else did...but that would soon change, deep down inside Dave knew his time was running out before his secret was exposed to all and he lost everything...his career, his friends, his lover. That was simply because they wouldn't understand, they just wouldn't fucking understand. And he wasn't *stealing* them, he *needed* them! He couldn't get through the day without those drugs! But they wouldn't understand that, they'd try to change him, just like they'd tried to all along, because they didn't like him, they never did. And they certainly didn't try to hide it. The only reason Luka liked him was because he liked the way he fucked him, he didn't like him personally, it was all just an act. Hell, Abby probably laughed at him behind his back. And John...John, he...he was just walking on the wild side. He would leave him, the first chance he got he would leave him, and Dave would be alone again...alone forever.

They wouldn't understand.

But they weren't the ones who'd had the shit beaten out of them by their own father almost every day. Every day. Every single fucking day. A slap here, a punch there, a kick now, a baseball bat then. And he had the scars and mental stability to prove it. But they weren't the ones that saw their experiences reflected in the pitiful cases brought into the ER every single day. Pitiful. He was just pitiful in their minds. Pitiful and pathetic. He was a loser, a loser, no one was sympathetic towards losers, they preyed on them, used their weaknesses against them. But they weren't the ones that went to sleep to nightmares and woke up to a life they couldn't stand, a life that was suffocating him slowly, mercilessly. They didn't have to deal with that. They were happy and prosperous and perfect. He was a loser. But they weren't the ones that needed to forget. And he did. He needed to, he needed to. He *had* to, or he would lose his mind...or at least what was left of it.

They wouldn't understand.

A surreptitious glance at John told him that the older man didn't know he was taking the pills either, but it was only a matter of time. It was only a matter of time before he became suspicious, it was only a matter of time before he began questioning Dave, it was only a matter of time. And what was he going to do then? Force him into rehab, just like they'd done to John? But Dave wasn't addicted, he needed these pills. He *needed* them. But John was just like the rest of them, and he would just think he knew what was best for Dave. John would force him into rehab and while he was gone he would leave, and Dave would come home to an empty apartment and an empty life.

John wouldn't understand. No one would understand.

They just wouldn't fucking understand.

-------------------------------------

Fall back on me, and Ill be the strength I need

To save me now, just come face to face with me

Stay in place, you'll be the first to see

Me heal these wounds

-------------------------------------

"Well, that proved to be utterly useless," Abby stated dryly as she and her two best friends exited the Lounge together.

John exchanged glances with Dave, who only offered a faux-shrug towards that comment. "What did you expect?" the Chief Resident asked. "For the culprit to just stand up and admit that he's the one taking the pills?"

"Who says it's a he?" Dave interjected, hoping that they'd get off the topic of this soon, though he knew it would be the only thing circling around the ER once the nurse's Rumor Mill got started. They'd probably make speculation, some would even try to play detective. Hopefully no one would go snooping around in his business, though he knew they'd write him off as too stupid to be stealing drugs for months without detection. Besides, they'd probably be focusing on John too much to even consider him. He glanced at the nurse before him pointedly. "For all we know it could be Abby."

"I'll pee in a cup right now, if you want me to," she declared, eyebrows raised.

"Would I get to watch? Maybe hold the cup??" Dave asked with a grin and a wink, but Abby just tossed him a look and then rolled her eyes. "Hey, you guys want to grab some lunch later?"

"Sure," Abby replied, with a wink of her own, and if she didn't know better she would have sworn that Dave was blushing.

"Can't," John stated. "I have a meeting with Weaver my lunch break."

"Have fun," Dave quipped.

Abby suddenly glanced over Dave's shoulder, her eyes fixing on someone behind the two men. "Weaver, six o'clock. We'd better get out of here, she's not in the greatest mood today."

"When is she?" Dave asked with a laugh as he made a quick dash for elsewhere.

-------------------------------------

I'm not breaking down

-------------------------------------

"Why are you laughing?"

"I'm not laughing."

"Yes, you are," John said. "You're grinning from ear to ear."

"That's different than laughing," Dave pointed out.

"That's not the point." He indicated the television. "That doctor just told his twelve-year-old patient she was going to die. And you're laughing."

"I'm not laughing."

It had been many hours since the staff meeting that morning, which seemed so long ago to both men. By now, the meeting was the furthest thing from their minds, discarded from their memory and forgotten. So, now, the two men were sprawled out on the couch in their living room, one of Dave's legs draped over John's, who was playing with the brown hair on the younger man's calf. Kermit was curled up in a ball and sleeping, having wedged himself between Dave's side and the couch back. Boxes of Chinese take-out nearly empty by now were sitting haphazardly on the coffee table in front of them, beer for Dave and soda for John also located on that same table.

"You're still smiling," John stated, but when he saw exactly what Dave was grinning about he found himself smiling as well. "You have a crush on that doctor, don't you?"

"I do not," he said indignantly, though his expression suggested otherwise.

"Yes, you do!" he exclaimed, sitting up. "Admit it! You have a crush on George Clooney."

"I do not have a crush on George Clooney." Pause. "Okay, so I have a little crush on George Clooney."

"George Clooney..." John said incredulously as he sat back against the couch once more. He was still grinning, unable to *not* take the chance to rip on Dave for his celebrity crush. "He could be your father."

Dave pulled a face. "George is only forty."

"So you two are on a first-name basis?" John teased.

Dave threw a pillow from the couch at John, which he caught but didn't throw back, instead placing it behind him and leaning against it. Dave stuck his tongue out at John, obviously let down that they weren't going to have a pillow fight, but John just wasn't up to it after today's seemingly endless shift. Sometimes John wondered how he ever kept up with the younger man's antics, but at least it kept him on his toes.

"It's a good thing that you didn't work at the hospital when Doug Ross worked there," John went on to say. "People were forever telling him that he looked like George Clooney. He used to get so annoyed when people used to tell him that," John said, laughing at the memory. "You would have had a hard time focusing on work with him around."

Once more relaxing and enveloped by the marathon of some medical drama they were watching on television, the two men sat in silence. Removing his leg from John, Dave leaned forward to grab more shrimp lo mein and beer when he heard John say: "Scott Bakula."

"What?" he asked, puzzled as he turned his head slightly to look at John from over his shoulder.

"Scott Bakula," John repeated, somewhat hesitantly. Dave only continued to stare at him blankly, so he continued, with a sigh and a slight roll of his eyes: "I...I think Scott Bakula's kinda...good-looking..."

"Scott Bakula...?" Dave asked, more to himself than John as he tried to place the name that he knew he had heard before. He suddenly smiled broadly, holding up his hands. "Wait...you don't mean that guy from that TV show, uh..." - he snapped his fingers several times repeatedly until it came to him - " 'Quantum Leap,' do you??"

"Yeah, that guy..." John replied sheepishly. He sat up again. "What?! What's so wrong with Scott Bakula??"

"Nothing!" Dave said as he snickered and tried to compress his laughter as best as possible, holding up his hands in mock-surrender. He leaned back on the couch again, accidentally squishing Kermit, who growled depreciatingly and stalked off to find a quieter place to rest. "But you do realize that Scott Bakula has to be at *least* ten years older than George Clooney."

"So?" John asked. "I'm older than you."

"By, like, two years!" Dave exclaimed, laughing, and was promptly hit with a pillow. "Hey! No fair! You stole mine!"

"Then steal it back," John simply said, holding up the pillow once more to hit Dave with it. He immediately regretted the comment when Dave shot up and straddled him between his knees, so quickly John could've blinked and missed it. The younger man grabbed the pillow from John with vigor, both men laughing before Dave hit John with it. "Dave! That hurt!"

"Oh, I'm sorry," Dave said, his laughter dying down as he moved John's hand away from his jaw to inspect it and make sure he hadn't done any damage to his lover. He saw the mischievous flicker in the older man's eyes too late, and before he knew it John had grabbed the pillow back and managed to playfully smack Dave square in the face. The younger man fell back against the seat of the couch, and now John was on top of him, the pillow wedged between them. "You cheated," Dave said, grinning, as was John. "You're a cheater."

"Am not," John said, but before Dave could reply with the traditional comeback, he kissed him on the lips. Dave chuckled into the kiss, knowing that that was the only reason John had done it at that time, but both men immediately turned to the television screen as they heard the familiar beeping of monitors blaring. "Think she'll make it?"

"Nope," Dave said. "I saw this one."

"Well, if you're going to keep grinning through the entire death scene," John said, causing Dave's grin to only widen, "then I'm going to go to the bathroom."

"Get me another beer while you're up?" Dave asked, holding up his empty bottle. John grabbed the bottle, and Dave watched him as he left the room, following the way John's figure moved beneath his clothes. He bit his lip, his mind wandering to bedtime activities, and he was suddenly anxious to get to bed. Hopefully after this marathon was over, he could convince John that they could stay up just a little later, even if the older man had an early shift tomorrow.

A few minutes later, after the little girl on television was dead and George Clooney's screen time was over, John joined Dave at the couch once more, but sat at the other end of it. Dave began relaying what had happened in his absence, including the fact that when they'd intubated the patient, they hadn't administered any type of drugs, which they should've. It took him a few moments to realize John wasn't paying attention, right before he realized the older man was looking rather...numb.

"You okay, John?" Dave asked, his brow furrowed as he did so. John remained silent for a minute, before Dave waved a hand in front of his face. "Hey, Earth to John! And where's my beer?"

"You remember that meeting today?" John asked, though he wasn't looking at Dave.

"Yeah..." Dave replied slowly, eyeing John carefully. The meeting had been hours and hours ago, and neither of them had brought up the subject since. Why in God's name would John be bringing it up now?? "What about it?"

"Do you wonder who it is?" he asked, and only then did he turn to look at Dave, his eyes pinning Dave to the wall. The only thing the younger man could do was shrug, unable to form a sentence, a word, a sound - anything. "They must be pretty depressed, right?"

"I...I guess so..."

"How have you been feeling lately?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know..." John said, looking away once more, his brow furrowed as if he was thinking deeply. He seemed to be struggling for the words, possibly even trying to phrase them in his head before speaking out loud. "I mean...you've been acting erratic lately..."

"Erratic?" Dave asked, his eyes narrowing as his pulse quickened. Why was John asking him all of these questions?? Was he on to him? Did he figure out that Dave was taking pills? Maybe if he explained to him why, maybe if he told him that he had to...but did John really know? Maybe he was just concerned about his mood. Maybe, maybe, maybe... "What do you mean? What are you trying to say?"

"I'm not saying anything...it's just..." John said, but then trailed off with a sigh. He turned back to Dave, his eyes pleading. But what was the Chief Resident expecting? "I worry about you...your past and your nightmares and...I want to help you, but...I can't if you won't...talk to me..."

So that's what this was about, Dave decided, but probably only because he didn't want to think that it could be about anything else. Glancing away, he was suddenly at a loss for words. He'd discussed this before with John: he didn't want to talk about it. He'd stated that loud and clear, just like that so John couldn't misinterpret it. So why was he bringing it up now? Was Dave's mood really that off? Perhaps he should take something with the Demerol, to calm him down...

"Look, Dave..." John said when the Junior Resident didn't reply. He seemed to hesitate, before saying: "It's not healthy keeping it all inside. If you won't talk to me...would...will you at least talk to *someone*?"

"What?" Dave asked sharply, his voice suddenly taking on a defensive tone. "What do you mean, talk to someone??"

"I don't know, Dave..." John said, and then sighed, hating the direction in which this conversation was turning. "Like...like a..."

"Like a shrink??" Dave snapped. No way. No fucking way. No way was Dave going to see another one of those doctors. They hadn't helped years ago, and they sure as hell weren't going to help now. "No! No fucking way!"

"No!" John exclaimed before this whole thing blew up in his face. "Yes - I don't know! I just - I just want to help you!"

"I don't want your help," Dave said, as he walked into the kitchen to get his beer. God! If he couldn't have a pill right now he needed a beer - lots of them. He came back into the living room and opened his beer in an attempt to shrug the whole conversation off.

"Yeah?" John snapped, becoming angry now. He didn't know what pissed him off more: the fact that Dave walked away from him when he was talking to him, the fact that he was so nonchalant about the whole situation, or the fact that he was drinking beer. "Well, you need my help."

"Says who?" Dave asked. "You?? You think you know me, John? You have no idea..."

"Then tell me!" John said with desperation. Dave leaned back in his seat casually, raising the bottle to his lips as if they were still just kicking back and watching that medical drama on television, but John saw that Dave's hand was shaking. In a sudden burst of anger that John usually didn't display, the Chief Resident drew his hand back and knocked the bottle out of Dave's hand, sending it across the room and into the wall, where it hit but did not break. It landed to the floor with a muffled thud, beer flowing freely from it as it stained the carpet. "God damn it, Dave! God damn it! Stop drinking that fucking beer and talk to me!"

Dave was staring at the bottle on the floor, his expression showing his shock. John had seen him startle visibly as he'd knocked the bottle from his hand, and while he felt bad for doing that, he didn't regret his decision. Dave was going to talk or John was going to walk. At least that's the ultimatum he was going to give him - it wasn't to say he actually *would* leave, but he needed to make Dave open up.

"You think it's that fucking easy??" Dave yelled as he turned to look at John. "You really *don't* have any fucking idea." The Junior Resident suddenly stood from the couch, heading towards the hallway, his body ridged with anger...no, rage.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to bed," Dave said from over his shoulder.

"Oh, no, you're not!" John said, standing as well. He began to move towards Dave, who sharply turned on his heel and took a defensive stance. My God! John thought. He thinks I'm going to hurt him!

"Why? What are you going to do??" he asked, his face contorted with anger. "You gonna stop me? Gonna knock me around instead of that fucking beer bottle?? You want to hit me, John?"

"Dave, you know I'd never hurt you," was the first thing that John said. Did the younger man honestly think that John would hit him?? Dave stared him down for a few moments, making John feel suddenly embarrassed for his previous actions. But he'd just been so fed up with Dave's fa�ade...

"Well, you better be sure you can do it," Dave hissed, his eyes portraying more than he would ever say. "You better be positive you can take me, because I...I'll fight back. I'm not a little kid anymore, John, I know how to defend myself now."

"I'm not going to hit you, Dave," he said quietly.

"Then leave me alone," he said tiredly, turning once more and walking away, his shoulder sagging with defeat.

"Dave..."

"Goodnight, John."

-------------------------------------

Can I break away?

Push me away, make me fall

Just to see another side of me

Push me away, you can see

What I see: the other side of me

-------------------------------------

Dave closed the bedroom door silently, leaning his back against it and sighing heavily as he ran his fingers through his hair. What the hell was wrong with John? Why was he suddenly asking all these questions and why was he suddenly so concerned? He'd told him that he didn't want to talk about it, John knew that Dave didn't want to talk about it. He just didn't want to, why didn't John get that?!! Dave didn't even want to consider the "it wasn't healthy" bullshit. He'd been living like this for years now, and he was doing just fine. So he might take some pills to get through the day, and maybe he drank a little more than he should, but he was still doing just fine. He was fine. He was doing just fucking fine.

He would be even more fine if John would just stop probing him about his past. He didn't want to talk about it, because talking about it made him remember it all. And he certainly didn't want to remember it, he just wanted to forget it like a bad nightmare. That's all it had been, really: one terribly long fucking nightmare. And he would forget it if John would just shut the fuck up about it.

Damn it! Dave turned abruptly, thrusting his fist into the door, feeling the impact in his stinging knuckles. Closing his eyes, he decided that all he needed to do was calm down. Breathe in and out, in and out...that's it, just calm down, he told himself. But when it didn't have the desired effect, he found himself moving into the bathroom, suddenly needing something to take the edge off a bit.

Running his fingers through his hair once more, he took a deep breath before pulling open the mirror to reveal the medicine cabinet behind it. His eyes settled on the shelf where he kept his bottle of pills, but his brow furrowed as they met the empty space where he knew it used to stand. He felt his pulse quicken as he swallowed hard, his hands swiftly pushing other items out of the way as his eyes searched the shelf frantically. Where was it? Where the fuck was it?? It had to be here, it had to, it had to Goddamn be here!! He didn't take the bottle to work, he never took the bottle to work because he didn't want to risk someone finding them. Then where did he put them? They had to be here! And that was only because he didn't want to think of where else it *could* be.

Pulling his hands back abruptly, Dave stared at the almost empty medicine cabinet, most of the contents on the counter, in the sink or on the floor. Looking away with wild eyes, he glanced up once more as if to expect the pills to be there, that somehow he had just missed them. But they still weren't there, anywhere. But where the fuck could they be??

Closing the mirror numbly, Dave jumped in surprise as he saw John's reflection in the mirror, the older man standing in the doorway of the bathroom. How long had he been standing there, Dave wondered as he spun around, gasping audibly and letting out an intelligible exclamation of some sort when he saw John raise the missing bottle of pills from his side and into Dave's line of vision.

John gave the bottle a little shake, watching as the younger man visibly paled. "Looking for these?"

-------------------------------------

No one can see anything on the other side of me

I walk, I crawl, losing everything and waiting for the downfall

No one can see everything on the other side of me

I walk, I crawl, losing everything on the downfall

-------------------------------------
Chapter Thirteen - Fine Again by The She Devil
--------------------------- Chapter Thirteen: Fine Again ---------------------------

It seems like every day is the same

And I'm left to discover on my own

It seems like everything is gray

And there's no colors to behold

--

They say it's over

And I'm fine again

Try to stay sober

Feels like I'm dying here

---------------------------

It was raining lightly as Dr. Dave Malucci walked down the street alone. He didn't know exactly where he was because he had been walking for a very long while, so long he had lost track of time...or maybe it was the drugs, perhaps the alcohol. He couldn't even remember how he had gotten there, so backtracking his steps to his apartment would prove to be useless. He couldn't recall most of the night, really. He could vaguely remember going into various bars - how many he could not be sure of. He also vaguely remembered taking a few Klonopins and washing them down with a large glass of whiskey.

And, finally, he recalled that he had hit John Carter: his coworker, his friend, his boyfriend, his lover...whatever you wanted to call him, it didn't really matter. He was still the same person, and Dave had still hit him. Nothing would change that. No amount of alcohol or drugs, or anything. Nothing.

Dave didn't know how it had happened. One minute, John was holding up the pills, asking Dave if he had been looking for them. Dave had said yes, that they were his allergy pills. Then John had opened the bottle to reveal the Demerol, the Dexedrines, the Klonipins, the barbiturates, everything...the next thing Dave knew, he was wrestling John for the bottle of pills, which the older man had been about to flush down the toilet. Somehow, Dave had managed to hit him - so hard he had knocked John to the ground, a bruise already forming on his jaw by the time John stood.

But by that time, Dave had fled from the apartment, the bottle of pills going with him. He couldn't stay there, not after what he had done. He'd sworn to God that he would never hit anyone he loved, never, *never*. But there he was, hitting the one he loved more than anyone so he could get what he wanted. Just like his father. Dear Jesus, he was just like his father.

Suddenly, Dave sat down on the wet pavement, leaning against the brick building behind him. Burying his face in his hands, he wept, wondering how he had gotten to this point in his life, wondering how he had turned into the same man he had promised himself would never be. And, suddenly, he found himself doing the one thing he hadn't done in years, the one thing he thought he had forgotten how to - he was praying. He was praying that God would please take mercy on him and please forgive him and please, please please please...please, God, if He would do anything, would He please help him?

Dave just needed to calm down, that's all. If he calmed down, he could sort things out and then he'd know what to do. The Klonopins should've taken care of his nerves, so why weren't they working? Exactly how many had he taken? Not enough, apparently, because he could still feel, he could still remember. Slipping his hand into his jeans' pocket before he even knew what he was doing, Dave pulled out the bottle of pills, only having minor problems twisting off the cap with his shaking hands. Spilling them out into his palm, his eyes landed on the barbiturates, and he separated them from the bunch and popped them into his mouth before he had a chance to further contemplate the thought. He didn't even know how many he had taken, he just hoped they were enough to make him forget.

He tipped his head back, closing his eyes as he sat there for a minute, listening to his harsh breathing. When he heard sirens in the distance, he opened them again, finally taking a look at his surroundings. He wasn't in a good part of town, he realized, and he knew he'd better get out of here before he got mixed up in someone else's business. Quickly, he stood and swiftly made his way towards a place he hadn't been to in a while, hoping he would get there before it was too late.

-------------------------------------

And I am aware now of how everything's gonna be fine

One day, too late, I'm in Hell

And I am prepared now, it seems everyone's gonna be fine

One day, too late, just as well

-------------------------------------

Luka Kovac's bags sat next to his apartment door, packed and ready to go. He would be leaving in the morning, a reserved driver from a limousine service taking him to the airport two hours before his flight was due to take off. He was going to Bosnia, on a Doctors Without Borders program, where he would treat the citizens for two months before returning to the United States. Perhaps while he was there he would even visit Bosnia's neighboring country - and his home - Croatia. He hadn't seen his father in a few years, or visited his dead family in a few years for that matter either. Perhaps a visit to both would be good.

Flicking off the television, Luka stretched on the couch and yawned deeply. It had been his first day shift in a while, and his body seemed to refuse to adjust to the hours. Therefore, he was still up at this late hour, but Luka now decided that it was time to attempt sleep. Standing as he placed the remote on the end of the couch, he jumped slightly as he heard his doorbell ring. Who could it be at twelve o'clock in the morning?

Cautiously, Luka crossed the room to his apartment door, glancing into the peephole to see who it was. He leaned back in surprise as he saw who was at his door, and then looked again just to make sure he wasn't imagining things. Unlocking the door, he pulled it open, coming face to face with the man behind it.

"Carter," he said, unable to hide the surprise he still felt in his voice. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm looking for Dave," he announced, his expression showing his concern. Luka took in the younger man's bruised jaw but offered no comment. "We got into a fight and he left, and I didn't know if he came here."

"Why would he be here?" Luka asked when the Chief Resident didn't elaborate.

"I don't know, I'm checking everywhere," John stated, exasperated now, obviously unwilling to go into details. "Has he been here?"

"No, I haven't seen him," Luka said, shaking his head. He nodded towards John's jaw, remembering the fight between himself and Dave that had happened in the summer. "What kind of fight did you get into?"

"Uh..." John stammered, self-consciously touching his bruise. "It wasn't physical, it was just..." He suddenly paused, as if realizing what he was about to say. "Look, can you call me if he comes by? It doesn't matter what time it is or anything, just call me."

"Sure," Luka replied, and then narrowed his eyes as John handed him a small piece of paper with his phone number, apparently written beforehand. He hesitated only briefly. "Is something wrong?"

"Uh, yeah," John said, but then glanced up at Luka pleadingly. "I just...I can't...I'm sorry, Dr. Kovac, would you just please call me if he comes by? It's very important." The Attending only nodded, though his expression displayed his curiosity and slight puzzlement. "Thanks."

And then, just as surprisingly as he had arrived, Dr. Carter was gone. The younger man was clearly stating that whatever had happened wasn't his business, but it was obviously important for reasons unknown to Luka. And while he had wanted to ask, he had bitten his tongue and refrained from doing so. He wasn't a part of Dave's life anymore, and he was almost disappointed in a way to think that he never really had been.

It was his own fault really, he'd never wanted it to go further than what it was, which was his need to "walk on the wild side," as Dave put it once. He had always secretly thought that Dave was just an experience, that he was better than Dave - had more class, more intellect, more feelings. Now he saw that he was wrong, wrong in so many ways. Dave did have feelings, and all he wanted was to be cared about and respected.

Dave had respected Luka's wishes, and he let Luka use him. But why would Dave do that? Did Dave have that low opinion of himself? Then it hit Luka: Dave, for all his outward appearance and bravado, really didn't think he was worth anything to anyone. And Luka certainly hadn't helped matters any. Well, Luka thought with a sigh, he wanted a sexual relationship with Dave - *just* a sexual relationship with Dave - and that's what he ended up with. What was that American saying? Pay attention to what you wish? Watch out what you wish for? He wasn't sure, he could never really get those sayings right.

Luka watched the Jeep's taillights as the vehicle drove away into the rain, where it disappeared around the corner. He wondered where "everywhere" meant when Carter said that he'd looked everywhere for Dave, thinking that perhaps he meant Abby's apartment as well. The rumors of Dave and Abby were still abounding, but it was considered common knowledge around the hospital that the two were a couple. Luka, however, knew better than this after witnessing what had happened a few nights ago when John had brought Dave into the emergency room after being jumped. John and Dave's reactions had given them away to the older man, who would only guess because he knew of Dave's sexuality. Even then, he'd still contemplated the fact that Dave could've been seeing both Abby and John, one not knowing of the other or perhaps just Abby not knowing about John. However, Abby's reaction to the whole situation had not been one of a lover, but one of a good friend.

Leaning against the doorway heavily, Luka watched the rainfall as he remembered last summer, when he and Dave had gotten into the fight that had ended their relationship. He suddenly scoffed, recalling how that night he had specifically told Dave - rather callously - that they had never been in a relationship, ever. He suddenly remembered everything, and suddenly found that night's events rushing back to him in one hard blow and for the first time he understood how Dave must have felt.

---

I feel the dream in me expire

And there's no one left to blame it on

I hear you label me a liar

'Cause I can't seem to get this through

--

You say it's over

I can sigh again, yeah

Why try to say sober

When I'm dying here?

---

The evening had started out uncomfortable even before they'd left Luka's apartment. Dave had wanted to leave for the bar earlier, but Luka had found his new Sony PlayStation far too interesting to pass up, so the younger man had sat rather impatiently on the couch until about nine-thirty at night before Luka lost at a level and turned off the machine. Once they'd arrived at the dimly lit tavern, Luka had greeted two elderly chess players who were regulars, Dave inquiring if Luka knew them and finding out that they'd met at lunch.

"Delirium Tremens?" the pretty French waitress had asked Luka once the two men had been seated at a table. It was a pretty strong beer, with a pretty unique name, and he wondered how the two had met. Dave had narrowed his eyes as they'd continued to flirt, before interrupting their love-fest to order a Corona and a couple of menus. "I'm sorry, the kitchen closes at ten," she then reported.

"It's, like, 10:02," Dave said with slight incredulity as he glanced at his watch.

"I'm sorry," she apologized again, and Dave seemed as if he were about to say something rude or perhaps make a scene, so before that happened, Luka stepped in and asked if there were any appetizers left over. "I think the soup is still there," the waitress replied. "Potato cream?"

Dave glared daggers at Luka, silently fantasizing about pouring that soup up the waitress's cute French nostrils. He considered putting that fantasy into words, though eventually, he replied: "Just the beers, please."

The night had gone downhill from there. Luka had decided to play a game of pool with another man who happened to be from Croatia as well, and Dave had been stuck talking to one of the chess-players, who insisted that Dave check out his hand and figure out why it was bothering him so much. Dave had off-handedly replied that he should let Luka look at it, since the Attending was pretty good with pus. Then he'd stuck his arm up in the air, pointing to his watch as Luka caught sight of him, making it very clear that he wanted to go home.

"Cigarette?" the old man sitting across from him had then asked.

Dave actually considered it for a moment. "No thanks. I don't smoke."

His cellular phone had rung at that moment, and when he answered it he was mildly surprised that it was Carter. He hadn't even known that the Resident had had his number. They'd discussed a patient for a few moments, clearing up the fact that no, Dave hadn't administered GENT, and *then* Luka had decided that now was the time to leave.

"You don't have to hang up for me," Luka had replied rather haughtily when Dave hung up, knowing full well that it had been Dr. Carter on the phone.

"Ready to go?" Dave asked, hoping to avoid confrontation tonight. He was hungry, and he was tired, and all he wanted to do was go home, get something to eat, and then go straight to bed.

"If you want," Luka had then shrugged.

"Yeah, I want," Dave had snapped, by now getting rather annoyed with the older man.

"Fine," Luka muttered in response, before stalking off to get the check.

"Oh, now *he's* mad?" Dave said to his chess-playing companion, who was still seated across from him and had witnessed the short exchange. "I didn't even want to fucking come here."

Twenty full minutes later, Dave was still stuck at the table with the old man while Luka had now decided to get into a fairly long discussion with his Croatian friend. That's it. Dave had had enough of Luka's shit for tonight, no way in *hell* was he going to stay here another minute and take all of this nonsense. Standing, he approached Luka at the bar, and then proceeded to announce: "I'm taking a cab."

"What?" Luka had asked, but Dave didn't bother to answer him as he stormed out of the tavern, the older man following close behind. The Junior Resident stepped outside into the warm summer air, pulling out his cell phone and figuring he could dial information for the nearest taxicab service when he heard Luka's voice once more. "That guy's father was diagnosed with prostate cancer last month. He was asking for treatment options!"

"No, it's fine," Dave insisted, though his tone indicated that it was *far* from fine. He raised his hands in the air in mock-surrender, saying, "Go back in there and play doctor, I don't care."

"You should try it sometime," Luka hissed, and Dave turned to face him with a silent glare, ready to retaliate until the standoff was suddenly broken:

"Luka!" they both suddenly heard from behind them, and Dave quietly seethed as he recognized the voice of the pretty French waitress. "You forgot your credit card!" Approaching her, Luka fumbled with the tip as she said so sweetly Dave feared that he just might get diabetes, "The last two were on the house. We want to make sure you come back." The Attending then thanked the waitress, who called to Dave: "Nice meeting you!"

"Yeah," he snapped in reply, and then stalked off, trying to figure out the best way to get to the El train station since he didn't travel by it very often, especially from this part of town.

"Could you be a little bit more rude?" Luka asked, once he caught up with Dave, his tone incredulous.

"Could you be a little bit more friendly??" Dave fumed.

"I'm glad one of us is," the older man reported, following close behind.

"You know what?" Dave asked, stopping suddenly and spinning around, Luka almost knocking into him. "I told you I didn't care. Go back into the bar, and cure cancer for the UN for while you're at it, okay?? And when you're done, why don't you just go ahead and fuck that stupid no-brained slut!"

"Been there," Luka spat, looking directly at Dave, "done that - with *you*."

"Oh, right, Luka," Dave hissed sarcastically, continuing on his walk to the EL. "I'm such a fucking idiot. And I'm such a whore! You're the one that let's me fuck you every night. So what does that say about you, Luka?? Oh, yeah, that's right. You're a *saint*! Silly me, I forgot."

"I'm sick of it," Luka suddenly said, throwing his arms up in the air as Dave saw the El Platform nearby and began moving at a steady pace for it. "I'm just plain sick of it!" he repeated, this time more angrily.

"Sick of what?" Dave asked. "Sick of me? I haven't done anything to you! I've given you everything you wanted, and then some! And you're 'sick of it'??"

As they moved up the steps to the platform, the Junior Resident could see the train was about to leave. Quickly, he made a dash for it, just making it before it left the station, and he was almost surprised that Luka had followed him. He was almost hoping that perhaps Luka would give up already, that tomorrow they could deal with this since it was late, and Dave was tired, and still quite hungry, but the older man was still there.

Facing away from Luka, Dave crossed his arms over his chest, asking rather calmly: "What are you sick of? Me? This fight? What??"

"I'm sick of everything, Dave," he replied, his anger rising as Dave kept his back towards him, unwilling to even *look* at him during this argument. It was the least he could've done. "Especially your behavior back there." The train came to a stop, and as Dave glanced at the map of the different lines kept near the ceiling, he noted that it was his stop. Brushing past Luka rather roughly, he exited the train, and Luka followed with a sigh. "I was just trying to have fun! Is that such a crime??"

"No, go have fun," Dave said, raising his arms in the air in a dismissive manner as he quickly walked down the platform, Luka still following him. "I'm a big boy now, I can walk home all by myself, don't worry about me."

"Then why are you acting like a fucking toddler?"

"That's right, Luka!" Dave countered, his voice edged with sarcasm. "You are *always* right and I am *always* wrong..."

"Why do you have to make a big problem out of everything?" the Attending asked, his words edged with impatience. "It's like you have an insect in your anus!"

Dave scoffed. " 'Bug up my ass,' Luka, it's *bug* up my ass. If you're going to insult me, you can at least get the words right."

"Fine," Luka spat angrily, offended. "Then how about this: stop being such an asshole."

"I'm being an asshole?" Dave asked, laughing, though it was anything but amused. "*I'm* the one being an asshole?? You're the one that takes me to this fucking tavern that isn't even serving food anymore, after I come home from a twelve-hour shift! You're the one that's flirting with that waitress when I'm sitting right there, regardless of how it would make me feel. And *you're* the one that leaves your date with some old chess-player to go play pool with one of your friends!"

"What makes you think this was a date, Malucci??"

"Hello!" Dave said, dread creeping up on him as he wondered what exactly Luka meant by that question. "Where have you been the past month??"

"Ha!" Luka laughed harshly. "What, you think this is some sort of...relationship?"

"So what has this been to you?" Dave asked, his mind racing. What was Luka trying to say?? "What...what has this been to you??"

"That question," Luka said, his words laced with pure contempt, "would imply that this was anything at all."

Dave slowed to a stop, and Luka stopped as well, turning to see Dave looking up at him with an almost horrified expression. His eyes were searching Luka's, but the older man offered no comment, and the Junior Resident soon looked away, unable to form words or even make a movement.

Then, finally, "What? That's...this has been *nothing* to you?? Just...just..."

"That's right," Luka said, his anger and perhaps the alcohol consumed tonight getting the best of him. He moved close to Dave, deliberately close, knowing Dave hated it when Luka did that, when Luka overpowered him. The younger man began to turn to walk away, but Luka grabbed him by his arm and forced him to face him. "I used you, Malucci. You were an experiment...a toy. And a good one, at that. But that's all you ever were to me...just a toy."

"Get off me, Luka." Dave suddenly pushed Luka away from him, almost causing the older man to fall, but he kept his grip on Dave's arm, and pushed the younger man back, causing Dave to hit the wall behind him. "Don't fucking touch me."

"Always what you want, isn't it??" Luka spat, and though Dave struggled to get out of his grasp, Luka did not relent. He was sick and tired of Dave getting the last word, winning every argument, being able to call the shots and back out whenever he wanted to. "When am I going to be able to get what I want, huh? Why do you always get everything, and I get stuck listening to you? When am I going to get what I want?" he asked again.

"I said get *off* me!" Dave said, desperation clear in his voice, and Luka was about to let go when suddenly the younger man swung at him wildly. He grazed Luka's solar plexus, and would've knocked the wind out of the older man had he not gotten out of the way in time. Dave stood there, breathing heavily, as Luka listened, who was silently fuming, hardly able to control his anger by now. "What *you* want? I've always done what you want! I kept this a secret, I kept it from everyone. I left when you wanted me to, I came back when you wanted me to. It's always been what you want, *always*!!

"Well what about what I want, Luka?" Dave yelled, continuing his tirade, now standing close to the older man, staring Luka down even though he was considerably shorter. And he kept moving forward, getting in Luka's face, taunting him, and dangerously so. "What about me? Yeah, I'm here, I was a part of this too! You're telling me for the past month I was being used? Because you wanted to experiment? You wanted a toy?? Well you got what you wanted, Luka! What about me, huh? Did you ever even care to consider about how I felt??"

"Oh, please," Luka said, his face contorted with anger. "As if you are *always* so considerate of other's feelings. Since when are *you* the saint, Dave??"

"But you are, Mr. Self-Righteous," Dave shot back, inching closer towards Luka. "Why don't you get off your fucking throne for once. Oh, what's wrong? Afraid people will find out what you're *really* like? Hmm?? How do you think Abby would respond to that, huh? Or do you think she'd rather hear how you beg me to fuck you every. Single. Night. Or *maybe* - "

Dave didn't even realize what had happened until he was holding his stinging cheek, and then he looked up at Luka with wide eyes before remembering to breathe. And, suddenly, he found himself looking into his father's eyes. And, just as suddenly, he had an urgent need to get away from Luka. But almost as if sensing this need, the Attending stepped closer to him, too close for Dave's comfort, backing Dave up against the wall once more, his face very close to Dave's, but the younger man could not meet the older man's eyes.

"If you ever," Luka started, his anger getting the best of him, "say anything to anyone, your cheek won't be the only thing hurting. I will ruin you, Malucci. I will kill you. Is that clear?"

"Right, yeah," Dave breathed, still unable to make eye contact. "Crystal clear...frighteningly clear...uh...I...I have to go now. I have an early shift..."

"Remember what I said," Luka said, but Dave briskly walked away in the opposite direction of his apartment, and the Attending had even begun to go after him, but realized with deep regret what exactly he had said and done. Kicking himself mentally, he watched the younger man stalk off.

Luka went home that night feeling terrible for what he had said and did to Dave. He had scared him visibly, and while it had been what he intended, he still felt bad. Something terrible had happened to Dave a long time ago, and even though Luka didn't know what it was, he knew something had happened to him and he had exploited it tonight. God, what had he done??

With a sigh and an almost pained expression, Luka had then reached for the phone and dialed Dave's phone number, but neither the answering machine nor Dave picked up. Dave always left his answering machine on, even when he was home, and Luka knew that Dave had to have shut it off when he came home, which meant two things: he was home, and he wasn't answering the phone. Luka couldn't blame him - hell, if the situation were reversed he wouldn't want to talk to him either.

Later that night, lying in bed as he attempted to sleep though he knew it would not come, Luka still couldn't get Dave out of his mind. He would have to make it up to Dave somehow...some way. With slight surprise, he wondered what if Dave would not allow him to do that? What if Dave never wanted to see him again, which he probably wouldn't. Luka had insulted him, struck him, scared him, threatened him... Why *would* Dave want to see him again after tonight?

And only then did Luka realize he had probably missed the best opportunity that had been offered to him in a long time.

---

And I'm not scared now

I must assure you: you're never gonna get away

And I'm not scared now, and I'm not scared now, no...

---

Sighing now, Luka was about to close the door, was in the process of doing so, when suddenly a hand reached out and stopped him, a figure slumping in the doorway, clearly out of breath. The older man startled visibly, pulling the door open again as he spoke.

"Dave, what are you doing here?" he asked. "Carter was just here looking for you."

"I know, I saw him," Dave said, running his fingers through his hair to get it out of his face, then glancing over his shoulder as if afraid to be seen.

"God, you're soaking wet," he said, grasping Dave's wet sweatshirt and guiding him inside. He closed the door behind the younger man, turning away from him and heading towards his kitchen nook. "Let me call Carter so he can come pick you up. I swear you just missed him."

"No, don't call him!" Dave exclaimed, and Luka turned to him in surprise only to see the younger man stumbling towards him. His words were slurred, his face flushed, and he clearly wasn't in a lucid state of mind. Carter couldn't find Dave because he had probably been hiding out at a bar, drinking himself senseless. The younger man suddenly grimaced, placing a hand to his head. "Shit, Luka, do you have any Aspirin?"

"Yeah, in the bathroom," Luka said. Dave turned and quickly walked inside of it, not bothering to close the door behind him, but checking to make sure Luka was not looking. The older man was heading for the phone, and while doing that, Dave quickly opened the bottle of pills and dumped the rest of them into his hand. He needed to forget, to forget everything while he was here, he just needed to be here, right now, and not remember anything. Nothing, nothing...absolutely nothing. "I think I should call Carter. He was pretty worried."

"Please, don't, Luka..." Dave said desperately as he emerged from the bathroom after quickly downing the last of the pills in the bottle.

Luka let the subject of the phone call slide for now as he eyed Dave suspiciously. "What exactly happened tonight?"

"I don't know," Dave said, a pained expression crossing his face that wasn't because of his drunken stupor. His composure was quickly dissolving, his breathing increasing to short ragged bursts. "I just...he kept asking me all these questions...I don't know! I can't remember!"

"Dave, it's all right, just calm down," Luka said reassuringly, warily approaching the younger man, placing his hands on Dave's shoulders. He moved one of his hands, brushing against Dave's neck, but then paused there as he felt the heat emanating off of the younger man's skin. Moving his hand to Dave's cheek, he said: "Dave, you're burning up! Maybe I should take you to the hospital."

The sentence was barely finished when Dave said, shaking his head: "No..."

"At least let me call Carter," Luka tried to reason as he began to take Dave's pulse, which was surprisingly weak and irregular.

"No!" he exclaimed, more urgency in his voice this time. He took a step closer to Luka, standing impossibly close to Luka, his hands running over Luka's chest and his hot breath on Luka's neck. "No hospital, no Carter, just...here. I don't want to go anywhere but here...please, Luka? Let me stay?"

"Dave..." Luka began to protest, and as the younger man leaned forward to kiss him, he leaned back and out of his reach. But Dave was determined to do this, and he placed his hands on each side of Luka's face, pulling him towards him, pressing his lips firmly on the older man's. But Luka only placed his hands firmly on Dave's chest, gently pushing him away and breaking the kiss. As much as Luka wanted this, he knew that this was wrong, that Dave was drunk, that this would never happen on a normal day. "Dave, we can't. I'm going to call Carter, and you're going to go home."

"No, Luka, please," Dave pleaded, and Luka was about to push the younger man totally out of his reach when he looked down at the man before him. All words escaped him at that moment as he saw the need in Dave's eyes - the need for *him*. And that was something he hadn't seen there in a long time, something he'd been *longing* to see there for a long time. "Luka, please, can't we just do this? I...I need this, I need..."

Luka's logic and desires warred with one another. He'd wanted this for so long, had fought for Dave for so long, but something in Luka's mind told him this wasn't right. But when Dave's hands brushed over Luka's nipples through the thin fabric of his white undershirt, sending small waves of pleasure through him, all logic was lost and Luka was left with was pure desire.

The Attending leaned down and encased Dave's lips in his own, the younger man's mouth dry for reasons Luka didn't care to consider. All he cared about right now was having Dave -- *taking* Dave, taking him right now, taking what was and should still be his. Dave, apparently feeling the same way, moved his hands to the small of Luka's back, lower now and over his ass. Luka dared to do the same, but the younger man flinched, and continued to do so as Luka didn't remove his hands from Dave's body.

"Wait..." Dave said shakily, breaking the kiss.

"Dave, don't stop," Luka said, his voice rough with desire, and Dave suddenly flinched again, but was soon kissing Luka's neck, his hands moving to Luka's sweatpants. But his coordination was off, and he couldn't get the tie undone, so Luka placed his hands on top of Dave's and helped him do so. The younger man pushed down his sweats, revealing his growing erection, and then looked up at him with wild eyes. Alarmed, Luka asked, "What is it?"

"Nothing," Dave breathed, grabbing Luka's hot, hard member, eliciting a gasp from the older man, and then a low moan as Dave began to pump him. God, he'd wanted this for so long, missed this for so long...he'd almost forgotten what Dave felt like on his skin. But all the sensations were coming back, all of the touches and caresses and kisses and, God, everything, everything...

Suddenly, Dave was gently pushing Luka back against the wall, his kisses trailing down Luka's chest, to his stomach, to the soft hairs below his waist, and only then did he realize what Dave was about to do. Dave had never ever given him head before, had even outright declared that he wouldn't do it - ever - and Luka felt himself grow harder with anticipation, wondering what exactly it would feel like. He watched with awed eyes as Dave hesitated only briefly before continuing with the task at hand.

Luka had to stop himself from coming right then and there as he felt Dave's mouth on his cock, Dave's tongue working him over, driving him crazy. He moaned and tried to thrust into Dave's mouth, but the younger man kept a firm grip on his hips, holding him against the wall. Luka's breathing was quick and erratic, and he could feel a heat building from deep in his belly as Dave moved his mouth up and down the length of his cock. He ran his fingers through Dave's hair, grasping at the locks and tossing his own head back with a grunt as he felt himself go over the edge, coming hard and fast into Dave's warm, velvety throat.

There was silence as Dave disengaged himself from Luka, who was leaning against the wall with closed eyes, trying to regain his senses as his breathing and heartbeat returned to normal. He opened his eyes as he heard a sound from below. Breathing. Harsh breathing. *Dave's* harsh breathing. Glancing down, he could see the younger man still kneeling, though he seemed to be nothing more than a wet mess on the floor. Squatting to be eye level with Dave, pulling up his sweatpants as he did so, Luka could now see that Dave's expression showed his terror, his eyes wild, his pupils dilated, sweat forming over his brow. Luka reached out and touched his cheek, but Dave gasped and stumbled backwards, landing on his butt, looking up at Luka as if he was surprised to see him standing there.

"Oh, God," Dave said as one hand flew to his mouth, rubbing at his lips as if that alone would undo what he had just done. He scrambled to his feet, his breathing still heavy as he visibly shook. Worried as to what could possibly cause the younger man to behave like this, Luka stood, taking a step towards Dave, who immediately took two steps back with pure childlike fear crossing his face.

"Dave, what's wrong?" Luka asked, but the younger man quickly turned away from him and ran into his bedroom, and then into the bathroom, tripping and falling hard onto his knees in front of the commode as he did so. Seemingly unfazed by this, Dave pushed open the lid, but instead of throwing up, he dry heaved for a moment before resting his head in his hands and trying to control his breathing, as if he were about to cry or breakdown, or perhaps both. Luka cautiously approached the bathroom, standing in the doorway, watching the scene unfolding before him. Something was *definitely* wrong here, that was for sure, but Luka didn't know what it was, and right about now he was wishing Carter had told him just *how* important it was that he immediately call him, because he would've done it a hell of a lot sooner. "Dave, I'm going to call Carter."

"What?" Dave suddenly asked, looking at him with frightened eyes. "No, don't, please, Luka..."

"He's very worried about you, and now I can see why," he stated, his eyes searching Dave's as if that alone would tell him what was wrong. He began to turn and stand when Dave grabbed his shirt, stopping him from doing so. "Dave..." Luka began, as Dave struggled to his feet.

"No, please, please don't," Dave pleaded, his eyes beseeching, as were his words. But there was an unnecessary amount of urgency in his voice, as if he were afraid of what might happen. Then, unexpectedly, Dave moved closer to him, pushing his hands under Luka's shirt, running his fingers through Luka's chest hair. "Please, don't...I'll do anything you want..."

"What?" What the hell was going on?? "I'm calling an ambulance."

"I'm sorry!" Dave then seemed to try, when his other protests didn't work. "Please, I'm sorry, just...I just wanted to...please, don't hurt me..."

What the fuck? "Hurt you??"

"Please..." Dave pleaded, leaning close to Luka, his hot breath on Luka's neck. "I'll do anything you want...or...you could do anything you want to me...I won't even scream, I know you don't like it when I scream..."

Luka suddenly pushed Dave away in surprise, more roughly then he had intended to, and the younger man fell into the wall behind him in the small bathroom, grunting as he did so. He lowered his head, bursting into tears as he tried to shield himself from Luka's standing form, like he was expecting a beating. What was going on here?? Dave was acting crazy, irrational, like some psychotic patient he'd see in the ER.

"I'm so sorry," Dave cried. "I just...I just wanted to..."

"Just wanted to what?" Luka finally asked, realizing that Dave had said that several times tonight, but had never finished his sentence. He reached out and touched the younger man's shoulder, but Dave only pulled away violently, and ended up slamming the back of his shoulder into the wall behind him with a yelp. "Dave, I'm calling an ambulance."

This news only seemed to upset Dave more, who began to sob as Luka turned and walked into his bedroom, snatching his cell phone off of his nightstand as he sat down on the bed. He grabbed Carter's phone number from his pocket, angrily punching it in as he glanced out the window and into the dark rainy night. It barely rung before the Chief Resident answered with a harried: "Hello?"

"It's Luka," he stated. "Dave's here."

"He is?" Carter's voice was full of hope.

"Yes, he is," Luka snapped. "And why didn't you warn me?"

"Warn you?"

"Yeah, warn me," Luka continued on to say. "About his condition. Right now he's on my bathroom floor drunk out of his mind, crying his eyes out and begging for me not to hurt him."

"Luka, I'm so sorry." Carter's voice rang with sincerity, but was then filled with an urgency that Luka had only witness back in Croatia - back during the war. "Luka, you need to get Dave to the hospital. He's taken some pills..." Oh, God. It was all making sense now. All the different symptoms he had: headache, dry mouth, flushed skin, dilated pupils, fever, dizziness, nausea, weak pulse, irregular heartbeat...Dave wasn't only drunk. He was overdosing. "Don't even wait for me, I'll meet you there...Luka? Are you still there?"

Silence. Dave was being silent. Luka heard nothing from behind him, no sobbing, no sniffling, no harsh breathing, no words, no nothing. He turned sharply towards the open bathroom door, only seeing an empty space where Dave used to be. Then, a door opening and slamming closed, and Luka's head snapped towards the direction of his front foyer. "Shit!!"

He ran out of his room and descended the hallway, emerging into his living room already out of breath from adrenaline, crossing the room to the front door, which he opened with a flourish to reveal the pouring steady rain on the empty street. He stepped out of his apartment building and onto the sidewalk, the cold drops biting into his flesh, but that was the last thing on his mind as he called out Dave's name, glancing in both directions on the sidewalk. "Dave!!" Damn it, where the hell could he have gone? He only had a few minutes on Luka. But the older man was hardly dressed to go hunting for the lost resident, and by the time he pulled on warm clothes, socks and shoes, and his coat...Dave would already be long gone. He probably already was.

"Luka, what's going on??" He suddenly heard John's voice exploding from the other side of his phone, which was now at his side, though gripped tightly in his hand. He brought the phone to his ear, sighing sadly as he continued to stand in the rain, his shoulders sagging in defeat. "Luka?? Are you there? What's wrong??"

"Carter, Dave's gone," he reported softly. "I turned my back for a second, I...it doesn't matter, he's..." Another sad sigh. "He is gone."

-------------------------------------

And I am prepared now

It seems everyone's gonna be fine

For me, for me, for myself

-------------------------------------

As he was walking through the rain to his home, he was crying. Dave had been doing that a lot lately, and it seemed that each time he hated himself more and more for doing it. Crying was for sissies that couldn't handle the pressure of whatever was going on at the time, or maybe everything that was going on at the time. Crying was what his father had gotten the pleasure of seeing him do every single day when he was a kid, what his father had looked *forward* too every single fucking day. And here he was again, giving his father the satisfaction of being able to do this to him, even in death. God, he would never escape the man he hated.

He realized with dread that the only reason his father would haunt him for the rest of his days was because he was turning into him. After all, hadn't Dave just hit someone he loved today? Hurt the person that meant the most to him? Just more fuel to add to the fire, he thought bitterly, as he neared his apartment building.

Perhaps if he just tried to explain to John what was happening, then maybe he would understand, and everything would be okay. Yeah. Okay. Yeah...he could just tell John what was going on, assure him that everything was okay, and everything would go back to normal, back to the way it was. And they could forget about this night, forget about how Dave had hit him, and everything would be okay, everything would be all right. But even as Dave considered this, he knew that it was out of the question.

A sudden pain ripped through him, causing him to double over, clutching his stomach and the side of the hallway of his apartment building. He hadn't remembered walking inside, but he was there, out of the rain, dripping puddles of water all over the hardwood floor while he felt as if he were going to vomit any second. Taking deep breaths, he stood upright slowly, testing out his bearings before going any further. But it came again, shortly thereafter, and he was forced to pause in his walk, though he was at his apartment door now.

Ringing the doorbell of his own apartment, he found it increasingly hard to breathe as sweat began forming over his brow. He was probably just panicking, he thought, but panicking over what? Over the fact that John might not ever want to see him again, he decided. Oh God. What if John really never *did* want to see him again? He jabbed at the doorbell one more time before reaching into his pocket and extracting his keys. With shaking hands, he finally got the front door open after several attempts and several minutes, and then stepped inside the dark apartment, hastily closing the door behind him.

"John?" he gasped, the word strangled in his dry throat. He turned in the darkness, but when he took a step forward he found himself unimaginably dizzy and had to reach out to grab onto the end table near the couch in order to steady himself. God, he thought as it became harder and harder to get air with each passing second. It felt as if someone was squeezing the life out of his heart. "John!"

With an overwhelming sense of dread, he realized that John was gone - forever. But he wouldn't accept that. Maybe, maybe if he just made it to the bed, he could go to sleep, and when he woke up, John would be next to him, and everything would be okay. It would be a new day, and he would be a new person, and what had happened tonight would be nothing more than a memory to be forgotten. He just had to make it to bed, he needed to make it to bed...

But he would never make it to the bed. He would never even make it to the bedroom. David Malucci would die tonight, soaking wet and collapsed on the living room floor, staining the clean carpet in his death, nothing more than a mess of the man he would like to think that he used to be. And he realized this with regret, saddened deeply by the fact that he would never get to see John again, and he prayed to God that the Chief Resident would save him. Just save him long enough so that he could apologize to him, to the one person he loved. With that, he found it kind of funny that the thought of John first and God last, but he didn't have time to ponder the thought as his eyes slid closed and he gave in to the permanent darkness, a darkness that was more comforting than anything he had ever known in his entire twenty-eight years on this earth.

And David Malucci was finally at rest.

-------------------------------------

And I am fine...again

-------------------------------------
Chapter Fourteen - Break Her Fall by The She Devil
------------------------------------- Chapter Fourteen: Break Her Fall -------------------------------------

Rain

Coming to cleanse

Will she fall?

Stares

Into the wind

And she cries

-------------------------------------

What the hell had he been thinking?

John Carter had been asking himself that same question over and over again since he'd so *stupidly* confronted Dave in the bathroom just hours earlier. John could remember his own intervention at the ER, when his coworkers and friends had approached him about his drug addiction. They'd been considerably patient with him during the whole thing, and John had walked out on them, what made him think Dave wouldn't do the same, especially with the way John had approached him? He'd just had this idea implanted in his mind that Dave would crack and ask John to save him, but of course Dave wouldn't do that! Dave was...well, he was just Dave! The younger man could barely ask for help about a patient in the ER, let alone asking for help for himself!

He knew how Dave could get, but yet he hadn't even tried to reason with the younger man before badgering him with questions and sarcastic remarks. God, he thought again, for the billionth time that night. What the hell had he been *thinking* when he'd found those pills? He probably hadn't even been thinking at all. He'd just walked back into the living room, rejoining Dave on the couch, and then began asking him all those questions. He'd angered Dave enough after that, but instead of leaving it alone or trying to talk to Dave after the younger man had calmed down, he'd decided that the night wasn't over just yet after hearing the younger man searching for his pills in the medicine cabinet.

"Looking for these?" he'd asked oh-so haughtily, even giving the pills a little shake.

Dave had turned, surprised, visibly paled and wide-eyed. "Uh...I just...my ribs were bothering me. I was just going to take a painkiller before I go to bed."

"Really? Hmmm, which one?" John then asked, as Dave reached for the bottle, but the older man only backed up, keeping them out of his reach. "No, I'll get it for you. What do you want? Demerol? Percocets? Or maybe the Vicodin that Weaver gave you? Or maybe you want something to mellow you out after that argument we just had...how about a Xanax or a Klonopin? Or perhaps you want a pick-me-up, so we can lose ourselves in great sex. Isn't that what the Dexedrine is for? Give me a clue here, Dave, which pill do you want?? Maybe you want a few of each. What do you say, Dave? How about a cocktail??"

"I..." Dave tried, reaching feebly for the pills again, though John just took another step back. He could see that Dave was trying to search for an excuse, though the younger man just replied with: "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You don't know what I'm talking about? You don't know what I'm *talking about*??" John yelled, twisting off the cap roughly and spilling some of the pills out onto his palm, holding them out for Dave to see. "I'm talking about this, Dave!" He threw the pills into Dave's chest, whose expression showed his horror. "I'm talking about *this*!!"

"John, stop it!" Dave said, desperation laced in his voice. "It's not what you think!"

"Then what is it?" John asked, his words beseeching, his eyes begging Dave to prove him wrong, though he knew the younger man could not do that. His voice was almost a whisper as he repeated: "Dave, please, tell me, what is it??"

"I just..." He opened his mouth but no words came for several moments. Then, finally, his shoulders sagging with defeat: "Sometimes, I just...need to...you know, just...take something to...to get through a shift, that's all. I just...I need it, I...I..."

"You need it," John repeated, remembering himself saying those words to his coworkers - to his friends - not so long ago. And as desperately as he wanted to believe Dave, his rationality and fear for Dave's being could not do that.

"Yeah," Dave replied, reaching for the pills once more, but John took yet another step back. This time, Dave did not relent, reaching for the pills once more, missing and grabbing John's wrist instead. "John, I need those pills. Please, give them to me."

"I can't do that, Dave," John said, maneuvering himself and Dave at the same time back towards the toilet. If he could flush them down the toilet, then it would be one less thing to worry about; he knew he'd have a hard time getting Dave to the hospital, he didn't need to worry about the younger man getting to the pills in the meantime. But he wouldn't be able to get the pills in the toilet unless Dave let go of his wrist - the younger man easily overpowered him. "Dave, let go."

"No, not until you give me the bottle," Dave said, as he reached for it with his free hand, but John grabbed the pill bottle with his own free hand and quickly it towards the open toilet. "No!"

"Dave, let go!"

They were wrestling now, John's other wrist clasped in Dave's hand as well, one arm twisted up in the air. Dave let go of John's empty hand, making a move for the pills again, but John used his now free hand to push the younger man away. He fell into the sink, the counter painfully hitting the base of his back, but he had still been holding onto John's wrist, so the older man went with him.

"*You* let go!"

"No, I can't do that, Dave. You need help..."

"Help?!"

"Yes! You need help," John repeated desperately, staring Dave straight in the eyes. "You're an addict, Dave."

Then they switched places, John against the counter and Dave standing flush to him, John holding onto Dave's free hand, the Junior Resident's other hand grasped firmly around John's, which was holding the bottle of pills. John could see the look of desperation in Dave's eyes, a look he had seen in his own reflection a few weeks before his trip to rehab in Atlanta.

"What?" Dave said, and John could almost see the word running around through Dave's head. "I'm not...I'm not an addict. I just..."

"Then prove it, Dave," John suddenly challenge, interrupting him. "Prove it, and let me go." Dave stopped his struggle suddenly, but he wouldn't look at John. "Prove it, Dave...come on, prove me wrong, I want you to. Please, prove me wrong."

Dave's breathing was heavy and erratic, sweat pouring off of him as his gaze shifted from John's hand to John's eyes. Slowly, he released his viselike grip from John's wrist and took a step back, looking as if he wanted to say so much, but all he ended up saying was: "See?"

John let out a breath that must've started at his toes, saying, "Good...now let's go talk about what we need to do."

"What?" Dave asked, his expression showing his puzzlement. "What we need to do? What do you mean?"

"Dave, you need help," John said, his tone suggesting his urgency. "You're abusing addictive medications...several medications. We need to work out how we're going to deal with this."

Dave's posture stiffened slightly, and John immediately knew that it wasn't going to be that easy. "Hey! Don't project your fucking problems on me! *You're* the addict! Hell, I just proved to you that I was okay," Dave said, his voice shaking with anger. "So just give me the fucking bottle and shut up!"

"Okay...fine," John said calmly, holding up his hands in surrender. "But...if you're okay then you don't mind if I dump the pills, right?"

"No!" Dave said, as if the notion were incredulous. "You said all I had to do was let go, and I did! So - I - just - give me the fucking pills!" Dave yelled, his face contorted with anger as he grabbed John, who was terrified now, because he wasn't sure what Dave might do if he didn't get the pills.

That's when he found out.

In an instant, John was shoved roughly into the wall and hit seemingly at the same time, though he wasn't sure how that was possible. He slid to the floor, his eyes closed and his now empty hands shielding himself in case of another blow. When none came and all he heard was complete silence, John opened his eyes and could see Dave picking up the pills that John had thrown at him moments earlier. In shock, unable to move or speak, John just sat there on the floor, leaning against the wall behind him, watching his lover crawl across the floor, mumbling to himself words that were unintelligible or inaudible to John. He watched as Dave slowly stood, stumbling slightly as he reached into the now full bottle and pulled out several pills, only hesitating slightly before he popped them into his mouth before closing his eyes and dropping his head forward. Suddenly, Dave's eyes opened, and he turned to face his lover, the younger man's expression showing his horror at what he had just done.

"Oh my God," he whispered, tears forming at his eyes as he looked away.

"Dave..." John started, but the younger man suddenly bolted out of the bathroom. "Dave!!" John scrambled to his feet and fled from the bathroom as well, but Dave was fast and was already out the door by the time John got into the living room. The door slammed shut, and then John heard the key turning in the door. "No, no, no, no, no!!" John yelled, knowing that the bottom lock on the door was a regular one, but the one above it was one that you had to have a key to open from either the outside *or* the inside. "Shit!" he yelled, after reaching the door and finding it already too late.

By the time he had gotten his keys from his dresser, all the way in the bedroom, Dave was already gone. John could not see him on the sidewalks near their apartment building, nor could he find him when he got into his Jeep and drove around the block. After several moments of this, he decided to call Abby, who was working that night.

"He hasn't come here," she'd reported, the curiosity in her tone apparent. "Is something wrong?"

"I don't know," he'd replied. "Just...call me if he comes by, okay?"

He'd almost hung up immediately afterwards, just staying on long enough to exchange goodbyes. Where the hell could Dave have gone, he'd wondered at the time. He'd checked the local bars and even The Game Room, Dave's favorite, but even in Dave's current state of mind, he knew the younger man wouldn't be dumb enough to go there, since it was the first place John would look. After going to several bars, he'd finally found one that Dave had been to - too bad he had just missed him by about twenty minutes, the bartender had stated, deflating John's hope instantaneously.

"Was he drinking?" John asked urgently.

"Shit, yeah!" the bartender answered. "I don't think this was the first bar he visited either, because that guy was fucked up."

John left the bar feeling totally helpless; Dave was drinking, and had taken a handful of pills. God only knew was state he was in. Now, sitting in his car in the bar's parking lot, John had tried to think of where Dave would go to next. He didn't have many friends here, just hockey buddies - but it wasn't as if he would be hanging around them anymore, since the attack. Then it hit him, like a ton of bricks or some other bad metaphor...Dave could be heading for Luka's. And as much as he hated that idea, when he'd gotten there, he was surprisingly unalleviated to find out that Dave hadn't been there. At least if he had, John would've found him and would've been able to get him to a hospital.

He didn't realize how bad his timing had been. Only moments later, that phone call from Luka reporting that Dave was there now, and then, just as suddenly, he was gone. Gone. Just like that. And John was currently stuck in his car, glad that it had stopped raining so at least he could see better as he was driving back home, hoping that maybe Dave was there now, even if he wasn't picking up the phone. He kept calling, though, leaving messages, practically begging for Dave to pick up the phone. When he'd reached the apartment and stepped inside, he'd given up by then, deciding that maybe just waiting there for a while might be the best thing. Dave would come back, he had to. John didn't know what else to hope for.

He began to stick his key in the door when the slight contact pushed it open. Why would his door be unlocked and left ajar? Maybe Dave *was* home! With newfound optimism, John pushed open the door with a flourish, turning on the light beside it and stepping inside the apartment, calling out his lover's name.

"Oh my God..."

He forgot to breathe. His heart forgot to beat. Time forgot to carry on. Because there, lying on the floor of the living room, curled up in a fetal position, lay Dave Malucci, soaking wet and not moving - not breathing. God...oh, God...

What the *fuck* had he been thinking?

-------------------------------------

Her tears mark every time

That I swept the pain aside

Too much to withstand

-------------------------------------

"He was fine today," Abby Lockhart said, her voice thick with emotion. "We went out to lunch at Doc's. We talked and joked around, like always. He smiled, he laughed, he was happy...at least I thought he was happy..."

Cook County General had received the call-in from the paramedics about seven minutes ago. They were bringing in an overdose, and at first, Abby Lockhart - who had been the one to take the call at admin - hadn't thought anything of it. But then they'd told her who exactly *was* overdosing: Dave. Her friend Dave. Dave, who she'd gone to lunch with today. Dave, who had hit on her several times today, jokingly, of course, because he was hopelessly in love with John. Dave, who had laughed today. Dave, who had smiled today. Dave, who was fine today, but obviously wasn't, because he was overdosing - dying - and the paramedics were bringing him in.

The young nurse had immediately run to Dr. Weaver, who had been taking her break in the Lounge. The only thing she could do at first was tell the older woman that the paramedics were bringing in an overdose, ETA ten minutes. But her tone had suggested that it was much more complicated than that.

"What's wrong?" Kerry had asked, searching Abby's eyes, which were brimming with tears. The younger woman opened her mouth to say something, but no words came, only heavy breathing coupled with a terrified frozen expression. The Chief of the ED approached the nurse tentatively then, asking quietly: "Abby, what's wrong?"

"It's...it's..." She seemed as if she were about to burst into tears, and Kerry was already afraid before she even knew what was really going on. But she knew whatever news the younger woman was about to deliver she wasn't going to like at all. Then, finally: "It's Dave. They're bringing in Dave."

There was a long pause, wherein neither of them made a move. Kerry seemed as if she were frozen in place, but Abby could see the fear building in her eyes, a fear that was reflected in her own. The nurse was about to say something - anything - to snap the woman out of her trance when the Chief looked away, taking in a deep breath, backing up a bit, leaning heavily on her crutch, one hand moving to her forehead and rubbing it slightly.

"Okay," was the first thing Kerry said, and Abby wasn't sure if it was only because she didn't' know what else to say. "Um...then...okay. Let's go prep a trauma room, and..." She looked up, trying to get her thoughts to process coherently. "Who else knows?"

"I don't know," Abby replied. "I took the call."

"Then...let's not let anyone know who doesn't have to," Kerry replied, her thought processes slower than usual. Instantaneously, she felt everything from the Valentine's Day attack two years ago come rushing back, and while the injuries were different, the outcome could still be the same. And she prayed that Dave survived, and didn't meet the same fate as Lucy Knight. "Let's keep the rumors to a minimum," Kerry had then said, if only to break herself from her thoughts. "I don't want to make things worse."

It had been too late, they'd soon discovered after hearing the buzz of the Rumor Mill in full action. Apparently, someone else had overheard the call, and it was all over the ER within moments. The mood afterwards had been surprisingly solemn - despite some mixed feelings about Dave, it seemed that the staff mostly favored him, even if they did give him a hard time occasionally. Many doctors and nurses inside were standing around in shocked silence, waiting to see for themselves if this was really true about their own Junior Resident, or if a horrible mistake had been made.

All were hoping for the latter.

Now, Abby Lockhart and Kerry Weaver were outside in the ambulance bay, the cold biting at their skin but both not really noticing. The former was babbling, something she often did when she was nervous and scared. The latter was listening, staying silent, something *she* often did when she was nervous and scared.

"Sometimes these things just happen," Dr. Weaver tried to explain, tried to reassure, but she knew that nothing could do that in this situation.

"But *how* did it happen?" Abby persisted, as they began to hear the siren of the approaching ambulance. "How did we miss this? How did *I* miss this?? All the signs were there, Dr. Weaver. He had mood swings, and he was edgy and hypersensitive, and...God, how did I *miss* this?? Dave is my best friend, and I missed this."

Dr. Weaver didn't know how to reply to that, and it was only because she herself was asking those same questions. She'd promised herself after John had become addicted to painkillers last year that she would never allow something like that to happen again. But here she was, awaiting an ambulance that one of her own doctors was dying in, maybe already dead - God, she didn't even want to think of that, though she knew it was a possibility, only proven so by the crash cart charging in the trauma room.

Moments later, the ambulance pulled into the lot. Abby could feel her heart beating in her chest, as if it were trying to get free, and she took a deep breath to settle her nerves as the rig backed up carefully near the ambulance bay doors. The two ER staffers moved to the back of the ambulance, Abby knocking impatiently on the doors before they opened, and a rush of chaos hit her all at once like a strong gust of wind.

John glanced up from Dave, who he was bagging at the moment, and he looked terrified to say the least. He seemed as if he wanted to say something, but no words came from him, only a look in his eyes that told Abby nothing and everything all at the same time. Then, finally, he managed to say: "It was him...he's the one that's been stealing the pills...it was him...it was him..."

The paramedic jumped in at that moment, after realizing that this usually competent doctor was not going to help with the bullet. "Twenty-eight-year-old male, found in his apartment unconscious and not breathing. We tried to intubate, but couldn't get an airway, even when we tried an NG tube, so we're still just bagging."

"Was he conscious at any time?" Dr. Weaver asked, desperately trying to stay in doctor-mode, though she was having a difficult time doing so every time she looked at Dave's face, the ambu bag over his mouth, his nose bloodied from the attempted NG tube. The younger man was soaking wet, his hair plastered to his head and his clothes clinging to his body. "And let's get him out of these wet clothes! He doesn't need hypothermia too."

"He regained consciousness in the rig about five minutes ago," the paramedic reported as they rushed hurriedly from the cold outside and into the warm ER, Kerry immediately having to bark at the staff to stop gaping and get back to work. "But then he threw up and just went out again."

"Damn it," Kerry said, knowing their chances of a more successful trauma were better when the patient was conscious and alert, but at least Dave had gotten some of whatever he'd taken out of his system. "I want a tox screen and two units warm saline, wide-open. And get a foley in, too. Let's move him on my count. One, two - "

"Wait!" the paramedic said suddenly, moving to Dave's wrists. "Get the restraints off him first, or you'll take the whole gurney with him."

"Why the hell is he restrained??" Abby asked incredulously, glancing up with surprise.

"I told them not to, but they wouldn't listen to me," John said, who was trying to help but he couldn't seem to make himself do what he wanted to. He kept fumbling and shaking, unable to get anything right, and he was beginning to get frustrated. Dave was dying, and the only thing he could do without getting in the way was bag him.

"He was combative," the paramedic challenged. "We had to, he knocked out his IV and he even tried to hit me."

John remembered inside of the ambulance after they had taken Dave on the gurney. About five minutes into the ride, the younger man had opened his eyes, his expression showing his terror. John had immediately tried to reassure him, grasping his hand and telling him that he was going to be okay, but Dave wasn't listening and couldn't breathe, and his brain wasn't getting enough oxygen. He'd began to become combative, his arms flailing as his body tried to "fight" to get oxygen, and it had taken John and another EMT to get him to stay still. Afterwards, the EMT had begun to put restraints on his wrists, insisting that it was the only way. John, however, seeing the pure childlike fear in Dave's eyes, had begged them not to, had begged Dave to calm down, but they wouldn't listen, no one would listen...

"Abby, cut off these clothes," Kerry ordered, after they got Dave out of the restraints and onto the exam bed, the younger man's wrists visibly bruised as he'd obviously tried to break free when he was conscious. Abby immediately leapt into action, cutting away at Dave's shirt first. John watched, knowing that it had to be done and unable to stop it this time. God, they'd see everything, see all of Dave's scars and secrets. "John," Kerry said softly, breaking him from his thoughts. He glanced up at her, seeing the look in her eyes, knowing that she knew the same thing he was thinking. She suddenly broke eye contact then, saying: "Stop bagging so quickly."

"Oh my God..." Abby said, pushing away Dave's clothes, her eyes traveling over the several prominent scars. She glanced up at John instinctively, knowing that he must've seen them by now, but he only offered her a desperate look, silently asking her not to ask him. Glancing at Dr. Weaver next, Abby could see that she too, had somehow known about this, so she diverted her eyes from both of them, concentrating on getting Dave's wet jeans off and keeping her eyes away from the scars.

"Move, Carter," Kerry said then, rolling the intubation tray with her to the head of the gurney. John stepped aside, resuming the compressions that Kerry had previously been administering. Within moments, Dave was intubated and hooked to the ventilator, John setting the controls just to keep himself from going crazy. God knew how long the younger man had been passed out on the floor of their living room, and He also only knew what irrevocable damage could've been done because of it. "Tox screen's back," Kerry reported, glancing at the sheet a lab tech had just delivered. "Oh my God..."

"What?" Abby was the first to ask.

"He tested positive for almost everything we have in that supply closet," Kerry said shakily, noting the different drugs: antidepressants, depressants, and even some painkillers. God...it had been worse than she thought, worse than she could ever imagine. Suddenly, as if on cue, monitors began to blare, and Dave began to seize, startling all three ER staffers into action. "God *damn* it! Carter, protect his airway!"

The Chief Resident removed the ventilator, holding the ET tube so that it wouldn't get dislodged as Kerry administered Ativan to control the convulsions. He studied his lover's face, closed eyes he might never see open again, lips slightly blue from the lack of oxygen he might never see smile again. He couldn't imagine his life without Dave by his side, living it with him. He couldn't imagine never hearing Dave's voice again, never feeling another passing kiss, never seeing another stolen glance, never holding Dave ever again. He just couldn't imagine Dave...gone. God...dear God...

He never knew tears could sting so much.

-------------------------------------

When the rain is coming

She will face it all

It's all on me, all over

And when it's overflowing

Can she break her fall?

Until I deal, I can't move on

-------------------------------------

"Excuse me," Randi heard, and glanced up from the computer to see a pretty woman probably in her fifties looking back at her with the sort of desperation in her clear brown eyes that the young desk clerk saw a lot in the ER. "I'm looking for Dr. Carter."

"Uh...he's not on right now," Randi replied, glancing back down at the computer, knowing that Carter was, in fact, here - as did everyone else on the nightshift tonight. And she knew exactly what had gone on about an hour ago, though the reasons for it varied, depending on whom you talked to. Randi, personally, figured that Dave had probably cracked - it had only been a matter of time really. "Come back at ten, I think that's when his shift starts."

"No, he worked on my son today," the woman persisted, her voice shaking.

"Yeah," Randi snapped, getting a little peeved right now. She was trying to figure out where Dr. Finch's films had been sent, because they'd been misplaced a while ago, and the young doctor had been harping on her since, as if the whole thing was *her* fault. Um, did she *look* like the radiologist?? "Look," she continued. "Dr. Carter isn't on right now, I don't know what else to tell you."

"They said he was here," she declared, her voice taking on an even more urgent tone than before. She glanced around the ER, as if that alone would help her find who she was looking for. "He was working on my son! They...the nurse on the phone said that my son had overdosed."

"Wait..." Randi said quietly, glancing up from the computer once more with narrowed eyes, really taking a look at the woman for the first time since she'd arrived. "What did you say your name was?"

"I didn't," the woman replied. "But it's Rhonda. Rhonda Malucci."

-------------------------------------

Rain

Coming to vent

All she hides

Unable to move

Though we try

-------------------------------------

Her shift had ended a half hour ago, but Abby remained in the ambulance bay, sitting on a nearby bench, her coat wrapped tightly around her, one hand stuffed in her pocket, the other holding a cigarette between her forefingers. She took another long drag off of it before flicking away the excess ash, watching it burn out on the wet pavement beneath her feet. She sniffled, using the back of her hand to wipe away any evidence of previous tears, taking in a shaky breath once she was finished. She began to move the cigarette to her lips to take another drag when she stopped, pausing briefly before throwing it to the ground; tonight's events had taken the comfort out of smoking totally, so much so that she was pretty sure if she wanted to, she would never smoke another one again.

"Hey," she heard then, glancing up to see Luka standing before her, wearing sweats and a tee shirt underneath an open, long coat. "Mind if I join you?"

"No, go ahead," she said, shaking her head as he sat down next to her on the bench, close but not too close. She studied the quiet ambulance bay for a moment, trying to think of something to say, though she wasn't sure what. "I...I know you and Dave aren't close anymore, but I figured just...let you know...what happened...I hope you don't mind that I called you, and...I...I hope I didn't disturb you too much, I know it's late..."

"No, no, you didn't bother me. I'm glad you called," Luka said quietly, hardly able to conceive that when Dave had arrived on his doorstep just hours earlier, it would end like this. If only he'd gotten some sort of warning, if only he'd been perceptive enough to *see* some sort of warning. But he *had* seen the warning signs of an overdose, he'd just chosen to ignore them in the heat of the moment - a moment he could now see was false in its entirety. A sniffle broke him from his thoughts, and he turned to his companion to see her softly crying. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Abby said, wiping her eyes with her hands. She glanced up to the heavens, desperately trying to contain her emotions, though Luka could see that it was not working. She looked at him with a sheepish smile, waving away his concern. "I'm sorry...I just..." And now a choked sob as she lost her composure, the hot tears running down her cheeks freely. "God, I'm sorry, I just...how did this happen, Luka? How could we let this happen??"

"Shh..." Luka said as he wrapped an arm around her, bringing her close to him. He held her small, shaking body for a few moments as she cried openly into his chest, both wondering the same question that she couldn't seem to stop asking over and over again as she sobbed. Soon, she was quiet, but he still held her, and she still grasped at his tee shirt, and neither made an attempt to move. "Do you have a ride home?" he asked softly.

"I took the El today," Abby reported, after sniffling.

"Here, let me take you home," Luka said, standing and offering his hand to her. She began to protest, insisting that her house was across town and was out of Luka's way, but he immediately stopped her: "Don't worry about it, Abby. It's fine."

"Thank you, Luka," she said, giving in as they headed for his car arm in arm, a comforting feeling that she hadn't experienced in a while. She missed this, she suddenly realized, wondering if perhaps she might've even missed Luka a little too. For a while, she'd been sure the one she wanted was John, but since she'd found out that he was unavailable and pretty happy with Dave, she was beginning to wonder if maybe the one she *needed* had been right in front of her all along.

-------------------------------------

Her feet off of the ground

My will can bring them down

If I'd open my eyes

-------------------------------------

He had always expected someone who dressed in bright colors and eccentric styles, someone with short bleached hair and heavy makeup, someone just as crazy as her son. So when John Carter saw Rhonda Malucci for the first time, he was a little taken aback. She was pretty, petite and thin, dressed in a thick red sweater and blue jeans, wearing no makeup, and had dark hair with subtle blonde highlights tied back in a ponytail. And when he looked into her clear brown eyes, John could see Dave's own eyes reflected there and had to look away.

"How did this happen?" she suddenly asked, smoothing Dave's slightly damp hair off of his forehead, being careful not to touch and bother the ventilator. John wasn't sure whether or not she had been talking to him or herself, so he stayed silent before she looked up at him. "Do you know how this happened?" The only thing he could do was shake his head as he stood awkwardly next to Dave's ICU bed, Rhonda sitting in the visitor's chair. "I should've known what was going on..."

"No, Mrs. Malucci, this isn't your fault," John immediately said, but she cut him off before he could go any further.

"No! I should've known! Dave is my son," she said, her voice thick with emotion as tears brimmed at her eyes. "He calls me every Sunday, and we always talk, sometimes for hours. I should've seen this coming...but nothing seemed wrong, he sounded happy, as if his life was finally, *finally* making sense..."

"Mrs. Malucci, no one saw this coming," he said softly, trying to comfort her as best as he could. "Not even me, and I'm...and Dave's...I mean..."

"I know," she said, as silent tears began to stream down her face and drop onto the hospital bed. John remained quiet as he tried to figure out what she might mean, until she looked up at him, her eyes telling him everything without her having to say a word. "Dave talks about you all the time, John. He really loves you..."

"I'm so sorry," John said, his vision clouding through the tears that he desperately fought not to shed. Someone had to be strong here, because he knew if he broke down, Rhonda would too, and the last thing he wanted to do was make Dave's mother cry. "I'm so sorry I let this happen..."

She was quiet for a moment, before she grasped Dave's hand tightly in her own, and said: "You know...Dave always said that being a doctor was the only thing he was ever good at, but that isn't true...he's a good son...he's a good person...he was always such a good person, no matter how much he didn't think so...God, Dave, I'm so sorry..." She sat there for a moment, regaining her composure, wiping away the stolen tears as she watched her son. "When...when is he going to wake up?"

"He should be waking up soon."

"Should?"

"He will," John corrected firmly, hoping to God to let that be true. He didn't dare tell Rhonda that her son may wake up a very different person than before all of this. "He'll wake up soon. In the meantime, why don't you and I go across the street and get some coffee? It's very early in the morning, and I'm sure both of us could use it."

"I don't want to leave Dave..." she said softly, brushing her knuckles over her son's cheek.

"I'll have the ICU nurse page me the minute he wakes up," John said, hoping that maybe the both of them could calm down if they got away from this place for at least a few minutes. Perhaps once they came back, they would have a different outlook on the whole situation, a more hopeful one. "Come on, he'll be fine. Dave's strong, I think we both know that."

"Okay..." she reluctantly agreed, gently kissing her son on the forehead before standing. She took in a deep shaky breath, turning away before she began crying again, and left the room with John, someone she'd been hoping to meet for a while, but never ever like this. She'd been intending to stay the weekend at her son's new apartment for Christmas, and now she found herself praying to God she would still get that chance.

-------------------------------------

When the rain is coming

She will face it all

It's all on me, all over

And when it's overflowing

Can she break her fall?

Until I deal, I can't move on

-------------------------------------

His eyelids were heavy, but he forced himself to open them, and after a few tries, he could see that he was in a hospital room, though something was obstructing his view. He began to contemplate the fact that he might've fallen asleep in an exam room during his shift when he realized that the object hindering his view was a ventilator - he was on a ventilator. His eyes widened in fear and his heart quickened as he raised his hands to touch the tube jutting out of his throat, his wrists throbbing with the movement though he wasn't sure why, and within a few moments he discovered that he was in a gown and hooked up to a catheter too.

Oh, God. What the fuck had he done?

He frantically felt around the bed for the device that had that button on it, so he could press it and call the nurse, and when he finally located it, he wrapped his hand around it and pressed the red button several times in a row, hoping to get a faster response that way. In what felt like hours but had to be only a few minutes, the door opened, though he was afraid to move to see who it was. Soon, however, Dr. Kerry Weaver stood beside his bed, her expression showing her concern, her eyes watching him circumspectly.

"Dave," she said, his name curling into a question on her lips. "Dave, do you know what happened?" She could see the terror in his eyes, and she could see the tears there too, as he silently begged her to prove wrong what he knew had happened, but she could also see that he knew what he had done and what had almost happened. "Dave...you overdosed tonight..." Even though his eyes were now closed tightly, she could see tears slipping down his face and landing on the pillow beneath his head. She began to explain what had happened more specifically, because she had never seen Dave cry, and didn't know what else to do. "Carter found you this morning, you were unconscious and not breathing on the living room floor. An ambulance brought you in, and then Carter, Abby and I worked on you for about an hour. You were transferred up to the ICU as soon as we were finished..."

He suddenly began to tug at his ET tube, and she briefly wondered if it was to change the subject before she brushed his hands away from it, saying: "Dave, stop it. Let me check your lungs first before you hurt yourself. You should know how this goes by now." She unhooked him from the vent, doing the necessary procedures before concluding that he could breathe well enough on his own now. "Take a deep breath. Okay, now blow out hard."

The tube was snaked out of his throat, and he wasn't aware of how painful it would be until it happened, and all he was left with was a raw throat as he retched into an emesis basin, Kerry rubbing comforting circles on his back, asking him if he wanted some water though he declined. He glanced up at her once he was calmed down, wanting to say something or ask something, though he wasn't sure what.

"Is John here?" he finally decided on, his voice hoarse as he spoke.

"Yes," Kerry replied, though he wasn't sure how relieved that made him feel. "He's at Doc Magoo's with your mother."

He closed his eyes, an almost pained expression crossing his face. "You called my mother."

"John said you two were close," Kerry stated softly, watching her Junior Resident carefully, wondering why she hadn't been watching him carefully enough to stop this from happening. "He said that we should."

Dave nodded. "Is she upset?"

"We're all pretty upset," Kerry reported, and he glanced up at her in surprise, his brown eyes expressing his sorrow at the whole situation. He looked away quickly, playing with the edge of the bed sheet, taking a shaky breath, and she placed a hand on his arm, squeezing it comfortingly. "Dave, how did this happen? *Why* did this happen?"

He desperately tried not to cry again, willed himself not to, but the tears streamed down his face anyway, though he wiped away at them furiously. Finally, he gave up, placing his hands in his lap as he allowed himself to drop the fa�ade, looking up at Kerry with the saddest- and oldest-looking eyes she had ever seen.

"I hate my life," he finally said, smiling bitterly, shrugging as if that was all there was to it. "I mean, sure, I love my job, and my family and friends, but...I hate who I am. I mean...I know everyone here thinks I'm a fuck up, and I am...I think tonight proved that...but I do care and I do have feelings. I feel things...a lot of things, and most of them aren't pleasant. Do you know what it's like to hate who you are? It's...it's..." He didn't pursue the thought. "But when I took those pills, I could forget that one little fact, and everything was fine...but everything wasn't fine, because I've hurt so many people...Abby and Luka and...and John..." A choked sob escaped his lips, as he continued. "I'm sorry...I just wanted to forget, I never thought it would go this far...I never meant for it to get this far..."

He buried his head in his hands, his body shaking with sobs as he realized now what he had done to get this far: he'd hurt everyone he loved, including John, who he remembered hitting just tonight. God, John would never forgive him for that, he would leave him, and Dave would be alone. Face it, he thought to himself. You'll always be alone, because you're scarred and broken and no one wants damaged goods. He startled slightly as he felt his boss wrap her arms around him, and he found himself clutching at her lab coat as she smoothed his hair back, whispering soothing words to him as he cried.

"Dave, it's okay..." Dr. Weaver said, feeling tears stinging at her own eyes, and she was thankful that Dave could not see them since she was leaning close to him. She needed to be strong, for she was afraid if he saw her crying then he would only worsen. She smoothed his hair back again, cradling him comfortingly in her arms like a child. "Dave, shhhh, it's okay, it's okay. You'll be okay...I'll make sure you'll be okay...shhhh..."

Finally, he forced himself to calm down as he disengaged himself from her, scrubbing his face with his hands as he sat back against the hospital bed with a shaky breath, trying not to seem too embarrassed, though he certainly was. Who wouldn't be, after crying their eyes out in their boss's chest?

"Uh...don't...tell anyone that I lost it, and blubbered like a baby," Dave said with a small smile that didn't reach his eyes before continuing softly, "it's bad enough they think I'm a no good junkie who almost killed himself..."

"Dave, you're not a no good junkie and no one thinks that." He looked at her, his eyes still glistening, beseeching her for his request. "I won't tell anyone." There was a short silence where neither of them knew what to do or say before Kerry continued. "Do you want me to send in your mother now?" Kerry asked after a brief pause, and Dave nodded but didn't look at her. Then, quietly: "What about John?" He looked up at her in surprise, his eyes se arching hers, though she wasn't sure what he was looking for. He glanced back down after a moment, shaking his head, and she could tell he was trying not to cry again. "Okay," she said, giving his arm another gentle squeeze before turning to leave.

"Hey, Chief?" he said, and she turned back towards him expectantly. "Uh..." He managed a small smile then, though she could see how sad it was. "Thanks."

-------------------------------------

Can the sun break through the clouds?

To reveal what we've found?

-------------------------------------

They were rushing towards Dave's ICU room, being careful not to make too much noise as they walked briskly down the hallway of the quiet ward. John had gotten the page about five minutes ago in Doc Magoo's, barely taking thirty seconds to pay the bill before bolting out the door and into the ER, making sincere half-apologies as he carelessly made his way with Rhonda.

They were nearing Dave's hospital room now, and John caught sight of Kerry Weaver, who also caught sight of him - and stopped him before he could go any further. "John, wait..."

"I got a page," he said, trying to read her ever-impassive expression.

"Is something wrong?" Rhonda asked, worry creeping into her voice as she exchanged glances with both doctors. Her eyes suddenly worried as she clutched her purse closer to her. "Did something happen??"

"No, no," Kerry said reassuringly, shaking her head. She touched Rhonda's arm, leading her towards Dave's room, and John followed close behind, glancing inside the large window that supplied a complete view of the room since the blinds were open. Dave was lying on the hospital bed, and John could see that he was extubated, which had to be a good sign, though he wasn't sure why Kerry wanted him to wait. "You can go right inside, Rhonda."

"What's wrong?" John asked, once Dave's mother was out of earshot. Kerry glanced up at him silently, with dark eyes, and realization suddenly dawned as his face fell and lost all hope, his shoulders sagging with defeat. "Dave doesn't want to see me, does he?"

"John, it's understandable, after all that's happened," Kerry said, and John only nodded, turning to glance back into the exam room, where he could see Dave and his mother hugging tightly. He looked down and away, before glancing back up at Kerry, who was watching him with clear concern in her eyes. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said, quickly regaining his composure, hopefully before she could think about why he desperately wanted to see Dave. He offered a calm smile, watching her watch him. "You're right. He probably wants to spend time with his family, not his coworkers. I'm just glad he's all right."

"Me too," Kerry said, nodding slightly. "But we both know that you're more than a coworker," she said, and John blinked in surprise. "You're his roommate and his friend," she clarified, and he had to fight the urge to let out the breath he had been holding. She reached out and touched his arm, giving it a gentle squeeze before leaving silently, heading back to the ER, where she always seemed to be working. She suddenly turned back to him, with a genuine smile, saying: "You did a good job tonight, Carter."

"You too," he said, before she walked off. He glanced inside of the exam room window once more to see mother and son still clutching each other tightly, and he almost immediately turned away, feeling as if he would be invading their privacy should he watch. He sat down in a chair in the hallway, resting his elbows on his knees and running his fingers through his hair before hanging his head.

Rhonda Malucci was a very nice woman. She had a sardonic sense of humor not unlike Dave's, which she displayed several times as she and John had shared a cup of coffee at Doc's while waiting for her son to regain consciousness. She'd told him several things about Dave that John hadn't known, such as some childhood experiences, where he went to college, what exactly he got on his MCATS - something John had been bugging Dave about since Thanksgiving a few years ago, after he'd discovered the younger man had gone to medical school in Grenada, and contrary to what Dave had alluded to they weren't that bad. Sure, they weren't great, but they weren't that bad, either. As usual, Dave was being really hard on himself.

He'd found out some things about her as well, like she had divorced Dave's father when Dave was very young, though she kept the last name because her own was simply horrid (one which she wouldn't tell him upon any circumstances). He'd learned that she was a physical therapist, part of the reason why Dave had wanted to become a doctor, and he'd also learned that she was the reason Dave had come to Chicago - he'd lived with his father until he was 16 years old. Earlier, John had asked why Dave had lived with his father and not her when they'd gotten divorced, and she'd replied that Dave had had many friends and family members in New York, and her new job in Chicago offered no one they knew nearby. When John had asked why Dave had finally decided to move, she'd only shrugged with one of the saddest smiles he'd ever seen, and had said: "It was just time."

He'd let that answer roll around in his head for a minute, but had decided not to give it too much thought. Perhaps one day he would find out just what she meant. Sighing now, he wished he could be open with his own mother about Dave and their relationship, but he doubted he would ever be able to do that. Dave's mother was understanding and loved Dave for who he was, no matter what that may be. John's mother, on the other hand, had always tried to shape John to who she wanted him to be, which was who she envisioned Bobby would have grown up to be had he lived. But after several failed attempts with John, he was almost sure she'd given up on him. Maybe she had.

-------------------------------------

When the rain is coming

She will face it all

It's all on me, all over

And when it's overflowing

Can she break her fall?

Until I deal, I can't move on

-------------------------------------

"You don't have to stay," Dave said to his mother, who was sitting down in the visitor's chair next to him, in his dimly lit ICU room. It'd taken him a while to calm her down and reassure her that he was okay - not to mention reassure her that it wasn't her fault, which was the last thing he wanted her to think. That had taken a lot of convincing words and maybe even some white lies, though he still wasn't sure just how she felt. If there was one thing his mother was, it was stubborn; she almost kept up as much of a fa�ade as he did.

"I know," she simply replied, nodding. Her eyes were still puffy from crying, and he felt guilty for letting it get this far. He felt as if he should apologize again, though every time he had she told him not to. He'd finally stopped after she'd told him quite bluntly to shut up, in that not-serious-but-serious way of hers. Silence stretched out between them once more, and it almost grew uncomfortable until she said: "John is a very nice man."

"Yeah, he is," Dave said quietly, unable to meet her gaze. He felt tears stinging at his eyes, and he abashedly wiped them away before they could fall. "It's too bad I ruined everything..."

"Dave, you didn't ruin anything..."

"Yes, I did, Ma..." Dave said, barely able to repress a sob. "I ruined it like I ruin everything..."

"Honey, John really cares about you," she stated, trying to calm him, knowing Dave thought he had ruined everything when he'd hit John for the pills. Finally, he nodded, biting his lip in an attempt to stop crying. "Dave, he told me what happened. He knows it isn't your fault, you just have to talk to him." He shook his head then, still unwilling or unable to look at her. "Dave - " She tried to take his hand in hers, but he pulled away, and Rhonda sighed heavily, standing. "Well, if you're going to act like that, I'm going to take a bathroom break."

She glanced back at her son, who seemed so small and fragile in the hospital bed, she could almost imagine him breaking in two. God, she thought as she crossed the small room to the door. How had he gotten this lost? Most of all, how had she missed it? How had she allowed this to happen? She knew Dave had told her this wasn't her fault, had tried his best to convince her, but she just couldn't believe him. She should've been able to see something was wrong, but he put up almost as good of a fa�ade as she did.

Rhonda exited the hospital room, closing the door behind her, silently thanking God for the trillionth time that night that her son was alive and okay. She began to move towards the nurse's station to ask where the ladies room was when she saw John Carter slumped in a chair, his head bowed in his hands. Ignoring her bladder, she sat down next to him, studying him for a moment until he sensed her there and glanced up, slightly startled.

She nodded towards Dave's hospital room. "You should go in there."

Her suggestion seemed to startle John even more. "Dave doesn't want to talk to me."

"He *needs* to talk to you, John," she stated, the desperation flickering in her clear brown eyes. She squeezed his arm reassuringly, before standing. "Please, just go in there. Make him know that everything's going to be all right. Otherwise, I don't think he *will* be all right."

He watched her walk to the nurse's station, probably inquiring where the bathrooms were located, and John sighed before standing as well, crossing the hallway to the ICU room, steeling himself before turning the knob and pushing it open. Here goes everything, he thought, stepping inside the quiet dark room.

"That was quick," Dave said, his voice still slightly hoarse from the ET tube. He turned to face John, seemed embarrassed, and then looked down at his hands, playing with the bed sheet. "Sorry...I thought you were my mother..."

John paused for a moment, trying to figure out what to say, and when Dave looked up at him once more with those brown eyes that John loved, it all came rushing out, his words tripping over one another awkwardly. "I'm so sorry, Dave, that I let this happen...I...I'm sorry. God, you...you scared me when...when I found you on the living room floor...I was more scared than I'd ever been in my whole life, more scared than when I got stabbed and thought I was going to die, so I had to see you, even though I know you don't want to see me...I just had to see if you were all right...I needed to see for myself...I...I'll leave if you want, but I really hope you want me here because I really want to be here...I - I can just sit here, we don't have to talk...I just want to be here...with you."

Dave didn't reply for several moments, but instead seemed to be avoiding all contact with John. And, since he didn't say to leave, John took his silence as an invitation to stay, so he sat down in the visitor's chair, and watched Dave. The younger man's brow was furrowed in deep thought, and he remained silent for several moments more, until then, finally, softly, his voice wrenched with regret, Dave said: "Do you still love me, John?"

At first, John was so shocked he didn't know how to reply, and he sat there in silence, his expression showing his surprise. Upon hearing no reply, Dave looked up at him, his eyes portraying his fear at what the answer could be. And John didn't want Dave to be afraid, or hurt, or anything; he wasn't going to let that happen.

"My God, Dave..." he said, looking straight into the younger man's eyes. "Yes, I do...of course I do."

Dave suddenly winced and looked away. "How could you still love me, after...after I yelled at you and hit you and...hurt you? I hurt you, John...and yet you're still here..."

"Dave," John said. He took the younger man's hand in his, feeling Dave flinch although he ignored it. "Dave, I know what you did tonight wasn't your fault...you need help, and I'm going to get you that help, and I'm going to be there every step of the way, because I love you, and...and I'm not going to let this stop me from being with you."

Dave glanced up, the pure sorrow and desperation in his eyes breaking John's heart. Ever so gently, he reached out and traced the older man's bruised jaw with the tips of his fingers. "My mother loved my father..."

"Your mother divorced your father," John said, and the younger man didn't seem surprised that he knew this bit of information, even though Dave had never said as such. "Your mother knew a lost cause when she saw one."

They made eye contact.

"Do you?" Dave asked, so quietly John almost didn't hear him.

"Yes," he whispered in reply, his voice thick with emotion. "Yes, I do, and you are not a lost cause, Dave. You are *not* your father, no matter how much you think you are. I know you aren't, Dave, because I know *you*...I know you and I love you, and I will love you no matter how many times you yell at me or hit me or hurt me." He leaned down and kissed Dave gently on the lips, but Dave pulled away, trying not to let John see him crying again, fearing if he kissed John it would be obvious. "Hey...come on, Dave, stop crying. Everything's going to be okay."

"Today's a pretty emotional day for me, I think," Dave stated, wiping away his tears, and John was at least reassured to see a small smile on his lips. John moved his hand to cup the side of Dave's face, and the younger man looked up at him with glistening eyes as John leaned down to place a gentle kiss on the Junior Resident's lips. They remained like that for several seconds until Dave suddenly pulled away. "John..."

"What?" John asked, but Dave wasn't looking at him. John turned in his chair, following Dave's line of vision to see what exactly the younger man was looking at: Eleanor Carter, John's own mother, watching through the exam room window, her eyes narrow and her jaw clenched. God, what the hell was she doing here?? "Shit..."

"Tell her it was my fault," Dave immediately said, though John didn't seem to be listening to him as he stood to go speak with his mother. He grabbed John's sleeve, and the older man looked at him with panic. "John, tell her it was my fault," he repeated firmly.

Without answering Dave, he left the room in a hurry, closing the door behind him hastily as he moved to his mother. She turned to face him, her expression cold and hard as she stood there in a fur-collared coat, her arms crossed over her chest, almost daring for him to try to explain. He hoped that he could.

"What are you doing here?" was the first thing he could think of saying, hoping to buy more time to come up with a viable excuse. He contemplated telling her that it *was* Dave's fault, that perhaps he was a close friend who had just overdosed and was very emotional, but for some reason, he found himself unable to do that. He didn't have time to wonder why.

"I've been here all night trying to find you," she stated coldly.

"Mom..." he started, but she promptly cut him off, her voice raising a notch.

"I tried reaching you several times, but you were never home," she continued, her eyes glaring daggers at him, pinning him to the wall. "When I found out that you were here, they told me you were busy."

"I *was* busy..."

"I can see that."

"It's not like that..."

"Is he that man from the party? And the one you moved in with?" she asked, glancing at Dave through the exam room window before looking back to her son. "I knew I recognized him." She then made a sound of disgust. "If you're going to do this, John, you could at least do it with someone of your own...stature, not some Chicago scum that you work with."

"He's not that bad..." John tried to explain, tried to find something to say to make his mother believe in what he was involved with, but the words wouldn't come to him.

"Of course not John," she spat. "He doesn't seem that bad to *you*, because he's manipulating you. You allowed yourself to be pulled into this, but is it the way you really feel?" He was about to reply when she went on, snapping sarcastically: "Oh, don't tell me. What? Do you *love* him?"

"Maybe I do!" he retorted in response, his brow furrowed in anger. "You just have to listen to me - "

"No! You listen to *me*, John," she said, shoving a pointed finger into his chest. "How long do you honestly think this is going to last? I already know the answer to that: until your money runs out or until you stop giving it to him. And when he leaves you, what are you going to do? Run back to your family? Guess what? I won't be there for you. None of us will, we will all be gone."

"As if you ever have," John retorted, feeling his own voice raise a notch.

"Have what?" Eleanor asked, slightly confused.

"Been there for me!" John yelled.

"Oh here we go again." She rolled her eyes, mocking him. "Poor neglected John..."

Knowing that this was neither the time nor the place to have this fight, John quickly changed the subject. "What the hell are you doing here anyway? Since when do you come to visit me at work?"

"I needed your help with a child at the leukemia center," Eleanor said. "He's waiting downstairs for a bed. I was hoping that you could help me find him a private room, but you're obviously still busy," - another distasteful glance at Dave - "so I'll leave you alone with your..."

"Don't," John warned, and his mother only offered a cold, hard smile before she turned and walked away from him, heading towards the elevators. The doors dinged open, but she didn't even look at him before she stepped inside the elevator car. And the only thing he could think about was that if she hadn't already given up on him, she just had right now.

-------------------------------------

And when the rain is coming

When it's overflowing

-------------------------------------

One week had passed since Dave had tried to swallow a drugstore and get away with it. Dr. Weaver had allowed him to be discharged today, against John's will. But she'd reminded the Chief Resident that overdoses *were* usually released within a few days, and he was lucky she'd allowed Dave to stay for seven days. He just wanted to be sure that everything was all right and that Dave was healthy, which she continually assured him that he was. So, now, the two were driving home, in silence. The silence was what unnerved John the most.

He glanced at his lover, who was staring out the window in deep thought; Dave had remained quiet for most of the trip home, and most of his time spent in the hospital since his near-overdose. The only time he'd spoken was when coaxed into conversation by visitors - which mostly consisted of his mother, John and Abby, with the occasional ER doctor dropping by to say hello and get well soon. It was during those visits from the other ER staff, that Dave became noticeably uncomfortable. And although those who didn't know him so well thought that he was being himself, John could tell by the look in Dave's eyes that he died a little more every time one of his coworkers came to see him. It was at this time, the fourth day, he'd asked them to stop coming. It was an order that had been reinforced by Dr. Weaver once he'd insisted on it, and while their coworkers hadn't understood, he didn't care. This was Dave's well being, and where that was concerned, John was less than considerate towards other's egos.

He could understand that Dave was probably a little nervous about going home, about living his life in general - John had felt the same way when he'd left rehab in Atlanta to come back home to Chicago. But he wasn't going to let Dave feel that way, he was going to let Dave know that everything was going to be okay, and no one was going to think any less of him because of his addiction, they'd just be glad that he was alive and healthy. John knew this, he'd lived through it, and he'd survived. Dave was strong, and he would survive too.

"Mrs. Caruso's been asking about you," John said, referring to their elderly Italian neighbor, who loved John and Dave to death since they moved in. "I told her you were in the hospital, and she made you a get well lasagna from scratch. I know I should've waited to try it until you got home, but I couldn't resist, it looked too good. I only had a little though, and it tastes great. I could heat it up for you when you get home, and you could...Dave?"

"Yeah?"

John sighed, wondering if the younger man had been listening to him at all. "Would you like me to heat up the lasagna Mrs. Caruso made for you? You haven't eaten much in a few days..."

"No," Dave said, shaking his head before he leaned it against the window next to him. "I think I'm just going to go to bed if that's okay."

Within minutes they were home, John unlocking the door to their apartment and allowing Dave to step inside first, only seeing then how tired he appeared. The younger man took in a shaky breath before heading towards the bedroom, while John heated up the lasagna in the oven anyway, just in case Dave changed his mind or got hungry later. He decided to nibble on a little, but his appetite seemed to be gone as well; all he could think about was Dave and how sad he was.

Sad. Dave was sad. It killed John to know this, because he wanted Dave to be happy; it was what the younger man deserved, after everything that he'd been through. And, all this time, John had been trying to do that, trying to make Dave happy, or at least as happy as possible. But perhaps what he had to offer wasn't enough...as much as John wanted to be the one to help Dave, he knew when he was in way over his head, and this was one of those situations. Sighing, he decided that the best thing for him to do was to talk to Dave's psychiatrist, the one that Kerry was making him see regularly, his first appointment being in about a week. Hopefully, that would help the younger man. If not, John didn't know what else to do. He hoped that it wouldn't come to that, that Dave wasn't that hopelessly depressed.

His breath suddenly caught and he almost dropped his dish, barely catching it before it slipped out of his hands. What if...what if Dave had done this on purpose? What if Dave's intent was to end his own life? John had seen the scars on Dave's wrists, had seen the way the younger man subconsciously caressed them sometimes. Dave had attempted suicide before, what made John think he wouldn't try it again? He'd lived though and John wasn't even sure that Dave had, in fact, tried to kill himself a week ago, he reminded himself, after feeling the fear gripping at his heart. But Dave was still so sad, what if he tried it again...what if this time he succeeded?

He suddenly needed to see Dave, needed to see him breathing and living and safe. Putting his dish into the sink, John moved into the hallway and soon found himself standing in the doorway of their bedroom, looking at Dave, who was lying fully clothed on the made bed, his shoes kicked off haphazardly on the floor. He couldn't imagine Dave sleeping anywhere else besides that bed, felt fear creeping up on him at the thought that he'd almost lost him, and was glad that he still had Dave. The Junior Resident could've easily died a few days ago, would've been gone, out of John's life forever. Well, John thought as he kicked off his own sneakers and moved into the room. He wasn't about to let that happen again. He would keep Dave safe and make sure that everything would be okay.

"Mind if I join you?" John asked, and Dave shrugged in that casual way that he did. He lay down on the bed, scooting close to Dave but not too close, not knowing exactly how to act with the younger man right now. They lay like that for a few moments, and though Dave was silent, John knew he wasn't sleeping just yet. Then, suddenly, the Junior Resident turned around, facing John and moving close to him, wrapping his arms around the older man and burying his face in his chest, inhaling the scent of his lover. John held him tightly back, a feeling of relief washing over him, though he wasn't sure why. "I think this is what I missed the most," John said, remembered the past few nights, when he had to sleep alone.

"Me too," Dave said softly, his voice slightly muffled while buried in John's chest. The older man kissed him on the forehead, and he heard Dave sigh with content. "I love it when you kiss me."

John smiled, only happy to oblige with another kiss as he held onto Dave with Dave holding on to him, and he hoped to never be anywhere else but here and now, with Dave alive and healthy in his arms, in this bed, together, forever. And while he knew that this was hardly reasonable and possible, he could still dream, and hoped to as he drifted off into peaceful sleep.

-------------------------------------

And when the pain is showing
When the rain is coming
Flowing down

-------------------------------------
Chapter Fifteen - Bound To Be A While by The She Devil
-------------------------------
Chapter Fifteen: Bound to Be a While
-------------------------------

We got the afternoon

You've got this room for two

One thing that's left to do

Discover me discovering you

-------------------------------

"John." Someone was touching him, nudging him slightly, but it wasn't
going to work. "John..." Now the word was dragged out, almost sung,
and whoever had been touching him before was currently blowing gently
on his neck, tickling the fine hairs there. "John, you need to wake
up."

"Why?" he moaned in response, rolling over in bed and wrapping the
covers tightly around himself, burying his head in his pillow. "It's
Christmas Eve, my first day of vacation. Leave me alone."

Dave wasn't back to work yet, since the Chief had insisted on him
taking a month's hiatus to "take a break from it all," as she had put
it, while she decided what to do. At least she hadn't fired him, and
Dave was thankful for that - he wasn't sure what he would do if he
couldn't be a doctor. Sometimes when John was at work he would sit and
wonder about all the "what ifs." What if he couldn't be a doctor? Or
worse...what if he was a terrible doctor and he kept hurting people,
just like he'd killed that kid with Marfan's last fall? Sometimes the
fear was all so encompassing that he would start to shake. Once he
even threw up.

Until Dr. Weaver decided on what to do with Dave, he was to attend the
drug abuse outpatient program at County General, which he had been
going to every day since getting out of the hospital. He hated his
counseling sessions because he hated people butting into his business,
and he certainly couldn't talk about the things that really needed to
be talked about, especially private things that he couldn't even tell
John. So he usually ended up making small talk or making things up,
and he did what he always did: kept everything inside. And he hated
every minute of it. The introductory class, however, had been the
worst: eight hours stuck in that place, doing different exercises and
listening to different speakers.

"Can't do that," Dave said now, to John's previous request, smiling as
he watched him, whose hair was mussed and looked so damn cute right
now. "And two days off isn't exactly vacation."

"Why not?" John demanded to know as Dave dropped Kermit on him, hoping
the fat cat knocking the wind out of him would wake him up.

If not, then this announcement sure was: "My mom's coming over in
about an hour. She's staying the weekend."

"What?!" John asked, startling Kermit and causing him to scurry off to
his usual retreat underneath the bed. The Chief Resident sat up,
glaring at Dave with narrowed eyes, but the younger man seemed
unaffected by this. Or maybe he was, and the innocent smile was just a
cover for that, John added sarcastically. "Dave, why didn't you tell
me? The apartment's a mess!"

"I know," Dave replied, scooting off the bed. "I got up early and made
us breakfast, and then we can start cleaning. It shouldn't take that
long. Besides, my mother's always ten minutes late."

"I bet you told her to come at 11:50," John said grumpily, and Dave's
smile widened into a huge grin. "You didn't! Dave, I hate you!"

"You too," Dave said, blowing John a kiss before retreating quickly
from the room, the pillow narrowly missing his head as he closed the
door behind him.

Within a half hour, the two men had the apartment spick and span:
they'd vacuumed, dusted, washed the dishes, swept the floors, made the
beds, and even cleaned up the bathroom - something that always seemed
to be a mess. Fifteen minutes to spare wasn't a bad time, Dave thought
to himself, remembering when he'd cleaned his old apartment by himself
and how long it had taken, since he was a big procrastinator and
tended to digress from the task at hand several times. So now, after
quickly showering, the two men were getting dressed, John insisting on
wearing something nice while Dave threw on his regular jeans and a tee
shirt.

"Come on," John said, holding out the sweater to Dave. "Put it on. It
won't kill you."

"It *could*," Dave insisted, staring at the chunky blue turtleneck
sweater as if it were Death himself. "I'm not putting that on."

"I even let you open it early!" John said, indicating the gift-wrap
strewn about the bed. He'd been hoping that Dave would wear the
sweater he'd given him as an early Christmas present, but the younger
man would not budge. "It's not *that* bad. It's cute. And it'd look
damn cute on you. So put it on."

"No," Dave said, crossing his arms over his chest. "It looks like
something *you* would wear."

"What's that supposed to mean?" John asked, but didn't get the chance
to receive a reply as the doorbell rung. He looked at Dave, tossing
the sweater at him. "You aren't leaving this room until you put that
on."

"My mom's here," Dave said, waving a hand at the door as he held the
sweater in his other. "She's waiting at the door."

"The faster you get it on the faster we answer the door," John said,
catching the glint in Dave's eye before the younger man hopped over
the bed and rushed to the door. He grabbed Dave around the waist,
pulling him away from the door and pushing him back on the bed,
straddling him between his legs and holding his arms down. "Put it
on."

"No."

"Put it on."

"No."

"Please?"

"No!"

"Fine," John said with a sigh. He stood up, straightening out his
*nice* clothes, and stepped out of the bedroom, heading towards the
living room. He felt a knot in his stomach forming as he got closer to
the door, knowing this wasn't the first time he had met Dave's mother,
but somehow this felt more important. When they'd first met, the
circumstances had been different, and they'd both been worried sick
about Dave, too worried to even think about anything else. So, now, in
this relaxed environment, Rhonda would get to know him, so he had to
make a good impression. And this was making him sick with nerves.

Reaching the door, John glanced around the apartment once more, making
sure everything was in its proper place before he opened it, steeling
himself with a deep breath before doing so. "Hello, Mrs. Malucci." He
made sure to smile brightly.

"Oh, please stop calling me that," she said as he stepped aside to
allow her passage. She glanced around the apartment, admiring the
cleanliness and order of the place surrounding her, and then she
turned back to John, smiling with a grin that was not unlike Dave's.
"This place is very nice. You've even got a Christmas tree! Dave
hasn't had one in years. But the place is still missing something..."

"What?" John asked, glancing around the apartment as if that alone
would clue him in.

"My son," Rhonda replied, and then proceeded to call: "Dave! Where are
you? It's me - your mother?"

"I'm coming!" Dave soon appeared, adjusting the chunky blue sweater he
was uncomfortably wearing, and John found himself smiling widely,
knowing that Dave was wearing it for him. The younger man winked at
John before turning to his mother, hugging her tightly. "Hey, Ma. You
know, there's something different about you..." He stood back,
thinking theatrically. "I know what it is. You're even more beautiful
than when I last saw you."

"Oh, jeeze" she sighed with a roll of her eyes, swatting his chest
playfully, before grinning suddenly. "And look at *you*, so handsome
in that sweater! Finally learning how to dress yourself?"

John's smile widened as he crossed his arms over his chest, watching
Dave and his mother bicker lovingly. Yep, he thought to himself, as
they began to argue over the length of Dave's hair. He was definitely
going to enjoy this weekend.

-------------------------------

One mile to every inch of

Your skin like porcelain

One pair of candy lips and...

Your bubblegum tongue

-------------------------------

Several hours later, John and Dave were curled up on the couch, Dave's
mother in the kitchen, intent on making them Christmas dinner. Knowing
that today was Christmas Eve, John had soon discovered after some
inquiry that it was a tradition in the Malucci family to have the
proverbial Christmas dinner the day before, because neither Dave nor
his mother ever felt like being active on Christmas day. Leftovers
suited them just fine. The Malucci family sure did have a lot of
holiday traditions, but John thought that it was nice to know that
even though Dave had a terrible childhood, there were things that were
nice about it. The Carter family was, however, *not* into tradition -
just old money.

"Dave!" John felt the younger man startle slightly, who had his arms
wrapped around him as they watched a movie on television. "I thought I
asked you to go grocery shopping."

"I did!" Dave called back to his mother, who then appeared in the
doorway between the living room and the kitchen, looking at her son
skeptically. "I did! You can ask John. I'm not lying."

"Well in that case," Rhonda said, holding up a sheet of paper. "Then
you forgot practically everything on the list I gave you. Go to the
store and get me the rest of this stuff."

"It's Christmas Eve. Who the hell is going to be open?" Dave asked,
not budging from the couch. He was very comfortable right now
snuggling with John, his arms wrapped around the older man, watching
Ralfie almost getting his eye poked out on TV, and smelling the
wonderful aromas of his mother's cooking, thank-you-very-much. Rhonda
held up her fist threateningly, though Dave knew she would never hurt
him, and he glanced at John, grinning. "Think I can take her?"

"I'm stronger than I look," she declared. Dave sighed dramatically,
disentangling himself from John and moving to his mother, grabbing the
list. He glanced down at it, doing a double take and gaping. "Ma!
There's, like, five hundred things on this list! How do you expect me
to...? Oh, forget it. I'll be back in - what? Three, four days?"

"Good boy," Rhonda said, smiling as she patted her son's cheek before
moving back into the kitchen.

Dave approached the back of the couch, leaning over it and whispering
into John's ear: "Be careful if she asks you to have coffee with her."

"What?" the older man asked, alarmed.

"John?" Rhonda called from the kitchen. "Why don't you come in here
and lend me a hand?"

Dave grinned widely. "Good luck."

-------------------------------

And if you want love, we'll make it

Swim in a deep sea of blankets

I'll take all your big plans and break 'em

This is bound to be a while...

-------------------------------

Tentatively, John entered the kitchen, pausing in his path as he saw
the coffee maker bubbling away. Good to the last drop, John thought to
himself, before his eyes moved to Rhonda, who was currently stirring
vegetables in one of the several pots on the stove. She glanced up,
smiling brightly at him, and he smiled back, his stomach dropping to
his knees. He desperately wanted Dave's mother to like him, and from
what Dave had said early, she already did, though John didn't believe
him one bit. For some reason, even after spending quite a few hours
with her, he was still nervous as hell, mostly because he felt as if
she didn't like him at all. He couldn't help but feel that she blamed
him for the fragile state her son was in. Why shouldn't she? He blamed
himself.

"Can you do this for me while I check on the ham?" she asked, holding
out the wooden spoon to him. He nodded silently, taking it from her
and stirring the vegetables, pretending to know what he was doing.
Dave was trying to teach him how to cook - keyword: *trying* - but it
wasn't working out too well. He remembered the first time he'd
attempted to make something by himself:

Abby had been over, watching television with Dave, and John had been
cooking something that Dave had taught him weeks earlier. After the
two had been waiting in the living room for what seemed like hours,
both starving because John had advised them not to eat anything, he'd
finally called them in, revealing the lasagna that he'd been slaving
over for a few hours.

"This looks great!" Dave had said, sitting down before his plate, Abby
sitting across from him. John was standing rather impatiently to his
right, waiting for Dave to try it and tell him how it tasted. He'd
taken a forkful into his mouth, immediately smiling. "This tastes
great!" But once John's back had turned, he'd spit it right back out
and into his napkin, mouthing to Abby: Don't eat it! Do *not* eat it!

Against Dave's better judgment, Abby had decided to try it, and had
soon followed suit, spitting it up into her napkin as well. She wasn't
sure what John had done to one of her favorite meals, but if she never
had to eat lasagna again she wouldn't mind. John had been busy
cleaning up before he sat down, half of Dave's plate gone but only
because he'd been sneaking bits to Kermit, who happily scarfed it
down. Well, Dave thought. At least someone was enjoying themselves.

Finally, John tried his own creation. And he'd found that it tasted
*horrible*. "This is so gross."

"Oh, thank God," Abby said with relief, putting her napkin down on the
table. She looked pointedly at Dave. "I thought *I* was going to have
to be the first one to say it."

"I didn't want to hurt your feelings," Dave had said to John. "I know
you really want to learn to cook, and I figured it might discourage
you if your first time turned out horrible." John's shoulders sagged
with defeat, understanding why Dave hadn't wanted to tell him - he
already didn't ever want to cook again. "Hey!" Dave had then said,
smiling brightly. "Kermit likes it, so it wasn't a total disaster,
right??"

And even though the furface *had* liked it, John knew that hours later
the poor guy ended up lethargic, cranky, and *sick*. And John had been
the one left cleaning up after him, because Dave refused to touch
Kermit's puke, even though it was his cat. But it'd been John's fault,
so it was only right he clean up the mess. At least that's what Dave
had said.

"John?" He snapped out of his thoughts, glancing at Rhonda with raised
eyebrows. She cocked an eyebrow of her own. "You were off in la-la
land. Thinking of anything interesting?"

"Uh, no, not really," he replied sheepishly, glancing back to the
vegetables as he felt the heat rise in his cheeks, not wanting to
share that fiasco with Rhonda, who was obviously an excellent cook as
well. Quick, change the subject, he thought. "So, uh...you live in
Chicago?"

"Yes," she replied, nodding, and then seemed to reconsider. "Well,
West Chicago."

"And Dave grew up in New York?" John asked hesitantly, not sure how
far to push but wanting to know more about Dave. Sure, they'd spoken
about him at Doc Magoo's while they'd been waiting for him to wake up
after his overdose, but nothing serious, just wistful memories.
Perhaps this was a perfect time to find out more information.

"Yeah," she answered slowly, almost regretfully. "He grew up in New
York...with his father..." She paused for a moment, lost in deep
thought, her brow furrowed and her lips pursed before she looked back
up to him. "Has Dave...told you...about his childhood?"

"No," he replied, shaking his head slightly. "Not really."

"Has...has he told you about his father?" They made eye contact, and
she immediately knew the answer; he didn't even have to say it. "John,
why don't you sit down and have some coffee with me?"

He swallowed hard, nodding silently. Okay, he thought, this was it.
They sat down at the table, and Rhonda poured the coffee in the mugs
while he stirred in the cream and sugar. Once that was finished, they
settled into their seats, Rhonda taking a sip before setting her cup
back down and folding her hands over the table.

"John...how serious are you about Dave?" she asked, looking him
straight in the eye, but he didn't get a chance to reply before she
started speaking again. "My son has been hurt too many times - more
times than I can remember. I can tell that he loves you, John, so if
you aren't serious," she continued, swallowing hard before going on,
her voice thick with emotion, "please - for the sake of Dave - end it
now."

"Rhonda," John said softly, looking down at his hands. "I love your
son, and I would never hurt him."

"I can tell, especially from the way he talks about you." She smiled
then, a real smile, but it soon vanished as tears brimmed at her eyes,
and then she seemed embarrassed. "Oh, jeeze...look at me. It's not
that time of the month, but you wouldn't know it." She took a deep
breath then, before looking up at him with glistening eyes. "It's
just...we were divorced, ever since Dave was about three years old.
And it was an ugly divorce, at that. Dave's father was a cop and knew
some good lawyers, and since I could barely afford one, he wasn't very
good, and Frank - Dave's father - destroyed me in court."

"Destroyed you how?" John asked, his curiosity piqued.

"I'm a recovering alcoholic," she said with a faux-shrug. "I'd been in
recovery for about 6 years, and I was happy with Frank when we dated,
and I thought when we got married it'd be perfect. And it was...until
I got pregnant. Frank didn't want kids at all, and even though it
wasn't my fault he blamed me and really became such a bastard after
Dave was born. I just...I just needed an escape after a really
terrible fight, so I drank and drank...and then I couldn't stop after
that. I managed to pull myself together when Dave was probably two,
and I found a sponsor who saved my life and taught me that I didn't
have to put up with the way I was being treated. So, I decided to
divorce Dave's father, and he didn't take it well at all...he pulled
out all the stops, and even though he hadn't wanted Dave and even
still didn't, he got full custody of him and I got visitation.

"I hated it," she said, after a pause, "but I needed to move on
despite that. But Frank knew everyone, and every time I moved he
managed to ruin things for me. My sister lived out here and set up
this job so I came here. I saw Dave whenever possible, but he lived so
far away it was hard to find something convenient for both of us." She
laughed then, bitterly. "Who am I kidding? Convenient for me. I was so
self-absorbed in getting past the divorce I didn't...I didn't
realize...I couldn't see...maybe I did see it, but I just - no,
because if I *had* seen something, if I'd known his father was doing
that to him, I would've - I swear to you, John, I would've..."

"I know," John said, as tears fell from her eyes, though she wiped
them away as best as possible. On impulse, he took her hands in his,
looking directly at her. "Rhonda, it wasn't your fault. And I know
that that's hard to accept, because maybe you felt like you should've
seen something or recognized something, but sometimes it's hard to
see, for whatever reason. Sometimes these things just happen. It's
only after we accept that that we can move on."

"I know..." she said, sniffling. "It's just so hard..."

John nodded, hoping to continue this so he could reassure her more,
but they heard the front door open, and soon Dave could be heard.

"Hey, Ma?" he called from the living room, settling his bike against
the wall and taking off his jacket, throwing it haphazardly on the
coat rack. He began towards the kitchen, carrying the paper bag with
him, knowing the only reason she'd wanted him to go was so that she
could spend some alone time with John. "They ran out of everything
except eggs, so that's all I got." He stopped in the doorway. "Where'd
my mom go?"

"Bathroom," John reported, stirring the vegetables once more. "She
wanted to freshen up before dinner."

"Why?" Dave asked, looking over John's shoulder to watch what he was
doing. He grinned. "You stir those like a pro. And my mom never
'freshens up.' Did she cry?"

"No," John said, shaking his head.

Dave looked at him accusingly. "Did you make my mom cry??"

"No!" John exclaimed, pulling a face. "She's just freshening up,
Dave."

Moving into the hallway, Dave heard water running from beyond the
closed bathroom door as he approached circumspectly. Leaning close to
it and listening for a moment, he knocked a few times before the water
turned off.

"Hey, Ma?" he called quietly, but loud enough for her to hear through
the closed door. "Are you okay in there?"

The door swung open and his mother stood in the doorway, smiling
brightly as she smoothed down her outfit, although her red, swollen
eyes gave her away. "I'm fine, Dave. I was just freshening up."

"You never 'freshen up'," he stated, clear concern in his eyes. "What
happened? Did John make you cry?"

"No," she said, exasperation laced in her voice as she rolled her
eyes. She brushed past him and towards the kitchen again, but Dave
gently took her hand and stopped her. "Dave, I'm fine. We just had a
little talk, that's all."

There was a pause that caught John's attention from the kitchen, and
he could see Dave and Rhonda standing in the hallway. Dave's
expression was showing his worry, but he only hesitated briefly before
letting out a deep breath and flashing a small smile.

"Now come on," Rhonda said, smiling as well. "John's stuck in there
fending for himself with the food, and don't think I haven't forgotten
that lasagna fiasco from a few weeks ago."

"Dave!" John called from the kitchen, having overheard. "I can't
believe you told her that!"

Dave laughed as they made their way back into the kitchen, where John
looked up at them, still stirring the vegetables obediently. "Sorry,"
the younger man said, smiling innocently. "If it's any consolation,
when Mom was first teaching *me* how to cook, I nearly burned down the
kitchen." John glanced suspiciously at him with narrowed eyes. "It's
true, I swear."

"It is," Rhonda said, approaching John and glancing over his shoulder.
"You know, John," she went on to say, breaking into a grin. "You stir
those like a pro."

"Rowrr?" they suddenly heard from below, and Dave grinned broadly as
Kermit made his way into the kitchen, walking in like he ran the place
- which he most certainly did. Finally, the furface had gotten out
from underneath the bed! Dave couldn't wait to introduce him to his
mother.

"Dave..." Rhonda said, eyeing the cat, who casually trotted to her son
before rubbing himself against his leg, in seek of his owner's
attention. "Are you aware that there is a cat in your kitchen?"

"Yes," her son replied, bending down to pick the kitty up and cradle
him in his arms. "His name is Kermit."

"Kermit?" she asked, her reaction close to what John's had been upon
learning the cat's name. "And I specifically remember you being
allergic to cats."

"I've heard that scientists are coming up with new discoveries every
day," Dave said, petting the cat affectionately, and it soon began to
purr with contentment. "Maybe someday, they'll come up with something
called allergy pills, and I'll be able to take them so I won't sneeze
and get hives every time a furry animal comes near me."

"Yeah, I get it." Rhonda sighed, tossing John a look that clearly
showed her exasperation towards her son's sarcasm, though John smiled
in seeing the playfulness in her eyes. "So why did you name him
Kermit? He's not even green."

"Sorry, Ma," he replied, grinning, "but they ran out of all the green
ones."

"You bought him?" she asked. "You hate cats, why would you buy a cat?"

"I like Kermit," Dave replied in defense. "And I didn't buy him, I got
him from a patient who couldn't take care of him anymore."

"From a patient?" she asked, as if the idea were incredulous. "Who
knows where that thing has been! He could have rabies or...I don't
know, some other disease cats get."

"Kermit takes offense to that," Dave said, narrowing his eyes. "I'll
have you know that he is perfectly healthy. I had him checked out at
the vet's. He's even had all his shots and vaccinations. He's a very
good cat." Dave suddenly grinned, covering the kitty's ears with one
hand. "I got him some catnip for Christmas, too. But, shhhh, don't
tell him."

Rhonda rolled her eyes as John said: "I swear, sometimes Dave treats
that cat better than he treats me."

"Oh, don't be jealous, John," Dave said, as he began to leave the
room, cat still in arms. "I got you some catnip too."

-------------------------------

Your body is a wonderland

Your body is a wonderland

I'll use my hands

Your body is a wonderland

-------------------------------

"Wow," John said, wiping his hands on his napkin and then tossing it
onto his empty plate. "Dinner was excellent, Rhonda. You sure are a
good cook."

"Damn straight," Dave agreed around the last of his food. "You can
come over and cook for us any day."

"Don't talk with your mouth full," mother reminded her son, who pulled
a face but complied.

During the course of the dinner, John had learned a lot more about
Dave than he had since meeting the younger man. Not by means of
personality or character - he was positive there was no one who knew
the Dave better in that sense besides perhaps his mother. Rhonda had
brought up several childhood incidents that Dave would've rather left
unsaid due to the apparent embarrassment of the tales, and they'd all
talked themselves into several fits of laughter throughout the course
of the evening. It was now late, later than all had thought - so late
it would soon be Christmas Day, something everyone was looking forward
to, especially Dave.

"I don't know about Dave," John said now, pouring himself more coffee,
fearing he might be up all night due to it but knowing that he and
Dave sure could think of things to do during that time, "but I'm
full."

"Dave's never full," Rhonda stated, a smile on her face, and, unable
to speak through a mouthful, Dave shot her a look. Grabbing empty
plates, she stood, cleaning up what was left of the dinner they'd
shared.

"Ma, I'll do it," Dave said - after he swallowed his food, of course.
He began to stand as well, collecting the utensils.

"Dave, let me," she insisted, swatting his hands away.

"Ma, I'll do it," he repeated, more firmly this time. He suddenly
caught John's eye, who then gave him a weird look as he shook his head
subtly. Dave cast him a puzzling glance, but John continued to shake
his head, before looking away casually, leaving Dave confused but
knowing what he was trying to say, even if he didn't know why. "Okay,"
Dave said at that time, though hesitantly so. "You can do it, Ma."

"Thank you," she said with a nod. "Now why don't you go give Kermit
the leftovers and wish him a Merry Christmas for me."

"Sure thing," Dave said, standing as he did so. He grabbed the scraps
from their plates and compiled it into Kermit's food bowl, beckoning
the kitty by calling his name, and soon the cat ran in, immediately
digging into his ham and mashed potatoes. Dave patted his head. "Merry
Christmas, little guy. You have fun." Standing, he turned back to his
mother and John, saying: "I'll set up the guest room for you, Ma. Why
don't you help me, John?"

"Sure," the older man said, crossing the room to join Dave. They moved
into the guest bedroom, the bed bare and unmade; because no one ever
came into this room, neither of them had taken the time to do that
task since moving in. Well, except for when they had the occasional
fight and one was stuck sleeping in here, but even in that instance
they brought their own pillow and usually stole the blanket from their
room out of childish spite.

Closing the door behind them, Dave touched John's arm, causing the
Chief Resident to turn and look at him. Quietly, Dave then said: "What
was up with that 'uh-uh' look after dinner just now?"

"What 'uh-uh' look?" John asked, playing innocent as he began to pull
out the bedclothes and make the bed. Dave moved to the other side of
the bed, assisting John with the task at hand. "I don't know what
you're talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me!" Dave declared, pointing his finger, though
there was no malice behind his accusation, only confusion and slight
curiosity. The older man glanced up, watching as Dave's eyebrows rose
and he stared him down accusingly. "I went to go help my mom clean up
the dishes, and you were there with the 'uh-uh'."

"Oh..." John said, his eyes casting to the bed as he and Dave pulled
the sheets over it. "*That* 'uh-uh' look."

"Was there another one I missed? Yeah, that one," Dave said, pausing
as he waited for John to elaborate. And when he didn't: "Well? What
was it about?"

"Oh," John said, ignoring his lover's theatrical sigh and eye-roll,
also ignoring the fact that the younger man was trying to get John to
look him in the eye. He shrugged almost helplessly. "It's
just...your...your mom just likes to do things for you, that's all."

Dave pulled a face, his confusion showing in his clear brown eyes.
"John, if you didn't notice, my mother wants to do *everything* for
me. Don't you think it'd be nice if I tried to help her out for once?"

The younger man had a point, but John had one too. He just wasn't sure
how to express it, didn't even really want to. And he knew Dave wasn't
going to like it at all. So he stayed silent, shrugging casually as he
began to unfold the comforter and lay it across the bed. Hearing Dave
sigh once more, John glanced up and met his eyes, the Chief Resident's
expression showing his concern. "Look. Your mom...she feels...bad, to
say the least, about what happened when you were a kid. She couldn't
help you then, so she wants to help you now." John was about to
continue when Dave suddenly sat down at the edge of the bed, his brow
furrowed in deep thought. Moving to sit next to him, only then did
John go on. "Dave..."

"Did she tell you something?" he suddenly asked, looking directly into
John's eyes, searching them desperately. "While I was gone, did she
tell you something?"

"No, she just said..." John paused, wondering why Dave was suddenly
panicking over things that John had already known. Unless there was
more to it than that...unless Dave was hiding more than what John had
previously managed to pry from him. Was that it? Dave really trusted
him that little?

"She just said what?" his companion asked, his gaze still meeting
John's. John noticed that Dave, who normally had terrible eye contact,
always locked eyes with someone when he wanted the truth, always
looked into the person's eyes that he was talking to - and it was the
only time he did it. Sometimes it unnerved John when Dave did that to
him, but Dave wasn't going to win this time; John was going to use
this to his advantage and see if he could find out something more to
the mystery that was Dave. "What did she say?"

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?" Dave then asked, confused by the question. He
quickly recovered, however, but not quick enough for John to notice.
"Because...I just want to know, that's all. What did she say?"

Conceding probably only because he was just about ready to give up on
ever learning anything more about Dave Malucci - and because he really
didn't want to fight with Dave right now - John sighed silently and
said: "She just told me about divorcing your dad, and about...feeling
guilty because of your dad abusing you, and the fact that she didn't
know. She feels really guilty, Dave, and I just thought you should
know that...that's why I gave you the look at dinner, I just wanted
you to - "

"It wasn't her fault," the younger man interrupted before John could
get in another word. He glanced up at John, his eyes displaying his
guilt. He didn't want his mother to feel responsible for what had
happened to him, because... "She couldn't have known. I never said
anything. And, my dad didn't...I mean...I lied to her. And he did too.
So she believed us. It wasn't her fault, John."

"I know, Dave," he said, wrapping an arm around him and rubbing
comforting circles on his back. "But...she thinks she should've seen
something, because you're her son. But she didn't, and you...suffered,
Dave, for nearly sixteen years. It's only natural for her to blame
herself."

"But it wasn't her fault, and I've told her that before," he said
quietly, looking away. "It...I mean...it was mine, and she can't - "

"What?" John interrupted, horrified at what Dave had just said. "Dave,
it wasn't her fault, but it certainly wasn't yours either!"

"How do you know?" Dave asked, looking at John once more. "You weren't
there, you don't know what happened...you don't know the things I
did..."

"Dave, your father beat you throughout your entire childhood!" John
exclaimed, incredulous as to why Dave would even begin to think it was
his fault. "Nothing can justify that! Nothing!" Dave was looking away
again, and John slipped his hands on either side of Dave's face,
forcing the other man to look him directly in the eye. "Dave, please
tell me you believe me when I say that nothing was your fault. Nothing
you ever did, nothing you ever said, *nothing* ever justifies what
your father did to you, *nothing*!"

"Sure, John," he whispered in reply, his eyes telling him a different
story. The younger man leaned in close then, resting his head on
John's shoulder for a moment before saying: "It wasn't my mother's
fault either."

"Yeah, but *she* might not know that. Have you ever really talked to
her about it?" John answered, not liking that he could not convince
Dave but knowing that he needed to drop it right now. He could see the
answer without Dave even replying. "You have to talk to her, Dave.
Otherwise...she'll never know that."

Dave nodded silently, before feeling John's eyes on him. Glancing up
at the older man's expression, he did a double take. "Now? You want me
to talk to her *now*? I don't know what I'm gonna say!" John simply
raised his eyebrows, causing Dave to sigh. "Oh, all right, fine..."

"I'll finish up in here," John replied, both men knowing there wasn't
much left to do, but also knowing it meant John would lay low until
Dave was finished speaking with his mother. The younger man stood,
crossing the room, but then turned back to his lover before leaving
the room, his expression showing his uncertainty and his clear brown
eyes showing his guilt. John approached, hugging him gently. "Just
talk to her, Dave. You'll both feel better afterwards. I promise."

"Yeah?" Dave asked, his hesitance creeping into his voice as he looked
up into John's eyes, the older man continuing to be amazed at how
innocent he could seem while still appearing to be so wise beyond his
years.

He smiled softly in reply. "Yeah."

-------------------------------

There's something' bout the way the hair falls in your face

I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase

You tell me where to go, and,

Though I might leave to find it,

I'll never let your head hit the bed

Without my hand behind it

-------------------------------

"Hey, Ma," Dave said, stepping into the kitchen, where she was busy
cleaning up the dishes in the sink, Kermit sitting on the counter
nearby, silently begging for scraps that Rhonda occasionally tossed to
him. She had to admit, she'd grown to liking the little guy.

"Hey, Dave," she said in turn, as he quickly shooed the cat off of the
kitchen counter. Sure, he loved the furface, but he wasn't allowed on
the kitchen counters. People ate there. "Where's John?"

"He's in the bedroom, finishing up," he replied, picking up a
dishtowel and drying the dishes his mother placed in the rack beside
the sink.

"Why don't you help him?"

"It's sort of a one-man job," Dave stated, taking a sideways glance at
his mother, who eyed him suspiciously. "Besides, I figured I could
help you."

"I don't need help."

"Sure, you do. Drying the dishes."

The room grew quiet, uncomfortably so. Mother knew when Son wanted to
speak of something, especially when it was something important. He
became fidgety, often to the point of being clumsy, and when he
finally dropped a dish onto the floor, Rhonda turned to face her son,
whose face was blushing crimson.

"What is wrong with you?" she asked, purely bemused as he bent down to
pick up the broken pieces, rather ignorantly. She knelt down before
him, slapping his hands away as he tried to mumble some sort of
embarrassed apology. "Dave, stop it. You're going to cut yourself! I
thought you were a doctor." She finally got him to stop, and he looked
up at her with the deep brown eyes he'd inherited from her. "What do
you want to talk about?"

"What makes you think I want to talk about anything?" If he'd been
looking up at her, Dave would seen rather than feel his mother roll
her eyes. There was a moment's pause, before he glanced up at her with
a sigh. "Want to have some coffee with me?"

"Uh oh," she said, grinning as she stood. "The coffee tactic. This
must be serious."

"It is serious," he declared, his tone sobering her and wiping the
smile from her face. They sat down, the coffee between them, but Dave
just stared at his mug, moving it between his hands, annoying her
relentlessly until she placed her hands over his, glancing up at him
with beseeching eyes. "Look...I want...when I was a kid..." He let out
a sigh, finally just spitting it out. "I want you to know that what
happened when I was a kid wasn't your fault, because I think you think
that it is."

She drew her hands back as if the touch of his skin burned her,
leaning back in her seat, her expression showing her shock. At first,
she said nothing, and her expression remained frozen in surprise as
she stared at Dave, mouth slightly agape. Dave stared back at her, his
own expression portraying his slight confusion and apprehension as he
waited for her to say something - anything. He could hear the clock
ticking on the wall, John bustling about in the guestroom, Kermit
purring softly at Dave's feet. Waiting. Waiting. And he swore he was
about to scream in the deafening silence unless she said something
soon.

But she didn't say anything.

She got up and left.

"Ma?" he called, watching as she retreated into the guest bedroom,
slamming the door closed. He stared down the hallway for a minute in
surprise. Well. He couldn't say he'd been expecting *that*. Suddenly,
the door opened again, John was pushed out, and then the door slammed
once more. He could hear his mother crying softly inside as John
glanced at him incredulously, and immediately held up his hands
defensively. "I didn't do anything! I just said that whatever happened
when I was a kid wasn't her fault, and...you did this!"

"I didn't do anything, Dave!"

"You started it! You said, 'Dave, go talk to your mom and open old
wounds,' " he retorted sarcastically, continuing on to say: " 'and
while you're at it, why don't you pour some salt on 'em? That'll make
it all better.' "

"I did not say that," John said, brushing past Dave to move into the
kitchen. He spotted the broken dish on the floor, turning to look Dave
in the eye, who had moved back into the room with him. "What
happened?"

"It broke," he simply said, as if that explained everything. He
indicated the bedroom, now. "So what am I supposed to do now? Do you
hear her?? She's crying in there! I hate it when my mom cries, John,
she doesn't deserve that!"

"Well, go in there!" John said, carefully stepping over the broken
dish to get to the broom closet so he could clean it up himself.
"Jesus, Dave, am I supposed to tell you everything??"

"I can't," Dave said lamely, shaking his head as he began fingering
the tablecloth.

"Why?"

"I just...can't." He seemed frustrated as he angrily picked at the
tablecloth, his brow furrowed in deep thought. "She just needs to calm
down and then..."

He didn't get another word out before John spat: "Because it's hard?"

Dave glanced up, clearly annoyed. "What are you talking about?"

"This is what you always do," John pointed out.

"What?" he asked, and then repeated when John didn't immediately
reply, "What?? What do I always fucking do?"

"Walk away, Dave!" John replied angrily. He was sick of Dave closing
himself off from everyone because things were too hard or he was too
scared. He was sick of Dave closing himself off from *him*. "When
thinks go bad or get tough or you're too scared, you walk away and
pretend nothing is wrong, every single time."

"I do not!"

"You do too, Dave!" John exclaimed, exasperated. "You always have.
Personally, I think that's why you became an ER doctor. So you
wouldn't have to deal with tough situations...treat 'em and street
'em..."

"Shut up!" Dave snapped, cutting John off.

"No!" John said, shaking his head. "You want me to shut up, then prove
me wrong...go in there and prove me wrong. Unless you're too scared,
tough guy."

Dave stared John down for a moment, and John knew how much he had to
hate him right now. But he was hopping that issuing Dave a challenge
would make the younger man want to meet it; he could never let go of a
challenge. Then, suddenly, he let out a grunt of frustration before
turning on his heel sharply, and John was almost sure he was going to
go into their bedroom and chicken out and give up. But he watched as
Dave paused at the spare bedroom, knocking, trying the knob and
finding it locked after receiving no reply and before leaning his
forehead against it. The Chief Resident could hear him speaking softly
now, though the words were hardly audible from this distance. "Please,
open the door, Ma. I'm sorry if I upset you, I didn't want to do that.
I just wanted to talk to you. I'm sorry. Please, open the door?
Ma...I'll sit out here all night if I have to. You know I will..."

With a sigh, John joined Dave at the guestroom door, ignoring the
older man's exasperation - which was aimed directly at him. "You
wanted me to do this by myself and now you're butting in on it?" Dave
snapped, but John continued to ignore him as he knocked on the closed
and locked door, saying: "Rhonda. It's John. Open the door, please.
Dave wants to talk to you, and I think you should let him. Stop
ignoring the problem like it's going to go away. It doesn't work like
that. Now you open this door or I'm going to get the key and lock both
of you inside, until - "

To the surprise of both John and Dave, the door opened, and Rhonda
appeared, her mascara running slightly and her eyes puffy from crying.
She glanced at John, then Dave, and sighed deeply, her shoulders
slumping with defeat. "Come in, Dave. I'm sorry, I just needed..."

"It's okay," he understood, nodding as he managed to glance
apologetically and thankfully at John at the same time. Abruptly,
Rhonda embraced him tightly, and he allowed her to do so, melting into
her and burying his face in her hair as he wrapped his arms around her
as well. There was nothing quite like the feeling of your own mother
hugging you. Then, after they disentangled themselves from each other,
Rhonda turned to John, who was about to walk away and back into the
kitchen, and she pulled him into an embrace as well. Dave watched as
John startled slightly but soon hugged his mother back, and for a
minute he felt a little bad for his lover; he knew John had issues
with his own mother, and while he knew this was no consolation, he
hoped the fact that Dave's own mother accepted him would help. She
then smiled at John, who smiled back before he turned back and went
into the kitchen, leaving Dave and his mother alone.

They glanced at each other, seeing the same thing reflected in each
other's eyes. Rhonda wasn't sure how a mother could forsake their own
child for simply being who they were. When she'd found out about Dave,
she had to admit that at first she was a little tentative, but she
would never stop loving her son. Never. And Dave, in spite of all the
anger he felt about his childhood, could never blame his mother. He
could never stop loving her, either.

"Come on," Dave said then. "Let's go in your room and talk."

"My room?" she asked, attempting to break the tension with humor. "I'm
not moving in, Dave."

"God, I hope not." He grinned then, as he sat on the bed, the covers
consisting of grays and pale blues, with splashes of green mixed in
with the pattern. She sat down next to him, studying her son as he
stared at his hands, his brow knotted with thought. He was so
handsome, had grown into such a handsome young man - and he knew this,
she thought with a smile. But despite this vanity he also knew the
clear resemblance to his father, and he hated that, hated it so much
to look like the man that had hurt him so much. "Ma?"

"Oh." Had he said something? He was looking up at her expectantly, so
he must've. But what? "I...I'm sorry, I drifted off..."

"I asked what you thought about what I said in the kitchen." Just like
that. Sometimes her son's bluntness startled her. At least most of the
time he was just trying to be honest and not obnoxious. Most of the
time. "I wasn't just saying it to make you feel better, you know. It's
the truth."

A faint smile. "What brought this on?"

"John," he simply said. No changing the subject, obviously, as she'd
hoped. "He pointed out some things I should've seen...and I'm sorry I
didn't see it, and all this time - "

"Dave, stop it," she said. She hated it when her son was upset; he
didn't deserve that, after all he'd been through. "Why can't we just
put this behind us?"

"Because it's never going to be behind us, Ma!" he said, standing and
pacing the room briefly before turning to her with desperation in his
eyes. "Not until we talk about this!"

"Dave..."

"No! Listen to me!"

"David - !"

"Don't 'David' me," he warned, before signing and joining her on the
bed again. "Look...John was right, we can't ignore this. What Dad
did...it wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known, Ma. He lied, I
lied...and we were good at it. I'm sorry you had to find out like you
did, and I think that's why you blame yourself so much, but I want you
to stop doing it. Dad is doing this to me, not you."

"He's not doing it anymore, baby," she said, placing a comforting hand
on his knee and giving it a gentle squeeze. "And I know it wasn't my
entire fault, but...Dave, stop, and just listen to me. I'm your
mother, and I should've seen something. I saw the bruises, and I
asked, but you always said you were fine and your father said you were
fine too...but you weren't fine, and I believed him so easily because
I didn't want to argue..." She paused, finally, and then looked up at
him, tears brimming at her eyes. "Is doing??"

"What?" he asked, slightly puzzled at her seemingly non-sequitor.

"You said 'is doing this.' What is he still doing to you?" He opened
his mouth to say something, but no words came, only a sigh and an
almost pained expression. "Dave, are you still having nightmares? You
said they stopped years ago..."

"Ma, I didn't want to worry you..."

"Oh, Dave," she breathed, her eyes closing as tears slipped down her
cheeks. He pulled her close to him, as she grasped him tightly, as if
she let go, he wouldn't be there anymore. She suddenly began crying,
apologizing as she did so, and the words barely came out through her
sobs. "Dave...I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry, baby, please forgive me,
please..."

"Ma, it wasn't..." He suddenly stopped, glancing down at her, though
her face was buried in his chest. It hit him hard, the realization
that he'd missed all these years and all the time of telling her it
hadn't been her fault. It hadn't, but that didn't matter; she needed
to be forgiven. It was as simple as that, and he hadn't even known it
until now. "Ma, it's okay, I forgive you. It's okay..."

"Dave, I'm so sorry," she continued to say, her small body shaking.
"Please, forgive me, Dave..."

"I do, Ma, I do," he said, his voice thick with emotion. He swallowed
the lump in his throat as he began rubbing comforting circles on her
back, taking the position she had usually taken with him all these
years. He whispered then: "Ma, I forgive you."

She suddenly stopped, as if he words registered for the first time,
and she looked up at him, her eyes glistening as they searched his.
"You...you do? You forgive me, baby?"

He nodded. "I do, I do...I do..."

"Dave, I..." She let out a sigh of relief that she must've been
holding for over ten years, and she hugged him so tightly he was
afraid she was going to suffocate him. He held her back, though not as
tightly, and they soon separated, his mother smiling sheepishly as she
wiped at his shirt. "Oh, look what I did to your new sweater."

"I'm sure it'll wash out," he said, glancing down at the makeup stains
her face had left in its crying wake. He glanced up at her then,
needing to say something he didn't say very often but knew that he
should. "I love you, Ma."

She smiled, still wiping at her wet face. "I love you too, Dave. Now,
come on. I'm sure John is beginning to worry. Besides, I don't think
the rich boy can fend for himself alone much longer."

Dave grinned. "I can already smell the place burning down."

She opened the door but he stopped her from leaving, and she turned to
face him, glancing at him curiously. "What is it?"

"I...well..." He sighed, deciding to just spit it out: "Do you like
John? Honestly, do you really like him?"

"What if I didn't?"

"I don't know," he replied, shrugging. "I'd still be with him, if
that's what you're asking, but it would hurt me, Ma...I *need* for you
to like him."

"He's good for you," she stated then, reaching out to rub Dave's arm.
"He makes you happy...I like that."

"He does," Dave replied, and then smiled slightly. "I hope I make him
happy."

"I think you do."

"So you like him?"

"I like him a lot."

There was pause, before Dave looked up at his mother and said quietly:
"I love him, Ma."

"I know," she said, smiling softly. "Does *he* know?"

He shook his head, unable to find the words at first. "Yeah, sure...I
guess...I mean...I haven't told him, if that's what you're asking...I
don't know if I can..."

"Why not?"

"You know how I am, Ma..." he said, but it was apparent he did. He
glanced up at his mother, the desperation in his eyes almost breaking
her heart. "How long is this going to last? How long before I fuck it
up or...I mean...what's the point? What's the point? I fuck everything
up, you know that, I've done it all my life. What's the point if I'm
just going to do that here?"

"The point is to be here now," Rhonda replied, taking his hand in
hers. "Don't be afraid to tell someone how you feel, because it could
be too late by the time you do. That's what will...screw it up, Dave.
Not you, *never* you...and watch your language."

He smiled then, as they began to finally leave the room, before he
leaned close to her and kissed her on the cheek. "Thanks, Ma," he
whispered into her ear. "I love you."

"I love you too, Dave," she replied. "Now come on, I think I really
smell something burning now and this apartment has to cost you a
fortune."

"It sure does," Dave said, nodding with a smile, because although his
part of the rent was smaller than John's it still put a strain on his
wallet. "It sure does..."

-------------------------------

You want love, we'll make it

Swim in a deep sea of blankets

I'll take all your big plans and break 'em

This is bound to be a while...

-------------------------------

"So how do you like my mom?"

"She's really nice," John replied, as they lie in bed, wrapped in each
other's arms. The room was very dark, and John knew Dave liked it that
way - the younger man even covered up the digital clock on the stereo
with a towel because he claimed the light was really bright and he
wouldn't be able to sleep because of it. And John knew from experience
Dave wouldn't sleep until that stereo light was covered completely,
along with all the windows, and the door had to be shut too, so the
hall light wouldn't creep in. He could, however, stand the small alarm
clock since the light was red and didn't reflect much. At first John
thought that it was because the light simply bothered Dave while he
was trying to sleep, but after noting that Dave would barely undress
in front of John and wouldn't even have sex without the lights off he
realized it was because of his scars. John had thought of mentioning
it before, but thought that perhaps it didn't matter if he didn't mind
them - it could've been that Dave didn't want to see them himself.

"She's a lot like you," John said now, chasing his previous train of
thought away. "I like her."

"You like me."

"I love you," John corrected, hoping to receive the traditional reply,
and even while he knew he wouldn't he was still slightly let down,
just as he was every time. He knew Dave loved him; even if the younger
man couldn't say it, he *knew* that...but there was always this little
voice in the back of his mind that questioned the fact that Dave
couldn't say it. If he really loved him, he could easily say it,
couldn't he? Annoying voice. He told it to take a hike before he
kicked its ass. It promptly shut up. "You keep looking at the clock."

"It's almost Christmas," Dave replied, and John could feel him smile
against his chest, which Dave was partly resting his head on.
"Tomorrow is going to be the best Christmas ever."

"You sound like a little kid," John said, chuckling softly as he
rubbed his hand up and down Dave's muscular back. God, he loved the
feeling of Dave's strong body under his fingertips - under *him*.
"Hey, you think...?"

"No, too tired," Dave interrupted before John could finish the
thought, and John knew Dave *had* to be exhausted if he was turning
down sex. But he obviously wasn't *that* tired... "We could make out."

John had to laugh. "Sometimes I think you really *are* a little kid.
Get over here."

Grinning, they found each other's lips in the darkness through sheer
familiarity, and kissed each other hard, their teeth clinking together
but neither of them noticing. Dave did a quick skim-and-grope on John,
just to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be, and
after that he pulled away, nuzzling his head in the older man's chest,
who grinned softly. Dave may not like to admit it, but he was as just
as much of a cuddler as John was.

"Hey," John suddenly said, remembering something, and Dave replied
with another "Hey" before he could get anything else out. "You said
tomorrow was going to be the best Christmas ever," the Chief Resident
stated. "Did you have any good Christmases when you were a kid?"

"Once," he said after a minute of short silence, where John presumed
Dave had thought it over. The older man stayed quiet, hoping that Dave
would elaborate so John could find out more about the younger man. "I
always used to go to my mom's for Christmas, or I'd stay with my dad,
but I remember one time my mom came to New York and stayed for a
couple days. Both my parents had to pretend to be nice to each other
and my dad had to pretend to be nice to me, and when we ate dinner
that night, talking and laughing, it was...I don't know, it was like
for one night...I got to pretend that we were a family, and that we
were happy."

"Sounds really nice."

"It *was* really nice."

"What makes you think this one's going to be better?"

John could feel more than see Dave look up at him in the darkness, and
soon he felt Dave's forehead leaning against him and feel the younger
man's hot breath against his own. "That wasn't real, John, and this
is. You're real, we're real...this...this is real, and it'll be real
tomorrow and the next day, and..." He trailed off, and then whispered:
"I love that...I love knowing you'll be here tomorrow, John. Even if
it doesn't last forever, I love knowing that you'll be there
tomorrow..."

"I'm not going anywhere, Dave," John said softly. "Not tomorrow, not
the day after, or the day after that. I promise. I'm here to stay...as
long as you want me."

"That's what I love," Dave whispered. "And that's what makes this the
best Christmas ever."

John's grin threatened to explode off the sides of his head as he
slipped his hands on either side of Dave's face and pulled him into a
kiss, because if he hadn't been sure that Dave loved him before, he
sure as hell was now. And he said the only three words he could think
of right now, as he glanced at the clock and realized what time it
was.

"Merry Christmas, Dave."

-------------------------------

Your body is a wonderland

Your body is a wonderland

I'll use my hands

Your body is a wonderland

-------------------------------

He's dreaming again. It's always the same. The house is dark, so dark,
just like it always is. He can't see where he's going, but that
doesn't matter because he knows where to go by now. He doesn't even
have to follow the whimpers and screams anymore. But no matter how
fast he goes, how expertly he travels these halls, he never gets there
in time to save him. Never.

It's always the same.

He's running, but yet he's not. He's sweating, but yet he is not.
Everything is slow and cold, a cold so deep it seeps into his bones,
and he's almost afraid that when he wakes it will remain, and he'll
never feel the warmth of love again.

Love. Love. There is no love in this house now, only terror. Pain.
Guilt. But only he feels guilt, because he cannot save him. Never gets
there in time. Ever. Always too late. Always.

Always the same.

He's approaching the door. Sees the light creeping out from under it.
Hears the cries, the heart-wrenching cries. Oh, God, how he cries...

His own vision blurs; tears coming to his eyes. And abruptly, the sobs
from beyond the door cease, and he knows he is too late. Expected it,
but yet it always hurts the same, and his guilt deepens. His heart
breaks.

He doesn't want to open the door, but he does - he can't stop himself.
Can't. Turning the knob, he slowly pushes the door ajar, his nose
picking up the familiar scent - blood. So much blood, all over the
room: the floor, the walls, the...the bed. The bed where the body lay
facedown, always face down. Always.

Because it's always the same.

He cries now, barely able to cross the short distance to the bed, only
hesitating slightly before touching the body. Oh, Jesus, it's still
warm, still so warm. He would think he was alive had he not known the
man was dead. He knew. Didn't know how or why, he just knew. And he
picked the body up, cradling it in his arms, whispering that it was
going to be okay, though he knew it wasn't. It never would be, not
until he made it in time, but he knew that that would never happen.
Because it never did. Never. Never...

And it was always the same.

---

Damn baby

You frustrate me

I know you're mine, all mine, all mine

But you look so good it hurts sometimes

---

John Carter awoke with a start, gasping for air as if he'd been
physically hit. He didn't know what time it was, but by the extreme
darkness he could guess it was just before dawn. Not caring to look at
the clock to see if he was right, needing to see if his lover was all
right first, he turned on the light and glanced at Dave's still form.
There he was, living and breathing and unharmed, sleeping peacefully
beside the Chief Resident. Safe. Thank God he was safe, though John
wasn't sure why he wouldn't be. The nightmare had taken his
rationality away for now, and briefly he hoped that Dave wasn't having
a similar dream. He knew how they haunted the younger man so.

He tried to fall back asleep after assuring himself that nothing was
going to happen to Dave, but his attempts were vain and eventually he
gave up, turning the light back on. And he sat there with the light on
for a long time, ending up watching Dave sleep, until the younger man
began to stir at about nine o'clock. He inhaled heavily, letting it
out with a deep yawn as he stretched before finally opening his eyes
slightly to glance at John.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey."

"What time is it?" he asked, closing his eyes again and turning
slightly onto his stomach, partially burying his head in his pillow.

"About nine o'clock."

"Mmm..." Dave cracked his eyes open again, glancing at John before
closing them again. "What were you doing?"

"Watching you sleep."

Open again. "Why?"

"Because it's romantic."

Closed again. "It's romantic to watch your boyfriend snore and drool
in his sleep?"

"You don't drool," John pointed out.

"No," Dave agreed, and then suddenly grinned. "But you do."

John rolled his eyes, nudging Dave slightly. "So romantic."

"Hey, I can be romantic," Dave said, mock-defensively. "I speak
Spanish. I can whisper sweet nothings into your ear."

"Oh, really?" John challenged.

"S�, Se�or," Dave said, pulling John close and leaning into his ear,
then whispering huskily, his voice laced with desire: "Quiero t�
pene."

"What does that mean?" John asked, pulling away slightly.

"I want your penis."

John chuckled as he kissed Dave. "You're right. Very romantic."

"I've been practicing," Dave said, kissing John back. If Dave had
anything, then it *was* practice. He knew tricks and positions that
John had only heard of in bad pornos, and he hadn't even known they
were possible until Dave had showed him. And right now, Dave was
trailing kisses down John's jaw, to his neck, over his chest and right
to his nipple, swirling his tongue around the areola before biting the
hard nub and pulling gently, knowing full-well that that drove John
absolutely wild. "You like that, don't you?"

"God," he managed to breathe in one quick burst as he felt Dave's hand
slip into his sweatpants and enclose around his member, his hand
working at pumping him hard while his mouth still worked at his chest.
He moved now away from John's nipple and to the other one, repeating
the process before trailing his tongue up his neck ever so lightly,
enclosing his mouth over John's and clashing tongues with him. Dave
was always so horny all the time it still managed to amaze John every
time the younger man woke up in the middle of the night and turned the
light on, flashing the older man that smile that he knew would get him
something at two AM, even if John had an early shift.

"Voy a hacerle grita," Dave whispered into their kiss, "Otra vez y
otra vez y..."

John had no idea what he was saying, but he could be talking about
lower GI bleeding and he wouldn't care, just the sound of Dave's voice
in his ear and the feel of Dave's hand on his hot cock were enough to
get him involuntarily bucking his hips off of the bed and moaning, his
head tipped back and his heels grinding into the mattress.

"Merry Christmas, boys!!"

So abruptly it caused him to gasp, Dave's hand jerked away from his
penis and he glanced up to see the younger man sitting up in bed,
trying his best to cover himself with whatever blankets were left on
the bed after their short-lived romp. Following suit before he really
knew what was happening, John glanced up to see Rhonda standing
not-so-innocently in the doorway, one hand to her mouth to cover her
mock-surprise, and she offered an insincere apology before ducking out
and closing the door, laughing as she did so.

John's expression showed his horror. "Your mom just walked in on us as
you were...to me...and..."

"I know." Dave sighed, running his fingers through his hair before he
turned to face John, shaking his head. "She did that on purpose, you
know."

"Why would she do that??"

"Because she wanted to embarrass us."

"Well, it worked!"

"Yeah," he agreed, flopping himself back onto the bed, still shaking
his head in disbelief. "I'm not going to be able to do this in here
knowing she could barge in at any moment - and knowing that she
*will*."

"Well..." John said, his turn to lean close to Dave. "There is *one*
place we can go that has a lock on the door..."

"Where?"

John moved towards Dave's mouth as if to kiss him, but pulled away
teasingly, Dave trying vainly to catch his lips with his own, and John
leaned to Dave's ear instead, whispering: "The main shower..."

"You are so fucking sexy," Dave said, puling back slightly so he could
offer a naughty grin that was returned by his companion. He quickly
pulled John into a deep kiss, savoring it for a moment before climbing
out of bed and moving faster than John had seen him move in a while.
Grinning, he grabbed Dave's outstretched hand and they moved into the
hallway, rushing into the bathroom, and Dave called hastily to his
mother in passing: "Hey Ma we're going to take a quick shower before
breakfast see you later bye!"

They barely had the door closed - and locked - before they were all
over each other. Dave's mouth over John's, who was pressed up against
the back of the door, his hands pushing up Dave's shirt to feel the
younger man's broad chest and shoulders. Oh, he loved those shoulders.
Dave, meanwhile, had his arms wrapped around John, one traveling
downwards to cup his ass through the fabric of his sweatpants and the
other on his back, all while leading them towards the shower. Blindly,
he reached out and banged his hand into the shower door, pulling back
with a curse.

"Wait," he breathed, turning on the shower and quickly stripping off
his beater and boxers, throwing them to the floor as John pulled off
his sweatpants, allowing them to mingle with Dave's underwear. Soon,
John felt himself being pulled into the shower, the water warming
quickly to form steam around them. Pressed up against the wall again,
John found Dave pulling at his erection, the younger man's mouth still
ravaging his.

The older man brushed his fingertips across Dave's chest and moved
them to his back, feeling those strong muscles under his slick skin,
traveling down to the small of his back to where that small tattoo of
a stone tribal sun was that no one knew about except John. Lower yet,
his hand went, until it was firmly atop Dave's ass, and the younger
man immediately pulled away slightly, their breath coming in short
bursts as they separated from their heated kiss. Mutual hesitation
that made John's heart skip a beat, before Dave finally glanced up
quickly and began to kiss John again, his hesitance almost
unnoticeable.

Almost.

Not wanting to ruin the moment, John quickly placed his hands on
Dave's back, caressing the tattoo with one while the other
instinctively grabbed at Dave's back, leaving slight scratches from
his nails. The younger man was pumping his cock, slow on the way down
and then quickly upward, again and again and again, and - dear Jesus -
! His eyes screwed shut and he bit his lip, moaning as he arched his
back against the shower wall, coming in short bursts and bucking his
hips as he did so. He felt Dave jerk slightly, and opened his eyes
briefly to see that he'd accidentally gotten some on his face.

"I'm sorry," he said, trying to keep himself from laughing while he
reached up and wiped his semen away from Dave's cheek, as the younger
man chuckled.

"I think you got some of it up my nose."

John had to laugh out loud, before putting on his best pout.
"Aww...let me make it up to you..."

"Oh, yeah?" Dave asked, smiling slyly while cocking an eyebrow. "And
how exactly will you do that?"

"Let me show you," John said, grinning widely as he pulled Dave into a
deep kiss, right before doing just that.

-------------------------------

Your body is a wonderland

Your body is a wonderland

I'll use my hands

Your body is a wonderland

-------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Sixteen - Living Your Ghost by The She Devil
----------------------------------
Chapter Sixteen: Living Your Ghost
----------------------------------

You in the dark
You in the pain
You on the run

-------------------------------

Abby Lockhart had never liked birthdays, especially her own. There
were a few reasons for this, but the generalization of all of them was
that it was never a good day on her birthday. Something always went
wrong, or perhaps nothing went right. So, following that precedent,
today was a pretty shitty day. She'd been woken up early this morning
to her new neighbors screaming at each other, something she was loathe
to say happened often; it was about one hundred degrees below zero
outside, which she'd had to walk in to get here; everyone seemed to
think she was their maid for the day and kept asking her to run
errands and figure out what the hell was wrong with their own
patients; and, right now? She was sitting in Doc Magoo's with her
ex-husband, who had just told her he was getting married to a
thirty-four-year-old teacher with a six-year-old son.

So, having just suffered a good kick while she was down, Abby was
staring into her coffee, mulling over the thought that Richard had
always wanted to have kids. Had he? She'd always thought otherwise,
and it was one of the reasons that she'd decided to have that secret
abortion, the other having been the fact the baby could end up having
the same disorder her mother did, and she didn't want to take care of
another Maggie and she didn't want her child to live through the
horror of being bipolar. But still, hearing this news, was a shock to
her heart that turned her blood cold.

"Why?" she suddenly asked, cocking an eyebrow and staring at the wall,
but seeing his slight puzzlement out of the corner of her eye. "Why
today, of all days? Did you decide to tell me, I mean."

He shrugged then, glancing up from his coffee. "Is today a bad day?"

He didn't remember. The bastard that had been her husband for all
those years, didn't remember that today, January tenth, was her
birthday. Utterly feeling betrayed and wounded, and taking that as the
last straw, Abby stood and bolted from Doc Magoo's, but not before
calling quickly over her shoulder: "I hope it works out this time."

Quickly, Abby made her way to County and into the Lounge, hoping to
get back to work and get her mind off of this as soon as possible. As
much as she was over Richard, it still hurt to hear what he'd said,
even more so to know that he didn't realize today was her birthday.
After all, even now she remembered his birthday. But, apparently, it
wasn't forgotten amongst everyone, because as soon as she got to her
locker, Dave Malucci ambushed her, gift-wrapped box in hand.

And the first thing that she blurted out before she could stop herself
was: "You remembered?"

"What?" he said, glancing at her as if any other idea were
incredulous. "You think just because I overdosed, took a hiatus for
about a month, went to rehab - not to mention therapy - that I'd
forget it was your birthday? Get out of here."

"Can I have it?" she asked, her day slightly brightening as she felt
excitement creep into her. She couldn't remember the last time someone
had bought her something for her birthday, and now she could hardly
wait to see what it was.

"You know," he said, a theatrically thoughtful look on his face as he
held the present in his hands, picking at the silver bow, "I went to
the mall last Saturday to get you a gift, but when I got there, I
realized I had no idea what to buy. I said to myself, what in God's
name do you get chicks for their birthdays? Finally, I found this."

He presented the gift to her, and she took the box from his hands,
glancing up at him with a slight smile and saying: "What is it?"

"Duh," he said, barely able to hide his own excitement. "Open it, and
you'll find out!"

She hesitated only briefly before ripping away at the carefully
wrapped paper, finding a plain white box underneath. Tossing the paper
to the floor for now, she took off the cover to the box to reveal a
beautiful red dress that was just her size. She glanced up at her
companion in surprise, pulling out the dress and holding it to her
front, trying to picture herself in it. If anything, Dave sure had
good taste, unless...

"You picked this out yourself?"

"I just thought of what I'd like to see you in," he said, winking, and
then grinned as he said: "About around the fifth time I circled the
entire mall, I called my mother, and she told me that women like to
get dressed up, so that gave me the idea. But I couldn't just buy you
a dress with nowhere to go in it, so..." He fished a pair of tickets
out of his pocket, holding it out to her, going on to say, "I figured,
why not buy you dinner at the play at the Arts Center? You can go with
whoever you want."

"Oh, Dave," she said, absurdly feeling a stinging in her eyes. It was
probably the sweetest thing anyone had done for her in a while, and
she'd especially needed it today. Her best friend sure knew how to
lift someone's spirits, and she was sorry she hadn't gotten to know
him much, much sooner. "I can't believe you did this for me, that you
spent all this time...and money. Why?"

"Why?" Dave asked, shocked as he placed his large hands on her slender
hips, holding her at arms' length. "I did it because I love you,
Abby. You, my mother, John...you guys are my family, and I love you.
Just...thought this was a nice way to show it."

She smiled softly, hardly remembering the last time someone had said
that to her. "I love you too, Dave."

Quickly, before the subject got too mushy for either of them, Dave
asked, "So who's the lucky man?"

"I'm looking at him." Suddenly, she wrapped her arms around his neck,
hugging him tightly as she kissed him gently on the cheek, surprising
him. "I want to go with you."

"That's all we get?" The two friends separated and turned to see Chuny
and Amira standing in the doorway of the lounge, looking rather
disappointed. Suddenly, the Hispanic nurse grinned. "We were hoping
for a steamy wet one. Come on, Dave, I've never known you to be shy!"

"Oh, plea - " Abby began, but before she could get in another word,
Dave slipped his hands on either side of her face, pulling her into a
"steamy wet one," as requested by the two nosy ER staffers, who
immediately cheered as they got what they wanted. Abby quickly pushed
Dave away, however, laughing as she did so. "You're such a jerk."

"I know," he said, grinning. "A jerk that needs to go see some
patients before the Chief has his hide. Later, guys."

He left in a rush, leaving Abby to turn to the two other women, who
were still grinning madly. Shaking her head in disbelief, Abby asked:
"What did you two want, anyway? Besides to butt into my life."

"Oh, that was all," Amira replied, before grinning at Abby's scowl.
"I'm just kidding. Frank wants you; something about that kid,
Douglas?"

"Right, thanks," Abby said, quickly exiting the room and heading
towards Admin.

"Hey, Abby," Chuny called, before the nurse could get away. "Was it
good?"

"Was what good?"

"The kiss!" she exclaimed, as if it was ridiculous she didn't know
what she was asking about.

Abby grinned, in spite of herself. "He *is* one hell of a kisser."

Finally getting away, she moved towards the Admin desk, catching sight
of a little blonde boy sitting in Chairs. Douglas Leeman was a little
boy who no one could seem to find a parent of. Apparently, his mother
had been brought in last night with a headache, though it ended up
being a brain bleed, and she was already dead by the time they
discovered Douglas was her son. All morning Abby had been trying to
get Frank to contact another family member, which had been rather
difficult since the boy didn't know anything else besides where his
father lived. She was hoping right now as she spotted the desk clerk,
that he would know something about the little boy's family whereabouts
before he had to go into Social Services. "What is it Frank?"

"I reached his father, Mr. Leeman." The older man glanced at the
little boy, who was sleeping on a gurney nearby, and Abby immediately
softened, as she knew he must've wiped himself out from today's
events. "He's in Australia on business, but he can't leave until he
catches a red-eye tomorrow night. Someone's gotta call Social
Services, the kid can't stay here."

"I'll make the call," Abby grimly promised, brushing the hair out of
the boy's eyes. She knew Dave would be disappointed, who had been the
one helping her all morning with the little tyke, both of them
alternating between watching him in the ER to make sure he didn't get
into anything and didn't get hurt. And he'd seemed to have bonded with
Dave, whose charismatic ways had won the tot over almost the instant
they'd met.

"Abby! I need to ask you a question!"

"What else is new?" she muttered to herself as she turned to face one
Michael Gallant, recalling that practically all day the young medical
student had been asking her how to deal with his own patients. He
approached her hurriedly, holding a chart in her hand. "What is it,
Michael?"

"Does County General permit Psych transfers to other hospitals?" he
asked, and she cocked an eyebrow in curiosity, a silent plea to ask
him to elaborate, which he soon did. "I have a patient in Curtain
Three suffering from a scalp lac from a slip-and-fall, but he wants to
be moved from his room, and then have us call his caseworker at a
private hospital."

"Is he altered?" Abby asked, as she allowed Michael to lead her to
Curtain Area Three.

"No, but agitated," he replied.

"Did you call for a Psych consult?" she asked as they reached the
closed curtain. Almost immediately, she sighed as she realized from
his expression that he had done no such thing. "Then can you please do
that??" she instructed, and he quickly ducked out to do just that as
she pulled back the curtain, doing a double take when she saw whom the
patient was. It took all of her being not to blurt out the first thing
that came to mind, but obviously that was not enough, since she did
say it: "Oh, my God."

"The paramedics brought me to this hospital," Paul Sobriki said
hurriedly, as if he knew that this moment would come sooner or later.
"I didn't want to come here. If you just...please call my caseworker,
and - please, get me out of this room...could you do that? His phone
number is in my bag, I can get it and you can call him..."

She barely listened as she waited for her breath to return, which it
did after a beat. But she couldn't listen to him, she had to suddenly
leave this room as images flashed before her eyes, images of blood on
the floor and two bodies splayed there as well, images that made her
stomach lurch. And she fled, she ran as far away as she could, down
the hallway and outside into the ambulance bay, as if that alone would
allow her to leave this experience behind.

-------------------------------

Living your hell

Living your ghost

Living her end

-------------------------------

A hand on his back. A gentle hand, one that didn't startle him because
he knew whose it was, recognized it by now, after how many times it
had touched him and comforted his aching muscles. His back had been
hurting him a lot lately, but he didn't complain because there was
nothing that could be done; he'd ruined his chance at ever taking
another painkiller again. He tried to hide it too, as to not worry
anyone, but his lover noticed, such a perceptive man he was, despite
the label most people had put on him - including himself, until a few
months ago.

"Maybe you should take a break," Dave said then, gently massaging
John's back, who arched it in reply, urging him to continue. Dave was
so good at massages; one back rub late at night was all it took to
turn the older man's flesh to putty and guide him into peaceful sleep.

"I *am* taking a break," John replied, moaning softly as Dave's
fingers found a knot and worked easily to remove it. "Yeah, right
there..."

"Hiding in a supply closet for a few minutes isn't exactly what I call
a break."

"Yeah, well," John said, shrugging. "I'm getting a three-day break
this weekend."

"Don't remind me," Dave said murmured, following a trail of tense
muscles down John's back, his fingers finding the scars and tracing
them effortlessly though he couldn't see them. He knew them well
enough. "I'm already missing you..."

John smiled, though Dave couldn't see it since his back was to him.
Dr. Dave the romanticist. Who knew? Oh, and what they were talking
about? John's three-day conference in California held for emergency
room doctors all over the United States. Dr. Weaver, who had insisted
he go since he was the Chief Resident, had paid for everything even
before asking him, so, he'd had to. And he'd decided that it was only
three days, so he supposed Dave could live without him for that long,
though the younger man had insisted otherwise, even going so far as to
say he would die. John, however, had seen through his lies and told
him he'd be fine, though they both knew it'd be hard considering it
was technically their longest time away from one another since moving
in together.

And John was a little worried, because not only was this their longest
time away from one another, but it was also the first time they'd be
away from each other since Dave's overdose. What happened if Dave
needed him while he was gone? And what happened if he wasn't there,
and Dave thought his only option was to take something? Take enough
for John to receive a phone call all the way in California, telling
him that Dave was...? John shuddered just thinking about it, and had
even asked Abby to keep an eye on the younger man in his absence.
She'd complied, of course, intending to do that anyway because she
knew exactly how John was feeling.

"I took a break already today," John said, changing the subject before
it dampened either of their moods.

"Take another one," the Junior Resident said softly. "I'll cover for
you."

"You don't have to do that," John said, turning around to face the
younger man.

"I want to," he stated, his worry-filled eyes searching John's.
Suddenly, they narrowed. "Something else wrong?"

Perceptive indeed. "It's just...don't worry about it."

"John," Dave said, managing to sound insistent but exasperated at the
same time. "Please, just tell me what's wrong."

"I don't want to bother you. You have enough problems of your own..."
The minute the sentence came out of his mouth he regretted it, because
he knew that Dave would think it was an insult. He really should start
thinking before talking...

But instead of getting angry, Dave surprised John once again. "John,
I'm a fucking mess, and have been my entire life. And, to tell you the
truth, I don't see a time in my life when that's going to change," he
said, and John wanted to counter that but he didn't know what to say.
So, instead, he allowed Dave to go on, who hadn't been expecting a
reply to that. "But that doesn't mean that I don't care about people
and I don't want to help. Look, I know that most of the people in this
ER think that I'm a selfish, uncaring bastard, but I hope that you
know that that isn't true...and if I ever am so wrapped up in myself
to care about my family then I'm not the person I want to be. Now let
me help...don't make me kick your ass..."

So many things were running through John's head at that moment that he
didn't know what to say. Dave wasn't a mess. Well, he was, but that
didn't mean he couldn't change. And not everyone in the ER thought
that of him. Well, they did - except he and Abby- but that didn't mean
that couldn't change either. And had Dave just called him family? Most
of all, why was that suddenly making what John was about to say next
seem so miniscule? Could someone really have that kind of influence on
him?

"My parents are divorcing," he blurted out, if only to break his train
of thoughts before he forgot to reply.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Dave immediately asked, hurt that John
hadn't relayed this information earlier, but more worried because he
knew what this would do to him.

"I don't know," he replied to that, shrugging. "It's all so
awkward...your parents don't divorce when you're thirty years old. And
now my mother's staying at the mansion, driving my grandmother nuts.
Driving *me* nuts. She actually thinks there's still a chance for her
and my dad, but...he's avoiding her. She thinks he's still in Kansas
City, but last time my dad called me he was in Denver...I told you,
it's screwed up."

There was a pause, as Dave tried to figure out what exactly to say to
that. "If there's anything I can do..."

"Just..." John moved close to him, pulling the younger man into an
embrace, hoping no one would choose that moment to come into the
supply closet for some meds or a suture kit. He didn't really care.
When you needed a hug, you needed a hug, especially when it was from
the one you loved. He soon separated, however, glancing up into Dave's
caring eyes. "Thanks."

Dave smiled. "Anytime. Now take a break and ice your back, or I'm
telling Weaver and she'll *make* you do it."

John grinned as they left the supply closet. "Who am I to argue with a
free break? But I hope you don't mind dealing with four extra patients
now."

"Bring it on," Dave replied, as they moved to Admin and approached the
patient board, so John could explain a brief synopsis of his patients
before he took a quick break. "Just know I can't administer narcotics
or anything...Weaver barely lets me use instruments."

"Hey, I remember the feeling," John joked, and Dave was almost
surprised because they'd never really mentioned the Chief Resident's
past addiction before. "It'll pass, Dave. Just be patient."

"Because you know that's one of my best qualities," he joked back,
grinning.

Dave considered himself screwed over as far as treating patients went.
Since coming back to work, Dr. Weaver had firmly stated that he could
not participate in traumas and strictly forbade him from administering
or prescribing any type of narcotics. He couldn't use needles or
tweezers or anything with a sharp edge - which didn't really make
sense to him, since he'd only been addicted to pills, but whatever.
Who was he to argue when he still had a job and a paycheck? He knew
how easily Weaver could've dumped him for stealing hospital
medications and working under the influence. But doing mostly Triage
and scutwork beat that fate, that was for sure.

"Hey, Malucci," he heard, breaking him from his thoughts, and he
looked to see Randi, armed with a magazine. "What's your sign?"

"I don't know..."

"Well, when's your birthday?"

"August fifteenth."

"Leo," she said, her eyes searching over the page before they landed
on what exactly it was she was looking for: "Leo's offer is
irresistible. Your heart sings a sweet song, equal parts yearning for
satisfaction, under the Gemini Moon. Tonight's dinner guest could
easily end up staying for brunch tomorrow." She glanced up then,
arching an eyebrow and smirking. "Wow...sounds like somebody is
getting lucky tonight. What about you, Carter? When's your birthday??"

"June fourth," he replied, his eyes skimming over the patient board
for his patients.

"Gemini..." She glanced up then, eyeing the two men suspiciously.
"Weird... Hey, Abby, what's your sign??"

"Hey," Dave said, his eye immediately catching something as he glanced
over the patient board. "I had a patient in Two...where the hell did
he go? And why was he moved??"

"I don't know," John replied, his brow furrowing in confusion. He
began to move toward Exam Two, his curiosity piqued. "I'll go check it
out. You go find our patient, meanwhile."

"Wait!" Abby called from her position at the Admin desk, approaching
John hurriedly. "Can you check on your patient with explosive
diarrhea?"

"Can't it wait?"

"He's pretty miserable."

"She," John corrected, bemused.

"I'll take it," Dave cut in, standing next to John, who still seemed
hesitant. "And I'll make a good impression on the other residents,
too, by checking out the guy in Two. You grab some ice down the hall
and take that break, or you'll have more than just Weaver to worry
about."

"Yes, sir," John said, ducking out and heading in the opposite
direction.

"Thank God," Abby breathed, relieved, and then glanced up at a puzzled
Dave. She sighed at that moment, her brow furrowing with worry, and he
could tell he wasn't going to like whatever it was she was about to
say before a word even escaped her lips. "We sort of have a
problem..."

-------------------------------

Never seem to get in the place that I belong

Don't wanna lost the time

Lose the time to come

-------------------------------

Dr. Susan Lewis wasn't really new to Cook County General Hospital,
since she'd been here for a long time before moving away five years or
so ago. But this hospital, not unlike herself, had gone through many
changes, and it was a shock to her to discover that half of the staff
she knew was gone, replaced by several others who she didn't know and
got a vibe from that they didn't particularly like her very much. Two
of which were Dr. Dave Malucci and his supposed girlfriend Nurse Abby
Lockhart, who were now inside of her patient's exam room, putting him
in tight restraints. Not to mention, they'd changed his room to Exam
Two without even telling her, causing her to look like a fool in front
of everyone at Admin after relaying that she'd lost her patient. If
these two weren't trying to disrespect her, then she wasn't sure she
wanted to find out what it would be like if they did.

"What's going on in here?" she asked now, standing in the doorway.

"Please," her patient was protesting loudly, as he glanced pleadingly
at the security guards, though they showed only indifference. "You
don't have to do that."

"What are you two doing?" Susan asked, her voice raising a notch.
"I've already seen Mr. Sobriki, that isn't necessary."

"Dr. Lewis, right?" Dave asked, as he glanced up from fixating one of
the restraints. He moved towards her, indicating outside of the
doorway. "Can I see you out in the hall?"

She took one look at him before dismissing him, refusing to comply
with anyone who moved her patients and put restraints on them without
consulting her first. Especially when they called themselves "Dr.
Dave." "Excuse me, Paul?" she asked then, stepping towards him, but he
began to speak before she could get another word out.

"Can you please get me my caseworker?" he implored, his expression
showing his desperation. "He's a psychiatrist, he's monitoring my
conditional release..."

"From where?" Susan asked, utterly confused by her two coworkers
exceptionally extreme behavior, especially when she'd already seen Mr.
Sobriki and he'd shown no signs of violent behavior. But before she
could get the answer, however, Dr. Dave took her by the arm and led
her outside of the room, Abby following close behind. "What is your
problem?" she snapped, once they were outside.

If Dr. Lewis thought that Dave didn't like her, then she was
absolutely right. She just rubbed him the wrong way, treating him as
if he were just some junior resident here to serve her and take all
the cases that she didn't want. And she treated Abby the exact same
way, using her as a scut slave, and, needless to say, the nurse didn't
like it either. Many a time had the two enjoyed poking fun at the
Attending, mocking her monotone-like voice and commanding each other
to do different tasks. Because this hospital may have worked like that
when she used to be around five years ago, but it sure didn't work
like that now, and no way in Hell were they going to let her get away
with it.

Plus, Dave was - though he would never admit it - a little jealous of
the previous eye of his present boyfriend's affection, and this mostly
fueled his detestation of her. He'd seen her the minute she'd stepped
into this hospital and into John's friendly embrace, stopping shortly
and quickly pulling out an x-ray he'd been holding, placing it in a
light box and pretending to study it while he inconspicuously watched
the two interact. Before long, he'd spotted Jing-Mei in passing,
quickly pulling her aside and asking: "Who's the blonde?"

"Where?" the oriental doctor had asked, following his line of vision.
"Oh. That's Dr. Lewis, she used to work here. Hey, I wonder what she's
doing back..."

"She got a thing for Carter or something?" he immediately asked.

"Not that I know of," she replied, then seemed to reconsider.
"Actually, I heard that way back when, he used to have the hugest
crush on her, and I think she even had a crush on him. But we were med
students and she was a resident, so..."

And thus had started Dave's inner desire to see Susan Lewis shipped
back to wherever she had spawned from. Arizona, was it? Who cared, as
long as she left and never came back. Especially with the way she
flirted endlessly with John, who seemed embarrassed every time,
especially when Dave was around. Man, sometimes he just felt like
walking right up to the Chief Resident and kissing him full on the
lips in front of that Lewis just to see the look on her face...

Now, the she-demon crossed her arms over her chest, her expression
showing her exasperation. Dave was about to speak - well, more like
yell - when Abby began talking, hoping to avoid any heated discussion
that could occur between the two potentially ornery doctors.

"Mr. Sobriki is schizophrenic," Abby stated, and then took a deep
breath before continuing, "He's the guy that stabbed Carter and killed
a med student two years ago."

"Him?" Susan asked, her arms uncrossing subconsciously as she glanced
inside the exam room and at her seemingly harmless patient. She turned
back to Abby and Dave, glancing between them. "He stabbed Carter?
What's he doing out?"

"We already called the police about it," Abby said, exchanging a look
with Dave. "We just want to get him out of here before Carter sees
him."

"Get him out of here?" Susan immediately asked, as if the notion was
ridiculous. "You mean transfer him?? I didn't get a head-CT yet, I
need to determine his status before I move him anywhere."

"What?" Dave asked, incredulous, and then shouted indignantly: "He
stabbed two people right down the hall!"

"I don't care what he did or who he is," Susan said, shaking her head
vehemently, "but I am *not* transferring a patient with a head wound
until I get a CT scan first!"

"Oh, please," Dave declared. "He doesn't need a CT scan, he fell down
on the sidewalk and bumped his head, for God's sake!"

"He was out for quite a few minutes, 'Dr. Dave,'" she said, the tone
in which she'd said his name suggesting he had no business even
attempting to treat patients, much less hers. "He could have
intercranial bleeding."

"Inter -- ??" he began to ask, but then stopped, hardly able to wrap
his mind around that. "Intercranial bleeding? You know his chances of
having an intercranial bleed are slim to none!"

"Regardless," Susan said, her own voice raised now, "I am not
transferring a patient with a head wound!! If he codes in the
ambulance on the way out, whose fault would that be? Or did you even
bother to think that far ahead?"

"You know, it's really great and all that you're being a doctor first
and a friend second," Dave said, glad for his habit of not thinking
before speaking right about now, "but does your friend side have to
come in such a *distant* second?? Jesus, you could at least pretend to
care!"

"Excuse me," Dr. Lewis interjected, clearly annoyed, "but I'm just
doing my job, here. Which has nothing to do with how much I do or do
not care about Carter."

"Have you even thought about how we feel looking at him?" Dave
continued, ignoring her previous statement because it seemed
irrelevant right now. "Do you have any idea what it was like to work
here that night? To work on two of your friends and then to have one
of them die, right on your table??" Okay, so it hadn't been *his*
table, but he'd worked on her. It still felt the same, somehow, as if
he'd done more something would've changed, she would still be alive.
He was sure the Chief felt that way too, and anyone else who had been
there that night. "Her name was Lucy Knight, and she was a great girl
and would have been a damn great doctor. She was bright, pretty, and
funny, and talented, and now because of that man she is dead. Let me
ask you this, 'Dr. Lewis.'" He referred to her name in the same
demeaning tone she'd used in his earlier. "Have you even thought about
what it could do to Carter if he finds out that that man is in this
hospital? Hmm?? Or did *you* even bother to think that far ahead?"

"Who are you to say - " Susan started, but Dave barely let her get
those few words out.

"Who am I?" he snapped, angry. "I'm Dr. Dave Malucci, and I was here
last time to pick up the pieces. Fuck, I still am. And when Carter
finds out that that psycho is here, he's going to lose it and he's
going to fall apart, and it'll be *your* turn then, but somehow I
doubt you're going to give a rat's ass. Live with *that*, Doctor!"

And with that, Dave turned sharply on his heel, walking away in hopes
to locate John and steer him clear of this room - this side of the
hospital, if he could. Because he knew what seeing Sobriki would do to
the older man, and while Dave would be there should that happen, with
some tact hopefully this encounter could be avoided. Keyword:
Hopefully.

"Jeeze," Susan breathed, one Malucci was out of earshot. She rolled
her eyes, sighing with disbelief. "What's up with him?"

"Yeah, really," Abby said, the sarcasm dripping from her voice,
surprising Susan. "You know, the least you could do is get started on
that CT as fast as you can."

"I got it," Susan groaned, moving back into the room.

"And Dave's right," Abby stated, but didn't clarify on exactly what.
"Make sure Carter doesn't see him!!"

"I got it!" Susan repeated, shaking her head in disbelief. Things
really *had* changed around here, hadn't they? "Okay, Mr. Sobriki,"
she said then, with a strained smile. "How about that head CT?"

-------------------------------

Whatever you say, it's all right

Whatever you do, it's all good

Whatever you say, it's all right...

-------------------------------

"Do you think this was such a good idea?" Abby whispered to Dave, as
they watched Douglas Leeman approach his dead mother charily.

"You suggested it," Dave replied. It obviously wasn't the answer she
was looking for however, as she pulled a face, so he looked back to
the little boy, saying: "We had to. He didn't believe us."

"I drew you a picture," they heard the little boy say softly to his
mother now, before leaning in close and whispering something in her
ear. The two ER staffers watched solemnly from the doorway, Dave's
brow furrowing and Abby smiling cautiously as Douglas kissed his
mother carefully. They exchanged glances then, both sighing silently,
before turning back to the boy.

"Ready to go, Douglas?" they heard from behind them, startling both
coworkers thoroughly, and they turned to see a stone-faced Dr. Weaver,
who looked anything but pleased. The two exchanged glances, knowing
what was coming next. "Why don't you go with Dr. DeRaad here, and he's
going to talk to you for a little while, okay?"

"Okay," the little boy said, and was about to leave the room with the
psychiatrist until he turned back to Dave and Abby with questioning
eyes. "I don't have to stay with him, do I? I can come back?"

"Sure thing," Abby replied, with the best smile she could muster right
about now. And then, standing close to her companion, she held her
breath, feeling Dave doing the same thing.

"What in the world were you two thinking when you brought that little
boy to the morgue??" she immediately asked, her usually soft features
contorted with anger and irritation. "Were you even thinking at all??"

"He didn't believe his mom was dead," Abby defended, trying to get Dr.
Weaver to see it from her point of view.

"You should've called a Psych consult then!" she pointed out,
gesturing down the hall to where Dr. DeRaad was speaking with Douglas.

"Maybe someone should've called a Psych consult when his mother was
first brought in," Dave muttered under his breath, just loud enough
for his boss to hear it.

"She vagaled in triage!" she exclaimed. "No one told me she had a
kid."

"Did you ask?"

"Dave." Abby, warning him quietly, with a gentle tug at the back of
his sleeve. But he was just so sick and tired of Weaver making excuses
for herself, and when another person had a legitimate claim, of course
it was cast aside because the redheaded tyrant was the only one who
could be right.

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that, Dr. Malucci, because
you are already skating on very thin ice." Of course he was. Of
course. "Did you at least call Social Services?"

"We're trying to find another relative," Abby interjected before Dave
could answer, and he thanked her silently for that because he knew it
would've contained quite a few four-letter words.

"And how long are you going to try before you call?" Weaver snapped,
glancing between the two coworkers. "Two days? Three?"

"Don't you think the kid's been through enough today?" Dave asked, his
voice edged with annoyance. "We just thought it might not be the best
for him to spend another night with strangers."

"You're an expert at this, now, Dr. Malucci? That's funny, because I
thought you were an ER resident," she said haughtily, and cut him off
before he could get in another word: "You know how to do Social
Services' job?" And when he didn't reply: "Do you??"

She just had to do this every time, didn't she? "No...but..."

"Then suck it up and call them, because their holding facility is a
lot better than the ER - or the morgue, for that matter," she said,
turning sharply and walking away from them, heading towards Dr. DeRaad
and Douglas, who followed her out. "Call them, now!!" she called back,
infuriating the young resident even more.

"Skating on thin ice," he repeated, incredulous, as he placed his
hands on his waist. Abby had seen him do that several times before,
and knew that each time he did he was angry, so she kept her distance,
letting him get it all out because sometimes that was the best thing
to do. "She knew she'd get me with that one, she knew it. Just because
I fucked up once means I can't do anything right anymore, does it??"

"Dave, you didn't fuck up," Abby said, touching his arm and rubbing it
comfortingly.

"I killed someone, Abby," he replied to that, his voice so serious it
almost startled her. He stopped moving then, trying to look away from
her because he knew his eyes gave away all of his emotions, and he
knew that right now they'd let her know just how regretful he was. "I
killed someone and then I stole drugs because I couldn't handle all
the pressure. You can't change that, you can't fix it. And Weaver sure
as hell knows that and isn't going to let me forget it."

"Do you want me to talk to her?" Abby suggested.

"What?" Dave asked, incredulous. "No, I don't want you to talk to her.
I can take care of myself."

"Obviously."

"What's that supposed to mean??"

"Nothing," she said, holding her hands up in surrender. "I was just
trying to help you, but if you don't want it, fine." She turned then,
stalking off, but not before tossing over her shoulder: "And it
wouldn't hurt to accept it once in a while, either, Dave."

"Abby, I - " He sighed, realizing she wasn't listening, and then
glanced up at the heavens, outstretching his arms in a pleading
manner. "I'm being punished, aren't I?"

-------------------------------

Silence is not the way
We need to talk about
If heaven is on the way...
If heaven is on the way...

-------------------------------

"Abby." The nurse, who had been watching Douglas sitting alone in the
waiting room, turned away from the little boy and glanced towards
Haleh expectantly. "Can you grab me a couple two-by-fours and bring
them into Trauma Two? No one told me to restock and now they're
complaints." She shook her head disdainfully, as she began walking
towards said room, several supplies in her arms. "Doctors..."

Remembering seeing suture kits near Sutures, she used that as an
excuse to get close to Sobriki and see what was going on, since Susan
had made it clear earlier that he was her patient and no one else was
to bother him. Rolling her eyes at the incredulous doctor, Abby headed
down that way just to see the woman conversing with who she assumed to
be his caseworker.

"...Was found not guilty by reason of insanity," he was saying, as
Abby reached inside a supply cart and pretended to be casually
searching for something, though she kept her ears trained on the two
behind her. "After making great strides with his recovery, he was
placed in a less restrictive facility. Ten months later, he was put on
conditional release."

"He's agitated," Susan said then, worriedly.

"He's just nervous," the man assured her. "All he did was slip and
fall, and suddenly he's back at the scene of the crime. Anyone would
feel the same way."

"Excuse me?" Abby said, her curiosity getting the better of her as she
approached the two. "Why did he get out in two years?"

"Who are you??"

Abby blinked in surprise at his rudeness, taken slightly aback before
regaining her composure and snapping rather defensively: "I was
working? When he attacked my friends?"

"I'm sorry," the man immediately apologized, nodding as if he
understood her pain and knew what she and the rest of the ER had gone
through that night. "Mr. Sobriki was a law student, and since he was
progressing extremely well on his medication, a professor at his
school did some pro bono work and gained an early release on a writ of
habeas corpus."

Now, Abby didn't know much about legal terms, but she did know what
"habeas corpus" meant: it released Sobriki from unlawful restraint.
But was it really unlawful restraint when he killed someone? Abby felt
like screaming, though she kept it to herself. She glanced at Susan
for some sort of confirmation that she was thinking the same thing,
but the older woman only glanced at her patient, who seemed harmless
enough, but hadn't he also on the day he stabbed two people??

"I know what you're thinking - " the man tried to explain.

"Really," Abby seethed.

"Most schizophrenics aren't violent at all - "

"This one was, wasn't he??"

"If they are, they usually aren't twice," he stated, his words edged
with anger. "He's not a danger to himself, or others - not on his
meds. There are safeguards in place."

She wanted to yell at them all. At the man for thinking he knew all
about what had happened that Valentine's Day as if he'd experienced it
first hand. He didn't know what it had been like to hear that two of
your friends had been stabbed and they needed you to help them. He
didn't know what it had been like to be in that trauma room trying to
save your coworker's life, knowing that it all depended on you and the
few other rooms. He didn't fucking know, and yet here he was telling
her that everything was fine and she had nothing to worry about. And
don't even get her started on Susan, who seemed to have the hugest
crush on Carter but wasn't taking a single consideration with him in
mind. Sure, she wasn't here too, but couldn't she at least seem
compassionate??

Deciding that perhaps yelling is exactly what she was going to do,
Abby opened her mouth to speak only to be interrupted by a certain
Michael Gallant, with yet *another* problem. "Abby? A Foley's
overflowing..."

"Clamp it!" she spat.

"I did! It's overflowing."

"God damn it!" she exclaimed, visibly startling Susan. She began to
move towards Gallant and his patient in turmoil - for about the
fiftieth time that day. "Just get Sobriki the fuck out of this
hospital, that's all I'm asking! Why is that so hard??"

"I want his restraints removed!"

Abby stopped dead in her tracks, taking a deep breath to calm herself
before turning around. "No. Not until he's out of this hospital."

"He's lucid," the man persisted, taking a step closer to Abby. "The
guard outside will suffice. He needs reassurance and respect right
now."

"Respect??"

"Yes!!"

"Abby," Susan said firmly, leading the nurse away from Sutures and
back towards Gallant. "I've got this covered, but thank you."

Sighing, she walked with Gallant towards Trauma Two, looking every bit
as pissed off as she felt. Catching a flash of blue scrub top out of
the corner of her eye, Abby glanced up to see Dave heading towards
Exam Two. "Dave! Dave!" Glancing up at her, she waved him over and he
rushed to her, sensing her urgency.

"Abby, the Foley's overflowing," Gallant reminded her.

"I know that, thank you," Abby snapped, keeping her attention focused
on the approaching Dave.

"What's wrong?" he immediately asked. "Need help with a patient?"

"No, it's Sobriki," she said, but not before quickly glancing around
to make sure Carter wasn't in earshot. Still worried, however, she
pulled her companion into Trauma Two with Gallant. "Here, fix this
Foley."

"Am I supposed to get the connection between the two?" Dave asked, as
he glanced briefly over Gallant's shoulder, who was still attempting
to fix the overflowing Foley. "No, you have to clamp it like
this...look, watch. Now you try it. Yeah, like that."

"Is it the fertility drugs that are messing up my system?" the woman
on the gurney asked, while trying to see what Gallant was doing.

"Uh...I'm not sure," Dave replied honestly. "But whoever's treating
you should have a good idea on that when your labs get back, okay?"

"Dave, Dr. Lewis won't discharge Sobriki," Abby blurted out, causing
the younger man to glance up with curiosity and slight agitation. "She
hasn't got the head CT read yet since Radiology is backed up, and she
won't discharge him until she gets it."

"Why doesn't she go up and get it?" Dave asked, angry. "You know what?
I'll get it for her. And I'm going to kick everyone's ass in Radiology
while I'm up there."

"Guys," they heard from the doorway, to see Chuny sticking her head
into the room with a compassionate glance. "Weaver's on warpath about
calling Social Services for that kid. She's got about six of us nurses
trying to hunt you two down, so you'd better do it before she starts
looking for you herself."

"I'll do it," Abby offered, exchanging a glance with Dave. "You go up
to Radiology. And, please, refrain from kicking everyone's ass." She
suddenly grinned. "Save some for me..."

Moving outside of the trauma room together, Abby moved to the
telephone nearby and dialed Social Services, as Dave moved down the
hall to go up to Radiology. His stride suddenly faltered before he
stopped completely, and Abby glanced up to see what had caught his
interest: the caseworker was talking calmly with Sobriki's wife, who
was also holding the child she'd bore while her husband was locked up
in a mental institution.

"Hey, Abby," she heard, and turned in horror to see John lean against
the wall in front of her, a grin on his face. Over his shoulder, she
saw Dave turn around fast, recognizing his boyfriend's voice. "The
diarrhea patient's doing fine. All she needed was some Compazine and
then she was on her way."

"Uh, yeah," Abby said, exchanging a glance with Dave as they both
spied Sobriki being wheeled into the hallway. Quickly, Dave approached
and wrapped his arm over John's shoulder, turning him so that his back
was facing the hall and the Sobriki family, grinning widely and
saying: "Hey, John, what's say the three of us go out tonight? We
could, uh...go to The Game Room."

"You know we can't drink," John reminded him, eyeing the younger man
suspiciously, who was suddenly acting very strange, fidgeting and
stuttering.

"Right, yeah, well, uh," he tried again, and suddenly began to hear
Sobriki talking softly to his child, so he began to speak louder,
trying to cover their voices with his own. "We could go to, uh, just a
restaurant, right? How about Doc's even? No, no, what about, uh...what
about..."

He felt John go rigid beside him, and immediately knew that their
attempts at shielding him from Sobriki had failed. The older man
seemed as if he were about to vomit, before he turned to Dave, his
glazed eyes begging him to prove him wrong even though he already knew
who was behind him. Pulling away from Dave, several expressions washed
over his face in a split second, but Dave recognized them all: fear,
anger, hurt, disbelief, and just the slightest bit of betrayal.
Betrayal. Oh, God, he hoped John would for give him for this.

"John," he said quietly, exchanging a guilty glance with Abby, but the
Chief Resident only turned slowly, his reddening eyes locking on
Sobriki's frame.

"They put you in restraints," his wife, Samantha, said softly, gently
touching one with her fingertips, her hand clasping into her husband's
afterwards.

"It's just a precaution," he replied soothingly, clasping her hand
back. "They're a little paranoid..." As if sensing him, the man then
turned, making eye contact with John Carter for the first time in two
years. "Oh...it's you," he said, surprised, though John only stood
there silently, not moving a muscle. "I'm sorry."

He was sorry? He was sorry, so that made it okay?? That was all that
mattered, that Sobriki, the man that had brutally stabbed him and his
medical student - killing her - was sorry. He was saying something
now, but John wasn't listening, could barely comprehend what the man
was saying, though he knew it had something to do with proving he was
fine now, as if that would make everything all better, make the scars
- physical and emotional and mental - just disappear, and everything
would be back to the way it used to be.

John shook his head bitterly. He was sorry...

"What are you doing here?" John breathed then, unable to listen to
Sobriki any further.

"He slipped and fell outside of his office building," his wife
explained.

"You're out?" John immediately spat, his fear turning to anger and
hatred.

"I'm sorry," he pleaded, repeating the words that John couldn't get
out of his head now. "That wasn't me who did that to you, to your
friend. You know that, right? You're a doctor, you know it's a
disease." He was sorry... "I'm being treated," the man persisted. "I'm
okay now."

Swallowing hard, incredulous, sickened by those words and struggling
to keep his composure, John could only manage to say, the words choked
by his quickly closing throat: "Great. Glad you're okay."

Turning sharply on his heels, John moved down the hallway with quick
strides, ignoring Dave as the younger man called out to him, going
after him. The knife was in his back, he could feel it piercing his
skin and his internal organs, severing his body in what felt like two.
And then again, damaging whatever it hadn't the first time. He was
falling then, screaming for someone to help him as he studied the
blood on his hand, though he knew he would've found it there if he
hadn't looked anyway. And the song was playing now, the same one that
had played at the moment he'd been stabbed, the moment he'd fallen to
the floor in a painful heap only to see Lucy there as well, bloodied
and struggling to stay conscious. But none of that mattered, since
Sobriki was sorry, since he was better now, because that made everyone
better and made everything that had happened since then just one big
joke to be laughed at.

Ha fucking ha.

Quickly, dodging away from Dave, who was still calling out his name,
John burst into the bathroom, making sure no one was inside before
practically slamming and locking the door in Dave's face, who took a
step back in surprise and stared at the nondescript door, as if that
alone would make it open. He began knocking, hoping that his lover
would open the door so he could talk to him and comfort him, just as
the older man had done for him several times before.

"John," he said, his voice laced with worry, as Abby approached
cautiously. To her, he said: "He won't let me in...he's not even
answering." Then, turning back to the bathroom door, he knocked once
again, pleading softly, "John, would you let me in? Please, open the
door...please?"

He flinched as the only response he received was the harsh sounds of
the older man vomiting violently.

-------------------------------

You were in the sea
On the decline
Breaking the waves

-------------------------------

"Excuse me?" Dave Malucci wasn't having the best day, and right now
the Junior Resident wasn't in the mood to hear anyone ask him for
anything, especially when he was finally off. So, he attempted to
brush off the woman bugging him, but she persisted, grabbing the
sleeve of his tee shirt as he attempted to get into the Lounge and
away from her. "Dr. Malucci, right? I have something for you."

His curiosity piqued, he turned and finally took a look at the blonde
woman, who he immediately recognized: it was Sobriki's wife. What was
her name? Sarah? Sandy? Sally? Samantha. But he didn't say anything,
just cast her a withering glance, hoping to get across that he didn't
exactly feel like talking with her right now - or ever, for that
matter. But his hopes were dashed instantly, as she held out a folded
piece of paper.

"I wanted to give this to your friend myself, but I have to drive Paul
home," she stated, as he took the note warily from her hand. He nodded
then, beginning to turn and walk away from her when she stopped him
once more. "They wouldn't have released him if he weren't better. He's
taking his meds, he's in therapy. He has a disease, but it's being
treated. That's what you do here - you treat diseases so that people
can try to move on with life."

"I'm glad that Paul's moving on," he stated pointedly, knowing she
could read between the lines. Because John certainly wasn't fine, and
would probably never get over this. He'd almost been killed, for God's
sake, not to mention the fact that he'd practically watched his
medical student die on that floor in the exam room.

"He's my husband. We're his family," she continued, her eyes pleading
with him. Dave realized then that she was trying to convince herself
as much as she was he. And while he felt some sort of pity for her, he
couldn't allow himself to feel anything more. It wouldn't seem fair to
John. "You understand, right?"

"How could I?" he asked, logically.

"I mean...you and Dr. Carter are close, aren't you? If something
happened to him, you would stick by him, wouldn't you?" she asked
softly, before glancing up into his eyes. She seemed to be waiting for
a reply but he didn't give one, so she looked down once more, taking a
step back and brushing her hair behind her ear. "I just...I can't give
up on him."

"Good luck," he simply stated, because, for once in his life, Dave
Malucci was speechless.

-------------------------------

Watching the lights go down
Letting the cables sleep

-------------------------------

"Abby!"

She immediately recognized the small voice of Douglas Leeman, and
glanced up from her walk to the Lounge to see a social worker
attempting to wrest the little boy from his seat in Chairs. He
immediately burst from the man and ran into her arms, fragile tears
running down his cheeks as he gripped her clothes with tiny, desperate
fists.

"Douglas, don't worry," she said, smoothing back his hair in an
attempt to soothe his fears. "You'll be fine. You just need to sleep
and eat, and take a nice bath..."

"But I want to stay here, with you! And Dr. Dave!" he said, and then
glanced around the ER. "Where's Dr. Dave? He'll let me stay! Will you
let me stay, Abby? I can stay here, with you!"

"I don't stay here all the time, honey, and neither does Dr. Dave,"
she explained, trying to disentangle herself from the boy's
death-grip. "But you can come visit us whenever you want, Douglas, I
promise."

"Abby!" he wailed, as the social worker snatched him up, carrying him
outside. "Abby, wait! I want to stay here! I'll stay with you! Abby!
Please!!"

"You'll be fine, Douglas, your dad will be here in the morning..." she
called out, putting a hand to her lips as she felt her voice catch in
her throat. She sighed then, running a hand through her gradually
growing brown hair, damning herself for getting so attached to that
boy. At least Dave hadn't been here for that; she remembered him
telling her about that boy from a few months ago, the one case that
had started his whole addiction. He didn't need to see this,
especially since he would have to inevitably deal with John later.

"Hey, Abby." Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves before she
strangled the poor medical student, Abby turned to an unsuspecting
Michael Gallant. "I have this patient in three, and..."

"I am not your Attending," she interrupted him through clenched teeth,
causing him to step back with surprise. "I am not a resident. I am a
nurse. You want me to assess a patient, push meds, check vitals, or
explain a situation to a family? That's fine. What I will *not* do is
carry you through med school. You want to be a doctor?? Start acting
like one!"

Taken aback, Michael gaped at her for a moment, before nodding and
excusing himself, embarrassed as he walked away with his head down.
Crossing her arms over her chest, Abby stood there for a moment,
feeling a little guilty but too worried about everything to
contemplate it further.

"Ouch. What'd he do to deserve that?" Dave Malucci asked, coming up to
stand beside her. "He better watch it, or else another moment like
this'll ruin all his pants."

She couldn't help but let out a laugh, grinning up at him, thankful
for the relief if not at least for a few moments. "He's just been
bothering me all day, and I should've stopped him before it got this
far. Hey, you heading out?"

"Yeah, I'm off. Finally," he added, sighing as he hitched his knapsack
higher on his shoulder. He glanced towards Chairs then, as if
realizing something was missing, before turning back to her, his brow
furrowed in concern. "Where'd Douglas go?"

"Social Services came and took him," Abby replied, quickly looking
away.

"Did it go okay?" Dave asked, as he began to fidget.

"Yeah," Abby said too quickly, her facial expression saying otherwise.

"Lair," he stated, catching her eye. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine..."

"Lair," he repeated, touching her cheek, causing her to look up at him
once more. "You should have come and found me. You know, I still don't
see why Weaver wouldn't let him stay here until tomorrow. She can be
such a bitch sometimes...most of the time. All of the time, really."

"I know," Abby agreed, sighing.

"Hey, have you seen John?"

"He's avoiding you too?"

"Big time," Dave replied, nodding. He seemed to remember something
then, as he reached inside his jeans' pocket and pulled out a folded
slip of paper. "Sobriki's wife gave this to me, wanted me to give it
to John. I was going to give it to him before I left, but..."

"I'll see if I can track him down," Abby said, taking it from him.
"Are you going to wait for his shift to end?" she asked, remembering
their shifts ended only about forty-five minutes apart.

"Nah," he said, his eyes directed at the floor. "I'm gonna go home and
wait up for him. Why? You think I should wait here for him?"

"No, go home," she assured him, rubbing his arm comfortingly. "He
probably just wants to be alone right now. Don't worry yourself, it'll
be okay."

"I hope so," he stated, his shoulders sagging in defeat. He suddenly
grinned, saying dryly: "Hey, happy Birthday, huh?"

"This is definitely one to remember," she agreed, nodding.
"Definitely..."

"You deserved to have a better one, Abby," he said, before he kissed
her on the forehead. It was a rare act of affection, something he
didn't show even when they were alone, and she found herself blushing,
as she was aware of the many curious eyes on them. "Sorry this one
sucked."

"Goodnight, Dave," she said, still blushing as she smiled into her
chest. "And good luck."

"Thanks," he said then, stepping away from her and heading towards the
ambulance bay. "I think I'm going to need it."

-------------------------------

Whatever you say, it's all right

Whatever you do, it's all good

Whatever you say, it's all right...

-------------------------------

Angry. That was what John Carter had resorted to now, because he knew,
rationally, that there was nothing to be afraid of. He also knew,
rationally, that he could not hate Paul Sobriki because in reality -
medically, as well - the attack hadn't been his fault. He also hated
self-pity, because that had achieved him nothing in the past except an
addiction to narcotics. So, he couldn't be afraid, he couldn't hate
anybody, and he couldn't feel sorry for himself because he might,
consequently, want to do something he'd later regret. Therefore, he
was left with angry.

Angry at what? He wasn't even sure right now, as he brusquely hung up
his lab coat in his locker. He was certainly angry at a God he wasn't
even sure he believed in anymore. He was certainly angry at Abby and
Dave for trying to keep this from him, though he knew, in the back of
his mind, that they'd only been trying to protect him. He was
certainly angry at the EMTs for bringing Sobriki here in the first
place. Hell, he was angry at every single person in this hospital and
then some. He was angry at himself too. Because, Goddamn it, it was
two years ago and he's over it. Isn't he?

"Lewis discharged Sobriki," he heard from next to him, startling him
slightly. Glancing to his left, he saw Abby standing there with a
folded slip of paper in her slender fingers, looking apologetic.
"Sorry. Didn't mean to startle you. Uh...listen...Sobriki's wife
wanted me to give you this. Actually, she gave it to Dave, but since
you're avoiding him he asked me to give it to you. He's also waiting
for you at home."

"Guess you couldn't protect me from her, either, huh?" he snapped, not
even giving the note a second glance and ignoring the topic of Dave
totally.

"I'm sorry," she said, sincere, as she tucked the note inside of his
locker. "We were just - "

"Don't worry about it," he stated, cutting her off bitterly.

"Why don't we go out for dinner or coffee, or something?" she asked,
hating to leave things between them like this. And perhaps if she
calmed him down slightly before he went home, he wouldn't take this
out on Dave. God knew both of them didn't need any of this right now.

"No, I think I'm just going to go home," he said, slamming his locker
closed, startling her. He turned towards her then, looking at her
matter-of-factly. "Dave's waiting for me, remember?"

"John," she sighed, but he simply walked away from her, heading out of
the Lounge abruptly, not even glancing back.

-------------------------------

Silence is not the way

We need to talk about

If heaven is on the way

We'll wrap the world around it

-------------------------------

Dave's eyes flickered open as he heard a door open and close. He was a
light sleeper, and occasionally thankful for it, this moment being one
of those times. He'd been sitting on the couch, trying to stay up and
wait for John, but he must've dozed off because he knew from the
direction the sound had come from it'd been the bedroom door, which
meant John was home. And he'd had to have seen him on the couch, but
just remained silent enough to slip past him and into the bedroom.
Damn it.

Standing, Dave crossing the living room to the hallway, cautiously
following it to their closed bedroom door. He could see the light
shining underneath it and hear the older man inside, indicating that
John was very much awake. Quietly, he pushed the door open, watching
the older man change into his sweats from the doorway for a moment,
knowing that John was aware he was there.

"Hey," Dave finally said softly.

John barely glanced at him. "Hey."

"John..." Stepping further into the room, Dave took a deep breath,
picking up a paperweight from the nearby desk and playing with it in
his hands, fidgeting like he always did when he was nervous. "Look,
I'm sorry we didn't tell you, but we were just trying to - "

"Dave," he interrupted, glancing up at him with a glare that
immediately cast the younger man's eyes to the floor. "I really don't
want to talk about this right now. Can we just go to sleep?"

"Yeah, sure," he replied, moving to his side of the bed and slipping
slowly under the covers. While his body was thankful for the relief,
his mind was still wrapped around John, worrying about his lover. He
hoped he was okay...and if he wasn't, would he let Dave comfort him?
The lights were off a moment later, the room absurdly dark, and he
felt the mattress dip as the older man joined him on the bed, though
he kept his distance. "Goodnight..."

"Yeah," was the only reply he received, causing Dave to sigh silently
in desperation. Jesus, didn't John see that he was sorry? But
obviously, he didn't, when Dave heard a few moments later: "Would you
stop it?"

"What?"

"I can feel you watching me," he snapped. "Just leave me alone, I'm
not going to break, damn it."

"I'll turn around then," Dave retorted, as he did just that. "Excuse
me for fucking caring."

John sighed as he heard the audible hurt in his companion's voice.
Damn it, he didn't want to be mad at Dave, and he really wasn't, but
he was just so fazed by all of this he didn't know how to act right
now. "Dave..." he began, trying to put everything into words as he
heard the younger man turn towards him in the darkness, but he was
feeling so much he didn't know where to start, so instead, he found
himself moving close to the younger man, hugging him tightly and
finding comfort in it, even though he initiated it. And he began to
speak, rambling inanely because if he didn't do something he was
afraid he was going to cry. And his lover - his perceptive, wise lover
- knew this, understood this, and allowed him to. "I'm sorry, Dave, I
know what you and Abby did, that you only did it to protect me, but
just seeing him there, it took me right back there, right back in
Curtain Three, and just thinking about that, it made me so sick, Dave,
so angry and sick, and I just...I just...oh, God, it's just...not
fair, it's so not fair..."

"I know...I know..." he said, as he held John tightly back, rubbing
his back soothingly in an attempt to get him to calm down. He wasn't
sure what to say, or what to do, so he blurted out the first thing
that came to mind and the only thing he'd been thinking all night: "I
know it's not fair, but maybe it's better that way, because...if it
was, then something might justify what happened to you, and if...if
something justified that...I don't want anything to justify that,
John, nothing, because it was so horrible and...I just...am I making
any sense?"

"Yes," John said, tightening his arms around the Junior Resident,
before brushing his lips over the younger man's softly, lovingly. He
eased out of the kiss, burying his face in Dave's chest, blocking out
whatever may lay outside of this bed - Sobriki, Lucy, the stabbing,
his addiction, all of today - because this was the only place he
wanted to be right now.

-------------------------------

If heaven is on the way...

-------------------------------

Abby Lockhart walked down her street, heading home from work, the
bitter cold biting at her cheeks and any other part of her skin that
was exposed - not that her clothes helped much in this below-freezing
weather. Today had absolutely sucked, the only good part being Dave
giving her a present, but that had only lasted for a few moments. If
she'd only known what today would bring, she wouldn't have left her
bed, that was for sure. Life was like that a lot, for anyone, really.

Staggering towards her apartment building, she climbed the frozen
steps, careful not to slip and end up right in the place she worked,
and finally made it to her door. If she just went to bed, everything
would be fine tomorrow. It had to be. But, unfortunately, that wasn't
possible just yet, because, as luck would have it, her door was stuck
from the cold.

"Damn it!" she shrieked, before glancing up at the heavens. "Why me?!
What did I ever do to you, huh??"

As if to answer her, the door suddenly pulled open from the inside,
her neighbor Joyce standing in the lobby. "I'm guessing it's going to
stay cold for a while," the young woman said, as soon as Abby was
inside and grabbing her daily mail. "I warned my husband that January
wasn't the best time to move, but that's when his semester starts.
He's in law school."

"Oh," Abby replied, before spying a six-pack of beer bottles on the
floor next to Joyce, who was sitting on the stairs. "Are you locked
out?"

"Fight," she said, smiling ruefully. "I went to the store to pick up
some beer to pass the time. Matthew will be asleep in an hour or
so..."

Abby simply nodded, joining her on the steps, and they began to make
small talk: Abby was from Minnesota, Joyce was from Idaho - "the
potato part, not the white-supremacist part." Then, suddenly, the
young woman held up a bottle of beer. "You look like you've had a long
day. Want one?"

"Thanks..." Abby took the beer hesitantly, already feeling guilty. How
many times had she dreamed of doing this during her six years of
sobriety? Was she really going to throw that out the window tonight,
right now? Was it really worth it, even after the day she'd had? She
raised the bottle to her lips, the smell reaching her nostrils and
already bringing back the rush of being blind drunk and just letting
it all go...

"Hey, that's a birthday card," Joyce said suddenly, breaking Abby from
her thoughts, and she immediately put the beer back down in her lap.
"Is it your birthday today?"

"Yeah," Abby replied, smiling slightly, though there was hardly any
humor in it.

"Here," Joyce said, holding up her beer and clinking necks with Abby,
"is to you making it through another year."

"Happy Birthday to me," the nurse said sardonically, right before she
took a sip.

-------------------------------

I'm a stranger in this town...

-------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Seventeen - Overtime by The She Devil
----------------------------
Chapter Seventeen: Overtime
----------------------------

Little Mona Lisa laying by my side

"Crimson and Clover" pulling overtime

-------------------------------

It had started out harmless enough. She'd heard them screaming at
three in the morning, he claiming that he'd heard voices and she
replying that it'd only been the Home Shopping Network. One thing led
to another, and soon she was wailing for someone to help her. Then
she'd screamed. Shortly thereafter, the police had come, but of course
it'd been nothing but a misunderstanding. Of course. And when she
ended up at the hospital for spraining her ankle, they both knew it
wasn't from falling down. But she refused help once more, because she
loved him very much so, and he loved her as well. Then, finally, right
before almost receiving yet another beating, she'd taken refuge and
stayed for the night, begging not to let him know she was there. The
next morning she was found, badly beaten and left on the front steps
barefoot and without a coat. That had been the straw that broke the
camel's back, and she'd gone to a halfway house, away from him and
into a new life, where she could start again and be safe.

And she *was* safe. However, for doing these favors and getting
involved in her neighbor's affairs, Abby Lockhart was not. And she
should've realized it the minute Brian walked into the ER in search of
his wife, quizzing Abby brusquely on her whereabouts, and he wouldn't
even leave her alone until Dave Malucci's intimidating glare had
steered him away. She remembered him approaching from behind, asking
her, though he was looking right at Brian: "Is there a problem, Abby?"

"No, no problem," Abby stated, then began to turn away, in hopes that
Brian would just leave.

Her hopes were soon dashed, however. "Yeah, there's a problem!" Brian
exclaimed, looking to Dave for help, who only crossed his arms over
his chest. "She won't tell me where my wife is."

"And why's that?" Dave asked coolly, though Abby could easily see he
remained skeptical in trusting this man.

"He beat her up," Abby said, and Brian was immediately angry, rushing
up to her as he yelled: "I did not beat my wife, you vindictive
bitch!"

Dave was between them in an instant, pushing Brian forcefully away
from her. He has used so much force that Brian had almost lost his
footing and fell but had recovered quickly. "No way you talk to her
like that, not if you want to keep breathing through your fucking
nose. So you better keep your distance, man."

"You better tell me where my wife is, *man*," Brian retorted, and
suddenly the two were in each other's faces. Brian was suddenly so
calm it startled Abby. "I didn't touch my wife, I don't know what
happened to her and I'm worried!! Just try to understand where I'm
coming from, buddy. You know how women can be, they get upset and band
together...make shit up..."

"Listen to me, *buddy*," Dave returned, his tone oddly calm, so calm
that for a moment - a split second - Abby thought that Dave had sided
with Brian. "Obviously, your wife says differently. And don't even try
to identify with me," Dave spat, his expression hard and his eyes
glaring. Abby had taken his arm then, but he shrugged it off
defiantly. Oh, great. The last thing Dave needed was to get into a
fistfight right here in the ER and get suspended. They both knew one
more time and the Residency Review Board would be all over his ass.
And it would be her fault for getting him into that mess. "I think you
should leave, before I get security."

"She's my wife, you can't - " the young man started, but Dave cut him
off sharply, saying: "She's a patient here, and now she's under our
care. Get the fuck out or I'm calling security."

"This is bullshit!" Brian spat, pushing Dave brusquely, and Abby was
almost sure he was going to hit him back, but surprisingly he just let
Brian walk off, although his fists were clenched so tight that his
knuckles were white. God, it must have killed Dave not to hit him. But
the minute he left, the Junior Resident was all over her, badgering
her with questions. Who was that? What was he doing here? How did he
know who you were? She'd explained everything - regretfully, since he
immediately told her she was staying with him tonight.

"I don't think so, Dave," she said, and then to his protests: "It's my
apartment, there's a lock on the door. I'll be fine, you don't have to
worry. He won't do anything, he's a law student, he knows the
consequences."

By the time she'd gotten home and settled in for the night, her third
or fourth glass of red wine in her hand as she waited for her dinner
to be delivered from the Italian restaurant, she'd brushed the
incident off. She didn't really need to worry about it anymore, right?
She was fine...perhaps a little inebriated from the alcohol, but other
than that, she was perfectly okay.

Wrong. So very wrong, and she'd known it the instant she'd opened the
door and Brian was on the other side instead of the delivery boy. But
that was okay, since he was only there to pitifully beg for her to
tell him where his wife was, and a threat to call the police had
deterred him from further interrogation. He'd left her apartment then,
after making his way inside by himself to put her food on the counter.
Immediately, she bolted and chained the door, but had soon heard a
loud series of knocks, indicating that he wasn't ready to leave her
alone just yet.

Then, she'd made the most serious and most stupid mistake of her life:
she'd opened the door for the second time. She was just going to yell
out to him to go away, because she was calling the police now, but
Brian had obviously had other plans. With rage backed by violence,
he'd kicked open the door, the futile chain snapping in two, and he'd
punched her square in the face with what she was sure was all the
strength he'd had, sending her to the floor with an unforgiving thud
and sending her into a frightening blackness.

She wasn't quite sure when she regained consciousness or even how long
she'd been knocked out, but she remained still and kept her eyes
clothes in fear that she wasn't alone. Listening intently, she'd only
heard the kettle, which was whistling persistently on the stove.
Opening her eyes carefully - or eye, rather, since she was unable to
open her left one, she realized with fright - she glanced around her
apartment and saw nothing. But...he could still be here...or he could
be coming back. Instinctively, she grabbed her face and rolled up onto
her knees, standing slowly, the pain resonating through her body. Her
hand was wet. Why? Blood. It was covered in blood, and it was coming
from her face.

She rushed to the door then, locking the bolt and then trying the
chain, but of course it wouldn't lock, it was broken. Brian had kicked
it open, remember? Yes, of course, she'd replied to her own thought.
Right before he'd punched you in the face and knocked you out.
Grabbing the phone off of the floor, she'd rushed into the bathroom,
and suddenly felt the cold of the apartment. Oh, God...oh, no...her
robe was open. Jesus Christ...he...he hadn't tried to rape her...had
he? Once in the bathroom, she locked the door clumsily before turning
away from it, sighing with a relief that wasn't yet tangible. It was
then that she'd caught her reflection in the mirror and began
trembling in horror. Her face...oh, God...her eye was swollen shut and
her cheekbone was bruised with dark shades of purple and blue. Opening
the mirror, she'd frantically grabbed at whatever bandages she had,
blotting the blood dripping from her nose and split lip.

Ambulance sirens had then wailed in the distance.

Much like they were doing now, she thought to herself, as she stood at
the Admin Desk in the hospital, filling out a new chart after she'd
misplaced the last one. Her head had been elsewhere lately, the attack
still clear in her mind, haunting her dreams, even weeks later.
Thankfully, she was at least allowed to work again, delving into that
to keep her distracted from her troubles. Her eye was almost
completely healed as well, save the small contusion that she could
almost cover up with makeup. Almost.

"Hey, Abby," the brusque voice of Frank called from the other side of
the desk. "Phone. It's the DA's Office. Something about the attack."

"Thanks, Frank," she said, her curiosity piqued as took the phone from
him and placed it to her ear. Why would the District Attorney's Office
be calling her? Perhaps they'd pushed up Brian's hearing and wanted
her to come in. A multitude of similar thoughts ran through her head
as she introduced herself on the phone. "Hello? This is Abby
Lockhart."

"Hi, I tried reaching you at home, but you weren't there," the
secretary stated, and Abby idly wondered if her voice was usually this
nasal or if she had a cold. "Just wanted to let you know that your
subpoena has been revoked and the trial's been cancelled."

"What??" Abby asked, a little too loudly, because several people
around her turned to look. Making sure to be quieter, she hunched over
on the desk, putting a hand to her forehead in exasperation as she did
so. "Why is it cancelled? What happened?"

"In the interest of all concerned," the woman said, and Abby almost
rolled her eyes at the verbosity, "each side cut a deal: Mr. Westlake
will spend no time incarcerated. However, he was sentenced to
probation and forty hours of community service."

"Forty hours of community service?" Abby squeaked, aghast. "The guy
attacked me!"

"This is his first offense."

"But he's pathological!" Abby insisted, aware of the many eyes on her
but not really giving a damn. "I've had to call the police on him
before."

"He also has to take a mandatory anger management course."

"So, what?" she snapped, incredulous. "He counts to ten before he hits
somebody now?"

"Let's not overlook the fact that two men beat the hell out of Brian
Westlake a couple hours after you were attacked," the secretary
sneered, her words dripping with derision. And then, to Abby's
silence: "But you didn't know anything about that, did you?"

"No, of course not!" Abby exclaimed, agape. "Who the hell would do
something like - " She paused, a flash of blue scrub top catching her
eye. "Uh, thanks, but I have to go. Patients."

She hung up then without another word, storming across Reception and
to Chairs, where Dave Malucci was speaking with a recently discharged
patient. "Just take two of these every day for the next ten days, and
when it runs out go to your own doctor for a checkup. And if you have
any questions, you can - hey!!"

Abruptly, he was pulled away from his patient by one pissed off Abby
Lockhart, who was dragging his soon-to-be sorry ass by the arm to a
desolate part of the ER, where everyone was just far enough away not
to overhear anything. That is, unless she decided to yell, which was
looking pretty probable right now, especially if what she suspected
was true.

"Dave," Abby started, her tone causing worry to flash across his eyes.
He looked as if he were about to wince. "Where did you go after I was
attacked? You left while Susan did the rape kit and you never came
back."

"I was...here," he said, though the words sounded lame to even his own
ears. "I thought you might want some privacy."

"Did anyone ever tell you you're a horrible liar?" she asked, stepping
closer to him, and he instinctively took two steps back. Never mess
with an angry woman. He'd seen his mother standing in that exact same
way before - one hand on her hip, the other pointed directly at his
heart as if to rip it out any second and feed it to him - and he knew
each time to run for cover as soon as he could, otherwise... "You went
to look for Brian, didn't you??"

"Yeah..." Don't lie, either. They know. He doesn't know how, but they
do.

"And you found him," she stated, before taking yet another step closer
to him, and now his back was against the wall. An angry index finger
poked him in the chest. "Because guess what, Dave?? Now, thanks to
you, he isn't going to go to jail."

"What??" he asked, surprised. "I didn't do anything! Okay, okay, I
did, but I only - "

"Beat him up??"

"No!" Deadly stare. "I mean it!" Deadly stare. "I just
might've...roughed him up a bit." Deadly - "Stop doing that! I
just...warned him. And I might've hit him...once," he quickly added.

Dave had done a little more than just "warned him," and he sure as
hell knew it. He'd been pretty angry, to say the least, when he'd
discovered that Abby had been hit and knocked unconscious in her own
apartment by some jerk who'd been beating up his own wife before then.
And then to worry about the fact that she might've been raped while
she was unconscious?? That had been just too much to handle, and he'd
done the first thing that had come naturally: He'd gotten angry...

---

Seem too close to be losing touch

By giving in, what am I giving up

Am I losing way too much?

---

He'd been treating a patient when he got the news. Chuny had burst
into the room, startling him and his medical student, who had been
performing a rape kit on their patient. The patient gasped, and Dave
glanced sympathetically towards her. She was already uncomfortable
with a male doctor around, much less his novice medical student
performing the kit. His medical student winced herself, muttering a
sheepish apology as he turned to Chuny. "What is it?"

"Uh...I..." she sighed, her expression showing her desperation. His
eyes narrowed, as he stepped away from the patient and towards her.
"Look, they didn't want me to tell you, but I thought you should
know..."

"Know what?" he asked, curiously, though he could tell he wasn't going
to like the news at all. "Know what, Chuny?"

A single, whispered word: "Abby..."

He froze. His heart fluttered in his chest. A feeling in the pit of
his stomach formed. The same feeling he used to get when he heard the
front door slam and the drunken slurs of his father emanating from
down the stairs. Something bad had happened now, and he could sense
it, just as he could sense the imminent danger so many years ago.

"Dr. Malucci?" His medical student, breaking him from his reverie.
"What should I do now?"

"Uh...uh...wait. Wait a minute. Just...wait right there," he
stuttered, before turning to Chuny. "Now - now what about Abby? What
happened to her, what's wrong? Is she's hurt??"

"She, uh..." the Hispanic nurse said softly, her attention diverting
to the patient on the bed. "She..."

"Chuny," he urged, waving his hand sharply in front of her eyes so
that she returned her gaze to him. "What happened?? Is Abby hurt?"

"She was assaulted," she blurted out. "Paramedics are bringing her in
now...she was hurt."

"Assaulted?" Dave asked, the questions firing from him. "By who?
Where?? When? And how badly was she hurt??"

"Dave," she interjected, before he could get in another question. "I
don't know the specifics."

"What do you mean you don't know the specifics?! Christ!"

"As in, I don't know the specifics. So stop yelling at me!"

He sighed. "I...I'm sorry. Just...do you know what kind of assault?
Have we heard that much?"

"I don't know anything, Dave," she reported, feeling sorry for him.
"She should be here soon. I just...I just thought you should know,
since she's your girlfriend. But Dr. Lewis told me not to tell you, so
if she asks, you didn't hear it from me.

"Right," Dave replied. He tried to smile. "Thanks. Uh, but could you
do me another favor?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Can you page Dr. Chen and get her in here to finish this rape kit,"
Dave asked, indicating his patient and medical student. "I just...I
need to be available when Abby gets here."

Dave waited with his patient but did not do further work on the rape
kit; he was entirely too jittery and knew if he'd instructed his
medical student his mind would've been elsewhere, and he didn't want
to endanger his patient. He was very careful about that now, ever
since killing that kid... He explained to the patient that another
doctor would be coming in, a female doctor, someone she could relax
with a bit more, and it seemed to ease her nerves. Finally, Dr. Chen
arrived and he bolted from the room, running to the front desk only to
be told by Frank that Abby was already here and in Exam Three. He'd
burst through the door and into the room moments later, startling Abby
and Dr. Lewis, the latter the doctor currently assessing his friend.

"Abby," he breathed, approaching the bed. She'd looked away from him
as soon as she'd recognized him, but she turned to him as he got
closer, showing him her face, which had been disfigured by an angry
fist. He hissed sympathetically, his expression turning from shock to
incredulity and then back to shock. "Oh, my God. What - what happened?
Who did this? Do you know who it was??"

"My neighbor's pissed because I helped his wife get into a battered
women's shelter," she replied flatly, her tone suggesting that it was
no big deal. Dave immediately sensed her bravado, and she, in turn,
picked up on his skepticism. "He was angry. He wouldn't leave. He
kicked in the door and just hit me..."

"Wait," Dave interrupted, as he heard Susan gloving up. "So this guy
knows where you live??"

"Dave," Abby said, almost with exasperation. But when she looked up at
him, her features softened at his obvious panic. "He's my *neighbor*.
He attacked me in my *apartment*."

"Right, right," Dave said, trying to wrap his mind around this. He
briefly glanced at Susan, who was palpating Abby's abdomen with
experimental fingertips, but soon turned back to Abby, realization
dawning on his face. "Hold on. That isn't the guy that came in here
this morning? The one that was giving you bullshit in the hall?"

"Yeah...that's the guy..." Abby said quietly, hating the attention she
was getting from both Dave *and* Dr. Lewis, even though she barely
knew the woman. Her fingers lifted and traced her swollen cheekbone,
even that small touch causing her to wince in pain. She felt like the
Phantom of the Opera, one side of her face smooth and normal, but the
other turgid and ugly. She damn well knew that she *looked* like it
too. "His name's Brian..."

"Did the cops get him?" Dave asked. "They arrested him?"

"They don't know where he is," she admitted. "He hangs out at some
places, like this bar, the Windbreaker or something...but they can't
find him anywhere yet."

"They can't find him?" Dave asked, his voice rising slightly, though
not at Abby but at the cops for not being able to catch this creep.
"He couldn't have just disappeared. Are they double-checking?"

"Dave, I think they know what they're doing," she assured him.

"Obviously not, if they can't find him already. Lie back so I can
examine your face."

"Dr. Malucci?" Susan Lewis interjected, softly but firmly. He glanced
up at her sharply, almost seemingly angry for the intrusion. He didn't
like her, and she knew it, but, frankly, she didn't like him that much
either. And she was pretty sure *he* knew *that*. "Can I see you in
the hall for a moment?"

"Why?" he snapped, as harsh as he'd intended to.

"Dave," Abby sighed, and he was surprised to see her look of pure
desperation when he turned to her. "Please don't fight...I need to
change out of my robe anyway."

He sighed himself, silently, before saying: "All right. I'll be right
outside if you need me, okay?"

God, he didn't want to leave her like that. She looked so fragile in
that bed, wearing nothing but her tightly closed satin robe, which was
stained from her own blood. He shuddered just thinking about how
afraid she must've been as that motherfucker had kicked open the door,
shouting obscenities as his fists came flying towards her. Dave knew
the fear of being overpowered into submission, and he hated knowing
it, hating the familiarity he had with it. Damn it, he wanted to
fucking kill whoever had done this to her, and made her as afraid as
he was imagining in the scenario he'd created in his head of her
attack. He wanted to make *Brian* feel the same fear and pain Abby
had, ten times over. And he knew Brian better hope that he never saw
Dave, because he swore to God it was going to take a miracle to save
him.

"Dr. Malucci," Susan said quietly, calling to his attention and
breaking him away from his rather violent thoughts once they were in
the hallway. She sighed, glancing at Abby, who was out of earshot from
this distance and because of their low voices. "I understand
your...relationship with Abby, but I think you should let me handle
this."

"What?" he asked, puzzled. Sure, he knew all about he and Abby's
passionate love affair that had been going on for months now, so he
wasn't confused by that assumption...it was the fact that she wanted
him to sit back while Abby was suffering and let her take care of
everything. He didn't think so. "I think I can handle this just as
well as you can," he snapped defensively.

"Do you really think so?" Susan asked, as if the answer was obvious or
perhaps he was just plain stupid.

"Listen," Dave said, annoyed. "I'm aware that you and *every* other
doctor thinks I'm a total fuck up, but I am more than capable of
taking care of Abby."

"Dr. Malucci, this isn't about you or your abilities as a doctor," Dr.
Lewis began, stepping in his way as he tried to move past her and back
into the exam room. "And as a doctor, I am sure you could take care
of a patient like Abby. But this *is* Abby, and I don't want you to
get over-emotional in there and make a mistake or make her more
nervous than she already is. You already *are* with the third-degree
interrogation you're giving her in there."

He winced at her words, glancing back to Abby, who was watching them
from the bed. He didn't want to hurt her. Perhaps it was best if he
waited out here while Dr. Lewis examined her, just in case... Nodding
absently, he said: "Yeah...okay. I'll...wait out here."

"I'll take care of her," Susan said, squeezing Dave's arm
reassuringly, though he was almost sure he could see through her
fa�ade. As if she gave a shit what he thought or how he was feeling.
She then stepped back into the room silently, closing the door behind
her, leaving Dave to pace the hall like a caged animal. Dave smiled at
Abby through the glass window before Susan pulled the curtain around
the exam bed, so he couldn't even see what was going on through the
small window in the door, though he did try. Then, suddenly, there was
a hand on his shoulder, startling him so much he jumped and spun
around.

"Luka," he breathed, surprised. As far as he knew, the Attending
wasn't due back from his Doctors without Borders trip for another
week, though that had just the major consensus of the Rumor Mill.
Apparently, the nurses *didn't* know everything, if the tall Croatian
man in front of him stood for anything. "I didn't know you were back
yet," he said then, noting how harrowed Luka looked.

"I just got back today; Dr. Lewis called me in to cover for Kerry," he
stated, before glancing beyond Dave's shoulder and into the exam room.
"I heard about Abby's attack just a few minutes ago. What is going on,
why aren't you in there?"

"Abby was, uh...attacked, by her neighbor," Dave reported, looking up
at Luka. "She was helping his wife get into a women's shelter, and he
got upset and decked her right in her own apartment. As for why I'm
not in there..." he began, "Dr. Lewis thinks I should wait out here. I
was making Abby nervous."

As if on cue, the exam room door opened, and Dr. Lewis poked her head
out. She seemed almost embarrassed. "Dr. Malucci? Abby wants you to
come back inside."

He didn't sneer. He didn't throw an I-told-you-so in her face. If this
wasn't about him then it certainly was not about her. He simply
glanced back at Luka with a promise to update him on what was going
on, and then stepped back into the room, Dr. Lewis following him. He
glanced at Abby then, noticing that she had changed into a gown.
Softly, he said: "Hey."

"Where did you go?" she asked, and it seemed almost as if she was hurt
that he would leave her.

"I just had to talk to Luka for a minute out in the hall," he replied
smoothly, very aware of Susan's eyes on him.

"Luka's here?"

"Yeah, he's waiting outside," Dave stated, before glancing at Susan,
changing the subject quickly - or perhaps getting back onto the real
subject, he didn't know. "How does everything look?"

"So far," Susan replied, "so good."

"What about her eye?"

"We're waiting on Radiology to get back with the films," she said, and
then paused briefly before turning back to Dave. "Abby and I are in a
disagreement on a course of treatment, but we *did* agree to let you
weigh in."

He glanced at Abby suspiciously, and then looked at Susan, eyes
narrowed. "Okay..."

"Upon examination we found a large contusion on her thigh."

His expression froze on his face, as his body visibly tensed. "She got
kicked?"

"I want to order a rape kit, just to be sure." Rape. Rape. The words
seemed to resonate throughout the room, though Dave knew it was only
in his head. "What do you think, Dr. Malucci? Should we order the
kit?"

"I was not raped!" Abby declared, but the words sounded even uncertain
to her own ears.

"You were unconscious," Dave argued, his brow furrowed in apparent
worry.

"Yeah, unconscious," Abby stated. "I wasn't in a coma!"

"She reported that she was unconscious for an undetermined amount of
time," Susan stated, obviously to gain Dave's attention. "She also
reported that the robe was open when she regained consciousness."

"Christ," Abby hissed, exasperated. "My robe fell open...I...I think I
would know if I was raped..." Abby looked at Dave but her eyes were
panicked. "I don't want a rape kit."

"I don't care, you're getting the exam," Dave declared, as he headed
towards the door. "I'll get it from the supply closet." He exited the
room hastily, unwilling to listen to his friend's protests, and found
Luka still waiting outside, who looked to Dave with questioning eyes.
"I'm getting a rape kit."

"She was - "

"No - well, we don't know," Dave interjected, and then seemed to
reconsider. "We don't think so, but we just...want to make sure. But
let me tell you, Luka, he better not have."

"Did they catch the man who did this?" Luka then asked, as he followed
Dave to the supply closet.

"No, not yet," Dave replied, shaking his head in disdain. The
conversation seemed to end there, although Luka continued to walk
silently with Dave into the supply closet. If it hadn't been for the
current situation occupying most of his thoughts, Dave would've been
too embarrassed to even go near the older man; from what the Junior
Resident had heard from John, at one point during his overdose he'd
ended up at Luka's apartment, desperate and crying his eyes out,
acting like one of the patients up in the Psych ward. What bothered
Dave the most, however, was that he couldn't remember most of anything
from that night, so he wasn't even sure what to be so embarrassed
about. Breaking him from his thoughts, he was suddenly aware of the
fact that no matter how hard he searched these shelves, he could not
find what he was looking for. "Where are the rape kits?"

"Check the drug lockup," Luka suggested, and watched as Dave stilled
for a moment. Oh, God, he'd totally forgotten. How could he have
forgotten?? Quickly, he asked: "Do you want me to get it?"

"No, no...I'll get it," Dave said, brushing off Luka's offer. "Why
don't you go check on Abby? I told her you were here..."

Hastily, he left the storage room, crossing the ER to a room he was
all too familiar with. Curious eyes followed him inside, but he
ignored them as he quickly headed to the storage drawers under the
locked cabinets. He pulled open the right drawer, spotting the kit,
but he found his eyes wandering to the shelves above. There they were:
antidepressants, depressants, painkillers, tranquilizers... He could
see his own reflection in the glass, hated the hungry look in his
eyes, but he couldn't look away. Coming in here, he'd been almost
positive he wouldn't be affected by this, because he was over it - but
now, he could see it had been a misconception masked by his pride.

"Dave?" He spun around, turning to Luka in the doorway. "Did you find
it?"

"Yes," he said quickly, grabbing the kit and closing the drawer, then
leaving with Luka, physically away from the temptation, though it
remained ever-present in the back of his mind.

---

Moments later, Luka and Dave were outside in the hallway, waiting for
Susan to finish the rape kit and report the results to them. The
silence that had stretched between them so far hadn't been entirely
uncomfortable, though it would've been had the circumstances not been
so serious. As of now, they were simply too worried about their friend
to concern themselves with each other. However, Luka, who was
attempting to perhaps get his mind off of the current situation, soon
broke the silence.

"So...how have you been?" he asked, in the quiet hallway. Patients had
been cleared a while ago, so they at least had some sort of privacy.
"I, uh...took a later flight that night, made sure you were okay
before I left, but...I never actually got to see you."

Dave immediately knew what night was speaking of, and he glanced up,
surprised. "Really?" He quickly recovered from his momentary shock,
however, and looked away. "I...didn't know that. I'm okay, I guess...
What about you? How was Bosnia?"

The quick change of subject was not lost on Luka, but before he could
reply, Dr. Lewis was exiting the exam room, and she'd barely closed
the door before both men were all over her. She held out her hands in
a pleading gesture, to calm them down and halt their questions. "A
radiologist cleared Abby's head CT, and there *aren't* any signs of
rape." Susan had never heard such sighs of relief as she had at that
moment, and they surprised her. These men really cared for Abby, and
she was almost jealous; she didn't know anyone who cared like that for
her anymore. "She has some broken bones in her face, but they'll heal
nicely. She should be fine."

"Thank God," Luka whispered.

Susan looked at Dave, who seemed to have been silently thanking God.
"Well, she needs friends right now. I think she's a bit more shook up
than she is letting on, so she's going to stay at my place tonight."

"Well, triage is clear," Luka suddenly said, as if needing a change of
subject to wash away the last of his fears. "You just need to prep the
pass-ons. I'm going home, I haven't even unpacked yet."

"I've lived here five months and I haven't unpacked!" Susan exclaimed,
but Luka was already gone - along with Dave, which she thought was
rather weird, considering the scare he'd just had with his girlfriend.
She shook the thought off and sighed then, moving towards Admin.
"Yeah, bail..." she muttered to no one.

Meanwhile, Dave was hot on Luka's trail, calling to the older man, who
was already out the ambulance bay doors. "Luka, wait up!"

The Attending turned around, glancing at Dave curiously. He'd been
hoping to avoid the younger man, especially after that night not too
long ago. It seemed as if Dave were pretending that the whole
encounter had never happened - and with a gasp, Luka realized that he
might not be pretending, per se...he might not remember it at all.
After all, he *had* been overdosing...oh, God. How could Luka had been
so *stupid*, allowing all of that to happen in his apartment.

He knew why. It was because he was in love with Dave. Or perhaps just
infatuated. Obsessed. Luka had not many good things in his life, so
when they came along he was reluctant to let them go. Dave had
definitely been a good thing, despite how blind he had been to it
before now. Maybe that was it. Whatever it was, he wanted the younger
man, and wanted to be wanted by him, too. *Needed* to be wanted.
Needed to be needed. And because of this, and because he knew that
Dave no longer felt this way, it hurt to be around him.

"Luka," Dave said, catching up with him and breaking him from his
thoughts. "Abby mentioned a bar that the little fuck that attacked her
likes to go to."

"You want me to drive you to the police station?" Luka inquired,
though his words sounded more like a statement.

"What?" Dave asked, puzzled. "Why?"

"So you can tell them and they can look for him there."

"No," Dave said, as if the notion were incredulous. "I want you to
drive me to the bar so I can take care of this mother fucker myself."

"Why?" it was Luka's turn to ask, though Dave exact idea was already
running through his brain.

"So we can look for him ourselves. It's called justice, Luka...my
way."

---

The two men entered the bar several minutes later, Dave glancing
around carefully and taking note of every person in the room, the
features of the man he was looking for emblazoned on the back of his
eyelids even though he'd only seen him once. But hitting his best
friend - an unsuspecting woman, no less - was all it took for Dave to
remember each and every curve and plane of her attacker's face.

"Do you see him?" Luka asked, his own eyes searching each bar patron.
"I don't really know what he looks like besides what you've told me."

"Maybe he's not..." Dave trailed off, spotting the curly-haired man
standing by the telephone, who was glancing around cautiously, as if
he knew someone would eventually come here. And the moment he laid
eyes on Dave, he hastily hung up the phone, nearly dropping it while
doing so, and dashed around the pool table as if that would shield him
from one angry Junior Resident ready to knock his lights out.

"I don't have a problem with you, man," Brian said desperately, seeing
the rage in Dave's hard expression as he approached.

"I have a problem with you," Dave spat back.

"I got angry," Brian claimed. "It was a mistake."

Dave almost scoffed in disbelief. "You hit women by mistake?"

"That's not what I meant," Brian said, desperately. "Let me explain,
buddy..."

"I am *not* your fucking buddy!" Dave yelled. "Let me explain
something to you: Your biggest mistake was putting your hands on Abby.
And you know why? Because of me. I'm your biggest nightmare. Me. And
I'm going to make you sorry you were ever born."

"Dave," Luka said, following close behind the younger man. So this was
the man that had beaten Abby? Instantly, his own anger flared, though
Dave was angry enough for the both of them. Sure, he'd seen Dave's
temper before - hell, he'd been on the receiving end once or twice. He
knew how the younger man could yet. Suddenly, he was worried about the
younger man...he could seriously hurt Brian, or seriously get hurt
himself. Either option was not ideal. "Let's just call the police."

"Just hold on a second, Luka," Dave said, though he didn't take his
eyes off of Brian, who was feeling very threatened with Dave and Luka
there.

"I lost my temper, man!" the young law student tried desperately to
explain.

But the younger man was obviously not listening, because a moment
later he reached out and smacked Brian on the cheek with an open hand,
hard enough to send him back into a rack of pool cues. "Let's see you
hit me," he dared then, his voice raising. "Lose your temper with me!"

"I - I'm going to go to the cops right now and turn myself in," he
said then, desperately holding his hands out as he tried to keep the
irate doctor away from him. Suddenly, Dave hooked him in the jaw with
a fist, and then another in his chest. "Wait!"

"You better start swinging back!" Another to the stomach, to the
shoulder blade now. "Oh, I get it. You only hit women, huh??"

"Dave!" Luka exclaimed, watching as the younger man continued to punch
Brian several more times in the head and body. He glanced around
nervously, noting that the bartender was now on the phone with who he
presumed to be the police, and then turned back to Dave and a now
blubbering Brian.

"I was wrong! I got angry!" he was saying, in an almost pleading
manner. "She took away my wife!!"

With a sort of rage Luka had never seen before, Dave turned Brian
around and threw him onto the pool table, knocking the wind out of
him. "*You* took away your wife!"

"I know, I know! I know!" the law student whimpered. "But I loved her.
She's everything to me, and I lost her."

"Whose fault is that??" Dave asked, the pathetic words doing nothing
to quell his anger. "You think she's just going to take it from you?!
She's a human being, you mother fucker! You have no right to treat her
like that, you hear me!?? No right!!"

Drawing back his arm, Dave was about to send an angry fist full-force
squarely into Brian's face when a hand on his bicep stopped him.
"Dave!" Luka said, and he was almost surprised to see the younger man
flinch, as if snapping out of his tirade. Breathing heavily, the
Junior Resident then shook him off, taking a step back before seeming
to reconsider his action.

Abruptly, he grabbed Brian by the shirt, pulling him close. "You touch
her again...I'll kill you."

---

Hey

California waiting

Every little thing's gotta be just right

Um...warning? Yeah...

---

"Dave," she said, almost sighing as she broke him from his thoughts,
pure disappointment laced with his name and written all over her face,
and he immediately felt guilty and ashamed. "Didn't your mother ever
teach you to think before you acted?"

"Abby, I'm sorry," he said, but she held up her hand before he could
barely finish the sentence, stopping him. She glanced up at him,
shaking her head as if to tell him it was useless to try to apologize
and figure out an excuse, because he wasn't getting away with it. And
then, she smiled sadly before turning and walking away from him,
leaving him standing there, feeling worse than he had in a long time.
"Dr. Dave strikes again," he said to himself, aware of the many eyes
of nosy staff members on him, but ignoring them as he quickly picked
up a new chart and hurried off to see another patient - any patient -
as long as he didn't have to think about how he'd let yet another
person down.

-------------------------------

Say

While you're tryin' to save me

Can't I get back my lonely life?

-------------------------------

John Carter was in the Lounge, preparing to cover the end of Dr.
Greene's shift. It would only be a few hours, but he knew Dave was
going home now, and he'd rather be home with him - especially since
John was leaving early tomorrow morning. Sighing as he put on his lab
coat, he heard the door open and turned to see Abby enter.

"Hey, Abby," he greeted her warmly. He approached her, gently touching
her still-healing eye, but she pulled away sharply. "What's wrong? Do
you feel okay?"

"I feel like crap," she replied indignantly, as she began to manhandle
the coffee maker.

"Okay..." he said hesitantly, knowing never to mess with an angry
woman. He quickly changed the subject. "Uh...have you seen Dave? I
wanted to see him before I left."

Abby suddenly slammed the coffee maker, and he winced as it smacked
against the counter. She turned to him, glaring. "You are never
allowed to say that name again. Dave is the devil."

"I...didn't know that," he said, and, as if on cue, the Junior
Resident entered the room. John glanced at him with a puzzled
expression. "Hey, Dave."

"Hey," he replied, smiling, and then saw Abby. "Abby, can I - "

"No!" she exclaimed, crossing the room and brushing past him, leaving
the Lounge in a hurry. Dave sighed, moving towards his locker and
fumbling with the combination.

"What was that all about?" John asked, as the younger man opened his
locker and began to grab his things.

"She's mad at me."

"I figured as much," he said, his brow furrowing. It seemed as if Dave
didn't want to talk about it, but John wanted to know. Abby and Dave
were so close, and sometimes John found himself wondering just *how*
close. It hurt him to think she could know more about Dave than he,
his own lover, did. He turned to Dave then, old enough to recognize
his feelings as jealousy but not mature enough right now to admit it.
"Why is she mad? What did you do?"

"Why do you automatically assume that I did something?" Dave asked,
stuffing paperwork he needed to finish by tomorrow into his knapsack.

"Did you?" John asked.

"I might've..." he replied, and then sighed, turning to his lover. "Do
you remember when Abby was attacked? Well...the cops couldn't find the
guy, and she mentioned he liked to hang out at this bar, so..."

"You didn't," John said, his voice laced with exasperation as he put
two and two together. "Dave, please tell me you didn't..."

"The cops weren't doing anything!" Dave exclaimed, to John's almost
pained expression. Sometimes Dave hated cops...he knew how they
defended their own, knew it first hand. It was what had stopped him
from living with his mother all those years ago, and what had stopped
his father from getting into trouble all those times. He quickly
pushed the thoughts aside. "We went there and found him, we didn't - "

"We?" John asked. "Who's we? You didn't take Abby there, did you??"

"No!" Dave replied incredulously. "I went with Luka."

"Luka??" John was now incredulous. "Why the hell would you go with
Luka?? I thought you two hated each other?"

"This wasn't about us," he stated. "This was about Abby. And we both
care about her, and when the cops weren't finding the guy, we went out
to see if we could find him ourselves."

"What did you do to him?" John asked, now suddenly worried. He knew
Luka and Dave's temper - hell, he'd been on the receiving end of both
men's anger at one time or another. Images of the two of them going
out and hurting Abby's attacker easily came to mind, and he didn't
like that one bit. "What did you do?" he asked again, when Dave didn't
immediately reply, but was instead enthralled in his locker. "That's
why she's mad, because you did something??"

"We just...talked to him," Dave said carefully, but it was too
hesitantly for John's liking. "We just threatened him, we didn't *do*
anything."

"Then why is Abby mad at you?" There was definitely more to it than
that; John knew Dave well enough now to distinguish when he was
telling the truth and when he wasn't.

"Because the bartender said we attacked him," Dave said, his hands
raised to the Heavens in anger, "and now he's not going to jail."

"What?" John exclaimed, tossing Dave a hard stare. "Dave, I don't
think someone would misinterpret a threat as beating the hell out of
someone."

"We didn't beat the hell out of him!" Dave said angrily, slamming his
locker closed. "We just went there and threatened him, you can ask
Luka if you want to. But, frankly, I don't care if you believe me or
not, or what the hell the Goddamn police think. He deserved everything
he got!"

"Dave, it doesn't matter if he deserved it," John said, trying to
reason with him although he knew Dave would never listen to him when
he was angry like this. "You shouldn't have done that. You could've
gotten yourself killed, you know. Luka, too."

"I'm fine, and so is Luka," he said.

"So you admit you hit him?"

"I'm not admitting anything!" Dave hissed indignantly.

"Well, if you didn't do anything wrong," John began, hoping that a
challenge would coax the truth out of Dave, "then be proud of what you
did and admit it. Be proud of it, don't be a coward."

So suddenly it startled John, Dave punched his locker, denting it
slightly. He turned to him then, stepping very close to him, his eyes
wild with anger. "What do you want to hear, John? That I beat the fuck
out of him? Fine, I did. I did. Is that what you want to hear? I
wanted to kill him, John, and probably the only thing that stopped me
was Luka. That, and the fact that he was smart enough not to rape
Abby. I beat the shit out of him, and you know what? I'm not sorry. It
made me feel great watching him cry and beg. Is that what you wanted
to hear? Because it's all true. Any other questions?"

John was so stunned by the cold hatred in Dave's eyes and words, he
almost didn't reply. "No," he finally remembered to say.

"Good," Dave said quietly, and his eyes cast to the floor as he began
to leave the Lounge. He turned back, looking at John sadly. "Look...I
didn't mean to fuck things up for Abby, it just...always sorta turns
out that way when I try to help."

"Dave," John said, suddenly feeling sorry for the younger man, and
sorry that he'd snapped at him. But Dave was already out of the
Lounge, unwilling to hear John's sympathies, though John followed him
out anyway.

"Just the man I want to see!" Jing-Mei Chen chirped, greeting John
warmly as she spotted him. "Look, I've got six patients for you!"

"Hey, you just remember not to get too caught up," Dave reminded him,
as he headed for the Admin desk to sign out for the night. He was
pretty excited about tonight, despite how bad the day had been, having
made plans with John - who was left in the dark, of course, because it
was all going to be a big surprise. Perhaps the surprise would end the
day at least on a good note. "You better be home on time."

"I know," he replied, glancing around reception in fear someone would
ask something and Dave would open his big mouth. Sure, everyone knew
they lived together, but thought they were only roommates. And that
was just fine with John, so why was Dave going around saying something
like that?

"Why? You two have plans or something?" Jing-Mei asked, and John
jumped up from his seat in front of the board to reply before Dave did
when a fairly good-looking - and fairly young - man suddenly surprised
the oriental woman. And don't think John didn't notice the once-over
that Dave had just given him. This was *not* the checkout counter, he
thought to himself, suddenly feeling jealousy creeping up on him,
making his cheeks hot. And he wasn't *that* good-looking, now that
John thought about it. "Randall," she said, giving the twerp a name.
"What are you doing here?"

"Are you off?" he asked, his face filled with hope.

"Uh..."

"Aren't you supposed to be covering Dr. Greene?" Dave interrupted
innocently, covering for his former-crush as he saw her frozen there
like a deer in headlights. He tried to change the subject to take the
heat and attention off of her then, but it did nothing to deter
Randall. "Anyway, I'm out of here. See you all later. Remember,
Carter!"

"I know!" the Chief Resident almost groaned.

"Look, Randall..." Jing-Mei was saying, approaching the young man but
keeping the Reception counter between them. She proceeded to break up
with him rather awkwardly under the gazes of several staff members -
including himself - and Randall somehow managed to seem incredibly
dense about it, though John wasn't surprised. He didn't look like the
smart type. "Jeeze," she said, once he was gone. "We just went out
once."

"One date and he's buying you flowers?" John asked, slightly
surprised.

"Can you believe it?" she asked rhetorically, incredulity written all
over her face. "You give a guy a hand release during 'Harry Potter'
and he wants to marry you!"

-------------------------------

I'm going so fast that I can't slow down

It's hard to get up when you're spinning round and round

-------------------------------

Abby Lockhart shivered in the cold as she made her way down the street
to her apartment building. She lived close to the El and was thankful
for that, so she didn't have far to walk to get on a train and to
work. Walking more briskly as the wind picked up, she stuffed her
hands into her pockets as she made her way through the freezing cold.
Suddenly, she came to a halt, her heart skipping a beat and her breath
catching as she caught sight of him walking into her apartment
building.

Shit!

She took another step forward, before reconsidering her action and
turning around, sighing with deep resignation as she headed towards
the place where she knew she'd be safe.

-------------------------------

I'd tell you the news but nothing's changed

I'd sing you a song but they blew it away

All wrapped up in this stupid ass game

-------------------------------

Everything was almost perfect, Dave decided, as he stood inside the
dining nook of the apartment, double-checking everything just to make
sure. Moving into the kitchen to grab some candles, Dave tasted a bit
of the chicken parmesan he'd made to find that it was probably the
best he'd ever made - and it had better be, after spending hours
carefully cooking it and perfecting the homemade sauce. The vegetables
were steamed and tender, his own concoction of seasoning adding to the
taste. And he'd even bought a bottle of sparkling water, which was
icing nearby, since the two of them couldn't have alcohol. Now,
grabbing the candles and placing them around the room, lighting them
as he went, he softly sang to his Pete Yorn CD, looking forward to the
night ahead.

"Oh, Billie, I want you so..." he sang, lighting a big fat candle that
was a sort of off-white color. "I'm trying to meet you...too many
things they don't know...too many repeatings...of beatings..."

Startling him and almost causing him to burn himself on a match, the
doorbell rang, and Dave turned towards it in puzzlement. John wouldn't
ring the bell, unless he'd lost his keys. But they were attached to
his car keys, so unless he'd walked home from work, it wasn't him.
He'd have called Dave and told him. Maybe their neighbor Mrs. Caruso
wanted something...

Crossing to the door with anticipation - secretly hoping it was John,
though he knew it was unlikely - Dave unlocked it and pulled it open
expectantly, his brow furrowing as he saw her.

"Abby," he said, even more puzzled than he had been upon first hearing
the bell ring. Plus... "I was pretty sure you were never going to talk
to me again."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that," she replied, brushing a strand of brown
hair behind her ear, almost seeming sheepish. "Uh...look, my neighbor
moved back in..."

He waited for her to go on, but she didn't elaborate so he nodded,
leaning in the doorway as he said: "I remember you looking at
apartments in the Lounge today."

"Right," she murmured. She glanced up at him suddenly, her eyes
alarmingly desperate. "I mean, uh, he's there *now*, and I...I didn't
want to stay there. I just...wouldn't feel safe, knowing he's next
door. So I came here, but I don't want to, you know, impose or
anything, but I just..."

"Abby, it's fine," he said, damning himself right now for losing his
temper. That loser would be in jail right now and Abby would be safe,
if it wasn't for him. But at least he could repay her somewhat by
letting her stay here - and absolve himself of a little guilt, he
knew. "Come in, don't worry about it. You can stay in the guestroom
until you find a new place."

"Thanks, Dave," she said, as he moved over to allow her passage.
Suddenly, she found herself wrapped in his arms, and she hugged him
back tightly, but she had to pull away before she lost her composure
completely. She stepped out of his arms and into the apartment,
immediately noting the dimmed lights and several candles, picking up
the scent of what had to be some sort of chicken, and then seeing the
dinner plates set up on the table in the dining nook. Oh, man... "Did
you and John have something planned?"

"Yeah, uh...tomorrow morning he's got an early flight to California,"
he stated, rubbing the nape of his neck as he closed the door behind
him. And upon her confused expression: "The conference in LA? For
emergency room doctors and better care or something like that. He's
going to be gone for the weekend."

"Oh, Dave, I'm so sorry, I totally forgot," she said, mentally
slapping herself before moving towards the door. "You know what? I'll
just suck it up and go home..."

"Abby, no," he insisted, blocking her path to the door. "I said it was
fine, and I mean it. You know what they say about us Italians making
enough food for the neighborhood. We'll just...have a romantic dinner
for three."

"Oh, that makes me feel *much* better," she said dryly. "Move."

"No," he said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and leading her
towards the table. "Do you honestly think whether or not you're here
is going to affect the fact that this night is ending with amazing
sex??"

"Well..."

"Hell, if you really want it to be amazing," Dave suggested with a
wink, "join us."

Abby winked back. "Maybe I will..."

"Thatta girl!" He grinned, pulling out a chair for her and then
grabbing more plates from the cabinets as she sat down hesitantly.
Perhaps the night would be more fun with her here, he considered as he
continued to sing along to a new song, serenading Abby. "Oh, Billie, I
want you so...I'm trying to meet you...Too many things they don't
know...too many repeatings, of beatings..."

Theatrically, Dave bowed down and extended his hand towards Abby,
silently asking her to dance. At first, she waved him away, laughing
as she did so, but he took her hand and pulled her up, and they moved
into the traditional dancing stance. They swung in circles until they
were nearly dizzy, watching where they were stepping since the
apartment hadn't been made for this. He held up her hand above their
heads and she spun, before Dave dipped her, tripping over Kermit as he
did so, causing her to nearly fall right on her ass and also causing
them to laugh even harder.

"*Ahem*" they heard, glancing up from the floor to see John standing
in the doorway, a puzzled grin on his face, along with a cocked
eyebrow. Had they really been so loud they hadn't heard him enter?
"Uh...do you two want me to leave?"

"Hey, John," Dave said, still chuckling slightly. He stood, extending
an arm to Abby to help her up from the floor once he was. "Nah, you
don't have to do that. Just hope you don't mind we started your going
away party without you."

"Long as you didn't eat anything without me," he replied,
instinctively approaching Dave as the younger man did the same, and
they wrapped their arms around each other in a loving hug. John's eyes
danced around the room, catching sight of the candles and food, while
his nose gave attention to the different aromas: the chicken, the
tomato sauce, a few smells he didn't recognize, and then, of course,
Dave - musky, manly Dave, who had the most wonderful natural scent.
"You did all this by yourselves?"

"Actually," Abby interjected as she played with her napkin, feeling
like a peeping tom as the two men embraced intimately. "I just got
here. I sorta crashed the party..."

"This is all very nice," John stated softly, looking directly into
Dave's brown eyes. The obvious effort and time put into this evening
touched him, proving all the more that the younger man loved John just
as much as John loved him. He brushed his lips against Dave's then,
pulling away afterwards but keeping his hand in the Junior Resident's.
Suddenly noticing Abby probably feeling like a third wheel, he asked:
"What about you crashing the party?"

"Oh, well, uh..." Abby began, but suddenly found herself stuttering.
What if John didn't want her here? It was, after all, his apartment
too. She didn't want to play Mommy against Daddy, so to speak,
especially tonight of all nights.

"Abby's neighbor moved back in," Dave picked up for her, sensing her
discomfort. "It wouldn't be safe for her there, so I said it was okay
if she stays here a few days."

"Sure," John agreed, smiling reassuringly at her. He knew what it was
like to be attacked and feel defenseless, and also what it felt like
to face your attacker again. But living right next to them, vulnerable
like that? He'd never make someone he cared for go through that. "Mi
cosa, t� cosa...is that how it goes??"

"Yeah," Dave said, chuckling. "Or something like that..."

Dinner, at least for Dave, went relatively slow. They'd only taken
about an hour to eat, but it felt like at least three, and they were
*still* sitting here talking and picking at their leftovers. Come on!
Dave wanted to get out of here, he was just itching to get into the
bedroom. And whether or not they actually got there, Dave was going to
fuck John in two minutes, even if he had to do it on this very table.
Hey, it *was* probably the only place left in the apartment they
hadn't done it yet. Dave could think of several off the top of his
head: The kitchen, in front of the refrigerator, the glasses and other
things inside clanking against each other as the two men slammed into
it again and again. And then that night they barely made it through
the door before going at it, ending up somehow on the coffee table.
Oh, man, and then that one time on the couch, Dave sitting back and
John on his lap, facing him and riding him so agonizingly slow while
looking right into his eyes. God dammit, he thought to himself, as he
felt the raging hard-on beneath his denim jeans. This was doing
nothing to deter his horny urges.

"Dave, stop it," he suddenly heard from Abby, and glanced up at her
with puzzlement. "You're getting annoying."

"What am I doing?" he asked.

"You're fidgeting. Stop it," she said, but knew that when he did that
there was something wrong. "Is something up?"

"You could say that," he stated quietly, fighting back a snicker. He
looked up at her confused expression, before quickly recovering. "Uh,
no, nothing's...up. I'm just..."

"Tired?" she offered, when he trailed off.

"Yes!" he exclaimed, startling her and John. He snapped his fingers,
before pointing as if he'd had an epiphany. "That's it. I'm tired. And
I'm going to the bedroom."

"Okay," John said, reaching across the table to grab more salt for his
potatoes, or what was left of them. He suddenly felt an elbow in his
ribs and jumped, glancing up at Dave, who had delivered the unexpected
blow. "What?"

"I'm going. To. The bedroom," he articulated slowly, staring John
straight in the eyes with a mischievous glint that he knew all too
well.

"Oh! Right, yeah, the bedroom," John repeated, and then turned to
Abby. "Yeah, me too. Now that Dave mentions it, I'm really tired."

"I'm sure," she murmured, compressing a smile. "You guys go ahead,
I'll clean this up."

"You sure?" Dave asked, although he was already halfway to the
bedroom. And before she could even reply: "Thanks, Abby! You're the
best!"

"I know," she said, reminding herself to search the kitchen cabinet's
for a bag of popcorn to heat up, because she was pretty sure she'd be
able to hear the boys all the way in here in a few minutes, and no way
was she going to miss this.

-------------------------------

Hey

California waiting

Every little thing's gotta be just right

-------------------------------

Their bodies were entwined before they even entered the bedroom, Dave
hastily kicking the door closed behind him as their lips met in a deep
kiss, their hands fumbling with clothing all while attempting to make
it to the bed without falling over each other. Hell, who cared as long
as they got to have sex, even if it had to be on the floor? And Dave
was so fucking horny right now he was ready to take John right against
the door, though he knew from experience it was a difficult task,
since he was shorter.

Damning genetics, he led John further into the room, their lips never
parting as they paused briefly to enjoy their make-out session before
getting hot and heavy. John's lips parted then, and Dave took that as
an invitation to snake his tongue inside, feeling his gums and smooth
teeth, and when John began sucking on Dave's tongue, he grinned, his
chuckle soon changing to a moan. Dave's hands moved to John's shirt,
unfastening the buttons as quickly as his could without tearing them
away completely, and he felt John's hands on his back, moving up his
shirt to feel the hard muscles beneath his skin. Then lower they
moved, until they were at the small of his back, tracing the tattoo
there expertly, before he felt John brushing his knuckles over his
ass.

"Wait," he breathed into their kiss, tensing ever so slightly. "Let's
move to the bed."

"I sorta like this," John said with a devilish wink and a wicked grin,
placing one hand at the back of Dave's neck, pulling him into another
kiss just as deep as the first one. And again, the hand was at his
back, and then on his ass, forcing him to thrust against John.

"Stop," Dave tried to say, but the hand at the back of his neck was
not relenting, as it was holding him still while John continued to
kiss him and touch him, and Dave felt his heart beating more rapidly
than it should be. He panicked for a moment, frozen in place before he
regained his wits and snaked a hand between them, pushing John a good
foot away. "I said stop," he breathed, when he could find his voice
again.

"I heard you," John stated calmly, and the fact that Dave now took a
step back was not lost on him. "I just didn't see any reason to. We do
this all the time."

"I just...wanted to move to the bed." Something was very wrong here,
Dave knew, and he wasn't sure if he liked being alone with John right
now. But he wasn't sure what bothered him more: that, or the fact that
he didn't know why.

"I'm not going to hurt you, you know," John said, and Dave almost
seemed surprised by his words.

"I know," Dave replied, though hesitantly so. He glanced up at John,
but only met his eye for a moment before casting his gaze quickly to
the floor. "I just...I mean...you know I don't do that."

"You say 'that' as if I'm asking you to blow me, or let me fuck you,"
John snapped, and Dave visibly flinched at the harsh words. But John
was sick and tired of Dave's lame excuses. "But that isn't the case
here at all, because you'll never let me do any of those things, will
you??"

Dave glanced up once more at John, but didn't even know where to
begin. What the fuck was John doing, asking him a question like that?
They'd talked about this before... "We've talked about this before,
why is it a problem now?"

"It's not a problem," John stated, shaking his head as he held out his
arms in a pleading gesture. "I just want to know why. What makes you
so afraid of me?"

"I'm not afraid of you."

"Yes, you are!" John exclaimed, and then reached out and grabbed
Dave's ass, who immediately pulled away. But John reached out again,
just touching Dave anywhere, and the younger man kept on flinching.
"See! You're afraid! What made you so afraid of that, afraid of
*me*??"

Suddenly, Dave turned and pulled open the door, bolting from the room
and into the living room, and he knew John was right behind him,
yelling at him to come back, but he wasn't sure if he would suffocate
if he went back into the bedroom. He saw Abby in the corner of his
eye, too, turning fast to glance at him from the kitchen, where she
was cleaning up. "What's going on?" she asked, puzzled as she sensed
something amiss.

"We're not finished talking, Dave!" John exclaimed, both ignoring
Abby's question.

"What is this, Truth or Dare??" Dave spat, avoiding his previous
questions completely. No way in hell was he about to answer to John's
accusations, who shouldn't even be doing stuff like this anyway. "You
want to talk about secrets? You won't even let me go near you when
we're together in public, not even at places where people don't know
us!"

"That isn't what this is about," John said, knowing that Dave was
avoiding the subject.

"Maybe it should be," was the quick reply he received. "Maybe I should
be able to go out with you in public and joke around with you and talk
to you and - and not be afraid that if I even go near you you'll get
all weird. And maybe I should be able to - "

"And maybe I should be able to touch you!" John interrupted, feeling
his anger rising. "This isn't about me, Dave, and I'm not going to let
you make it about me! I just thought we were closer than this by now -
"

"Uh..." Abby said, inching towards the hallway. She knew she shouldn't
be here for this, but the two men were blocking her path. "Excuse
me..."

"Closer?" Dave asked, hardly hearing what Abby had just said. "You
don't seem too keen on being 'closer' in public."

That was it! Sure, this argument wasn't about that, but now he was
just plain mad and Dave wasn't going to get away with that comment.
"Do you know what you're asking of me? Do you have *any* idea what
you're asking of me??"

"I'm just asking you not to be ashamed of me!"

"You don't even let me *touch* you," John yelled, incredulous, "but
you want me to tell everyone how much I *love* you?!"

"You know what?" Dave asked then, placing his hands on his waist. "I
don't want to talk about this anymore."

"It's always about what you want, isn't it??"

"Then maybe you should just leave!" Dave yelled now, turning away from
John and moving into the kitchen. "You know, I thought I could have
this nice dinner for you, and make it real special, but that obviously
isn't what you want. Just - fuck it! Fuck dinner, fuck everything!"

"Yeah, fuck everything except you!" John retorted angrily, and Dave
reciprocated by picking up a fork from the dinner table, throwing it
violently into the sink. It clattered into a dish, which immediately
exploded, sending pieces everywhere. "I can't believe how immature
you're being. God, fuck this. I'm going to the conference."

"Just fucking leave already!!" Dave screamed, and John grabbed his
coat and bags, which had been waiting by the door. "Get the fuck out!"

"I'm fucking going!!" he yelled back, right before doing so,
effectively slamming the door behind him, the crack of wood against
wood resounding in the room.

"And don't fucking come back!!" Dave said to the closed door, not
caring if John could hear him or not. He suddenly looked to the floor,
the apartment going still except for Dave's harsh breathing.

"Dave, you have to go after him!" Abby suddenly exclaimed from her
spot in the apartment. He glanced at her then, his hard gaze almost
startling her.

"Why?" he simply asked, as if it were the most ridiculous thing in the
world.

"Because you just told him to leave and never come back," she stated,
her tone suggesting that he might just be retarded.

"And I meant it," he spat, his hands as shaky as his breath. "I can't
fucking believe him, can you fucking believe him??" he asked, though
she was pretty sure it was a rhetorical question. Then, startling her,
he reached out and punched the wall, denting the plaster with an angry
fist. Suddenly, he seemed defeated, his shoulders slumping and his
face taking on an almost pained expression. "Shit..."

The microwave suddenly beeped, and Abby and Dave instinctively looked
at each other, the latter puzzled, but the former suggesting
tentatively: "Want some popcorn??"

She cringed as the only reply she received was the sound of Dave's
bedroom door slamming closed behind him.

-------------------------------

Say

While you're tryin' to save me

Can't I get back my lonely life?

-------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Eighteen A - - A Beautiful Life by The She Devil
------------------------------------------
Chapter Eighteen, Part One: Beautiful Life
------------------------------------------

You seem to make the same mistakes every day

Sometimes it's hard to open your eyes

You want to be the only cake on the table

You say you don't like surprises

You want to find a pretty place you can stay

You just don't want to live in L.A.

--------------------------------

*"Just fucking leave already!! Get the fuck out!"*

*"I'm fucking going!!"*

The argument had replayed itself continually in John's head since he'd
left the apartment, like a perverse mantra that would never end. When
it had first started, John had been angry, fuming in the car as he
drove at speeds that weren't legal to the airport. He'd damned Dave in
his head *and* out loud over and over again for not trusting him, or
not loving him enough - or something. He wasn't entirely sure, but he
*did* know that somehow this wasn't his fault. And why should it be?
He was very honest with Dave, and expected the younger man be the
same. Even John's love for him was no secret; something Dave had yet
to profess to him.

Perhaps Dave *didn't* love him. The never-ending argument that John
could not get around or stop thinking about. The signs were there that
Dave loved him, the signals too, so what were words? People looking
for a good lay said it to others all the time, hollow words that
couldn't be true no matter how passionate they were said. What were
words if Dave didn't mean it? What were words if it were obvious that
Dave was there, with him, and cared for him deeply? Damn it, this was
going to drive him insane! Surely this was punishment for some past
sin.

*"And don't fucking come back!!"*

Some way he had of showing it, John thought angrily. Cussing him out
and indignantly telling him never to come back. Why couldn't Dave see
that all John wanted was for him to be open with him, to be able to
share things with him, and love him? Because how could you love
someone if you were afraid of them? You couldn't. It was as simple as
that.

So maybe...just maybe...if John got Dave to tell him *why* he was so
afraid of him, he wouldn't be afraid anymore, because they could get
past it. And then Dave would stop being so fucking uptight, tell him
that he loved him, and John could finally be happy.

Wow, John thought. If that wasn't selfish, then he didn't know what
was. His anger quickly dissipated to guilt as he realized he wanted
this for his own insecure reasons. But what kind of relationship - a
steady, in-this-for-the-long-run relationship - had secrets, secrets
that kept two people from being truly intimate. And not just intimate
sexually. No, John wasn't in this for sex. He could never touch Dave
for the rest of his *life* and it wouldn't matter to him one bit. He
wouldn't care as long as he knew why, as long as Dave trusted him
enough to tell him - to love him. It was that simple.

And what kind of relationship existed when one person loved the other,
but they did not return that love? A bad one. A kind of relationship
that would only hurt in the end. And there would be an end, one way or
another. It would end, and, most likely, it would end badly. Didn't
they always? Of this, John was convinced, and he almost broke down at
the thought. Almost, until the cheery voice of an airline attendant
announced: "Final boarding call for flight twelve-oh-seven to Los
Angeles, California. Please present your boarding pass now."

John grabbed his bag - small enough to carry on the plane but big
enough to hold three days worth of clothes and other various items -
and glanced dejectedly at the concourse. He took a step towards it,
but then stopped, looking back to way he came, the way to the exit. He
hesitated, before sighing and turning back towards the gate, his
ticket ready. Because those kinds of relationships only ended.

--------------------------------

I just want to be where the sun shines down...

I just want to be with you

--------------------------------

John and Dave had often had different shifts at the hospital:
sometimes one had the night, the other the day; maybe one was working
in the morning, and the other in the afternoon. In any event, it was
not unnatural for either one of them to have to sleep alone. Sure,
both would miss the other while doing so, but it never really
interrupted their sleep since they both knew it was not permanent.

Tonight, however, just like last night, Dave could not sleep for the
life of him. No matter how hard he tried, how still he lay, how
relaxed he forced himself to be, nothing would work. In vain, he'd
tried to find the right position, but he knew the only right position
was in John's arms.

At least last night he'd gotten about an hour of sleep, but tonight he
couldn't even seem to doze. Finally, he gave up, and got out of bed
and ventured into the living room. Restless, he walked around the
apartment, sat down and read a book, got up again and went to the
refrigerator, saw nothing of import and went back into his room. A few
moments later, he came out again, and went back into the kitchen, a
sleepy Kermit following his master out. He got a glass of water,
leaning against the counter as he drank it, trying to concentrate on
the task and not think about his relationship with John. God, he
wished he had something stronger than juice or water in the apartment,
but no, fucking John wouldn't think of having anything with alcohol
here...not even for company.

He'd gone and ruined that, hadn't he? All because he couldn't let John
touch him. And he was angry with himself for being such a scared
little shit. Maybe if he just...let John...no. No, he couldn't, he
couldn't. He almost gagged at the implication. And, for this, he was
angry with John. The older man *knew* Dave didn't like to do it -
hell, he didn't like it to the point that he hated it. Why would
someone who claimed they loved you make you do something you hate?

It dawned on Dave, at that moment, that John might not love him. And
it startled him so much he dropped the glass he'd been drinking from
at the kitchen counter. It exploded at his feet, sending shards and
liquid across the linoleum, scaring his cat into hiding. "Shit..."

"Dave?" he heard a few moments later, and glanced up to see Abby in
her pajamas and socks. "What happened?"

"I just got up to get a glass of water," he explained, watching her as
she moved towards the paper towel rack near the sink.
"It...slipped..."

She nodded as she heard him let out a shaky breath, and glanced up to
see an expression too worried for a broken glass of water. "Are you
okay?"

"Do you think John loves me?" he asked, seemingly out of nowhere.

"I...I think he does," she replied, her own expression displaying her
concern. "Dave, it was just a fight. You guys'll be fine."

He shook his head, bending down to pick up the glass. "No, this
was...Abby, this keeps happening. It keeps happening..."

"Dave..." she started, sympathetically. She hadn't dared bother him
last night after John had left, not wanting to get in the way of his
warpath, but she'd heard him punching things and swearing as
colorfully as he knew. This had torn Dave apart, and she could see it
clearly now more than ever. "Just calm down, everything will be fine."

"You don't know that," he insisted, reaching for a piece of glass, his
other hand supporting his weight. "How do you know that??"

"Dave, stop it," she demanded, watching him. "You're going to cut
yourself."

"What?"

"I said you're going to - "

"Shit! Fuck! Shit!" He glanced down and saw the blood running out from
underneath his hand, and turned it to find a shard of glass stuck in
the skin. He hissed between his teeth. "Shit, that kills."

"In the sink," Abby said, as she turned on the water. "Get it in the
sink!"

He moved quickly to the sink, leaving drops of blood in his wake, and
put his hand under the cold water. It did not help the stinging,
though he knew warm water would only make it worse, so he forced
himself to take the pain. At least concentrating on that allowed his
thoughts to stay away from John. Once the blood was mostly clear from
his palm, he could see the cut clearly, and reached for the glass with
his other hand.

"Dave, don't - !" Abby winced, although Dave did not, as the glass
clattered into the sink. "Oh, that's just gross. And you're going to
need sutures."

"I'll be fine," he said, grabbing a bunch of paper towels off of the
roll and pressing it to his hand. Abby began to protest, but he cut
her off sharply: "What I *need* is to go to back to bed. I have an
early shift tomorrow."

She stepped back, nodding. "Okay. I'll...clean this up."

"You don't have to," Dave snapped irritably, although Abby knew not to
take it personally.

"I know, but I will," she stated, and then gently touched his back.
"Go to bed."

"Thanks, Abby," he said softly, and she watched him as he walked into
his room. "Night."

"Night," she replied in turn, and then let out a sigh. She cleaned up
the glass slowly, taking her time because she wasn't tired and hated
lying in bed doing nothing, especially with her meandering thoughts.
Once she was finished, she made herself some tea, sitting at the
kitchen table and rubbing her temples with her fingertips. God, she
was so worried about Dave.

Truth be told, she was worried about herself too. She of all people
knew she was in no position to be helping anyone, as she wasn't
exactly in the best state of mind either. Hell, she wasn't even sober
anymore, she'd lost that on her birthday. And she'd been dying to talk
to her best friend about it, but Dave was barely holding it together
himself. So she was on her own, at least for now, and it scared her.
What if things got worse and Dave fell further apart, and what if she
wasn't strong enough to hold him together? Most likely, they'd implode
together.

"Abby?" she heard, and startled before seeing Dave standing in the
kitchen doorway. He glanced at her apologetically. "Sorry, didn't mean
to scare you."

"That's okay," she said.

"Can't sleep?"

"No..." she admitted, shaking her head as he joined her at the table.

"Sorry I woke you before."

"You didn't," she said quickly, before glancing off. "I was already
awake."

"Well," Dave started, his eyebrows raised expectantly, "we all know
why I can't sleep. Why can't you?"

"Nothing special," she lied, knowing if he knew the truth he'd be
pissed. Maybe worried. No, pissed *and* worried. And then there were
the nightmares about her attack with Brian. Sometimes he did more than
just punch her out in her dreams...she shuddered, not wanting to think
of it. "Just...same old, same old. No need to worry."

His eyes narrowed, as he pulled the tab from her teabag and started
playing with it, twisting it and ripping it up in little pieces.
Quietly, he said: "You know...it's hard to talk about stuff sometimes,
right? But sometimes you just gotta... The lady that I see is pretty
good."

"What?" Abby asked, a puzzled smile on her face. She almost sounded
incredulous. "Like a shrink?"

He glanced up quickly, before shifting his eyes back to the paper. She
was about to apologize, thinking she must've offended him, but he
grinned. "I know, I feel the same way, but...I don't know. Sometimes
it just helps to...you know...get stuff off your chest. Stuff you
don't talk about to anyone."

Abby narrowed her eyes. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," he replied, and then suddenly grinned. "Besides, she's kinda
cute." He winked. "Reminds me of you."

Abby rolled her eyes, shaking her head, although she was smiling. He
pushed out his chair then, tossing the torn up piece of paper into the
trash nearby. "I'm gonna go back to bed. I didn't realize how early it
was." She hadn't either. When she glanced at the clock she saw it was
almost two in the morning. She looked back to him, but he hadn't moved
from his chair yet. Instead, he was pursing his lips several times, as
if he was trying to say something but didn't exactly know how to
start.

"What is it, Dave?"

"Listen, Abby...I want you to know that you can talk to me...about
anything. I mean, I know I may not be the most...sensitive guy, or the
wisest - or even the smartest, but...sometimes I can be a really good
listener."

She smiled at him, touched that he would say something like that to
her. She knew it was very awkward for him to talk about serious things
like that. Softly, she said: "Thanks."

"Try to get some sleep, okay?" he asked, and she nodded. He stood,
leaning over the table to kiss her on the head, before mussing her
hair playfully. "G'night."

"'Night," she said, watching him walk from the room. Suddenly, she
called out: "Hey, Dave!"

"Yeah?" he asked, turning back to her.

"Don't sell yourself short."

--------------------------------

I really hate the way you push me away

I do not like it when you shut me out

I say I love you but I don't really know you

I want to change you but I don't know how

I want to leave when it gets ugly and cold

I want to leave but I got nowhere to go...

--------------------------------

In his room, Dave sat down on the edge of the bed. He'd just said all
that bullshit about talking to someone, and here he was ready to go
absolutely crazy because he wasn't able to himself. He knew he should
go back there and maybe get everything out of his system to Abby,
knowing she'd care to hear it. But he couldn't, just like he couldn't
bring himself to even lay down. This was John's bed. And this was
John's room. Hell, the whole damn *apartment* was his. Everything was
a constant reminder of the man, and he couldn't stand it any longer.
He just wanted to forget him, forget their fight, forget everything,
but he had no way of doing that since nothing held his interest for
too long.

Nothing in the apartment, at least.

No, he couldn't. He couldn't. Could he? What was one drink? It wasn't
as if he'd been an alcoholic, it was drugs that he'd been addicted to.
So he could have a drink, right? Just this one time? One time was
okay. One time was okay. And he repeated this to himself as he pulled
on jeans and a sweatshirt, socks and shoes, jacket and wallet. One
time was okay. One time was okay, damn it. Dave paced the room for
about an hour, partly trying to talk himself into it, partly trying to
talk himself out of it, and partly making sure the coast was clear.

Quietly, he opened the door and peeked into the hallway, holding his
breath as he listened. Once he was satisfied Abby had gone back to
bed, he moved down the hallway, wincing as he heard each groan of the
apartment under his feet. Quickly, he got to the apartment door,
unlocking it as silently as he could before pulling it open, light
from the hallway spilling into the living room.

"Dave?" Son of a bitch! Just when he thought he'd made it! He turned
from the doorway of the apartment, seeing Abby. She had to have heard
him in the hallway to be standing where she was now, unless she
possessed unearthly speed that he didn't know about. "Where are you
going?"

"I'm...going out for a minute."

"Where?" she asked, puzzled. "It's two o'clock in the morning."

"I know," he replied, as if there was nothing else to it.

"Dave. Where are you *going*?" she repeated, more firmly this time.
"It's dangerous at this time of night."

"I live for danger," he replied, his words edged with sarcasm.

"Dave..."

"Just leave me alone. Go back to sleep."

"Just leave you alone?" she repeated.

"Yeah, leave me alone!"

"Dave." She actually sounded exasperated. "You aren't going anywhere
until you tell me where it is you're going."

"Who are you??" he asked, annoyed. He wasn't really upset with her,
but he wanted her to leave him alone so he could get out of here. He
couldn't stay here, it was like he was suffocating. He felt as if he
didn't leave, he'd go completely nuts. So he snapped at her, hoping in
turn she'd get angry with him and leave him alone. "My mother? No! My
girlfriend? No! You don't even *live* here! This *my* apartment, and
I'll go wherever the hell I feel like it. And wherever I *do* go is my
own fucking business!!"

With that, he left, slamming the door behind him, and he was satisfied
when he made it all the way down the street without incident. He
stuffed his hands into his pockets, shivering against the bitter cold
of this February night. He knew where he'd rather be - in bed, with
John. But he supposed getting so drunk he didn't now *where* he was or
who he was with, was the next best thing. It was okay too, because
everyone got blind drunk once in a while. He just had to be extra
careful, that was all. And he would be. It was only going to be this
one time.

"Dave!" He sighed silently, shaking his head as he kept walking, his
pace quickening with each step. He heard Abby's footsteps against the
sidewalk behind him, coming closer. "Dave, wait! Dave...stop!" He
didn't stop though, he just kept walking, ignoring her as she came up
next to him, walking quickly to keep up with his long legs. She was
only in sneakers and her damn pajamas. God, she had to be freezing.
Not to mention that it wasn't safe for her out here. "Dave, where are
you going?? You can't just go out in the middle of the night,
someone's going to mug you or kill you."

"This is a nice neighborhood, Abby," he said dismissively.

"It's not that nice, Dave!" she stated. "No part of Chicago is 'nice'
at two a.m.!"

"You're right," he stated, stopping abruptly, and she took another
step before realizing that he wasn't walking any longer. She turned,
cautiously. "That's why you should go home. Just get out of here,
Abby, and leave me alone."

"No," she said, hot on his trail as he began walking again, leading
her across the street and near the main part of the neighborhood.
"Dave, come on. Where are you *going*?? You can't just keep walking.
Let's go home and we can talk about this."

"I don't have a home!" he yelled suddenly, startling her. With that he
began walking again, he was heading towards the twenty-four-hour
convenient store on one of the street corners near the apartment
building. "Everything there reminds me of him! Shit, the whole Goddamn
*apartment* is his! Everything! God, I just...I just need to forget
that."

She nearly tripped over her own two feet, realizing just what he
meant. "Forget?"

"Yeah, forget," he replied sharply, roughly opening the door to the
store and quickly moving to the back of it. He was fully aware of Abby
watching him as his eyes searched the shelves for what he was looking
for. They soon landed on the vodka, but she grabbed his arm before he
could reach up and grab it. "Abby, I said leave me alone." He was
warning her, and she knew it.

"I'm not letting you drink that vodka, Dave," she cautioned, although
she felt anything but sure of herself. Hell, if he bought it she would
probably end up drinking it with him.

Dave laughed out loud, a mean laugh that she'd never heard before.
Dave was not a mean person - cocky, overzealous and witty, but never
had he been mean. It hinted exactly what kind of state of mind he was
in, and scared her immensely. Incredulously, he said: "You're not
going to let me drink it? And how exactly do you intend to stop me?"

"I..." She let out a shuddering breath. "I'll call..."

"Who?" he asked, when she trailed off. "John?? Because last time I
checked he was on his way to sunny California." She began to warn him
again, when he leaned down so his eyes were level with hers. She
didn't like the way it made her feel, as if she was a child to be
scolded, and she found herself looking down, as if she *was* a child
to be scolded. "You can't stop me, Abby. Nobody can."

"Dave, please don't do this," she whispered, her eyes beseeching.
"You'll jeopardize your whole recovery. One drink is all it takes."

"Save the sponsor crap. I'm not the drunk here," he snapped, ripping
his arm away from her hand, grabbing the vodka and heading to the
checkout counter. He practically slammed it onto the counter as he
pulled out cash from his wallet. "I don't need it right now."

"What *do* you need?" she asked, trying to knock some sense into him.
"That vodka?? You think that'll make it all better?? Because it only
makes it worse, Dave. You've been there, you know what it's like.
Drugs, alcohol, it's all the damn same in the end, because you'll end
up dead in the end. Dead, Dave! You were halfway there only two months
ago! You were *damn* lucky, and you know that, too. Next time you
might not wake up with a tube shoved down your throat and IVs all over
the damn place! Because next time you might not even wake up at all!!"

He flinched at her words, remembering how terrified he'd been waking
up in the ICU like that, how angry he'd been with himself that he
could be so weak, and how horrified he was at the fact that he'd hurt
everyone he loved. He knew Abby was right, knew it with every logical
fiber of his being. But, right now, he couldn't say he was thinking
very rationally, couldn't say he wanted to. John was gone, perhaps
forever. He could get smashed and forget that, he knew, and he
wouldn't buy anymore alcohol after this. Wasn't like he was taking
pills or anything. It was just vodka. Just a drink. What harm could a
drink do??

"It's just a drink, Abby," he found himself saying.

"Please, Dave, don't listen to that voice telling you that it's only
alcohol - that it's only one drink," she pleaded. "You think you'll be
able to control it, but how do you know?? How do you know? Now, it's
just one drink, but how do you know if later it'll be 'just one pill?'
And don't even say it's not the same, because it is, Dave, it is!"
Silent tears brimmed at her eyes, and Dave's fingers tightened around
the bottle that was resting on the counter as he threw her a guilty
glance. "You have no idea what it felt like to watch you like that...I
can't go through it again. Please don't make me go through it
again..." The tears spilled over then, rolling down her cheeks. "
"I...I'm not strong enough to do that again. If you won't stop for
yourself and you won't do it for John, then please...please do it for
me...I know it's wrong to ask, I know that you need to do it for you,
but right now do it for me...please, Dave, do it for me..."

"Sir?" he heard, from the clerk, who looked concerned, and rightfully
so. "Do you want to buy that?"

He let go of the bottle, pushing it towards the cashier. "No," he said
softly, shaking his head. "Sorry to bother you..."

Abby turned and left the store without another word, and Dave paused
before following her out. He found her on the sidewalk, doing a poor
job of trying to compose herself.

"Hey," he said quietly, walking up to her wrapping his arms around
her. She wrapped her arms around him as well, burying her face in his
shirt, taking comfort in his strong embrace and natural scent. "What
was that all about?"

"I...I'm sorry," she said, as she blinked away the last of her tears.
"I shouldn't have guilted you like that."

"No, *I'm* sorry," he said, his brow furrowed. "I didn't know...I
mean...I didn't know that I hurt you that much...I'm sorry that I've
hurt you. That I keep hurting you."

"No, Dave..." she said, looking up into his eyes. "It's okay, really.
You're just dealing with a lot right now...we'll work through it
together."

"Can I do anything to make it up to you?"

"Come to a meeting with me now?"

"Abby, I don't know...I'm not in the mood..."

"Dave...you know you need a meeting right now," she said, and then
felt bad for guilting him more by saying: "Maybe I need one too.
Please?"

He sighed, silently, although she could feel his chest move against
her own. "Okay. Do you know where there's a meeting at two in the
morning?"

"I know where there's a meeting all the time," Abby replied, and then
smiled sheepishly. "I've been a drunk for a while now."

"Uh..." he said then, touching her arm gently to stop her. She glanced
at him with puzzlement, thinking he was going to protest the meeting
once more when he said quietly: "I'm sorry about before...in
there...calling you a drunk. I don't think you're a drunk. I mean...I
didn't mean to throw it in your face. Well - I did, but - "

"Dave," she interrupted, stopping him before he became a complete
stuttering mess. She smiled gently, and relief washed over his
expression. "It's okay. I know who and what I am, don't worry about
it. I wasn't offended. Come on, let's go."

"Lead the way," Dave said, and lead she did. So, in silence, they
walked to a meeting that was being held at a church nearby, and sat
down amongst the other alcoholics and drug addicts. She was worried
that he was being so silent, but didn't want to push him towards
anything, knowing he was in a very fragile state of mind right now and
unsure of what he might do as a consequence. Not to mention she was in
a pretty fragile state too. This was the first meeting she had been to
in a very long time, and she felt the need to share what she had been
going through in losing her sobriety. But couldn't, at least not with
Dave here, and he needed her for support right now, and she wasn't
going to let him down by shattering his confidence in her. He needed
her, needed to believe in her. Great, she thought, somewhat bitterly.
Just what I need, more pressure. She glanced at him from her
peripheral vision, his stare focused on the chair in front of him
rather than the speaker.

Watching him, she contemplated over how much of a wreck he'd been
since last night. At work today, he'd messed up on several occasions,
so much so that Dr. Weaver had reprimanded him. At least the woman had
had the decency to do it in private, although everyone could guess
what had happened when Dave had stormed out of the Lounge, Dr. Weaver
following rather annoyed moments later. That hadn't helped his morale
much, except now instead of moping around he had been angry, snapping
at coworkers and patients. This had garnered him another reprimand,
this time in public - in front of everyone at Admin. Needless to say,
his mood hadn't improved very much after that.

The meeting had been over sooner than she wanted it to be, because she
wished she could keep Dave in a place like this for a little longer.
Gently, she tapped his thigh with her hand, and he glanced at her
before looking around, seemingly surprised that the meeting had ended
and he didn't know about it. They sat there for a minute silently,
before he broke the silence.

"So...what now?" he asked.

"I guess we go home," she stated.

"Okay," he said softly. They walked through the bitter cold back to
the apartment. Halfway there, she took Dave's hand, and she was glad
when he didn't pull away but instead gave her a reassuring squeeze.
Damn, she felt like a hypocrite, offering herself up as a stand-in
sponsor when she, herself, had lost her sobriety just a few weeks ago
by taking that drink with her neighbor Joyce. But, she knew, this
wasn't about her. Right now, this was about Dave, and he was all that
mattered. They stopped outside of his door, as she pulled out a set of
keys she now had. "You don't want to go anywhere? Grab some coffee?
If you really don't want to stay here, we can go back to my place."

"No, I'm okay," he assured her quietly, unwilling or unable to meet
her eyes. "I'm just going to shower or something, and then go to back
to bed, I think."

"Listen, Dave..." she began, but then hesitated. "You don't...have
anything hidden anywhere, do you? Like any alcohol or...medications?"

"No." He finally met her eye. "I swear."

She offered him a small smile, before putting the key in the lock. "I
believe you." She began to move inside, when he touched her arm,
stopping her. She turned back, looking at him quizzically. "What?"

"How do you do it?" he asked.

"Do what?"

"I mean...how do you stay sober? It's not easy, right? I mean..." Dave
shifted from one foot to another. "I have...I have a hard time."
Dave looked her in the eye, and she could immediately tell this wasn't
an easy thing to admit. "Everyday I want a pill...actually, I want a
handful of them. Some days...some days every cell in my body screams
for them and it's all I can do not to take them. But...you're so good
at it. How...how do you do it?"

"You learn, after a while," she stated, her guilt mounting as she lied
to him. "You just can't give up."

"But *how*?"

"You have to look at everything you have in your life that wouldn't be
possible if you were using and realize that it's better to be sober,"
she explained, her mind quickly reciting all the things she knew to be
true...all the things that she had learned from years and years of
meetings...all the things she was no longer living by. "And after a
while...you get used to it, I guess. Don't get me wrong, you can never
forget what you are - *who* you are, because that's the day the
disease will sneak up on you, Dave, trust me on that. You are never
cured, never. And just when you think you don't need a meeting, that's
when you need one the most. But meetings aren't enough, Dave, you have
to get a sponsor and work the steps. And as your life goes on you just
go to meetings and remind yourself why you don't do it anymore...then
when you leave, you feel better."

Hypocrite. Hypocrite. Hypocrite. She kicked herself, mentally.
Hypocrite. * Hypocrite!*

They moved inside of the apartment, Dave saying goodnight as Abby
stayed in the kitchen, wishing that she was at her home where she
*did* have alcohol hidden. God, she needed a drink. She was tired as
hell but knew she wouldn't get back to sleep soon, so she made herself
a glass of water, forcing herself to calm down as she drank it with
unsteady hands. Suddenly, she almost dropped her *own* glass when the
front door to the apartment swung open. She hadn't locked it after
she'd come in, figuring she would do it before she went to bed, and so
she found herself moving towards the block of knives on the kitchen
counter. She considered calling Dave, but what good could he do naked
and wet? But now that she thought about it, if she were going to die
she might as well go out seeing the object of a couple fantasies.

Grabbing the biggest knife, she spun around to see John Carter
standing in the living room, his bag on the floor and his coat draped
over it. He looked at her curiously, eyeing the knife suspiciously as
if she just might use it on him. Quickly, she placed it down,
muttering somewhat of an excuse as she did so. John didn't even seem
to have the energy to reply; in fact, he looked absolutely exhausted,
and almost as if he hadn't shaved or showered in a day or two.

Once her initial shock was over, Abby considered the fact that he'd
come back. About a whole twenty-four hours later. She furrowed her
brow then, wondering if she should take refuge in her room. When John
and Dave began to talk, somehow she knew it wasn't going to be a
fairytale, although she *was* pretty sure the make-up sex would be
good. That is, if there *was* make-up sex. Somehow, she had her
doubts that they would be okay...God knew that Dave that was very far
from okay right now. And while she knew the two loved each other, she
also knew - from experience with Luka - that sometimes love was not
enough.

Abby glanced at John, forcing herself to break away from her thoughts.
He seemed hesitant to do anything. Finally, he went to take a step
forward, paused, pursed his lips, and then just stood there. He seemed
to be waiting for her to say something. She soon did.

"What took you so long?"

--------------------------------

You seem to make the same mistakes all the time

Sometimes it's not so hard to understand why

You say you hate the things that you have done

You have been running with your back to the sun

You want to find a place you don't have to hide

You say you're happy just be alive.........

--------------------------------

Dave used the palm of his hand to wipe away the cool steam that had
gathered on the mirror above the sink, his reflection showing someone
he barely recognized. God, he looked like shit, partially due to his
lack of sleep, work today, and the fact that he was so worried about
John - more specifically, he and John as a couple. What if, during the
course of John's conference, he decided he didn't want to see Dave
ever again? He might not even come home; John was richer than everyone
at the hospital *combined*, he could just replace everything he had
here -including Dave - if he wanted.

Oh, God. Dave couldn't even bear the thought. The next time he saw
John could be days later, at work. Wouldn't even bother to tell him
they were over. Not that Dave didn't think he deserved it, although he
wasn't sure if he could ever handle that. Shit, he still felt like he
needed a good, hard drink, even after that meeting. And maybe
something he could wash down with it. Exactly what, he didn't dare
think.

Pulling on a pair of sweats, he turned away from his reflection,
disgusted that he could resort to this. All because of John Carter.
Was he that needy and desperate and clingy? He must've been.

With a sigh, he pushed open the bathroom door and stepped into the
bedroom, heading straight for bed. He was wishing right now he hadn't
washed the sheets right before John had left; at least he could've had
his scent, if not him.

"Dave...?"

Startling in surprise, he recognized the voice but still turned to see
who it was, just in case he was so lovesick he was hallucinating. No,
definitely not hallucinating, there was John Carter, looking as if he
was just as much of a mess as Dave was. Comforted by that, Dave moved
towards him, blurting out: "You came back."

"I couldn't let it end," John replied softly, approaching Dave as
well. "Not like that."

The younger man stopped suddenly, obviously upset by the choice of
words as his brow furrowed. His most prominent defense mechanism was
anger, and he expressed it vigorously as he asked: "So you decided to
end it differently?"

"Dave, that's not what I meant." John sighed, almost exasperatedly. A
thought suddenly came to him, his ponderings at the airport pervading
his mind. "Why? Is that what you want?"

"What does it matter what I want? It's never mattered before to
anyone!" Dave retorted, angry as he tried to move past John and out of
the room. If he got out, then maybe he'd calm down and avoid this. He
didn't want to break up with John, he didn't want this to be over -
not now, not ever. Not when something good was finally happening.
Shit, he was going to ruin this whole thing...

"God damn it, Dave!" John exclaimed to his previous question, grabbing
the younger man roughly before he could leave, his own momentum
swinging him around to face John. He felt Dave tense under his grasp
and immediately loosened it, saying softly: "You can be so stubborn
sometimes, you know that?"

The younger man raised his lashes in silence, his eyes searching his
lover's as his hands moved to John's chest, feeling his heartbeat
under one of his palms. Quietly, he said: "I missed you last night..."

"I missed you too," John stated, remembering the cold feeling he'd
gotten sleeping in the hotel near Los Angeles Airport last night,
waiting for the earliest flight he could get back to Chicago. In turn
to Dave's touch, John moved his own hands to cup Dave's face, leaning
down to kiss him, and their lips touched gently, sweetly, and somehow
apologetically. They continued this for several moments, their contact
becoming more passionate as they felt their need for each other - and
lack thereof over the past night and day.

John moved his hands down Dave's arms and over those wonderful abs,
before going lower, down his waist and over his hips. Lower still,
they went, until they skimmed ever so lightly over his crotch. Almost
immediately, Dave tensed and pulled away, snapping: "Fucking Christ!
Why can't you just let it go?!"

"No!" John exclaimed, his hurt turning to anger. "Why can't *you* just
let it go?? Why can't you just let it go and talk to me!"

"Because there's nothing to talk about!" Dave yelled, and began to
storm from the room until John grabbed him for the second time that
night, pushing him back. "Don't touch me, John."

"Exactly!" John said, holding his hands out in a pleading gesture.
"Exactly!! I can't touch you, I *can't*. And, God, I could never touch
you, *ever*, and I wouldn't care because I'd respect your decision as
long as you'd respect me enough to tell me why! Can you do that,
Dave?"

"It's not that fucking easy!" Dave reciprocated, beginning to feel
desperate - trapped. It was as if, somehow, he knew John wasn't going
to give up this time, and Dave was scared to consider the
consequences. Or what he might do to deter them.

"Why not?" John asked, feeling desperate himself. Desperate to know,
desperate to get Dave to *see*, to understand where he was coming
from. He took a step forward, but Dave took a step back. "Why not,
Dave? What is *so* terrible that you can't let me touch you? What is
it, Dave??"

"John," he tried, but stopped. The words wouldn't come, and he stood
there, horrified. He felt his breath quicken, along with his pulse.

"I think you want to," John said softly, hoping to God that was at
least true. "I think you want to, Dave."

"I do! I do, but..." God, how did this happen? Why did Dave suddenly
feel so trapped? Quickly, his eyes scanned the room for an escape, the
open door gaping at him. But John was blocking his way, and he didn't
want to hurt him just to get out; he promised himself he would never
hit John again, and he'd be damned before he broke that promise now.
He looked to John again. Maybe if he reasoned with him, or just told
him what he wanted to hear... "John, I swear I do, but..."

"But what?" he asked, when Dave trailed off, moving closer to him as
he did so. The younger man kept stepping back, but John kept moving
towards him, until the back of Dave's knees hit the bed and he was
forced to stand there, trapped. "But what, Dave? What?" He paused,
trying to get Dave to look at him, though his eyes were searching the
room. Gently, he reached out and touched his face, but the other man
flinched. "God, if you do then let me! Let me touch you!"

Vehemently, Dave shook his head. "John...you can't, you - "

"Look," he interjected before Dave could get in another word, as he
reached out and caressed the skin on Dave's arm. He hadn't been
expecting Dave to flinch, but he did, although that did not put off
John. If he couldn't get Dave to understand, then he'd *make* him
understand. "Did that hurt?"

"No, but, John..."

"What about this?" he continued, ignoring Dave's response and moving
his other hand to trail feather-light down his side to rest on his
hip. "That didn't hurt."

"John - "

"This?" His hand now moved to the waistband of Dave's sweats. "What
about - "

"Stop!" Dave choked out, his breathing erratic but silent. He couldn't
hurt John, he couldn't, but, God, if he kept going... "John, please -
"

"No," the other man stated defiantly, visibly startling Dave, who
stumbled back but had no place to go except the bed. He ended up
sitting on it, but next thing he knew, John was straddling him and
pushing him back so that he was lying down. "I'm not going to hurt
you. This'll feel good, I promise..."

Dave flinched at the words. He'd heard them so many times before
they'd lost their meaning. He didn't believe them anymore, or perhaps
he didn't believe *in* them. Because he knew from experience that
promises were always broken, it always hurt in the end. Always...

However, John was willing - or perhaps willed - to prove those very
words to Dave, uncaring if the process would not be pretty, but only
caring about the end result. Dave was going to open up to him if it
was the last thing he did.

Gently, he leaned down and kissed Dave, who did not reciprocate, so he
moved his lips to the younger man's neck. His hands trailed over
Dave's bare chest, one fluttering over his shoulder and to his arm
while the other made a direct path down his hip and to his ass. Dave
was lying tense but was not protesting, and John took it as an
indication to continue. Further, his hand traveled, over the back of
his thigh to raise it slightly, his other hand cupping Dave's face.
The younger man had seduced him in this position once before, and John
had enjoyed it, so he was hoping Dave would too.

Now, his hand moved from Dave's thigh and to his crotch, and while he
was somewhat disheartened that the Junior Resident was not in the
least bit hard, he was not discouraged. He gently applied pressure
there, hoping to receive some sort of response. But the response he
received, however, was not the one he'd been hoping for. Instead of
eliciting a moan or a sigh, or even a counter thrust, a choked sob
reciprocated his touch. Whispering now, so quietly John couldn't
understand the words, though he could gather that they were being
repeated continuously. He listened intently for a moment, until the
syllables registered.

"I'm so sorry..."

He lifted his head, looking at Dave, whose eyes were tightly closed
and jaw quivering. And only then realized the reason he hadn't moved
was not because he wanted John to keep going, but because he wanted
him to stop. It was because he was absolutely terrified, literally
frozen in fear...

"Dave?" he said softly, immediately pulling his hands back. When the
younger man failed to respond his name, John panicked inside. For a
moment, he just remained there, his heart beating so powerfully in his
chest he thought it would explode. He didn't know what to do, but he
knew he had to do something. But Dave wouldn't even open his eyes.
"Dave? Dave, please look at me. Come on, Dave... Dave?" Finally, he
opened his eyes, a tear escaping as he did so, but he did not look at
John. Instead, he was looking at the wall, but somehow...he wasn't.
"Dave, look at me."

He did as he was told, looked right at John, his eyes showing just how
scared he really was, the tears brimming punctuating his fear. God, he
looked so young right then, not like a man at all but like a teenager.
And yet, at the same time, he seemed like an old man, fragile and
ready to break in an instant's notice. But it was as if he were
looking *through* John, and not at him. As if he was...looking at
someone else. Who, John didn't dare to guess. He only knew that he
didn't want to be that person, so he quickly began to explain, his
words tripping over one another.

"Dave, I'm sorry," he stuttered. "I just - I just thought that if I -
if I showed you, you'd...Dave, I'm so sorry, I - " He stopped,
watching the silent tears making their way down the other man's face
and to the bed below them. With gentle fingertips he went to wipe them
away, but Dave recoiled so violently it startled John, and he quickly
pulled away. Shit, what had he been thinking?? Dave would never let
him touch him at *all*, ever again - and with good right. But, right
now, John wasn't too concerned about that. Currently, Dave's silence
was beginning to scare him. "Dave...say something... Please?"

So quietly it was barely heard, Dave said: "Off..."

Quickly, John complied, scrambling off of Dave to stand before him,
and the younger man sat up with wild eyes, looking around the room.
John followed his gaze although he didn't know what Dave was looking
for, and when he looked back to him, he was bringing a shaky hand to
his mouth as if he might be sick. He leaned over the bed quickly, and
at first he was able to control himself but suddenly and violently he
gagged, although he didn't vomit. John reached out a tentative hand,
but Dave immediately pulled away at his touch, so hard he almost fell
off of the edge of the bed. "Dave, I'm sorry, I didn't know - "

"That's right!" he screamed, his voice cracking in a falsetto alto. He
fought back tears successfully, although John knew it would not be
long until he lost whatever composure he had left. "You don't know!
You don't fucking know!! You don't fucking know *anything*! You think
you do, but you don't have any idea. And you can't just fucking - just
- *God*..."

In a burst of speed, Dave ran into the bathroom, stumbling to his
knees before the toilet, and he barely opened the lid before he was
vomiting into it. John approached cautiously, crouching down beside
him but making sure to keep a good foot or two between them. Guiltily,
he watched Dave until he was finished, then waited as he slumped
against the wall, wiping at his mouth with the back of a still-shaking
hand.

"John?" he heard quietly, and turned fast to see Abby standing in the
bedroom, her eyes wide and her brow furrowed in concern. "I heard...I
mean...I heard you guys screaming and then I heard Dave..." She
trailed off, but indicated the young man near the toilet. "I
didn't...I mean...is everything okay?"

"It's fine, Abby," he began, before Dave cut him off sharply, saying
to both of them: "Yeah, fine. Everything's just fucking beautiful. So
just get the fuck out and leave me alone." Suddenly, he began to cry,
pathetic sobs that broke John's heart and caused Abby to become even
more worried. She'd never seen him like this, and didn't know what to
do. And John was just sitting there like a bump on a log. Dave
actually seemed embarrassed that he couldn't control his emotions.
"Please, just go away. John, Abby, please, just..."

"Dave, I can't leave you here like this," John finally said, his voice
quiet to hide his own emotions. "I can't..."

"Why?" he asked, his face still hidden. "You left before, you can do
it again. Or is it because Abby's here now, and you can't let her see
what a cold-hearted bastard you are? Afraid it might ruin your perfect
image?"

"Dave, I'm not a bastard...I love you," he said softly. "I can't leave
because I love you, and this is obviously something you can't get
past, and I want to know why, no matter how bad or terrible it is. I
want to *know* you, Dave, I want to know about the scars, about - "

"You want to know about the scars?!" he yelled, now looking at John
angrily, though the hot tears spilled from his eyes. "You want to
fucking know??!" He indicated his knee, thought his sweats covered it.
"When I was seven years old I fell out of a tree and had to get knee
surgery." He pointed to a scar on his cheek, below his eye. "When I
was ten I got into a fist-fight with some kid and got punched in the
face." He didn't even glance down as he pointed to a long scar on his
side. "When I was thirteen dinner was too cold and I had to get my
spleen removed. Care to make the connection??" He pointed to his back
now. "When I was seventeen my dad - " His voice broke, but he quickly
continued, "My dad found out about Steven. Do you know what leather
feels like *ripping* into your skin?? Do you know what it's like to be
beaten until you pass out? And you'd better hope to God when you wake
up you're alone, because it just gets worse, John. You don't fight
back, you don't scream, and you don't cry. Because, otherwise, it just
gets fucking worse."

"John..." Abby said quietly, almost warning him.

"Dave..." John said, ignoring Abby, but then he didn't know what to
say afterwards as Dave closed his eyes again and leaned his head back
against the wall. Before, John had always managed to hold him to make
him feel better, but Dave wouldn't let him touch him now. And John was
so bad with words; he didn't know how to fix this. The only thing he
could keep doing was apologizing for getting him like this in the
first place. "Dave...I'm sorry."

"You're always so sorry," he said, almost bitterly. John flinched,
watching Dave carefully. "But you don't even fucking think twice to
hurt me again."

"Dave," John whispered, suddenly alarmed. The next thing he said was
the first thing that came to mind. "I'm not your father."

He didn't open his eyes. "You sure act like him sometimes."

"I'm sorry, Dave," he said again, tears coming to his own eyes. God,
he didn't want to be like that man, the man that awoke Dave many a
night screaming in terror, the man that had scarred Dave physically
and mentally, the man that he knew Dave hated the most. So he tried to
justify the horror he'd just inflicted upon him moments earlier, but
somehow he knew the words wouldn't be enough. "I just wanted to show
you I wasn't going to hurt you..."

Dave actually scoffed. "Sure did a good job there."

"I said I was fucking sorry!" John cried, his guilt mounting. Dave
really *wasn't* going to forgive him for this. And he knew it with
deep regret. "God, I'm sorry, Dave! I just want to help you! I just
want to *know* you! I just want you to trust me enough to *let* me
know you! I just..." John trailed off as he saw the pained expression
on Dave's face. Softly, he asked, "Dave, what happened to you? Did
you...did someone hurt you?" Silence. "Dave, I can't help you if I
don't know what's wrong."

"I don't want your help!" Dave yelled. "I don't *need* your help, I
*never* needed your help - ever." Suddenly, Dave sprung to his feet,
storming out of the bathroom and nearly knocking Abby out of his way
to do so.

"Ever?" John asked, his voice thick, as he followed him out. "You
never needed my help? Ever?? What about all those times you woke up
screaming, and I held you? What about then? I helped you then,
Dave...let me help you now."

"I didn't need your help then!" Dave insisted, his breathing heavy. He
was shaking, visibly, in a way John had never seen before. "I didn't
need your help then...I lived by myself before you, I took care of
myself... You didn't even care. You didn't give a single *fuck*."

"John," Abby persisted, though her eyes were focused on Dave. "Let's
stop this."

"No!" Dave yelled, and then pointed to John. "No! You should know how
much of a fake he is, Abby!"

"Dave," Abby said, stepping toward him. "Let's stop this before you
say something that you regret and can't take back."

"Abby, please," John said, his voice edged with annoyance at the fact
that she always seemed to be able to calm him down, and John never
could. "This is between Dave and me, can't you find someplace to go?
Can't you go home?"

"Don't you talk to her like that, you fuck!" Dave growled, his
handsome features contorted with anger. "See, Abby - a fake! You're
such a fake, you know that, John? You're so fucking phony! You don't
care about anyone. And you certainly didn't give a fuck about me until
I started fucking you!"

John couldn't deny that that some of it wasn't true. Hell, Dave hadn't
even been his friend before they'd begun to see each other. And while
he wanted to defend himself, wanted to reassure Dave he had given some
kind of a damn, he couldn't. Because it was true. But he hadn't known
Dave then, hadn't known what a good man Dave was, what a loving,
caring, smart, funny, worthwhile man Dave was.

But all that meant nothing, because Dave was only trying to push him
away. With a heavy heart, John realized that no way seemed to be the
right course of action to get past this. He tried talking with Dave
about it, the other man only changed the subject or blatantly stated
that it wasn't John's business. He tried forcing it out of him, but
then - now - he only seemed to shut him out even more. If nothing was
going to work, then he might as well stop trying - for good.

But there was something inside of him that couldn't, not just yet. In
one, last, desperate attempt, he said: "I want to be able to touch
you. To show *you* just how much I love you...forget everyone else,
Dave..."

God, all Dave wanted to do was get off the subject. He just wanted
everything to be back the way it used to be, before today, before last
night, before he fucked everything up. He wanted to forget this fight,
forget his past, forget everything in this world and just be with
John. Why couldn't it be like that? Why couldn't it ever be the way he
wanted? He only then realized he was crying again, just like the
fucking pussy he was. Quickly, he choked back a sob and snapped, as
harsh as he meant it to be: "Fuck you. You don't love me...*fuck*
you..."

"Dave," Abby said, as a sad sigh. "You don't mean that." She looked at
John. "He doesn't mean that."

But John recoiled at his words anyway, suddenly angry. "Is that the
way you really feel? Are you really that stupid?? What the hell do you
think I've stuck around for, for so long? Yeah, I stuck around dealing
with all your head case problems because I don't love you. You're
right! You are right, Dave, it's because I *don't* love you," he spat
sarcastically. An exasperated sigh escaped his lips. "You don't want
my help, I won't offer it anymore. I'm leaving."

"What?" Dave and Abby asked at the same time.

"Look," John said, his vision suddenly blurred as tears stung at his
eyes. "I love you, Dave, more than I've ever loved anyone my entire
life." He paused, trying to compose himself before he lost it
completely, but he couldn't and began to cry. "You need help, Dave.
Maybe not mine, but someone's... But if you won't let me help you, and
if you won't at least get the help you need, then I'm not going to
watch you destroy yourself. I can't do it..."

"All this?" Dave asked angrily, incredulous. "All this because I won't
let you fuck me??"

John scoffed, clear hurt in his eyes as tears began to spill over.
"This has nothing to do with sex, Dave. This has to do with you not
trusting me. And maybe you have a reason...in fact I know that you do.
But I can't watch this...secret kill you anymore. I can't. I love you
too damn much, and it hurts too damn much."

"So...what?" Dave asked, not looking at John but more towards the wall
next to him. "What does that mean? What does that mean??"

"It means...that I'll always love you, Dave," John continued, "but
love without trust destroys, and I'm not strong enough to stand by and
watch it destroy both of us. Please...don't ever doubt that I love you
and that this is real, but I - I can't do this anymore. Someone hurt
you, Dave, but it wasn't me, and I'm sorry if you can't see that.
I...I'm sorry...I have to - I have to go..."

This wasn't happening, this couldn't be happening. Dave took a step
forward, alarmed as he reached out towards John. "Where are you
going?"

"Back to the conference," he stated. "I need something to show for
myself as Chief Resident. I'll send someone for my stuff."

Dave was crying again, but this time he didn't care. "That's it? This
is it? You're leaving me, you're just walking out, and I'm supposed to
*trust* you??"

"Dave, please..."

"No, you please," Dave spat. "You never loved me, you used me. You're
just like everyone else...I fucking hate you."

John closed his eyes for a moment, before opening them again and
glancing at Abby. "Take care of him, okay?"

She barely nodded as John turned to leave, her teary eyes moving to
Dave, who was standing very still and staring at the floor in front of
him. Abruptly, he looked up at John, and was seemingly surprised to
see that he was no longer in the room. He hesitated once, twice,
before he rushed from the room and into the hallway.

"Wait!" he called, grabbing John's sleeve and stopping him. The older
man turned and looked at him, his eyes showing his willingness to
remain there and give Dave one last chance. And Dave knew he had to
say something, knew that if he didn't, John was going to leave him -
knew he couldn't live with that, couldn't live without him. But,
although his mouth was open, the words were stuck in his throat. It
was as if everything was at the tip of his tongue, and he couldn't get
it out. He almost seemed as if he were about to give up.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Abby watching from the
doorway to his and Dave's bedroom. He glanced at her, meeting her
stare, and shot her a look telling her to get the hell out of here.
Dave was his lover, not hers, and she didn't have the right to be
there. She hadn't gone through hell and high water with him, hadn't
woken up all those nights to hold him, hadn't watched this thing
ripping him apart slowly. She didn't have any right at all. And he was
relieved when she took the hint and went into her room, silently
closing the door behind her.

When he glanced back to Dave, he could see the younger man was still
pursing his lips continuously. "Dave," he started, but it seemed that
the younger man was determined to get this out, because almost
immediately, he interrupted John.

"I...I...I didn't...want to..." He stopped, glancing off, his brow
furrowed. He was still holding on to John's sleeve tightly, as if, if
he let it go, the other man wouldn't be there. But he knew that was
silly, and knew that those few words he'd just said weren't enough to
sate him. He had to tell him everything, wanted to so very badly, but
yet the words were so hard to say, which was why he had never told
anyone the whole story. So hard to admit. "I didn't want to," he
repeated quietly, and then took a few steps back, letting go of John's
sleeve hesitantly as he did so. "I didn't want to...but he said he
loved me...and he said that if I - if I loved him too..." His voice
cracked, as tears sprung to his eyes. "He said if I loved him too,
then I'd...I'd let him...I'd let him do it...so I did..."

"Let who? Steven?" John asked, the only thing he could think of
saying. His instincts all along had been right - Dave *had* had a bad
experience with sex, and John wanted to know just exactly who so he
could hunt them down and kill them. Okay, so maybe not *kill* them,
but at least make his life a living Hell, and John had the money to do
it. Because, lover or not, you never manipulated a person like that.
Never.

Dave shook his head, scoffing as he began to pace the room. "Steven
never hurt me...Steven would never hurt me like that..."

"Then..." John began carefully, watching as his lover sat down on the
couch. He joined him there, but didn't sit too close. "Then who did?
Who hurt you?"

But Dave didn't appear to have heard his question as he went on. "He
didn't even fucking care that it hurt...he promised that it would feel
good, but he lied, he lied. He just told me that he loved me, and he
said he wouldn't love me anymore if I didn't..." His eyes were closed
again, but tears managed to slip down his cheeks, falling onto his
chest. "I didn't want him to hate me," he whispered quietly. "I didn't
want him to hate me...he was always so mad at me except when I let
him...so I let him...God, I let him..."

"Who?" John asked again, almost desperately. Dave was shaking again,
his whole body wracking with what John knew weren't sobs, though he
couldn't identify the cause. His breathing was heavy, erratic... "Who,
Dave?" he persisted.

He almost thought the younger man wasn't going to answer. Then,
finally: "Dad."

--------------------------------

I just want be where the sun shines down...

...On a beautiful life

--------------------------------

Just like that. Without pause or hesitation. Loud and clear. But John
still found himself asking, "What??"

Dave eyes snapped open, and he gasped audibly as he looked at John, as
if realizing just what he'd said. "Oh, my God," he breathed, his
horror reflected in his eyes. "Oh, my God."

Suddenly, Dave stood and burst towards the door, startling John
effectively. The older man sat there for a moment, stunned, before he
sprang into motion, not knowing what Dave was going to do in the state
he was in. For God's sake, he'd just admitted that his own father had
sexually abused him when he was younger. Lord knew what he was
*capable* of doing at a time like this. Quickly, John stood as well,
looking up to see Dave picking up his jacket from the hook near the
door.

"Dave, stop," John said, his expression showing his apprehension as
Dave put his coat on. "Where are you going?"

"I don't know," Dave immediately reported, his voice shaking as his
eyes scanned the living room floor for his shoes. He felt dizzy
suddenly, his chest tightening as his breathing became labored. "I
just...I have to go, I have to leave. I can't be here...I can't
breathe. I need - I need to leave. Where are my shoes?"

"Dave, you can't go anywhere," John stated, watching him helplessly.
"You don't even have a shirt on! Just stop for a second!"

"I can't, I have to go," he stuttered, and the older man knew whatever
composure Dave had left was soon going to be lost. "Where the fuck are
my shoes?"

"Dave," John said desperately, trying to get the other man to look at
him. He approached him, although Dave only stepped back, nearly
tripping and falling down. "Dave, *stop*. You can't go anywhere."

"I need to," he said, his voice thick with emotion. "I need to
just...to go, I need to leave, please, John, let me leave."

"I can't do that," he stated, trying to get close enough to Dave to
touch him, but the younger man kept moving away from him. Finally, a
quick, fluid step and he was in front of Dave, taking his face in his
hands and holding him still. "Dave, look at me. Look at me..."

When he did finally look up, the raw emotion he saw there broke John's
heart. Dave was terrified and ashamed and felt so damn guilty. Guilty!
For what his own father had made him do! And, tonight, John had made
him feel this way. God, how could he have been so selfish?? All this
time he'd been pressuring Dave to let him touch him, and all this time
he'd Dave wouldn't let him because of his ego or because he was
stubborn. And all this time, it had been because he *couldn't* allow
the other man to invade him like that, not after what his own father
had done to him.

"Please...I have to go," Dave said quietly, desperately, and in an
instant he was out of John's grasp and grabbing his apartment keys off
of the end table.

"Abby!" John suddenly called, hoping that she could at least get Dave
to listen to reason. "Abby, I need you!''

Almost immediately, Abby emerged from her room, having slipped away
after John had given her that withering look, silently telling her to
take a hike. In her heart, she knew that she shouldn't be intruding on
their argument - after all, she didn't even really live here, she was
just a third wheel who needed refuge for a while. But she'd still been
annoyed, as if John thought Dave belonged to him. Sure, they were
lovers, and he was intimate with Dave in a way that she never would
be, not to mention that John probably knew him better than she,
herself, did. But that didn't mean he had to be so...possessive.
Whatever the case may have been, she joined them in the living room,
knowing how irrational the two men could get in the heat of things and
figuring it wasn't such a bad idea to be present. But when she saw the
scene unfolding before her, her eyes widened in pure concern. John
seemed so lost and desperate, and Dave was searching the room like a
madman for something. "What's going on??"

"Dave wants to leave," John explained. "And I don't think it's a good
idea."

"I..." she stammered, but had no idea what to say afterwards. She
didn't know what was going on, didn't know what to do or say. But with
the way John was looking at her, she knew she had to do *something*.
So she indicated the couch, moving towards it. "Dave, why don't you
sit down with me?"

"No," he said, shaking his head vehemently. "I can't, I have
to...just...go. I need some air, I..."

"Well...we'll open a window," Abby offered.

"No...I need to leave," Dave said frantically. "I need to think by
myself...alone...I just need air..."

"Dave, sit down," John stated, taking Abby's lead. He approached the
younger man, who was standing with his back to the windows. He was
shaking visibly, his whole body trembling while his eyes were wild and
unfocused. His hands were balled into fists, until they tremblingly
uncoiled and grabbed at his hair in frustration. His breathing was
becoming heavier now, each breath louder and deeper than the last,
until he was gasping, until, finally, he broke.

The guttural scream that escaped his throat startled both John and
Abby, and probably woke up half of the neighbors. And Dave continued
to wretchedly scream until his voice cracked and he could no longer,
because the sobs were heaving at his chest and he couldn't catch his
breath through them. Suddenly, he punched the wall, leaving a dent in
his wake. Another punch, another dent. And another, this one leaving a
gaping hole in the wall.

"Stop it!" Abby screamed. "Dave, you're going to hurt yourself! Stop
it!"

The phone began to ring, but stood ignored by Abby, who was trying to
approach Dave but was very afraid to, and by John as well, who was
standing there in shocked horror as his lover imploded. John glanced
at the phone as the machine picked up, hearing the landlord's anxious
voice coming from the plastic box, but then turned quickly back as he
heard glass shattering. Dear God, Dave was punching the windows out.

"Dave!" Abby yelled again, taking her chances and grabbing his arm to
try to stop him from doing further damage to the apartment and his
bloodied hand. But the young man's forward momentum and pure rage sent
Abby reeling back to the floor, a short scream escaping her throat as
her shoulder made solid contact with the end table nearby. She sat
there, stunned, watching as Dave made another hole in the wall, before
she, herself, began to cry.

Suddenly, Dave stopped, his back facing his lover and his friend, and
he was still for a moment before he began to whimper. He turned,
slumping against the wall and sliding down to the floor, sobbing
uncontrollably and burying his face in his arms. The pathetic cries
were the only things heard throughout the silent apartment for a few
moments, before the phone came to life, ringing again. John, still
fazed, moved to it and picked it up, listening for a moment but
keeping his eyes on his lover. "No..." he said numbly. "You don't have
to call the police...we're fine...I'm sorry for the noise...I'll pay
for the damage...yes...thank you..."

He lowered the phone from his ear, dropping it back onto the receiver,
and then crossed the room to his lover, sitting down on the floor next
to him. Tentatively, he touched Dave's shoulder, who immediately
responded and moved into John's arms, holding on to him tightly. John
wrapped his arms around the shaking man and rubbed his back gently,
almost as if he were comforting a small child - which, in a way, he
was: He was comforting the small child inside of Dave, who was still
so afraid. It was the least he could do, to hold him like this, though
he was sure it would barely suppress what he must be feeling. What had
he felt when it had happened? From the way Dave had said it, it had
been more than once. But, God, how many times had there been? John
couldn't even begin to imagine the terror and pure hurt that must've
arced through him.

Quietly, Abby indicated her bedroom and said: "I should..."

"No..." John said, shaking his head. "Stay."

"You don't need me here."

"Dave needs you here..."

She seemed satisfied with that answer, though she hesitantly sat down
on the couch, her brow furrowed in concern and deep thought. John
continued to hold Dave, until he heard the younger man began to speak.
"Do..." he heard Dave begin, but trail off. He waited, patiently,
until, quietly: "Do you think I'm disgusting?"

John had been expecting anything but that, and his eyes widened in
surprise. He placed his hands on Dave's shoulders and held him at
arms-length, asking with a start: "Why would I think you're
disgusting?"

"Because of what I let him do to me," he replied quietly, chillingly
calm. "Because...because of what I did to him..."

"Dave, you didn't *let* him do anything to you," he said firmly. "He
*made* you do those things. And I would *never* think you're
disgusting."

Dave didn't even seem to be listening to him. "I didn't stop him. I
mean...I tried sometimes, but...it only made it worse..."

"You were a *child*, Dave," John said, trying to look Dave in the eyes
but his were cast down to his hands. Glancing down, John saw, more
specifically, they were gazing at his wrists...at his scars. A finger
brushed over them, absently, and John gently nudged Dave to draw his
attention away from them. "He was your father...he shouldn't have done
that, he shouldn't have even *thought* that. It was his job to
*protect* you, not *hurt* you. It is not your fault what he did to you
or what he made you do to him. Do you understand me, Dave? It is *not*
your fault."

There was a quiet gasp from the couch, where Abby had a hand to her
mouth, tears brimming at her eyes as the reality of what happened to
Dave hit her. She felt so selfish for sitting there, wanting a drink
as this argument had been going on. Dave needed her after this
horrible, *horrible* thing had happened to him, and there she was
thinking about herself. What kind of a person was she? What kind of a
*friend* was she??

"Dave?" she asked, but when he didn't look at her she got off of the
sofa and knelt in front of him. "Nothing your father did was your
fault; he was your father, and it was his job to protect you, love
you, take care of you. Dave, John's is right, and I think you know
that. You'd never hurt a child like that, would you? It would be
wrong, and you know that. You are *not* disgusting. You are beautiful,
and smart, and funny, and wonderful, and I am so sorry that he did
that to you. But nothing is your fault. I love you, and John loves
you, and we'll help you get through this. I promise that we'll help
you through this." She paused for a moment, to regain her composure
before she burst into tears. "I'm going leave you with John now so you
two can talk. You two need to talk. But I'll be in the guest room if
you need me, okay?"

Dave just nodded, and while she was relieved he responded, she wanted
him to believe her. And while she knew it might be too soon yet, she
at least wanted to give him some sort of hope. "Will you look at me?"
she asked. Slowly, he did, but not in the eye, and she took her chin
in his hands and positioned it so that he was now looking in her eyes.
Softly, she said, "I love you."

"I love you too, Abby," he replied, his eyes glistening.

She leaned forward and gently kissed him on the lips, hugging him
momentarily. She could feel him trembling. "I love you, Dave..."

She stood and silently left the room, moving into her bedroom and
closing the door behind her. Dave watched her leave, feeling guilty
for dragging her into his fucked up problems. His fingers were
brushing over his scars before he even realized it, and his vision
blurred and his eyes stung as he remembered the night he'd inflicted
the near-fatal wounds upon himself. Long ago, he hadn't believed that.
Long ago, he'd convinced himself that this had somehow been his fault.
And, long ago, in a desperate attempt to be free, he'd tried to kill
himself, had sat down on the floor of his bedroom and grabbed the desk
scissors, sobbing uncontrollably as he cut into his own skin. Had it
all been a misconception? Was there really nothing he could've done to
prevent it from happening?

He was almost sure there had to have been something he could've done,
and he looked up into John's eyes to see exactly what he thought when
he saw the several emotions there - pain. Guilt. Love. Compassion.
Compassion was there, compassion because he knew the truth and didn't
hate him for it. He didn't blame him, and Dave was at least relieved
for that.

"I love you," he blurted out then, tears making silent trails down his
face. "You know that, don't you? I know I've never said it, and I know
that I should, and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, John. And I'm sorry I
can't - I can't let you - I'm sorry, John. I'm so sorry..."

"It's okay," John stated reassuringly, bringing Dave into his embrace
once more before he lost his composure completely. "It's okay, Dave,
it's okay..."

"I love you, John," he repeated. "I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you..."

He kept saying it, over and over again, as if, if he stopped, so would
the fact that he loved John. Dave had loved his father too, loved his
father like any son loved his own. He'd always tried in vain to please
his father, but it had never been enough. Nothing was ever done right,
something was always wrong. Physical abuse occurred regularly during
the day, sometimes just a backhand to the jaw and sometimes escalating
to a beating. On some days, Dave was even untouched by his father; his
father wouldn't even talk to him unless to call him down for dinner or
something mundane such as that.

But then the night would come.

God, how easily he could remember how much he dreaded the night,
dreaded the moments when he heard the door to his bedroom open,
dreaded pretending to sleep so maybe his father would leave him alone,
dreaded feeling the bed dip as his father joined him, dreaded the
feeling of his father's hands on his skin...dreaded living, how much
he'd dreaded living. He instinctively glanced down at the scars on his
wrists once more, remembering.

Suddenly: "Do you want to hear what happened?"

John paused, carefully thinking about what to say before he said it.
He'd learned his lesson all right. "Not if you don't want to tell me."

"Don't you want to know?"

"...Yes..."

That was all Dave needed to hear. Yes, his lover wanted to know about
his experiences. Yes, he wanted to listen. And Dave had wanted to tell
him for so long, had known John had wanted to listen for so long. But,
before this night, he'd never been sure what his reaction would be.
Now, he knew he wouldn't be faced with ridicule or blame. Now, he knew
John wouldn't think less of him. Wouldn't think he were disgusting.
Now, he knew that. And that was all he needed to hear. So he took a
deep breath.

And he started talking.

--------------------------------

I don't care where we go

I don't care what we do

As long as I can be with you...

I just want to be with you

--------------------------------
Chapter Eighteen B - Innocence by The She Devil
-------------------------------------
Chapter Eighteen, Part Two: Innocence
-------------------------------------

Satan...you know where I lie

Gently, I go into that goodnight

-------------------------------

The day Dave had tried to kill himself was the day he'd lost his
faith. He'd forgotten that *that* was the exact day it happened after
all of these years, only remembering after recalling the day in
detail. The process of losing faith had been gradual, starting a few
days earlier, after Dave had needed God but had received not even a
single trace of comfort. So, at first, he'd hated God, really hated
him with every fiber of his being. He'd cursed at Him, called Him a
good-for-nothing bastard, not caring if it would come back to haunt
him in the end because what did it matter if he was going to Hell
anyway? After all, he couldn't have imagined a Hell worse than the one
he was already living in.

It was when he'd sat down on the floor in his bedroom, sobbing
uncontrollably, and tried to kill himself that he'd realized God did
not exist. If he did, how could he possibly have let this happen? What
was the point of being God if you couldn't help people? Wasn't that
what He was good for? Salvation, salvation. Where was his salvation
now?? Where had been his salvation all of these years? Or was he so
bad, was he *that* *horrible*, that he didn't deserve it?

Suddenly, Dave remembered all those stories he'd read in books and
heard in stories about atheist men who turned to God in a moment of
desperation, just to receive some sort of comfort that someone was
listening. But he wasn't going to give in, not this time. God wasn't
real, there was nothing after you died, nothing. If there was nothing
offered here, then there was certainly nothing offered afterwards.

His friends, his mother...what would this do to them? He'd thought
about that as he'd done it, but time healed and people eventually
forgot you. Your features faded in their mind, until even a picture
couldn't get you to remember their smile. And then the pain subsided.
At least that's what he hoped as he bled to nonexistence on the floor.
Nonexistence, because death wasn't real. You didn't die, you
just...stopped. And that was better than living through this Hell of a
life one day longer...

---

"But what got you to that point, Dave?" John asked softly,
interrupting his story. His brow was furrowed in deep concentration,
but also in pure concern. "What could have been so terrible that you
would hurt yourself like that?"

"God, John, it was...it all just changed so fast, I mean...I was so
happy...mostly happy anyway. I mean, yeah, my father was a prick,
but...I was in love for the first time in my life. It was so...great.
Steven was so great." Dave scrubbed his face with his hands, and John
could see he was clearly tearing himself up over the loss of a
boyfriend and good friend. "We had the greatest times together. I
loved being with him. I had a great friend in Miranda. We had so much
fun together. Everything was...great...everything except my father,
but...he almost didn't matter, John. All that mattered was Miranda
and...and Steven..." He sighed, leaning his head back against the wall
behind them. "I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess I should
start at the beginning..."

---

Well, not the beginning of his whole life story, but when he first
started to lose his faith. It was funny how, all these years later and
still an atheist, he would define those memories like that. He
supposed he could find the deeper meaning behind it, but never quite
felt like analyzing those years of his life too much.

The "beginning" started when Dave was about seventeen years old, still
a junior in high school. He'd been growing out of clothes left and
right, like most teenage boys do, and he'd been growing *into* the
handsome man that he would eventually become. Taller, with broader
shoulders and more build, even popular girls were starting to notice
him. But they didn't really matter to him, because he was still with
Steven, for almost a year now. He smiled then, lying on his bed in a
pair of sweatpants and a tee shirt, listening to his favorite
Aerosmith CD as he daydreamed about his future, about finally getting
free. Free of his father and his abuse.

One day, he was going to be a doctor. What specific kind, he wasn't
too sure of yet, but he knew he would like to do something fast-paced,
like trauma. Maybe he'd be an orthopedic surgeon. Or perhaps an
emergency room physician. In his contemplation, he was a mix of both,
doing surgery and also attending to people in the emergency room. He
was young, though, since he couldn't picture himself older. He
couldn't picture himself doing any of the mundane aspects of any
doctor's job, either. He never dreamed that doctors spent much of
their time doing paperwork...

---

"That explains a lot," John cracked.

"Doesn't it though," Dave said, smiling slightly, and John was
relieved to see it after tonight.

"How did you think the paperwork got done?" he asked, smiling himself.

"I never really thought about it," he answered, rather honestly. "I
guess I thought you had a nurse assigned to you and she followed you
around and wrote down everything you said." He smiled again, this time
"God was I wrong!"

"Big time," John stated, nodding.

---

He'd been lost in his daydream and the music when his father's voice
had startled him back into reality. "Dave!" he heard reverberate from
downstairs. His head shot up from his pillows quickly, as he glanced
at the clock. It wasn't nearly ten o'clock yet, which was when he had
to go to bed, so he wondered what his father could possibly want.
"Dave!!"

Quickly, he hopped off of his bed at the sound of his name being
called again, trying to avoid any type of confrontation. He didn't
exactly have a burning desire to get pushed around because he didn't
respond to his father's beckoning in time, especially if Dad had had a
bad day at work or something like that. He closed the door behind him,
bounding down the stairs to head towards the kitchen, where he pushed
open the swinging door and saw his father's back turned towards him.

"What is it, Dad?" he asked cautiously, staying towards the door;
hasty exits were key to survival here. However, his father didn't
answer him, but instead kept his back towards him, causing Dave to
gain a puzzled and worried expression. Hesitantly, he said: "Dad? Is
something wrong? Did I do something?"

"You left your books on the table," was the simple reply he received.

"Sorry," Dave immediately apologized, approaching to take them from
the table. If he just took things nice and easy, he wouldn't get
anything more than a berating. But he didn't know why leaving his
schoolbooks on the table was suddenly a problem - he'd been doing it
for years. Then again, any excuse was a good enough one for his dad to
smack him around. "I put them there every day," Dave explained, "so I
remember to take them in the morning, after breakfast. I'm sorry, I
won't leave them there anymore if you don't want me to."

"Well, I don't want them there anymore!" was the harsh reply he
received, and Dave could tell his father was a bit drunk - but, then
again, when wasn't he? "I was going to take them to you," his father
continued on, his back still to Dave, which was beginning to grate on
the young boy's nerves. He hated it when his dad wouldn't look at him,
because he had a harder time gauging reactions that way. So,
cautiously, Dave stood back, not taking the chance to get caught off
guard if he went near his father. And, at least if he was standing at
a safe distance, he was more likely to dodge an unexpected lashing out
until his father calmed down.

"I'll take them right now," Dave said, cursing himself as he heard the
desperation in his voice. He didn't need any trouble right now, or any
other time for that matter. Hastily, he said again: "Sorry."

"I said I was going to take them to you," his dad said, and Dave
steeled himself as best he could, though he felt his heart beating
faster in his chest. Something was very wrong here. "...When *this*
fell out of one of your books," his father finished then, and finally
turned to show Dave a slightly creased sheet of notebook paper with
neat script written all over it. The color immediately drained from
Dave's face as he realized what that was: a note, from Steven. More
specifically, a *love* note. The boy was too shocked to even reply, so
instead, he just stared at the paper in his father's hand. "What are
you? Some kind of fag??"

"No!" Dave quickly replied, snapping out of his reverie to look at his
father with a sort of desperation in his eyes that he was unable to
hide. He turned into a stuttering mess, usually able to think quickly
in situations when he needed to lie, but he was unable to think now,
when it mattered the most. Sometimes, he'd contemplated what his
father might do if he found out his son had a boyfriend. He didn't
know, and that had been the big problem, why he'd never even let
anything slip by accident. He just didn't know.

And now, he was going to find out, the hardest way possible.

"Well??" his father snapped. "What is it??"

"It's, uh..." Jesus Christ. How the hell could he explain something
like that?? "It's just..."

"It's just what, Davey?" he asked, using that nickname that he knew
Dave hated as he took a step closer. Dave immediately took two steps
back, shocked into silence as his father's face twisted into anger,
rage ready to explode upon Dave like a time bomb. And, when Dave
didn't reply soon enough, his father took another step towards him and
grabbed his wrist tightly, painfully, before the boy could get away.
"What the fuck is this, Dave? What is it!!?"

"It's just a joke, Dad!" he cried frantically, trying to pull his arm
out of his father's grip, already feeling the circulation being cut
off from his fingertips. He looked to his father's unimpressed,
merciless eyes. "It is! I swear to you, Dad! It's just a joke!"

"I don't know any boys who joke like that," he spat through clenched
teeth, twisting Dave's arm and causing him to let out a cry of pain.
With disgust, he said: "I always knew that kid was a faggot. And look
what he's done to you."

"I'm not a...faggot," Dave said, swallowing the lump in his throat as
tears sprung to his eyes. "Dad, I'm not..."

"Do you know what happens to fags like you?" he asked harshly, pushing
Dave into the wall so violently the back of his head smacked against
it with a loud thud. A flash of pain shot through him, and in that
same instant his father smacked him hard, harder than he ever
remembered being hit. The smack across the face was followed by a low
blow to the gut, which left Dave breathless. He doubled over in pain,
gasping for air as his father watched his son's tortured attempts to
breathe. When Dave was finally able to, he looked up, thought he knew
what was coming next and that he couldn't do anything to stop it,
because it only made things worse when he tried to defend himself.
He'd only be able to beg for mercy with everything he had, because God
knew it only got worse.

But his father only smiled somewhat satisfactorily, as he slowly
approached Dave, taking his face in one hand and forcing him to look
up, though Dave would not look into his father's eyes. "Do you know
what happens to pretty fags like you??"

Finally, Dave met his father's eyes, his own wide as he realized he
wasn't going to be getting the regular punishment today. No,
today...today his father was going to do the only thing he could do to
really teach him a lesson, to really scar him, to instill in him a
fear that would grip his heart for the rest of his life. Suddenly, he
found himself being pushed forcibly into the wall once more, knocking
him senseless. "I asked you a question. Do you know what happens to
pretty fags like you??"

Dave managed to shake his head. "No..."

"I'll show you, you little fucking faggot."

-------------------------------

All our lives get complicated

Search for pleasures overrated

-------------------------------

*Flash!*

The air had been sucked from his lungs, and he can't breathe. His head
hurts...he knows he was hit but he can't remember how many times. He
can taste blood in his mouth. What's worse is that his face being
forced down into the mattress beneath him, painfully crushing his
bruised skin and bones. It hurts. He screams but the music is blaring,
and he can't even hear himself over the stereo. Oh, God, it hurts.

*Flash!*

A gentle hand touched his face, brushing over his jaw to cup his
cheek, and Steven leaned close, kissing his lips feather-light. He
tasted like chocolate. The older boy took his hand, as they walked
down the sidewalk, their ice cream in their other hands as they
meandered on this hot summer day. Eventually, they made their way to
the park, where they sat down in the field, and Steven wrapped his
arms around him, holding him close. He liked the fact that they didn't
feel the need to fill the silence with meaningless words.

*Flash!*

She held him as he cried, her hands rubbing comforting circles over
his back. He was shaking with sobs, his whole body trembling while he
gripped her tight, afraid to let go. Miranda was the only one who
understood she couldn't say a word to anyone, which is why she was the
only one who knew all his secrets. He could tell that she did, could
see in her eyes that it broke her heart she couldn't tell someone, but
he knew she wouldn't tell. She'd never sell him out like that, she
hadn't yet and she wouldn't ever. She didn't need to, this was enough
to help him get by, her just being there was enough. And he told her
that, told her that every time. But he could clearly see it didn't
ease her guilt one bit.

*Flash!*

"Cut with me."

"And go where?"

"I don't know," Steven said. "Anywhere. We'll take my car. Go out to
lunch. Then maybe go back to my house...no one's home..." He glanced
up at the mischievous twinkle in his boyfriend's eyes, just as he felt
the older boy's fingers brush discreetly across his thigh. "Come on,
Dave..."

"Fags!"

He looked to where he thought the slur had come from, but couldn't
find the culprit in the busy halls. When he glanced back to his
boyfriend, he was almost surprised to see that it didn't faze him.
Another smile, this one somewhat sad, telling him a very different
story. With a flourish, he leaned up and kissed his lover, hard and
passionately - boldly. There wasn't a need to care. Not when they had
each other.

"Come on," he said. "Let's get out of here."

*Flash!*

"Shhhh...I'm doing this because I love you, Davey..." Ragged
whispering into his ear, a large hand covering his mouth to stifle his
cries as a sharp pain rips him in half. "You'd let me if you loved me
too..."

He's crying, whimpering, unable to move against the weight working
against him. He's too young, he's too small, he can't...he can't get
away, he can't get out. He knows if he tries it'll only get worse. And
then he'll hate him, really hate him. Maybe if he just closes his
eyes...

*Flash!*

"Shhhh..." Something's wrong. Oh, God. This has happened before, this
has happened before. And it's happening again. He closes his eyes to
try to block out the feelings, the music already blocking out the
sounds. He swears this song will be stuck in his head forever. Images
flash across his mind's eye, disjointed nightmares and missing
memories coming together, meshing and smoothing themselves out, like a
perverse jigsaw puzzle completing itself. But he doesn't want to know
what the picture will be once it's finished.

He opens his eyes again, unable to take the visions coming to him, but
he can't block them out because it's happening right now. His eyes
fixate themselves on a cross hanging from the wall above his dresser,
a distressed Jesus hanging gracelessly from the wood. He finds himself
praying to God, wondering if this is what His Son had felt like in His
moments of death. Did Jesus weep then? Did Jesus weep now, for him?

God, help him. Please, help him. He couldn't take it anymore, he was
sure he was going to be broken into pieces, just like that fucking
jigsaw puzzle. But could he be put back together again? He was
convinced he wouldn't be able to get up this time, not now, not after
this. Somewhere else, just picture yourself somewhere else.

Steven. Steven, and ice cream. Buying it for him at the stand down the
street, near the park. They sit down, and the older boy wraps his arms
around him. He leans close, gently, and kisses him. He tastes like
chocolate. No...it's not chocolate. It's revolting, it's disgusting.
It's vomit.

He's vomiting, his whole body shaking violently as he does so.
Laughter, laughter filling the air, and he's humiliated. He's covered
in blood and tears and vomit and semen, and he's humiliated. He's
humiliated, and he hurts, he hurts all over. His head hurts, his body
hurts...his heart hurts. Please, save him, God. Please...please, save
him.

There is no reply as the song continues to echo throughout his head.
But he knew there wouldn't be. There never had been, why would there
be one now? He hates Him. He hates God, for doing that to Jesus, and
for doing this to him. He hates God for taking his pride and taking
his blood and taking his life. He hates Him. He hates Him...

He closes his eyes again, the blackness so warm and inviting. He's
scared to give in, knowing from experience that when he wakes it could
be much worse. At least if he's conscious he is aware of what's going
on. But what's the point if you can't stop it? What's the point if
you're broken beyond repair? What's the point if you can't do anything
and no one will help you? No one cares? God doesn't care, why should
he?

And so he gives in, allowing the comforting darkness to envelope his
mind, dragging him down into the nothingness he'd become. Because even
Jesus had given up and died on that mother fucker of a cross.

--------------------------------

"Hey," John said softly, reaching out and gently touching Dave's knee.
After telling John his father had found a love note from Steven, he'd
suddenly stopped talking and began staring off into space, his eyes
fixed on the floor but John knew it wasn't what he was seeing. "Where
did you go just then?"

"I..." Dave said, looking up at John for a moment before quickly
turning away. He seemed almost frustrated. "Shit..."

"What?" John persisted.

"I was just...thinking about..." His voice caught in his throat, and
although Dave wasn't looking at him, John could instantly tell he was
crying. Frantically, the younger man wiped away tears. "Forget it,
it's not..."

"I don't want to forget it."

"No, no, that's...that's not what I meant," he quickly explained. "I
meant...I don't know what I meant...my thoughts get sort of mixed up
sometimes...I..."

"You can keep going, Dave," John stated, wondering if perhaps Dave was
embarrassed or ashamed. "You can tell me anything, I won't think any
less of you. I love you, Dave, I could never think any less of you."

Dave nodded, but he wouldn't look at John. Instead, he pulled at the
strings of his sweatpants, untying the knot and tying it again, and
then repeating the process several times. Eventually, he stopped, just
fiddling with the untied strings now, wrapping it around his finger
and unwrapping it, again and again. He must've realized what he was
doing because he stopped, leaning his head back against the wall and
sighing deeply.

"I passed out," he simply said, as if that was all there was to it,
but he soon went on. "He started hitting me...a lot. And...when I
realized that he wasn't - that he wasn't just going to, you
know...beat me...I started...I start fighting him. I'd never done that
before, and he just *let go*...he just kept hitting me and kicking me,
over and over and over, and..." He paused, flinching, and half of John
was wondering what he was seeing, while the other half didn't want to
know. "I just passed out after a while, and all these weird things
were going through my head...Miranda...Steven...

"When I woke up, he was..." Suddenly, he gasped, and soon he lost his
composure once more, wiping away tears that were only replaced by
fresh ones. "I...I started remembering...I started remembering all
those times, when I was a kid...I must've blocked them out, but I
remember it now...and I remembered it then for the first time...he
said he loved me, and that...if I loved him too, I'd... I didn't know
any better, I swear I didn't...I was just a kid...I was just a fucking
kid..."

"What...what do you mean?" John asked, although he knew full well what
Dave meant. But there was still that part of him that thought - that
hoped - he was wrong, that maybe...

"He used to come home from the bar all the cops would hang out at
after their shifts," Dave stated then, his eyes wandering the room
although John knew he must've been seeing the past and not the
present. "He'd talk to my babysitter...he was always so sweet to her,
and she just swallowed that act whole. After she left...I'd hear him
downstairs...I thought that maybe if...maybe if I pretended to be
asleep, he'd leave me alone, but he...he didn't care...he'd come in,
and...he would do all kinds of things...anything he wanted...over and
over. God...I had to...I had to or he'd make me, and that was...that
was always worse, I didn't...God, I was so fucked up, I thought if I
let him, if I...I thought that'd he'd love me, I wanted him to love
me..." He burst into tears, burying his face in one hand, the other a
balled fist at his side. "I just wanted him to be nice to me, John...I
was just a little kid, and I just wanted him to be nice to me...I
mean...he was my dad, and...I wanted him to love me...I just wanted
him love me... Was that wrong, John? Was that wrong for me to want him
to love me? Was I...bad?"

"Hey..." John said softly, his voice thick as he pulled Dave close to
him. He'd never wanted to use his money and influence for anything
even remotely horrible, but, right now, he swore to God if Dave's
father was still alive his life would be a living Hell, as much as the
Hell he'd put Dave through. "Dave...you did nothing wrong. Nothing
wrong as a child, nothing wrong as a teenager...your father was the
one who did wrong, not you. God, Dave, I wish you could believe that.
I wish I could make you believe that..." he whispered into his ear,
smoothing his hair back as he continued to hold his lover
comfortingly. "I swear, Dave, you did nothing wrong..."

"I...I passed out again..." he stated, after a short pause. "It hurt
too much, I couldn't..." He paused, letting out a deep breath. "When I
woke up again, it was late, and he was gone...I was alone,
but...God..."

--------------------------------

Never armed our souls

For what the future would hold

--------------------------------

*Wake up!*

His eyes snapped open, and he was immediately aware of a headache all
over his whole body. It frightened him, because at the same time he
was somewhat numb with the pain, letting him know that it was very,
very bad. But he knew if he moved, the pain would only worsen...and he
wasn't ready for that just yet. So he laid there, his face buried in
the mattress, one arm trapped beneath him and the other awkwardly
splayed across his back.

Start small, he thought, and then took a few slow breaths before
moving the arm that had been twisted behind his back earlier to keep
him immobile. Almost immediately, his shoulder protested with pangs of
jarring pain that sent white flashes through his brain. Upon further
inspection, he saw that his wrist and hand was swollen and an ugly
purple color. It was definitely broken, though he only vaguely
remembered how it had happened: running up the stairs, tripping as his
father grabbed his ankle, his wrist breaking his fall and also
breaking in two.

He took in a shuddering breath, his chest hurting - more specifically,
his ribs. He knew a few were bruised and cracked, if not broken. He'd
taken a hit or two down there, too. Knocked the wind right out of him
and made him sick to his stomach. He remembered throwing up, and was
suddenly aware of the fact that he was lying in his own vomit. It
nearly made him throw up again, but he twisted his head so it faced
the other way. He didn't want to think about what other fluids he was
lying in. Not just yet.

The next task was going to hurt like hell, and he was loath to tackle
that feat. But he couldn't just keep lying there on the bed like this,
he had to get cleaned up. However, thus far he'd been pretending he
didn't exist from the waist down, and if he moved he'd feel every
bruise and ache, including those below his hips. And he didn't want to
think about that either just yet.

Maybe he didn't have to get up, he suddenly thought. Maybe if he just
laid here a while, things would be okay. He wasn't that badly hurt. He
was just beat up, just like all the other times, that was all. He
could lay here and sleep it off. He'd done it before. It wasn't that
bad, it wasn't bad at all.

Just to prove it to himself, he reached down between his bare legs,
closing his eyes tightly as he felt sticky liquid there. There was
more than just blood, and as he trailed his hand up his abdomen to his
chest, he felt it there too. In an instant, he knew he'd come some
time during the course of the night, and that alone was enough to make
him retch. How could he? How could he find pleasure in that? He'd
considered his father a pervert for doing this to him, a dirty,
disgusting pervert, but who was really the pervert here? He hadn't
wanted to, had fought so hard to get away, and yet he still came...

---

"I fought so hard just to...just to get away from him," Dave was
saying. "I didn't want to...I swear I hadn't wanted to. I was so
scared once I realized what he was going to do to me. And I...I tried
to get away, I swear I did." He paused for a moment, his jaw clenching
and his eyes hardening. He seemed angry, but the tears still managed
to escape his eyes. "But once he finished it wasn't enough for
him...he wanted to make sure that...that he destroyed me
completely..."

"Dave...wait..." John said, puzzled. "What...?"

"I can't..."

"You can tell me anything, Dave," he said softly. "I promise you.
Anything..."

"He...he started touching me...I screamed and I begged, but he..." He
suddenly broke off into a sob, gripping John's shirt tightly. "I was
so scared...he was hurting me, but then...he kept talking and
touching, and - and I...I came, John, I came... He touched me like
that...my own father touched me like that, and I came. I felt
disgusting. I feel like a...like a disgusting piece of trash. I'm so
disgusting..."

"Dave," John said, reaching out to touch him gently, but the younger
man flinched visibly and pulled away. It was apparent that he still
felt that way, that after all these years he still felt disgusting,
still felt like a piece of trash. Suddenly, Dave looked up at him,
and, God, he seemed so insecure and vulnerable. And John could see he
was waiting for him to say something, to agree with him, to tell him,
yes, he was disgusting, and John couldn't stand to be with him any
longer. And it broke John's heart. "Dave, you're not disgusting. Your
body had a natural response to what your father was doing, not to
mention the stress of the situation. It wasn't your fault. You didn't
have control over anything that was going on. I swear to you, it
wasn't your fault."

When Dave didn't respond to anything he said, he tried a different
approach. "Dave, you've treated rape and molestation victims before,
right?"

"Yeah..." was the hesitant reply.

"Have you ever blamed them?"

And, just as hesitant: "No..."

"Have any of them ever had this issue?"

"Yes..."

"Did you think they were disgusting?"

"That's different."

"Why?" John asked. "Because it isn't you? What makes you so different
from them?" Silence. John placed his hands on Dave's shoulders,
holding him back so he could look into his eyes. "A patient comes in
after being sexually assaulted. They're feeling extremely remorseful
because they had a sexual response. What would you say to them, Dr.
Dave, if they told you it was their fault? Would you say they're
disgusting?"

"I'd say their body reacted to the moment," he said quietly, his eyes
darting away from John's. "Their bodies betrayed them and it
wasn't...their fault. Stress, stimulus...a number of things come into
play..."

"And do you believe that?" he asked. "Or do you really think they're
disgusting, and you just lied to make them feel better?"

"No," he said, so quietly John could only understand the word by the
shake of his head. Slowly, his lashes rose to look John in the eyes,
and then uncertainty he saw in them broke his heart. "I believe
that...do you?"

John nodded silently. "The same thing goes for you, Dave. Your body
betrayed you too, by reacting to a stimulus...a natural stimulus...and
it's okay. Stress...fear...all of it betrayed you, and your body had a
reaction. You couldn't control that. Someone hits you, and it hurts.
You work out too much, your muscle cramps. You can't control those
things either. My point is, is that you are not sick, and you are not
a pervert. My point is, is that you didn't like what your father did,
and you didn't ask for it, or for anything that happened, that night
or any other night. My point is, is that you did absolutely nothing
wrong."

Dave's eyes were full with tears. "You really believe that?"

"Of course I do," he said. "Because it's true."

Silently, Dave leaned forward, burying his face in John's shoulder as
he gripped him tight. "Thank you," he whispered softly into his
lover's ear, and John could hear the pure sincerity in the words, and
also the utter relief of waiting over ten years to hear someone tell
him none of this had been his fault. Someone besides his mother or a
doctor, or anyone who felt obligated to do so. But John wasn't
obligated to do anything, which Dave knew. He could just as well call
him repulsive and walk out on him, rather than stay here with him and
hang on to his every word. However, John could still hear the doubt in
his voice as he quietly asked: "Is there...any part of you that thinks
it's disgusting?"

"Yes. All of it," he replied, and his lover glanced up in surprise,
his eyes showing his pure, childlike fear. "I think it's disgusting
what your father did to you, and what he made you do. It's absolutely
disgusting that he could do something - that *anyone* could do
something like that to their own child. It's disgusting. But *you* are
*not*, Dave, you are *not* disgusting. Do you hear me?"

Silently, Dave nodded, before letting out a shaky breath and running
his fingers through his hair. "After that," he said, and John
considered he was just getting of the topic but didn't stop him. "I
couldn't stand to be in that room anymore. I felt like I was going to
suffocate if I didn't get out of there..."

---

He couldn't remember how long he'd been lying there before the bitter
scent of the room had pervaded all of his other senses without
warning. He couldn't even breathe through his mouth without smelling
it. It was disgusting, lying here like this. Absolutely disgusting.
*He* was disgusting, lying here in blood and semen and vomit, like
some piece of trash discarded once he was finished being played with.
And he *felt* like a piece of trash. He couldn't stand it, and he had
to get out of this room. He had to get out.

He took a deep breath, then another, ignoring his aching chest as he
tried to muster enough strength to get up. With a stifled groan, he
swung his legs over the side of the bed, pain shooting through him as
he did so. His nonexistent waist was now making itself known, and his
heart raced as he wondered what the fuck he was going to do. But he
couldn't worry about that at this exact moment - first, he had to get
out of here.

Sitting up proved to be more difficult - and much more painful - than
he thought it would be, and standing was an accomplishment he barely
managed without collapsing. But he was determined to get out of his
room. Where he was going he had no idea, but he couldn't stay here. He
started towards the door, each step punctuated with pain, but he
ignored it. He was good at that, it was a practiced skill he'd
mastered since as long as he could remember. Ignore the pain, pretend
you're somewhere or someone else, and you'll make it.

He did make it, to the bathroom across the hall at least. He closed
the door and locked it firmly, before turning on the light and
standing before the sink. Firmly, he held on to it for balance,
knowing he'd never be able to remain standing otherwise, and he kept
his eyes focused on the faucet, which dripped every so often. He
turned it on, washing his hands, procrastinating, before, with bated
breath, he glanced up into the mirror.

Oh, God...

He turned away, disgusted, and almost burst into tears. Almost, until
he leaned forward into the sink, splashing cool water on his bruised
and bloodied face. His father had never really hit him anywhere so
obvious, knowing the possible repercussions if someone got suspicious.
After all, his he was a mandatory reporter; he knew the obligations of
the teachers and counselors at school. All that it would take was one
of them - just one of them - to get suspicious and call in social
services, and he would be screwed. He'd get in trouble at work, and
most likely lost his kid. Not that he really cared about Dave, but it
would screw up his reputation at work, and any chance of making
Sergeant.

Now, as Dave stood before the mirror, he hadn't realized how much
comfort he'd taken in the fact that clothes had always concealed his
bruises. If he couldn't see them, he could pretend they weren't there.
But there they were, every time he looked in the mirror, every time
he'd feel the curious eyes on him, wondering what happened to the poor
kid with the black eye and the bruised jaw and the swollen nose. And
Dave would remember it, remember it with a sort of animosity and
disgust he'd never felt before - and not only at his father, but also
at himself.

He leaned forward again. The water washed away his tears.

A creak on the floor outside. He snapped off the faucet and stiffened,
the hair on the back of his neck rising as he listened, holding his
breath. There it was again! Shit. *Shit!* His father was awake, and
walking down the hall. He had to pass Dave's room to get downstairs,
and while he'd closed the door behind him, what if his dad decided to
open it and check what he was doing? He wouldn't be in there. Would he
get in trouble? Would his father get angry? Angry enough to...?

God. Oh, God. He couldn't go through it again, not again. God, not
again. He glanced around, his breathing ragged as he searched for a
way out. The window above the toilet was small, but he knew he could
fit through it if he wanted to. However, directly below the window was
nothing but open air separating him from the ground, and while he was
desperate he wasn't stupid. But, then again, death would be better
than to go through what he had just gone through all over again. Maybe
he could just wait in here until his father went back to bed, and then
-

The knock on the bathroom door startled him so fiercely he stumbled
back, tripping and falling solidly into a sitting position on the
closed toilet lid. He nearly cried out in pain but just bit his lip,
hot tears escaping his tightly closed eyes as he tasted blood in his
mouth. God, he couldn't do it again. Not again... His chest tightened
as he considered getting dragged back into that room. He couldn't go
back in there. All that blood...the soiled bed sheets...that smell,
that horrible, putrid smell...he couldn't go back in there. He
couldn't do it again...he couldn't.

"Dave?" he heard the rough snap of his father's voice from just
outside the door. Please, God, please... "Are you in there??"

Somehow, he managed to find his voice, which was thick with emotion
but also hoarse from earlier cries. "Yeah. I am."

"Get the fuck to bed. I have a detail shift early tomorrow."

"Okay...in a few minutes."

But once he was sitting there, he didn't feel much like getting up,
especially when the only place to go was his bedroom. And he couldn't
go back in there, he couldn't. It was as if his life depended on it -
which, maybe, it did. So he sat there, listening to the groans of the
floorboards in the hall until the slamming of his father's door caused
him to flinch. He wasn't sure how long it was until he heard it - his
father snoring obnoxiously loud, just like he did every damn night.
And that was his cue.

Carefully, he stood, hissing through clenched teeth as he did so, and
crossed the small bathroom to the door. Each snore he made a movement
- unlock the door, open it, move into the hallway, take a step
forward, then another. And he made sure he could still hear his
father's snores as he made his way down the stairs and out the front
door.

--------------------------------

We were innocent

--------------------------------

"Where did you go?" John asked, after Dave trailed off. He could see
the clear terror in his lover's eyes, as if he were still living that
night, as if his father were going to burst into the room and...God.
He could only imagine what Dave had gone through all those years ago,
what he'd gone through that still managed to haunt him all these years
later.

"At first..." Dave said softly, so quietly John could barely hear him.
"At first I just wandered around...I hadn't really thought about where
I was going to go when I left, I just wanted to get away. I was
so...out of it when I left, I didn't think to take an money, so I knew
I couldn't get far...especially barefoot in bloody pajamas...I was so
stupid, I mean...where did I think I was going?"

"Dave, you were *not* stupid," John said, surprised that he'd even
think something like that. "There's absolutely no way you could've
been in the right state of mind, your father had just...he'd..."

"You can say it, John," Dave snapped, suddenly angry. "After my father
had just raped me. If you can't fucking say it, then how are we
supposed to be able to deal with it?? Is it because you can't say it?
Or...you don't want to?" Abruptly, he pulled away from John, standing
and crossing the room to the broken window. He crossed his arms over
his chest, one moving to cover his face...the bloodied and bruised
hand. Quietly, he said: "God, I knew this would happen..."

"What?" John asked, standing as well and extending his hands in a
pleading gesture. "Knew what would happen?"

"I knew that there'd be a part of you that'd be ashamed of me," he
stated, his eyes traveling over the fragments of glass still stuck in
the sides of the window frame. He traced one of the scars on his
wrist, and John felt his heart jolt. "You're ashamed of what...he
did...of what I let him do...God...I knew I shouldn't have told
you..."

"God, Dave, no!" John exclaimed, moving so that he was standing in
front of him. He was somewhat relieved when he saw Dave's eyes turn
away from the glass, but then sighed with despair as the younger man
took a step back and then sat down on the floor against the arm of the
couch. He was still touching those damn scars as John knelt down in
front of him, grabbing his arms roughly. It startled Dave, but he knew
that the young man didn't always need gentleness. "Dave, listen to me,
damn it! I love you. *I* am *not* ashamed of you. Not today, not ever.
I didn't use the word rape because I didn't want to upset you, not
because I'm ashamed of you. So stop telling me how I feel about
this...shit, even *I'm* not sure..."

"See," he whispered quietly, still not looking at John.

"Shut up, Dave!" he said, startling him again and causing him to look
up. "That's not what I mean. I just...I don't know. I don't blame you,
and I'm not ashamed of you. I'm angry, but...not at you. And I'm hurt
and confused and...I don't know what else. And *that's* what I'm not
sure of. But I know that I love you, so stop trying to push me away.
Just...give me time, Dave, and let me help you. Jesus..."

It was John's turn to cry now, and as soon as he started Dave reached
out and touched the nape of his neck, as his head was bent forward.
"I'm sorry. Please don't cry, John. I...I'm sorry. I'm just...I'm just
scared. I don't...I don't want to lose you..."

"Stop worrying, Dave," he said, as he moved closer to Dave so that he
could hold him. He looked into his lover's eyes, his hand brushing
against his cheek before his lips softly touched Dave's. "Don't worry,
sweetheart. You're not going to lose me, I promise."

For a few moments, they sat there like that, holding each other, until
Dave spoke up. "Do you want me to keep going, or have you heard
enough?"

"I want you to keep going," John replied, rubbing Dave's back gently.
"I want to hear everything."

--------------------------------

Angels, lend me your might

Forfeit all my lies to get just one right

--------------------------------

As soon as Rob Lowe began to take off his shirt, Miranda Raypack was
glad that she'd dragged Dave to see "St. Elmo's Fire" in the movies
last week. This was definitely one of the best dreams she'd had, next
to the one with the Terminator's cute butt. Oh, and then there was the
one with George Michael...

Tap tap tap.

What was that? There, again, this time more incessant. Rob Lowe was
still taking off his shirt, but he was slowing down, fading away.
Wait, she tried to say. Wait, Rob, wait! But there was that damn
tapping sound again, and this time she could hear her name. Miranda,
Miranda...

When she looked now, Rob Lowe was no longer there but her best friend
in his place. What was Dave doing here? He was saying her name, but
when she replied he kept calling out to her. He was shirtless, just as
the object of her affection had been, and while his chest and back
were almost as toned, ugly bruises and scars marred his olive skin.

He was calling to her again. "Miranda! Miranda!"

"I'm here!" she cried, but he couldn't hear her. He was crying now,
and she was too, at the fact that she couldn't help him although she
was right in front of him. "Dave! I'm here!"

Tap tap tap!

The tapping was getting louder now, too loud, so loud she couldn't
even hear him anymore, couldn't even hear herself. It annoyed her, as
she watched her friend crying and suffering like that. Damn it! What
was that sound?? Why wouldn't it go away!? Why couldn't she figure out
where it was coming from!?

Miranda! Miranda!

"I'm right here!" she said, but now his voice was getting softer, his
visage fading away. "Wait!" she yelled, her voice cracking like it did
when she was scared. Darkness was settling over her, and somehow
becoming tangible, as if she reached out she could grab it. It
startled her, so much so that soon her eyes were snapping opening to
reveal the real darkness of her room, the only light coming in from
the glass door that led to her terrace. This used to be her
grandmother's room, with it's own back exit out the balcony and down
the steps, until the elderly woman had died. Then, Miranda had
inherited it, being the oldest of the three Raypack children.

The tapping at her glass door to her terrace jarred her, and she
nearly screamed as she turned fast to see someone standing there,
knocking on it. D�j� vu swept over her as the tapping sound
reverberated throughout the room, her best friend's recognizable voice
calling out to her in an urgent whisper. "Miranda...it's me, it's
Dave...please let me in...please?? Miranda...Miranda! Please..."

Quickly, she scrambled out of bed, dread gathering in the pit of her
stomach. Something had to have happened to make him come out here this
late at night, and she prayed it wasn't anything she couldn't handle.
She knew Dave wouldn't go to a hospital no matter how hard she begged,
and if something happened to him as a consequence she'd never be able
to forgive herself.

"Dave, what's going on?" she asked, as she slid open the glass door.
He came in with a burst of speed, as if he were afraid to be seen.
Lord knew if his father found out about him being here this early in
the morning, he would surely be in deep trouble. If her own parents
found out, Miranda knew she'd be in trouble too, but nowhere near the
capacity as Dave, who was now pacing the room. "Dave?"

"He found out," he simply stated, and then burst into tears.
Immediately, she moved to him, taking him in her arms, but he pulled
away with alarming vigor. She, herself, staggered back, a new kind of
terror seeping into her veins. What the hell had happened? Suddenly,
she was also aware of a bitter smell permeating from her best friend.
Coppery...blood. But...he also smelled like sweat and...vomit. Her
brow furrowed as her worry increased. "I'm sorry," he apologized, his
voice thick as he tried to contain his emotions. He wasn't succeeding.
"Miranda, I don't know what to do. He found out, he found out. I think
he's going to kill me, he wants to kill me. Oh, my God, he's going to
kill me..."

"Dave, slow down!" she whispered harshly, trying to snap him out of
it. He was a mess, that was for sure, and she could barely understand
what he was saying. He was shaking and his eyes were wide with terror,
and as he moved into the moonlight she could see the disfigurements
maiming his face. "God, Dave, what happened??"

"He found out," he repeated, moving to the bed so he could sit down,
but when he did he winced and got back up. This seemed to make him
more upset, and Miranda was almost sure that her parents were going to
wake up due to his cries. It didn't seem like such a bad thing right
now, considering every time she got a better glimpse of Dave his
appearance seemed worse and worse.

"What did he find out?" she asked. "Dave, stop for a second, okay?
What did he find out?"

"Steven!" he hissed, as if it were obvious. "He found out about me and
Steven..."

"Shit," she breathed. "How? What happened?"

"He found a note," Dave said, his shoulders sagged in absolute defeat.
Usually, he spoke with his hands, and since he wasn't it was probably
the only reason Miranda noticed that one was tucked against his chest,
the other cradling it there. She tried to see why, but couldn't in the
darkness. He began speaking again, drawing her eyes back to his
bruised face. "Miranda, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to
do! I thought - I thought he was going to kill me but he didn't. I
don't - I - what do I do??"

"Dave," she said, motioning for him to keep it down. "You'll wake up
my parents. Does he know you're gone?"

"He was sleeping when I left," he replied, and was then suddenly
alarmed. "What if he wakes up?? Oh, God. He'll kill me."

He kept saying that, and she didn't like it. No way in *hell* was she
letting him leave here if those words were true, but she had to figure
that out by comprehending her friend's panicked rambling. "Okay.
Just...tell me what happened. Exactly. Did...did he beat you up?" A
tentative nod followed. "How long ago? Just now?"

He shook his head, and then glanced at the clock. "A few hours ago. I
think. I...I can't really remember..."

"Did you get knocked out?" she asked. "Dave, if you got knocked out
you could've gotten hurt worse than you might think you did." She saw
him flinch at her words, and suddenly more tears were silently making
their way down his cheeks. Tentatively, she asked: "Dave...how bad was
it?"

"Oh, God, Miranda," he cried, and she began to too. She tried to hide
it though, because she had to be strong for him. She couldn't fall
apart when he needed her. "Miranda, it was so bad...he just came at
me, and pushed me up against the wall. He said...he said I was a fag
and then he just started hitting me...I got away, and I tried to run
up the stairs and get to my room, but he caught me and...and he
just...he wouldn't stop, he wouldn't..." He was sobbing now,
absolutely terrified although there was no danger here. She tried to
take a step forward, to hug him reassuringly, or do *something* to
make him feel better, but he took a step back. He didn't even seem to
realize it, which scared her more. "Miranda, he wouldn't stop...please
believe me when I say I tried to stop him, please believe me...I tried
so hard, but he was on me and all over me and I couldn't...I tried, I
tried, but I couldn't..."

"Dave, stop," she said, absolutely confused and absolutely petrified
at the same time. "You're not making any sense...what...I don't
understand."

"I can't, I can't..." he said, which puzzled her even more. "I can't,
Miranda."

"Can't what?" she asked. "Can't go home? Can't...can't tell me?" He
nodded. "You can't tell me. Why not? Dave, we can tell each other
anything, that's why we're best friends. What...what happened? What
can't you tell me?"

"Because...Miranda, it was so bad," he stated, moving to the bed and
sitting down, although she saw him visibly wince. He remained there
though, though he shifted uncomfortably, and she knelt down in front
of him, close to his knees, the smells overwhelming all of her other
senses, and she didn't even want to begin to imagine what they were
from. She reached next to her, where her nightstand was, and pulled
the chain to her lamp until the light clicked on. And, for the first
time, she saw the damage that had been inflicted upon her best friend
by his own father.

"Oh, my God, Dave," she whispered. "Please, talk to me."

He wouldn't look at her, although she tried to catch his eyes as he
spoke. "Miranda, I couldn't...I tried to get away but he was faster
than me, and he...he was all over me. I started panicking and I
couldn't stop him, I couldn't stop him...I thought he was going to
kill me, Miranda, I swear to God..." His voice hitched as he choked
back a sob, and he was rambling but she let him, trying to figure out
what he was saying. "God, it was so disgusting, Miranda, it was so
disgusting. I feel so disgusting, I'm so disgusting. Oh, my God, it
was so disgusting..."

"What...?" she asked, and finally he met her eyes. And she saw it, saw
it with such certainty that it arced through her and chilled her heart
so much she shivered. She looked away, as she began to cry, her hand
covering her mouth to silence her sobs.

"Miranda..." her friend quietly said, as he touched her hair with his
good hand. "Miranda, please don't cry. Please don't cry..." She
couldn't stop though, and knew that he was probably talking to himself
as well as her. Tentatively, he touched her again, and she knew he
wanted her to hold him even though he couldn't say it. Dave never said
that kind of stuff. Quietly, she took him into her arms, feeling him
tense but soon relax and melt into her embrace. He held on to her,
shaking as he sobbed into her shirt, begging her to stop crying and
telling her that it was going to be okay. "Miranda, it's going to be
okay, you don't have to cry. You don't...you don't have to be sad..."

"I know, Dave," she whispered, her voice thick as she cradled him in
her arms. "I know...I know...it'll be okay, I know...it might not be
today, or tomorrow, but it'll be okay...it'll be okay..."

--------------------------------

All those colors long since faded

And all our smiles are confiscated

--------------------------------

"Those words meant so much to me that night," Dave said softly. "It
made me think that maybe...just maybe...one day everything was going
to be okay..."

"She sounds like she was a good friend," John said, his voice thick as
silent tears made their way down his cheeks.

"She was. God, she didn't deserve to be treated the way I treated
her," he stated, and John had a feeling he'd be hearing about that
soon. "You know...Abby reminds me a lot of Miranda. I think that's why
we're so close...why I let Abby get close to me in the first place.
They have a lot of the same qualities."

"Like what?" John asked.

"Smart, funny...loyal, protective," Dave said, after pausing a moment
in thought. "Beautiful...inside and out."

"You see so many wonderful qualities in other people," John said, "it
shocks me that you can't see them in yourself, Dave."

"John...I know you don't like Abby very much," Dave said quietly, and
John knew the statement was partially said to change the subject. He
didn't say that, though, because he wanted to hear just what Dave was
getting at. "But she's a good person. If you took the time to get to
know her, you'd love her."

"Dave..." John started, but didn't really know what to say. Had it
been that obvious? But...it wasn't that he didn't *like* Abby, because
he did, really. He just didn't like that she and Dave were so...close.
He didn't like that Dave was able to say "I love you" to her before he
was able to say it to him. But how could he say that now without
sounding like a complete asshole? Here Dave was confessing the worst
thing that could happen to a person, and John was jealous of a
friendship. "Dave, I like Abby, I really do. But...I just...I don't
know, I just get jealous sometimes. It's nothing that you two do, it's
just me and my ego, I guess. But that isn't important right now.
What's important right now is you getting through this."

There was a long pause, and the way John was holding Dave - with the
younger man leaning against his chest - he couldn't really see his
face, so he waited for a reaction. He wasn't really expecting what he
got: "You get jealous?"

"Yeah," he admitted.

"That's kinda sexy."

John chuckled softly, glad to see Dave's humor despite everything.
Quietly, he asked: "Do you want to continue, or do you want to stop
for the night? Or...I don't want to push...I"

"Do you want to hear any more?"

Gently, John took Dave's hand. "I want to hear everything you have to
say, Dave, no matter how bad."

--------------------------------

Never were we told

We'd be bought and sold

--------------------------------

Steven Drake was beginning to get worried.

So his boyfriend hadn't gone to school Tuesday. No big deal, he could
be sick. But when he'd called that night, no one had answered the
phone. Dave's father usually didn't pick up, except when Dave wasn't
home, but he didn't answer now. Which meant that they were both gone.
But where were they? Steven had brushed it off as something bizarre,
figuring he could ask Dave about it tomorrow in school.

Tomorrow rolled around, and Dave still hadn't been in school. Now
anxious, Steven had hunted down Miranda, who had been extremely hard
to find; briefly, he wondered if she was avoiding him. And, since it
was now Thursday, it was needless to say that she hadn't been very
forthcoming about anything during their short conversation.

"You don't know where he is?" he'd asked, as she'd rifled through her
locker.

"I do," was the reply he'd received. "He's at home. He's sick."

"Why won't he answer the phone?"

"He's sick."

"Too sick to answer the phone?" he'd asked, skeptical as hell. "What
about his dad?? Why doesn't...?" He trailed off, seeing her flinch at
his words, and suddenly his heart was doing ninety miles an hour. "Did
something happen, Miranda?"

She looked at him, finally, her eyes telling him a story in a language
he couldn't understand. For a moment, he just stared at her, startled
by her reaction. He'd managed to then open his mouth to say something
- anything - but the bell rang, and she made haste towards her class
without another word.

"Miranda - Miranda!!" he called, going after her, but she wouldn't
turn back. He let out a frustrated "Shit!" punching the locker next to
him and denting it, scaring a few tardy underclassmen nearby.
Psychology was his next class, a course he and Dave had managed to get
together. The class was quiet without Dave's comments, which usually
ended up in some sort of debate on how the teacher was wrong. Most of
the time, Dave gave a pretty good argument and they agreed to
disagree.

Damn it, Steven thought now. Something had happened, he could feel it
in his bones, knew it with the same assurance that told him the sky
was blue. And it scared him, the more he thought about it, the more
detailed the scenarios got in his head. Because while Dave had never
actually confided in him what went on in that house, he knew his
father was quite the asshole, to say the least, and got a pretty good
idea from an occasional glimpse at a bruise as to what went on.

"Shit," he hissed again, drawing several eyes his way. But he didn't
care. He didn't give a single damn. Because all he could seem to
understand was how his boyfriend's empty seat gaped at him the entire
class.

--------------------------------

We were innocent

--------------------------------

Thursday night had always been Dave and Miranda's so-called "movie
night." They'd walk to the rental store down the street, pick out a
few flicks, and then watch them over at Miranda's until around nine.
They were both movie freaks, and usually ended up having a great time
even if the movie sucked. But tonight, as Miranda watched the
television with Dave in her living room, it was anything but
enjoyable.

Dave didn't seem able to sit still, and while he'd remained quiet most
of the time, occasionally he grunted or hissed through his teeth as he
shifted uncomfortably. Miranda couldn't even say what the movie was
vaguely about if asked - she couldn't concentrate on anything but
Dave, sitting next to her in obvious pain. She heard him hiss again,
and just couldn't take it anymore.

"Dave, you need help," she blurted out, turning away from Michael J.
Fox driving at illegal speeds to get back to the future.

"What?" he asked, surprised. That'd come straight out of nowhere.
Quickly, he replied, "I do not, I'm fine."

"You haven't relaxed since you got here!" she exclaimed. "You keep
moving around and making noises. You need a doctor, Dave."

"I'm *fine*," he stated, this time more firmly. "I don't need anyone."

"So why are you cutting school?" she asked. "If you're so fine, why
aren't you going to school??"

"I'm not cutting," he snapped. "My dad said I could stay home."

"Yeah, to cover his ass," she hissed.

"That's right, Miranda, he *is* covering his ass. But that's fine with
me, just look at my fucking face," he snapped, indicating it as he did
so. The swelling had gone down, but the bruises were still there. His
fingers gingerly traced his jaw, up to his nose and eye, and then he
turned away from his friend. "I can't let Steven see me like this. You
know how he gets."

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her flinch at his words. He knew
he should've never come to her that night, but he hadn't exactly been
in the right frame of mind at the time. Now, lucid, he felt bad. He
knew how *she* got: guilty as hell that she couldn't help. Wasn't her
fault she didn't get that he really didn't need it. She just didn't
understand that, no matter how hard he tried to explain it to her.

"Look," he said, after sighing. "I'll go tomorrow, okay?"

"That's not the point." She crossed her arms over her chest. Great,
now she was upset. "The point *is*, is that you need to see someone."

"No!" he yelled, more harshly than he'd intended. "I don't need to see
*anyone*!! I'm just beat up, I'm not dying!"

"Dave, what he did - !"

"He didn't *do* anything," he said, cutting her off sharply. "He only
beat me up. It happens. I'm fine. Can we just watch the fucking
movie??"

"That's not all he did, and we both know it, Dave," Miranda stated,
looking at Dave, her worry for him only increasing with his denial.
And maybe it was only to be expected, but it couldn't be healthy.

"Look," he spat. "I don't know what you imagined in your sick head,
Miranda, but I just got the shit kicked out of me. Whatever else you
imagined."

"Fine," she replied, turning back to the screen. He glanced at her,
seeing her chin quavering as she fought not to cry. Shit, he thought,
as he leaned his head back against the sofa behind them. Of course he
knew that wasn't true. Every moment of everyday he thought about what
had happened that night, but, God, he did not want to speak of it with
another human being. He sighed, before turning to her again, when she
abruptly snapped at him, startling him because she never got like
*this* before. "Shut up, Dave. Okay? Just shut up. If you want to
pretend that nothing happened, then shut up. No, you didn't come to me
at two in the morning, absolutely terrified that your father was going
to kill you. No, I didn't hold you and cry with you, and say that
everything was going to be okay. No, you didn't go home an hour later
and leave me wondering if I was ever going to see you again. No, none
of it happened, Dave, okay? None of it fucking happened."

And now *he* felt guilty as hell, as he turned back to the television.
God, he'd been so stupid to go to her like that, felt so stupid to
expect so much of her, expect so much that she couldn't possibly give.
He felt so selfish, felt like such a bad person. Quietly, he
whispered: "I'm sorry."

"It's not okay. Sometimes sorry isn't enough, Dave." He flinched,
looking at her in surprise, but she was still facing the television.
He opened his mouth to say something, but he didn't know what to say
to fix this, to make everything just go back to the way it'd been
before. The doorbell rang out, interrupting his thoughts, and Miranda
quickly jumped up. "I'll get it."

Dave remained on the floor, damning his life for being so fucked up.
Now, his best friend - his only friend, really - was angry with him,
and even an apology couldn't make it better. He felt like an asshole.
Maybe when she got back, he could talk to her more, explain things to
her, reassure her even, and it would be okay. Then they could finish
watching the movie and have fun, like always. A quick glance at the
clock let him know he'd have to go in a few minutes, but he could talk
to her in that amount of time. It could be okay in that amount of
time. It had to be. After everything that had happened in that last
few days he couldn't lose her.

"Who was it?" Dave asked, when Miranda stepped back into the room.
He'd been looking at the television, but when she didn't reply and
instead just stood there, he glanced up at her, ready to ask her again
when he saw who else was in the room. "Steven."

"Hey, Dave," his boyfriend responded, as he stood from the floor
quickly. The older boy's face immediately softened as he saw Dave's
bruises and overall harried appearance, and when he took a step closer
he was surprised that Dave took a step back. "What happened to you?"

"What are you doing here?" Dave asked, ignoring the question, unable
to meet his lover's eyes. Instead, he met Miranda's, his glare
speaking volumes. "Did Miranda invite you?"

"Yeah," Steven replied. "She did. She's worried about you, and I've
been worried for days. Where have you been?"

"Home," he stated, quickly. "I've been home. I've been...sick."

"I called a million times."

"I know. I was sick."

"Too sick to answer the phone?" Steven asked, but didn't pursue the
thought. "You look like shit, Dave."

"Thanks," he said, sarcastically. "I feel like it too. Listen, I'd
love to hear you insult me some more, but I have to go home."

"I can't let you do that."

"What?" He glanced up, in surprise, only noticing now that Steven was
standing directly in the doorway. Slowly, Dave turned to look at
Miranda, asking accusingly: "What did you tell him?" Almost
immediately, she began to cry, guilty tears quickly making their way
down her face. "You fucking bitch! You promised me you wouldn't say
anything! You promised! What the fuck, Miranda!!"

"I'm sorry, Dave," she cried, a hand moving to her mouth to stifle a
sob. "Dave, I'm so sorry."

"Sorry my ass," he snapped, angry. "You lying bitch. I trusted you,
you lying bitch!"

"Dave, stop it!" Steven yelled, startling him. "She's just worried
about you. We're both worried. God, why can't you see that! We're only
doing this because we love you."

Dave winced, the familiar words echoing throughout his head. Quickly,
he regained his composure, stating, "I don't care. I have to leave or
- "

"Or what? Or your father will kill you?" Steven asked, taking another
step closer to Dave, who took yet another step back. Dave threw an
accusatory glance at Miranda, remembering her words from earlier and
that night. She'd said the same thing then...God, what had she told
him? "Is that what's next? He'll kill you? I'm sorry, but I'm not
going to let that happen."

"So what are you going to do??" Dave asked with a bitter laugh. "What
are you going to do? Call the police? Because they're not going to
help you. My dad's a cop, Steven, he's one of them. You think they're
going to turn in one of their own? Good luck, because it's not
happening. He's fucking untouchable! So just forget about it, and move
out of my way."

"No." The response surprised him. "I'm not moving, Dave."

"Steven, get the fuck out of my way," he said as evenly as he could.
"I am not going to stand here and play games with you all fucking
night. I have to go home. I live in the real world, Steven, not in a
dream world. I live in a world with consequences. So I *have* to
*go*."

"Dave, just listen to what he has to say," Miranda tried.

"Fuck you!" Dave yelled. "*Fuck* you!"

"Would you stop yelling at her??" Steven asked, almost seemingly
annoyed. "She isn't doing this to hurt you. We're just trying to help
you."

"I don't need your help!" he cried, his voice sounding desperate to
his own ears. "I don't need your help, and I sure as hell don't want
it! So get the fuck out of my way, Steven, before you make me late!"
The older boy didn't budge, and Dave let out a frustrated sigh before
moving towards him. "Get out of my way."

"Make me."

"You don't think I can? Is that it??"

"I don't think you *will*," Steven countered. "You are not your
father."

"Don't count on that," Dave hissed, his eyes cold and hard.

They stood there for a moment, staring each other down. Steven was
taller but Dave was stronger than he looked, and both knew that,
although the former had never seen any kind of violence from his
boyfriend. In fact, Dave always seemed afraid that he might lose
control and hurt someone as a consequence, making him even more gentle
and apprehensive. That's why the hard shove to Steven's chest took the
older boy more by surprise than it should have, nearly knocking him
off of his feet. He regained his balance quickly though, grabbing
Dave's arm roughly before he could move past him, pulling him back
into the room.

"Stop!" Miranda screamed, and Steven only realized then - too late -
that he had grabbed at Dave's visibly bruised wrist, causing the
younger boy to cry out in pain as he lost his own balance and fell
hard.

"Dave!" he said, quickly moving to help him off of the floor, but his
boyfriend - if he could still even be called that - pushed him and
actually crawled back away from him. "Dave, I'm sorry, I didn't mean
to hurt you."

"Why is it that everyone who is supposed to love me hurts me?" Dave
yelled, pain etched on his face, not only from his arm but also from
falling to the floor right on his ass. "Just get away from me. Don't
touch me, don't fucking touch me. None of you touch me."

"Dave, I - "

"Shut the fuck up, Steven," he snapped, as he stumbled into a standing
position. Steven stood directly in front of him, his closeness
unnerving. "Get out of my way."

"Dave, I'm sorry." He tried putting his hands on Dave's shoulders,
reassuringly, but Dave only pushed them away. "Dave, just listen."

"No, *you* listen!" Dave yelled. "Get the fuck out of my way! I'm
going home!"

"Dave - "

"Move!"

"Dave, would you just - ?"

"I said *move*!!"


"Dave!"

The loud smack reverberated throughout the room, the sound of Steven
hitting the floor even more startling. Dave stood there, horrified,
his knuckles stinging as he stumbled back, tears brimming at his eyes.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you, either of you. I
guess I am my father's son. I'm so sorry. I never...please forgive
me..."

In an instant, he was running, bursting out the door and onto
Miranda's front lawn, running down the street to his own house. He
heard footsteps behind him, heard Steven's voice calling out to him.
Dave might've been stronger but he'd never been a fast runner, and
Steven was on the track team. He knew his efforts to escape would be
in vain, but he wasn't going to give up. Giving up had never been his
forte. Not yet anyway.

"Dave, wait!" he heard, Steven's voice almost directly behind him.
"Dave, please, wait! I just want to talk to you!" He felt Steven's
hand on his arm then, stopping him from running and making his own
momentum turn him around to face the other boy. Out of breath, Steven
said softly: "Dave. Just wait a minute."

"Steven, let me go," Dave told him, trying to get out of Steven's
grasp but he wouldn't relent, knowing Dave would start running again.
"Steven, let go of me."

"Dave, just listen," he said beseechingly, reaching out to gently
touch Dave's face, but the young boy flinched, his breath catching as
he did so. His voice shaking, absolutely heartbroken, Steven asked:
"God, Dave...what did he do to make you so afraid of me?"

With surprise, Dave glanced up, his eyes searching Steven's with
confusion. Why would he ask that if...? He realized it then: she
hadn't told him. She hadn't told him a single thing. His best friend
hadn't gone back on her word, she hadn't broken her promise to him.
She never broke her promises to him, he should've remembered that. And
he was crying now, at the fact that he must've hurt Miranda so much
with the awful things he said to her. This was all his fault. His
entire fault...

"Dave..."

"I'm sorry, Steven," he said quietly, shaking with sobs. "I'm so
sorry. Please tell Miranda I said I'm sorry. I didn't mean any of the
things I said. To you too. I know you love me, I know that. I love you
too, Steven, but you have to let me go. You have to let me go."

Both knew he wasn't just talking about letting him go physically. And
it hit Steven hard, harder than any punch that could be delivered to
him, from Dave or anyone else. "Dave, I can't do that."

"You have to. Please, Steven..." He felt the other boy's grip loosen
on his arms, until his hands reluctantly fell away from them. Dave
began to cry harder as he backed away. "I'm sorry, Steven. I never
meant to hurt you. Please believe me when I say I'm sorry."

"I believe you, Dave," he replied, but it was too late. He was already
gone.

--------------------------------

This prayer is for me tonight

This far down that line, and still ain't got it right

--------------------------------

Dave quietly stepped inside of his house, closing the door behind him
carefully and wincing as he heard the click of the lock behind him. He
stood there for a moment, his forehead leaning against the cold wood
of the front door, trying to regain his composure before he continued
on. With a ragged sigh, he turned to go upstairs, startling and
stepping back into the closed door as the figure of his father stood
before him.

"You're late."

"I know," he stammered, nodding. "I'm sorry. I wanted to see the end
of the movie."

"Seeing that fag again?" his father asked, grabbing his bruised wrist
hard, causing Dave to gasp.

"No," Dave replied quickly, shaking his head. "I was at Miranda's
house."

"You messing around with her now?" he asked accusingly, as he pushed
Dave back into the door. "You better not, or you'll end up just like
me, with some fucking faggot kid you don't want."

"I'm not, I'm not..." Dave stated. "We're just friends..."

"Yeah, right," was the harsh reply he received. Abruptly, he grabbed
Dave's face, forcing him to look at him. "Just like you and that
faggot are 'just friends.' You're not still seeing him, are you??"

"I said I wasn't."

"Don't get fucking smart with me," he snapped, and suddenly moved very
close to him - so close Dave could feel the erection pressing into his
hip and smell the alcohol on his breath. He felt sick then, but
swallowed the bile that was rising up in the back of his throat as he
began to shake. "You know what'll happen when you get smart with me."

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, his voice thick.

"Oh, don't start crying, you fucking baby," he said, disgusted. He
pushed Dave back again, the metal knob of the door hitting his back.
"Get the fuck to bed."

"Okay," he replied, his voice barely above a whisper before he ran
upstairs and into his room, closing the door behind him. He fell to
his knees before his bed, almost as if he were praying, and he was
tempted to before he realized with a sudden epiphany that no one was
listening. God didn't exist; if he did then surely he wouldn't have
let this happen, wouldn't have let Dave get so lost and desperate and
hopeless. No God would let that happen. And the only explanation that
Dave could come up with was because God didn't exist.

And he realized, at that moment, that he was completely and utterly
alone. Miranda hated him, Steven had let him go, and now he didn't
even have a God to turn to. What...what was left? His mother didn't
have a clue as to what was going on, so she couldn't help him, no
matter how desperately he felt like picking up the phone and calling
her right now. No one could help him. Not that false God, not anyone.

Suddenly, with such anger that scared him, Dave grabbed the crucifix
off of his dresser and broke it in half, the plastic Jesus breaking in
two and breaking away from the wooden cross. He held two pieces of
wood in his hands, one full of sharp, splintered points and the other
solid and razorblade sharp. He was transfixed by the sharp piece, and
suddenly realized what he had to do.

It still made him sad, and he began to cry as he sat down on the
floor, leaning against his bed. Tentatively, he took the sharp wood
and cut his arm, nearer to his elbow than his hand. It stung, but only
for a moment. Closer now, he cut himself again. And again. Again. Now,
the wood hovered above his wrist, the veins almost more prominent than
usual.

What would happen to him? he wondered. He was convinced he would just
stop, because if God didn't exist than neither did Heaven or Hell. You
just stopped, you didn't die. Death wasn't real. Nothing was real
anymore. There was no one, there was nothing to live for. Not Miranda,
not Steven, not his mother. Would they miss him, though? Eventually
they would forget him. He would be nothing but a memory to them
someday. They wouldn't hurt forever. They hated him now anyway; sooner
rather than later things would be back to normal for them. This, he
was sure of.

So, with a final sweep of his hand, he pierced his skin and dragged
the sharp wood across his delicate veins, asking for forgiveness just
in case there really was a God. Because, sometimes, he just didn't
know what he did. But he was almost sure he would've done better if he
knew how.

--------------------------------

And while confessions not yet stated

Our next sin is contemplated

--------------------------------

"How could you possibly have believed that people would be 'okay'
without you?" John asked, his vision blurred by his tears. "God...I
would die without you, Dave. God..."

"You know that isn't true, John," Dave said, so calmly John was
shocked into silence. "You'd mourn for me for a while, maybe be pissed
at me for doing it, but...eventually you would move on, and someday
I'd just be a distant memory in your mind. So distant you'd barely
remember me."

"How can you say that to me?" John asked, utterly shocked. "Is that
how you feel about me? Is that how you would feel if I killed myself,
or if I died??"

"No, but that's different," Dave stated, shaking his head.
"That's...well...you."

"What makes your grief so much deeper than mine?" John asked,
confused, but then it hit him. Dave's grief wasn't deeper, it was just
that Dave wasn't as important. Dave didn't think he was important, he
didn't value himself as a person to be missed. "Oh, Dave," John said,
despairingly. "You are so wrong. You don't know how many people would
miss you if you died. You should've seen everyone when you overdosed.
Abby was a mess. She couldn't eat or sleep, she could barely work.
Luka asked about you on a daily basis. And your mother? God...your
mother was physically ill. Her heart was broken, Dave.

"And me?" John asked, his lover's expression showing his guilt. "I was
a mess, Dave. I was incomplete without you. I missed going to work and
seeing you there. I missed coming home to you. I missed feeling you
next to me when I slept, and seeing you there when I woke up. I
couldn't even imagine what it would be like if that were permanent.
Shit...I'd probably kill myself too."

"I'm sorry..." Dave said, quietly.

"That's not the point, Dave," John stated. "I know you think we'd all
move on, and maybe we would...maybe someday I would, if I didn't
decide to join you. But it wouldn't be the next day, or the next week,
or the next month...probably not even the next year. You're my
soulmate, Dave. Do you know what that means? Do you have any idea? It
means that I can't live without you. It means that I ache for you when
you're not around, and even when you are I can feel it because I'm
thinking about the next time you'll be somewhere else. When you were
lying in that hospital bed and I couldn't be with you, I wanted to
die. I know that you think you're shit, and that you don't matter, and
that people would forget you, but you're wrong, Dave, you are sorely
mistaken. And if that's what your father thought, then he was wrong
too. More wrong than words can ever express."

John couldn't see Dave's face, since it was buried in his chest, but
he heard his lover take in a quavering breath, felt his lover shaking,
and knew that he was crying. And John was crying to, but it didn't
matter. Because every word he's spoken was true. "I know that you
don't believe me, but someday you will...I promise you, someday I will
make you believe me, Dave."

"That's not the end of my story," Dave suddenly said, and while John
wasn't surprised he'd changed the subject, he was surprised that he'd
change it to that.

"Then go on," he urged softly. "I'm listening."

--------------------------------

Never did we know

What the future would hold

--------------------------------

Logically, his story couldn't have ended there, since, over ten years
later, Dave was still alive and kicking. Or at least half alive,
because that was sure how he felt these days. But, anyway, someone had
found him that night, after he'd passed out from blood loss. It had
probably been his father, though he'd never asked and no one had ever
told him. He'd never know why his old man hadn't just let him bleed to
death on that floor, after all the times he'd nearly killed Dave with
his own bare hands. His father had died in prison before he could ask
- not that he probably ever would have. He'd never spoken to the man
ever again after the day he woke up in the hospital. But he often
wondered if his fathered toyed with the idea of letting him bleed to
death on the floor.

It'd been daylight when he forced his heavy eyelids to open, the sun
creeping in through half-closed blinds. Immediately, he'd recognized
his surroundings, having been there several times before. His nose
took in the smell of antiseptic and other various scents, just as his
ears heard the sounds of rubber soles squeaking on linoleum along with
gurneys and trays; he always took comfort in hospitals. It was the
only place he ever felt safe, the only place he knew he was free from
danger.

His mother had been asleep in the visitor's chair next to his bed. He
reached out his hand, noticing his gauzed wrist as he did so, and
nudged her gently. His voice was hoarse when he spoke to her.
"Ma...wake up. Hey, Ma..."

Her eyes snapped open as she heard his voice, and her expression
displayed her guilt as she reached out her hand and touched his face
with the sort of affection only a mother could have for her child. Her
eyes welled up with tears as she leaned forward and kissed his cheek,
his forehead, his nose, his lips, everywhere. He waved her off,
embarrassed at what he'd done and the fact that he hadn't been kissed
like that by his mother since he was ten.

"Dave, I'm so glad you're awake," she said, wiping away the tears that
were only replaced by new ones. "I was so worried about you."

"It's okay," he assured her softly, but the words sounded hollow and
fake even to him. "I'm okay now."

"You are," she stated, nodding. "You're safe now, no one can hurt you
anymore."

Then, he, himself, started to cry, ashamed that he could show such
emotion in front of his mother. He never liked to cry in front of her,
because he knew it upset her. But he was so overwhelmed with so much
emotion he couldn't help it. He was safe now. He'd never be hurt
again. And he could move to Chicago with her and start a new life
there. He wouldn't have to be afraid anymore. He was free. He was
free, and it was the best feeling in the world.

"Dave's awake?"

His stomach dropped to his knees as he heard that voice, and it was as
if the air had been punched right out of his lungs. He looked at his
mother, absolutely horrified. "What the hell?"

"Dave, watch your language," she automatically warned, but then sensed
his terror. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"What's he doing here?" Dave asked, looking at his father, who was
standing in the doorway of the hospital room. "What's he doing here!?"

"He's your father," his mother stated, as if he didn't know.

"You said..." Something was wrong. Something was very, *very* wrong.
"You said no one would hurt me anymore. What...who were you...what??"

"Steven," she replied. "I was talking about Steven, about what he did
to you. The bruises, the scars, the...other injuries...he can't hurt
you anymore, Dave. He's in jail now."

"No, no, no..." Oh, God. Oh, no. This couldn't be happening. This
couldn't...but...how?? Immediately, he looked to his father, angry and
appalled. "You lying son of a bitch. You lying son of a bitch!! You
liar! You fucking liar!! You're a fucking liar!!"

"Dave!" his mother exclaimed, surprised by her son's behavior. "Dave,
you don't have to lie for him anymore. Steven can't hurt you here."

"Steven would never hurt me!" Dave yelled. "He loves me! He loves me!!
And I love him! We don't hurt each other, we've never hurt each
other!"

"Dave, sometimes people that love us, hurt us," she told him,
consolingly. "They don't mean it, but they need help."

"No, Ma, you have to listen to me," Dave said, just as a doctor
entered the room, probably from hearing the commotion. "Ma, you need
to listen to me. It wasn't Steven who did this to me."

"Dave, it's good to see you awake," the doctor said, a middle-aged man
who was handsome for his fifty-some years. He was smiling, although
Dave could see the confusion in his eyes. "I know you're a little
upset now, but you need to calm down. Everyone did what they could to
help you, not hurt you. You're safe now."

"No!" Dave cried, and then pointed to his father. "He hurts me! He
hurts me!! It wasn't Steven that did this to me, I swear to God it
wasn't Steven! It was him!"

"You'd better watch it, Dave," his father said, his anger obvious in
his tone. "You'd better watch it before you make accusations like
that. I didn't do anything to you, it was that faggot kid."

"Frank, don't say things like that," his mother said, annoyed. "You're
not making this any better."

"Your son's trying to protect his boyfriend by blaming me," he
retorted. "He brainwashed you that much, huh?" He looked to Rhonda.
"You don't even see him! You call yourself a mother, and you just fall
for everything that comes out of his lying mouth!"

"I'm not lying!" Dave said, as he began to cry from the hopelessness
of his situation. "I swear to God, it was him! Ma, please, listen to
me, please..."

"Dave, calm down, honey," his mother said, as she pulled him into her
arms. He clutched at her tightly, sobbing into her shoulder.
"Shhhh...Dave, just calm down, okay? You're safe here."

"You keep saying that," he whispered into her ear, just loud enough
for her to hear and not anyone else. "You keep saying that, Ma, but
it's not true, it's not true...Dad did this to me, I swear I'm not
lying to you. You don't think he's capable of this, but he is, he
is...he did this to me, Ma, and he did it to me when I was a kid
too...I was just a little kid, Ma...I'll tell you everything, I swear
I'll tell you everything if you'll just listen..."

"Shh..." she said soothingly, pulling away but meeting his eyes and
nodding slightly. She glanced at the doctor and at her ex-husband,
feigning innocence as she said: "Why don't you let me calm him down,
okay? Then we can straighten everything out and start talking about
when he can come home."

"I want to be here," Frank insisted, his stare fixed on his son.

"Perhaps if we gave him a sedative...?" the doctor suggested.

"No!" Dave exclaimed, just as his mother jutted in.

"I want to speak with my son. Alone."

"Certainly," the doctor stated, ushering a disgruntled Frank out of
the room. "If you can't calm him, we can prescribe something to make
him feel better, at least for now. All he needs is some rest and
reassurance."

"Of course," Frank replied, glaring at his son. "You just watch what
you say. It'll save everyone a lot of trouble."

Automatically, he nodded, his eyes darting away, but once they were
alone, he glanced up at his mother, his eyes pleading. Without waiting
for a request, he began to speak, his words tripping over one another
as they came out in graceless sentences. He never stopped, spoke over
her when she tried to interrupt, and kept speaking until he was
finished, because he knew if he even paused once he might not be able
to continue due to self-consciousness or an outside force. God knew
how much time he had before his father or that doctor came back in.
And he begged his mother to believe him, explained everything in such
detail that she knew he couldn't have made this up on the spot or
elsewhere. Lies were never that intricate, and she felt sick to her
stomach, so much so that she excused herself for a moment to throw up
in the bathroom adjoining Dave's room. God, how could she have missed
this??

Dave winced as he heard his mother's retching from behind the closed
door. At least she believed him, he considered sadly, feeling guilty
for making her sick like that. He was always feeling guilty, but knew
most of the time things were his fault. Maybe if he just did what he
was told, behaved like he should, then no one would be in this mess.
God, why did he have to be so fucked up?

"I told you to watch what you said." His head turned so fast to face
the doorway that his neck let out a crack of protest. His father moved
to the bed, as Dave scooted as far away as he could. "I hear her in
there. What the fuck did you tell her?"

"Nothing," he said quickly. "I didn't tell her anything."

"Fucking liar," he hissed, grabbing Dave's bandaged wrist and
squeezing hard, his fingernails digging into the sutures beneath and
drawing blood. "You can't do anything you're fucking told, can you??"

"I'll scream if you don't let me go," Dave threatened, his voice
shaking. He knew it'd been a mistake the instant his father reached
out and grabbed his face, his large hand covering his mouth and nose,
hindering him from screaming but also from breathing. God...after
everything...after finally feeling an ounce of hope, his father was
still going to manage to kill him. It figured.

"Get away from him!" His mother, God bless her. She was small, Dave
was already taller than her, and Dave knew she would never stand a
chance against her former husband. If Dave couldn't, certainly she
couldn't either. "You get away from my son! You get away from my son
and out of this room, and I'm calling the police, you disgusting
pervert!"

"Your son is a fucking lying faggot," Frank yelled, his grip
tightening against Dave's wrist and against his face. He couldn't
breathe, and he felt his chest tightening from the lack of oxygen. In
vain, he tried to pull away, but his father was stronger than him.
"He's feeding lies to you, and you're just eating them up like the
good mother you pretend to be, you stupid bitch."

"Let him go!!" she screamed, moving to them and hitting her ex-husband
with all her might. It was a noble effort, but she didn't do much
damage and Dave's father definitely didn't relent. She began to
scream, moving to the doorway and calling to anyone who would listen.
"Help! I need help! Please, help me! He's trying to kill my son!! I
need help!"

Almost instantly the room was crowded. A security guard had grabbed
Dave's father around the waist, pulling him hard, jerking his hands
away from Dave and allowing him to breathe once more. Yelling. Crying.
Fighting. Handcuffs snapping shut. Protective arms around his body,
cradling him. His mother's familiar scent engulfing him. It was all
meshed together at this point, everything happening somehow at the
same time and yet in slow motion, stretching on into forever. From
what his mother had told him later, Dave had been so upset he'd
actually been sedated into a numb stupor until the next day.

Sometimes, he wished he could've been sedated into a numb stupor for
the rest of his life.

--------------------------------

Or that we'd be bought and sold

--------------------------------

"Pretty fucked up, huh?" Dave asked softly.

"Yeah," John agreed just as quietly, and then kissed Dave's forehead.
"Thank you for trusting me enough to tell me." His lover just
shrugged, in that deceptive way he always did. "Can I ask you a
question?"

"Sure."

"What happened to Steven?"

"Well..." Dave said, rather shakily. "When my father was arrested and
charged, they released him. After that, I don't know. He tried to see
me in the hospital. He stopped by all the time, but I wouldn't let the
nurses let him in. Miranda would come too, but...eventually she gave
up. But Steven, he...he kept coming. Up until the day I left. I used
to imagine him after I moved away, going there and finding out that I
was gone...God...I treated them both so badly, I never wanted to see
them again...they'd be better without me in their lives, fucking them
up and pulling them down into my shit. And now history is repeating
itself with Abby and you."

"Dave - "

"I only went back to New York once," he interrupted, before John could
get in another word. The older man sighed, allowing him to get away
with it. "To testify. And then my father was convicted and sent to
prison...but I wasn't there when he was convicted or sentenced..."

"Why?" he asked.

"I was still too fucked up," he replied. "I didn't even go to my
senior year of high school. I had tutors and all that, because I
would've had to graduate a year later, and...I didn't want to be
behind. I used to care about stuff like that..."

John felt Dave sigh against him. "Well, look. Now we're together, and
we can deal with it and not hide from it."

"John, I don't know if I can," he said, his voice so wretched it broke
John's heart. "I'm...John, I'm scared."

"I know."

"I don't even know where to start."

"Don't worry. We'll figure it out...together," he assured Dave. "But
right now, let's start by getting that hand checked out."

"No!" Dave exclaimed, pulling away from John and standing quickly. A
bit too quickly, and he nearly lost his balance from the bout of
dizziness that swept over him. He covered it up by taking a few steps
away, speaking rapidly. "I don't want to go to the hospital. I don't
want anyone to see me this way, I... You can do it, John. You take
care of me, you fix it."

"I...Dave," he said, standing and carefully watching his lover's
reactions. "I can't. You need x-rays, sutures..."

"You can do sutures!"

"I can't do x-rays, Dave."

"It's not broken."

"Really," John said, unconvinced, and then held out his hand. "Then
give it to me. Come on. Give me your hand."

Hesitantly, Dave extended his bruised and bloodied hand towards John,
who took it and began pressing on each bone. Dave tried to hide his
pain, but soon couldn't and pulled away, yelping in pain. "Fuck," he
hissed, cradling his hand.

"I thought it didn't hurt."

"I never said it didn't hurt," Dave countered. "I just said it wasn't
broken."

"Dave..."

"All right, all right," he said, conceding with exasperation. "I'll
go, but I won't tell them what happened. What really happened,
anyway."

"I know," John stated.

"You won't either, right??" Dave asked, his expression showing his
panic as his whole body seemed to tense. "You promise, right?? You
won't tell them the truth either, will you?? You won't, right?"

"Dave, easy..." John said, touching his cheek with gentle fingers.
"I'll tell them whatever you want me to. I won't break your confidence
-- *ever*. I promise. Just calm down, sweetheart."

"I...sorry," he said, shaking from the mere thought of everyone find
out his secret. John could almost feel the terror emanating from him.
"I know you won't, I'm sorry, John...I'm just..."

"I know," he stated, reassuringly, before easing out of the embrace.
After a minute, he indicated the bedrooms. "Do you want Abby to come?"

"No..." he said. "She has an early shift, and I think I've bothered
her enough for one night...for one lifetime..."

"I don't think she would mind."

"No, let her sleep," he said, and suddenly seemed disgusted. "She has
enough going on in her own life without dealing with my shit."

"Dave..."

"Could you write her a note?" he asked, quickly. "So she doesn't
worry."

"Okay."

Silently, Dave watched John scribble something down on paper,
wondering how much this had changed their relationship. For the
better, he hoped. Maybe they would get past this, and then they'd be
better for it. And maybe he would be a better person...a better
doctor. So then this whole night wouldn't have been in vain. When he
glanced at the clock, he saw that it was nearly sunrise. God...only
two hours ago John had come home. How could he have told John all of
that in such little time?

Once John was finished, Dave got up from his chair, and suddenly felt
dizzy again, probably from blood loss. Sure, it hadn't been much, but

that coupled with the stress of the evening was getting to him.
"Shit..."

"What's wrong?" John asked, before seeing Dave nearly collapsing.
Quickly, he reached out and grabbed his arm, wrapping his other arm
around his waist. "Hey! Dave! What's wrong? Are you okay?? Are you
dizzy again??"

Again? Dave thought. So he *had* noticed the first time, when they'd
finished talking in the living room. Such a perceptible lover he
had... "I'm just a little dizzy...and *really* tired. God, John," he
whispered, leaning his forehead against John's shoulder. "I feel so
tired...I feel so old and so tired..."

"I know," John said, as Dave looked up into his eyes. Was he really
going to be okay? John wondered. And as he started toward the door,
John reached out and touched his arm to stop him. "Dave...uh...wait
just a second..."

"Why?" he asked, the apprehension clear in his eyes. "What is it?"

Softly, John said: "I just...wanted to say..."

"What?" Dave asked, alarmed, when John trailed off. "Are
you...changing your mind? I mean...you don't...I don't know. You can't
handle it, or you don't - "

"No, Dave! God, no ...I just..." Nervously, John looked down and
shifted his weight from one leg to another, one of Dave's traits that
he managed to adopt after spending so much time with him. "I just
wanted to say... how proud I am...of you..."

"John..."

"Just...listen to me. Please?" he asked, cutting him off. He looked
away, briefly, before turning back to Dave, who was surprised to see
tears in the older man's eyes. "I am so incredibly sorry that you have
to live like that...*through* that. I don't think I'd ever be able to
survive what you have. You are so strong. I know you don't think you
are, but, Dave...after everything that's happened, and you're so
smart, funny, compassionate, and successful...I would never have been
able to do it, Dave. Never."

"That's not true," his lover said, looking away. And John was about to
say that he was almost sure he'd never have lived through it, until
Dave spoke again. "I'm weak, John...I *couldn't* live through it,
that's why I tried to...kill myself. I'm weak, John...just like my old
man said...shit, just like him. Remember?" he asked, quietly. "I'm my
father's son."

"Dave..." he said, his brow knotted with compassion. "That's not true,
and you know it. You are nothing like your father. You are sweet, and
loving, and compassionate. You could never -- *would* never - hurt
anyone deliberately. Your father was a cruel and evil man, and he
wouldn't hesitate to do that...but you would. Because you are
*nothing* like him. You are not your father's son. And if I ever hear
you ever say that again I'll be very angry with you. I would never be
with someone like that, so if you won't believe anything believe that.
Do you understand me?" And when he didn't get an answer. "Well?"

He let out a shaky sigh. "Yes."

"Then say it," John demanded. "Say you are nothing like your father.
Say you are not your father's son."

"Since when are you a motivational speaker?" Dave asked. He was trying
to be sarcastic, but it wasn't working; he was too busy trying not to
cry.

"Dave..."

"I am nothing like my father," he said, his voice cracking. "I am not
my father's son. Happy?"

"You didn't say it for me." Dave simply looked away, but John
continued speaking. "You know, Dave...you're stronger than anyone I've
ever met. You survived everything, even if you *did* try to kill
yourself. You survived, and you still managed to graduate from high
school on time. You went to college, and even when you didn't get into
the medical schools you wanted to, you did a brave thing by going all
the way to Grenada. And you did all that alone...without money or
family influence. And you became a doctor - a *good* doctor, what you
always wanted to be. All because you're strong, Dave. It amazes me how
strong and determined you are. But you know what amazes me the most?"

"What?"

"How much of an amazing and caring man you are," he said, softly. "You
could've grown up to be this cruel and evil person like your father,
but instead...you care about your patients, your coworkers, and your
friends and family, and...me. You're loyal and loving...the way you
stand by Abby and me...the way you love us...it's absolutely amazing.
The way you've just...turned my life around, it's - " He broke off,
his voice cracking as his composure threatened to break as well.
"Dave, I am in love for the first time in my life, and it's the most
wonderful feeling I've ever experienced. Every time I look at you,
every time I hear your voice or just smell your beautiful scent, I can
feel it. Every time you walk into a room, or lie in bed next to me, or
make love to me...I can feel it, Dave. And I...I want you to know that
nothing's changed that. Nothing that's happened tonight, and if
anything...I'm even more amazed by you. I'm in awe of you, Dave. And I
want to thank you, for trusting me and...and for loving me. Because I
know I don't deserve it."

"You really mean all of those things?" Dave asked, looking away,
abashed by his own emotion. Hastily, he wiped away his tears with the
palm of his hand, but they were only replaced with fresh ones. "You're
not just saying it to make me feel better?"

"Every word is true."

Briefly, he looked away for a moment, before abruptly leaning up and
kissing John on the lips. The warmth and absolute love behind it spoke
volumes, which Dave was glad for, because this was one of those rare
moments in his life when he was speechless.

"Come on," John said, once it ended. "Let's get you to the hospital."

--------------------------------

Innocent...

--------------------------------

Kerry Weaver pulled the thread taught, before sweeping the needle
through flesh and repeating the process, knotting as she went along.
Usually, she didn't concern herself with suturing, left that to the
residents who needed the practice. However, in the early hours of the
morning, the patient name had caught her attention and her concern.
And now, instead of a resident suturing a patient, she was suturing a
resident, who was a patient himself.

She glanced up at Dave Malucci, who had remained quiet throughout the
entire procedure, x-ray and everything. John had brought him in,
explaining that he and Dave had been in a bar/restaurant where another
patron had picked a fight with the Italian doctor for "no reason."
During the scuffle, Dave had accidentally punched a window,
effectively cutting his hand on the glass and probably breaking it.
Something had seemed a little off about the story, but she'd kept her
mouth shut, hoping that if she got Dave alone she could inquire more
and decide whether or not this was something she should get involved
in. She knew the first few months into recovery were very emotional
and very challenging, and she wasn't going to risk almost losing Dave
again.

"I'm going to have to start charging you rent," she said, hoping to
get some sort of response from him.

"Huh?"

"You keep coming in here," she stated, smiling sardonically. "Any more
times, and I'm going to have to start charging you rent."

"Oh. Yeah," he said, and cracked a small smile, though she could see
it clearly didn't reach his eyes. She was somewhat glad when he went
on, though. "I pay enough at my apartment. And now I have to replace a
window."

"At your apartment?" she asked, puzzled. "I thought - "

"At the bar," he interrupted quickly, too quickly, but she let it
slide - for now. "They're probably going to overcharge me, too. Now'd
be a good time to ask for a raise, huh?"

She smiled wryly at him, appreciating his humor, before he glanced off
again and got lost in his thoughts. She was almost finished with the
laceration on the palm of his hand when she noticed a faint scar on
his wrist. Too curious not to ask, she blurted out: "What happened?"

"I told you," Dave stated, and she glanced up, confused. "I
accidentally punched a window."

"No. I mean here," she said, and then reached out with a gloved finger
to trace his scar. He flinched so violently it caused her to pull the
suture right out, effectively cutting his skin. "I'm sorry, I didn't
mean to startle you."

"No, no, that's...okay," he replied quietly, but did not speak any
further, leaving her question unanswered, perhaps forever. She let it
go, knowing it was probably none of her business anyway. She heard him
take in a sharp breath, and was about to apologize for hurting him
when she realized he was crying. He seemed to realize it too, and
flushed with embarrassment as he furiously wiped away his tears. "I'm
sorry. I'm sorry, I'm just...fucked up. I think I'm drunk."

"Dave, we both know that isn't true," she stated, not only because he
didn't appear inebriated in the slightest, but also because he wasn't
stupid. "You wouldn't jeopardize your recovery like that. And if you
did you wouldn't come here. Would you?" He shook his head, trying to
hide his face from her by looking away. "Dave, are you okay?" He shook
his head again, before reconsidering and nodding. "Do you want to talk
about it?" Another shake of his head. "Are you sure?"

He met her eye, and for an instant his eyes told her everything and
nothing all at the same time. Then, just as suddenly, the moment was
gone as he looked away, the sound of the door opening scaring him back
into his shell. Annoyed, Kerry glanced up to see John enter the room,
holding an envelope in one hand and an x-ray film in the other.

"John, can you please give us a minute?" she asked.

"What?" He seemed genuinely puzzled. "I just got back with the films."

"I know," she said. "But just give us a minute."

"Is something wrong?"

"John, please."

"It's okay, he can stay," Dave interjected, his voice quavering and
giving away more than he'd intended it to. He just didn't want to be
alone in the room with Dr. Weaver anymore, afraid he'd say something
he'd later regret. Here he was already crying like a baby, and
hopefully with John here he'd be forced to keep up the façade and calm
down. With as much cheer as he could muster - which really wasn't much
at all - he asked: "How's it look?"

"Broken," he replied, much to Dave's dismay. He stuck the films into
the light box, turning it on and showing the two doctors. "Not your
hand though, only your ring and little finger, so you won't need a
cast. But you'll need splints."

"Shit," Dave hissed, just as Weaver turned his hand to start suturing
a cut across his knuckles. "I'm stuck with scutwork now, aren't I?"

"Next time try watching what you hit," Dr. Weaver warned.

John was suddenly leaning over his shoulder, his face very close to
Dave's as he watched Dr. Weaver working. "If you try a horizontal
mattress it'll scar less."

"This way is least likely to get infected," she stated
matter-of-factly, not glancing up from her work. "Flawless skin won't
matter when he has to get his fingers removed."

"Oh, come on," the Chief Resident said, incredulous. "The chances of
it getting infected - "

"John," Dave jutted in, his voice laced with exasperation. Kerry
glanced up, curious at the fact that Dave had used his first name
instead of his last, like she'd always heard him do. She was surprised
at what she saw: they were looking into each other's eyes, John's
displaying his pure concern and Dave's showing his desperation. But it
was more than that...it was...it was like the hand that John softly
brushed against Dave's neck, but condensed into a gaze. Both the
gesture and the stare surprised her, and she suddenly felt like a
peeping tom. Something was definitely going on, but did she have a
right to interpret it?

"Sorry," John said softly, stepping back, pulling his hand away from
Dave's skin. He cleared his throat, as Dave turned back to his
sutures. "Uh...I'm going to wait outside."

"You can stay if you want," Dave stated. "The Chief's almost done
anyway, right?"

"Yes," she replied hesitantly, still slightly puzzled. "I just need to
get you those splints and then we'll be done. You can get those, John,
from the supply closet."

Quickly, John left the room, closing the door behind him as he stepped
into the hall. As he walked, he ducked away from a few gossiping
nurses, hearing all about Dave throwing some guy in a bar through a
window. Shaking his head, he made his way into the supply closet,
sighing as he half-heartedly searched the shelves. He hadn't really
meant to touch Dave like that, especially in front of Kerry, and he
was surprised he'd displayed such an affectionate gesture in public
without thinking. But he'd been so focused on Dave he'd almost
forgotten their boss was in the room.

God...what was he going to do? He couldn't help Dave, didn't even know
how, really. He supposed he'd have to talk with Dave's psychiatrist
about this. He was still seeing her about his addiction, and although
her specialty was substance abuse, perhaps she could help with this,
or maybe give Dave a referral. Perhaps John could even tell her -
vaguely - what had just happened in hopes that it would help her.
Although, after their last conversation, when John had expressed his
concern over Dave's mental stability, from what she said about their
sessions together Dave wasn't forthcoming about much. At least if John
told her, then she could bring it up. But, knowing Dave, this would
probably piss him off, and he might stop seeing her altogether once he
was aware she knew.

Another sigh later, and John was making his way back into the exam
room, splints in hand. Soon, Dave's broken fingers were bandaged up,
the young resident examining them with distaste. This was really going
to put a damper in his shift, which, as he glanced at the clock, was
at noon. It was already six o'clock. By the time Dave had finished
talking to John and the latter had managed to convince him to come to
the hospital to get his hand checked out, it'd been very early in the
morning. X-rays and sutures had taken up the rest of the time, along
with a wait for Dr. Weaver to be finished with her last patient. Now,
hours later, they were finally on their way out.

"Dr. Malucci," Weaver said to him, as she walked them to the ambulance
bay entrance. "Don't bother coming in today. You won't be able to get
anything done, you can't even suture with those fingers."

"Chief..." he began to protest. "I can come in. I can do other cases."

"If you come in," she threatened, "you're fired."

"Then I guess I'm staying home."

"John," she said then, stopping in her walk with them at the door.
"Can I speak with you privately, please?"

John caught Dave's eye, who was looking at him with apprehension.
Tonight, Dave had finally trusted him with his deepest secrets, and no
way was John going to betray that trust now. He nodded reassuringly at
the younger man, saying: "I'll meet you at the car, okay?" Hesitantly,
Dave turned and continued walking through the ambulance bay doors, and
John glanced at Kerry expectantly. "What is it, Dr. Weaver?"

"John..." she started, her eyes showing her confusion and worry. She
sighed deeply, leaning on her cane more heavily than usual as one of
her hands ran nervously through her hair. "Look...I...I don't know
what happened tonight. I know what you said, but let's just say I
don't believe you. It seems as if...I don't know what it seems. I just
know that it might not be my business, but I'm...concerned. If you
need anything...if *Dave* needs anything...you know where to each me."

"Thanks, Kerry," he responded, trying to smile as reassuringly as he
could, but he knew he was failing miserably. Even *he* didn't know if
Dave was going to be okay, and he knew exactly what had gone on only a
few hours ago. But, she seemed satisfied with his reply, and she
nodded before turning and moving into the Lounge.

The ride home had been just as silent as the ride there, and when they
got into the apartment Abby was getting ready to leave for her
scheduled shift. She seemed to feel awkward for a moment, not knowing
what to do at first, before she approached the two men, who were
taking off their coats at the door. She glanced at Dave with pure
concern, asking him how he felt.

"Hungover," he replied, and it was true. He felt like he'd just woken
up with a killer migraine, a stomachache, and stiff muscles, as if
he'd been out partying the night before. He could only wish that were
the case. Tiredly, he rubbed his eyes, sighing. "I'll just sleep it
off."

"Okay," she said, and then suddenly hugged him. It surprised him, but
somehow it was...nice. Reassuring. He hugged her back, silently
thanking her. There was something unique about a hug from a best
friend, something that could always manage to cheer you up, even if it
was just a little bit. She leaned out of the embrace then, grabbing
her coat off the rack along with her purse. "I'll see you guys after
my shift. Uh...bye."

"Hey, Abby?" Dave asked, before she left.

"Yeah?"

"We told them...at the ER, that I got into a fight in a bar," he
stated, his eyes cast to the floor. "You won't...you know..."

She walked over to him, gently leaning up to kiss him on the mouth.
"Don't worry, Dave," she said, hugging him once more, this time
tightly. "Your secret is safe with me, I promise."

"Thanks."

"You bet."

After she left, John followed Dave down the hall and into the bedroom,
watching him carefully, trying to gauge how he was feeling. He could
really only imagine the pain that his lover must be going through, the
pure hurt that must've been carried with him throughout his entire
life. Briefly, he wished that Dave's father was still alive so he
could use some influence to make his life a living Hell, and suddenly
he wondered exactly how the man died. He wasn't about to ask, but it
was something to store for future conversation.

He undressed as Dave did, until both were only clad in their boxers
and undershirts. They were equally exhausted, wanting nothing more
than to crawl into bed, but when Dave moved under the covers John
hesitated, standing there until Dave noticed, his expression showing
his puzzlement.

"Are you going to lay down?" he asked.

"I...I didn't know if..." He sighed, unsure of how exactly to express
himself. "I didn't know if you'd want some...space."

Dave glanced at the empty space next to him, before looking up at
John. "I want you here."

"Okay," John said quietly, before moving under the covers. He kept his
distance, however, unsure of how much he was really wanted. He got his
answer when the young man moved close to him, resting against his
chest, listening to his heartbeat. Assured, John wrapped his arms
around Dave, holding him close, never wanting to sleep anywhere else
but with him in this bed. Dave was safe now, and John was going to
keep him that way, no matter what it took.

"John?" the other man asked hesitantly. He shifted, so that he was on
his stomach and looking into John's eyes. "I...I want you to know
that...what I said before...about...about loving you? I meant it. I
love you, John...I love you more than anything I've ever loved in my
entire life, and it's..."

"Scary?" he offered, when Dave trailed off.

"Wonderful," he clarified, and then smiled softly, a smile that
reached his eyes and touched John's heart. Gently, he leaned down and
kissed John's lips, but soon his kiss was more fervent, more
passionate, as his hands roamed and his fingers explored. John allowed
him to do it, but didn't reciprocate much more than the kiss, unsure
of how to act because he didn't know how Dave would *re*act,
especially after last night. But the younger man pulled back, his eyes
desperate and pleading, expressing a sort of urgency that John had
never seen before. "Help me forget. Please? Just...just help me forget
everything. Everything except...you. Please?"

"Are you sure, Dave?"

"Please, John. Make me forget..."

Silently, he nodded, capturing Dave's lips in a kiss as he ran his
hands up Dave's beater, his fingers running over the toned muscles and
marred skin. And Dave did the same, tracing up John's chest before
pushing his shirt up and away, the older man sitting up slightly to
allow him to get it off completely. Dave sat up, straddling John's
thighs as he removed his own shirt, and for a moment, he paused,
glancing down at his bare chest as his fingers traced feather-light
over his scars. He glanced up into John's eyes, his own expressing his
absolute anguish, but soon something else flashed over them, a mix
between anger and determination, and he leaned down to kiss John
again, hard and feverishly.

Their underwear were soon on the floor, and then covers were pushed
aside by their movements. With dark eyes Dave watched John prepare
himself, and then he was positioned before him, John's legs wrapped
tightly around him as he entered him, guiding him and urging him
forward. And Dave moved with him, agonizingly slow, his arms
supporting his weight as he kept John's gaze.

"Oh, God..." Dave whispered, as he closed his eyes. "God, John...I
love you...I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you..."

He picked up the pace then, the words turning into unintelligible
moans as he thrust harder and faster, his brow furrowed, sweat
glistening over his body. He was leaning close to John now, his lips
touching his ear as he breathed raggedly and unevenly. "God...God..."
he whispered, breathing harder now, until he was near
hyperventilation, and John felt his body tense against him, knew he
was going to come soon. And he held onto Dave tight, allowing himself
to be used for comfort like this, knowing Dave needed it right now.

Sharply, Dave breathed, and John was suddenly aware of the fact that
he was barely able to contain his composure. He was leaning back
slightly now, not much but enough for John to be able to see his face,
and he could see the hurt there, and also anger at the fact that he
couldn't control his own emotions. He met John's eye, and quickly
regained his resolve, thrusting hard, a little too hard but John
didn't mind. This wasn't about him right now.

Faster, faster than what seemed humanly possible, and Dave thrust one
final time, holding his position and moaning inarticulately as he
came. Once his body was no longer tense, he collapsed atop of John,
his head buried in the crook of John's neck, but his breathing only
became more erratic as he began to cry.

"Shhhh..." John soothed, smoothing Dave's hair back with one hand as
he rubbed comforting circles on his back with the other. "You're okay,
Dave...you'll be okay, I promise. You'll be okay...it's okay, Dave,
it's okay..."

"I wish I could believe you, John," Dave said. "I really wish I could,
but I can't...I'm so fucked up, I'm so...I'm so sorry, John, I'm so
sorry. I've hurt so many people, and I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry..."

"It's okay, Dave," John said, holding tightly and rocking him
soothingly. "It's okay, Dave, I promise...you're going to be okay. I
promise, Dave, I promise... Maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow,
but someday, Dave, I promise...I promise..."

But whom was he really trying to convince? he wondered, as he
continued to hold Dave and comfort him, until the younger man cried
himself to sleep. And John fell asleep soon too, wondering how in hell
he was going to fix this, wondering if he could. And promising that he
would do everything in his power to try.

--------------------------------

We were innocent

--------------------------------

To be continued..
Chapter Nineteen - Subject Change by The She Devil
---------------------------------
Chapter Nineteen: Subject Change
---------------------------------

My stupid mouth
Has got me in trouble
I said too much again
To a date over dinner yesterday

-------------------------------

They were moving into each other's personal space. It started with
Dave pretending to yawn, stretching and resting his arm on the part of
the couch conveniently located behind John's back. John had rolled his
eyes, although the smile he wore on his face showed his amusement, and
pretty soon he was resting in the crook of Dave's arm. Dave nuzzled
his cheek against John's, who reciprocated by trailing his hand across
Dave's thigh, his fingers tracing near-invisible lines over the denim.
Eyes met. Lips met. And soon they were engaged in a pretty heavy
make-out session.

"Would you two cut it out?" Abby asked from her spot on the armchair
near the couch. She sighed as the two men didn't appear to have heard
her - or perhaps just flat-out ignored her. Briefly, she glanced at
them, turning away from George Clooney and Matt Damon blowing up a
safe containing a ninety-five pound Chinese man and a hundred and
sixty million dollars. Dave must've been really horny, she thought
with a sardonic grin, for him to turn down George Clooney. Suddenly
one of the men moaned, though she couldn't tell whom. "Okay, guys. Get
a room."

They were still ignoring her, and someone had leaned against the
remote because suddenly the screen was displaying Matthew McConaughey
desperately trying to devise a plan to save his submarine. And, as
much as she was enjoying watching their little romp on the couch, she
had to put a stop to this before it was too late and she saw more than
even *she* wanted to see.

"I'm moving out."

It worked just like she'd thought it would. Immediately, the two men
pulled away from each other, turning to her with surprised
expressions. Except for a flash of a moment, she could've sworn she
saw something else in John's eyes. Exasperation? Relief? Both? Dave
had told her in secrecy once that John was jealous of their
friendship...but did John really dislike her that much?

Finally, Dave broke the silence with a rather articulate: "Huh?"

She smiled in spite of herself. "I said I'm moving out. Back to my
apartment."

"We didn't mean to ignore you," John stated. "I mean...we did, but..."

"That's not why I'm moving out," she said, chuckling slightly. "It's
just time. I can't keep living here forever."

"Why not?" Dave asked, grinning before turning serious. "Look, Abby,
you can stay as long as you want. You don't have to go just because
you think it's time. It's only been a month since...the...since
that...that asshole attacked you. You should stay here, where it's
safe. Where we can protect you, right, John?"

John nodded. "Sure...yeah. You don't have to go back."

"I called my landlord," Abby said. "Brian moved out, so I can move
back in now. I just need to change the locks, and I'll be okay. It's
just time for me to reclaim my life...things are a mess..."

She trailed off, but Dave didn't allow his attention to do the same.
There was something in her voice that scared him, something he
couldn't put his finger on, but it was the same thing he'd noticed in
her behavior lately. And he suddenly felt terrible...God, how that
bastard had hurt her. Quietly, he asked: "You okay, Abs?"

She nodded, the reassuring smile plastered on her face covering her
inner turmoil. But how was she supposed to tell a barely-stable Dave
that she had been drinking more and more lately? That she had at least
four bottles hiding in her bedroom right now? It was simple: she
couldn't. "I'm fine, Dave, don't worry."

"Are you sure?" Dave asked, the worry apparent in his expression. "You
can still stay here a while."

"We all need to move on, and I can't stay here if I want to do that,"
she said, shaking her head. When she'd started this conversation,
she'd really only intended to grab the men's attention away from each
other so she could watch the movie without distractions, but now she
realized what had to be done. "I'm going to start packing."

"Okay," Dave said, nodding. "Do you want help?"

"No!" she exclaimed, more excitedly than she should have. She could
see both men were clearly startled and somewhat puzzled. "I mean...no.
I can do it." She grinned. "And you two can do it too."

She stood, waving to them with a smile, and Dave and John exchanged
looks and watched her she went into her room, closing the door behind
her. His brow knotted in thought, as he asked: "What do you think she
meant by 'we all' need to move on?"

"I don't know," John admitted, shrugging. "Well...she *is* kind of
holding us back from moving on by continuing to live here, I guess."

"John..."

"Dave...we have things we need to work through, and we can't do it
with Abby here."

"I think she was just making an excuse."

"And why would she do that?" John asked. "You're her best
friend...she'd tell you if something was wrong."

Dave seemed to consider this, before saying, "Can't think. Half of my
blood is still in my penis."

John grinned as his lover began to kiss him senseless again, but then
had a thought and moved away slightly. "You're not...upset that she's
leaving?"

"I guess I'll miss her here," Dave replied. "But she'll visit, and we
can visit her. It's not like she's moving to another state or
anything." He leaned forward and started kissing John again, before
he, himself, had a thought, glancing at his lover with exasperation.
"That's not supposed to mean something, is it?"

"No, no," John responded, shaking his head. "I was just curious."

"Good."

Things got heated again pretty quickly, and soon Dave was laying back
on the couch with John straddling him, rocking their hips against one
another as a promise of things to come. And, before it was *really*
too late, John placed his hands on Dave's chest and gently pushed him
back. "Wait," he said, breathless. "Let's move this to the bedroom
before we scandalize Abby."

"She'd like it," Dave said, grinning, as he grasped John's shirt
collar and pulled him back down to kiss him deeply. John allowed
himself to be kissed, moving his hands from Dave's chest and to his
abdomen, running his fingers up and under his shirt...feeling and
memorizing...teasing and promising...touching and - tickling!! "Okay,
okay!" Dave cried, laughing wildly. "Uncle! I give in! We'll go to the
bedroom!"

Moments later, John's back hit the bed, Dave following suit by
straddling his thighs, neither men's lips leaving one another as they
did so. They were already naked, their clothes hastily strewn about
the room, and John was getting ready to be thoroughly fucked by his
boyfriend, his heart racing at just the thought. It had been a while
since they had made love...since the day Dave had bared his soul and
told him his deepest secrets. John had waited for Dave to make the
first move before they became intimate again, not wanting to push the
young man into doing anything he didn't want to, or anything he felt
he had to. However, for the past few weeks their shifts had been long
and at all different times, deterring them from seeing each other, let
alone getting personal like this. And, now, on this Thursday, a day
that both of them had off, they could fully enjoy exploring each other
once again.

Dave paused in their fervent kissing to reach for the nightstand,
pulling open the draw and rummaging around inside before he found the
lubricant. He twisted off the cap, and was about to squeeze some onto
his fingers when he paused. Glancing up, he met John's eyes, opening
his mouth as if to say something, but then he shut it again, and just
handed the tube to his lover. The last time they had done this, he'd
told John to prepare himself, and he'd done it without hesitance,
knowing it was what Dave had wanted. But he figured it had been a
one-time thing, and now that Dave was asking him to do it again, he
was beginning to get concerned.

Holding the lube, he blurted out before he could stop himself, "You
don't want to touch me anymore?"

"What?" Dave asked, surprised. Immediately, he began to shake his
head. "No, no, it's not that...it's just...I mean...I want you to
touch me."

"Where??"

Dave indicated his hard-on with an exaggerated glance. "Where do you
think?"

"Are you sure?" John asked, his shock still apparent. Dave had
blatantly told him several times before not to touch him anywhere
below his waist, and now asking John to do it was surprising. And John
wanted to make sure it wasn't because Dave felt he had to. "I don't
have to, Dave. I won't leave you, and I certainly won't love you any
less."

"I want you to," Dave stated, though the hesitancy in his voice was
clear. But the desperation in his eyes was clear as well. He wanted to
do this. "Please?"

"Okay," John replied softly, nodding. He squeezed some of the
lubricant onto the palm of his hand, his actions deliberately slow in
case Dave changed his mind. Apprehensively, he reached out, watching
his lover carefully before wrapping his hand around Dave's penis. The
gasp he heard was audible, and he quickly pulled his hand away.

"No, don't stop," he said, pulling John's hand back to where it had
been. "It's just cold, that's all."

"Sorry," John apologized. "It'll warm up soon."

Slowly, he began pumping Dave's erection, coating it with lubricant
like he'd seen Dave do countless times before. He pretended not to
notice how tense the other man was as he did it, but when Dave began
to visibly flinch he stopped. "Do you want me to keep going?" he
asked, unsure.

"Yeah, yeah," Dave said quickly, nodding, but then seemed to
reconsider. He breathed hard for a few moments, before, finally:
"Wait, stop...I...I can't...I'm sorry, I thought I could, but I..."

"It's okay, Dave, it's okay," he said, leaning forward so that he
could pull the other man into his arms and hug him reassuringly. He
was slightly startled when Dave almost instinctively pulled away and
held up his hands in half-surrender and half-defense.

"It's just..." He paused as he tried to compose himself, realized what
he'd just done, and a moment later he leaned forward and wrapped his
arms around John, burying his face in John's shoulder. He didn't like
sharing his feelings, he'd always gotten in trouble for it when he was
a kid, and it was still awkward for him, years later. But they were
always honest with each other now. There was no holding back anymore,
they knew everything about one another, and it was scary and
completely amazing at the same time. And he loved the fact that John
wanted to hear anything he had to say. "It's just that...when you do
that...I think about...*him*...and it - and I don't want to be
thinking about him when I'm with you."

"We're trying, and that's what matters," John said, pushing Dave
gently back so he could look him in the eye. "It's just going to take
a while, that's all. We just have to be patient."

"We?"

Gently, John smiled, the compassion - the *love* - in John's eyes
breathtaking. "We're in this together, aren't we?"

They were in this together. We. We. Dave liked the sound of that, and
he grinned broadly at the thought. "I love you," he said.

John smiled back, leaning forward and kissing him sweetly on the lips.
"I love you too."

--------------------------------

I could see
She was offended
She said, "Well, anyway..."
Just dying for a subject change

--------------------------------

If Dr. Greene not being man enough for Dr. Corday to stick around was
the best the Rumor Mill had to offer at the moment, Dave figured he
might as well just call today an outright *boring* day. He'd been on
shift for about seven hours now, and so far no special traumas had
come in, no exciting cases, and, to make matters worse, Dr. Weaver had
decided to join him on this incoming ambulance he was waiting outside
for.

It wasn't as if she were being mean to him, or in one of her moods. It
was quite the opposite, actually. Ever since he'd come in a few weeks
ago to get his hand stitched up, she'd been all over him, asking him
if he needed help and even being *considerate*. He felt like a med
student again, and it was really starting to grate on his nerves.
Especially since now, instead of thinking he was just incompetent, she
thought he was crazy as well. Maybe incompetent *and* crazy. And the
more he thought about it, the more it irked him.

At least now he could run major cases again; those splints had finally
come off today, and the Chief herself had cleared him for traumas,
although he could see the clear hesitancy in her eyes as she'd said
it. And he had a sneaking suspicion she'd been holding back on taking
the damn things off in the first place. But she had nothing to worry
about. Okay, so crying in front of her might not have been the
smartest move, but he'd been his chipper self since then, so why was
she still following him around?

He knew why. She was, in plain English, worried about him. The Chief,
Festus, the cold-hearted bitch, the Nazi - whatever you wanted to call
her - was worried about *Dr. Dave*. He'd known it the minute she'd
told him she'd fire him if he didn't let her give him a checkup. A
checkup! A whole checkup for a few goddamned hand lacs. She had sprung
this piece of information on him in at Admin, when he'd been searching
for a new case from the rack.

"Dr. Malucci."

"Chief," he'd replied, watching her carefully out of the corner of his
eye.

"What are you doing?"

"Grabbing a case," he replied, leafing through the charts. "The
splints came off today, so no more scut work for me."

"Who took them off?"

"Gallant," he replied hesitantly, not wanting to get the med student
in trouble but knowing Dr. Weaver would slowly pick off the staff one
by one until she knew. "I walked him through the exam. He did pretty
good."

"Really," she almost stated, and he could tell she was pissed. She
grabbed the chart he'd removed from the rack. "I specifically remember
telling you that until *I* cleared you for running cases and traumas,
that you weren't to touch a chart unless I gave it to you."

"My hand is fine, Chief!" he cried, exasperated. "What else do you
want from me?"

"A checkup," she stated, as if it were the most obvious thing in the
world.

"What?" he asked, incredulous. "Why? Come on, Chief..."

"You want to practice medicine here, Dr. Malucci," she snapped,
garnering the attention of a few staff members around them, "then
those are the terms. You don't like them, I'm sure I can find you
another suture case."

He glanced off, embarrassed. She always had to do that, didn't she?
Quietly, he asked, "What's open, Frank?"

"Exam three."

"Dave," she called softly, as he began moving towards the exam room.
He ignored her, but she kept talking anyway. "I just want to make sure
that you're okay. Humor me. Please?"

"Do I have a choice?" he asked, rather calmly. "Your way or the
highway, remember?"

She sighed as he sat down silently, and he considered bitterly that
she could've at least been subtler about it, *and* about the way she
interrogated him during the exam as if he'd committed murder. Without
any pretense she hit him with the first question:

"How are your sessions going?" she'd asked. He flinched away as she
shone her penlight into his eyes. "Would you stop? You're like a
little kid."

"Well, I just don't think this whole thing is necessary," he stated,
rather exasperatedly.

"Which is why I don't let you run the place," she retorted, and he
rolled his eyes. "Now, how are your sessions going?"

"Fine, I guess," he replied rather hesitantly. She cocked a brow,
letting him know that wasn't the answer she was looking for. "They're
going good. I was late once though, and they gave me detention."

She smirked, although she tried to compress it, and he could still see
the amusement in her eyes even as she tried to lecture him. "This
isn't punishment, Dave. It's meant to help you, but it can't unless
you let it. Lift up your shirt."

"What?" he asked, alarmed. He glanced at her. "Chief, this is stupid.
You don't need to check my heart or lungs, I'm alive and I'm
breathing, so obviously both are okay."

"I just changed my mind," she said, and he glanced at her puzzlingly.
"*That* is why I don't let you run the place."

"Come on, Chief," he pleaded. If she saw those scars, he didn't know
what she'd do or say. Or how she'd treat him afterwards. "Please? I'm
fine. Humor *me*."

"Fine," she said, and then grabbed his wrist, at least adamant about
taking his pulse. She glanced at her watch as she did it, keeping
track of the seconds and beats. He watched her carefully, saw her eyes
studying the faint scars on his wrist, and was thankful when she
refrained from commenting again. She must've learned her lesson since
the last time. Almost off-handedly, she asked: "Do you have a
sponsor?"

"Dr. Lewis offered to be my sponsor, and give me really good
evaluations at work too," Dave stated. "But in return I have to give
her sex when she wants it. It's not too bad, considering..."

It was her turn now: "Dave..."

"Yes, I have a sponsor," he sighed. Jeeze, couldn't she take a joke?
"His name's Josh, and I met him at the meetings."

"Do you like him?"

"Yeah," Dave replied hesitantly. "He's okay, I guess."

"Are you working the steps?"

"Not yet, but soon."

"Good," she stated, as she began to carefully look over his hand. "How
long has he been clean?"

"Ten years."

"And how many meetings are you going to a week?"

"I try to go to one every day," he lied, rather easily. "Sometimes
with work it's tough, but usually it's one a day. I go with a friend
of mine...I was thinking about asking her to be my sponsor."

"You know how they feel about men and women having the opposite sex as
their sponsor," she reminded him, and he fought the urge to roll his
eyes. "Why change and start all that controversy when you have Josh?"

"He's moving to L.A.," he stated. "Besides, my friend and I are
strictly friends. I'm already involved with someone."

"Right," she replied, and he could tell her mind had drifted right to
Abby. "Still, I think you of all people should stick with a male
sponsor...just think about it." The statement stung, but he let it go,
just like he did every other time. She let go of his hand to stand
before him and looked him in the eye. "How have you been feeling?"

"Fine," he replied, looking away. "I told you I didn't need that
'checkup.'"

"That's not what I'm asking and you know it."

"Why do you suddenly care?" he asked defensively. "You couldn't have
given a shit about me before, and now suddenly you're my mother.
Why??"

She hesitated, and he scoffed. Quickly, she said: "It's my job."

"Wrong answer," he stated. And, even as he was getting off of the exam
table: "Are we finished?"

"Dr. Malucci!"

He paused, but didn't turn. He didn't want to see the concern in her
eyes, and he certainly didn't want her to see the hurt in his. Ever
since he'd arrived at County he'd longed for her approval and
acceptance, but now that he had it he couldn't help to think it was
for one reason. "I think the answer you're looking for, Dr. Weaver, is
'guilt,'" he stated, not wanting and definitely not needing her pity.
He waited for her to say something more, but she didn't, so he simply
left the room without another word.

---

Oh, it's another social casualty
Score one for me

How could I forget?
Mama said, "Think before speaking..."
No filter in my head
Oh, what's a boy to do?
I guess he'd better find one soon

---

Later that afternoon, as he stood outside of the ER bay doors waiting
for an oncoming ambulance to arrive, he stole a glance at her,
wondering why exactly she was there. They hadn't exchanged words or
even glances as she'd joined him, but he knew she had to be up to
something.

"You're the one who spent the night at an old boyfriend's house!" He
looked up to see John approaching with Susan Lewis, both just heading
in to start their night shifts. Briefly, he wondered if his boyfriend
was referring to Dr. Greene; he'd heard, in fact, that the two of them
had had a thing a long time ago. And now with Dr. Corday out of the
way...

"He's not my old boyfriend!" Susan then replied incredulously, pausing
in her walk to stare John right in the eyes. "He's like an older
brother. And I don't want to sleep with him."

"Well, I don't want to sleep with Abby," John stated blatantly,
causing Dave to toss him a surprised glance, a hint of a smile on his
lips. Surely Susan had brought something like that up.

"Dave!" she suddenly exclaimed, startling him. "Sorry, I didn't know
you were there...we were just..."

"That's okay," he said, unable to hold back his grin. Months later,
and everyone still thought he was seeing Abby. He supposed it was only
natural - they got along great and were nearly constantly together.
John was always with them, of course, but no one even considered they
could be together. He glanced again at his lover. Secret lover.

He really hated thinking about that, because it got him in a sour mood
pretty quickly. They'd been dating for months, had been serious for
months, and John still got paranoid about someone finding out. What
did that mean? That John was ashamed of him? If he wasn't, if he just
wasn't ready, then how much longer would it take until he was? Maybe
John didn't think they were going to last. Maybe *that* was why. If
they weren't going to last, then why bother?

Okay. He *really* had to stop thinking about this. Thankfully,
familiar sirens broke him out of his reverie, drawing his attention to
the upcoming case. Hopefully it'd be an exciting one.

"Susan, John," Dr. Weaver called, as they tried to enter the ER. She
indicated the approaching ambulance. "Can you assist Dr. Malucci with
this case?"

"I can handle it, Chief," Dave cut in, holding out his hands as if to
ask what the hell she was doing. "I've done a thousand cases by myself
before."

"It's your first day back on traumas," she reminded him, and he rolled
his eyes. "You might be a little rusty. Dr. Carter and Lewis will just
assist, you can run it."

"Thanks for your permission," he muttered, but she was already moving
hastily back inside the ER. He sighed as he approached the ambulance
that had been his until merely seconds ago. "I swear, one of these
days..."

"I'm not even on for another ten minutes," Susan whined, before
turning to the paramedic. "Tell me this is an easy one."

Luckily for Susan - and unfortunately for Dave - the trauma *was* an
easy one: a dominatrix and her client, both hardly injured but both
very creepy. Within minutes the patients had been wheeled out,
stabilized and ready for Radiology. Then General Medicine would get
them, and it wouldn't go farther than that. What a waste, Dave thought
bitterly. One of them could've at least had some tricky, rare disease
like Eosinophilic Fasciitis, or Angioimmunoblastic with
Dysproteinemia, or...

"Hey..." he suddenly said, spotting something in the corner of the
trauma room he hadn't noticed before. Quickly, he maneuvered through
the team - Susan, Abby, John, Luka and Michael Gallant - to get to it.
"What's this?"

"I think it's hers," John stated, glancing at the huge black bag Dave
hefted into the air.

"Who?" Susan asked, and then put on a thick, horrible accent: "The
Mistress of Pain?"

"What's she got in this thing?" Dave asked rhetorically, dropping it
onto a nearby tray table. "It weighs, like, five hundred pounds."

"I don't want to know," Luka stated, stripping off his gloves.

Dave looked up at him with a naughty smile Luka remembered all too
well. "I do."

"I'm surprised you even noticed that bag there," Susan quipped. "The
only thing you could practically look at while she was in the room
were her breasts!"

"Not true," Dave responded, although his broad grin suggested that it
was, indeed, very true. Hey, he was taken, not dead. Suddenly, John
tried to take the bag from him. "Wait, what are you doing?"

"Come on, give it up," he replied, grabbing the bag, and Dave wondered
if it was payback for his earlier ogling. "I'll take it to her."

"We just want to take a quick peek," Abby countered, glancing at Luka
for support, but the Attending only held up his hands in surrender. He
was going to have no part of this. "You guys are so boring! Dave's the
only one who knows how to live a little."

"Hey, you need me anymore, Dr. Carter?" Michael piped up, not
particularly liking the direction this scene was heading in.

But before anyone could answer, Dave unzipped the bag with a flourish,
his curiosity too great to just let John return the bag to its owner
without taking a little peek inside. Immediately, his lover stepped
back, looking surprised and somewhat annoyed. But Dave ignored the
withering glance, stepping forward and leaning over to look inside the
bag.

"Wow," he murmured, gaping. He'd had his fair share of toys during sex
with previous partners, but even *he* didn't recognize some of the
things in this bag.

"My God," Susan giggled from his left.

"No one could actually use that," Abby stated, indicating one of the
items in the bag. She looked up at Dave. "Could they?"

"What is *that*?" Susan asked, diverting their attention to another
toy. "Is that a...?"

"Yeah, I think so," Abby replied, raising her eyebrows.

"What?" Luka asked, finally giving in to temptation as he leaned over
the bag and looked inside. His eyes widened as a smile crept across
his face. "Whoa..."

"Come on, guys," John jutted in, reaching for the bag. But even he
couldn't resist taking a glimpse. "Oh, God."

"No kidding," Susan deadpanned.

"What's this?" Abby asked, daring to reach inside the bag. "What's
this for?"

"No, don't touch that!" Dave exclaimed, but it was too late. The girls
shrieked and everyone backed up in surprise as a blowup doll, well,
blew up, inflating right before their eyes to lay spread-eagle on the
bag.

"That's disgusting," Abby commented as Dave began to snicker. She
threw him an accusatory glance. "Ew! You're disgusting!"

"Oh, come on!" Dave said, indicating the doll. "Just because I think
it's funny doesn't mean I've used one!"

"Yeah, right," she teased with a chuckle. She picked up the doll,
chucking it at an unsuspecting Michael. Poor kid had really had no
idea what he'd gotten himself into when applying at this hospital.
"Oh, look at this..." she continued, rummaging through the bag.

Dave followed suit, extracting a purple dildo and holding it up,
turning the vibrator on. His smile broadened at the thought of using
one of these on John, who was currently being chased around the room
by Susan in a strapped mask. With a sigh, he rolled his eyes. She was
*still* obviously pursuing him romantically, and it was a little
annoying. Not that it was really her fault...no one knew that John was
taken.

Before he could slip back down into that trail of thought, he turned
back to the dildo, about to put it down before he caught Luka's eye.
For a minute, he could swear something flashed across them, but it was
too quick for Dave to interpret. But he knew he didn't want to dwell
on it, so he quickly smiled and tossed the toy to the other man, who
caught it hastily with an equally as mischievous grin.

"So what do you think, guys?" Abby asked, and Dave turned to see her
wearing a chained necklace and holding a crop. "Should I quit my day
job?"

"Oh, definitely," Dave replied, before turning and bending over
slightly. "Hit me, please," he faux-whined.

"Someone's been a bad boy," she said with a pout, gently hitting him
with the crop.

"What the hell is going on in here?!"

"Dr. Weaver!" Dave almost shouted in surprise as he sprang up,
blushing profusely. Almost immediately, silence fell over the room as
the coworkers desperately tried not to look guilty. Abby put the crop
to her side, trying to hide it behind her leg; Luka quickly thrust the
dildo behind his back and out of sight; Susan and John stopped in
their tracks; and, finally, Michael let go of the blowup doll, whose
face landed right before his crotch. He kicked it aside fast, as Dave
broke the deafening silence with a cough and a lame: "We were just..."

"Getting yourselves into deep trouble?" she suggested, her ears red
with anger.

"Uh...yeah," he replied, nodding as he began rubbing the nape of his
neck. "That just about sums it up."

--------------------------------

We bit our lips
She looked out the window
Rolling tiny balls of napkin paper
I played a quick game of chess
With a salt and pepper shaker

--------------------------------

SEXUAL HARASSMENT: "Awareness, Prevention, & Intervention"

After completing this program, you will understand:

1. The definition of sexual harassment
2. The hospital's policy on sexual harassment
3. The components of the hospital's sexual harassment prevention
program
4. How to respect the needs and rights of all people in the workplace
5. How to avoid behaving in ways that might be interpreted as -

"This is so fucking bogus," Dave seethed from his place at the kitchen
table in Abby's apartment, crumpling up the brochure and tossing it
into the garbage. He picked up his coffee and took a sip, wrapping the
thin red blanket he was using as a makeshift robe tighter around
himself. It was early Saturday morning, and he would've been sleeping
in had it not been for this stupid sexual harassment seminar. It was
like high school detention all over again.

"It's your fault," Abby announced from across the table, where she was
eating the scrambled eggs he had made that morning for breakfast.

"You looked in it too!"

"You unzipped it!" she retorted, raising her eyebrows. They broke into
grins, and Dave was about to make a flippant comment when the doorbell
rang. His best friend glanced at him with apprehension. "Could you get
that? I'm going to change."

"Sure, it's probably John," he stated. Ever since moving back in to
her place last night, a week or so after announcing it at his
apartment, she'd been on edge, the slightest sound prompting her to
have him check it out. Once, as a joke, he'd pretended something had
happened and screamed, effectively startling her - *and* effectively
causing her to almost pummel him into the wall, letting him know with
a few colorful words that he wasn't funny.

"I swear to God, I'm going to kill you, Dave," she'd muttered, sitting
back down on the couch and grabbing another slice of pizza. "You're
not funny at all."

"So you've said," he replied, gently rubbing the bruise she'd left on
his arm. "Ow..."

She glanced at him guiltily. "I'm sorry."

"Are you sure you're ready to be back here?" he asked, ignoring her
apology.

"I *need* to be here, Dave," she stated. "I need to get on with my
life."

"Why do you need to get on with it here?" he asked, indicating the
apartment. "This place is a dump anyway."

"Thanks, Dave."

"No, I'm serious," he said, sitting up. "You could look for a new
apartment, I'll help. And you can stay with me and John until you find
one, we don't mind."

"*You* might not mind, but John sure does," she replied, putting her
legs up on the couch and stuffing her cold toes under Dave's thigh.
And, to his exasperated expression: "Dave, he practically did
*cartwheels* when I said I was leaving. And, truthfully, I don't blame
him. You two have a lot to work through, you don't need me getting in
the way. I understand completely."

"I don't," he said, annoyed. "Did he say something? Because if he did
- "

"No!" she exclaimed, holding up a hand and waving off his concern.
"John's been great, Dave, he really has. Now let me watch TV, you know
how much I love Rob Lowe." After about a half hour into the show, she
nudged him with her feet, and he glanced up at her. "They just made a
crack about Grenada, and you didn't even blink."

"Sorry, you know I don't really get into this show."

"What's wrong?" she asked, sitting up with concern. She could sense
his hesitation. "You know you can tell me anything."

"Will you be my sponsor?" he blurted out.

"What?" she asked, obviously surprised. "You have a sponsor."

"I know, but Josh is moving to L.A., and I need a new one," he stated,
almost desperately. "And I want it to be you."

"You know NA frowns on opposite sex sponsors," she replied, frowning
herself. "Besides...it didn't work out so well when I was John's
sponsor. I think you should find someone else."

"Come on, Abby," he pleaded. "Please? You don't know how hard it was
for me to ask some stranger to be my sponsor. I'm never going to be
able to do it again. Please, Abby? You're the perfect sponsor, you're
sober and strict and easy to talk to, you already know everything
about me, and you're really cute."

She grinned in spite of herself. "Okay, okay...just don't expect too
much from me, Dave. I'm far from perfect."

"Thanks, Abby," he said, grinning as well. He leaned over her legs to
give her a hug, before playfully mussing her hair as he pulled away.
"This'll be great, you'll see." She glanced off instead of replying.
"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said, too quickly for his liking. "I'm just tired. I'm
going to go to bed. Let me get you some blankets and pillows."

He watched her move around the apartment, grabbing him the promised
blankets and pillows, checking the locks, using the bathroom, checking
the locks again. He said some flippant comment at one point or
another, but she brushed it off with a withering glance, causing him
to promptly shut up. Soon, he was asleep, his cat purring contently
next to his head (because he refused to leave the furface all alone at
his apartment), but the next thing he knew he was being jolted awake
by a sharp sound, sitting up and ready to spring into action.

"It's me," he heard, and squinted his eyes in the darkness to see Abby
sitting on the coffee table in front of the couch. "I couldn't sleep.
I was just making some tea, want some?"

"Uh...sure," he replied, the adrenaline quickly fading so that he came
crashing back down into exhaustion. It'd taken him several tries to
get to sleep on this couch, especially since his senses were in
overdrive - Abby's own worry had been *extremely* contagious. "What
time is it?"

"Two am," she replied as he sat up, wrapping the blanket around
himself in an attempt to stay warm. "I'm sorry I woke you. I was
trying to check on you and I tripped."

"That's okay," he said, sitting down at the kitchen table. In silence,
they'd had their teas, Dave barely touching his since he wasn't much
of a tea person. He'd never really liked the stuff, he thought, as he
dumped his down the drain. "You ready to go back to bed?"

"I guess," she replied, hesitantly. Briefly he wondered if she'd had a
nightmare, but he didn't ask. "Listen, um...never mind."

"What is it?" he asked. "You know you can tell me anything."

A smile formed on her lips at the familiar words. "I just don't feel
like...being alone. I mean...would it be...weird if we...slept
together."

"Nope," he replied with a wink. She rolled her eyes. "I'm just
kidding, Abby, I'm kidding. It won't be weird. Not even if we get
naked, and..."

"Dave."

"Kidding!" They'd stayed on their separate sides of the bed, and Dave
had managed to doze until a small shriek woke him, startling him
effectively. "Abby, what's wrong? What is it??"

"Nothing, it's nothing," she'd replied, but he could see in the
moonlight creeping in that she was sitting up, holding herself. "It
was nothing."

"Abby, you're talking to *me* here," he'd said then, knowing the
several nights she'd *had* to have heard him wake up from a nightmare
back at his apartment. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," she stated quickly, almost harshly. "I don't. I just want to go
back to sleep. Okay??"

"Okay," he said, and watched her lay back down, silent for a few
moments until he could hear her crying softly. Gently, he reached out
and touched her back, and almost immediately she turned and moved into
his arms. He hadn't been expecting it, wasn't really used to
comforting people like this (it was, after all, one of the reasons why
he became an ER doctor), but he held her and stroked the back of her
head, doing as well as he knew how to make his friend feel better.
"It's okay, Abby. You don't have to worry, you're safe now. I'll never
let anything happen to you, I promise, I swear to God."

In the darkness, he felt her go still, go silent, and briefly he
wondered if she'd fallen asleep until
he felt her lips brushing against his. He pulled back, startled. "I'm
sorry," she said, moving away from him. "I'm sorry, Dave, I didn't
meant to - I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm sorry."

"No, no, it's okay, Abby," he said, remembering the several times he'd
woken from a nightmare and had ended up having sex with John. It was
comforting to do something so wonderful and so...*normal* after being
scared to death. Suddenly, he realized how he must've made John feel
since they started sleeping together, but he pushed his guilt aside
and made room for the task at hand. "Abby, it's okay."

"God, I'm so sorry. Please don't be mad at me," she sobbed. "I'm such
a mess."

"Hey, you can't be *that* much of a mess if you think I'm sexy." It
seemed to have been the wrong thing to say, since she began to cry
harder. "I'm sorry. Abby, please don't cry. I don't know what to do."

"Just..." Quietly, she moved back into his arms, and he held her
tightly as he had before, until she was so exhausted she cried herself
to sleep. "Shit," he muttered, to no one. "I'm so sorry, Abby. I'm so
sorry..."

--------------------------------

And I could see clearly
An indelible line was drawn
Between what was good
What just slipped out
And what went wrong

--------------------------------

The doorbell ringing now several times in a row brought him out of his
thoughts and back into the present. "Are you going to get it?" Abby
asked from the hall.

"Yeah, just give me a minute," he said, with mock exasperation as he
made his way to the door. He swung it open quickly to see his lover
standing there, bundled up in a scarf and hat to ward off the cold
winter weather. Grinning broadly, he said: "Hey there, stranger. How
was work?"

"Hey, yourself," John replied with an equally as broad grin. "And it
was pretty slow." He stepped into the apartment, noting Dave's apparel
- or lack thereof, for that matter. "Did you...spend the night here?"

"Yeah," Dave replied, closing the door and locking it firmly. "By the
time we were finished moving everything back in it was pretty late,
and I could tell she didn't really want to spend her first night here
alone, so..."

"You slept on the couch?" John almost stated, but when he glanced at
it, it seemed as if it hadn't even been *sat* on, let alone slept on.
And when he turned back to his lover, Dave's eyes were cast to the
floor, one hand at the nape of his neck, scratching nervously. John
leaned in close, whispering so that Abby wouldn't hear. "You slept in
her bed?? Fuck! Dave..."

"And then we had rampant sex for the rest of the night," he retorted,
exasperated. "Come on, John. Let up. You know I'd never cheat on you,
and I'm insulted you even consider it."

"I thought my jealousy was sexy?" John asked, angry. "Who wouldn't be
jealous of their own boyfriend sleeping with someone else?"

"I didn't sleep with her!" Dave exclaimed, perhaps a little louder
than he should have. Quickly, he quieted. "I didn't sleep with her. We
slept in the same bed but nothing happened. We're friends, John, you
know that! And your 'jealousy' might be sexy, but it's really annoying
too, especially when I'm not doing anything even remotely suspicious
to make you think - "

"You don't think that sleeping half naked with someone else is
suspicious?"

"It's Abby!"

"Fine!" John snapped. "Tonight I'm going to spend the night at
Susan's!"

"That's different!"

"How?"

"Because Susan is interested in you romantically, and this is Abby
we're talking about!"

"I don't care if we're talking about Dr. Weaver!" John snapped. "You
spent the night at a woman's house."

"You knew I was bisexual when we started," Dave retorted. "So I can't
spend the night at *anyone's* house without you accusing me of
cheating on you? Thanks for the good faith. Abby and I are just
friends, and unless you have some *real* reason to be suspicious, then
I suggest you - "

Before Dave could finish his sentence Abby emerged from the other
room. "Dave??" she called from the bedroom before stepping out into
the hall, wearing nothing but a small towel that didn't nearly cover
enough skin. "Did you see what I did with that black bra after I took
it off last night? Oh, hi, John."

"Hey, Abby." John smiled thinly, before turning to Dave, whose face
was the same red color as the sheet wrapped around him. "What were you
saying?"

--------------------------------

Oh, the way she feels about me has changed
Thanks for playing, try again

How could I forget?
Mama said, "Think before speaking..."
No filter in my head
Oh, what's a boy to do?
I guess he'd better find one soon

--------------------------------

"This is going to be a very long day."

Now, Dave Malucci didn't agree on much with a certain Dr. Susan Lewis,
but at that moment he could swear that no truer words had ever escaped
her lips. John was not only upset with him (for a very stupid reason,
by the way), but had decided to take it out on everyone else and sulk,
making this classroom almost unbearable as they waited for their late
teacher. So far, Dave had taken everything in stride, but he swore if
one more crass remark left John's mouth he was going to really give
him a piece of his mind.

The most annoying thing to Dave, however, was the reason *why* John
was upset with him. So he'd spent the night at Abby's apartment, big
deal. For the past *month* she'd been living with them, and she and
Dave had been alone several nights when John worked the night shift.
What was the difference now? Did John really trust Dave that little?
Sure, they'd slept together in her bed, but it'd been more reminiscent
of a slumber part with Miranda as compared to one with Steven. And
while it might just have been John's possessive side showing, it was a
little overbearing and no longer "sexy" at this point.

"He's a test pilot for Barcalounger," broke him away from his
thoughts, catching his interest. He glanced up at Susan curiously.
"Basically, he sits on his ass all day in front of the TV trying to
get his cholesterol level above four hundred."

The room burst into laughter, although Dave remained slightly confused
before he heard Gallant ask Luka: "What does your father do, Dr.
Kovac?"

"My father's a painter," he replied. "Not houses. Art. Abstracts
mostly. He's good."

"Really?" John asked, just as intrigued as everyone in the room.

"Not that he's ever made a living at it," Luka admitted then. "He's a
train conductor in Zagreb, so that pays the bills."

"I didn't know that," Dave said, turning to look at Luka since the
older man was seated in a desk behind him and to his right. Luka just
shrugged, shooting him a rather impish grin, and Dave smiled too. He
barely registered Gallant piping up. "Huh?"

"I asked you what your father does for a living."

"Uh..." Dave stammered for a moment, surprised by the statement.
Finally, he managed to get out: "He's dead."

There was an awkward silence, until Michael broke it with a quiet:
"Sorry to hear that,"

"Don't be," Dave blurted out before he could stop himself. Hastily, he
added: "I mean, you know...I'm over it. What did you say your father
did?"

"He's an Army man, like me," he replied, rather proudly. "What about
you, Abby?"

"I have absolutely no idea what my father's doing," she stated,
somewhat smiling, as if it were almost incredulous she'd know
otherwise.

"And you, Dr. Carter?"

The man in question shifted in his seat. Once, Dave and he had had a
conversation about just how rich he was, but the older man had told
him he honestly didn't know. "Guess," Dave had urged, but even then he
played innocent. He had to at least give John props for being modest,
even if he wasn't modestly wealthy. Which they soon discovered - it
seemed as if his boyfriend was richer than God.

"How'd you manage to last this long without some girl marrying you?"
Abby teased, smiling.

John laughed, almost humorlessly. He was obviously, at least to Dave,
pretty uncomfortable with the topic. "My Gamma installed a gold-digger
alarm in all of us at birth."

"No one's set it off yet?" Dave asked jokingly, knowing John could
read the subtext -- *he* hadn't set it off yet? "You'd better have
that thing checked."

"You know, growing up in a mansion doesn't equal a perfect life," John
retorted, obviously missing Dave's teasing manor.

"Why?" Susan asked. "Gamma too cheap to heat the pool?"

"Money isn't everything, Susan," he retorted.

"That's easy for you to say," she stated. "You *had* it."

"Why do you assume that just because he grew up rich he was happy?"
Dave jutted in, slightly annoyed. "Not to say that he *wasn't*, but
that's a huge typecast. As a doctor, you should know better."

"Thanks, Mom," she muttered, rolling her eyes. "I'm just saying, money
makes things *easier*."

"Not when..." Dave began, but the door to the classroom opened,
revealing a professionally dressed woman looking rather frazzled. He
considered that she must've been having a hard day, when she said: "Is
this the sexual harassment group?"

He was the first to pipe up, grinning as he glanced at everyone before
turning back to the woman. "Yep...just us sexual harassers. Can we do
something for you?"

She seemed almost startled by his response, as if they might sexually
harass *her*. "Uh...no...I thought I'd let you know that Dr. Taylor
has run into some car trouble, but he should be here soon." And then,
she left, almost as abruptly as she'd arrived.

"Great," John said under his breath, leaning back in his seat. He was
sick and tired of sitting in this classroom with his coworkers and
medical student, wanting to be anywhere but here. He just wished he
could curl up in bed with Dave, but even if they left that was
unlikely. He was still a little more than annoyed with the younger man
for pulling that stunt with Abby. Really, what was he thinking? That
he could just share a bed with anyone? John wasn't going around
sleeping next to Susan, or Dr. Weaver, or even Abby. And he was sure
if he did, Dave wouldn't take it that well either. Which was why he
didn't understand Dave's own annoyance...couldn't he put himself in
John's shoes?

Restless, he stood, stepping down to the main floor and coming across
a door. He was too curious not to open it (besides the fact that he
was more bored than he ever remembered being his entire life), but
when he tried the knob he discovered it was locked. Swiftly, he fished
inside his wallet and pulled out a credit card.

"What're you doing?" he heard Dave ask from behind him.

"This worked in college when I locked myself out of my dorm," he
replied, slipping it between the door and the jamb, preparing to jimmy
it open.

"How?" Dave asked. "To pay a locksmith?"

"You're very funny, Dave," John muttered.

"Seriously, John," he cautioned. "I don't think that you should open
that."

"Gee, where have I heard that before?" he wondered, his words from
earlier in the week coming back to him, when he'd specifically told
the other man not to open the bag of toys.

"Stop being such an asshole," Dave snapped. "You could've left the
room. No one forced you to stay. So stop trying to blame everybody
else for your own problem."

"Oh, *I'm* an asshole?" John asked, turning to look at him, and Dave
smirked haughtily at knowing John ignored the topic. "Stop smirking,
you arrogant jerk."

"What??" Dave retorted, ready to stand.

"Guys!" Abby piped up, causing them both to stop. "Enough. This place
is already unbearable without you two arguing."

John rolled his eyes, ignoring Abby as he continued to try to get the
door open. He concentrated hard, trying to get that damn lock open if
only to prove that he could. Besides, a conversation about "Waiting
for Godot" wasn't exactly his cup of tea. But his ears picked up on
what Luka was now saying, as if he wrote the play, John thought
sarcastically. "It's about the futility of life. We're all waiting for
- what? Fulfillment, love, validation, approval. It's a waste of time.
Life is an empty, hollow exercise filled with pain, loss and grief,
and the only thing we can expect to achieve in our lives is our own
inevitable death."

"You forgot taxes." That, from Dave, and John could hear the grin in
his voice.

"Wow," Susan said then. "That is the most depressing thing I've ever
heard."

"Aren't you glad you didn't grow up in the Balkans?" John couldn't
help but ask, his voice edged with sarcasm and exasperation.

"Croatia is beautiful," Luka stated rather calmly, heightening John's
annoyance. "Zagreb, Dubrovnik - you should go."

"Yeah, kind of a high chance of getting blown up, though," John
snapped, before he could stop himself. "Always discourages me from
adding a country to my travel itinerary."

"It's very safe now," Luka stated, and John was satisfied to hear an
edge in his voice.

"Then why are you here??"

Silence, and John, with his back still to the others, smirked. But it
disappeared as soon as he heard Dave's voice, also edged. "What makes
you think he left because of the war? Why don't you stop pissing on
everyone today, okay, John??"

He turned, glancing sharply at Dave, wanting to yell but knowing he
couldn't. The other man just rolled his eyes, as if John was the one
acting incredulous. Was he the one who spent the night at a woman's
house? Was he the one acting a little too friendly with Luka?? Was he
the one -

"Barbecue," Luka suddenly said, smiling. "I left because of barbecue.
You just can't find good ribs in Zagreb, you know?"

John agreed, just then, that Susan had been *very* right. Today *was*
going to be an *extremely* long day...

--------------------------------

I'm never speaking up again
It only hurts me
I'd rather be a mystery
Than she desert me

Oh, I'm never speaking again
Starting now

--------------------------------

Sword fighting in the middle of a goddamned classroom. Who'd heard of
a thing so ridiculous? Obviously John and Luka had, who were standing
at the front of the room trying to kill each other with their epees,
striking each other as if it didn't matter they had on no protection
whatsoever. John had found the equipment in the closet he'd managed to
break into with a penknife supplied by Michael, and almost immediately
the two men couldn't help challenge each other to a swordfight.
Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.

"You think they're trying to impress us?" Susan asked, watching the
men.

Abby smirked, leaning close to Dave as she whispered into his ear: "If
you ask me, I think they're trying to impress *you*."

"If they are, it's not working," Dave whispered back to her. And he
knew he should be flattered, but he was too busy worrying that someone
was going to get seriously injured. With a nervous hand covering his
mouth, he stated, "This can't end well. And at the very least it's
going to leave a mark."

As if on cue, John nearly speared Luka in the chest, and the Croatian
doctor stepped back with a hiss.

"Ouch!" Susan exclaimed, grimacing herself. "Doesn't that hurt?" But
her words went ignored as John took off his sweatshirt and Luka rolled
up his sleeves. She shrugged. "I guess not..."

"They really are a couple of freaks," Abby lamented with a smirk.

"And to think you slept with both of them!" Susan said, chuckling.
Dave, who was seated between the two women, raised his eyebrows,
glancing at Abby. "Uh oh," Susan went on. "Sorry, Dave...you didn't
know?"

"Susan," Dave said, his voice almost laced with exasperation. "Abby
and I...we aren't seeing each other."

"You broke up??"

"No," Abby clarified. "We were *never* seeing each other. Somebody
started the rumor, and it was just easier to go with it...you know
once they start there's no stopping them."

"Oh...wow," Susan stated, leaning back in her chair. "I mean...it
*looked* like you two were together. You guys are just friends?"

"Friends with 'benefits,'" Dave piped up, an impish grin on his face.
Abby smacked him on his arm, and he chuckled as he ducked away from
her. "I'm just kidding! I'm kidding, we've never slept with each
other."

"I never slept with Carter either," Abby said quickly. "Did he tell
you that?"

"I thought you two had dated," Susan said, her words curling into a
question. "At least that's what I *heard*, but I'm not too sure what
to believe anymore."

"No," Abby said, smiling almost incredulously at the implication as
she shook her head. "That was a rumor Carter started."

"Oh, God, he is low!" Susan exclaimed quietly, chuckling softly. She
suddenly glanced at them, asking, "Is he seeing anyone??"

Dave cocked a brow, glancing at her curiously. "Why? You interested?"
He figured he might as well be blunt...it wasn't as if she would infer
anything from it except mere curiosity.

"I don't know..." Susan said, but the blush in her cheeks told them
otherwise. "I mean...he used to have a crush on me when he was in
medical school, and...I think I used to have crush on him too."

"Used to?" Dave asked, glancing at her and meeting her eye.

She opened her mouth to reply when a sudden yelp was heard, and they
all quickly turned to see John grasping his arm and gritting his
teeth. Next, Luka could be heard, saying with the smallest hint of a
smile: "Are you okay? If you're hurt, we should stop."

"I'm fine," John stated haughtily, and there were mutual eye rolls
amongst the audience at the two men's ridiculous behavior. Once more,
they began to parry, but this time with a new intensity that
definitely *wasn't* going to end well. And then everything was a
flurry of motion: John striking Luka in the back, Luka bringing up his
epee to lash out at John's, Luka striking John in the face and drawing
blood, a shriek from the women and a gasp from the men as Luka turned
and John charged at him, fists swinging before he even reached the
other man. Next thing they new, both men were on the floor, wrestling
and fighting each other with all they had.

"Hey!!" Dave yelled, as he ran to the two flailing doctors, hooking
his arms under John's and pulling him off of Luka. "Stop it! Both of
you stop!!"

"You maniac!" Luka yelled, before muttering in Croatian. "Mali seronja
je popizdijia!"

"You went for my face!!" John spat, resisting Dave's attempts to get
him away from Luka.

"After you hacked at me!" Luka retorted, getting off of the floor with
Abby's assistance. She brought him to one side of the room as Dave
dragged his boyfriend to another, roughly sitting him down in a chair.

"Crazy bastard," John seethed, glaring at him while Dave pulled a desk
close to his so he could examine the cut on his face. "He could've
killed me!" Dave rolled his eyes, choosing not to comment as he
carefully wiped away blood with a tissue Susan handed him before she
moved over to Luka and Abby. "Will I need stitches?"

"You barely need a Band-Aid," Dave replied, his voice laced with
exasperation. He followed John's line of sight, saying, "I can have
Dr. Lewis come and check you out, if you prefer."

"What?" John asked, annoyed. "What's that supposed to mean? You know
that man is a menace. I could've lost my eye."

Dave sat back in his chair, sighing as he glanced at Luka. The other
man met his eye, glared, and then turned away, speaking to the women.
Dave furrowed his brow immediately...they'd just been getting along so
well, what happened? Was it because he'd chosen to help John and not
Luka? John was, after all, Dave's boyfriend, a fact that Luka knew.
And, lately, Dave had thought that Luka was finally dealing with that,
and that they were finally becoming friends. He sat on that question
for a while, until the group's conversation began to pique his
interest once more.

"Luka, how old were you when you became a man?" Dave glanced up from
the magazine he was reading, surprised by the question that had flown
out of the blue from Abby's mouth. He glanced at Luka, who was equally
as baffled.

"When you lost your virginity," Susan piped up, turning in her seat to
look at him. "How old were you?"

"We're playing a game to see who lost their virginity first," Abby
stated, grinning. "Susan picked you."

"I did not!" Susan exclaiming, laughing. "So when did you lose your
virginity??"

"I'm not playing," Luka quickly said, flushing as he leaned back in
his seat.

"Okay, I'll go first," Abby declared. "I was sixteen, and his name was
Howie Thomas. I was terrified, so was he - it was the longest twenty
seconds of my life!"

"Twenty seconds, huh?" Dave asked, grinning broadly.

"If you count foreplay. What about you?"

"I was thirteen," he stated, stealing a glance at John, who was
watching curiously. "She was seventeen...her name was Melissa, but I
can't remember her last name." He glanced off. "Or was it Stephanie?
We did it in the back of her car. Maybe it was Melissa..."

Abby rolled her eyes good-naturedly, before Susan began speaking: "I
was fifteen. His name was Lloyd Walker, and we did it in the shed
behind my father's radiator-repair shop. What about you, Michael?"

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, although he was smiling. "Give
it up!" Dave said, grinning broadly. Teasingly, he exclaimed, "Oh, my
God, he's still a virgin!"

"I was fourteen," he stated then. "It was...on the balcony of my
church, after choir practice."

"Wow..." Abby said, just as Dave let out a low whistle. "That's
impressive! What about you, Carter?"

"No, I'm not falling for this one," he stated, holding up his hands in
mock-defense.

"Come on, Carter," Dave urged, his eyebrows raised. "Let's hear it."

The other man hesitated only briefly before rolling his eyes, glancing
off as he replied: "I was eleven."

"Eleven??" Abby gaped, just as equally surprised as everyone else in
the room. "Who with??"

"One of the maids," he said reluctantly. "She was twenty-five."

"Twenty-*five*??" Dave blurted out, before he could stop himself. "And
you were *eleven*??"

"Hope you gave her a hell of a Christmas bonus," Susan stated,
snickering. Dave glanced at her, almost incredulous that she could
joke about something like that, but when he looked back to John, the
other man was actually smiling. He wasn't sure what to make of
it...all he knew was that a twenty-five-year-old having sex with an
eleven-year-old was *wrong*...except John didn't look
too...traumatized. Why hadn't he told Dave about that? Dave had told
him absolutely everything, and he meant *everything*. And John
couldn't tell him about that? And, by the looks of things, John was
looking pretty guilty, as if he knew exactly what Dave was thinking.

"Eleven," Susan stated, breaking Dave away from his thoughts. "It's
going to be very tough to beat."

"You don't have to say what age you were," Abby said. "Just that you
were older than Carter so we award him with the prize."

"I get a prize?" John asked, grinning.

"Yeah," Susan said.

"What's is it?"

"We can't tell you." That, from Abby.

"Why?"

"Because we haven't thought about it yet," Susan replied, laughing.

"My wedding night." Softly, from Luka, whom everyone immediately
looked to. And, just as softly, he continued, "I lost my virginity on
my wedding night." The room was filled with an awkward silence, until
Luka went on. "It's okay - it's a good memory. I hadn't thought about
that in years...we were very young, and she was religious, so we
waited. We loved each other very much." He grinned, when there was
still silence. "It's okay, it's okay."

Everyone looked at each other, both ashamed of their behavior and awed
at the couple's devotion to each other. And, after several moments of
silence and nodding of heads: "Maybe her name *was* Stephanie," Dave
blurted out quickly, to break the unease. His statement almost seemed
to startle those in the room out of their reverie. He flashed a grin.
"There are entirely too many...you can't expect me to remember *all*
their names, do you?"

And there was only more silence for a fraction of a second until the
entire room broke into laughter.

--------------------------------

One more thing
Why's it my fault?
So maybe I tried too hard
But it's all because of this desire

I just want to be liked
I just want to be funny
Looks like the joke's on me
So call me Captain Backfire

--------------------------------

John Carter made his way down the front steps of the building, Susan
Lewis at his side. They stepped out onto the snow, pausing at the
front of the building before they were to say goodbye to each other.
Plus, as much as he didn't want to, John had to wait for Dave. After
all, he'd driven him here, it wouldn't be right to just make him walk
home, especially in the dark. It couldn't be safe.

"You know, I didn't think I'd like them, but I do," Susan suddenly
admitted, and continued at the confusion in John's expression. "Abby
and Dave. Did you know they aren't even dating??"

John smiled in spite of himself. "Who told you that?"

"Dave," she stated, almost exasperated. "Did you know? You knew!! Way
to leave me in the dark..."

"Sorry," he apologized, surprised at the thrill that ran through him
after hearing that Dave objected to the rumors of he and Abby that
still abounded at the hospital. "You, uh...what do you think about
him?"

"He's surprisingly nice, once you get past all the bullshit," she
replied, grinning. "I can see why you two are best friends. But I
think you might owe him an apology for acting like a jerk to him
today."

"I was acting like a jerk?" John asked, but he knew it was true. She
tossed him a look that told him the same thing. "All right...so maybe
I was - a *little*. But he was a jerk first, you just weren't there
when we were back at Abby's apartment."

She rolled her eyes, chuckling. "You're hopeless."

"What can I say?" he asked with a shrug, grinning. "I'm a guy."

--------------------------------

I'm never speaking up again
It only hurts me
I'd rather be a mystery
Than she desert me

--------------------------------

Dave stretched out his limbs as he got out of his desk, feeling an
awful lot like he'd just had Saturday detention. He could remember the
times he'd gotten into trouble at school (mostly his senior year), and
had to go, sitting in that damn classroom for four hours straight
doing absolutely nothing except work. It at least gave him a chance to
get his homework for the weekend done, while this seminar had had
absolutely no point. Did the Chief honestly think they didn't know how
to act properly in the work place? Okay, so maybe playing with all
those toys hadn't been the brightest idea they'd ever had, but
still...

"Anybody need a ride home?" Luka asked, as he began to move towards
the door. Susan and John had already left together - surprise,
surprise, Dave thought to himself - and now all that remained were
Luka, Abby, Michael and himself.

"I might need one, considering," Dave joked, but the only reply he
received from the other man was as cold shoulder. Abby glanced at him,
but he only shrugged helplessly. Even she, apparently, didn't know
what had just changed.

"I'm on in twenty, I'm just going to walk," Abby stated.

"Me too," Michael chimed in. "I'll walk you there."

"Great," she said, and began to walk out the door. "We'll see you both
later."

Once everyone had said their goodbyes, Luka began to follow the two
out until Dave placed a tentative hand on his arm, saying, "Could we
talk for a minute, Luka?"

"There's nothing to talk about," was the harsh reply he received. "I'm
going home."

"Luka, wait, okay?" Dave pleaded, and was relieved when the other man
complied, no matter how hard his expression was. At least he was going
to listen. "What happened? Why are you mad at me? I finally thought we
were getting along, and now suddenly you hate my guts."

"I do not," he said, brushing him off. "It is nothing like that."

"Then what is it??" Dave asked, his voice slightly raised. "What did I
do to make you hate me so much?? Did I do something at work? Is it
John? Is it because of John??"

"No, I told you, it isn't like that," Luka said, and Dave let out a
sigh of desperation. "Dave, it's complicated."

"Then explain it to me."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because I can't explain it."

"*Try*."

"I..." Luka trailed off, turning slightly to leave, but then he turned
back, staring at Dave for a long minute before grabbing his shoulders
and doing the last thing Dave would have ever expected him to do.

He kissed him.

Brusquely, Dave pushed him away, taking a few steps back and out of
the other man's personal space. "What the hell??"

"*That's* why," he replied, his voice edged with anger. He quickly
closed the space between himself and Dave, placing his hand on the
back of the younger man's neck to hold him there. Startled, Dave
allowed him to do it, allowed himself to be forced to remain there,
meeting Luka's gaze. "It is because you don't remember."

"I don't understand," he stammered.

"When you overdosed, and you went missing," Luka began, "where did you
go? Where do you think you went?"

"I don't remember," he stated, but he wasn't sure if he wanted Luka to
refresh his memory.

"You came to *me*...you came to my apartment," he stated, his face
only inches from Dave's. "It must mean something, Dave. You came to me
because you needed me. You didn't go to Abby, or the hospital, not
even Carter. You came to *me*. You needed me. You *love* me."

"What??" he asked, startled at both the revelation and the fact that
he could love Luka. "Luka, I don't...I love John."

"Then why did you come to my apartment?" he asked, almost desperately.
"Why did you kiss me? Yes, Dave. *You* kissed *me*. And then do you
know what you did?? Do you know what you did after that??"

"I told you I don't remember!"

"You pleasured me, Dave."

"What does that mean, Luka??" he asked, feeling the panic creep up on
him in the back of his mind. "What does that mean!"

"You went down on me, Dave," he clarified, his hand moving to gently
touch the side of Dave's face. "You went down on me. That proves it.
You trust me, and you love me."

"You're a fucking liar," Dave spat, his voice shaking as he brushed
away Luka's hand. "I would never do that. I would *never* do that."

"I would just make something like that up out of thin air?" he
retorted, suddenly angry. He reached out and grabbed the wrist of the
hand Dave had used to brush his away. "You're the liar, Dave. You do
things, and you tell me things, and you lied to me."

"I was overdosing!!" he exclaimed, hearing the desperation in his own
voice. "How was I to know anything that was going on!? I love John,
Luka, not you! That was a mistake, whatever happened was a mistake.
You were a mistake the first time, and you were a mistake the last
time. So shut the fuck up, and keep your mouth fucking closed. Now let
me go, Luka, you're hurting me."

"You're wrong," he stated, pushing Dave away so hard the younger man
nearly lost his balance. "You're the one who does the hurting." The
utter sadness in his voice made Dave glance up, just in time to see
the hurt in his eyes. He opened his mouth to say something, anything,
but the words wouldn't come.

"Is something wrong?" Both men turned to see John standing in the
doorway, looking somewhat confused and slightly anxious. How much had
he heard, Dave wondered in panic, but if he'd heard anything, surely
he'd be more angry and less perplexed. And, when he didn't get a
reply: "Is everything okay??"

"Everything is fine," Luka stated as evenly as he could, though there
was an edge to his tone. "I was just getting ready to leave."

"Dave?" John asked, hesitantly. The younger man glanced at his
boyfriend, nodding, although he wasn't sure why. "Everything's all
right?"

"Yeah...everything's fine," he stated, nodding again, all the while
wondering just what the fuck he was supposed to do now.

--------------------------------

Oh, I'm never speaking up again
I'm never speaking up again
I'm never speaking up again
Starting now

--------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Twenty - What I've Undone by The She Devil
---------------------------------
Chapter Twenty: What I've Undone
---------------------------------

I can't stand to think about

A heart so big it hurts like Hell

Oh, my god, I gave my best

But for three whole years to end like this

-------------------------------

Luka Kovac stood at his bedroom window, watching the hustle and bustle
of people below scurrying to get to work. Breaking the morning
silence, there was a shriek as someone grabbed a woman's purse and ran
off with it, but Luka turned away before she stumbled to the ground in
horror. He glanced at her instead, lying still in his bed...her skin
was smooth, flawless...he was tempted to reach out and touch her, but
he knew he couldn't. He'd never touch her again.

That's the way it was now...he went from one person to another,
searching for *something*. And when he didn't find it, he moved on
without looking back. He hadn't found it last night, needless to say.
Briefly, he wondered if he ever would.

"Luka?" he heard her murmur, as she stirred. He rarely told them his
name, but she was different. She'd already known who he was. "Are you
on today?"

"Yes," he replied flatly. "Soon."

"Okay," she said, rolling over so her back was to him. "I'll lock the
door behind me."

"I'd rather you leave now," he stated evenly, turning away from her
himself. He heard hear shift behind him quickly. "Please."

"Wait..." she said slowly, ready to speak further but he cut her off
sharply.

"I think it would be best if you left now, before I went to work."

"You mean what we did last night...it meant nothing to you??"

"You are a very beautiful woman, but - "

"Save it, Luka," she spat, angry. "And if you're going to 'let me down
easy,' then you could at least have the balls to look at me!" He
turned to face her, saw her startle, as if she hadn't expected he'd
actually do it. "Screw you."

"Chuny - "

"No!" she exclaimed, as she scrambled out of his bed to find her
clothes. "I said save it, and I meant it. God, I can't believe all
this time I thought you were a nice guy. What the hell had I been
thinking?"

He moved into the living room as she dressed, sat down on the couch
and remained there still once she was finished and leaving his
apartment. But, before she did go: "Don't you even have anything to
say for yourself??"

He didn't make a single sound as she sighed before slamming the door
behind herself. He didn't even flinch.

--------------------------------

Do you want to fall apart?

I can't stop if you can't start

Do you want to fall apart?

Well, I could if you can't try to fix what I've undone

'Cause I hate what I've become

--------------------------------

*"Maybe I should take you to the hospital."*

*"No..."*

*"At least let me call Carter."*

*"No! No hospital, no Carter, just...here. I don't want to go anywhere
but here...please, Luka? Let me stay?"*

Touching. Kissing. Someone pushing the other away. Dave pushing Luka
away. No...no...Luka pushing *Dave* away.

*"Dave, we can't. I'm going to call Carter, and you're going to go
home."*

*"No, Luka, please..."*

Was that him protesting? It sounded like his voice, but...he couldn't
remember saying it. It was like he was watching a movie, seeing
someone who looked an awful lot like him say that, but yet...it wasn't
him. Why would he do that? Why would he *want* to do that?

*"I...I need this, I need..."*

That was why? Because he needed it? But why did he need it? Most
importantly, what did he need? And then he knew, in an instant it was
happening, he was kneeling down in front of Luka, pulling down his
pants and putting his mouth all over his cock...just like he used to
do to...to his...

"*Shit!*" Dave was sitting up in bed, sweating and breathing heavily
as he tried to shake the last remnants of his dream. But he could
still see everything in a vivid sharp focus, eyes opened *or* closed.
Quickly, he leaned over to his nightstand and clicked on the light,
plopping down against his pillow once he was finished and deflating
with a sigh that must've started at his small intestines.

So Luka *had* told the truth: he'd cheated on John. He'd finally faced
that fact after dreaming about it for several nights in a row, since
Luka had told him at that lecture two Saturdays ago. It was still hard
to believe...he loved John, had loved him for so fucking long, and
then he went and did something like that. It's like he *wanted* to
ruin his relationship with the other man, and he kicked himself hard
in the ass for being such a bastard. Couldn't he do anything right??

He glanced at his lover, who was sleeping silently beside him. He was
glad that he hadn't awoken him...he could at least let him have his
sleep...John at least deserved that. With another sigh, he clicked off
the light before curling up behind the other man, kissing the back of
his neck with gentle lips.

"I'm so sorry, John," he whispered, feeling his eyes burn. "I'm so
goddamned sorry..."

"Dave??" John shifted on the bed, turning so that he could face Dave,
pull him into his arms. He leaned back briefly, turning on the light
so that he could see him, too. "Dave, what's the matter? Why are you
crying? Did you have a nightmare??"

"I...John, I..." he glanced up into his lover's eyes, saw the pure
concern there as John tried to take care of him in his
barely-awake-still-half-asleep mode. He had to tell him, he just had
to...he couldn't keep this secret from John, they didn't keep things
from each other anymore. But as he looked into the other man's loving
eyes, he knew he couldn't do it. He'd already broken John's heart so
many times before, he couldn't possibly do it again. "Yeah...yeah...it
was just a nightmare."

As his lover held him protectively, comfortingly, he knew this was one
secret he'd have to keep to himself. And he only wished he were
dreaming still, so he could wake up from this nightmare and get back
to his life that had been so perfect only a few weeks ago.

--------------------------------

You know me

Oh, you think you do

You just don't seem to see

I've been waiting all this time to be

Something I can't define

--------------------------------

"Do you even care?" The question was barked, but Luka could care less
as he wrapped his scarf around his neck, getting ready to leave the
hospital for a shift he wasn't even supposed to be on. Despite his
apparent apathy, Abby went on anyway, ready to nail him to the wall.
Let her, he thought bitterly. He probably deserved it one way or
another. "Do you even care that that kid is lying out there as good as
dead??"

He closed his locker and turned slowly to face her, averting his eyes
to the floor before bringing them up to meet hers. She nearly startled
by the emptiness of them, her expression quickly changing to alarm.
His own face scrunched up into disgust, ready to tell her to save the
sympathy and self-righteousness when the Lounge door burst open in a
flutter of energy.

"Yeah, right." Dave's voice, as he entered, always cheery and ready to
crack a crass comment or witty joke. "Kermit was the one who hid my
watch in the trashcan."

"Even *he* knows it's an ugly watch." That from John, his boyfriend,
who was, of course, right by his side. They were always together. How
sickeningly sweet. "Good thing he got you a new one."

"Oh, he did, did he?" Dave asked, grinning. He paused suddenly as he
saw Luka, who was by chance standing directly in front of his locker.
Quickly, he glanced off, unwilling to meet the other man's eyes. "Dr.
Kovac."

So it was Dr. Kovac now? It wasn't as if these two didn't know about
their history. He played along anyway, although there was a sarcastic
edge to his tone. "Dr. Malucci."

"Excuse me," he said then, indicating his locker. Luka stepped aside,
catching the curious glance between John and Abby. God, how tempting
it was to just tell them both what had happened between himself and
Dave, but he kept quiet. It was all too pleasurable to watch Dave
sweat. He deserved it after doing those things and saying those
things, and then calling Luka a liar and a mistake. He could've at
least been civil about it, but of course the smart-mouthed resident
had to get cocky and nasty, just like he always did. God, what had
Luka *seen* in him??

"I'm going home," he announced, mostly to Abby although he didn't look
at her. He simply folded up his gloves and left the Lounge, wishing he
could leave Dave behind just as easily.

--------------------------------

So let's cause a scene

Clap our hands and stomp our feet

Or something...yeah, something

I just gotta get myself over me

--------------------------------

"What was that all about?" John asked, once Luka was gone and out of
earshot. He moved to his locker, glancing at Dave although it was Abby
who replied.

"He misdiagnosed a patient today," she stated, crossing her arms over
her chest as she moved closer to the two men. "He assumed it was the
flu, and the poor kid had leukemia. Now he's going to be in a
vegetative state for the rest of his life."

"We all make mistakes," Dave said, wincing slightly. At least the kid
wasn't dead, although he probably wasn't much better off. And while
knowing an Attending could make a mistake like that made Dave feel a
little better about misdiagnosing that Marfanoid several months ago,
he knew the guilt would never subside. He killed that kid, and that's
all he knew. Did Luka feel the same way now, about that leukemia
patient? Into his locker, he mumbled, "Maybe he's just going through
something right now."

"Like what?" John asked.

"Like I don't know," was the nearly defensive reply he received as the
younger man quickly shut his locker and headed towards the door. "I
have to go."

John sighed, slamming his locker closed and startling Abby, who didn't
hesitate to pipe up. "What was that all about?"

"I have no idea," he replied with a sigh, his expression showing his
clear worry. "He's been like that for the past week and a half.
Just...touchy and closed off, and...I don't know. It's really starting
to worry me, I don't know what's going on with him. One minute he's
fine and the next...he just loses it."

"Do you think..." Abby began, but hesitated to continue. "I mean...do
you think he's using again?"

"I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but..." He trailed
off, shrugging and shaking his head almost desperately. "I can't help
him if he won't talk to me. Could you try to see what's going on with
him? He might talk to you."

She actually blinked in surprise. "You want me to talk to him? Are you
sure you want me, I don't know...butting in?"

"Abby, come on," he said, exasperated. "This isn't about me. Or you.
It's about Dave. Will you talk to him? Please??"

"Yeah, sure," she replied quickly, nodding, and remained in her spot
as he left the Lounge in a huff. "Well, excuse me..." she sighed,
blowing a stray tendril of hair out of her eyes. The truth was, she'd
noticed something...'off' about Dave lately too, but she hadn't wanted
to push anything just in case it wasn't any of her business. Dave and
John still had a lot of things to work out, and perhaps the two of
them doing just that was affecting his behavior. Or...maybe it was
because of something else.

--------------------------------

I could stand to do without

All the people I have left behind

What's the point in going around?

When it's a straight line, baby, a straight line down

--------------------------------

It wasn't until her lunch break that she caught sight of him, sitting
alone in the cafeteria and staring off into space, ignoring his
barely-touched food. She took her yogurt and coffee, sliding into the
seat across from him and pulling him out of his reverie. "Hey, Dave."

"Hey, Abby," he said, smiling, but she could see the disquiet in his
eyes, reflected in the nervous movement of his hands. He always
fidgeted with his hands when something was on his mind. "ER's real
busy today, huh? I'm surprised I got away."

"Yeah, it is," she replied, nodding. "Um...Dave, can I talk to you
about something?"

He looked at her warily for a long while, until a grin tugged at his
lips and he shrugged in that deceptive way he did. "Sure."

"Are you...okay?" she asked, not knowing what else to say. And then,
to his curious glance: "It's just...you've been acting sort of...off
lately."

"Off?"

"Yeah," she stated, nodding. "Off. Just...distant. Detached."

"They mean the same thing."

"Dave, you know what I mean," she said, as she reached across the
table and placed her hand on his forearm. He flinched, and it
surprised her, but she didn't let it deter her from her purpose. If
something was wrong with her best friend, she wanted to know and she
wanted to help. "I haven't really seen you in the last few weeks,
except for work. I mean, I know we haven't hit a meeting together or
worked the steps or anything...you know we can talk to each other
about anything, right? If something's wrong don't be afraid to tell
me."

"It's...nothing," he said, but she could see the desperation in his
eyes. He sighed, leaning back in his seat but keeping his arm in her
grasp. "Look, Abby...I can't - I can't talk about it. I can't explain
it. It's complicated."

"I'm a smart girl," she stated, her own eyes urging him to continue.
"Try to explain it to me."

"I can't," he said, shaking his head and glancing off to stare out the
nearby window. "It's...Abby, I...I did...something."

"You did something."

"Yes," he replied, looking at her once more. "I did something. I
made...a mistake. A really bad mistake. And I can't fix it. And I
don't know what to do."

"Okay..." she began, trying to comprehend just what he was talking
about. He obviously wasn't going to tell her, Dave was never direct
when it came to his own feelings and problems, so she figured she
might as well start guessing. "You aren't...using again, are you?"

"No, no," he quickly replied, shaking his head. "No, it's nothing like
that. But..."

"But??"

"I...I can't." There were those words again, but before she could even
ask why not he was in motion, jerking his arm away from her and
standing hastily. "I'm sorry, I have to go."

"Dave, wait," she said, standing herself. "Dave!"

"Leave me alone, Abby!" was the only reply she received before he was
out of her sight. She sighed, sitting back down heavily in her chair,
what little appetite she'd had gone. God, what she wouldn't do for a
beer...

"He ain't worth it, honey." Haleh, sitting at a nearby table with
Chuny and Yosh. Oh, great, she thought. Just what she needed right
now. "We always thought you were too good for him."

"Right," she snapped, standing once more and grabbing her things.
"Except what do you know??"

-------------------------------

So let's make a list of who we need

And it's not much if anything

Let's make a list of who we need

And we'll throw it away

'Cause we don't need anyone

No, we don't need anyone

-------------------------------

Within the next hour, breaking news of Dave and Abby's breakup had
spread like wildfire throughout the hospital. Witnesses had said he'd
dumped her without looking back. After all, she *could* be a bit of a
bitch sometimes. And they were always together, making her obviously
clingy. But some had decided that maybe *she'd* dumped *him*. He
must've cheated on her. Or maybe she came to her senses. Whatever the
reason, it was the hottest topic of the Rumor Mill, and John wasn't
about to pass up the chance to tease his boyfriend about it.

He found Dave in a supply closet, searching the shelves hastily for
something or other. Casually, he leaned in the doorway, crossing his
arms over his chest. "So it's over?"

Dave jarred in surprise, so much so that he knocked his hand against
one of the shelves. He shook out the pain as he looked at John.
"What??"

"Word around the hospital," he said, stepping into the room with a
grin, "is that you and Abby broke up."

"Oh," Dave said with realization, before busying himself with the
shelves again. "I've heard too."

"Is it true?" John asked, smirking. "You two made a really cute
couple, you know."

"Yeah," Dave said, smiling slightly. "I don't know where they got that
idea from. That we broke up, I mean."

"Supposedly," John continued, his eyes watching Dave's fidgeting
hands, "you two had a big fight in the cafeteria."

"*Shit!*" Dave hissed, knocking his fingers against something else.
"Damn it, there it is. I just needed a fucking catheter."

"Is something wrong?" John asked, stepping closer to Dave so their
conversation wouldn't be overheard. "You've been acting - "

"Let me guess," he interrupted wryly, turning to look John in the eye.
"Off?"

"Yeah," John agreed, nodding. "Off. For the past week, too. Is
something wrong??"

"No, nothing's wrong," Dave replied, too quickly for John's liking,
but he barely had a chance to retaliate because the younger man was
nearly pushing him aside in an attempt to get out of the room. "I'm
fine, I'm just tired, it's been a long week."

"Dave..."

"We'll have dinner tonight, okay?" Dave asked, almost desperately, as
he turned to look at John. "Just the two of us, we'll order in.
Chinese or something." John was about to remind him that Dave would be
eating alone since John was pulling a double shift, but Dave wasn't
waiting around for a reply. He was already moving, right out the door
when he knocked right into an oncoming person. "Sorry, I - Luka."

"Dave," the other man said, not moving from his spot as Dave took a
hasty step backwards. His eyes rose to meet John's, and briefly the
Chief Resident wondered just how much of the conversation he'd heard.
Would he offer a comment, the same he'd been dishing out for the past
week? Obviously not, however - he didn't say anything now at all.

"I, uh, I thought you were here this morning," Dave stammered, his
eyes studying the disorganized shelves, his hands playing with the
wrapping on the catheter. "I mean, uh, are you on again?"

"I was covering someone else's shift," he stated, stepping further
into the room - causing Dave to take another step back. "Now is my
own. I needed a suture kit."

"Good luck finding one," Dave said, indicating his catheter. "It took
me - "

"Hello, Carter." John looked to Luka, surprised by the sudden
interruption and supposed non-sequitor. The older man was watching him
almost carefully, but John could swear he saw contempt in his eyes.
"How are you?"

"I'm fine," he replied, nodding slightly, ever aware of Dave nearby,
moving and fidgeting and watching. "And yourself? You looked a little
under the weather this morning."

"That is one way to word...what do you call it?" he asked. "A
bend-over?"

"A hangover," Dave interjected, the first to make the connection.
"It's called a hangover."

"Right, right," Luka said, his eyes meeting Dave's. "What was I
thinking, bending over?"

Dave's staggering was immediate - and obvious. He was rendered
speechless for a few moments, before he glanced between the two men.
"I have to go. Excuse me. Actually, John, could you, uh, help me? With
my patient? He's sort of hard to handle."

"Sure..." John replied somewhat hesitantly. What the hell was going on
that he didn't know about? He knew he'd walked in on something between
the two men after the seminar that Saturday, but every time he'd asked
Dave about it, the other man had brushed it off. After getting replies
that got more and more defensive, he'd finally stopped asking. But it
still worried him, especially after this awkward interaction. Was Luka
threatening Dave? Was he trying to get Dave back? While Luka's
terseness suggested the former, the latter worried John more. Yes,
Dave loved him, but what if...no, no, he had to give Dave at least the
benefit of the doubt.

"Great, thanks, John," Dave said, snapping the man out of his
thoughts. "He's right over here. Excuse us, Luka."

"Of course," the Croatian doctor replied, stepping out of the way and
allowing John and Dave to leave. Almost quickly, Dave led John into an
exam room, where a little girl was sitting on the bed, accompanied by
her mother. John paused in the doorway, his brow furrowed.

"I thought you said it was a male?" he asked, looking from the girl to
Dave.

"What?"

"You said, 'He's sort of hard to handle,'" John reiterated, his voice
as rigid as his posture. "You said the patient was a male. And hard to
handle, this...can I see you privately for a minute?"

"I - I have to do this," was the hesitant reply he received. "Can we
talk later?"

"No," he said firmly. "We're talking now. In the hall, Dr. Malucci."

"John - "

"Dave."

"Is something wrong, doctor?" Dave glanced at the patient's mother,
the worry apparent in her expression and tone of voice. "Is everything
okay??"

"Yeah, everything's fine," he said, placing the Foley down on an
instrument tray before heading towards the door. "Just excuse me for a
second."

"Dave, what is going on??" John asked in a low voice, once they were
in the hallway and out of anyone's earshot.

"Nothing's going on."

"I'm supposed to believe that??" John asked. "I'm supposed to believe
that after you've been acting strange all week, after that
conversation we just had with Luka??"

"Is that what this is about?" he asked, hands on his waist. "First
Abby, now Luka?? You can't let anything go, can you?"

"Oh, please," John sighed, incredulous. He took a step closer to Dave,
ready to shout, accuse, something - *anything*, when Dave took two
steps back. It startled John for an instant, rendered him speechless.
Dave hadn't done that during an argument in a very long time, not
since telling him about his father... "Dave...what is going on with
you?"

"I told you," he replied, half-exasperatedly, half-desperately.
"Nothing. *Nothing* is going on. So let me do my job, okay?? God, I
get enough of this from the Chief."

"She's been asking about you?" John suddenly asked, his worry
heightening. "Dr. Weaver's been asking about you??"

"That's not what I said!" Dave exclaimed, too fast for John's liking.
"Stop twisting my words, I don't have time for this. I have work to
do, so let me do it. Please, John?"

"Fine," he said quietly, giving in and stepping back. "Go back to your
patient. But we're going to talk about this later, Dave."

"Yes, Mom," he retorted, rolling his eyes, before going back inside
the exam room and closing the door behind him. A clear testament of
the fact that he wanted to be left alone, but that's exactly what was
scaring John: how closed off his lover was being. He thought they
could talk about things now, that they had no more secrets. Maybe it
was due to the fact that John hadn't told him about how he'd lost his
virginity. He knew Dave had bugged him about it more than once since
the sexual harassment seminar.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me that," Dave had said, almost as
soon as they'd gotten home that day. "I told you everything."

"Dave, it's not the same," he'd replied, nearly sighing as he did so.
It'd been why he'd been hesitant to admit it to the group in the first
place.

"The hell it ain't," Dave said, incredulous. "You were eleven. She was
*twenty-five*."

"Dave, I wanted to," he stated, turning away in embarrassment. "It
might've been wrong for *her* to want to, but - "

"Damn right it is."

"*But*," John continued, glancing at his lover with exasperation, "she
didn't force me to do it. I'm not traumatized by it, it didn't scar me
for life, it just...happened. It's not a big deal, it was just sex."

"I still wish you'd told me," his lover said, now his turn to look
away. "I felt like such an asshole."

"Dave..." John said, moving close to him and pulling him into an
embrace. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to make you feel that way. I just
didn't tell you because it wasn't nearly the same as what you'd been
through, and I wasn't about to play 'Who had it Worse.'"

"I know," he replied, his voice muffled by John's shoulder. "It's just
that...for a second...I thought that the same thing had happened to
you. And I wanted to kill that lady...because no one's allowed to do
that to you." Gently, he kissed John's neck. "No one."

Now, John snapped out of his reverie, glancing at Dave through the
glass window in the exam room, watching him treat his patient. The
younger man cared about him so much, that conversation alone proving
just how much, and John knew he owed it to Dave to figure out what was
wrong. If he cared about Dave just as much, it was something he had to
do, starting with a little investigative work.

-------------------------------

And I hate what I've become...

-------------------------------

Dr. Weaver wasn't having one of the best days of her life. Her
Attendings were killing patients, her Residents were flaking off, her
medical students were bugging her with thousands of questions, and her
nurses were raging with anger at a certain Croatian doctor. She'd yet
to speak with Luka, but if she heard one more complaint about him she
swore she was going to kill him herself just to stop the mayhem.

However, right now, she just wanted to be alone in the Lounge to
finish up her dinner and paperwork in peace. It'd just slowed down,
thankfully, so now she could sit here concentrating on nothing but her
salad and her charts, revering in the silence of the -

"Dr. Weaver??" She ground her teeth together, dropping her pen and
removing her glasses from her nose to hang around her neck. What the
hell could Carter possibly want, she wondered with annoyance as she
turned to face him with raised eyebrows. He must've picked up on her
irritation, because soon he was looking rather apologetic. "I'm sorry
for bothering you, but I just needed to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"Well, uh..." he began, crossing the room to his locker, fiddling with
the lock. "It's about...Dave."

"What'd he do now?" she sighed, turning back to her charts
dismissively, placing her glasses back on her nose.

"Nothing," John snapped angrily, and she looked up at him from under
her brow, above her glasses, surprised. "I'm worried about him, Dr.
Weaver. I didn't know if you'd noticed anything."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean he's been...closed off. Sporadic. Touchy - "

"You mean," she interjected, smiling slyly, "he's been himself?"

"I *mean*," John stated, almost desperately, "he's been acting...off."

The word triggered her mind. She remembered using it months ago,
expressing her own concern about the same young doctor to her
coworkers. And now John was here, doing the same thing, and
immediately she'd assumed Dave had done something crass or negligible.
She pulled off her glasses once more. "Off??"

"Yeah," he replied, nodding, his expression displaying his worry for
his friend. "It's just...if it's nothing, it's nothing. But if it's
something...I don't want to miss it this time. We almost lost him
because we didn't notice it before, and I don't want to make the same
mistake again...I'm sorry, I'm babbling..."

"Do you think it's that bad?" And if it was, why hadn't she noticed?

"I don't know what I think."

"Do you think he's using again, John?" Her question was met with
silence, and after a moment she continued. "John...don't protect him,
it'll only get worse."

"I honestly don't know anymore."

"Do you want me to talk to him??"

"I don't know..." he said again, glancing off briefly before looking
back to her, something flashing across his eyes. "Dr. Weaver...I
don't..." He trailed off, suddenly in motion and moving to the door.
"No. No, don't talk to him. Don't talk to anyone, I don't want word
getting to him. I'll ask around."

"I thought he left already," she said, her words curling into a
question.

"He did, but he's on tomorrow," John stated, moving quickly. "I don't
want it getting around to him."

"All right." She watched him curiously, her eyes following him as he
walked. "Tell me what you find, but don't take too long. If there *is*
any indication that he might be using you know I have an obligation to
step in."

"I know," John said with a nod, as he hastily left the room.

"Don't let me down!" she called, but he was already gone.

-------------------------------

You know the nightlife is just not for me

('Cause all you really need are a few good friends)

Don't wanna go out and be on my own

(You know they started something I can't stand)

-------------------------------

"Abby, can you get a suture kit from the closet outside, please?" She
glanced up from the rambunctious little boy at the sound of Luka's
voice, seeing his back at the cabinet. "Don't the nurses know how to
restock anything??"

"You mean do *I* know how to restock anything?" she asked
sardonically, smiling - a smile he didn't return, she noticed, as soon
as he was back at the exam bed. She sighed silently, crossing the room
to the door and quickly pushing it open. "Okay..." she muttered to
herself, oblivious, apparently, as she knocked dead-on into someone.
"Oh! Jeeze, excuse me."

"Abby, sorry, I didn't meant o scare you," John Carter apologized,
gently touching her arm, but he was looking inside the exam room -
looking at Luka. "Listen, can I, uh...let me talk to you," he said,
leading her away and into a nearby supply closet, where she curiously
followed. "Listen..."

"I am," she stated, when he trailed off. "What is it, Carter?"

He hesitated for a minute, almost seemingly reconsidering before he
finally spoke, his words coming out almost in one breath. "Have you
noticed Luka acting strange too? I mean, we know Dave's been off, but
Luka too, right? Do you think he has something to do with Dave's
behavior? Do you think - ?"

"John," she interrupted firmly, before he really got into rambling.
"They've been acting strange, but not...together. Luka has issues -
Hell, I should know, I dated the man. It has nothing to do with Dave.
I mean - you know what I mean. Look, I talked to Dave before and - "

"And??"

"*And* he wouldn't tell me anything," she stated, shrugging, but she
remembered just what he'd said. He'd made a mistake, one he couldn't
fix. She'd assumed he meant that he'd used, but now that John brought
this up...perhaps he'd meant something else. Like puzzle pieces coming
together, she began to consider the facts: John had walked in on a
conversation between Dave and Luka. Dave had been weird ever since,
Luka even weirder... Perhaps Dave had meant something different in
it's entirety. But she was still reluctant to voice her opinions, so
instead she said, "If something *was* going on, he would've said
something to me." But even she could hear the doubt in her own voice,
and she knew instantly that the wheels in John's head must've been
spinning in overdrive as well. "You know they have a history. They've
been in a pissing contest ever since. It's probably the same thing."

"Probably," he stated, nodding slightly, his eyes cast to the floor.
They suddenly rose to meet hers, the fear in them nearly breaking her
heart. "You sure he didn't say anything?"

"I'm positive, John," she replied. "Look...if you think Luka's the
problem, then why don't you just ask?"

"Who?" he asked. "Dave?"

"Yeah. You know he doesn't give you a straight answer unless you're
direct. Just ask him." She paused, her brow rising as she glanced at
him. "Why, did you think I meant Luka?"

"Well..."

"Abby!" The both of them nearly jumped out of their skin as they
turned to see Dr. Weaver standing in the doorway, angry (as usual). "I
need you in Trauma One. Didn't you get the page??" As if on cue, her
beeper went off, and she was about to reply when Weaver began speaking
again. "Get in there, it's your patient from Curtain Three."

"I'm coming," she stated, but the woman was already in motion, heading
towards the trauma room. Abby didn't hesitate to follow, but she
glanced at John, pointing a threatening finger. "Don't talk to Luka
until you've spoken to Dave. Got it??"

"I won't," he said quickly, holding his hands up in surrender. "I
promise!"

"Good," she said, turning and breaking into a jog to get to her
patient. John remained in the supply closet, nodding to himself
absently as he glanced over the shelves. Abby was right, he should
just talk to Dave. It was probably nothing, just the same old shit,
different day. Dave and Luka were always on edge with each other, one
had probably done something to make the other angry. He knew how both
men could get. They were just...being themselves. If John just talked
to Dave about it, asked him up front and asked him to *be* up front,
the whole thing would be resolved and no one would have to worry
anymore. It was nothing. It was probably just nothing.

A voice suddenly broke him out of his reverie, booming with a thick
accent from a room nearby. "Abby!! Are you getting me that suture kit
or not??" And then a door was slammed closed, and John could assume
which one it was. He sighed, shaking his head before leaving the room,
passing Sutures on the way. But as he made his way to Reception to
grab a new chart for a new patient, he slowed in his pace until
finally he stopped.

And one guilty glance at Trauma One later, he was heading into
Sutures, kit in hand, ready to get to the bottom of this.

-------------------------------

You leave for the city

Count me out

'Cause all this time is wasted on

Everything I've done

-------------------------------

Luka Kovac was growing impatient. His patient - a snot-nosed,
redheaded brat - was currently trying to get his fingers on every
little thing in the entire room. And, so far, he was succeeding.

"Would you please stop?" he finally asked, his voice edged with anger.
He glanced at the clock on the wall, as the boy simply protested by
banging the life out of a fork he'd gotten from God-knows-where.
"Where the hell is Abby with that damn kit??"

"You mean this one?" Oh, great. Just what he needed right now, another
reminder of why he hated this place. Hated his life. "Abby had a
patient, so I offered to take it to you."

"How considerate," he said, smiling thinly. John returned the gesture
with a warmer one, handing him the kit. "Thanks."

"Do you need any help?" he asked, but it seemed as if John had already
decided the answer because he was sitting down on a nearby stool. "He
looks like a handful."

Luka winced at the sound of metal grating against metal. "He's fine.
Besides, I'm sure you have other patients."

"Oh, no, it's no problem," he replied, almost cheerily.

"Great," Luka said, although his voice hinted at anything but. He sat
down next to the boy, opening the kit and starting the procedure...and
as soon as that needle was in sight, a series of shrieks were heard,
and then the brat was making a run for it, right out the Goddamned
door and into the busy ER, hopefully never to be seen again. "Really
great."

"Do you want me to call security?" John asked, and then must've
realized how silly that sounded. "To find him, I mean."

"No...I need a break anyway," he stated, rubbing tiredly at his eyes.

"How have you been feeling lately?"

The question was innocent enough, but Luka knew there had to be more
to it. John couldn't just be here to help Luka; it was no secret that
they didn't get along, to say the least. "I told you...hungover."

"Yeah, but I mean in general," he clarified. "How have you been? Okay?
We never really get to talk much, so I don't really know."

Now *that* was a shame. "Okay, I suppose...and you?"

"Fine," he nearly exclaimed, as if any other state was incredulous.
"You know...I've just noticed that you've seemed...down lately."

"Down?" Luka inquired, nearly smirking. "You don't need to worry about
me."

"Oh, no," he said, brushing off the implication. "I'm actually sort of
worried about Dave."

Ah...so there it was. Innocently, he asked, "Really?"

"Yeah..." John replied, the hesitancy clear in his voice. "He's been
sort of off."

"I'm down, he's off," Luka mused out loud, as if it truly baffled him.
If only John knew what had gone on between them...Luka briefly
wondered what he'd call them then. "What do you make of that?"

"I was sort of wondering if you knew anything about it."

"Me?" Luka asked, cocking a brow. "Why would I know anything?"

"Well..." Now John truly seemed nervous, as if he hadn't expected such
a dance during their conversation. But why should Luka make it easy
for him? John's whole life had been so easy... "I know you two have a,
uh...history."

"History," Luka repeated.

"Luka," John sighed, looking at him with exasperation in his eyes and
his voice. "Could you please help me out here? Look, I know we have
our differences, but I'm really worried."

"Why?" he asked, furrowing his brow. "Dave is a big boy, I'm sure he
can handle himself."

"What if he's using again??" John asked, and Luka could tell his
annoyance was quickly turning into anger. Two could play at this game,
he thought. "He can't handle himself when he gets like that, nobody
can. What then?"

"You'd know better than I," he stated, his voice edged with
impatience.

"What's that supposed to mean??" John asked, standing, his expression
contorted with sudden fury.

Luka stood as well, but he chose to ignore the question. "Why exactly
are you here, Carter??"

"To see if you're the one causing his problems," was the blunt reply
he received.

"Dave causes his own problems," Luka retorted, and then shook his
head, appalled. "You don't have any idea, Carter."

"What does that mean?" John asked, looking up with anger, but Luka
could see the desperation in his eyes. But he simply scoffed, turning
away to leave. He was surprised when he felt the hand on his sleeve,
forcing him to turn back around. "What the fuck does that mean,
Luka??"

"What the fuck do you think it means??" he snapped, stepping closer to
John, who didn't retreat but did the same. Luka sighed, stepping back
in an attempt to leave the room. "It means that maybe you don't know
your boyfriend as well as you think you do. Look, talk to him about
this, not me. Just leave me out of it."

"What's 'this'??" John asked, stepping in front of the door. But did
he really want that? Luka wondered. Did he really want to know what
"this" was? "Answer me, Luka!"

"Take this up with Dave, I'm finished here."

"You're not finished until I say you are!"

"Grow up, Carter. Now move."

"Not until you tell me what you did," he stated, and Luka had to
actually stop himself from laughing at the implication. "What. Did
you. Do."

"It isn't what I did," he blurted out, before he could stop himself.
"I said I wasn't getting involved in this, and I meant it. So let me
past and leave me alone."

"What does that mean!?" John persisted, nearly yelled. "'This,' what
does that mean?? I want to know, Luka!"

"I don't think you do," he said, before sighing. He tried to pushed
past John, but the man grabbed him by the sleeve and forced him to
stay. "John, let go of me. I said I'm staying out of this! It is not
my problem, talk to your boyfriend."

"Luka, if you don't tell me what's going on - "

"You'll what??" he challenged, and dangerously so.

John's hesitance was almost unnoticeable. Almost. "I'll out you. To
everyone. I'll tell everyone."

"That what?" Luka asked. He'd been startled by the threat, and the
viciousness behind it, but he recovered quickly after realizing how
much John cared about Dave. Enough to resort to blackmail. But Luka
was hardly one to be pushed around. "That what, John?? That I slept
with *your* boyfriend. Because don't think for a second they won't
start wondering why you two are always together."

They stood there, eye to eye for a minute, staring each other down
until John finally spoke. "I don't care."

"Of course you do!" Luka exclaimed, but for an instant the look in
John's eyes told him that he didn't. Not when Dave's life might've
been on the line. But he continued to speak, maybe even speaking from
experience. "If you didn't, you'd be out by now. You're ashamed about
your relationship with Dave. I can tell, with the way you act around
him as if he's just your coworker. Or under you, even. You'd rather
die than have people find out you sleep with someone like Dave."

"I don't care!" he repeated, more firmly this time. "I just want to
know what's going on with Dave, and if that means I have to out myself
and Dave to out *you*, then that's exactly what I'll do. Now either
you're going to tell me or I'm going to tell everybody - about *you*."

He was silent for a moment, John's passion telling Luka that every
single word he'd uttered was true. And he felt himself shrink back in
defeat. "There is nothing wrong with him."

"Then what happened??" he asked, stepping closer to Luka probably upon
sensing his defeat. Luka stepped back, but the other man didn't
hesitate to get in his face, standing nearly against him. "What's
happening, Luka? What did you do to make Dave act like he is?? What's
going on? I swear to God if you don't tell me right now - "

"Stop it!" Luka yelled, pushing John forcibly away. "You think he's
such an angel and I'm immediately the one to blame. But it isn't what
I did, it is what *he* did."

"What??" John asked, his voice cracking ever so slightly. Annoyed,
Luka tried to push past him once more but John didn't relent. "What
are you talking about, Luka??"

This time, Luka hesitated, but his anger overrode his rationality as
he began to speak. "Where did Dave end up, when he took all those
pills? Who did he turn too? You? No. Me. And do you think he just
went there to see me?? To have nice conversation with his good friend
Luka??"

"I don't understand..."

"Do I have to spell it out for you??" he nearly shouted. And he
suddenly *wanted* to spell it out for John, wanted to hurt him just
like he, himself, had been hurt so many times before by Dave, and by
Carter moments earlier. "He...we...he betrayed you, Carter. If you
want more detail, get it from him. Now get away from me."

"You're a Goddamned liar," John protested, taking a step back. "Dave
would never do that. He would never do that to me. You're a liar."

"Am I?"

"Fuck you, Luka" he said, so quietly Luka could barely hear him, and
suddenly everything was wrong. John was supposed to be angry, but Luka
could see his resolve quickly crumbling away. He was literally falling
apart right in front of his own eyes... "Fuck you..."

And Luka realized, then, that there was nothing left to say. John
must've realized it as well, because he was looking up with glistening
eyes, meeting Luka's.

"Thank you, Luka," he simply said. "You've been a great help."

"Carter," he said, reaching out, but the other man held up his hands
and quickly moved around him, out of the exam room and out of sight.
"God damn it..."

This was supposed to have been satisfying, Luka knew, but all he was
left with was a sense of dread, and, ultimately, guilt.

-------------------------------

You know me

Oh, you think you do

You just don't seem to see

I've been waiting all this time to be

Something I can't define

-------------------------------

"Get up." Dave stirred, rolling onto his back as he cracked open an
eye to see John standing before the closet, looking not quite angry
but as if something was definitely wrong. He repeated, almost harshly,
"Get up."

"What?" he asked, barely awake as he glanced at the clock: 2:14am. He
looked back to John. "Why? Is there a fire?"

"Just get up, please," he said, crossing his arms over his chest. He
still had his lab coat on, his ID badge and scrubs. "I want to talk to
you."

"About what?" Dave asked. He sat up, pushing the covers aside and
immediately feeling the chill of the air in his boxers and undershirt.
"Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

"I left early," he stated. "I wanted to talk to you."

"So you've said." Dave stood, moving to cross the room to John when
the other man took a step back. He furrowed his brow, his heart
beating a little faster. "What's wrong? Did something happen??"

"Yeah. Yeah, something did happen," John said, nodding as he met
Dave's eye with a cold, hard stare. And Dave's heart dropped into his
stomach as he saw the expression on his lover's face change from
disdain to absolute heartbreak. And he felt his own heart breaking.

He knew. John knew. But still, he asked, because there was a little
part of him that hoped against all hope that maybe he was wrong, "What
is it?"

"I had a little conversation with Luka tonight," he stated, his voice
calm but his eyes...oh, God.

"About what?" he asked, so quietly he barely heard himself.

"You know what!"

"No, no, no," Dave said, frantically. "He's a liar, John, he's a
fucking liar. You can't - you can't believe anything he says, he's - "

"No, Dave," he said, shaking his head sadly. "That's one thing Luka
isn't. You...you, on the other hand..."

"John, what did he say to you??"

"He said that I should ask you," John stated, meeting Dave with
suddenly angry eyes. "So I'm asking you, Dave. What happened between
you and Luka the night you overdosed?"

"John..."

"No!" he shouted, the anger spreading from his eyes to his expression.
"Don't 'John' me! I want to know what happened! Did you fuck him,
Dave??"

"John, I'm so sorry," he blurted out desperately, taking another step
forward, but next thing he knew John was in motion, reaching under the
bed and pulling out the suitcases they kept there. "What are you
doing? We need to talk about this."

"There's nothing to talk about," he stated, pulling clothes off of the
hangers, sending them flying as he dropped the garments into the open
suitcase. "You...you slept with Luka. You slept with Luka while I was
looking all over the fucking city for you, wondering if I'd find you
dead somewhere, or if I'd get a call that you were dead somewhere. All
alone. But you weren't alone. No, you were busy fucking Luka Kovac."

"I didn't fuck him!" Dave immediately exclaimed.

"You let him fuck you." The finality of the statement startled Dave
into silence. "You let him fuck you??"

"No!!" he yelled. "I did *not* let him fuck me. I would never let
anyone do that to me, especially Luka!"

"Then what happened??"

"I...John..."

"If you didn't fuck him, and he didn't fuck you, then what happened??"
he yelled, his voice cracking in a false alto. "What. Happened."

"I went down on him!" he exclaimed in one breath, before casting his
eyes to the floor. He felt his face grow hot as shame overtook him,
and, quietly, he repeated, "I went down on him, John."

There was silence, for a moment, but Dave didn't dare look up. Then,
finally, "How could you do that?"

"I didn't know what was going on!" he said, hearing the desperation in
his own voice. "I didn't know anything!"

"But you knew enough to get on your knees and - "

"John - "

"So, what??" he asked, cutting him off sharply. "So Luka took
advantage of you?"

"Yes!" Dave exclaimed, before realizing just how that sounded. He
hadn't been taken advantage of, he'd never let anybody do that to him.
He'd just been out of his mind, and Luka hadn't realized it. "No. I
just...I don't know! I don't know. I can't remember."

"But you remember going down on him?"

"Yes...yes, I do." The look on his lover's face was...God, he was
never going to be forgiven for this... "I'm trying to be honest here!"

"Honest?" John spat. "You want to talk about being honest?? How long
have you kept this from me?" And, without waiting for an answer, "And
*now* you want to be honest??"

"John, I'm sorry, okay?" he pleaded, as John pulled out another
suitcase and began stuffing the rest of his clothes into that one.
"John, please stop! What are you doing??"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" he snapped. "I'm leaving."

"John - John, stop!" Dave yelled, panicking. God, what the fuck had he
done?? Quickly, he began to take the clothes out as John threw them
in, hastily putting them back in the closet, some not making it to the
rack. "John, you're not leaving."

"Why shouldn't I?" he spat, grabbing the clothes Dave held and jerking
them out of his arms. "You do...you do *that* to *him*, you don't
*tell* me, and I'm supposed to just *let it go*??!"

"I said I was sorry!!"

"Oh, okay!" John yelled, his face contorted with anger. "Since
*you're* sorry, everything's okay. Guess what, Dave? That's not how it
works!"

"So what happens then?" he asked, finally taking a step back. Quietly,
he asked, "What happens *now*?"

"I don't know," John admitted, just as quietly. "I don't know."

--------------------------------

So let's cause a scene

Clap our hands and stomp our feet

Or something...yeah, something

I just gotta get myself over me

--------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Twenty-One - Gray And Blue by The She Devil
----------------------------------
Chapter Twenty-One: Gray and Blue
----------------------------------

Take me down in a tidal wave

Take me down when I'm wired

The hardest thing you ever gave away

Is the hardest thing to keep

--------------------------------

The left side of the bed was cold. It'd been that way for weeks now,
ever since John and Dave had stopped sleeping in the same bed. Dave
could remember the first night he'd woken up alone, rolling over to
find the other side of the bed empty. He'd soon discovered John on the
living room couch. He'd accidentally fallen asleep there, he'd said,
his back to Dave. But even then he didn't move, just continued to lay
there, unwilling to look at Dave. Unwilling because Dave knew, in
John's eyes, he was now a liar and a cheat, a disgusting whore who got
on his knees for another man but even now wouldn't do that for his own
lover if asked.

Maybe he would. Maybe he'd do it in a second, if it meant John would
love him again. Because he could see it in John's eyes, every time
Dave dared to look at him, that whatever had been there before...it
was gone. The passion, the kindness - the *love* - it was gone. And he
knew, even if he got down on his knees, even if he gave John
everything he wanted and more, he could never get it back again. He
could never get John to love him again. Not after what he'd done.

He wanted desperately to talk to Abby. He just needed someone to
confide in, someone to maybe give him some advice and help him out,
someone to tell him how to fix this. He didn't know how to fix this,
not when everything he seemed to say and do was the wrong thing. John
kept snapping at him, kept avoiding him, kept busy and kept leaving
the room whenever he'd enter it. That was what hurt the most, he was
pretty sure. That John couldn't even stand to be in the same room as
him anymore.

But he didn't talk to Abby. He didn't want to admit what he'd done,
what he was capable of. His fear of her judging him and subsequently
losing her as well was far to great to admit anything. It was just to
keep this to himself (for as long as he could, at least). And in order
to do that, he completely *kept* to himself as well. He didn't talk to
anyone, let alone Abby. He avoided his friends and coworkers as much
as he could, working and working and working until he could collapse.
He was pulling doubles left and right, taking anyone's shift who
called out or needed a favor. He took refuge in the patients, in the
cases, because he could fix that. He could fix that...

It was when he started making mistakes that Dr. Weaver made him go
home. First, he prescribed the wrong medication to a patient; luckily
he'd caught it before it was too late. Then, in his exhaustion, he'd
forgotten he even had a patient and left them in waiting for seven
hours. Finally, when he mixed up two charts and a patient almost died
of anaphylactic shock, Dr. Weaver pulled him aside to lecture him on
working too much and too hard, and sent him home.

Home. It was a word that used to evoke warmth and excitement within
him. A word that used to mean his lover, waiting up for him no matter
what time of the night. A word that didn't have any meaning anymore.
And so he walked in the snow all the way to the apartment across the
city, and about an hour later he arrived on his doorstep, his hands
almost as frozen as his heart.

Sometimes he'd wished he kept working that day, that he'd somehow
reassured Dr. Weaver he was fine and could stay on. Rationally, he
knew it still would've happened, but maybe for those few hours he
could've at least pretended there was still hope, however little there
might've been. Because every now and then he would meet John's eye,
and he could swear he saw a spark of what used to be. And if he just
did...*something*, then maybe he could watch that spark flicker and
grow, and maybe John would love him again.

But that night...that night he realized that John really didn't love
him anymore. Because when he stepped into the apartment, cold and wet,
he'd already felt it. Something was wrong, very wrong, and it took him
only an instant to realize what it was.

Picture frames were missing from the walls and furniture; that lamp
Dave hated was absent from the end table; books were gone from the
shelves, CDs from the rack...

All of John's things were gone.

He moved slowly through the apartment, taking in everything that was
wrong. The bedroom door was closed, and he only hesitated briefly
before pushing it open. More things were missing, one half of the
closet was bare...he reached out almost absently, touching one of the
hangers...

John was gone.

He heard movement behind him and turned quickly. John, standing in the
doorway, looking surprised. Not gone. Not yet, anyway. "Dave."

"John," he said, wanting to go to him but staying where he was.

"I thought you were off at twelve." He had to have checked because
Dave hadn't told him. Jesus, he must've had this whole thing planned!
Dave nodded silently, not trusting his voice or the lump in his
throat. "I was going to tell you, uh...before. You know my Gamma's
sick - "

"I don't, actually," he interrupted quietly. They'd barely spoken in
weeks, how could he have possibly known anything?

"Well, she is," John continued, almost casually, but Dave could see
the guilt building in his eyes. He had to look away, couldn't bear to
watch, could hardly bear to listen. "And she, uh, she needs me, so I'm
going to move back in for a little while."

"Right." He glanced up once more, feeling the stinging in his eyes,
the bitterness in his heart. "You could at least tell me the truth,
John. I think I at least deserve that."

"Just like how you told me the truth??"

"I see," Dave spat bitterly, his anger flaring from both the intense
pain of his heart breaking and his exhaustion. "Giving me a taste of
my own medicine. Glad to see you're not above bad behavior, Mr. High
and Mighty. You pretend -- ..." Suddenly he stopped, trailing off.
What was the point if John's mind had already been made up about him,
about their relationship, about everything? So he cast his eyes to the
floor, steadying himself. Waiting.

And John watched carefully, wanting to have hurt Dave just as Dave had
hurt him, but he still felt bad for taking such a cheap shot. He
apologized, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean that like it sounded."

"Sure, you did," Dave replied, glancing up, and John was startled by
the absolute emptiness in them. "I deserved it. But...I am sorry,
John. Whether or not you believe me, I...I didn't remember what
happened for a long time, not until he told me, I didn't -- "

"Dave," John stopped him. They'd had this conversation before, when
John had confronted him in the apartment to ask him what had gone on
at Luka's. He'd told him he hadn't remembered until Luka had told him,
and even then he could only remember pieces of it. Even now. And when
things had calmed down that night and John was no longer packing up
his things, he'd asked Dave to please stop talking about it, at least
for now. He had to go back to work, and once his shift was over he'd
come home and go to sleep, and after that they could talk about it.
Except they never did. And this was the result: their bitter downfall.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Dave said now, in an attempt to delay
the inevitable. "I was going to, but..."

"But you didn't trust me," John snapped.

"I didn't want to lose you," he said, his voice barely above a choked
whisper.

The scoff was nearly inaudible, but Dave still heard it and he winced
in reply. The angry words that followed were expected but they still
hurt more than he could ever remember any of his father's blows
hurting. Even the ones that had left permanent damage. "It's the same
thing, Dave. That's what you don't get! You didn't tell me because you
assumed you would lose me because you don't trust me enough to stand
by you. You didn't trust that I would understand. You didn't trust
me...you didn't trust *in* me! Yeah, I'd have been pissed but maybe I
would've understood. It all comes down to the same damn thing, Dave.
You don't trust me, and you never will. So you do what you always do."

His words hurt himself as much as he knew they were affecting Dave,
jabbing at John and reminding him of things he'd tried so hard to fix.
He'd tried to mend that trust that Dave's father had broken so
irrevocably, but yet he'd still failed. And he was angry at Dave, at
his futile attempts to make things better, to avoid...this. And so he
grabbed the first thing he saw, a dressage trophy out of the last box
he'd left behind, throwing it at the younger man in a burst of rage.
"You fucking hide and you fucking lie!! Because that's what you are,
Dave - a coward and a liar!" he screamed, as the trophy narrowly
missed Dave and dented the wall. They stood there, breathing heavy for
a moment, and John could see that he'd visibly startled Dave. He was
surprised that the young man hadn't reacted to the short violence, and
he could see that Dave actually thought he deserved it. It seemed as
if he were actually waiting for more. It was pitiful, and pathetic,
and it made John even angrier. And he had to look away. Calmly, he
admitted, "Dave...for the first time since I've known you...I can't
even look at you."

Dave looked up, startled by the words, and John's image blurred before
him as he saw the older man's eyes cast to the wall. "I said I was
sorry!" he cried, his voice shaking. "I'm sorry, John. I didn't...I'm
sorry. It meant nothing! Luka means nothing! I love *you*!!"

"This isn't about that," John stated, except Dave knew it was, it was
about that and so much more. It was about John wanting to hurt Dave
after Dave had hurt him, and the younger man couldn't blame him. He
probably deserved this, as much as he hated every minute of it.
Suddenly, "I have to go."

"Where are you going?" he asked quietly, surprised at the turn in
conversation.

"My Gamma's," John reminded him, as if he were too stupid to remember.
"She's going to die, I - "

"Then I guess you should go."

"Yeah," he replied, nodding. "I'll, uh...I'll call you."

The empty promise was met with a scoff, and Dave turned to the window
beside the bed, closing his eyes and shutting out the visions, the
sounds...everything. And it worked, for a few minutes, until he heard
John's Jeep start up outside, until he watched the man drive away
without a single glance back. He closed his eyes again, blocked
everything out. But even if he couldn't see, couldn't hear, couldn't
feel...he still knew he was alone.

--------------------------------

I am everything you wanted

I am everything you wanted

I am everything you need

--------------------------------

Abby Lockhart was pretty sure that she was being avoided. As much as
both Dave and John had been working lately, neither man would even
give her the time of day. As soon as they saw her coming, they'd
scamper off in a completely different direction. She was pretty sure
she hadn't had a single case with either of them in weeks, not even a
trauma. And that was a pretty difficult task in itself, because when
it got hectic you could be paired with anybody. She must've done
something to make them go through so much trouble to steer clear of
her, but she just couldn't figure out what.

"Malucci!" Dr. Weaver nearly barked, startling her into looking up
from the chart she'd been pretending to be focused on. She saw Dave
pause in his brisk walk across Admit, turning to look at his boss. "I
asked you four hours ago to take care of Mrs. Parson's in four! She's
got abdominal pain and it might be a ruptured appendix!"

"She also donates a ton of money to the hospital," Dave snapped, his
face contorted with anger and annoyance. "But that doesn't have to do
anything with it, does it?"

"Of course not!" she exclaimed, but of course it did, and everybody
knew it. Dave was the only one bold - or perhaps arrogant enough - to
admit it. "But she's been waiting for *four* *hours*."

"And I have other patients who have been waiting for five that are
more urgent!" he stated, and Abby began to make her way around the
desk, knowing a fight when she saw one. Especially when Dave put his
hands on his waist and began to look as if he were about to punch
someone out. And that someone definitely didn't need to be Dr. Weaver.
"She's gotta wait in line like everybody else."

"Do *you* want to be the one to explain to her family how she died
from simple appendicitis??"

"I have other patients!" he yelled. "Why don't *you* take her, if
you're so concerned??"

"Dave," Abby said, taking hold of his sleeve and pulling him slightly
back. "Why don't we just call down a surgical consult and let Dr.
Benton decide, all right?"

He was still staring down Dr. Weaver, but finally he let out a deep
breath and nodded. "Fine. But then *you* explain to Mr. Forester in
Two why he has to wait another hour before he can get his fucking hand
stitched up."

"Dave," Abby warned, but was cut off sharply.

"Watch yourself, Dr. Malucci!" Weaver snapped. "You're skating on
*very* thin ice."

"Yeah, I always am," he muttered to himself, following Abby to
Sutures, a room she knew was empty. She waited while he called the OR
and spoke with Dr. Benton, and once he hung up she cornered him and
wouldn't let him leave the room, swearing to use brute force if she
had to. "Abby, please? I really don't have time for this."

"Dave, just talk to me for a second, okay??" she pleaded. "You and
Carter have been avoiding me for a week now. Did I do something
wrong??"

"No," he replied, shaking his head as he tried to get past her.

"So what's going on?" she persisted. "If you don't tell me then I'll
just ask Carter."

"Then ask him."

"Dave!" she said, exasperated as she grabbed his hands, kept them held
in hers. "Please, just talk to me. What's going on?"

He rolled his eyes and let out a deep breath, focusing on the wall,
and she knew she'd won. But he didn't speak right away, just kept
pursing his lips as if trying to figure out what to say. Then,
finally, "John and I...we...we aren't...seeing each other...anymore."

"What??" she nearly shouted, as he slipped his hands out of hers and
turned away from her. And now it was her turn to try to figure out
what to say, because she was completely and utterly speechless.
"How...I mean, what...who...?" She felt almost stupid, standing there
and stammering, and she shook her head to clear her thoughts, trying
to wrap her mind around what he'd said. "What happened?"

"We broke up."

"It's really that simple?" she asked, appalled. He shrugged in
response, his back still to her as his fingers slipped between the
blinds and he gazed out the window to the ambulance bay. "You...Dave,
you two...who broke up with who? It was amicable?"

"I guess as it ever can be..."

"Dave," she sighed, wishing he would look at her.

"He broke up with me, all right??"

"Why?"

"I don't know. What does it matter? Easy come, easy go."

"Easy come, easy go my ass! There has to be a reason," she stated,
stepping closer to him. He shrugged again, and finally she took his
arm and forced him to face her. "Would you stop...?" The words died on
her lips as she saw the look in his eyes, the look of a broken man. He
wasn't as passive as he'd seemed, but she'd already known that...she
just hadn't known how much. Softly, she asked, "Dave...what happened?"

"Do you remember...when I overdosed?"

"How could I forget?" she asked almost absently, her brow furrowing in
slight confusion at his words and his behavior.

"Do you remember when I was gone for a while?" he asked, and she was
trying to get him to look at her but his eyes were averted to nearly
everything else in the room except her. "When John was looking for me
but he couldn't find me?"

"Yeah..."

"I was at Luka's," he stated quietly, and a blush crept into his
cheeks.

"And...?" she asked softly, but she already knew.

"And I cheated on him," he replied with an unsteady voice, and she
suddenly realized he was ashamed. It made her anger flare as she
watched him speak. "I cheated on John, and I lied to him about it, and
he broke up with me."

"You were overdosing," she said, as if it were the most obvious thing
in the world. Except it was, and John should've seen that. "You were
overdosing, Dave."

"I heard you."

"Dave!" she exclaimed. "You were overdosing!! You had no control over
your actions or what was going on! Why the hell would he break up with
you??"

"That's not the point," he said, but she could hear the hesitancy in
his words.

"What is??" she asked, as she glanced off in incredulity. "That you
fooled around with your ex-boyfriend and his worst enemy while you
were *overdosing*?!"

"I hurt him, okay??" he exclaimed, the guilt apparent in his
expression. "I did that, and I didn't...I didn't tell him, and it hurt
him. He can't be with someone he doesn't trust. And how can he trust a
fucking liar??"

"Screw him! You were overdosing!! It doesn't make sense! My God, is he
that arrogant, he can't even -- "

"Abby, stop," he interrupted her mid-rant. "Look, I know that you and
John have problems but this is my fault, don't go being mad at him. I
fucked this up just like I always do; I didn't tell him the truth and
when he found out it hurt him."

"Wait a minute, back up," she said, confused. "If you didn't tell him,
then who did?"

He hesitated. "I guess...Luka...might've."

"Why would he do that!"

"Because he's hurting too, Abby, I don't know. I guess I just fucked
everything up. Look, it...it doesn't matter now," he said, meeting her
eye for practically the first time since they'd started this
conversation. She could see the finality there, the sadness. The fact
that he'd given up. "John hates me, and it's over, and...that's it.
Now I'm going to finish my shift, and go home, and just...forget this
whole mess."

She jarred. "Forget?"

He looked at her, as if realizing what he'd said too, but he didn't
offer a comment.

"Dave," she nearly warned, watching him carefully. "Promise me you
won't do anything stupid."

"Me?" he asked, smiling half-heartedly. "Do something stupid?"

"I mean it, Dave!" she said, grasping his shirt in her fists. It
wasn't a threatening gesture, rather it was one that suggested her
desperation. "Please, Dave? Promise me. Please..."

"I promise," he replied softly, nodding. She pulled him close,
wrapping her arms around him, and felt him do the same. She kissed his
neck gently, tasting his warm skin, and they stood like that in
silence before the door was pushed open and their moment was broken.
They stepped away from each other hastily, and she saw Dave rub almost
tiredly at his eyes but she had to wonder if he'd been crying. "Sorry.
I gotta go take care of some patients."

"Right," she said, and together they turned to see Yosh standing in
the doorway, pushing a wheelchair-bound patient inside of sutures.
"Yosh."

"Abby," he said, smiling knowingly. "Dr. Malucci."

"Yosh." He nodded before excusing himself from the room and making a
quick retreat back into the chaos of the ER.

"So..." the young nurse said to her, cocking an eyebrow. "You and Dr.
Malucci make up?"

"Yeah," she replied. "Something like that."

She stood there for a moment, feeling...something. It was small, but
it was definitely there, and the more she focused on it the quicker it
grew. It spread from her stomach to her heart, speeding up its pace,
and soon it was traveling through her bloodstream and up to her brain,
clouding her thoughts. It set her jaw and clenched her fists, and
created a fire in her eyes that let everybody know to steer clear of
the bitch in warpath.

It was rage.

--------------------------------

Take me back to the other place

Take me back when I'm alone

I can see all the little things

That once could make me whole

--------------------------------

It was her turn to quickly excuse herself, and she slipped out the
door and immediately went to the front desk to check if John was on
shift. He was running late, a constant theme with him lately. And, of
course, Dr. Weaver had been cutting him slack since it was her golden
boy Carter, and also because his grandmother was very ill (not to
mention a major benefactor to the hospital). While Abby stood at the
desk checking rosters and slowly imploding, she spotted Luka talking
easily with Susan.

"Luka!" she barked, louder than she'd intended and drawing entirely
too much attention to the two of them. "We need to talk."

"Can it wait?"

"I'm sure Susan will excuse us, this is urgent."

"Sure," Susan replied, knowing when Abby meant business. "We can talk
later."

Abby waited until Dr. Lewis was out of earshot, fighting the urge to
grab Luka's arm and drag him into a more private spot. Instead, she
insisted, "Let's go outside."

"This sounds promising," Luka surmised, his brow cocking, and she
could see he knew this couldn't be good the instant she spun around on
her heels and stood very close to him, glaring.

"Luka, I would *not* screw around with me right now if I were you."

"Maybe you'd like to tell me what this is all about," he stated, as
soon as they were outside in the ambulance bay near the bike rack,
away from the chaos of the emergency room.

"I think you know what this is about," she snapped in reply. "This is
about you telling Carter what happened between you and Dave while he
was completely loaded."

Immediately he held up his hands, backing up as he began to shake his
head. "I didn't -- "

"Don't lie to me!" she yelled, glad that they were off to the side so
she wouldn't have to keep her voice down. "Luka, I...cared about you.
And I thought you were a better person than that. But I guess I was
wrong."

"Abby, I didn't...mean it to be the way it is."

"Then how did you 'mean it to be'?"

"Abby, I thought I loved Dave," he stated, his eyes focused on an
ambulance shooting out of the parking lot, lights blazing and siren
screeching. "I thought when he came to me that night, telling me
those...things, that maybe he realized he loved me too. I thought he
was just drunk, and I wanted to call Carter, I swear I did. But he
kept talking and...he wanted me, Abby. And I wanted him to want me. I
don't know if I'm making sense."

"You...are," she admitted quietly, nodding. "But then why would you do
that to him, if you 'loved' him?"

"It isn't what you think," he stated, almost as if he desperately
wanted her to believe him. "Carter came to me and accused me of being
the one causing Dave's problems. And maybe he was partially right, but
I knew he had to talk to Dave about it. I tried to stay out of it but
he...threatened me."

"What??" she asked, nearly appalled. "How does Carter threaten a guy
like you?"

She saw a genuine smile tug at his lips at her phrase, as if he were
amused that she could find him so tough. "He said he would out me. It
isn't like you think."

"You keep saying that."

"It isn't," he insisted. "He was just doing it because he cared about
Dave, and he wanted to know what was wrong. And...I wanted to tell
him, I wanted to ruin their relationship. I really did, and I thought
telling him would be...different than how it turned out."

"So you told him everything to get back at him?"

"I didn't tell him everything!" Luka exclaimed quickly. "I only
implied what had happened and he figured out the rest. I'm sorry for
what has happened. But it was equally everyone's fault, not only mine.
I'm not the only bad guy here. But that bastard Carter thinks he can
pin everything on me. I swear, I -- "

"It's okay," Abby suddenly said, seeing the pure sincerity in Luka's
eyes. "I believe you."

"You do?"

"Yeah," she replied, nodding. He suddenly stepped forward as if to
touch her but she pulled away, holding up her hands. "I said I
believed you, I didn't say I wasn't mad at you anymore."

"I will have to make it up to you then?" he suggested, and she could
swear she heard a hint of flirtation in his voice.

"I'll think about it," she replied, smiling up at him, and she could
swear she heard a hint of flirtation in her own voice. "Now I just
have to find Carter, because I swear to God when I get my hands on
him..."

"Abby, perhaps you should not get involved in this," he stated, as
they moved back into the ER. "It might get worse if you do."

"I think it'll get worse no matter what I do," she murmured. "But I
have to try."

--------------------------------

I am everything you wanted

I am everything you wanted

I am everything you need

--------------------------------

It only took her minutes to find John after she parted ways with Luka.
He was in the Lounge, at his locker and getting ready to start his
shift. She walked right up to him, so fast her momentum must've
stirred things up in her wake, and she didn't hesitate a beat before
she began to speak.

"You broke up with him?!" she yelled, startling him so much he slammed
his hand against the metal shelf as he putting his coat in the locker.
"You broke up with him??!"

"Keep it down!" he hissed, immediately glancing around to see if
anyone had overheard, but they were alone.

"No!" she shouted, irate. "I will *not* keep it down!"

"Then I'm not having this conversation."

"Oh, grow up, Carter!" she exclaimed, fighting the urge to smack some
sense into him.

He didn't reply, simply kept searching in his locker for something,
finding it much more interesting than their conversation. It made her
angrier, so much so that she slammed it shut nearly on his fingers. He
turned to her in surprise. "What the fuck is wrong with you, Abby??"

"What the fuck is wrong with *me*??" she asked, and she could tell
immediately he knew it'd been the wrong thing to say. "What the fuck
is wrong with *you* John?? He was overdosing, and you know it. He
almost fucking died! Or did you forget that little fact?? Did you
forget how many drugs were in his system that night? How much
*alcohol*?? He had no idea what was going on, and you still broke up
with him. Is your ego that big??"

"It wasn't about that," he stated, seemingly forgetting whatever it'd
been he'd been searching for. "He lied to me about it, Abby. He didn't
even tell me about it, I found out from Luka."

"Oh, so now Luka's word is Gospel??" she asked, incredulous.

"Dave admitted to it!" he exclaimed. "He admitted to it. And he kept
it from me."

"So that's what this is about?" she asked. "Dave - "

"*Yes*, that's what it's about!"

" - Not telling you he fooled around - "

"It was more than just - !"

" - While he was *overdosing*!?" she shouted. "Do you have any idea
how ridiculous that is??"

"It is not ridiculous!" he yelled, his voice breaking, and he quickly
quieted. "It is not ridiculous, Abby. He did something wrong, and now
he has to pay for it."

She leaned back against the lockers, disgusted as she crossed her arms
over her chest and slightly banged the back of her head against the
cool metal. "Fine. Believe what you want, John. But let me tell you,
you are making one huge mistake, and once you get over your pride
you're going to be kicking yourself. Hard."

"I'm not the one who made the mistake."

"Yeah, yeah," she said, shaking her head. "And now he's paying for it,
blah, blah, blah... But you know what the really sad thing is?"

"What?" he asked quietly, even though she could see he didn't want to
know.

"He was actually defending you." She scoffed bitterly. "Can you
believe that? You'd just better hope that when you come to your
senses, he still loves you as much as he does right now. Because if
you ask me, right now you really don't deserve him." She pushed away
from the lockers and began towards the door, but paused before opening
it, and instead looked back to him. "By the way, Carter, if you ever
out Luka, I'll out you. And not just here. So don't ever threaten him
again. *Or* Dave, or anyone I care about." She paused, glared. "Don't
fuck with the people I love."

--------------------------------

But I can feel it again

I can feel again

I am everything you wanted

I am everything you need

--------------------------------

It was an ongoing joke that the new Intern, Dr. Gregory Pratt, had a
crush on Dr. Dave. He followed the Junior Resident everywhere,
catching on to his idioms and even attempting to imitate his methods
of practicing medicine. Dave didn't mind him that much, although Pratt
was a little too brusque for his liking, and maybe he ogled women a
little too much (especially Jing-Mei). But for the most part, he was
an okay guy.

And he was really okay when Dave needed a favor, such as right now. He
found the young man flirting with a nurse, of course, and even he
appreciated Pratt's form as he heard a line Dave had used before.

"Hey, Pratt," he called. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure thing, Dr. Dave," he said, excusing himself rather gallantly
before flashing a grin. "What's up?"

"I need a favor," he stated, and held up a slip of paper between his
fingers. "I'm off my shift in about five minutes and I really just
want to get out of here. Can you fill a prescription of Demerol for
Colonel Harris in Three? He's playing the tough guy so I don't think
he will, and I just want to get it to him before he leaves."

"You got it, bro," he said, before taking the prescription from his
hand and offering Dave a low five. "Now you get outta here before
Festus - "

"Dave!" the Chief of the ER screeched, as if on cue. The two men
turned, watching her as she walked briskly with a gurney towards the
trauma rooms. "Take Trauma Two with Carter and Kovac. Pratt, your with
me and Chen!"

"What?" he asked, startling with surprise. "No, I'll pair up with you
and Pratt can take Trauma Two."

"I don't think so, Dr. Dave," the Intern said, slapping him on the
shoulder playfully as he made a show of eyeing Jing-Mei. "You can't
win 'em all. Hey, ya got Abby in there, at least."

"Wait," he called, but the only response he got was the trauma room
doors swinging closed. He glanced at Trauma Two, considering bailing
out, even though he could already see the two doctors struggling and
Abby attempting to do the job of a third. He sighed as he turned away,
making a quick retreat, but he found himself pausing in his steps...
"Shit."

--------------------------------

Give me the colors of a different light

Give me the colors gray and blue

Everything you ever hoped to be

Is when the colors bleed

--------------------------------

"I need someone at the chest!" Luka shouted, adrenaline pumping
through his veins as he attempted to slip an endotracheal tube past
this man's vocal chords. "He's not going to be able to breathe at all
if we can't get his lungs to open up."

"I'm kinda busy here," John snapped, his hand buried in the leg,
trying to find a ruptured artery by mere touch. "He won't have to
worry about breathing if he bleeds to death."

"What makes you think I was talking to you??" Luka snapped back.

"Guys!" Abby exclaimed, irritated beyond belief at getting stuck with
these two and then having to deal with their constant bickering on top
of that. "Just do what you have to do until you're finished or until
we get another doctor in here. Until then, just - "

"Uh...need some help in here?" It was as if time completely stood
still in that exam room as the three of them saw Dave, standing near
the end of the gurney. He seemed to sense it too, and he quickly spoke
up even if he was half-backing up to the door. "I can do the chest
thing. Unless you can handle it."

Immediately, Abby could tell he was trying to find an easy way out,
and before either man could tell him they were fine (which she was
sure they would, no matter how badly they needed another set of
hands), she motioned him over to the chest tube tray. "We can use all
the help we can get. Chest is prepped."

"No, we're fine," John insisted firmly. "We don't need him in here."

"Are you kidding me?" Luka asked, hearing the bite of implication in
the word 'him.'

"We need all the help we can get," Abby added, glancing at Dave
assuredly.

"Right," he said, shooting her a glare that she ignored. He pulled on
a gown and gloves, and then began placing a chest tube, a procedure
that took a good amount of time. He'd be stuck standing there for a
half-hour or more, and Abby could tell he was already dreading it. She
could feel how tense he was standing beside her, his eyes straying to
his ex-lover every now and again. And for a brief moment, she saw
their eyes meet, and damn, the spark there was so unmistakable it
nearly took her breath away. How could John possibly think he didn't
love Dave anymore?

"I can't get in," Luka suddenly said, breaking everyone's attention.
"I need to crike him."

"Not so fast, Luka." John, clamping the artery and ready to sew it up
before he heard Luka's words. "Let me get it, and then we'll take
things from there."

"I've tried, Carter, and he's already lost too much oxygen," he
stated, as he moved away from the gurney to grab a kit. "Let's just
crike him."

"He still has a good minute and a half," he retorted, ready to try,
ready to take the reigns of this entire trauma should he pull it off.

"Forget it," Luka said. "I'm criking him and that's it."

"I'm trying it."

"Your minute and a half is up."

"After you stood here arguing with me about it!"

"It's too risky."

"As if criking him isn't? Just let me - "

"It's too late."

"Too risky, too late, you can't - "

"Would you fucking do something?!" Dave exclaimed, incredulous. "Crike
him or tube him, but do *something*, or he's going to die."

"I'm criking him," Luka said, just as John replied, "I'll tube him."

They looked to Dave, and he was surprised by his sudden role. He
hesitated, but only briefly, knowing his decision was the right one
but also knowing how it would be interpreted. "It's too late. Crike
him, Luka."

"Fine," John spat, stripping off his gloves. "Since I'm obviously not
needed any longer, I've got patients."

Suddenly, the monitors began blaring, erratically beeping and letting
the trauma team know their patient was circling the drain fast. John
didn't hesitate to pull on a fresh pair of gloves as Dave stopped his
procedure to begin compressions. Luka grabbed the paddles while John
took control of the crash cart, leaving Abby to note hastily
everything that happened on the chart. They maintained their positions
for forty-five minutes, shocking their patient and pushing drugs and
trying everything in their power to save him, but sometimes God had
other plans despite the desperate attempts of His men.

"Time of death...nineteen fifty-six," Abby murmured, marking it down
on the chart before she turned off the consistent tone of the heart
monitor. "I hope Dr. Weaver did better."

"If we got him tubed maybe we could've gotten him stable." Carter,
almost immediately picking up the argument where it'd left off.
Sometimes Abby had to wonder if he was so adamant about hating Luka
that he'd do anything to spite him.

"Save it, Carter," the older man spat. "If I couldn't get it, you
couldn't have either."

"Oh, because you're the all-mighty ER doctor??"

"If oxygen was your big problem," Luka continued, "then maybe if you'd
let me crike him before he'd crashed, *then* he would've stabilized!"

"You're the one that wouldn't let me tube him in the first place!"

"You had your job, and I had mine."

"At least I did mine right!"

"Perhaps this whole trauma would've gone better without you!"

"Shut up!!" Both men turned in surprise, looking to Dave, who'd
expelled the words with such disgust he looked as if he might vomit.
"He's dead, all right? It's over, that's it. He's dead. And somebody's
gotta tell the family, but it's not gonna be me, because I'm going
home now. So maybe one of you can get over your egos long enough to do
your jobs."

The room fell quiet, and Abby wordlessly began to prepare the death
kit as John and Luka almost seemed...ashamed. Dave turned, moving out
of the trauma room, and in a sudden burst John followed him out fast.
"Dave!"

Abby and Luka exchanged glances. She said, "This can't be good."

"Perhaps I should say something."

"Are you crazy?" she asked, gaping at him. "If it gets bad, *I'll* go.
You stay here, Luka. Nobody needs to be getting kicked out of the ER
today."

They glanced at the trauma room doors as they swung closed, the two
men beyond it facing one another with such intensity in their eyes
they could've hated one another. And yet, beneath that, was a deep
connection so thick it could be cut with a knife. And a sexual tension
so thin it could be cut with a feather.

Dave asked, "What is it, John??"

"Don't you ever second guess me like that in a trauma again," he
hissed in reply. "*Ever*. I don't know who you think you are, but
don't do it again. I'm the Chief Resident and you are my subordinate -
"

"Fuck you," Dave scoffed, nearly laughing at the incredulity of it
all. "You were wrong and you know it. Your only problem is that you
don't like to hear it."

"What??" John shot back. "Like you know the difference between right
and wrong."

"You know what?" Dave asked, stepping closer to John as if he were
going to get in his face. "Grow up," he instead said, backing off
before walking away to clock out and then head to the Lounge where he
would finally, *finally* grab his things and go home. Except, of
course, there were certain forces that would, of course, not allow him
to do that just yet. Of course.

--------------------------------

I am everything you wanted

I am everything you wanted

I am everything you need

--------------------------------

"Dr. Malucci!" Dr. Weaver screeched, loud and abrupt enough to startle
him. He'd been so close to the Lounge door he could almost feel the
heavy wood underneath his fingertips, and he ground his teeth as he
turned, letting out a deep breath as he faced the shrew. She was
jutting out of a doorway, halfway down the hall. "Mrs. Parsons is
crashing in here!"

"What??" he exclaimed, bursting into a run and quickly getting into
the room, throwing himself into chaos. Dr. Weaver was there, with
Chuny, and Mrs. Parsons lay on the bed intubated and prepped for
defibrillation. "What happened?"

"What happened is that you left your patient without supervision," she
yelled, watching the heart monitor carefully as she lifted the
paddles. "Clear!"

"I didn't even think she'd be down here," he stated, as the old
woman's body seized with the shock of one hundred joules. "I called
Benton two hours ago! I thought she was up in surgery."

"So now this is his fault?"

"I didn't say that."

"What's going on in here?" Dr. Benton, right on cue, looking slightly
agitated. "She's crashing? I thought it was just an appy."

"So did I," Dave began, but Dr. Weaver cut him off sharply, "Obviously
not."

"You should've told me it was urgent," Peter said, shouldering Dave
out of the way to resume compressions. "Somebody get me an
ultrasound!"

"You should've been down here two hours ago, when I first called you!"

"As if I don't have anything better to do than guess whether or not
your patients are critical??" he snapped. "Okay, people, let's move.
Chuny, call the OR and tell them to prep for surgery. That appy you
have is actually a growth, Dr. Malucci, on her intestines, that just
burst. We're stable, let's move, people!"

He followed the gurney, right beside it, glancing down at the fragile
woman lying unconscious upon it, her shock of white hair stained with
vomit. Briefly, he wondered if he'd ignored her just because Dr.
Weaver had wanted her at the top of his priorities list. But he pushed
that thought aside as he kept pace with the doctors and nurses and
critical patient, urgency personified. He didn't realize Dr. Weaver
hadn't followed until she was barking his name from behind him,
standing just outside the exam room.

"Do you have any idea what could happen after this?" she asked,
leaning heavily on her crutch, her other hand rubbing at her temple as
if trying to wrap her mind around his actions. "What could happen to
you? To *me*?"

Of course, this was about her, he thought bitterly, and said, "Let's
not pretend you care about me, Dr. Weaver."

"Watch it, Dr. Malucci!"

He ignored her warning. "You only care about what this could do to
you."

"Yes, but it's not the only factor involved here."

"Sure, there's her money. And that's what this is about."

"No," she snapped harshly in reply. "It's about you, unable to fulfill
your duties as a physician."

"Dr. Weaver, I called surgery!"

"If you'd diagnosed the mass in the first place," she said, and he
desperately wished they would have this conversation somewhere
private, "then this wouldn't have happened! She would've been rushed
to the OR and properly treated before nearly dying."

"Anyone could make the same mistake!"

"Except you made it," she yelled. "*You* made the mistake, Dr.
Malucci, and you alone. Am I the only one in this conversation that
sees how similar this is to what happened last Fall?? Jesus, Dave! You
make these snap diagnoses and set your mind to them, damning the
consequences. How many patients will you have to kill before you
realize that maybe something's wrong here?"

"I didn't..." he began, but words escaped him as he realized there was
nothing he could say in defense. And suddenly Dave was aware of the
several eyes on him, and he glanced off to see his coworkers and his
bosses and his friends. Ex-friends...John, standing right there at
Admin, watching unabashedly. Perhaps it was better if he didn't step
in and try to stop Weaver from publicly berating him, but it still
hurt that he didn't care.

"How many times are you going to screw up before you wake up??" Dr.
Weaver asked again, loud enough to draw the attention of whoever
hadn't been watching. She sighed, as if giving up - giving up on him.
Had she been trying, all this time, to get him to wake up? Somehow he
doubted she cared enough, but on the other hand he wondered if he was
just that bad of a doctor. "Dr. Malucci, I want you to go home. Go
home, and don't - "

"Wait, are you suspending me??" he asked, his heart pounding against
his ribcage almost as if it were trying to get free. "Chief - "

"I said go home, Dr. Malucci," she stated, "and don't come back until
I call you personally!"

"Dr. Weaver, one more suspension and the Residency Review Board is
going to be all over my ass!" he said, hearing the desperation in his
own voice. "You can't suspend me, they could - "

"I can, and I did!!" she shouted. "Now get the hell out of my hospital
before I call security!"

He stood there as she walked away from him, glued to his place in the
middle of the hall, taking in everything she'd said, everything she
didn't but he knew she wanted to. And he realized it then, that maybe
it was best if the Review Board told him to resign, maybe it was best
if he was put out of his own misery. How many more lives, he wondered,
would he take before he...before he woke up? If being a doctor was the
only thing he'd ever been good at, then he really didn't want to know
what he was bad at.

In a sudden burst of emotion he punched the wall, cursing loudly and
turning briskly, walking with wide steps to the Lounge. He could see
John still watching him carefully, looking as if he actually felt
sorry for Dave. With a glare he spat angrily, "What the fuck are you
looking at?" and was satisfied when he saw John startle in surprise.

"Dave, wait!" Abby, always present just when he needed her. Except
right now he didn't really feel like putting up with her reassuring
words and gentle advice. Not right now, and he pushed open the Lounge
door and strode quickly to his locker. He heard her follow him, knew
she would. "Dave, just calm down for a second."

"Just save it, Abby, okay??" he hissed, hardly able to open his locker
with shaking hands. Finally, he succeeded, and pulled out his things.
"I don't need your pity right now."

"Dave..."

"What??!" he turned to her, and she jarred before looking away. The
absolute rage in his eyes scared her. She didn't want to leave him
alone right now.

"I'll get someone to cover me," she said, hearing the desperation in
her own voice. "Let's go get coffee."

"No. I'm going home."

"Dave, come on."

"I just want to go home, Abby."

"It's just one cup of coffee! We'll go right across the street, and --
"

Suddenly he slammed his locker closed, and so fast she didn't have
time to gasp in surprise he turned to her and stood so close she could
feel his body against hers. "I said. *No*."

"Okay, okay," she said, holding up her hands in surrender, her back
arched away from him but she dared not move. "Okay. No coffee."

He seemed to...deflate then, as he stepped back, his shoulders
slumping and his expression turning from anger to absolute...anguish.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...I'm sorry. Just leave me alone, okay? I
don't think...you should be near me right now...I'm sorry...I just..."

"Dave..." she began, trying to get him to meet her eyes but he
wouldn't. He *couldn't*.

"I don't want to hurt you, Abby."

"You could never hurt me," she assured him, even if she wasn't so
sure. But he was her friend, her best friend, and she would stand by
him no matter what.

He paused for a moment, his face partially turned away from her, but
even then she could see his pain. "I love you so much, Abby," he said
quietly, but didn't say anything more. He didn't need to. She knew
what he meant by those words, that he loved her *too* much, too much
to hurt her in a fit of rage, and he knew that was exactly what he
would do if he got too angry.

She nodded. "Okay. It's okay. Just...remember what you promised, Dave.
Don't do anything stupid. Okay?"

"Yeah," he said, nodding. He forced a small smile that he hoped didn't
seem as fake as it felt. "Don't worry. I'll be fine. I promise."

"I'll call you when I get off my shift," she said. "I'm pulling a
double so...we can go out for lunch tomorrow, right?"

"I don't know," he said, as she walked him to the door. "I might be
feeling antisocial."

"Then we'll eat in," she suggested, suddenly excited (or maybe it was
desperation). "I'll get some pizza and soda, and I'll pick up a few
movies, and we can stay in and have a sleepover."

"All right," he agreed, if nothing than to get her off his back. He
stepped out of the Lounge and into the hall, already seeing the eyes
on him, knowing they'd be waiting. Some of them looked surprised, as
if they'd expected him to leave in a fit of rage, knocking out a few
bystanders in path. But he was just so damn tired, all he wanted to do
was go home and curl up in bed. Maybe he'd sleep for his entire
suspension, however long it was. God knew he hadn't been getting much
lately. He'd moved from the bedroom to the guestroom, thinking that
was it, but he was restless even there. Now, he slept on the couch. At
least there he got some rest, even if he woke up with muscle cramps
from the awkwardness.

"So I'll call you, okay?" Abby asked, still by his side. He nodded,
before she stepped forward and hugged him. He was surprised by the
gesture and felt himself stiffen, but soon she was easing out of the
embrace. "I'll see you later then. 'Night, Dave."

"'Night." He watched her walk away from him and disappear down a
hallway, and only once she was gone did he turn to leave. But it
seemed as if he wasn't due to leave just yet, because next thing he
knew someone was calling his name. He nearly ignored them, just
wanting to leave this fucking place, but when he recognized Pratt's
voice he glanced back. "What is it??"

"Sorry, Dr. D.," he said, looking apologetic. "Listen, I couldn't get
that scrip to Harris."

"Who?" he asked, puzzled. "What?"

"The Army dude?" he said, as if it were obvious. He suddenly thrust
forward a small, familiar paper bag, and Dave could hear pills shaking
from within it as he took it. "He left before I could get it to him.
Sorry, D."

"Oh," Dave replied, remembering. "Right. Yeah, that's okay. He
probably wouldn't have taken it anyway."

"Okay. Well, I gotta go. Weaver's smacking everybody's ass tonight."

"Wait, what am I supposed to do with this??" Dave asked, holding out
the bag, but Pratt was already walking away from him.

"Do whatever you want with it!"

Dave stood there, sighing as he began to walk towards the in-hospital
pharmacy, which was on this floor but all the way near pediatrics.
This, he thought, clutching the paper bag tightly in his fist, was the
last thing he needed: to trek all the way through the fucking ER like
some reject for everybody to point and stare at, to whisper and laugh
about. And his pace slowed until he finally stopped, the pharmacy in
sight and the cheery tech behind the counter smiling at him.

"Can I help you?" The words echoed in his head as his grip on the
prescription tightened. "Sir?"

"Uh...no," he said, shaking his head. "I thought there was a mistake
with my prescription, but I was wrong. Sorry."

"That's okay," she stated. "Have a good night!"

"I will." He turned, making sure no one he knew was watching as he
deftly slipped the bag into his coat pocket. And he made his way back
through the ER, oblivious to the eyes on him, or the hushed murmurs
around him. So oblivious he didn't even hear John call his name. He
could only feel the bottle burning a hole through his pocket straight
to his heart. But he must've been a moth drawn to that heat, drawn to
that fire, because he was convinced he was going to have a good night
even if he couldn't imagine the burn. Because he was going to take
Pratt's advice. He was going to do *exactly* what he wanted with those
pills.

He smiled as the ER bay doors closed behind him.

--------------------------------

But I can feel it again

I can feel it again

I am everything you wanted

Everything you wanted

--------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Twenty-Two - Someday, Somehow by The She Devil
------------------------------------
Chapter Twenty-Two: Someday, Somehow
------------------------------------

How the hell'd we wind up like this?

And why weren't we able

To see the signs that we missed?

And try to turn the tables

-------------------------------

The coffee table had never really held anything before. It was always
bare, except for when people ate in front of the television, which was
more often than not, especially now that John was gone. Then, it would
be filled with glasses and plates and utensils and napkins. But when
nobody ate there, and when nobody was drinking while watching
television, it was usually bare. Sometimes Kermit napped on it, but
currently he was busy chasing around a new toy he'd gotten earlier in
the week. So the table was empty. Except for one orange bottle that
loomed over the entire room despite it's very small size.

Dave reached for it, his fingers nearly touching the smooth plastic
before he pulled back abruptly, almost like the bottle itself were hot
to the touch. Several more times, before he leaned back against the
couch with a loud sigh of frustration. Those pills had been all he
wanted all the way home from the goddamned hospital, but now, for the
life of him, he couldn't muster up the will to even touch the bottle,
let alone open the cap and take a few. What the hell was wrong with
him, he wondered angrily. It wasn't like he was a virgin to this whole
scene!

He needed some courage. And he knew exactly where he could find it.
Only a couple blocks away was that liquor store he'd always frequented
before his addiction, the same one he'd almost bought vodka from a
couple months ago until Abby had convinced him not to. Now, he went
there again, relieved not to see the same boy in fear the kid might
remember him and say something. Or worse, just look at him, pitying
him, feeling sorry for him. Look at the poor, washed-out doctor that
needs to buy courage instead of just having it.

You couldn't help your character flaws, he mused, placing the vodka on
the countertop. He narrowed his eyes, glancing at the brightly
illuminated freezers behind him. It suddenly occurred to him that
character flaws were permanent. He was going to need more than just
this little bottle of vodka.

Two six-packs, whiskey, and another couple bottles of vodka later,
Dave exited the store, his arms heavy with paper bags. He'd nearly
dropped one on the way into his apartment, which would've really
ruined his night since balancing his half of the rent (John still paid
the other half), food, and whatever else he needed without help really
put a dent in his wallet. He'd nearly had to resort to his savings a
couple times, but a few moonlight shifts at the Doc-in-the-Box had
managed to divert that.

Now, he put a bottle of vodka in the freezer, the other two in the
cabinet, and kept the whiskey on the kitchen table. The beers went
into the refrigerator, save the couple he was going to drink. Hell, he
thought, pulling out a third. He'd been such a good boy for the past
few months, tonight was his night to splurge. And after everything, he
was pretty sure he deserved it.

"Here's to you, Malucci," he said to himself, right before he took a
sip.

***

The pounce on his chest woke him with a start the next day, Kermit
meowing loudly right in his face, knocking his head against Dave's.
"...The fuck??" he exclaimed, sitting upright with a jolt and
immediately regretting the decision when the room began to spin.
"Jesus Christ, my head..."

He glanced at the cat, who meowed loudly another few times, no doubt
greeting him with a few expletives of his own before scampering to his
empty food bowl. Dave stood on unsteady legs, stumbling into the
kitchen to feed his cat, apologizing for not doing so the night
before. The smell of the Whiskas had never before made him queasy but
it did then, and he promptly vomited into the sink.

"Damn, I hate whiskey," he muttered, before glancing at the clock. He
turned to his cat after noting the time. "Thanks for getting me up,
furface. Every condemned man should be on time for his execution."

He was, of course, talking about his meeting with Dr. Weaver today,
the one where she would decide just what to do with him and tell him
the specifics of his suspension and/or termination. Termination. He
hated that damn word, it sounded so...permanent. So final. As if not
only would he be fired but he would also cease to exist. He might as
well, he figured. He'd be useless if he couldn't be a doctor. He just
wasn't good at anything else, except maybe being a drunk and an
addict, he thought as his head pounded and stomach rolled.

His mood just continued to go downhill from there as he took a shower,
hoping to wash away the stink of booze and the buzz of the pills he
could only hazily remember taking. One six-pack and nearly a half of
the bottle of whiskey later, he'd finally opened up that pill bottle,
thanking God it hadn't been childproof because he would've never been
able to open it with his numb, heavy hands. Two pills, maybe
three...he couldn't really remember. But he remembered popping the
damn things and washing them down with some more whiskey. After
that...blissful nothingness until furface got him up this morning.

-------------------------------

I wish you'd unclench your fists

And unpack your suitcase

Lately, there's been too much of this

But don't think it's too late

-------------------------------

Two more pills and a train ride later, he was standing outside of the
ambulance bay, looking at the building. Studying it as if the meaning
of life (or at least his) was etched into the brick in patterns and
symbols he didn't understand. A voice startled him out of his silent
reverie, reminding him that he had an appointment to keep.

"Are you going in," Luka asked, smiling gently, "or are you just going
to stand here all day?"

"I'm going in," Dave stated, turning back to look at the hospital.
"Although I was thinking about just standing out here."

There was a pause before Luka spoke once more. "For what it's worth,
Dave, I'm sorry. I intend to defend you in front of Dr. Weaver today."

"What??" Dave asked, looking at Luka again with puzzlement. "What do
you mean? You're going to be there??"

"I'm an ER Attending."

"Yeah so?"

"I supervise you, so I will be there," Luka explained. "Dr. Weaver
didn't tell you that?"

"No. Why would she?" Dave hissed. "She loves having an edge over her
victims. Who else will be there?"

"Dr. Anspaugh, Dr. Romano, Abby since she's the head of the nurse's
department in the ER, and..."

"Don't say it," Dave groaned. "Please don't say it."

"...Carter."

"Fuck," he hissed, shaking his head. "He's going to crucify me."

"You think so?" Luka asked. "I know he's mad, but would he try to make
you look bad?"

"Well, you fucked me over royally and we never lived together," Dave
spat, more harshly than he'd intended. "What do you think??" He
sighed, his shoulders dropping as if he was deflating. "I'm sorry. I
don't mean to take this out on you."

"It's fine," Luka assured him, touching his arm gently. The gesture
didn't ease Dave's anxiety, though, but he still appreciated it,
especially after everything they'd been through together. "Let's go
inside, uh?"

He nodded sullenly, reluctantly following Luka inside of the ER and
then upstairs into the boardroom. They were the first ones there, and
he plopped himself down heavily into a seat, Luka settling in the
chair beside him. Already showing that he really was on his side, if
he was willing to sit next to him. Nervously, he waited, jittery in
his chair as he waited for everyone to come. Dr. Anspaugh arrived
first, greeting them with a warm smile that managed to calm Dave
slightly. Then came Dr. Weaver, who didn't even glance at him before
sitting next to Dr. Anspaugh, on the other side of the table. Abby
came next, sitting on the other side of Dave, touching his hand and
giving it a gentle squeeze. Dr. Romano entered last, and loudly (as
usual). And John Carter was nowhere to be seen.

"All right," Dr. Romano said, sitting down in the chair at the head of
the table. "If everyone's here, then we can get started."

"Everyone isn't here," Dr. Weaver stated. "Dr. Carter, our Chief
Resident and one of Dave's superiors, isn't present."

"Well, he'd better get 'present' fast," Dr. Romano said, "because
we're starting without him."

"But you said - "

"I don't remember half the crap I say," he told her, waving off her
comment with his hand. "Now, Malatucci - "

Dave didn't bother to correct him, knowing the mistake was
intentional, but Luka spoke up on his behalf. "It's Malucci."

"Whoever you are," Dr. Romano said, "why are you here? And more
importantly, why am I taking time out of my busy day to deal with your
mess?"

"I made a list," Dr. Weaver offered, pulling out several copies to
pass around the table, and Dave didn't fight the urge to roll his eyes
and shake his head as she handed them a sheet of paper. He took his
but didn't look at it. He could see in Weaver's eyes that she wanted
him to. She wanted to get under his skin and drag him into an
argument. That was her game and he knew it. He also knew that if he
let her lead him there, he was finished, and no way was he going to
let her win.

"Wonderful," Dr. Romano said, and while his tone always suggested
sarcasm, Dave could sense more of it now. The Chief of Staff's eyes
barely skimmed over the paper before he was looking up at Dr. Weaver
with an exaggerated stare. "You can't really expect me to believe this
kid did all of these things on the day he was suspended, can you??"

"If you carefully read the explanations listed - "

There was a short knock at the door before it opened, and John Carter
sheepishly made his way inside, apologizing quietly for being late.
Dave followed him with his eyes as he sat down right next to Kerry
Weaver. The lines had obviously been drawn, and now Dave knew exactly
which side John was on. He clenched his jaw, felt Abby place her hand
on his arm, sensing his mood.

"Malucci," Dr. Romano suddenly said, ignoring the interruption.

He sat up. "Yes?"

"Why are you here?"

"Uh..." He wasn't really expecting to be asked a question like *that*,
and he stammered slightly for a minute, daring to steal a glance at
Dr. Weaver, who was nearly shooting death rays at him with her fiery
eyes. "Well, Dr. Weaver wanted me to see this woman, but I had other
patients first. And I called the OR about the suspected appendicitis,
but nobody came down and she crashed."

"And you were suspended."

"Yeah. But I - "

Dr. Romano raised one hand, silencing Dave as his eyes scanned over
the sheet of paper Dr. Weaver had given him more thoroughly this time,
pausing as they landed on something he obviously felt was important.
His eyes met Dave's. "And this woman, what was her name?"

And he knew it. He knew he was sunk the minute Dr. Romano asked, the
minute he realized Dr. Romano knew exactly who his patient had been.
Absurdly, he felt as if he might cry, but he swallowed the lump in his
throat, averting his eyes.

Dr. Romano barked, "Her name, Dr. Malucci."

"Is that really important?" Luka cut in, sitting forward to catch Dr.
Romano's eye. "I think what's really important here is - "

"What's important here is what I *say* is important here," Dr. Romano
retorted, sitting forward himself, his face contorted with anger. "Her
*name*, Malucci."

He raised his chin, looked directly at Dr. Weaver, and then to Dr.
Romano. Because he refused to be ashamed. He refused to let them walk
all over him. And even if this defiance was small, it was still
defiance, still a victory. As steadily as he could manage, he said,
"Her name was Mrs. Parsons."

"And do you have the slightest clue who Mrs. Parsons is?" he asked.
"Does her name ring a bell?? It should, she's a main benefactor to the
hospital. Or *was*, who knows at this point??"

"Why is that important??" Dave exclaimed, frustrated that his career -
hell, his *life - depended on this woman's money. "I didn't know her
name at the time, I didn't know who she was, just like I don't know
anybody else I treat. I don't care if she's rich, she's not more
important than a welfare mother or even your mother."

"Watch it, Malucci," Dr. Romano warned, but he didn't.

"She was a patient," he continued, "that's all she was. I treat them
all the same. And sometimes I screw up, I'm still learning, I'm just a
Resident. But I don't think my future as a doctor, I don't think my
life should come down to sucking up to rich people. They're not better
than anybody else, they just think they are. This whole thing is
ridiculous!"

"Dr. Malucci, I suggest you keep your tone down," Dr. Romano warned.

"Robert, I think he's got a point," Dr. Anspaugh interjected calmly.
"This meeting should be about whether or not Dr. Malucci is the
negligent factor in Mrs. Parsons' case, and what the repercussions
should be if he is."

"Fine, Donald," Dr. Romano seethed, and Dave steeled himself as the
Chief of Staff turned to him. "Dr. Malucci, after reviewing the chart
Drs. Anspaugh, Weaver, and I all believe that you're the negligent
factor in Mrs. Parsons' case. You should have ordered more tests,
checked on her status, and nagged surgery until they came down to get
her. Moreover, you seem to have a habit of making up your mind on a
diagnosis without all the facts - lose that habit or next time you're
gone. And being busy, Dr. Malucci, is never an excuse. We're all busy,
unless you think you're the only one who works around here. You have
thirty days to learn your lesson."

"Wait, you're suspending me?" Dave exclaimed, gaping. "For thirty
days, you're suspending me?? Come on, I - !"

"Without pay."

"What?!?" Dave shouted, standing with a flourish, so hard he nearly
knocked his chair over. This couldn't be happening. This just could
not be happening. "Dr. Romano, I can't afford that!!"

"Then I suggest you start looking into other investments."

"Dr. Romano - !"

"Sit down, Dr. Malucci, unless you'd like start looking into a new job
as well!" he yelled over Dave, who sat down reluctantly, staring off
in anger and absolute incredulity. "Dr. Malucci, you will not return
to this hospital until the fifteenth of June - "

"That's longer than thirty days," he pointed out.

"Want to make it sixty??" he snapped. "Then shut up. June fifteenth
you report to my office, and Dr. Weaver and myself will make the
guidelines for your return. This meeting is over."

"Dr. Romano," Luka immediately spoke up, before Dr. Romano could get
up from his seat. "I don't think that's fair."

"Life isn't fair."

"There's no grounds for a month's suspension," Abby piped up. "Dave's
behavior is fine, better than half the doctors in the ER. All the
nurses get along with him and like working with him, he's never
disrespectful to patients, we think - "

"Since when do the nurses opinions matter?" Romano snapped, and Abby
visibly bristled at the comment.

"Then why am I here??" Abby retorted.

"You're nice to look at."

A hand on her arm stopped her from replying, Dave's hand calming *her*
down, when she should be doing the same to him. She looked at him,
surprised, meeting his eye and realizing that he'd absolutely given
up. Her expression softened, suddenly wishing she could take him into
her arms and protect him from cruel assholes like Dr. Romano and Kerry
Weaver, and cowards like John Carter.

"Dave, I'm sorry," Luka said, once the room was empty and the three of
them sat at the table alone. "It wasn't fair what he did. This wasn't
even about that woman, it was about her money. It isn't fair."

"Maybe we should report him," Abby mused.

"To who?" Luka inquired.

"I don't know," she said, shrugging. "Even Dr. Romano has bosses.
Right?"

"Like who?" Luka asked. "Satan?"

"Did you see him?" Dave suddenly asked, staring at his hands, his
clenched fists shaking. He looked up, but not at either of them. "Did
you see him?? Sitting there, not saying a fucking word. Coming in late
like he's too fucking good for this meeting. Can you believe that??"

Gently, Abby reached out to touch his back, but when she did he
flinched hard, startling her. She could see Luka startle as well,
exchanged a worried glance with the Croatian. "Dave," she began, but
he suddenly stood. "Where are you going?"

"Anywhere," he stated, pushing out his chair hastily and heading to
the exit. "Doesn't matter. I just gotta get outta here."

"Dave," Abby called, but he ignored her as he left the boardroom,
ignored Luka as well, and was glad that he didn't have to ignore
anyone else since the hall was practically deserted save a few suits
and also some of the doctors from the meeting waiting at the elevator
alcove. John was among them, standing there, smiling as he spoke with
Dr. Weaver. Fucking smiling as he spoke with the woman who had done
Dave in countless times before, including this time.

He changed his course, and instead of heading to the elevators -
because no way was he going to get on an elevator with *them* - he
pushed open the door to the men's room, slamming it behind him with a
loud crack. Into a stall, closing the door behind him and locking it
firmly, leaning against it as well, just in case. He slipped his hand
into one of the pockets of his jeans, pulling out the bottle of pills
he had taken with him before leaving his apartment. Another two pills
into his system and he was already calming. A few deep breaths with
closed eyes and the drugs were already taking over, even if it was
impossible for them to work that quick...but just the thought...

He stood at the sink although he couldn't really remember leaving the
stall and walking there, but the water was running over his hands,
which he cupped underneath to take a few sips. Standing upright, he
caught his own reflection in the mirror, wondering when he'd started
losing weight. But that wasn't the only thing different about himself
that he noticed. He looked so irrevocably...damaged. Lost. Empty.
Completely alone.

-------------------------------

Nothing's wrong

Just as long

As you know that someday I will...

-------------------------------

The door pushed open, and the last person on Earth he ever expected to
walk into the bathroom did. Well, maybe the second to last, because
Kerry Weaver would've been the first. He met John Carter's eye,
rolling his own before shutting off the sink and heading toward the
door in a hasty retreat.

"Dave," John said, reaching out to touch his arm, but Dave jerked his
body away to avoid contact. "I wanted to talk to you."

"I think you said enough in that meeting," Dave scoffed. "Wouldn't
want you to talk yourself to death."

"Did you really expect me to defend you?" John asked, as if the answer
was obvious.

To Dave, it was. "I expected you to defend my skills as a doctor. I'm
a damn good one, and you know it."

"I wasn't there, I didn't have the right to say anything," John stated
almost indifferently, holding up his hands in defense. "I don't know
what happened that night."

"Neither did Luka and Abby."

"Abby was defending you as a friend, and Luka was defending you as
a..."

"As a coworker, John!" Dave snapped. "A coworker! And so what if you
weren't there that night?? You should've defended my skills as a
doctor, and you didn't. If the tables were turned I would've defended
you. I would've been professional enough - I would've been *grown up*
enough to put the personal shit behind us and do what was right.
You're a great doctor and I would've told them that. I expected you to
do the same."

"Look, this isn't why I came in here," John said, changing the
subject. Dave remained quiet, his jaw clenched as he allowed John to
continue. "I just came in here to see how you were."

"Oh, save it," Dave said, incredulous. By now, John should know he
couldn't lie to Dave; he knew John too well to allow a lie to pass
without noticing it. "What do you really want??"

"I'm sorry for what happened in there - "

"Yeah, I'll bet."

He ignored the comment. "A month's suspension without pay is harsh,
and I know you don't have that kind of money..."

"Wait a second," Dave said, when John trailed off. He gaped at the
older man in disgust. "Are you offering me money?? What am I, your
kept boy?"

"Dave, that's not what I'm implying and you know it."

"What are you implying??" Dave asked, but before John could answer he
held up his hands, stopping him. "You know what? I don't need your
charity. Ease your conscience some other way. Fuck you."

Storming out, he pulled open the bathroom door with such a flourish it
slammed into the wall, denting the plaster. He slammed into Abby as he
stepped out of the bathroom, grabbing her so she wouldn't fall over
after knocking into her. Sensing his anger, a different kind than the
one in the meeting room, she asked, "What's wrong?"

"Well, fuck you too, Dave!" John exclaimed, exiting the bathroom right
after him, walking past him and heading back to the elevator alcove.
"Excuse me for caring."

"Oh, when did you start giving a shit??" Dave asked. "Save it for your
next fuckboy."


"Go to hell!!"

"You first!"

"Dave!" Abby exclaimed, trying to get his attention. "What's going
on?"

"I'll tell you what's going on," John stated, anger contorting his
face as he paused to face them. "I try being nice and I get kicked in
the teeth. Screw you, Dave, I'm sick of it."

"Yeah, whatever," Dave said, as John turned and began walking away
again. "That's right, princess. Go pout, asshole!!"

"Dave, stop it," Abby chided, grabbing his arm and forcing him to face
her. "What happened?"

"He offered me money," Dave replied, scoffing. "Can you believe that?
He dumps me and then he offers me money like he's paying for services
rendered. I still have my goddamned pride. Fucking asshole thinks he
can embarrass me because I'm going to be strapped for money. I could -
"

"Dave, just calm down," Abby interrupted him, rubbing his arm. She was
relieved to see him relax visibly. "Forget him, he isn't worth it.
Just forget it. You don't need him or his money. You're better than
that."

"It's just..." He sighed. "He always thought he was better than me
because he had money. And he still does. It just...it..."

"Sucks."

"Yeah." He smiled down at her as she reached out to smooth back his
hair, something she often did when in Mother Hen mode. She was
standing close to him, the smell of cigarettes emanating from her
clothes, but there was also something else, something vaguely familiar
that he couldn't immediately recognize. And then he knew it: alcohol.
It was alcohol, and it wasn't coming from him. "So, uh...how you
feeling, Abs?"

"I'm okay," she stated, nodding, her eyes averted almost guiltily.
"You?"

"I'm okay," he told her, averting *his* gaze, as well. And suddenly he
didn't have the will to question her about how she *really* was,
because did he really have a right? He smiled sardonically. "I really
enjoyed the meeting."

"Me too."

"I liked the part where Romano told me I get no pay for a month."

"My favorite was the list Weaver made."

"Oh, yeah! I forgot about that. That was definitely my favorite part
too."

They broke into grins, falling into familiar routine. But Abby asked,
rather seriously, "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Hey, I'm not fired at least, right?" He shrugged, looking up at her,
meeting her eye for a brief second. Simultaneously, they both looked
away. Jeeze, Dave *really* needed to get out of here and just go home,
before he said something or did something he'd regret. He just needed
to be alone, because he was all he had right now. Even Abby couldn't
be relied upon now that she was drinking again, and he knew it with a
heavy heart. For the first time in a long time, he was really alone.
"Listen, I'm going to go home, I've got some stuff to do."

"Want company?" she asked. "I just finished my shift and I'm not on
again until tomorrow night."

"No," he replied, shaking his head as he began to take a few steps
back, towards the elevator alcove. "I'll be all right. I mean, you
know. I'm just going to go home, watch television or something."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

He made it all the way down the hall to the elevator before he heard
Abby behind him. "Hey, Dave?"

He turned back to her as the doors *pinged* open. "Yeah?"

"If you need anything, just call me."

"I will," he said, boarding the elevator.

"Love you."

"You too," he replied, watching the doors slide close before him. He
called out, before it was too late, "Bye, Abby."

He wasn't sure if she replied. He was already gone.

--------------------------------

Someday, somehow

I'm gonna make it all right

But not right now

I know you're wondering when

--------------------------------

John Carter was going to be the last to admit that he missed Dave.
Seeing him at that meeting had been nearly unbearable, sure, but it
wasn't because he missed him. It was only because they had history,
and it was hard to be a superior when his ex-boyfriend had messed up.
That's why he'd been late, because he hadn't been intending on going
at all before his conscience took over. And even after showing up, he
hadn't said a word. It'd just been too hard.

But it *wasn't* because he missed him. He'd be the last to admit it,
and he stuck to that mantra. Even now, as he lay here in his bed at
the mansion, feeling the emptiness beside him, he wasn't about to
think it, let alone mutter the words out loud. So he clenched his
jaws, irritatingly fluffing the pillow beneath him as he attempted to
get comfortable. But he swore he was going to punch that pillow so
hard it'd be obliterated into nothing but feathers pretty soon.

A glance at the clock let him know it was still early evening. He'd
gotten off of his half-shift and had gone straight to the meeting,
afterwards arriving home and positive that he'd be so exhausted as
soon as he'd hit the bed he'd fall asleep. But there was something
missing, something that wouldn't let him get comfortable. And he knew
what it was - or who, more accurately. But he wasn't going to admit
it.

Maybe he just missed the warm body next to his, he considered, or the
arms around him nearly every night. He missed the attention, the
romance, the affection, and, yes, the sex. (He even rubbed his ass
against the mattress, feeling the empty ache.) But he didn't, in no
way, under any circumstances, miss Dave Malucci.

The man he'd devoted so much of the past six or so months of his life
to had cheated on him. He hated him, as much as he might've loved him
at the same time, but once John's trust had been broken, especially
like this, it couldn't be repaired. Yes, perhaps the exact person he'd
cheated on him with might've had something to do with it. But it only
served to show how much Dave had wanted to hurt him.

And he *was* hurting. He felt it deep within his heart, to know that
he wasn't good enough for Dave. Especially at a time like that, when
Dave had needed him the most...he'd gone to Luka to save him. So he
might've been overdosing, but there had to be something behind it, no
matter how screwed up he'd been at the time. He didn't trust John to
do the right thing?

Maybe he hadn't wanted John to do the right thing. Maybe that's why
he'd gone to Luka, because he knew Luka would do whatever Dave wanted.
For a price. Dave hadn't been sure whether or not he'd been taken
advantage of. Maybe Dave had done what Luka wanted to take advantage
of *him*. Had Dave wanted to die that night? Maybe he had. Maybe he
hadn't wanted John to do the right thing because he'd gotten so low he
wanted to die. He shuddered thinking about life without Dave.

And then he started laughing, bitterly, because there he was, lying in
bed and very alone, without Dave. It was his own fault, and he knew
it, but his stubborn streak convinced him that it was for the best.
Dave deserved to be hurt, just like he'd hurt John. But he'd get over
Dave, and somebody else would come along. Maybe that person would be
the one he spent the rest of his life with. Hell, John thought,
curling up and pulling the covers over his head. Maybe he was just
meant to be alone. Maybe both of them were.

--------------------------------

Well, I'd hope that since we're here anyway

We could end up saying

Things we'd always needed to say

So we could end up staying

--------------------------------

At around five o'clock in the evening, three days after she'd promised
to stay over Dave's and only a few hours since asking him in the
hospital (and also only a few hours after that little voice in her
head screamed at her all day that something was wrong), Abby stepped
off of the elevator and onto his floor, balancing a pizza in one hand
and a bag of DVDs in the other. She'd grabbed several movies from
Blockbuster, carefully avoiding romance and drama, or anything else
remotely depressing at the moment. Instead, horror movies and action
films where people suffered and died were on the agenda for tonight,
and she considered that it was pretty appropriate.

She rang the doorbell twice in a row (a longtime habit), and waited
patiently for him to answer. After a minute or so she tried the door
but it was locked, so she rang the bell twice again, listening
intently to see if she could hear anything beyond the door. In another
minute, she knocked, calling, "Dave? Are you home? I got the movies
and pizza! Come on, open up."

She stood there, her brow furrowing as worry started seeping into her
brain. And she cursed the day she'd left her keys to the apartment
here after she'd moved out, thinking she should've listened to Dave
when he told her to keep them. She banged loudly on the door. "Dave!
Come on, open the door or I'll get the landlord! Please?? Dave..."

A small crash came from within the apartment, and then three breath's
pause before she heard the door unlocking and the chain sliding
across, and soon it was pulled open, but only just enough for Abby to
see Dave's face. She could immediately tell something was wrong just
by his appearance: his hair was unwashed and mussed, he looked as if
he hadn't slept in days (or if he had, in the wrinkled clothes he was
wearing), and he was breathing as if he was feeling ill. And, with an
unsteady voice, he asked, "What is it?"

"Since you haven't been returning my calls and avoiding me like the
Plague," she told him, "I decided to chance coming over."

"For what?" he asked, blinking hard, squinting against the hall light.
"I just saw you today at the hospital."

"I know, but that was for work, this is for pizza and movies," she
replied, indicating the items in her hands. "I'm spending the night.
My stuff's in the car, but I didn't have enough hands."

"No, Abby, come on," he began to protest, but she cut him off quickly.

"Dave, we made plans three days ago," she stated, almost urgently.
"I've called a million times and I've stopped by more than once, but
you never call me back or you're never home. The only time I saw you
was at the hospital today, and that was only for a few minutes."

"I'm really tired," he said, looking at her beseechingly with that
pout he had that would've worked on her any other time. "I feel really
sick, too."

"You'll feel better after you eat something," she assured him,
offering a smile that he didn't return. She knew what it was like to
lose someone you love, how it took a while to get over it, and she
hoped a night of movies would help him feel better. "Let me in, Dave.
We'll just sit and watch some movies, you don't even have to talk to
me. Besides, I already got the pizza."

He sighed, rubbing tiredly at his eyes as he stood aside, pushing the
door open in the other direction. She stepped inside, immediately
noticing how dark it was; the sun had set and only the kitchen light
illuminated the entire apartment. She set the pizza down on the coffee
table and turned, saying, "Jeeze, Dave, shed some light in here, it's
like a black hole..." But she trailed off when she saw him visibly
sway as he closed the door. Now, with narrowed eyes, she asked, "Are
you okay?"

"Yeah," he replied, nodding as he once more rubbed his eyes. "I was
just sleeping."

"Oh," she said, as she moved into the kitchen. She flashed a grin as
she began to pull open the refrigerator door. "You'll need your sleep
for later, I grabbed enough movies to last until dawn - "

"What're you looking for? Drinks?" he asked, suddenly beside her to
grab the door. "I'll get it. You get the napkins and stuff. You
brought everything, the least I can do is get you a drink."

"Okay..." she said, eyeing him curiously as she grabbed a handful of
napkins from the holder and brought them into the living room. She
took a minute to really look at the place, noticing what a mess it
was, and was about to make a flippant comment about it when her
stomach growled loudly, reminding her she hadn't eaten in a while.
"Hurry up, Dave, or I'll start eating without you. I'll probably
finish it too."

"Hold your horses," he quipped, his back to her over the bar counter
that separated the living room from the kitchen. Abruptly he stepped
back and she heard the soda bottle he'd been holding bounce on the
floor. "Shit! I can't believe I just did that!"

"Don't worry about it," she stated, quickly moving into the kitchen as
he quickly picked up the bottle before too much of the soda spilt onto
the linoleum. He placed it into the sink to dry off as she grabbed
paper towels. "I'll help you wipe it up."

"Thanks," he replied, and soon they were both crouched on the floor
and cleaning up the mess. He cracked a grin at her, indicating the
full glasses of soda on the counter. "At least I got some of it in the
glasses."

She smiled in response as she stood, grabbing the wet towels and
crossing the kitchen to the garbage. "Why don't you grab them and I'll
throw these away."

"Yeah, okay," he said, picking the glasses up off of the counter
before he went into the living room with them. "So what'd you rent
anyway? No chick flicks, I hope. Maybe a porno?"

"Dave," she said, feigning exasperation as she stepped on the
garbage's pedal to flip the lid open. She dropped the trash in, her
eyes only catching sight of a gleam against the light as it snapped
shut. She glanced at Dave, but he was busy with the remote and
complaining about the lack of porn in the stack of DVDs, so she
quietly opened the lid, peering inside. The glare was still there, and
she moved the paper towels, her curiosity getting the best of her. It
was glass. Green glass. She stepped back as the familiar objects
registered, the lid banging shut as she did so.

The crash she'd heard in the hall had been the sound of Dave hastily
throwing beer bottles into the trash.

"Ready?" She snapped out of her reverie and looked at him, but he was
still focused on the remote control. He glanced up when she didn't
respond. "Abby?"

"Dave..." she said quietly, her heart hammering in her chest. "Have
you been drinking?"

"What?"

"Are you drunk??"

"No!" he exclaimed, but she knew he was, should've known as soon as
she'd seen him. "I'm not drunk. I haven't been drinking."

"Then what's this??" she asked, opening the trash and pulling out one,
two, three bottles of Heineken, but only because that was all she
could hold. She could see more, too - lot's more. And not just beer
bottles but vodka and whisky as well. "Then explain this!" He didn't;
he just stood there, watching her. "Dave," she breathed, her shoulders
slumping. "How long? How long have you been drinking?"

He hesitated. She could tell he was considering his answer as
carefully as he could in his stupor. "I just...yesterday I just went
out and..."

"Last night??" she nearly shouted, startling him. "You drank all of
these in one night??"

"No! I mean..." he trailed off, before continuing quietly, "I mean,
since three days ago. Since Thursday. I had some this afternoon too,
it's not like I had it all in one night, I - "

"Dave!" she exclaimed, dropping the bottles into the trash. She
suddenly glanced at the fridge...that's why he hadn't wanted her to
look in it. "How much more do you have??" She pulled open the door
without a word, seeing another six-pack. She moved to the cabinet and
saw another bottle of vodka. "My God. Dave...you can't..." She picked
it up off of the shelf, enraged, and threw it into the sink, the
bottle smashing loudly and draining of its contents.

"Abby!"

"Don't 'Abby' me, Dave!" she yelled. "You could've came to me, and we
could've gone to a meeting. We could've gotten past this - "

"This isn't about you!" he retorted.

"No!" she agreed. "This is about *you* throwing your entire recovery
out the window!! Do you have any idea how dangerous this is!"

"It's just a couple drinks!" he exclaimed. "It's not like I'm using.
I'm not the drunk around here!"

She was shocked by the words, and she knew he could tell - that was
the intent, after all. But she'd heard them before, when he'd been
convinced John had left him for a lecture in California, the same
night he'd confessed to traumatic violence committed by his father.
And she'd known that he'd said the words to hurt her. It hadn't worked
then, and she'd be damned before she let it work now. Almost roughly,
she grabbed his wrist. "Dave, we're going to a meeting."

"I'm not going anywhere!" he snapped, yanking his wrist away.

"Yes, you are! I'm your sponsor, and it's my responsibility to - "

"My sponsor?!! You're a drunk!" he hissed. "You're a fucking drunk! I
bet I'm not the only one drinking, am I??"

She was shocked into silence. How could he know that she'd been
drinking for so long now, she'd been so careful to hide it from him -
from everyone. Christ, he couldn't know her *that* well, could he? But
before she could even reply, he was stepping closer to her, into her
personal space. "Am I, Abby??"

"I'm not drinking."

"Then why can't you look me in the eye when you say that?" he asked
her, trying to get her to meet his stare. "Look me in the eye then.
Look me in the eye and tell me I'm wrong."

She looked up, looked him right in the eye. And then she averted her
gaze.

"I knew it!!" he exclaimed, almost smug with himself. "I knew you were
drinking. You think I didn't smell it on you today, Abby? I did, I
did. Once a drunk, always a drunk, right Abby??"

"This...this isn't about me, Dave," she reminded him, her voice
shaking, her heart broken by his words. She knew she should ignore
them, that he wasn't himself, but they'd still hurt her. "This is
about you. You're the one out of control here. You're drinking, and
it's - "

"Oh, so you drink and you can explain it away," he retorted angrily,
"but when I drink I'm 'out of control.' Yeah, okay, you hypocritical
bitch."

"We can fight about me later! I'm not what this is about!" she quickly
yelled, taking a step back and finding herself against the
refrigerator. She couldn't seem to regain control of the conversation,
although she wondered if she'd ever been in control in the first
place. "This is about you, remember?"

"Fine!" he exclaimed, irate. "Fine!! You want to talk about me?? Yes,
I'm drinking! I'm drinking and I'm having a great fucking time! You
want a drink, Abby?? You want to have a great fucking time??" He was
suddenly moving, pushing her forcibly away from the refrigerator so
hard she almost fell, and from the freezer he pulled out a bottle of
vodka. Now, to the cabinet, where he grabbed two glasses, pouring
vodka into each one and placing them down on the kitchen table. He
picked one up, almost as if to toast to her. "Come on, Abby. Why don't
you have a drink with me? You know I've never had a drink with you. I
think I'd like to drink with my best friend. What do you say??"

"Dave, please don't do this," she said, and was almost surprised to
find that more than anything would she love to get completely smashed
with him. She'd always thought it would be better to fall back into
her addiction with another addict by her side, but like Dave had said,
like she had said, this wasn't about her. This was about Dave, about
being his sponsor and his friend, and about keeping him safe.

"No??" he asked, sitting down at the table, kicking out the chair
opposite him with his foot, offering it to her. "You don't want to
drink with your best friend?"

"No!" she shouted. "I won't drink with you!"

"Why?" he asked. "You know you want it. Don't you?"

"I want to go to a meeting with you," she said, her voice thick,
scared to death of what he was saying, of what he was doing, of what
she might do if she couldn't get him to listen to her. "Dave, I need a
meeting, will you please take me to a meeting?"

"Don't you try that shit with me!" he screamed, slamming his glass
against the table and standing up so fast his chair fell backward.
"Don't use that psychology shit like I don't know what you're doing.
I'm not that fucking stupid!"

"Just put it away, okay??" she yelled back. "Just put the Goddamn
alcohol away, Dave! Is that straightforward enough for you?? Put it
away!!"

He smiled at her, the meanest, most vicious smile she'd ever seen, and
for that instant he didn't look like Dave. He looked like someone she
didn't know at all, and her heart rammed in her chest as this stranger
picked up his glass and drank the vodka right in front of her,
draining the tall glass in one long drink. When he was finished he
slammed the glass down so hard this time it cracked. He picked hers
up, bringing it to her and putting it right in her face.

"Drink it," he said, and he didn't even *sound* like Dave. "Drink it.
You know you want it."

"I don't!"

"Drink it!!"

"No!!"

"Drink it!!!"

"I don't want it!!" she screamed, her voice cracking.

"*Drink it!!!*" he screamed, practically shoving it to her lips.

She grabbed the glass from his hand, clutching it tightly in hers as
she stared down at the clear liquid. She breathed hard, licking her
lips without even realizing it, wanting it so badly she *ached* for
it. "I don't want it!!" she yelled, throwing it across the room,
smashing it to pieces against the wall. "Fuck you, Dave," she said,
her voice so thick she didn't sound like herself either, and she
turned to stare him in the eye - and that's when she noticed it for
the first time. His pupils were pinpoint, barely visible against the
dark brown of his eyes, and she realized he wasn't only drunk, he was
high. He was further gone than she'd so stupidly assumed, and she was
afraid to consider just how far.

"I need a meeting, Dave," she told him then with a quaking voice. "I
need a meeting, and I want you to take me. Please take me to a
meeting, Dave. I love you so much and I know you love me too, and I
want you to take me to a meeting. Will you take me to a meeting?"

"Oh, fuck you with the 'I love you' shit!" he yelled, turning away
from her in disgust. "It makes me sick. You don't love me, you just
want to change me, just like everybody else! Just like Luka, just like
John, just like my old man!!"

"I just want you to come to a meeting!" she pleaded, taking a deep
breath to calm herself down. She needed to be levelheaded, she needed
to be firm. She needed him to know she meant business, even if he
could pummel her into the wall with one quick fist. Because she
wouldn't let him wash his life down the drain like that, not after
nearly letting him do it before. "Dave, I'm not telling you again."

"And I'm not telling you again that I'm not leaving!" he shouted,
suddenly in her face and so close to her he was touching her. She
staggered back, alarmed, but her back hit the counter behind her as
she realized he was more than just drunk and high - he was dangerous.

"Dave, what are you on?" she asked so quietly she barely heard her own
voice.

"Nothing!" he snapped, closing the space she'd created between, his
face contorted with anger. "First I'm drinking, now I'm using??"

"Dave," she said, staring up at him. "I'm a nurse, for God's sake. I
know when someone's using. Just tell me what you're on."

"I'm not on anything!" he shouted, poking a finger into her chest.

"Don't touch me," she warned, slapping his hand away.

"I'll touch you all I want!" he retorted, startling her, even more so
when he pushed her, digging the counter into her back.

"Stop it, Dave!"

Another push. "Stop telling me what to do!"

"Dave!"

"Fuck you!"

She reached out, slapping him hard across the face, hoping to snap him
out of it, shake him out of his violent tantrum. She hit him harder
than she knew she could, his head snapping to the side, and for a
minute she'd figured out how to freeze time because everything just
stopped. But then he looked at her, eyes blazing a fiery brown with
anger, large hands grabbing the front of her shirt in clenched fists,
pulling her flush to him.

Abby closed her eyes tightly, waiting for the blow. "Dave!" she
shrieked, suddenly crying, unable to be strong anymore, to fight back
her tears. "Don't! Please, don't..." she sobbed. "Please don't hurt
me."

He didn't hit her, but he didn't let her go either. Cautiously, she
opened her eyes...he was just standing there, staring at her, and she
could almost see her words fluttering around in his head, registering
in his brain. And then he was stepping back, letting her go and facing
away from her, visibly breathing hard but silently, and he seemed to
be waiting for something but Abby didn't dare move first. Soon, he
did, his gesture startling her but not too surprising: most addicts,
whether it be alcohol or narcotics, turned to smoking sooner or later.
She had, she shouldn't have expected less from Dave.

But, as he cracked open one of the windows despite the freezing
temperatures outside, lighting up, she had to wonder how low and how
fast he was sinking. Dave had always been the one persistently trying
to get her to quit, adamant about her not smoking in the apartment to
get his point across. And now, here he was, expertly handling a
cigarette with an ease that suggested this wasn't his first time.

"I didn't know you smoked," she said, frantically wiping at her tears,
hardly able to think of anything else to say at a time like this.

"I don't. I'm just having a cigarette."

"You sound like me when I'm trying to quit." Her joke fell flat
against both their ears, mostly because she was still crying.

"Do you want one?"

"No." She took a deep, shaky breath. Glanced around the apartment; she
didn't know why. "When did you first start?"

"When I was seventeen," he stated, his gaze focused on something
beyond the window. "When...after I moved to Chicago, I mean." After
his father had raped him and nearly killed him, she thought, silently
filling in the blanks. Then, quietly: "Abby...could you please do me a
favor?"

Just as quietly: "What?"

"Please leave," he said, his voice quavering. "Please? I don't...I
just want to be alone."

"I love you, Dave." He shook his head, as if the implication was
ridiculous. "I do. Nothing's changed."

"Everything's changed, Abby," he said, his own voice thick with
emotion.

"But nothing's changed that," she promised.

"Abby, please go," he pleaded. "I just...I just want to..."

"Forget?"

"Yeah."

It scared her, more than anything, that he didn't try to hide it. And
if she didn't think it before, she knew she was in entirely over her
head now, knew that she needed to get help. So she nodded silently,
picking up her purse from the couch and crossing the room to the door.
She glanced back at him, watching him standing by the window, visibly
shaking, and she blinked back tears as she pulled open the door and
closed it behind her.

--------------------------------

Now the story's played out like this

Just like a paperback novel

Let's rewrite an ending that fits

Instead of a Hollywood horror

--------------------------------

It seemed as if the instant he'd fallen asleep, his private line was
ringing and echoing throughout his entire room. He ignored it
stubbornly, waiting for the machine to pick up and turning over in bed
as he did so, wrapping the covers tightly around him. Damn! he
thought, groaning into the pillow and clutching it tightly in his
fists. He'd left the machine at Dave's. But sooner or later, he mused,
whoever was calling would hang up, and he could drift away into sweet
blackness once more.

Later rather than sooner seemed to be more likely as the phone kept
ringing over and over. He muttered a string of obscenities as he
reached over and picked up the receiver, before slamming it right back
down. He smiled in the blissful silence, settling back into his
comfortable bed.

Sleep was approaching at the edges of his brain, ready to engulf his
mind, so close...

Yet so far as the phone burst through his peace. Angrily he lifted the
phone once more, hastily slamming it down again but missing, allowing
it to drop off the side of the nightstand and onto the floor. He could
distantly hear someone on the other side but soon there was silence,
and that was all that filled the room until he fell asleep.

--------------------------------

Nothing's wrong

Just as long

As you know that someday I will...

--------------------------------

He was standing next to a blonde woman that appeared to be only a few
years younger than himself. She could see from the way he was standing
- one hand braced against the wall, allowing him to lean dangerously
close to her - that he was flirting. And from the way she was coyly
smiling, her fingers playing with her necklace as a blush rose in her
cleavage, it was clear that she didn't mind at all.

Abby sighed as she approached Luka and the nameless blonde,
desperately trying to get his attention but he kept brushing her off
with a hard stare or a gesture. Finally, knowing there was hardly any
time to spare, she grabbed his sleeve and began pulling him away from
the woman. "I'm sorry, I just need to borrow him for a second."

"Abby, what is it??" he asked, annoyed. "Can't it wait?"

"No," she told him, and continued without hesitation. "It's about
Dave. I need your help."

Her words were met with a blink of surprise, but he soon recovered and
didn't even excuse himself from the woman he'd previously been so
engrossed with. "What's going on?"

"He's drinking, and he's using again," she blurted out, ready to admit
anything just to get *somebody* to listen to her. "I tried calling
John he keeps hanging up without even answering and now it's off the
hook. I even tried Dave's mother but I got the machine. Luka, I need
your help. I need - "

"What do you want me to do?" The question wasn't sarcastic or bitter,
angry or annoyed, and the sincerity in his voice made *her* blink in
surprise. "Abby, what can I do??"

"Come with me. And hurry...Luka, I can't lose my best friend."

--------------------------------

Someday, somehow

I'm gonna make it all right

But not right now

I know you're wondering when

--------------------------------

"I just. Want. To sleep!!" John cried, throwing back the covers as he
heard a series of knocks on his door. In boxers and an undershirt, he
groggily made his way to the door, flinging it open so hard it slammed
against the wall. "What is it??"

"I'm sorry to bother you, Dr. John," he heard timidly from his maid,
feeling a little bad for startling her but not enough to apologize.
"There's two guests downstairs who wish to speak with you. They say
it's urgent."

"Who?" he asked, perplexed as to whom would come to his home with
urgent news. "Patients?"

"No," she replied, shaking her head. "They said they work with you.
Abby Lockhart and Luka..."

"Kovac?" he asked, when she trailed off unable to recall the foreign
name. Now, even more confused: "What do they want that's so urgent?"

"I don't know," she stated, and he could tell she was beginning to get
annoyed with the interrogation. "They said it was about a friend.
That's all I - "

"A friend??" he asked, cutting her off. Because the only connection to
each of them he could make was one person, and he felt fear clutch at
his heart in a grip so tight he feared it had literally been
constricted from beating. "Dave? Something's happened to Dave??"

"I don't know!" she exclaimed. "But if you'd like to find out, Dr.
John, I suggest you ask *them*."

He didn't even bother to throw on a robe as he pushed past Corrine in
boxers and an undershirt, rushing down the hall to nearly trip down
the stairs in his haste. His mind was clouded with what could've
possibly happened to Dave: An accident? Was he hit by a car? Did a
patient assault him? Maybe even Brian coming back for revenge? And how
hurt was he? Was he - was he dead? Oh, God, Dave was dead and he'd
never see those deep eyes that he used to get lost in, or that
disarming smile that could brighten even his worst days, or...

So panic-stricken he thought he was going to be sick, his thoughts
came to a crashing halt as he saw Luka and Abby standing in the foyer,
their fidgeting movements and desperate eyes letting him know they
needed to do something and it needed to be done *fast*. So, quickly as
to waste no time, he asked, "What's going on?"

"Dave's drinking," Luka began, and Abby continued, "And we think he's
using again."

"What do you mean, you think?" he asked, half-incredulous. "You're not
sure? What exactly happened??"

"I went to his place and I found a bunch of empty bottles - beer,
vodka, whisky," she replied, almost desperately. "He was out of
control, he was violent. I looked into his eyes, Carter, he was on
something. I know he was, I could tell. And one of the last things he
said to me before I left was the he was going to 'forget.'"

"Forget," John repeated, the word leaving a bitter taste in his mouth.
"And you just left him??"

"Were you listening??" Luka asked, his tone displaying slight
annoyance. "She said he was *violent*. You can't expect her to handle
him herself, especially a tough, strong guy like Dave."

"I had no idea what he'd do to try to get what he wanted," she
confirmed. "John, I was scared."

"He would never hurt you!" John scoffed, incredulous. "You shouldn't
have left him like that!"

"You weren't there, John!" she insisted, shaking her head. She seemed
as if she was suddenly fighting back tears. "He didn't even *look*
like himself. He was so mean, he was so angry...he tried to hit me. He
scared the hell out of me. I needed help."

"You have help," he said, indicating Luka. "You obviously went to him
first."

"This isn't about you," Luka spat, disgusted.

"I tried you a dozen times!" Abby retorted as well. He remembered his
phone ringing insistently, remembered how he'd ignored it like a
selfish ass. "And Luka's right, this isn't about you, Carter," she
reminded him. What was he saying about being a selfish ass? "Now let's
go, there isn't time for this!"

"All right, let me just grab some clothes," he said, quickly turning
and darting up the stairs. Suddenly, he turned. "He still...lives at
the apartment?"

"Yeah," Abby told him. "He has no other place to go."

--------------------------------

You're the only one who knows that...

--------------------------------

Literally minutes later (a result of traveling at obscenely illegal
speeds), they stood outside of Dave's apartment, crowded in front of
the door as Abby knocked gently but urgently.

"Dave?" she called, her quick breathing audible. "Are you in there?"

Their beating hearts seemed to echo in the silence.

"Dave!" she called again, her voice quavering with worry. "Please,
open the door. Please??"

"Dave, if you do not open the door," Luka threatened, leaning closer
to the door, "I will break it."

"Relax," John said, slightly appalled at the suggestion; of course
Luka would resort to brute force. "I still have my keys."

Drawing their attention away from one another, the door opened but
only as far as the chain lock would allow. Dave stood there, looking
like an absolute wreck. John had never seen him like this, not even
after pulling a double without so much as a break and coffee. He
looked unwashed and unshaven and as if he hadn't eaten or slept in
weeks. His eyes were moving almost lazily over the three of them.
Obviously intoxicated too - on exactly what was the question. He
looked at Abby, blinking slowly. "You brought the reinforcements."

"They wanted to talk to you too," she replied.

"Sure," he scoffed, glancing off briefly. And in an instant the door
slammed closed, effectively startling them into a shocked silence.

"Dave!" Abby was the first to yell, her fist banging on the door.
"Open the door!"

"Leave me the fuck alone!!" they heard from within. "The hell do you
care what I do??"

"Dave, you know I care!" she exclaimed, the desperation ringing clear
in her voice. "You know I love you, more than anything."

"And those two are just here for show?" he asked bitterly. "You think
I'll let you in with temptation hanging off your arms??"

"Dave," John blurted out, before he even could consider what he wanted
to say. He still cared, he still loved Dave as much as Abby, loved him
on a completely different level. He wanted to say that, he decided,
and he wanted to apologize for being stubborn and stupid and an
asshole...but he couldn't take it all back. Not now, not like this.
And so the words caught in his throat, unwilling to roll past his
tongue, and he cursed softly as the ever-perceptible Dave picked up
his hesitation.

"Fuck you!" he yelled. "Fuck you, John. Fuck. You."

"Dave, let us in." That, from Luka. "Let us in or I swear I'll break
the door."

There was a pause before they heard the chain slip past, and then Dave
pulled open the door with a flourish, standing on unsteady feet and
gripping the doorknob for support. "It's down, Luka. Break the door
*down*. Now what do you want??"

"We just want to come in for a minute," Abby replied first, and
slinked past Dave before he could protest. The men followed her in, if
with hesitance, and John immediately allowed his eyes to travel over
the apartment. It looked just as he remembered it, except...different.
All of his things were still gone, nothing had replaced the empty
spaces. Had Dave been hoping for his return? Or was he just too
heartbroken to make this apartment solely his own? And he realized it
then, that Dave had given him his heart, and he'd broken it.

This was all his fault...

"Dave," he said, quietly, and the word was met with a glare. But he
didn't know what to say after that, so instead he simply asked, "What
are you doing?"

"The hell do you give a damn for?" he snapped right back. "You're not
a part of my life anymore."

"We just want to help," he stated, but he didn't know how or where to
begin. Because Dave was right: John wasn't a part of his life anymore.
He'd made sure of that the minute he'd packed up his things and left,
barely without a word. "We...Dave, I...even if..." He paused,
frustrated, trying to find the right words and failing miserably. "I
still...care."

"Yeah, right," was the harsh reply. "Yeah, sure. You still care. Of
course you do! And I bet Luka here still does too. Yeah, sure!"

"Dave," Luka began, stepping forward slightly.

"No!" he shouted, his breathing heavy as his fingers brushed a bead of
sweat away from his brow. "No! All this was ever about was who had the
bigger balls! You two never cared about me. I was never your friend,
even when I tried to be! You wouldn't even be my friend."

He stopped, suddenly, backing off, pacing the room. Rubbing at his
skin and running his fingers through his hair, tugging at the ends.
Constantly moving. His three companions exchanged nervous glances.

"Dave, that's not true," Luka said calmly. "You know you could come to
us about anything."

"Bullshit!!" he yelled, pointing, but even then he still paced. "Abby
was the only one who ever gave a damn about me. She was my friend
because she cared - " His voice broke and he had to stop, but in an
instant he'd recovered, continuing as calmly as he was capable of
right now. "She was my friend because she cared. Not because I would
fuck her or because she could use me. Because she cared." He looked at
her with tears threatening to fall. "She's a good person...she
understands, she always understands. She doesn't use people...not like
we do..."

"We care!" John nearly shouted, taking a step forward, but Dave took a
quick step back. "Dave, I swear to God I care."

"Oh, please!" he retorted. "Yeah, your word's always fucking Gospel.
Just like you'd love me 'no matter what'??" A rebel sob escaped his
throat, and he turned away, pacing more as he visibly fought to
maintain his rapidly dissolving composure. "You love me as long as I'm
perfect. As long as I don't disappoint you! The second it got too
hard, the second you couldn't handle it, you left! You always left!!
That's not love! You never loved me!! You were ashamed of me, always."

"No! I was never shamed of you, I - "

"Liar!!" he screamed, turning back to them, his face contorted with
fury. "You're such a fucking liar! I heard you, when your mother saw
us! I heard what you said! You didn't think I did, and I never let you
know I did, but I did, I did. You said that you loved me and she said
I was scum! Scum!! And do you remember what you said, John?? Do you
remember what you said?!!"

He shook his head, feeling a stinging in his eyes. "No." But he did
know; he remembered his cowardice and hated himself for it.

"You said, 'He's not that bad,'" he stated, his voice thick as his jaw
quivered, as tears brimmed his eyes. "'He's not that bad.' What's one
level above scum, John? Trash? Dirt?? Shit?! Which is it??"

"Dave - "

"Don't 'Dave' me!" He pursed his lips, as if he wanted to say more,
but soon he stopped and began moving again. Red marks formed on his
skin as his nails moved roughly across his flesh.

John's brow furrowed as he remembered the night Dave had scared him
shitless in the bathroom. He'd been on drugs then, itchy skin a side
effect. One he hadn't picked up on then. Now, he asked, "Dave, why are
you scratching?"

"John, why are you asking??" he retorted bitterly, his hands
immediately falling to his sides. But they were clenched tight,
fighting the urge to scratch, scratch, scratch. "You don't care about
Chicago scum! Just leave me alone!! All of you!"

"Dave," Abby tried, but he cut her off before she could get out
another word.

"No! I want you to leave!" he shouted. "All of you! Get out!!"

"Even me?" Abby asked.

"What, do you think you're special?" he snapped. "Because you're not.
You're not that pretty, and you're not that special. Remember, Abby??
Luka was right after all!"


She winced at his words, remembering sharing her breakup with Luka to
Dave, Dave doing the same in turn. And now he was throwing it in her
face, trying to twist the knife, and even if she refused to believe he
was really himself and really wanted to help him, his words still cut
through her. But she ignored them, stating firmly, "Dave. We're not
leaving."

"Abby's right," Luka stated evenly. "We aren't leaving. And don't talk
to her like that, she's only trying to help you."

"But you can talk to her like that?" Dave asked. "You said it first,
not me. Save the innocent act, Luka, it isn't working."

"None of us here are innocent," Luka replied oh so gallantly.

"Of course not," Dave retorted, holding up his hands in mock
surrender. "Of course not. You're only here because of your dirty
little secret, right? So's John, that's all I ever was to you two, the
dirty little secret no one can know about. I wonder what your wife
would think, knowing you fucked somebody like me."

"Dave - " Abby warned, but Luka cut her off.

"Leave my wife out of this," Luka said as calmly as he could, but Dave
was satisfied to see a flush of anger rise in his cheeks. "This is
about you, Dave."

"Maybe it shouldn't be," he said. "Maybe it should be about you. Maybe
it should be about John. Ever wondered which one of you was better in
bed?"

He was smirking. He was smug. It was sickening, but it wasn't Dave.
And John realized just how far gone he had to be to end up
like...this. Mean. Angry. Scary. "Dave," he said quietly. "Stop this
now. Stop trying to push us away, it's not working. We aren't leaving
so just stop it."

"Why??" he asked, almost in exasperation. "You guys are *really*
killing my buzz, you know that? Fine, if you want - stay. You can get
fucked up with me! You guys do know Abby's drinking again, right?"

She could see them look at her out of her peripheral vision, but she
stayed focused on Dave. "This isn't about me, Dave."

"No, I guess we can do your intervention tomorrow," he stated, smiling
as if he were amused by the whole situation. He indicated the kitchen.
"But right now, I'm going to pop some more pills, and wash them down
with a whole fucking lot of alcohol." Suddenly he was serious. "So get
the fuck out of my apartment."

"I think you've done enough for one night," Luka stated, the first one
to be able to find his voice.

"Christ, save it for somebody who gives a shit!" Dave exclaimed,
disgusted. "This is my life and I can do what I want!! Just get out!!"

"We're not leaving," Abby yelled over him.

"The hell you aren't! This is my apartment, and I want you to leave!!"

"I still pay most of the rent," John blurted out, in an attempt to
force Dave to allow them to stay. But the words seemed to infuriate
the younger man more than he'd thought they would.

"I knew it!" he exclaimed. "I knew you were going to throw that in my
face! You think I'm less than you just because you're rich, just
because you grew up in some huge fucking mansion."

"That has nothing to do with anything," John told him. "I'm just
saying this is still half my apartment."

"You don't even live here anymore!!"

"I still pay more than half of the rent!" John said firmly. "So if I
want to stay, I can stay. And Luka and Abby can stay too, if I say
so."

"Fine!" Dave yelled, suddenly in motion and moving to the hall closet,
pulling out his coat. "Then *I'll* leave, and you can - "

"Enough!!" Luka's voice exploded throughout the apartment enough to
leave a slight echo in its wake, startling all in surprise and
probably some neighbors too. Swiftly, he strode to Dave, grabbing his
arm roughly and pulling him toward the door. "We're taking you to the
hospital."

"Fuck you!" he yelled, trying to pull out of Luka's grasp but it was
strong enough to bruise. "Let go of me! Don't touch me! Don't fucking
touch me!"

"Dave, Luka's right," Abby cut in. "You need - "

"I don't need anything!" he shouted, pushing Luka away from him and
backing up a few steps. "I don't need a doctor, I don't need a drunk
telling me what to do, and I don't need you two touching me and
pushing me around like I'm some kind of trophy you won!!"

"No one is pushing you around," Luka stated. "We're only trying to
help you. Don't talk about us like that, especially Abby. You know she
loves you, show her some respect."

"Save it, Luka," Dave spat. "I'll say whatever I want in my own
fucking home!"

"Screw you!" he exclaimed. "I don't need your help. I lived without
all of you before, and I can do it again! This is your fault, all of
your faults, I was fine before any of you came into my life!"

"So you admit you aren't fine now," Abby stated, desperately. "If you
need help, Dave - "

"I said I didn't need help!" he said. "I don't need anything. Stop
twisting my words. Just get out! Don't come near me, Luka! Don't touch
me!"

"Dave, you need to go to the hospital," he said, stepping closer to
the younger man, but it was apparent Dave was feeling more and more
like a caged animal ready to bite the hand of whomever dared to stick
it inside his small prison. And, daringly (and perhaps stupidly), Luka
reached out with one hand, ready to grab him in an instant's notice.

But Dave was faster, and suddenly Luka was reeling back, the right
hook to his cheek so swift he only saw it coming when it was too late.
Abby shrieked as he stumbled into the end table and knocked over the
lamp, the soft carpet muting the crash as it shattered on the floor.
Dave quickly moved around him, trying to get out the door but Abby was
standing before it.

"Move!" he yelled, and while her terror was strong, her friendship was
stronger, and she didn't budge and inch. "I said move!!" Roughly he
grabbed her by her shirt, audibly tearing the fabric and pulling her
away from the door, pushing her towards John, who only barely stopped
her from falling as he caught her.

"Dave!" he exclaimed, hastily moving Abby aside and grabbing the
younger man's sleeve. "You're not leaving!"

"You can't stop me!!"

"Yes, I can!" he replied, willing to do anything to keep Dave from
walking out that door. Who knew where he would end up, or whom he
would end up with, or what he would end up doing. He was walking a
fine line, and in his inebriated - and high - state, he was without a
shadow of a doubt unable to continue walking that line without losing
his balance. And when he fell, he would fall hard, maybe hard enough
to not be able to get back up ever again. John would be damned before
he let that happen.

He knew he'd been asking for it, and so he wasn't surprised when Dave
came at him full force, so hard they tumbled to the floor in a heap.
John felt his head slam against the wood beneath the carpet, knocking
him senseless for an instant, long enough for Dave to straddle him and
punch him hard across the jaw. He cried out with a short yelp of pain,
before another blow came, this time to his stomach, the air escaping
his lungs and leaving him desperately short of breath.

"Dave!" Abby yelled, placing both hands on one of his shoulders to
pull him away from John, but he raised one arm and backhanded her
hard, deterring further efforts she might've had planned. Luka moved
quickly to her, but John couldn't see what he was doing. Probably
helping her, he thought sourly, while he was the one over here getting
pounded on. Thankfully, Abby soon exclaimed: "Help Carter!"

"Dave, stop it!" John cried, as another punch came at his chest. His
arms were raised in an attempt to stop the rain of blows, or at least
to cushion the intensity of them. But it wasn't working, and he knew
something needed to be done fast. And then Luka was there, wrapping
his arms around Dave, but the young man almost effortlessly elbowed
Luka right in the nose, blood spurting onto Dave's fist, Luka's shirt,
John's face. The Croatian fell back, clutching at his nose with a yelp
of pain. Dave barely hesitated before he was hitting John again, who
wasn't sure how much more he could take. Blindly, he reached out,
found Dave's neck. Briefly he considered how easy it would be to wrap
his hands around it, constrict his airway, force him away and possibly
into unconsciousness. But instead he trailed his fingers up, until he
was cradling Dave's face in his hands, holding him there and forcing
Dave to look at him. "Dave, please! Stop it! I just want to help you!
You're hurting me, please!!"

His fist paused in midair, and he seemed equally shocked and horrified
at what he had done, his eyes wide and his breathing heavy. His
fingers uncoiled as if, if they remained in a fist, he would be too
tempted to inflict more violence upon the man beneath him, the man
that had once been his lover, his friend. He gasped, audibly, another
rebel sob escaping his throat, this one of agony, and John idly wiped
away the foreign tear that had landed on his own cheek.

Quickly, Dave moved away, pushing himself back on the floor until his
back hit the wall. Even then, it was almost as if he tried to move
into the wall, as if he were trying to become one with it, to become
invisible against the cream-colored walls. He buried his face in his
hands, his knees pulled up against his chest. His pathetic sobs almost
echoed throughout the apartment.

Silently, John recovered, sitting up and regaining his bearings,
shaking off the brief beating with a few flicks of his head. He
glanced at his companions: Abby leaning against the back of the couch
and holding her face, silent tears making their way down her cheeks;
Luka on the floor, his hand still to his furiously bleeding nose; and,
finally, Dave...

John didn't hesitate to move to his side, kneeling before him, feeling
the stinging of his skin as he moved but ignoring the impending
bruises. And even though Dave had just nearly been about to beat him
to a bloody pulp, John wasn't afraid of him, wouldn't allow himself to
be. Because this was Dave, the same man who he'd cuddled up with on
that couch to watch television, the same man who had taken hour-long
baths with him, the same man that had so gently made love to him in a
previous life. This was *his* man. And he was going to be there for
him, no matter what, just like he'd promised so long ago.

"Dave?" he asked, reaching out a tentative hand to his shaking form.
Gently, he touched his neck, his face still buried in his hands.
"Dave, it's all right now."

"I'm so sorry," he said, moving the hand away from his face so that he
could grip John's wrist, almost as if he were afraid he'd let go and
be gone forever. But John wasn't going to leave him, not this time.
Not ever again. "I'm so sorry, John," he continued, his body
trembling, his chest heaving with sobs, a mess of the man he used to
be. "I didn't...I just...I'm sorry. My, God, I'm so...I'm so fucked
up. I just...I felt like I was going crazy, I couldn't...I just had
enough...I took enough, I can't...John, I took too much."

The words were garbled, tripping over one another, but suddenly his
rambling took on a new meaning. Alarmed, he asked, "What do you mean?
Dave, what did you take??"

"Too much."

Abby whispered, "Oh, my God..." just as Luka quickly pulled his
cellular phone out of his pocket.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Dave cried, tears falling down his cheeks
and trailing to his jaw, where they dropped to his clothes, creating
abstract patterns as erratic as the beating of John's heart. Suddenly
Dave was hysterical, collapsing into John's arms, who held on to him
tight. And in one breath he realized that the young man wasn't only
crying - he was struggling to breathe. "I'm so sorry, John. I never -
I never wanted this. I wanted it to be perfect...I...but Weaver yelled
at me and I keep - hurting everyone, and you...you left and I - I
couldn't...I'm so sorry, John, I'm so - sorry. I never...I...John,
I..."

He trailed off into silence as he stilled against John, and for one
instant he thought Dave had died. And in that instant, he realized how
much he had lost and could never get back again. Dave was dead and the
life they'd only just begun to build together was gone, forever. And
he began to cry, hysterical now too as he checked Dave's pulse. When
he finally found it, it was weak and erratic but it was there, much
like his love for Dave. Now, he cried but for a different reason,
because his Dave was still alive and he still had a chance to fix what
he'd undone.

"John..." Abby's voice, broken by tears. "Is he...?"

"He's okay now, but we need to find out what he took. Abby, try to
find what he took. He used to hide pills in the cabinet behind the
mirror. Go!" he ordered, looking up at her, seeing Luka at her side,
cell phone off but still in hand. "He'll be okay. Help...help me,
Luka. Help me get him up. We have to get him to the hospital."

"I called an ambulance," Luka told him, his voice awfully nasal as he
leaned down and hooked his arms under Dave's. "It should be arriving
soon."

"No, no ambulance," John stated firmly, shaking his head. "Dave
doesn't like ambulances. Call back and cancel the run, just...get
Kerry on the phone and tell her what's happening, and tell her to get
a private room. I don't want anyone to know about this."

"I found it!" they heard Abby yell from the bathroom, before she raced
into the living room. "It's Demerol. He took Demerol."

"How much?"

She shook the bottle. No sound emitted from within it, and she looked
up at them, horrified.

"How much did he take?" John persisted. "Abby, how much??"

"There were thirty pills in the bottle," she stated, devastated.
"Thirty pills in three days."

"Three days at most," Luka said. "Who knows how much he took at a
time? How much he took tonight??"

"Enough," John repeated, kissing Dave's damp forehead before looking
back up at his companions. "Abby, get wet towels, we need to try to
wake him and keep him conscious." He looked back to his lover, gently
shaking him. "Dave? Dave, wake up, I need you to wake up for me. Do
you hear me? Wake up, babe. Wake up."

Abby was back with wet towels, gently running them over the hot skin
on Dave's face as Luka knelt beside Dave and roughly rubbed his fist
against his sternum. Dave groaned, brushing away Luka's hand as he
shifted in John's arms. "Hurts..."

"Dave?" John asked. "Dave, I need you here, okay? I need you to stay
with us. Can you tell me how many pills you took? How many Demerols
did you take?"

"I don't know..." he said, his words stretching out into a whine.
"Just leave me alone..."

"Dave, it's very important," he insisted. "How many did you take??"

"Half..." he mumbled, his eyes closed, his brow furrowed. "Half
the...half the bottle..."

"Fifteen," Abby blurted out. "He took about fifteen. Jesus Christ."

"Shit," John breathed, before looking up at Luka, who was holding one
of the towels to his nose, a spreading red stain forming on it. "Luka,
help me get him into the Jeep. We need to get him to the hospital
*now*."

"All right," Luka replied, and was soon calling the hospital once
more, asking for Kerry to personally cancel the call and then
explaining to her what was going on as carefully as she was probably
listening. Together, they carried Dave down the stairs, gladly without
any neighbors seeing them. Lord only knew how much of a bigger mess
they'd have on their hands if they had to explain why they were nearly
dragging a half-conscious Dave down the stairs and to Abby's sedan.
She climbed in the back with him, John at the wheel and Luka in the
passenger's side, nursing his swollen and bloody nose.

Dave groaned in the backseat, clutching at his stomach and curling up
into as much of a ball as he could in the confinement of the car.

"Dave, honey, are you okay?" Abby asked him, knowing he was far from
fine but not knowing what else to say. She brushed back the hair from
his head, which was in her lap. "It's okay, Dave. You'll be okay."

He groaned again. "Hurts so bad."

"I know it does, sweetie," she said to him, exchanging a worried
glance with John in the rearview mirror. "We're getting you help."

Suddenly he was sobbing, startling her. "I didn't mean to. I did but I
didn't want to. I don't want to anymore, Abby, I don't want to."

"It's okay, you don't have to," she soothed, even if she didn't know
what he didn't want to do. "You don't have to do anything."

"Please, I don't want to die."

Realization dawned on her as Luka looked to the backseat and John
exchanged another glance with her, and surely they must've realized
the same thing. Softly, she asked, "Dave, did you do this on purpose?"

"I'm so sorry," he cried, and then moaned, closing his eyes tightly as
he clutched his stomach. "I don't want to die anymore. God, it
hurts...I think I'm..."

"Dave, it's okay, just hold on, okay?" Abby said, just as his eyes
began to flutter closed. She rubbed his back almost roughly with her
hand. "Just stay awake, okay? Stay awake, Dave."

"I can't," he told her, breathing heavily. "I'm so tired. I just want
to sleep, Abby..."

"You can't," John blurted out, turning to look at him in the backseat,
his expression showing his absolute desperation. "Dave, you have to
stay awake. Please, stay awake."

"Can't..."

His eyes slid closed, despite Abby shaking him hard.

"Dave, please..."

"I can't wake him up!" Abby exclaimed. "Dave, come on.

"Wake him up, Abby!" John yelled, his voice trembling.

"I'm trying!" she yelled back, slapping Dave's face softly at first,
then just as hard as she had in his kitchen earlier tonight. Still, he
didn't respond. Luka reached back, rubbing Dave's chest with his fist
harder than he had before, but again there was no response. "Nothing,"
Abby said. "He's still breathing, but...Goddamn it, are we almost
there??"

"Almost," Luka replied. "Just a few more turns."

"Please, hold on, Dave," John whispered to himself, as he sped
judiciously to the hospital, where fate awaited them as surely as the
building itself.

--------------------------------

How the hell'd we wind up like this?

And why weren't we able

To see the signs that we missed?

And try to turn the tables

--------------------------------

He laid unconscious on a hospital bed up in General Medicine, a
supposed John Doe on the nurse's board but a David Malucci in reality.
IVs ran from his arm and to the machine, along with leads and other
various lines monitoring him and making sure he remained stable. All
was silent, and Dave very well could've been dead, but the reassuring
*blips* of monitors told them otherwise.

Them being Abby and John, who now remained inside room 420 West, the
twentieth room on the fourth floor in the west wing of the hospital.
Luka had left long ago to finish up his double-shift, along with Kerry
Weaver (who had, graciously, promised to remain quiet about the
situation at least for now). So together they sat in visitors chairs
at Dave's bedside, silent. Waiting.

"We..." John began softly, clearing his throat slightly before
continuing. "We could've lost him tonight. He should be dead. If it
wasn't for you, he would be."

"Yeah," Abby agreed, gently squeezing Dave's hand.

"He could've died."

"Yeah."

"He could've died drunk, and high, and alone," he continued almost
idly. "And I probably would've done the same."

She turned to him curiously. "What do you mean?"

"I still love him," he admitted so quietly Abby barely heard him. "I
love him, and I can't live without him."

She refrained from bitterly reminding him that he was already living
without Dave, that John had already lost him. But she bit her tongue,
and instead asked, "So what are you going to do?"

"I don't know," he replied. "In the movies, the hero always wins him
back, right?"

"Yeah."

He only nodded in the silence of the night.

--------------------------------

Now the story's played out like this

Just like a paperback novel

Let's rewrite an ending that fits

Instead of a Hollywood horror

--------------------------------

He felt...fuzzy. Not in the furry animal kind of way, but almost as if
he were made out of static. He could nearly imagine himself as the
disjointed picture of a television image with bad reception, the
buzzing in his ears his own white noise. Briefly, he wondered if he
was dead. Was this what it was like? There was no divine intervention,
no face of God, just...loose, noisy, fuzzy molecules floating through
space.

Abruptly, he was overcome with a sense of panic. Surely he couldn't
have gone through everything in his twenty-eight years just to
inevitably be reduced to the same thing that stuck your socks together
after the laundry was done.

Maybe, he considered, this was Hell.

Startling with a short cry, Dave opened his eyes and immediately
checked himself. With bursts of air exploding from his lungs, he
discovered that he was very much solid (except maybe for his head,
which was still full of buzzing cotton).

Assured that his body wasn't going to pull apart into nothingness any
time soon, he then turned his attention to his surroundings. A white
room. No windows. One bed. Fortunately, nothing was padded, although,
admittedly, he wouldn't have been surprised to find himself in a
straightjacket due to his recent, erratic behavior.

Wait.

Recent behavior. Especially last night. Drinking all that alcohol.
Taking all those pills. Then...nothing.

A white room. White walls. One bed - a hospital bed.

County. He was at County.

Oh, God, what had he done??

"Dave?"

"Abby," he nearly exclaimed, turning fast to see her enter with
another nurse. There was a bruise on the side of her face, but he
didn't dare consider where it was from just yet as she told the other
nurse to get Dr. Weaver. She crossed the room to him, immediately
taking his hand in hers. He asked her, "How did I get here? What
happened??" Now, he indicated her face, gently reaching up to touch
the marred skin but quickly pulling away, almost as if he would
inflict more pain upon her through simple touch. Softly, "What did I
do?"

Her brow furrowed. "You don't...remember?"

He began to shake his head but paused, his own brow knotting. He
glanced off, vaguely remembering Luka in his apartment. Yelling.
Crying. Luka grabbing him. Collapsing in his arms. No - John's arms.
John had been there too. John...suddenly his eyes widened and he
looked to her with horror. "I hurt him. I hurt John. I...I remember. I
hurt him. Is he - ?"

"He's fine," she cut in, but it didn't quell his trepidation one bit.
"He'll come by soon, I'm sure, and then you can see for yourself."

"I hurt all of you," he said then, his lashes falling as he pulled his
hand out of hers, his face flushing with shame, tears falling from his
eyes that he almost angrily wiped away. "I hit you."

"It's okay."

"No, it isn't," he told her, his voice edged with disgust at his own
actions, hardly able to believe the memories flashing before him had
been seen through his own eyes. A sob passed his lips, his body
shaking as he fought to control them, but he couldn't stop crying. "I
hurt...you. I hurt all of you. I keep..."

"You keep what?" she asked, when he trailed off. Finally, he was able
to control his emotions, and managed to shrug deceptively in that way
he did, and while it always frustrated Abby she wondered what it
would've been like to never be frustrated again, because he would've
been dead. Somehow, she couldn't imagine not getting annoyed with her
best friend ever again. "Dave, you were..."

"Fucked up?" he continued for her, when she couldn't find the word.
"God, I...I even *said* things that were...I'm sorry. God, how...how
could I do that! I'm so sorry, Abby, I'm so sorry."

"Don't be," she assured him, the firmness in her voice causing him to
look up at her. "You were only telling the truth. You said things we
all needed to hear."

"I still feel like an asshole," he stated, looking back to his hands.
"I feel like...for the first time, I really...feel like...my old man."

"Dave, don't," she told him, leaning close and forcing him to meet her
eye. "Dave, you had no control over what you did or said. I...Dave,
*I'm* sorry."

"For what??" he asked, wondering what she could possibly have felt
sorry for. "I mean, unless your face broke one of my knuckles or
something," he added. "Then maybe I could understand why."

"I'm sorry for leaving you when I shouldn't have," she replied,
ignoring his sarcasm. "I could've convinced you to go to a meeting. To
just come over my place, to...I don't know, anything than what
happened."

"Abby..." he said, feeling guilty for, once again, dragging her down
into the mess he was too fucked up to take care of. "This isn't your
fault. I would've never gone with you, never, and you know that. If
you stayed I would've hurt you. Shit, I *did*."

"I swear, Dave, when you passed out..." she trailed off, before
looking at him with wet eyes. "I thought you'd died." She covered her
mouth as she began to cry, before quickly composing herself. "We all
did. And we...I knew there'd been something more I could've done to
stop it from happening. But I brushed off the warning signs and I..."

"Stop," he said softly. "Abby, it wasn't your fault. I made my own
choices. Not you, or John, or anybody - *me*."

She reached out and touched the side of his face with gentle
fingertips, leaning close to rest her forehead against his. Very, very
sweetly she kissed him, before whispering thickly, "Don't you ever do
that again. I love you, Dave...I love you too much. Please, promise
me."

"I won't, I swear to God," he told her. "But now you gotta promise me
something."

"Anything."

"Can we...talk about you?" he asked, hesitantly. "I mean...your
drinking? Not now, but, you know...some time. Maybe go to a meeting or
something. You know...if you want."

She looked at him, smiling through tears. "You are such a great guy. I
could fall in love with you."

"It happens to everybody at one time or another," he joked with a
shrug, smiling with her. "But don't change the subject. Promise me."

"I promise."

"*Ahem*!" Hastily they pulled away from one another, turning to see
Dr. Weaver standing in the doorway, looking slightly abashed for
intruding. "Sorry. We just heard you were awake."

We. The word registered the moment he saw Luka and John enter the room
right behind her, Luka's nose visibly swollen even with a bandage
covering it, a cut on John's cheek and another black-and-blue mark on
his lip, which was also swollen. His heart dropped as he saw the
violence he'd inflicted upon his best of friends, his only friends,
and he considered just how lucky he was that they were still around.
At least he hoped so, the two men that had just entered had yet to
give him a verdict on that one.

"Dr. Malucci."

He focused on Kerry fast. "Dr. Weaver," he replied, half-wincing at
what was to come. Quickly, he began to ramble, his words tripping over
one another in his haste. "Look, I know there's no relapsing allowed,
and I'm really sorry, and I know I breached the contract between you
and me and Dr. Greene, but if you give me another chance - again - I
swear I won't screw up, and - "

"Dave." He stopped, holding his breath without realizing it, waiting
for her to tell him the inevitable: That he was as lousy as a person
as he was a doctor, and deserved no more chances than the ones he'd
already gotten. He'd gone too far this time, had slipped up one too
many times. He was at the end of his rope, and at that end was a
tailor-made noose with which he could now conveniently hang himself.
But, instead, she said, "I'm sorry."

For a moment, he wondered if he was at an AA meeting. Everybody was
suddenly so very sorry. He glanced at Abby, who offered a very
Dave-like deceptive shrug.

"What do you mean?" he dared to ask. "You're sorry because
I'm...fired?" Jeeze, he could barely say it!

"No, I'm sorry because I missed this, because I was so determined to
dislike you," she stated. Only Dr. Weaver, he thought, had the balls
to admit something like that. Directness and bluntness were not only
words that could be used to describe himself, although he wasn't
nearly as graceful about it.

"I thought all this time you were just hiding your secret lust for
me," he said, in an attempt to hide his secret nervousness.

"Dave."

"Sorry," he apologized quickly, studying his hands. "And I'm sorry for
taking the drugs...and if...you know...you don't want me to work here
anymore...if I have to resign, or if you just want to fire me...I'll
understand."

"You won't have to resign, and nobody's getting fired." He glanced up
at her in surprise, startled for a moment before he saw a bright spark
in her eyes. "As far as I'm concerned, this will never go to the
review committee as long as you do what I say: Now that you've detoxed
here, you will go to a thirty day inpatient treatment program to be
followed by starting all over with your meetings, which you will go to
every single day for the next ninety days. Oh, and, by the way, your
suspension is now a vacation with which you will get back pay for."
She pursed her lips, hesitating briefly before turning, and then she
turned back, looking at him with caring eyes full of so much concern
he had to look away. "Dave...use the time in the treatment program to
find real recovery. You're better than this."

"I..." He didn't know what to say to such genuine kindness and
consideration, especially with the way he had treated her ever since
arriving to County two years ago. He managed to find his voice,
however, sputtering, "I will, I promise. Thank you. I don't...I mean.
Thanks."

"You can leave when you're ready. Get a good night's rest at home, and
we'll talk about your treatment tomorrow at ten A.M." She smiled
warmly. "Now I have work to get back to. Excuse me."

He watched her leave, and the instant she was gone he let out a sigh
of relief that must've started at his small intestines, deflating
himself against the hospital bed. "Wow," he said, awestruck. "I don't
think I deserved that." Sheepishly, he looked to Luka and John, his
eyes straying to their bruises. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said
or what I...did. I never...I just...I'm really sorry. I didn't want to
hurt any of you. I didn't mean to."

"It's all right," Luka stated. "We all did what we had to, we were all
surviving in that apartment, the best way we knew how. It was for the
best." The Croatian doctor glanced at John then, before looking back
to Dave. "Not just this, but everything. You've opened our eyes and
we're grateful. And very sorry."

John nodded in agreement but remained silent, contemplating the
significance behind Luka's words. Contemplating the significance
behind Dave's words back in the apartment. He'd been right to yell at
Luka and John for acting like schoolchildren willing to fight over who
owned what part of the playground. John could recall his penchant to
try to outdo Luka, especially in Dave's eyes. He could also remember
trying to outdo Luka, rubbing in whatever victory as much as he could,
no matter how small. And Dave, in some ways, had been a victory. A
trophy. And he knew, in his heart, he'd treated Dave as such. Maybe
only sometimes, but that was still far too frequent.

"I broke your nose," Dave said now to Luka, his expression showing his
guilt. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for everything I did and said..."

"It'll heal," Luka replied. "Everything will heal, Dave."

"What if it doesn't look the way it used to?"

"Then..." Luka began, searching for an answer. "Then I'll look
distinguished."

"I'll pay for the surgery."

Luka nodded, grinning even though it hurt his nose. "That will work
too."

Dave grinned as well, chuckling softly before his face scrunched up.
Quickly he looked away, wiping away frantically at his tears. "I'm
sorry I'm such a mess. I just want to go home." He took a deep breath,
regaining his composure quickly, but his voice was still shaky.
"Uh...so I guess I can get rid of the IVs and stuff, right? If,
uh...if anybody wants to make anything up to me...I could use a ride
home."

He glanced up, smiling slightly at his own joke, but it was met with
awkward silence. He glanced up at Abby hopefully, but she shook her
head. "My car broke down yesterday."

More silence. Dave actually considered the fact that he was going to
be stuck walking all the way home in his still slightly fuzzy state
when Luka piped up: "I'm still on shift, but I'm sure I can ask Kerry
for a few moments to drop you off if - "

"Carter can do it," Abby suggested, interrupting Luka's train of
thought. "He's got his Jeep outside. He'll take you home. Right,
Carter?"

"Uh, yeah," he said, timidly. "Sure."

"Unless it'll be a, uh...problem," Dave said, sensing a sort of
disquiet in the room that he couldn't put his finger on.

"No, no problem," John assured him, smiling. "No problem at all."

When they were gone, Luka turned to Abby, gently reaching out to touch
her bruised jaw. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah," she replied, nodding.

"You know..." Luka began, looking down at the floor, almost as if he
were embarrassed. "Something Dave said, back at his apartment...about
you not being pretty and special."

She glanced up at him, surprised he would mention it. Then she
wondered *why* he would mention it. She said, unable to keep the note
of curiosity out of her voice, "Yeah?"

"He was wrong," he stated, and then looked up at her, meeting her eye.
"*I* was wrong. I didn't mean it, when I said it. I was just angry,
and I wanted to hurt you. I'm sorry that I hurt you."

She shrugged, feeling the heat rise in her cheeks before turning away
and busying herself with her purse. "It's okay."

"It's not," he said, reaching out to place a hand on her arm. "I'm
sorry I hurt you."

She looked up at him. "I forgive you."

He smiled, and only then did she realize she was already doing so. She
cleared her throat, stepping back, and he did as well, running the
hand that had been on her arm through his hair. "Uh...if you need
someone to go with you to pick up your car later," Luka said then,
quickly changing the subject, "I can take you after my shift is over

She smiled up at him, pure mischief in her eyes. "My car's fine,
Luka."

"I thought..." He suddenly broke into a grin. "You're a very smart
woman, Abby."

"Trust me," she said. "I know."

--------------------------------

Nothing's wrong

Just as long

As you know that someday I will...

--------------------------------

The ride back to the apartment was unbearably quiet. After ten minutes
of just listening to the engine and the sound of his own heart beating
in his ears, Dave was pretty sure he was just going to break the
uncomfortable silence with a scream of frustration. Of course, he
remained silent, lest he want to startle John into crashing the Jeep.
And maybe also on account of the fact that he'd probably *really* end
up in a padded room should he prove to be as crazy as he'd been
feeling lately.

Another silent, tense ten minutes later, they pulled up to the
apartment building. Dave could remember the first time they'd ever
arrived here, arguing but still together. Now, they were alone, with
John having being guilted into dropping poor Dave off at home. Hardly
storybook romance, but then again, what in their relationship had
been?

There was a hesitation that felt mutual to Dave, both men sitting in
the car and waiting for the other to make the first move. Dave looked
at John, John looked at him. Dave glanced at that mouth, those perfect
lips, and knew he had to turn away before it was obvious that he was
staring. His gaze landed on his thighs, which he was subconsciously
rubbing with his hands, a nervous habit but he was suddenly afraid it
would be misread as something sexual. He stopped.

"How do you feel?" John asked, the first to break the silence.

"Fuzzy."

"Huh?"

"I'm all right," he assured John softly, nodding. "Do you, uh..." he
paused, the words stuck in his throat. He was beginning to feel
ridiculous. "Do you want to come up?"

Silence. He glanced at John, feeling even more ridiculous for asking
such a thing, saying, "Sorry," just as the older man replied, "Sure."

"If you don't - "

"Just to - " He could feel his face grow hot, eyes cast down as he
paused, waiting for John to continue before he'd consider opening his
mouth again. Soon, the other man took his cue, continuing, "Just to
make sure you get inside okay."

"Yeah, okay...thanks."

He pushed open the passenger's side door, stepping out onto the cold
sidewalk and closing the door behind him. Stuffing his hands into his
coat pockets, he paused until John was beside him before walking to
the lobby of the apartment, acutely aware of how John's arm kept
brushing against his own. And even though layers of material were
between them, he could almost feel John's skin.

Sometimes, at night when lying in bed (or, more accurately, the
couch), if he closed his eyes and concentrated, he could remember what
John's skin felt like against his own. Warm and smooth and incredibly
soft, damp with sweat when they'd made love. Usually, that was when
he'd stop concentrating; he couldn't remember what it felt like to
make love with John, and it was a startling fact that scared him too
much.

When they boarded the elevator, in the silence of that small
enclosure, Dave leaned back against the wall and closed his
eyes...concentrated. He imagined that he and John were just getting
off of a shift maybe, exhausted from the day's work. They would want
to go to bed right away, but, just like always, they would still be
able to find the energy to make love once they got there. He could
almost feel John's hand in his own.

*Ping!*

He opened his eyes at the sound of the elevator doors opening on his
floor, pulling him out of his short reverie. He glanced at John for a
moment before leading the way to his door, thinking rather
irrationally that maybe if he'd just daydreamed a little longer,
fantasy would've become reality. They would go inside and go to bed,
and make love and fall asleep in one another's arms, exhausted but
sated. And tomorrow they'd do it all over again.

The key shook (because surely that couldn't have been his hands
trembling like that), making it hard for him to get it into the lock,
but soon he managed to get the door open. Stepping inside, he left it
that way, wordlessly inviting John in. He kept his back to the door,
knowing John had taken up the offer when the door closed. Well, he
assumed, anyway, that John hadn't just left without a word, but
somehow he could...sense him there.

"Uh...thanks for taking me home," he said tentatively, unsure of what
else he could say. Finally, he turned, glancing at John, surprised at
how close the man was to him. There was probably only two feet between
them. Close enough for Dave to reach out and... Quickly, he stepped
back, enough to inhibit the temptation.

"Sure," John replied, his eyes roaming over the place as if he'd
forgotten what it had looked like since last night, since living here
for months.

"You, uh...want a drink or something?" he asked, and quickly began
moving to the kitchen. "I don't know what I have other than booze, but
- "

"Dave," and at the same time a hand was touching his, stopping him,
stopping his breath and his heart. He dared to look up at John,
suddenly in front of him, standing so close he could feel his body
heat. Was he still daydreaming? he wondered. Maybe he was still
standing in the elevator, hallucinating from the leftover drugs still
in his system. Hell, maybe he'd died last night and this was his
punishment, to live what could've been but really wasn't. And, pretty
soon, the Devil would pop in for a visit, and Dave would next be
overdosing on sulfur as he got the darkest tan of his life.

"Dave," John repeated, almost as if he hadn't heard him the first
time. He felt his hand shaking but he couldn't keep it still no matter
how hard he tried, no matter how cool he tried to be. John's grip
tightened slightly in his, a gentle squeeze, one that arced right
through Dave and rattled the broken pieces of a heart he thought was
gone forever. "I...I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not listening and not
talking, and...for being such an asshole to you when you needed me the
most. I was just angry and upset and...it's not important. But I
just...I'm sorry, and I want you to know that."

"It's okay," he nearly whispered, hardly able to find his voice.
"I...it's okay. And I'm...I'm sorry too. I didn't...I never meant to
hurt you."

"I know," he replied just as quietly, one hand coming up to slip onto
the side of Dave's face, warm skin against warm skin, just like he
remembered. "I never meant to leave you."

"I never meant to let you go. I'm so sorry I screwed everything up."

"Dave..." he paused, his face so close to Dave's, his lips almost
against his own, so close Dave could feel them, could nearly remember
what they felt like...that skin, that warm skin. "I...Dave, I..."

He was leaning closer, but Dave leaned back, even though his hands
were clutching at John's shirt as if he were afraid to let go. "I
can't, John. I can't...you can't...John, I need..." He pursed his
lips, frustrated, never able to find the right words to express how he
felt. "John, if you can't...love me for who I am, then I can't...I
can't do this anymore. I've never...I've never felt like this before,
not even with Steven, and it's driving me crazy that I can't be
whoever it is you want me to be. I just...I don't know what I'm trying
to say."

"Yes, you do," John assured him softly. "You're trying to say that
you're not perfect."

"Yeah."

"That you're far from perfect."

"That might be pushing it."

"You're trying to ask me if I'll love you for who you are."

"So?" Dave asked, after a pause. "What's your answer?"

John didn't bother to reply before his mouth was crashing against
Dave's, and, God, the kiss was like electric fire, the burn only
leaving him wanting more, more, more, until he was nothing but dust
and ashes. Because if there was any way to go it wasn't by a broken
cross or alcohol or pills, it was by kissing the one you loved and him
kissing you back until there was nothing left but absolute Heaven.

Eventually, they eased out of the kiss (more due to necessity of
breathing than anything else), but they remained close, holding one
another in the dim living room of their apartment. The clock ticked
away the seconds, the minutes...but time didn't exist anymore, not
right now. At least it didn't matter, anyway.

"Stay tonight," Dave whispered into John's ear. "We don't have to
share the same bed, just stay...it isn't right without you here. I
mean...if you want."

The words were met with another kiss. And then: "I want to stay. And I
want to share the same bed. I want...Dave, I want you."

Their lips found one another and they kissed hard, urgently, as if
they only had right then and right there. But after everything they'd
been through, alone and together, they felt their mortality, knew the
ease with which they could slip from this life into the next. Never
again would they take advantage of their time together, and now was
the perfect time to start.

Their bodies entwined and so did their hearts, now and forever, fused
together by a love they'd missed and now shared passionately.

They didn't make it to the bedroom. Instead, driven by want and hunger
and need, they fucked slowly right there in the living room, hardly
feeling the floor beneath them. Hardly feeling anything but each
other. And Dave remembered what it was like to make love.

When it was over they lay naked and spent, holding one another. Silent
but no longer uncomfortably so. And while both knew they had a lot to
talk about, they also knew it could wait. After all, they did have the
rest of their lives. But there was one thing that had to be said.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

--------------------------------

You're the only one who knows that

Someday, somehow

I'm gonna make it all right

But not right now

I know you're wondering when

--------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Twenty-Three - Come Around by The She Devil
---------------------------------
Chapter Twenty-Three: Come Around
---------------------------------

Don't give me

No comic book

Sad looks no more

--------------------------------

Dave went to the 28-day rehab program, as promised, and John moved
back into the apartment while he was gone. It was the same as he
remembered it, but something was missing. Obviously Dave, but the
apartment lost something else without him. John had wandered around
the place for days on end, just walking around, touching everything
that was his, that was Dave's, that was theirs, trying to figure out
exactly what. It came to him one day, as he was sitting alone on the
couch flipping through mind-numbing channels: the place was empty and
quiet. Dead and lonely. It was just like any other apartment. It
wasn't a home, not without Dave Malucci.

Was this...was this how Dave had felt when John had left him? Had Dave
wandered around the apartment aimlessly for days on end, remembering
what had once filled the empty spaces? Had that emptiness, along with
everything else, been the catalyst that led him back to drugs?

Suddenly, John felt a swelling of guilt in his stomach. This really
was his fault, maybe not all of it but he was partly to blame. Dave
had cheated on him, and that had been enough for John to leave him. He
hadn't stopped for a minute to listen to what Dave had to say about
it, that he was under the influence of nearly every drug in the damn
hospital. He'd been overdosing, for Christ's sake! He'd almost died!
But the only thing John could seem to understand was what Dave had
done with Luka, his archenemy in this childish playground sort of way.
Dave had hurt John, and that was all that had mattered. And now,
because he couldn't get over himself, he'd hurt Dave, the person he
cared about the most.

God, what had John done to him? And now all he could seem to imagine
was Dave wandering around the apartment, everything falling apart
around him until he'd finally just given up, too lost to move on.

Lost. Dave had been lost without John, just as John was now completely
lost without Dave. Not to mention completely insane. Due to the policy
at the rehab center, no one could call patients, only the patients
could call, and only at certain times. From a payphone, no less,
basing the amount of time during a call to how many quarters you could
scrounge up. So John spent his days literally sitting by the phone,
waiting for Dave to call. His cell was always on as well, even in the
hospital where it wasn't allowed. And no matter how short the call, it
was always worth it, even if they only got a few words in before Dave
had to go.

"What did you talk about in group today?"

"How staying on drugs would affect the most important thing to us."

"What did you talk about? Being a doctor?"

"No. I talked about you."

"Dave...we talked about being careful, remember? Discreet?"

"John, this is important to me. I want to get better, I - "

"I want you to get better too, Dave."

"I know you do."

"So...why can't you just not mention me? I mean, your recovery's
supposed to be about you, not me."

"Because you're a part of me."

Silence.

"John?"

"Yeah, I'm still here. You're right. You're right, Dave, I'm sorry."

"You don't have to worry, John. Nobody knows us here, and I never used
your last name. Your secret's safe with me."

Sometimes, when he was alone in the apartment and waiting for his
lover to call, he would pretend that Dave was there just to break the
silence. He would be making himself something to eat or going to bed,
and would start talking about his day at work to the empty apartment
(and to Kermit), filling in Dave's responses, knowing just what his
lover would say. He knew he must've sounded like someone from the
Psych Ward, but it made him feel better and not so alone. Although he
had to admit, when he began to laugh at Dave's jokes, it was at those
times he really wished he could visit.

Visiting days were always Sunday, and only for an hour. John knew that
was hardly enough time to visit, but it was for such a short time
because it was important that outside forces (friends and family, such
as himself), didn't influence patients into doing things they
shouldn't be doing. Staying there was hard enough, especially after a
visit. Sometimes patients even left. It was hard to see the people you
loved the most leave without you, almost seem to leave you there.
Alone.

"John," Dave had blurted out the first time he'd visited, meeting
outside in the courtyard. The young man had hesitated only briefly
before moving to John, moving into John's arms. And John wouldn't have
cared if everyone on the planet had been watching, not the ER, not his
parents, not anyone, because it all would've been worth it for that
one embrace. Silence for a few moments before Dave spoke up again with
a soft chuckle. "You know I had like a thousand and two things to say
to you, and now I can't think of one. Well, I can think of a couple.
Like I love you. And I miss you so fucking much."

"I miss you too," John had said, holding Dave tightly, remembering how
those strong arms felt around him, the way Dave smelled, and the way
his skin felt. That had been the worst, probably: Knowing that they
were together but that they couldn't be together, at least not yet.

"I wish I could come home," he'd stated then. He pulled back, looking
up into John's eyes. "Maybe I can. I mean, it wasn't a big relapse,
right? I'd be just as sober here as at home...right??"

"No," John said firmly, shaking his head. "No. Wrong. You can't go
home, Dave, not yet...and you know it. You have to get better *here*."

"You don't...you don't want me home?"

"Don't do that," John murmured, pulling him close once more. "Of
course I want you home. I'd be lying if I said I didn't. But you need
to be here. It was hard for me to stay in rehab in Atlanta, it was the
hardest damn thing in my life. But I stayed because I had to get
better, or I was going to end up dead." He leaned back to look Dave in
the eye. "You need to stay here for that same reason. You have to
learn how to stand on your own two feet or you'll end up dead.
Besides, twenty-eight days isn't that long."

Pause. "Do you always have to be right??"

John smiled. "Please stay here, Dave. I know you want to get better,
don't you?"

"I do, I do," Dave replied, nodding vigorously. "I want to get
better."

And he did. He wanted to recover with every fiber of his being because
he was better than this. He was better than this, and he would learn
to recover and learn to accept it as a lifelong process. And every
time he visited, John could see he got a little bit stronger, a little
bit better. A little bit closer to home, a little bit closer to John.

By the time Dave's twenty-eight days were over, the staff knew John
just as well as they knew his boyfriend. Dave had spoken about him a
lot during group and one-on-one with a therapist, and when Dave
finally left, many of the staff were glad to see both of them leave to
live their own lives happily and healthily.

When Dave returned to the apartment permanently, it was as if the
place was suddenly alive again. His spirit filled the empty spaces,
his laughter filled the air. His heart filled John's, reminding him
how much he'd missed the younger man. Reminding him what it was like
to be in love again.

And so they relearned how to live together. They relearned being in
each other's space constantly, after spending one month living alone,
another month before that avoiding one another. They relearned each
other's habits, that John preferred the left side of the bed and Dave
the right. They relearned each other's routines, that Dave showered
after a shift while John just collapsed on the bed and waited until
morning. They relearned each other's hospital schedules each week,
frequently managing to get the same day off. They even relearned how
to work together again, with John allowing Dave to give the orders in
front of the young medical students from time to time.

More importantly, they relearned each other's bodies, all over again,
as if they had never been intimate before. They found each other's
erogenous zones (Dave was always a sucker for feather-light fingertips
against the back of his thighs), and they discovered each other's
boundaries. They relearned each other's minds and hearts and souls,
until they knew each other better than they knew themselves.

In short, all was it should be.

Now, they lay naked beside one another in bed, holding hands. The moon
was the only illumination, which crept in through the open curtains
and cast sporadic beams of muted light throughout the room. The clock
radio was on, soft oldies drifting through the air to their ears,
almost as if it were carried lazily by a light breeze. John quietly
began to sing along to a Beatles song, "I Feel Fine," before Sam
Cooke's "Cupid" could be heard. John knew that one too, surprisingly.

"How do you know all these old songs?"

"I'm a loser." He felt Dave chuckle beside him. "No, really. After
Bobby died, and Chase found his own friends, I didn't really have
anyone...so I listened to music all the time."

"This kind of music?" Dave asked.

"I hung around my grandfather a lot," John told him. "He became my
best friend."

"Lucky guy."

"Lucky *me*."

"No offense, man, but your grandfather didn't have great taste. This
sounds like music they used to play at a store I used to work at when
I was a kid." Dave reached out and switched the dial on the radio,
until a familiar song came on. John could see him grin in the
moonlight. "Now *this* I can live with," he said, as Aerosmith's
"Pink" began to play.

They laid in silence for a few more minutes, listening to Aerosmith
end and Bruce Springstien begin. John knew Dave was delaying something
he'd mentioned earlier, and he gave Dave's hand a tug. "You said you
had a surprise for me."

"I know."

John waited for his lover to elaborate, but even those two words had
been hesitant. Half jokingly, he asked, "Should I guess?"

"If you want."

"Okay," John said, nodding in the dark. "Uh...is it a gift?"

"Sort of," Dave replied, a nervous edge to his voice. Suddenly he was
fidgeting. "Not really. I don't know. Depends on how you look at it."

"Is it candy?"

"No," he stated, chuckling softly, amused by the response. He turned
on to his side to face John, one hand coming up to run over John's
side until it rested on his hip. At the angle the younger man was now
laying, the moon hit his eyes, lighting them up an exotic amber brown.
He glowed in soft light, but his lashes seemed to absorb it, along
with the angles and curves of his face, accentuating his features and
making him seem like a carved sculpture. At that moment, the young man
proved to live up to his name: he was the perfect image of David.

"You're beautiful," he couldn't help but say, reaching out to touch
the side of Dave's face.

"Mr. Romance."

"I mean it," he persisted, and even if it was dark, John could see the
blush rise in Dave's cheeks. "Now what surprise did you have for me?"

"I don't know," he said slowly, turning on to his back once more,
staring up at the ceiling, and even out of the light his lover didn't
look any less stunning. "I thought that, you know...maybe we
could...try again."

"Try what again?" he asked, puzzled.

"You know...it."

"It?"

"*It*."

"Oh," John replied, realizing he was talking about *it* - sex, that is
- but unsure of just what he meant by it. "But...we've done 'it' since
I moved back in. Just last night. And the night before. And before
that, at the - "

"I know," Dave interjected, facing John again, an almost exasperated
tone to his voice. "I mean...with you, you know...touching...me."

"*Oh*," John said, and this time he really did understand. He
remembered the last time they'd tried, with Dave barely handling John
touching his erection, not quite ready to allow John to do that. And
John didn't want him to feel as if he had to do anything, that that
hadn't been the reason why he'd left before, and even so he was here
for good this time. They had forever, and he would wait that long.

"I know," Dave said, after John voiced his concerns. "But before, I
wouldn't - "

"Couldn't," John interrupted.

"*Didn't*," Dave continued, "let you touch me, and now I want to. I
want to be able to do this without freaking out or losing it, or
whatever. I want to be..." He sighed, frustrated. And when he spoke
again, his voice was so desperate but so damn hopeful. "I want to be
normal."

"Dave." Gently, he reached out, his hand finding Dave's arm and
rubbing it up and down comfortingly. "If you aren't ready, we don't
have to do this."

"I'm ready," he insisted, exhaling sharply. "I want to try."

"If you really think - "

"Shut up already and kiss me."

John was more than happy to do as he was told, leaning forward and
kissing his lover full on the lips, his hands slipping on either side
of Dave's face. It still surprised him how explosive their kisses
were, how Dave could still take his breath away just like the first
time he'd kissed him in the ambulance bay. He could hardly believe
that he'd been willing only a month ago to give this all up, to give
up the touches and caresses and lovemaking and gentle smiles and
whispers and, God, those kisses.

His hand trailed down Dave's jaw and neck, touching his chest and
feeling those strong muscles beneath warm skin. His fingertips traced
a long scar that ran down his side to his waist, then lower, past his
navel to rest on his hip. Carefully, slowly, giving them time to kiss
and get worked up, distracting Dave with a little tongue, he moved his
hand to rest against Dave's ass. He felt the young man tense but he
didn't flinch, and soon he relaxed. But John didn't linger there too
long, knew Dave wasn't nearly as ready as he claimed to be, and
relocated his touch to the small of Dave's back, expertly tracing the
tribal sun tattoo there without even being able to see it.

The gesture seemed to somehow reassure Dave, who relaxed more,
thrusting his hips against John's, grabbing John's erection and
stroking him with slow, teasing strokes that made John ache with need.
He pushed into that hand, nearly gasping between kisses, "Fuck me.
Jesus, Dave, please."

"You don't...I mean, you know. You don't - "

John knew what he was going to say before Dave even said it. "No, I
don't."

"Why not?" he asked. "You don't...want me like that?"

"Of course I want you like that," he stated, kissing him softly. "But
I know you're not ready for it. I don't think I am either."

"You aren't?"

"No, I'm not," he said, seeing the relief in Dave's face that he
wasn't the only one who wasn't ready to have John penetrate him, glad
that he could supply that solace with his honesty. Gently, he took
Dave into his arms, holding him close. "Forever, remember?"

"Forever," Dave agreed. "Love you, Carter."

"Love you, Malucci."

--------------------------------

Please don't use

Those same excuses

You've used before

--------------------------------

The Chief of the ER was out. They weren't playing softball, either.
She was out as in *out*, as in I'm a Lesbian. As in I Have a
Girlfriend. As in I Kiss that Girlfriend in the Halls. As in - well,
you got the point. And if you didn't, Dave sure as Hell did, and he'd
been the first to giggle like a little kid when he saw the Chief
kissing that hot paramedic that wouldn't give him the time of day.
(And trust him, he'd tried.)

Everybody knew it, even if they pretended not to. Frank was the only
one who seemed to obsess about it, and that was only because he wanted
to prove the Chief had a first-class ticket to Hell once she switched
trains out of this life and into the next one. Well, Frank obsessed -
and so did Dr. Romano. But, then again, when was Dr. Romano quiet
about *anything*?

"Your sisters are under-serviced and we can fix that," he was
currently saying to Dr. Weaver, as Dave headed down the hall in one
direction and they in another. "County General's Center for Lesbian
Excellence!"

He glanced at them, absolutely dumbfounded and positively amused, when
she said to him, "Dr. Malucci, you didn't hear that."

Quickly, he flashed a grin while covering his ears with his hands, and
kept walking. He found himself at Admin, his amused expression turning
to one of puzzlement as he saw his boyfriend sitting on a stool rather
awkwardly, adjusting his weight continuously. He came up beside him,
looking through the rack for a new case as he did so.

"What's the matter, Hoss?" he asked, studying John's pained
expression. "Is that an icepack on your crotch?"

"Yeah," he admitted, his cheeks flushed red from embarrassment and
perhaps discomfort. "I got defibrillated."

"Again??" Dave asked. "Who was it this time? Still Jing-Mei?"

"I heard that," the Asian doctor interjected, stepping between them to
grab a pen before moving to the board.

"Med student," John confirmed.

Dave made an "ah" of understanding, although he didn't completely know
all the details. He knew John would tell him later though, so he
turned his attention away from his lover and to the charts before him,
trying to find the most disgusting case in the bunch. "Here we go.
Open knee fracture. And from the looks of it, it's a messy one."

"Dave, please," John protested, holding up his hand. "My stomach's a
little queasy from the hit."

"I bet it looks like hamburger meat."

"Dave - "

"Raw hamburger meat, with loads ketchup all over it."

"I think I'm going to throw up," John stated, before putting a hand to
his mouth. "I hate you so much right now."

"I'll make it up to you," he promised, winking with a sly grin. He
began to leave, before leaning down and whispering into John's ear on
his way, "And if you want, I can make it up to you by making your
booboo go away."

"Oh, really?" John dared to ask, making sure they weren't overheard,
although in the hustle and bustle of the ER, he knew it was
impossible. Although Jing-Mei was currently writing something on the
board nearby, but she was probably too far to catch anything. Still...

"Meet me in the supply closet near Sutures in an hour," Dave replied
then, standing upright. "Now I have to take care of the raw hamburger
meat knee with extra ketchup and maybe some mustard and sauerkraut on
the side."

He walked away with a new bounce in his step as he heard John vomit on
poor Jing-Mei's shoes behind him.

--------------------------------

You've told yourself

So many times

It's okay

--------------------------------

Ardal O'Connor had been driving school busses for the past fifteen
years, since he'd retired from his job at the soda factory. It had
been a great way to make some spare cash when his Social Security
check had failed to provide enough money to live on, but jobs were
never only about money to Ardal. He took all of his jobs very
seriously, including his duties as a bus driver. Getting the children
to and from school, or any other buildings, safely and soundly was his
number one priority. Money always came second.

Today, he had had a chance to make even more money when the principal
at his usual school had asked him to drive thirteen students and four
teachers home from a retreat for the drug-free program. All the way
from north Illinois he'd had to drive, a three-hour ride into Chicago
where dozens of parents were waiting for their middle school children
to arrive safely and soundly. And that was his number one priority.

"Safely and soundly," he said to himself, nodding in agreement. He
glanced up at the mirror that allowed him to view the children in the
seats behind him. Some of them were sleeping even though it was only
seven in the evening, exhausted from the trip. Others were talking and
laughing, some playing their video games on those little machines.
Each one of them his children. He repeated, "Safely and soundly."

They were in Chicago now, nearly home. His duty as a school bus driver
was almost complete. Only down the highway, through a few side
streets, into town, and they would be at the school. His children
would be with their parents, reunited after a three-day trip. Mommy
and Daddy would say they missed their children, but their children
would never admit to being homesick. They would only wish to go back
and be with all of their friends to enjoy more time together away from
the cares of the world. And Ardal would be more than happy to take on
the job of getting them back there, safely and soundly.

"Safely and soundly."

"Did you say something?" one of the teachers asked, the young and
pretty brunette married to that handsome firefighter that came around
the school sometimes to teach fire safety.

"No, ma'am," he replied, shaking his head and smiling happily at her
as he continued to drive.

Faintly, he heard sirens approaching in the distance, slowing down as
he prepared to pull the bus over to allow the police car or ambulance
to pass. He noticed the exit he needed to take was nearing, the only
exit in nearly ten miles from the last and five from the next, and
decided he could turn off now and avoid pulling over all together. It
was a steep curve, so he picked up enough speed to make it up, but
went slow enough to be able to maintain control without going over the
side into the lake below.

However, Ardal O'Connor was not in control of his own fate and never
had been, just like everyone else on this planet. There were always
other elements in play, including the boozehound behind the wheel of
the Ford pickup, who happened to be on several other drugs in addition
to alcohol. He also noticed the only exit for five more miles, and he
was growing tired of this high-speed police chase, knowing it was only
a matter of time before the cops got him. He needed to get out of
here, and fast. So he headed for the exit.

Ardal didn't know what hit the side of his bus so fast and hard it
rocked the hulking vehicle on its wheels, didn't know what
subsequently caused the steering wheel to jerk in his hands. All he
knew was that he had to regain control of his bus before it was too
late.

Metal scraped against metal, louder than the sound of the teachers and
children screaming in terror. Louder now, the sound of the bus
crashing through the guardrail, balancing preciously on two wheels,
balancing until it tipped onto it's side, falling, falling, falling
until it hit the ground. But the ride wasn't over yet, inertia and
gravity were still tag teaming against the bus, pulling it down the
hill, pulling it towards the lake below. Further, further, until the
front windshield made contact with the icy water but did not break.

Safely and soundly, Ardal had sworn, but now he knew that promise had
been broken as irrevocably as the guardrail in the bus' wake.
Apologizing to the Heavens and asking God to keep the children safe
was the last conscious thought he had until the glass broke against
the pressure of the water.

The sound of silence was louder than anything he had ever heard
before.

--------------------------------

So eager to try

But you just don't know

How to come back down

--------------------------------

"...'Cause pink is a new kinda lingo," Dave sang softly to himself,
walking casually down the hallway, heading towards the supply closet
where he was to meet John in about five minutes. He grinned, licking
his lips in anticipation before continuing to serenade the ER with
Aerosmith. "Pink, like a deco umbrella. It's kink, but you don't ever
tell her...pink when I turn out the li - "

In a flourish the door was open, and it actually took him a minute
before he realized just what he'd walked in on: Luka and Abby, heavy
in their own make-out session within the closet. He gaped for a
minute, before regaining his composure and bursting into laughter.

"You do know," he said, once he could speak, "that everybody comes in
here because there's a lock on this door."

"Dave!" Abby exclaimed, smoothing down her hair. "It isn't like that.
We were just..."

"Getting supplies," Luka finished, grabbing a bottle of hydrogen
peroxide. "We were getting supplies."

"Oh," Dave said, nodding in agreement, a know-it-all grin on his face.
"Yeah, okay."

"Dave?" He glanced to his left to see John come up beside him. His
lover peered inside of the supply closet. "What's going on?"

"Luka and Abby were 'getting supplies'," he said, although the
expression on his face suggested otherwise.

John smirked. "Oh."

"You are such a jerk," Abby told Dave, pushing past him and into the
hall. "Excuse me, some of us actually have work to do."

"Sorry to keep you," Dave retorted, and now his grin could only be
described as shit-eating. "From getting laid - I mean work. Of course
I meant work, how could I mix that up?" He watched her leave, before
turning back to Luka, beaming. Obviously impressed with the older
doctor's latest catch, he held his hand out. "Nice work, bro."

"Thanks," Luka replied sheepishly, slightly hesitant as he held out
his own hand, unsure of what Dave was doing, only realizing when he
found himself in a low-five. And then he found himself stuck there,
Dave holding on to his hand, and when he looked up he saw that that
smile was gone and had now been replaced by a rather serious
expression.

"You'd better take care of her, Luka," warned Dave, gently but firmly.

"I will."

"Fuck her over and I'll fuck you up," he stated, calm as could be, but
his eyes were telling a different story. They were hard. They were
cold. They were serious. They were filled with love for his one true
friend. "Don't hurt her again, Luka. I mean it."

"I won't," he said, very, very sincerely. "I mean that too."

Dave flashed another grin, a full-fledged honest smile. "Good luck,
bro."

"Uh oh," Luka replied, grinning himself as he moved past the two men
and into the hallway. "Will I need it?"

Dave only winked in response before pulling John inside of the supply
closet by the sleeve of his lab coat and closing the door behind them.

"Discreet, remember?" John asked, as Dave pushed him up against the
far wall and pressed his body against John's, already kissing at his
neck. "Dave..."

"We do this all the time," the man murmured against John's skin, his
hands roaming.

"I meant the way you just pulled me in here," John replied. "Somebody
could've seen."

"Nobody saw."

"How do you know?"

Dave leaned back, his hands braced against the wall on either side of
John's head. "You're really killing the mood here."

"I'm just saying," John stated, his tone edged with exasperation, "you
need to be discreet. You always forget."

"I don't forget," he stated, his own voice suggesting his annoyance.
"Sometimes I maybe just think that you're over this already. I don't
know, it's probably just wishful thinking, isn't it?"

"Over what??" John asked rather defensively.

"Over whatever it is we're arguing about."

"We're not arguing."

"Okay." And then Dave's mouth was on his own, ending all discussion.
But, apparently, John wasn't done talking yet since he placed two
hands on Dave's chest and pushed him back gently. Dave groaned,
"What?? I thought we weren't arguing?"

"We're not," John said, and almost immediately Dave tried to kiss him
again. "Dave, I'm serious."

"I don't get what the problem is," he said. "We've been seeing each
other for almost eight months."

"So?" John asked, crossing his arms over his chest. "We - "

"So??" Dave snapped, taking a step back. "So when are you gonna stop
hiding?"

"We're not hiding."

"That's right!" Dave exclaimed. "*We're* not hiding, *you* are."

"I'm not hiding!" John declared. "I told you already, I'm not ready
for - "

"That was *months* ago!!" Dave nearly shouted. "How much longer is it
gonna take? Years??"

"Dave, let's be real about this," John argued.

"John, I can't get much more real!" he said. "I'm ready to tell
everybody how I feel about you, that I'm going to spend the rest of my
goddamned life with you if you'll let me. And yet you're waiting for
something. A sign from God, for Christ's sake?"

"Come on," John demurred. "We don't know what's going to happen."

"What!?" Dave asked, his eyes wide with surprise and utter
bewilderment. "You don't think I'm serious about us?" He staggered for
a minute as a thought occurred to him. "Or maybe you're not sure how
serious *you* are about us. Maybe you don't think we're going to last.
Is that it, John? Is that the problem here??"

"Dave," John interrupted, placing his hands on Dave's arm, stopping
him before he fell into a full-on rant. "That's not what I meant. I'm
just saying that we don't know what will happen once we...you know..."

"Come out??" Dave finished, brushing John's hands away. "You can't
even fucking say it!"

"Don't swear at me, Dave."

"Who are you, my mother?" he asked, annoyed that John was changing the
subject. "Maybe," he considered then, pacing the small room before
turning to John again. "Maybe the *real* problem here is, all this
time I've been feeling something you don't. Maybe we aren't even in a
relationship."

"Dave..."

"Are you my boyfriend??"

"Of course I am."

"Do you love me?"

"You know the answer to that."

"Do I?"

"Come on, Dave." He rolled his eyes in response, tired of arguing,
tired of hiding, tired of waiting. He was just tired. "Dave."

"Don't 'Dave' me like I'm crazy. Just answer the goddamned question.
Do you love me??"

"Of course I do."

"Then why don't you try acting like it sometimes?" he snapped. "Like
those times when I'm not almost dying or in some kind of crisis? I
think it's called *on a daily basis*."

"Now you're being sarcastic."

"I'm being honest!! I'm trying to tell you how you make me feel!" he
exclaimed, so frustrated he could've pulled his hair out. "You always
act like I'm here to serve you, like I'm just some Junior Resident.
You don't even act like I'm your friend half the time! I want to feel
like I'm your friend. I want to feel like you love me. I want to feel
*important* to you!"

"You are important to me."

"You're not listening!" He pursed his lips several times, searching
for the right words to get through to John's head, but he knew he
never would, why should he try? He sighed, his shoulders sagging in
defeat.

"Dave?"

He looked up. "What?"

This time, he allowed John to place his hands on Dave's arms. "Please
don't be mad."

"I'm not mad."

"Yes, you are," John stated. "When you're mad you make that face, and
that scar above your eye wrinkles."

Dave smiled in spite of himself. "I didn't know that."

"It's true. Still mad?"

"A little."

John kissed him. "What about now?"

"Feeling better."

Another kiss, this one deep and slow, leaving them both breathless.
"Now?"

"Much better," he replied, even though, in the back of his mind and
deep in the bottom of his heart, he still ached.

And they kissed some more, hands roaming and tongues clashing and
bodies touching. Dave loved it when they did this, kissing and
touching and teasing in a fleeting moment. Because even if John didn't
want to come out, doing something like this when someone could catch
them was risky, and if John was taking that risk then Dave was
convinced he wasn't ashamed of their relationship. He wasn't ashamed
of Dave, wasn't ashamed to be with him or to be seen with him or to be
caught kissing him.

"Dave," John breathed between kisses.

"Mmm?"

"Maybe..." Gently, he eased out of the kiss, just as out of breath as
Dave. "Maybe we shouldn't do this here anymore...I mean...at all."

"What?" Dave asked, surprised. "Why?"

"What if someone walks in?"

"The door has a lock on it," Dave stated, annoyed as he leaned back
against the counter behind him. What had he just been saying about
John not being ashamed?? "That's why everybody comes in here."

He realized that was the wrong thing to say when John took a step
back. "What if somebody saw us go in here?"

"I told you, nobody saw."

"How do you know??"

"I *know*."

"What if someone sees us leave?"

"We'll go separately," Dave suggested. He reached out and took John by
the hips, pulling him close. "Don't worry."

"Somebody could - "

"The door locks, remember?"

"But did you lock it?"

Simultaneously, they glanced at the doorknob, seeing that the button
wasn't depressed almost at the same time that the knob started
turning. Quickly John stepped away, pushing Dave back instinctively
although he was up against the counter. He banged his head on the
cabinet behind him instead, swearing softly as the Chief pulled open
the door.

"I've been looking all over for you two," she barked, as Dave rubbed
his head. "What're you doing in here??"

"We were just - " John began, but she cut him off instantaneously.

"I don't care," she said, waving off whatever excuse he was going to
supply. "There's been an accident. School bus with thirteen kids, four
teachers and the driver. Two kids DOA, along with the driver. The
teachers are okay, but they're still pulling kids out. We need doctors
out at the scene, you two are going with me."

"Really?" Dave asked, standing in surprise. "I mean, I get to go?"

"Am I speaking Spanish??" she asked.

"Actually, I understand Spanish."

"Save it, Dave," she snapped. "Get the medical bags and meet me
upstairs."

"Wait, we have to take the helicopter?" he asked. "I don't know if - "

"What's the problem here?" she asked, in full bitch mode.

"I just get a little air sick sometimes..."

"Take a Dramamine and suck it up, Malucci," she snapped, and Dave
clammed up, knowing warpath when he saw it. "Get the bags and get
upstairs! It's unsettling that lives depend on you."

"Thanks, Chief," he said, but she was already gone. He glanced at
John, about to make a flippant comment about his motion sickness when
he saw the look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong," John repeated, as if it was the most ridiculous phrase
in the world. "What's wrong?? You know what's wrong."

"I don't. That's why I asked you."

"You didn't lock the door."

"I'm sorry, I forgot."

"How could you forget something like that??" John exclaimed, nearly
irate. "Christ, Dave, she could've walked in on us when we were...you
know..."

He made motions with his hands that Dave was supposed to understand,
but he pulled a face. "Kissing, you mean??"

"Quiet!" he hissed, indicating the open door. "You want somebody to
hear??"

"Why would that be so horrible??" Dave asked. "The Chief's out and
nobody gives a shit!"

"Maybe they don't now," John replied, "but what happens later? What if
she messes up? What if there's a sexual harassment case, like there
was against that psychiatrist upstairs?? What if - "

"What if the Earth opens up and swallows all the gay people?" Dave
asked, annoyed. "Then you'd really be screwed."

"This is serious!"

"No, it's not," Dave said, resigned. "It's a relationship, it's
supposed to be easier than this. What's serious is hurt kids that need
our help right now, John. The world is bigger than you."

John sneered. Dave was surprised at how ugly it made him. "You did
that on purpose, didn't you?"

"Did what?" he asked, perplexed.

"To out me. You did that on purpose," John snapped. "That's low, even
for you."

"Wait a second!" Dave blurted out, his eyes wide with disbelief. "You
think I left the door unlocked on purpose?? I would never do that to
you, and you know it. And what the fuck's that supposed to mean, 'low
even for me??'"

"You did it at the rehab center!" John exclaimed, ignoring the
question.

"Did what??"

"You outed me!" John replied. "You told all of those people in group
and your therapist about me. About *us*!"

"We talked about this!" Dave shot back. "You agreed that it was
important for me to be honest in order for me to start my recovery.
Why is it suddenly a problem now??"

"Because you only talked to me about after you did it!" John nearly
shouted, and then lowered his voice, the open door gaping at him from
the corner of his eye. "You didn't talk to me about it first."

"What would you have said?" Dave asked. "Would you have let me do it?
Or would you've talked me out of it, because your little secret is
obviously more important than me and my recovery."

"Dave, you know that's not - "

"What would you have said??" he spoke loudly over John's voice. Calmer
then, quieter: "What would you have said?"

Now, John said nothing.

"That's what I thought."

"Dave..."

"Whatever, let's just go. I don't want to deal with this anymore. You
win, okay? End of argument."

"We weren't arguing."

Dave shot a glance at his lover. "Well, we sure are now, aren't we??"

--------------------------------

And now you'll beat me up and break me down

Hoping I don't come around

Kick me when I'm on the ground

--------------------------------

Fire trucks, police cars, ambulances, and one huge crane, all from
different districts, were crowded into one small area. Three
helicopters from different hospitals stood nearby, and several more
from various news stations were hovering in the air. Sirens and lights
were blaring. Men and women were shouting, some were crying. And the
focus of all of these people was a school bus lying on its side, half
of it partially submerged in a small lake, the other half precariously
balanced on the steep ground. The crane beside it was perched
awkwardly on the precipice, barely able to support itself, let alone
the bus. It was, quite frankly, a big mess.

"Whoa," Dave said, standing beside John in a blue jacket with the word
"doctor" emblazoned on the back in bold letters. John wore one as
well, and they both carried matching medical bags with several
supplies they might need.

"Dave, come with me," the Chief said over the noise, ever the watchful
mother since he returned three weeks ago to work. She still didn't
like to leave him alone, always hovering over him but managing not to
be intrusive while doing so. He kind of liked it, because it showed
that she really cared, no matter how hard on him she was. He felt, for
the first time, as if he might actually be fitting in here. And it
felt good. "Carter, I want you to go check out the guy that caused
this mess."

"The one driving the truck?" he asked, glancing at Kerry dubiously.
"Why don't we just let another hospital take care of him?"

"Because I asked you to," she stated firmly. "It looks like they just
pulled him out of the truck. Get over there while Dave and I help the
major cases."

"We get the big ones?" Dave asked, hopeful.

"We get the big ones."

"Be careful," John called.

Dave turned with a glare. "Watch it. Might make it sound like you
actually care."

"Dave," John warned, glancing at Dr. Weaver, hoping Dave didn't sound
like he was insinuating anything. He'd been awfully close to crossing
the line all night.

"Told you," he scoffed, before joining Dr. Weaver and running off. The
older doctor watched him go, hesitating before finally he headed
towards the truck that was nearly smashed into the side of the steep
hill. He stepped over a piece of guardrail that had been torn out of
the ground, twisted and bent as if it had been aluminum foil and not
metal. Finally, off to the side and away from most of the action, he
reached the gurney the paramedics had just placed an unconscious man
on.

"Hey, Dr. Carter," Riley, one of the EMTs, called, greeting him.
"You're probably the only one who rushed over here."

"What happened?" he asked, placing his bag on the gurney beside the
man and leaning forward to begin his ABCs - airway, breathing,
circulation. But he reeled back suddenly, exhaling sharply. "Oh, my
God. He smells like he bathed in alcohol. Christ. I think I can figure
out what happened now."

"Found his wallet!" another EMT said.

"What's his name?" asked John, finished with his A's and B's and
moving on to his C's.

"Uh..." the EMT said, holding up the small leather wallet to the light
to read the information. "James Carson, age thirty-five."

"Mr. Carson??" John said loudly over the sounds of the scene. Roughly,
he rubbed his fist against the man's chest. "Mr. Carson, can you open
your eyes for me??"

Almost immediately, James Carson's eyes shot open, panic overwhelming
them briefly before he focused on John. "What's going on?? God, my
fucking head."

"Mr. Carson, you were in an accident," Riley replied. "Do you remember
anything?"

"Yeah! Some fucking bus hit me!"

"No, asshole, you hit a school bus full of kids. You already killed
four and one's still missing."

"I did not, you fucking liar!" the man spat, reaching out to strike
Riley, but the EMT stepped back quickly. So he went for the next
person close enough: John. The drunk and high and possibly insane man
grabbed his jacket, pulling him close, ready to do *something*, John
didn't know what and didn't care to find out, when Riley grabbed the
man with both arms, pulling him back on to the gurney. He let go of
John in surprise, and the doctor quickly scrambled back to avoid
bodily harm of any kind. "Fuck all of you! I didn't do anything!! Get
the hell off of me! Get away from me, you punk kid. I'll fucking kill
you!!"

"Ten of Haldol," John yelled over the man's obscenities. "And get hard
restraints. Get him to another hospital, we don't want him at County,
you can count on that."

"Okay, Doc," Riley said, another EMT rushing over to carry out the
orders. "You go take care of other people who're actually worth it. We
can handle him."

"You won't get any argument from me," John replied. He paused briefly.
"By the way, why were the cops chasing him?"

"They raided his house and found a meth lab. They had a warrant for
his arrest...he took off."

"Idiot," John whispered. All this over drugs...his mind flashed to
Dave, flashed to himself, contemplating the damage that drugs caused
because moving back into the chaos.

--------------------------------

Beat me up and break me down

Hoping I don't come around

Kick me when I'm on the ground

--------------------------------

"Transport her to County," Dave demanded, pointing to the gurney next
to him, staring down the EMT on the other side of it.

"Mercy already claimed her!" the woman yelled. "You can't just take
cases that aren't yours. They already worked her up!"

"Her husband is a paramedic," Dave argued. "His district is County!
He'll be in and out of that hospital all night tonight."

"I understand that," she retorted, and Dave could swear she wasn't
cutting him any slack because she'd never really liked him. So maybe
that one time last year when he'd grabbed her ass had been wrong, but
he thought she'd been interested. Sue him.

"Then why don't you take her to County??" Dave asked, ready to
transport her himself if he had to. "Her husband - "

"I heard you already," she replied. "But it's not happening. So let go
of the gurney and let me get her to Mercy."

"He can check on her whenever he's there," Dave retorted, his grip
only tightening on the hard metal railing. "She has a serious head
injury! He'll want to be with her as much as possible!"

"If she's seriously injured," the woman said, "then let me get her out
of here already! Hey, Dr. Weaver, can you please control your doc
before I put him in his place??"

"Try it," Dave spat.

"What's going on here?" Dr. Weaver asked, leaning heavily on her
crutch.

"This woman's husband is a paramedic," Dave explained before the bitch
paramedic could open her mouth. "He transports to County, and if
something happens he'll want to be with her as much as possible. He'll
be in and out all night."

"So take her to County," the Chief assessed.

"Mercy already checked her out and claimed her," the woman replied.
"You can't take her now."

"For God's sake," Dr. Weaver groaned. "Then take her to Mercy. If
something happens and her husband isn't there, it'll be on your
shoulders."

"Let go of the gurney," the EMT told Dave, satisfied with the answer
even if it wasn't the one she was looking for. "Let *go*, Malucci."

Reluctantly, he released his death grip on the gurney, pushing it
toward her roughly. He moved around it to step up to her. "You're a
real bitch, you know that? This is one of your own's wife, and you
can't let your personal feelings go long enough for you to do what's
right. I hope you sleep well tonight."

"Fuck you, Malucci, and get out of my face."

"Gladly."

He watched her go, disgusted that she could allow personal feelings to
get in the way of patients. He was surprised when he felt a gentle
hand on his arm, followed by a reassuring squeeze. He glanced at his
chief, who glanced at him, and he was about to say something when he
heard a faint sound amongst the white noise of the scene. He turned
away from her, listening with a furrowed brow.

"What is it?" she asked, letting go of his arm and watching him
carefully.

"I thought I heard something," he stated. "Do you hear anything?"

"I can barely hear *you*," she replied, indicating the accident around
them. "It's so noisy here I can't hear myself think. What did you
hear?"

"I thought..." He trailed off, stepping closer towards the sound,
closer towards the bus. He shrugged, glancing at the Chief. "I guess
it's just - "

Except there it was again, a faint cry from within the confines of the
bus, from within the twisted and broken yellow metal looming above
Dave on it's side, a full three feet taller than him. He glanced at
Dr. Weaver, wide-eyed. "The missing kid, he's still in the bus! I
mean, he's alive in there, Chief, we gotta get him out!"

"*We* can't do anything," she pointed out. "Get some firefighters over
here."

Without a word, he turned sharply on his heels, nearly tripping in his
haste. He grabbed the first firefighter that he saw, and by pure
chance it was Sandy Lopez, the chance he'd pick the Chief's girlfriend
out of the crowd surprising him slightly although he didn't have time
to dwell on it. "The kid that's missing, he's in the bus. I heard
him."

"What do you mean, you heard him?" she asked gruffly, eyeing him as if
he was crazy. "Over all this noise? He's yelling or something?"

"Yeah, he's yelling, or he's crying, or *something*," he said in one
burst. He grabbed her arm, nearly dragging her over to the bus, but
she pulled out of his grip roughly. "You gotta help him."

"We can't go in there right now," she told him, and his jaw nearly
dropped to the ground. "They're hauling it out with a crane and we're
not allowed."

"Bullshit!" Dave exclaimed, incredulous. "I heard him crying, we gotta
tell them to stop and we gotta get in there."

"You say 'we' as if you're a firefighter."

"Almost was one," he said to her, and she glanced at him with raised
eyebrows. "Swear to God. But doctors make more money."

"Not to mention they get all the glory."

"Better benefits."

"No way. I got you beat there, pretty boy."

He almost opened his mouth to disagree before he conceded she was
right. They flashed grins at one another, before he indicated her to
follow him through EMTs and police cars and firefighters and just
about any other emergency vehicle and person you could think of. The
crane, eighty feet in height fully extended, was attached at several
places to the bus, carefully pulling the huge vehicle out of the
water, the metal groaning in protest. Even painstakingly slow, the bus
creeped further and further into the water, occasionally jerking
violently. It didn't help that the crane was hardly able to stay
steady itself.

"It's not safe to climb in through the windows," the fire chief told
them, once they reached him. "You'll have to cut through the metal on
the roof."

"That'll take too long," Dave protested.

"The hell it will," he snapped back, refused to be pushed around by a
kid doctor who thought he knew all there was to know about search and
rescue just because he'd been called to a scene. Dave knew this, and
wisely kept his mouth shut, although Sandy placed a hand on his arm to
warn him just in case. "If the kid's yelling, then he's not that badly
injured. Cut through the side. If it takes too long then we'll decide
on something else."

And now it was Dave's turn to be annoyed with a fire chief who thought
he knew everything there was to know about assessing a patient just
because he was calling for help. And he was glad for the hand on his
arm, because otherwise he might be saying something not so nice to
Sandy's boss.

"Sir," she said to him, her New York accent roughening her words, "we
gotta get the kid outta there. Let's just - "

"Cutting him out is safer."

"But it takes longer," Dave interjected.

"Do me a favor, doc," the man said to him, stepping close. Dave raised
his chin, stood straighter, reflexively making himself seem bigger.
Tense and ready to fight by pure instinct. "You do your job, and I'll
do mine. Sandy, get over there and start cutting, and let me know if
you need anything."

"Jerk," Dave said, once he was gone, as they headed towards the bus.
"He thinks he's so tough."

"Tell me about it," Sandy muttered. "Ever since he's been chief it's
been nothing but pure misery. Hey, Carlos! Get the saw over here and
start cutting into the side of the bus." She turned back to him.
"Malucci, right?"

"Yeah," Dave replied. "Dave Malucci."

"You can play firefighter and tag along, but don't tell Kerry," she
added quickly. "I don't got no desire to be sleeping on the couch
tonight."

"Yeah, well, when my better half finds out, I'm screwed too," Dave
stated. "So don't let anything happen to me."

"Deal."

--------------------------------

Well how 'bout those people

I know that you know the ones I mean

--------------------------------

"What happened?" John asked, peeling back the gauze soaked through
with blood. He winced for the little girl on the gurney, whose arm had
been cut open, the wound so severe bone was visible, her arteries
torn. He re-bandaged it and started working quickly, knowing she could
lose her arm if he hesitated even briefly.

The EMT replied, "She got cut real bad on some glass. We're trying to
get her pressure stabilized before we give her anything."

John reached into his medical bag, finding a short rubber tube,
usually used to tie above the elbow for drawing blood. He wrapped it
around the upper part of the girl's arm, tying it tightly above the
wound. Almost immediately, the supply to her arm stopped, and John was
satisfied when he pulled back the gauze and no more came. He glanced
up at the paramedic, prescribing a small amount of morphine. "To at
least take the edge off. They can assess her better at County. Get her
there by helicopter, if we waste any time she'll lose her arm."

"You got it, Doc."

--------------------------------

Not so good, not so bad

Only know what they have

And they have only what they've seen

--------------------------------

"Hey, kiddo??" Dave called, standing next to the bus, waist-deep in
murky water that was still cold in the middle of June. "Kid??" he
shouted, louder this time, trying to carry his voice all the way past
sheets of thick metal. "Can you hear me in there??"

"Hello?" was the faint reply he received. "I'm stuck!"

"I hear him," Dave told Sandy, who was standing next to him, along
with another firefighter holding a saw. He turned back to the bus.
"Where are you stuck?"

"The seat!" he shouted, his trembling voice cracking. "It's all over
and I can't get out!"

"Is there any water coming in?" Sandy yelled.

"It's in the window," he shouted back, tears audible through his
voice. "Can you help me?? I can't get out! I'm stuck!"

"It's okay, kiddo," Dave said to him. "You don't have to worry, we'll
get you outta there. What's your name?"

"Kyle," he replied, crying. "I can't get out..."

"Hey, Kyle, I'm Dr. Dave," he said. "Don't cry, okay? You gotta be
real brave, and we'll get you out."

"Promise??"

He glanced at Sandy. She shook her head. He turned back to the bus.

"I promise." He glanced at Sandy, who sighed loudly. "I don't lie to
kids, so we'd better get him out of there."

"Or else?"

"Or else I die trying."

--------------------------------

Them mediocre bad guys

Can really bring you down

--------------------------------

John Carter surveyed the crowd with his eyes, catching sight of a
teacher with a bandage on her elbow before the bus jerking further
into the water caught his attention. He noticed men in the water, a
saw sending sparks flying as it drilled into the metal, and he briefly
wondered if they'd found the missing boy. He stopped caring when he
saw Dave standing in the water, next to the firefighters, saying
something to the one that he'd heard had outed Kerry Weaver. Quickly,
he ran over, dropping his bag haphazardly on the way.

"Dave!" he shouted, but he could barely hear himself over the shriek
of the saw. "Dave, what are you doing?? What's going on??" His lover
glanced over at him, turned back to the bus. John nearly shouted in
frustration. Dave was ignoring him. "Dave!! Get over here and tell me
what's going on or I'm coming to you!!"

"Do what you want, John!" Dave shouted back. "You always do!"

"I'll..." he began, thinking up a better threat. "I'll get Weaver!"

John could almost hear Dave sigh as he turned to look at Sandy Lopez
before running over as fast as he could while treading water. Tersely,
he said, "The kid's trapped in the bus and we're trying to get him
out."

"So what are you doing in there?" John asked, startling back as the
bus shifted again, the metal groaning in protest. "It's too dangerous,
get out of the water."

"I can't," he said. "They keep stopping and I make sure the kid's
still okay."

"They can do that!" John exclaimed, nearly ready to drag Dave out of
the water. "Get out of there, it's not your job, it's too dangerous."

"I'm fine," Dave insisted, visibly shivering from the cold water. He
offered John a cold, hard stare. "Go back to the other patients, I can
handle this."

"You're not a firefighter!"

"I know, don't tell Weaver."

"What???"

"Dave!" Sandy called, and he turned to face her. "The kid's not
talking anymore!"

"What?" Dave asked, rushing over against the protests of his boyfriend
behind him. "What do you mean?" He rapped his fist against the roof of
the bus. "Hey, Kyle?? Kyle, can you hear me? Kyle, answer me. Kyle!!"

"Carter!" Riley, the young EMT, was yelling. "Carter, this girl's arm
won't stop bleeding again!"

"Make a tourniquet!" he yelled back.

"It's not working," he cried. "Would you please get over here?? They
can handle that!"

"Dave!" John yelled.

"Get out of here," he retorted, waving him off. "Go take care of
somebody else, I can take care of myself!"

This time, John really did cry out in frustration before turning to
help with damage he could actually fix right now.

"I'm going up there," Sandy stated, as the firefighter beside her
started up his saw. She indicated the top of the bus, the windows
gaping wide at the sky.

"I'm almost through!" the man yelled.

"I'm going up there!" she shot back. "That kid's gonna be dead by the
time you cut a hole in that frigging thing. I'm going to try to get in
through the windows."

"Can you climb up there?" Dave asked, examining the bus, the windows
facing the sky since it was on it's side. "I mean, could you make it?
This thing's sliding like crazy."

"I know," she stated, looking up at it with a worried brow. "I don't
like it either, but we can't do anything else. If we don't do
anything, he's dead. I'm going."

"Then I'm coming too," Dave stated, grabbing her arm before she could
go anywhere. She gaped at him dubiously. "I'm serious."

"You'll be a liability," she protested. "I can't keep track of your
ass and the kid's."

"I can take care of myself," Dave reminded her, as he had reminded
John only minutes ago. "Besides, if you go and something happens to
you, Weaver will kill me. You're going to need a doctor to see how he
is once you get him out from under the seat. We're in this together,
whether you like it or not."

"You just want to play hero."

"Face it," he told her. "*Firefighters* get all the glory, not
doctors."

She sighed. "You'd better watch your ass, because I ain't doing it.
Come on, before Kerry makes me sleep *outside*."

--------------------------------

They can't be defeated, you know

And they're never gonna come around

--------------------------------

Dave Malucci was climbing up the front of the bus to get to the top of
it, the windows facing the sky at a sharp angle, barely steady on the
steep hill. It jerked once, twice, as he and Sandy Lopez climbed,
climbed, yelling to the boy inside and peering through the windows,
trying to find him to successfully get him out. It was absolute
madness. It was absolute stupidity.

"Dave!!" John shouted, but the man couldn't hear him over every other
sound. "Dave, God, get down from there! Please, get down!"

"What the hell is going on here?" Dr. Weaver asked, coming up beside
him. "Is that Dave?? What the hell is he doing up there!"

"I don't fucking know," John breathed, gasping and staggering forward
as Dave lost his footing and slipped. He recovered his balance fairly
quickly, but John's heart didn't stop beating at ninety miles an hour.
"Oh, my God. He's going to get himself killed."

"Is that Sandy??" she suddenly asked. "Of course it's the two of them.
Goddamned idiots, the both of them. Of course it's them. What're they
thinking??"

"Dr. Weaver," he replied, "I don't think they are."

--------------------------------

They'll just beat me up and break me down

Hoping I don't come around

Kick me when I'm on the ground

--------------------------------

"Kyle!" Dave yelled, glancing through one of several broken windows,
jagged edges of glass like teeth in the sides of the frame. "Kyle, can
you hear me?? Damn, we don't know where he is."

"Where's the door?" Sandy asked, standing precariously with both hands
held out for balance.

"It's on the other side; under the water," he replied, one hand on the
frame of the window for support. "Kyle, can you hear me? Shit, he's
gotta be unconscious. Shit! What if the last time the bus slipped it
took him under water??"

"Shit," Sandy agreed. "There's gotta be a way to get in here.".

"The windows are too small to us to fit through," Dave stated. "By the
time we get that saw up here, it might be too late."

"So what now?" she asked him, and immediately wished she hadn't.

"The door's under the water," Dave replied, meeting Sandy's eye. "We
can't just leave him in there."

"God damn," she hissed.

--------------------------------

Beat me up and break me down

Hoping I don't come around

Kick me when I'm on the ground

--------------------------------

"What is she doing?" Kerry asked, stepping closer to the bus, but she
didn't dare go far. If she slipped she'd never be able to regain her
balance with her crutch; she'd fall hard and probably break her head
open on the rocks near the lake if she didn't break her neck.

"Taking off her jacket."

"What is *he* doing??"

"Taking off his jacket."

"Fucking idiots," she spat. "Goddamned fucking idiots."

"Dave, please don't do what I think you're going to do," John pleaded
quietly, watching as Sandy and his lover inched their way to the end
of the bus furthest into the water. "Dave, please..."

"Yo, docs!" They turned, seeing a paramedic supporting another, the
wounded EMT cradling his ribs. "The asshole in the truck got him
pretty bad. Got out of his restraints in the rig. Will one of you
check him out?"

"I don't want to go to the hospital," the young man said. "Just say
I'm good to go."

"I..." John began, hesitant.

"You stay," Kerry told him, stepping carefully towards the paramedics.
"You can do more if something happens."

"Thanks," John replied gratefully, and when he turned back to the bus,
Dave and Sandy were nowhere to be seen.

--------------------------------

Beat me up

Break me down

Hoping I don't come around

Kick me when I'm on the ground

--------------------------------

To be continued...
Chapter Twenty-Four - Used To Be by The She Devil
-----------------------------------------------
Chapter Twenty-Four: Used to Be
-----------------------------------------------

I'm not a perfect person

There's many things I wish I didn't do

-----------------------------------------------

When he'd been only waist-deep in water, David Malucci had thought
that the water was cold, but bearable. When he was chest deep, he
began to realize how crazy he was and he began to long for his warm
bed, but still he could feel his body. But it was a whole other story
when he was completely submerged in it, diving under and trying to pry
the bent and twisted bus door open, surfacing a few moments later for
air, going back down, getting your shirt stuck in the frigging door,
getting it unstuck, coming back up, going back down, and doing it
again. And again. And again.

"Are you getting it?" Sandy Lopez asked him, kicking her legs to stay
afloat. Before, he'd so proudly boasted that he could get it open by
himself � after all, they opened inward and he could easily do that
with a hard shove or two. "Well??"

"No," he admitted. "I thought � "

"Typical man," she muttered, shaking her head. "You all think the
same. It's no wonder I stick to women."

"Want to know why I stick to men?"

"If you tell me," she promised, "you won't be able to walk for a
while. Let's go down together and maybe we can get it. You know,
teamwork?"

"I'm familiar with the word."

"Really?" she asked. "Woulda never guessed."

He pulled a face as she grinned at him, and then she took a deep
breath, disappearing under the black water. He took a breath of his
own before following her down, hardly able to see anything under the
murky water, which stung their eyes. Luckily for them, several
spotlights from helicopters and machines lit up the water, allowing
them to make each other out along with the bus, however minimally.

The door of the bus was distorted in its frame, usually able to fold
inwards but now it bent outwards. Dave had kicked at it, pushed it,
even pulled it, but none of his maneuvers had worked. Now, Sandy
indicated for him to hold on to something and they would both attempt
to push it in with their feet, and he did as he was told, fearing for
his ability to walk correctly if he didn't listen.

He grabbed on to the side view mirror with both hands, Sandy grabbed
on to the empty frame of a broken window, and he could see the small
shards of glass cut into her skin as the water turned a muddy red. He
winced for her, pushing hard, grunting and watching as precious air
bubbles flowed from both of their mouths in their exertion.

The door groaned in protest as it began to shift, both of their weight
pushing, pushing, and they heard a loud snap echo through the water as
the door completely broke away from the frame. Dave indicated the
surface for more air but Sandy ignored him, pointing inside as she
swam into the frame. His lungs felt as if they were going to explode
right in his damn chest if he didn't get some air, but he choose to
trust her and followed her inside.

She proved to be rather intuitive. A small amount of air had been
trapped in the front end of the bus, and while it wasn't a lot it was
enough for them to take a few deep breaths and regain their bearings.
He was so close he could feel her body against him, and he was about
to make a lewd comment but she must've sensed it and pushed him
roughly away. He hit the back of his head against the wall for the
second time that night.

"Ow."

"You deserve it."

"I didn't even do anything."

"You were going to," she told him. "Christ, I'm freezing."

"I know, me too."

"Let's go see if we can find that kid and get out of here."

"Yeah," Dave said. "The longer we're here the more danger we're in.
Let's go."

He nodded, taking a few deep breaths before a final one, this time
leading the way into the bus. It was harder to maneuver through
twisted metal and broken seats than he thought it would be, but
luckily the bus was on its side and light penetrated through the
windows. His breath was readily running out as he fought to feel
between each seat, searching for a body, alive or otherwise.

He let out a small shout as he felt his hand come in contact with soft
material that could only be clothes. He tugged gently, pulled harder,
but couldn't budge the small body. Further, he moved up the boy's
body, finding a shoe, a leg, wrapping his hands around the small ankle
and pulling once more. No dice.

Suddenly he turned, pushing Sandy, pushing her back towards the air,
feeling his chest tightening, collapsing. He was going to be flattened
into nothing before he could get air. His fingers reached, found
water; reached further, found more water. His mind began to panic, and
for a moment he thought he was actually going to drown in this bus, in
the lake right along with Kyle. He thought of John, always wondering
if the man would be his last thought, but then he thought of air,
wanting it so desperately he ached. Or maybe that was just his chest
collapsing. Finally he felt air and finally he surfaced, Sandy doing
the same a few seconds later.

"God damn," he hissed. "I couldn't breathe. I found the kid, he's
under the water and he's stuck. He's not conscious, I left him there.
I couldn't breathe. Jesus, what if he's dead? What if I left him there
to die? I promised him I'd get him out, but I couldn't breathe, I � "

"Calm down, doc," she said, her own breath exploding from her. "You
can't do anything if you're unconscious too, if you need air come back
up. Let's try again, we'll be quicker now that we know where he is."

"You want to lead?" he asked her.

"You do it," she said. "You're stronger, you can help him more."

"Whoa."

"Tell anybody I said that?" she said. "You're dead. Let's go save that
kid."

---------------------------------------

But I continue learning

I never meant to do those things to you

------------------------------------

"Where are they?" John asked, more to himself than anyone else as he
paced back and forth on the steep hill, wringing his hands and tugging
at his hair and doing just about every other nervous habit there was.
"Come, on Dave...come on, just come up again...come up again."

He'd watched his lover go underwater and surface periodically for air,
but then suddenly he and Sandy had gone down together, and now they
were nowhere to be seen exactly seven minutes and thirty-two seconds
later. He bit his lip, swearing he was going to chew a hole in it
soon. He had tried to go into the water but those fucking firefighters
wouldn't let him near the bus no matter how much he begged and
pleaded. Too dangerous, they said. It's bad enough they had one doc in
there, let alone two. But they didn't understand, they couldn't...

"Come on, Dave," he begged. "Please, come on...you know you can't die
down there, you know you can't. God, you survive your father, getting
beat up by a hockey team, two underdoses and *me*, you can't die
now..."

"Anything yet??" Kerry called from the top of the hill.

John didn't take his eyes off of the bus. "No."

"They'll be all right."

"They've gotta be," John said.

----------------------------------------

And so I have to say before I go

That I just want you to know

---------------------------------------

Dave had no intention of dying. Whether or not death had an intention
for Dave was another story, and he was acutely aware of every passing
second with every tick of his watch. He knew, however subconsciously,
that it wasn't his watch he was hearing, that it had broken long ago
in the water. He knew it was the clock of Dave's Life, and of course
it didn't run on normal time. It ran about a dozen times faster,
reminding Dave that he was far from invincible with every passing
tick.

His eyes were of no use to him in the darkness of the bus, not with
this much collapsed steel around him. Just like a blind intubation, he
thought. Trust your other instincts. In that case, you trusted your
ears, trusted the instructions of someone else. In this case, he would
trust his sense of touch, trust Sandy. Just like that.

He felt the boy, felt up the boy's body, past his chest, all clear of
at least deep lacerations and penetrations. Further, he found the
boy's head, checked for a pulse � none. Goddamn, he thought, moving
further down his neck...across his shoulder, something wrong. It
jutted out at an odd angle, his arm was twisted back...and then metal.
It was trapped, stuck between the wall and the next seat.

He fought the urge to instinctively suck in air. If he was suffering
God knew what the boy had been through before passing out, so he
forced himself to bear it and to keep at the task at hand. Easier said
than done as Dave forced his body into the confinements of the seat,
his back against one and his feet against another. Pushing, pushing
with all his might, feeling his lungs exploding and flattening at the
same time, feeling his brain fogging up as if water itself was filling
his head...feeling the metal give way underneath his feet, feeling the
boy slip free and float above him. And then the boy was moving,
presumably pulled by Sandy, but Dave didn't know what happened after
that as he expelled stale air took a deep breath. Because all he
seemed to know was that he was in deeper shit than he'd ever been
before in his entire life.

------------------------------------------

I found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

And the reason is you

----------------------------------------

"I see someone!!" John yelled, glancing back to see Kerry carefully
making her way down the slope. He looked back to the water. "I
think...it's Sandy! And she's got...she's got the kid. She's got the
kid, she's bringing him out."

"Thank God." Kerry sounded at least half-relieved, but her voice was
still thickly laced with worry as she said, "But where's Dave?"

"God, I don't know," John said, his voice shaking so audibly he barely
recognized it as his own. He blinked back a stinging in his eyes as he
rubbed his mouth with his hand nervously. "Come on, Dave...where are
you??"

------------------------------------

I'm sorry that I hurt you

It's something I must live with every day

------------------------------------

Sandy Lopez was pissed. It wasn't enough that she had to get stuck
with that cocky doc that Kerry was always ranting about. No, now she
had to save his ass too because he didn't know how to hold his damn
breath. How hard was that? You took in some air and you didn't let it
out. Couldn't follow simple instructions. Typical male.

You are too Goddamned heavy, she thought to herself, grabbing Dave's
arms and kicking backwards through the murky water, kicking with all
of her energy just to get to the damn air that was still trapped in
the bus. She pulled him up with her, her breath coming to her in short
bursts as she checked for a pulse. Still there, still strong, but he
definitely wasn't breathing.

"Come on, Dave," she muttered, pulling him close to her and trying to
perform the Heimlich to expel the water from his lungs, but it was too
hard in the water. "Christ, we came this far and now you're going to
die? Stop being such a dick and wake the fuck up! Don't make me put my
mouth on yours, kid. These lips ain't touched a man's since the tenth
grade, I ain't starting now."

------------------------------------------

And all the pain I put you through

I wish that I could take it all away

-----------------------------------------

"She went back under," Kerry said quietly, almost to herself. "Why
would she do that?"

"I don't know," John replied, his stomach doing somersaults. God, he
felt like he was going to vomit any second, but he forced himself to
stay strong. He had to stay strong for Dave, he had to. "Something
must've happened. Something happened to Dave. Oh, my God, something
happened to Dave."

"John, just calm down," she said, placing a hand that was supposed to
be reassuring on his arm. "We don't know anything yet."

He shook his head, his folded hands pressed to his mouth so fiercely
he could bruise his lips. He wasn't aware he was speaking for a few
moments until he heard himself, quiet words he could barely hear
without listening with some strain.

"Please, God, please..." he prayed. "Please don't do this...please
don't do this to me, don't do this to Dave...please, God, I'm begging
you here...please..."

Kerry must've heard him, or at least sensed his desperation. "John..."

"Oh, my God!" he shouted, his breath exploding from him as he took a
step towards the bus. "She's got him, she's got him! But he's not
moving, he's not moving." He knew he was repeating himself but he
couldn't help it, and he knew he should've been relieved but he
wasn't; he couldn't help that either. Dave wasn't moving at all as
Sandy dragged his body out of the water and onto the shore. "Why isn't
he moving? I have to go down there, I'm going down there. I have to
help him."

"Hurry!" Kerry yelled from behind him, as if he had any other
intention right now.

---------------------------------------

And be the one who catches all your tears

That's why I need you to hear

----------------------------------------

He wasn't breathing. A doctor who didn't know how to breathe, it was
absolutely unheard of. Ridiculous. Sandy was going to have to talk to
Kerry about this; she really needed to train her staff better. If they
couldn't perform their own bodily functions, how were they supposed to
help other people with theirs?

She clasped one hand on top of the other and placed them on Dave's
chest, pumping like she'd seen the paramedics do hundreds of times
before. She'd been trained in CPR, but how long ago had that been? She
couldn't remember if it was five breaths and ten compressions or ten
breaths and five compressions...maybe if she did seven and seven she
would be okay...

Carefully, she tipped his head back, pinching his nose. "I can't
believe you're going to make me do this," she griped, before placing
her mouth on his and breathing for him, seven breaths because she kept
switching her numbers up. She sure hoped it wouldn't make a
difference, that if she didn't do ten his lungs were going to cave in
or something. Then she'd really be in for it.

"You're doing it wrong."

"I knew it!" she hissed, shaking her head ruefully. "Are his lungs
gonna deflate?"

"I don't think so," John Carter replied, kneeling down on the other
side of Dave. "You've got your hands in the wrong place. On his chest,
not his solar plexus."

"Well �scuse me," she said, holding up her hands in defense. "We
wouldn't be in this mess in the first place if he knew how to hold his
breath right."

"Why did you let him go down there?" John snapped, pumping on his
lover's chest, silently willing Dave to breathe. Just let the water
come out, Dave, just come back to us. Come back to *me*. "Come on,
damn it. What happened to his leg??"

"First of all, I didn't let him do anything, he made his own choice,"
Sandy replied, causing John's anger to flare. She glanced at the tear
in Dave's jeans, revealing a long laceration that started from the top
of his thigh and ran nearly all the way to his knee. "And I don't know
what happened. Must've got cut on the way out. When am I supposed to
do the mouth thing?"

"Now," he told her, and watched her carefully, making sure she was
doing it correctly. "Don't go so fast or he won't have a chance to get
the water out."

"I don't know how to do this," she admitted. "Why ain't he breathing?
Stupid kid, a scene like this ain't no place for a doctor."

"Then why'd you let him go??" John asked again, pressing harder, too
hard, so hard he felt a rib crack beneath his hands. He let up
quickly, pulling his hands back as if he'd been burned. "Shit, I think
I just cracked one of his ribs. Fuck. God damn it! Dave, would you
just fucking breathe!?"

"Cool it, doc," Sandy said, ignoring the glare he tossed her way. "And
I told you, I didn't *let* him do anything, he wanted to go. More
breaths??"

"Yeah. Try it."

She leaned down again, covering her mouth with his, pinching his nose
and making sure only air went in. Come on, Dave, John prayed silently,
continuing compressions as Sandy continued her own task. But still,
the young man refused to breathe, and John knew the longer he didn't
get oxygen the bigger the chance of brain damage got, the bigger the
chance of death got. And he couldn't imagine Dave dead, couldn't
imagine never waking up beside him, never seeing those eyes open
again, never seeing those lips smile, never...

"Come on!" he cried with frustration, his voice breaking in anguish.
"Breathe, God damn it. Please, Dave, just breathe! Please..."

Sandy placed her mouth on his once more, ready to try again when
suddenly Dave heaved, retching up water first in Sandy's mouth and
then onto the ground when John turned him so he wouldn't aspirate. And
John was sure he'd never felt more relief ever before in his entire
life than he did right now, seeing Dave coughing and retching, wet and
shivering, looking absolutely haggard but absolutely alive.

"Gross!" Sandy yelled, spitting onto the ground. "You threw up in my
*mouth*, you jerk!"

As he rolled onto his back once more, she punched him in the arm and
he recoiled. His eyes were closed. "Nobody said you had to give me
mouth to mouth," he croaked, taking in deep breaths of air,
practically swallowing gulps, relishing in the dirty, disgusting
Chicago air he thought he'd never taste again.

"Somebody had to do it," she retorted. "Wouldn't a had to if you knew
how to hold your damn breath."

Dave smiled weakly, regaining his bearings, remembering what had
happened in bits and pieces. He remembered nearly popping his eyes out
trying to get that metal to move, remembered getting it to move,
remembered the boy moving...and then he'd taken an instinctive breath,
signing his death wish, buying the farm, circling the drain, whatever
other metaphor you wanted to use. Thank God Sandy hadn't left his ass
behind, or he would've been sucking dirty water for the rest of his
short life. He opened his eyes to thank her and suddenly realized that
they weren't alone. She hadn't been the only one to save him. John
Carter was there, right beside him, desperately blinking back tears
and obviously fighting the urge to show more emotion than he wanted
to. "John..." he began, but was cut off sharply.

"You are so fucking stupid," he said, his voice thick and quavering.
Not exactly the reaction Dave was hoping for, or one that he'd even
expected. And then John was standing, walking away from him and back
up the hill.

Sandy nodded as if she'd predicted this, and then turned to Dave.
"Looks like I ain't the only one sleeping on the couch tonight."

He sat up, sighing and then putting a hand to his throbbing head. He
felt like it was full of water, too much and it was pressing against
his skull, ready to burst. He closed his eyes and saw blackness as
dark as the lake before them.

"You okay, kid?" she asked softly from beside him.

"Everything hurts," he said quietly, and then shook his head, clearing
his thoughts. He smiled weakly. "Uh...you know...thanks."

"You'd do it for me." She stood. "You stay here and let me get some
help. Oh, and good luck, by the way."

"Thanks," he said sourly, sighing heavily. "I'm going to need it."

------------------------------------------

I found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

And the reason is you
------------------------------------------

The first thing Kerry did when she saw that Sandy was alive and safe
was pull her into an embrace and kiss her hair, wrapping a warm
blanket around her. The first thing John had done when he'd seen Dave
alive and safe was call him stupid � fucking stupid, to be exact � and
Dave didn't really appreciate that. Not to mention he had to get his
own blanket.

They sat close in the ambulance, holding one another. Kerry and Sandy,
that is, because why would John want to show any public displays of
affection for the one he loved? You only did that when you weren't
ashamed of your relationship. Obviously, Kerry wasn't ashamed, even if
she was the Chief of the Emergency Department, and had tons of
superiors and patients and coworkers and subordinates breathing down
her neck every day, constantly scrutinizing and criticizing. She
didn't care because she wasn't ashamed.

John, sitting on the same side of the rig as Dave, obviously didn't
feel the same way for him that Kerry felt for Sandy. John, sitting as
far away from Dave as he could, obviously was ashamed of Dave, was
ashamed to be with him. Maybe because he was another man, but Dave
couldn't help but wonder if maybe it was because of whom he was. Why
would anyone feel that way about Dave Malucci, much less a smart,
funny, rich and caring guy like John Carter, a guy nearly at the top
of the ER food chain. And Dave was just, well...he was just
bottom-of-the-barrel Dave. If it were someone like Luka, would John be
out already? Someone like Dr. Benton?

So he sat there in the back of the ambulance, wet and cold and alone,
wrapped up in a thermal blanket given to him by an EMT, and shivering
his ass off, the laceration on his leg burning like acid with all the
disinfectant they'd put on it before gauzing it up. He bet he looked
pretty pathetic. Right now, if he were John, he'd probably hide their
relationship too, even if he'd almost died.

And then it hit him: He'd almost died. He'd seemed to have several
brushes with death lately, but none he could so clearly remember as
what had happened only moments ago. He could still feel his chest
tightening as he struggled to breathe underwater, so painful as he
fought to hold on to consciousness, feeling such black darkness
creeping up on him until finally he'd given in. There had been nothing
after that, absolutely nothing. Darkness so complete he could imagine
himself nonexistent, as if he'd never ever been born.

Dave had always imagined that that must be what it was like to die. He
hadn't believed in God in a long time, and he figured if there was no
God, then you just...stopped. There was no Heaven or Hell, just
nothing. He'd tried to kill himself just over a month ago, when he was
younger as well, and he'd considered that when he died he would be
nothing, and that would be okay because he wouldn't feel anything
anymore, wouldn't wish for anything anymore, wouldn't dream anymore,
wouldn't miss anyone anymore. He just wouldn't do *anything* anymore,
he would just stop. And that would be okay, because he didn't want to
do any of that other stuff anymore.

But now he knew he'd been very, very wrong. And if that's what death
was, then he didn't want to die. Not yet, not when he had so much
feeling and wishing and dreaming and missing to do. He wasn't ready
yet, and while he hadn't died he could still feel the absolute
nothingness and it scared the shit out of him. He gasped audibly,
pressing his knuckles against his lips to stifle it, and now he was
shaking for a different reason.

"Dave, are you all right?" Kerry asked, her eyes ever watchful.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," he replied, but he wasn't, he was far from
fine, he was the opposite of fine, he was anti-fine. He nodded
vigorously, trying to convince his companions and also himself, but
that was the absolute wrong thing to do because suddenly he was dizzy
and his internal organs were defying all previous medical knowledge
because his heart was in his throat and his stomach was in the empty
place that his heart used to be.

"Can you breathe okay?" one of the paramedics asked, glancing up from
the small boy they were bagging and still attempting to resuscitate.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he repeated, and now there was a twisting in his
stomach, which was still in his chest, and suddenly he was wishing he
hadn't eaten those oily, greasy slices of pizza for dinner, the ones
leftover from two days ago that he'd heated up in the microwave in the
Lounge because he had tons of patients and no time to get a real meal.
If only he'd gotten a real meal... "I just...I think...I think I'm
going to be sick."

"Here," the EMT said, quickly giving Dave an emesis basin, nearly
chucking it at him, and the instant it hit Dave's hands he was
throwing up, vomiting what felt like everything he'd eaten for the
past *week*, let alone those disgusting pieces of pizza he'd eaten for
dinner. He sat back, leaning against the wall behind him, handing the
basin back to the paramedic and thanking him gracelessly. "Hey, man,
thank *you* for not throwing up on the floor. I just cleaned this damn
rig."

"Hey, Malooch," Sandy called, eradicating the �i' from his name to
create a rather odd nickname that he'd heard before, but not since
Lucy Knight. She was watching him carefully, her face etched with
worry. "You sure you okay? You don't look too hot."

"I'm fine," he said yet again, trying to remind himself to be fine,
but it wasn't working out too well. And John was just sitting there,
silent, as still as a statue. No reassuring words or reassuring
touches, and Dave didn't even dare to consider a reassuring kiss.
"Should be more worried about the kid. Is he gonna make it?"

"Looks that way," the EMT replied, "but we don't know about brain
damage."

"He'll be fine," Dave said, looking at the paramedic as if suggesting
anything else was ridiculous. He leaned forward, ignoring the pain in
his leg as he did so, wondering if Kyle was aware of what was
happening to him. What if he was scared? Scared because this was
happening and he was all alone? Dave could relate. But while no one
could help him, he could help this kid, and he sure as hell would with
everything he had. Quietly, he whispered into the boy's ear, "Don't
worry, kiddo. I promised you'd be okay, and you will be. And don't
worry, you're not alone, okay? Someone'll be with you until your
parents come. And if no one'll do it, then I will."

"You sure you're okay?" Sandy asked, as Dave leaned back in his seat
once more.

He'd been about to reply but thank God the ambulance stopped moving.
They were at County, the doors were pushed open and everything was
suddenly in motion. The gurney was rolled out; the EMTs were gone;
Kerry and Sandy stepped out of the ambulance, both carefully for
different reasons (Kerry because of her crutch, Sandy because of her
exhaustion); and then it was Dave's turn to leave, and suddenly there
was a hand on his arm, trying to help him, but he pulled away roughly,
almost falling when he did so.

"Get away from me," he snapped, glaring at John, wondering where the
fuck he got the audacity to do something like that. There was another
arm on his then, and he turned to see Luka and Abby looking rather
worried. He allowed himself to be helped from the ambulance, but only
because he was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to do it by himself.

"Dave, are you okay?" Abby asked, and the instant his injured leg
touched the ground it gave out and he nearly collapsed into Luka. Abby
grabbed his other arm. "Jesus, what were you thinking??"

"He wasn't," John responded.

"Shut up, asshole," Dave spat.

"What's your problem??" John asked, surprise written all over his face
although Dave wasn't sure why. He could see the surprise on Luka and
Abby's face as well, but he ignored it.

"What the hell's *your* problem?" Dave retorted, leaning heavily on
his friends, his arms draped over each of their shoulders. They were
his only friends, friends who weren't afraid to let everyone know they
liked him, friends who weren't ashamed of him. He looked up and saw
the confusion in John's eyes, and fought the urge to punch him right
in the face. Instead, he spat, "You don't even know."

"What're you talking about??" John asked, his tone laced with
desperation. "Why are you mad at me?"

"If you don't know," Dave replied, "then I...I don't even know what to
say to you."

"Dave," Abby interjected, tugging on his arm gently in the direction
of the ER. "Let's go inside."

But Dave didn't move, he just watched John, watching him, looking
right into his eyes, trying to figure out why Dave was so mad at him,
what he'd done wrong. Dave hadn't really expected him to hug him or
kiss him or anything like that, right? He couldn't ask something like
that from John, not with all of those people watching, judging. God
knew what they would think, or do. What if they didn't like him
anymore? Or thought he was incapable of being a doctor? Or a friend?
Dave had gotten beaten from his hockey buddies, what would those
people watching do to John? They could report him, or get him fired,
or...something, he didn't know what. And he didn't want to find out.
Dave knew better than to ask something like that, he had to be upset
for a different reason. But why? Then it hit John. It was that
"fucking stupid" comment. Sure, it had been a little harsh, but he'd
been upset himself. After all, Dave had nearly died, would've left
John all alone, without his second half. He knew Dave could get
sensitive about stuff like that, about what people said to him and how
it was said. He took more things to heart than people thought, feeling
more than he ever let on. Maybe John had hurt his feelings, especially
saying that in front of someone else. Perhaps he'd embarrassed him.

"Dave," John said softly. "I didn't mean what I said before."

"Dave, come on," Luka interjected warily. "Let's get you checked out.
You've probably got hypothermia and the laceration could get infected
if we don't � "

"What?" Dave asked John, ignoring Luka completely, or maybe he just
didn't hear him. He looked as if he was going to say more, but all
that came out was another, "What??"

"When I said you were stupid," he clarified, ignoring the cold look
cast at him by Abby. Did she always have to be so damn protective? "I
didn't meant it, I was just � "

Suddenly Dave clenched his fists, letting out a cry of frustration as
he took a step back. "God! You make me so angry I could strangle
you!!"

"What is wrong with you??" John asked, startled and puzzled, glancing
at Luka and Abby as if they could help him. They only stared blankly
back. Although Abby was, of course, looking at him as if this were his
entire fault.

"John, Dave," they heard, and turned to see Kerry leaning heavily on
her crutch. "Why aren't the two of you inside? Especially you, Dave.
What's � "

"Me??" Dave yelled back to John, wishing he could get right in the
man's face and yell and yell until he had no voice left. "What's wrong
with *me*?? What is wrong with *you*!? I almost died! I almost died
and the only thing you can do is sit there � "

"Sit there??" John retorted. "I saved your life!"

"That's not what I'm talking about!" Dave replied, his voice
quavering.

"I tried to jump in the water but the firefighters wouldn't let me!"

"That's not what I mean!"

"Then what?!" John cried, frustrated. "What do you mean??"

"Do you even care? Do you even care that I almost died??"

"Dave..." John warned, glancing sideways at Kerry.

"Fuck you!!" Dave shouted. "I don't care how much she hears, I don't
care if she knows!"

"I do!" John exclaimed. What was Dave thinking! Kerry was the head of
the Emergency Room Department! Was he crazy?? "And I'm not having this
conversation with you here."

"I'm having this conversation here!!" Dave cried, pointing to the
ground as if to punctuate his sentence.

"Dave," Abby warned softly, worriedly.

He calmed, but his eyes were still wild with anger and sadness. "I'm
having this conversation here, John. I could've died and I would've
never known you didn't give a shit. Do you have any idea how that
makes me feel?"

"Dave, you know how I feel about you," he said quietly, acutely aware
of the fact that Kerry wasn't budging, and that Luka and Abby weren't
either, they were just helping Dave stand but looking awfully
uncomfortable.

Dave shook his head. "You don't love people you're ashamed of, John.
You can't."

"I'm not ashamed of you."

"Then why are you hiding??"

"I'm not hiding, I'm just...I'm just not ready."

"When will you be?" Dave challenged. "How much longer is it going to
take? How much longer am I going to be your dirty little secret??"

"Dave, please," John pleaded, holding out his hands in desperation.
"I'm just...Dave, I'm scared."

"Well, suck it up, John," was the surprising reply he received.
"Because I'm tired of waiting, I'm tired of pretending. All my life
I've had to pretend to be something I'm not, and I won't do it
anymore. I can't. It's killing me here, that I keep having to hide.
That every time I get too close to you in public you get weird, or
when I kiss you when no one's around you freak out, even when the
door's locked. It kills me that you don't want anyone to know I love
you, or that you love me." He paused, his eyes glistening with tears
that sparkled like the stars in the night sky above them. "John, for
the first time in my life, I'm not scared to be who I am. And I won't
let anyone, not you or anyone, force me to hide. It's now or never.
And that's it."

John glanced at Kerry, at Luka and Abby, wishing they could have this
conversation somewhere else, anywhere else, just not here, in front of
them.

"Why do you care what they think??" Dave asked, catching the glance,
catching John's eye. "Why are they so important to you? Why are they
more important than me? Why is everyone more important than me??"

"Dave," John said, fighting the hesitance in his voice. "Dave, you
know...you know you're more...Dave, you..."

"I'm finished here, John," Dave suddenly said quietly, but not so
quietly that John didn't hear the quavering in his voice, reflected in
the tears brimming in Dave's eyes. "I'm done."

"What do you mean?" John asked, alarmed.

"I mean that...it's either me, or..." Dave trailed off, looking up to
meet John's eyes, looking so pained and defeated John's breath caught
in his throat. "Or whatever it is you're trying to accomplish here."

"Dave..." John pleaded, desperate eyes meeting desperate eyes. "Dave,
I can't...you know I can't, I..."

The young man glanced off, nodding as he fought to maintain his
composure. "Then congratulations, John," he said softly, his voice
thick. "You win." He looked to Luka. "Take me inside. I want to go
inside, please."

And John stood there, silent and still, unable to do anything else
besides watch Dave turn and limp away from him with Abby and Luka's
help, watch the young man cross the ambulance bay, walk right into the
hospital and right out of John's life. Out of his life, just like
that, without hesitation or so much as a glance back.

No, no, John argued with himself. That wasn't possible, Dave couldn't
just be gone. He'd come home, they'd both come home and it would be
fine. They'd fight some more but John would find the right things to
say, and then they'd go to bed and make love and fall asleep, and
tomorrow morning things would be back to normal and it would be fine.

The sound of the ambulance bay doors sliding closed echoed throughout
the parking lot. And then another sound, the sound of a crutch hitting
John in the front of his shin. He yelled out in protest, grabbing his
leg and glancing at Kerry incredulously.

"Carter, if I could suspsend you for being an idiot, I would," she
said, her eyes hard and cold. "You have ten seconds to get in there,
or I will."

"I..."

"Well? What are you waiting for? A written invitation?" she asked. He
looked at her dubiously. "Fresh out of excuses?"

"No, I just � "

"You'd just better get in there," she finished for him. "Before it's
too late."

He hesitated for only a fraction of a second before breaking into a
run.

----------------------------------------

I'm not a perfect person

I never meant to do those things to you

And so I have to say before I go

That I just want you to know

-------------------------------------------

"Wait!"

Dave had expected John to follow him inside and try to talk to him,
try to convince him to hide just a little bit longer. Just a little
bit longer, that's what it always was. Just until he was ready. Just
until he wasn't scared. Just until he realized Dave was worth it, that
he shouldn't be ashamed. Just a little bit longer.

"Dave, wait!"

But how much longer was a little bit longer?

"Dave," Abby said, but he cut her off.

"Don't. Don't stop walking, because I won't."

"Dave, come on, wait a second!"

They'd been together for eight months, the longest Dave had ever been
with someone in years. Was it going to take eight more months? Or
maybe John didn't think they'd last that long.

"Dave!! Wait!"

But he was tired of waiting. Tired of waiting and pretending and
hiding. Sick and tired of it. And he wouldn't do it anymore, he
wouldn't be pushed around. Not by the man he loved, not by anybody. It
was all or nothing, that was how it was going to be, he was worth that
much, whether John thought so or not. And if John couldn't accept that
then �

"Dave � " Luka now, but he shook his head and kept moving as best as
he could.

"I said don't stop walking!"

"Dave!" John yelled, grabbing his arm, pulling him away from Luka and
Abby, pulling him so hard he spun into John, knocking right into him
and collapsing into his arms. John didn't move away and Dave didn't
either, defiance glaring in Dave's eyes, daring John to do something.
The ER was watching with bated breath, ready for a fistfight right in
the middle of Admin. Dave could almost picture Randi starting a pool
to see who would win, passing the clipboard of bets to Haleh and Chuny
and Yosh, Abby and Luka and Jing-Mei.

But instead, they would get the opposite of what they'd hoped for,
maybe get exactly what they wanted in hindsight. Because instead of
John punching Dave out, or Dave punching John out, John slipped his
hands on either side of Dave's face and pulled him into the most
passionate and breathless kiss he could've ever mustered up alone or
in a crowded ER.

Dave was so surprised at first he didn't react, just stood there,
allowing himself to be kissed. And then he realized holy fuck John's
kissing me in the middle of the goddamned ER! He couldn't just let
something like that go, not if it was the only steamy kiss he was
every going to have in front of everyone. Quickly, he regained his
bearings and grabbed John's shirt in his fists, pulling him even
closer, really getting into it, tongue and spit and everything, and
when they eased out of it, panting or gasping or both, he leaned his
forehead against John's and chuckled softly, saying, "Oh. You meant
*wait*."

"Yeah," John replied. "I meant wait."

They were suddenly aware of the absolute silence around them, and both
men took a mutual step back as they realized they were the focus of
attention. It had been John's intent but now he blushed profusely,
even as he felt more euphoric than he ever had after taking any drug.
And one hit later he was addicted and wanted more. Because Dave was
his man and everyone knew it, and it felt...right. It felt right.

John smiled as he reached out and took Dave's hand, feeling a thrill
run through him as he saw the almost childlike delight in Dave's face
at the gesture. Dave leaned forward and now it was John's turn to be
kissed, and it seemed to snap the ER out of it's daze, and abruptly
there was clapping, then hooting, and now a full-on cheer.

"Excuse me," Kerry Weaver interrupted, hitting the back of Dave's
ankles with her crutch, then poking at John's shin. "This is a
professional workplace, if I recall. Show's over, everybody, get back
to work! Dave, Curtain Area Two, please."

There was a uniformed groan that echoed in Dave's head, wishing he
could kiss John all day, in front of everybody they knew. Showing
everybody they loved one another too much to let others stand in their
way, force them to hide. Showing everybody they were proud, not
ashamed but proud, proud as they held hands walking down the hall and
all the way to Curtain Two.

---------------------------------------

I found a reason for me

To change who I used to be

A reason to start over new

And the reason is you

-----------------------------------

"I'm so sorry, Dave," John said, as he stitched up Dave's thigh, the
young man sitting awkwardly in a gown, hating the damn things and how
exposed they made him feel. Especially without underwear on, which had
been just as soaked as the rest of his clothes and too wet to stay in.

"I know," he replied, watching John expertly thread in and out of
Dave's skin. It was actually kind of cool to watch and not feel any
pain, however gross it should've been.

"I didn't know how important it was to you," he continued, lacing in
and out, in and out, sewing in such a way to cause as little scaring
as possible, although that was going to be one pretty big scar anyway.

"I know."

"You're not my dirty little secret."

"I know," Dave repeated, more firmly this time, hoping John wouldn't
apologize again while tacking another mark in the tally he was keeping
track of in his head. John had apologized about thirty-four times
since coming into this room. "It really means a lot to me what you
did. But I'm sorry I, you know...pressured you."

"No, you're not," John said with a grin that Dave returned.

"You're right," he stated, almost giggling. "Did you see the look on
their faces? Especially Jing-Mei! Did you see her?? Her jaw dropped so
far she looked like a blowup doll."

He imitated her expression and John chuckled, shaking his head as he
cut the thread and began to dress the wound. "You're really something
else, you know that?"

Dave smiled, meeting John's eyes. "You're not so bad yourself. Once
you get used to you, that is."

John rolled his eyes, finished with the wound and moving so he could
sit down on the bed next to Dave, slightly facing him. He took one of
Dave's hands in his, bringing it to his mouth to kiss the backs of
Dave's knuckles. He smiled as he saw the flush rise in Dave's cheeks,
never one to know how to respond to romance, shy despite his
reputation.

"Dave, I really am sorry," he said, reaching out with his other hand
and touching the side of Dave's face, scratchy stubble beginning to
show. Dave didn't think he ever looked attractive with five o'clock
shadow, but John begged to differ. Although he was probably a little
biased: he thought Dave looked attractive no matter what. "I'm sorry
about the past couple months, and not being there for you...I'm sorry
for the whole time making you think I was ashamed of you or that I
didn't love you, or both...and I'm sorry about tonight, especially
tonight. I should've been there for you, and I wasn't. And I'm so
sorry."

"It's okay," Dave replied, smiling reassuringly, reaching out to touch
the side of John's face as well.

"Dave, I was so scared I was going to lose you," he said, his voice
thick. John placed his hand on top of Dave's, holding it there fast.
"I was so scared you were dead and I'd never see you ever again. I'm
sorry I made you think that I didn't care. If you'd died thinking
that, Dave...I don't know what I'd do. I can't let you live the rest
of your life thinking that and die with it, Dave. I'm so sorry."

"Hey, it's okay," he said softly, pulling John into an embrace. "You
don't have to worry, John. It's okay now."

John pulled back and saw that smile he'd been so scared he'd never see
again. And that smile broadened as John leaned in close, brushing his
lips gently against Dave's, so sweetly, and if they weren't making
Dave stay overnight (along with Sandy) for "observation," he knew they
would've made love tonight. Hell, maybe they still would, he thought
rather naughtily, wondering if there was a lock on the door.

"I told you they weren't pulling our legs!" Randi's voice from the
doorway, startling the two men and causing them to abruptly pull away
from one another. "I know passion when I see it, and *that* was
passion."

"Dave's straighter than a straight line," Haleh scoffed, crossing her
arms over her chest in disbelief. "I know seeing is believing, but..."

"Oh, come on," Chuny said, indicating Dave and John. "Just look at
them. They're so in love. Aren't you guys?"

John glanced at Dave. Dave glanced at John. John looked back to the
three women, along with a few other nosy staff members, taking Dave's
hand in his. He grinned broadly, glancing back to his lover, to his
Dave. "We sure are."

------------------------------------------

I found a reason to show

A side of me you didn't know

A reason for all that I do

And the reason is you

---------------------------------

To be concluded...
Epilogue - Like This Forever by The She Devil
----------------------------
Epilogue: Like This Forever
----------------------------

He knocked on the counter twice and rang the bell once, holding on to
a takeout box and balancing two Styrofoam cups on top of it. He was
smiling and visibly energetic, shifting from one foot to another
anxiously. His cheery (and awake) mood was almost obnoxious to the
groggy nightshift workers, who passed by with glares and hopes that he
wouldn't try to talk to them.

"Anybody home?"

Jerry came in to view from behind the front desk window, a phone to
one ear and a chart in hand. "Hey, Dr. Carter. Hold on a second."

"I'm just looking for Dave."

"I think he's sleeping in Exam Three," the desk clerk replied,
pointing, and then suddenly turned back to his phone call. "No, I said
that he was sent up to Radiology, he isn't here anymore..."

"Perfect." John flashed an appreciative smile before heading towards
Exam Three, one of his cups nearly spilling and that would've ruined
the entire surprise. Carefully, he made his way to the door and nudged
it open, light from the hall spilling onto his lover's sleeping form.
He looked so peaceful John almost didn't want to wake him up. Almost.

He crossed the room, sitting down on the edge of the exam bed, Dave's
back to him. He studied those broad shoulders, envisioning them behind
the fabric of Dave's scrub top, and then he started envisioning
everything else...broad shoulders and strong back, leading down to
that tight butt and muscular legs. He could see that sexy tattoo at
the small of Dave's back, and he could see the scars too. It didn't
faze him to think about them, they were so normal, so Dave. It was a
part of him, and John loved every part of him, scars included.

He pictured the newest one Dave had received - well, besides the one
Dave had gotten when John had nearly accidentally killed him as they
redecorated their apartment, but that was a whole other story. (But,
boy, the look on everyone's faces when Dave had come in with a cut on
his forehead and his hair full of blue paint.) The one he was really
thinking of was the one on Dave's leg, the one he'd garnered while
saving a young boy from a sinking school bus. The dumbest and bravest
thing Dave had probably ever done. Thinking about that day two months
ago always gave John the worst and best feelings in the world, because
it always made John remember how he'd almost lost Dave, but it always
made him remember just how much he loved him too.

In a way, everything and nothing had changed since then. Dave and John
were out, but no one really minded. In fact, John had been surprised
to find that people were even *happy* for them. So life went on as
usual, sort of. Abby and Luka were still dating, even though now they
were the ones trying to hide it. For a while, it hadn't mattered,
County's Rumor Mill had been too focused on Dave and John to give them
the time of day, but now that the hype had died down rumors of
marriage and babies and living together were starting to abound. The
four of them tended to double date, and John had to admit it was nice.
It was also nice that Kerry Weaver and Sandy Lopez had become closer
to them as well. Dave and Sandy tended to stick together, watching
games and drinking (soda) together, being generally loud and rude and
crude. Luckily for John, they spoke Spanish to one another, so he
didn't have to hear it. Kerry, on the other hand, wasn't so fortunate,
and occasionally while she and John were making dinner as Dave and
Sandy watched television, John would have the pleasure of seeing his
boss yell at the two of them in another language for having said
something offensive.

He smiled at the image. He smiled at his new life, with his lover and
their friends. John knew, after everything that had happened - drugs
and fights and secrets and confessions - all in all, life wasn't that bad.

Now, placing the takeout box down on the tray table nearby, he picked
up one of the cups and took off the top, leaning down and blowing the
steam towards Dave's face. Immediately his lover stirred, and only
then did John remember how much of a light sleeper he was.

"...The hell?" he murmured, turning quickly and knocking into John's
hand, spilling the hot chocolate over John's arm and his own shoulder.
They both shouted obscenities as they sat back with surprise, startled
and scalded.

"Dave!" John exclaimed, grabbing some of the napkins he'd stuffed into
his pocket and using them to wipe Dave's wet scrub top. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he replied, as he began to wipe up John's sleeve.
The scene John envisioned was pretty amusing; John wiping up Dave's
shirt, Dave wiping up John's, like two old lovers that had been
together for decades instead of just months. "What're you doing here?"

He indicated the Styrofoam cups and the takeout box nearby. "Midnight
snack. I actually intended for you to eat it though."

Dave grinned, already over his wet scrub top and burned skin, now
focused on the takeout box. "Oh, yeah? What's is it?? And who has hot
chocolate in the middle of August?"

"I do," John retorted. "And it's almost September. Let's get
comfortable first and then I'll show you what I brought you."

"Okay."

John grabbed the box from the tray table and sat back on the bed with
Dave, and with the back of the bed up it was almost like how they'd
sit by the pool at the mansion on chase lounges, Dave tanning and John
burning. Once they were settled side by side, ankles crossed, hot
chocolate in hand, John pulled open the box.

"Brownies!" Dave exclaimed with a childlike grin. "Yes! Homemade?"
Suddenly he looked at John with a grimace, and then smiled. "Just
kidding."

John elbowed him. "Jerk. And no, they aren't homemade, they're
straight from Doc's."

"I'm not sure how much better that is," Dave quipped, and in fifteen
minutes the brownies were gone and their cups were empty, both items
strewn hastily on the floor. Dave had pulled John to him and now they
were snuggling up to one another, and this position reminded John of
last night. They'd made love in the heat of the night, the air
conditioner broken and the windows wide open, and after they'd
finished Dave had held John close, singing softly to him. John hadn't
recognized the song, but he recognized the meaning behind it: could
everything feel like this forever? And John smiled, then and now,
because with Dave anything was possible.

"John?"

"Yeah."

"Do you love me?"

"Yeah."

"Do you want to be with me forever?"

He laughed softly, amused by the conversation but wondering where it
was going. "Of course I do. What are you getting at?"

"You know..." Dave replied, shrugging, "if you love me and I love you,
and you want to be with me forever and I want to be with you forever..."

He glanced at Dave with puzzlement. "Dave, what exactly are you
proposing?" His lover grinned broadly, almost giddy, causing John to
become even more confused. "Dave - "

"Exactly!" he exclaimed. "I want you to marry me!"

"What?" he asked, pulling back and laughing with surprise. "Dave - "

"No, I mean it!" he interrupted fervently. "I really want you to marry
me."

"Dave," John said, sobering at the sincerity in Dave's eyes. He
couldn't be serious. "You can't be serious."

"Why not?" he asked, pouting.

"Because," John replied, as if it was the most obvious thing on the
planet. Except it was, because they couldn't get married! "We can't
get married."

"Is it a religion thing?" Dave asked. "Because if it's a religion
thing, you can convert to mine."

"It's...no, it's not a religion thing," John replied, not even trying
to comprehend how Dave could think it was because of that. A thought
struck him, so silly considering what Dave was asking him, but he had
to know: "And how come you can't convert to mine?"

"You don't practice yours. I practice mine."

"You do not."

"Do too," he insisted. "My mom makes me go to church Christmas and
Easter. That's practicing."

He shook his head, brushing the brief interlude off. "Dave..."

"Well, if it's not a religion thing," he said, when John trailed off,
"then what is it? Is it because we're two men? Or is it because we
can't have a priest at our wedding? Or maybe because you can't wear
white, since, you know, we've already consummated our relationship."
Playfully, he pushed his hips towards John, who pulled away with a
grin, swatting at his lover. "Come on, John. You know you want to."

John looked at him. "You're really serious about this, aren't you?"

"Hell, yes," he stated, nodding vigorously with a broad grin. "David
Malucci is ready to be tied down, and there is no one on this planet
that I'd rather be tied down by than you."

"Thanks...I think."

"So what do you say?" Dave asked, nudging him. "Will you marry me?"

John grinned, as if any other response was impossible - which, of
course, it was. "Of course I will."

"Yes!" Dave exclaimed, punching the air in victory. "I don't have a
ring or anything because I just started thinking about it, but I
couldn't wait to ask you. But guys don't wear engagement rings, right?
That's weird. We just get rings and give them to each other, and then
get married right? Oh, man, I can't wait to tell my mom, she's going
to be so psyched, I - "

"Dave."

"What?"

"Shut up and kiss me already."

"I knew I was forgetting something," Dave replied with a sly smile,
before slipping his hands on either side of John's face and pulling
him into a thorough kiss. Slow and intoxicating with just a little bit
of tongue, and John was left breathless once they eased out of it. He
was also grinning like a fool, but that was beside the point. "I can't
wait to kiss you forever. Man, I can't wait to marry you."

"When should we do it?"

"Now."

John smiled. "I mean marry."

"Saturday."

"Dave."

"I don't know," he replied, lying back against the bed with his head
resting against John's shoulder, who was trailing fingertips over
Dave's thigh. "What about May? I love May. But that seems so far away."

"Weddings take a long time to plan," John pointed out, and he got a
warm feeling in his belly just thinking about planning it with Dave,
his future husband. He smiled as he laced his fingers with his
fiancé's, already loving the way that sounded. "So who gets to be the
bride?"

"I will," Dave replied brightly. "I can wear a white tux and you can
wear a black one."

"What, no wedding dress?"

"Ha-ha, I don't think so," Dave said, pulling a face. "So since I'm
the bride, do I get a bridal party?"

"Sure. Who's going to be your bride's maid?"

He paused only briefly. "Abby. I'll pick out a really nice dress,
she'll love it." John could almost imagine what Dave would pick out:
some skimpy red dress and fuck-me heels, fishnets a strong
possibility. "Who's going to be your best man?"

He smiled. "Dr. Benton. I'm sure he has nothing better to do in
Schaumburg."

"Make sure I'm there when you tell him," Dave stated. "Imagine the
look on his face!"

"So who's going to walk you down the aisle?" John asked, but he
already knew the answer.

"My mom," he replied, and they settled into a comfortable silence. He
felt Dave kiss his shoulder and had to smile, and that got him
thinking about Dave kissing his lips, his neck, his body...Dave's
shift was over in a few hours, and John began to plan ways to
celebrate their engagement. Maybe he'd get some sparkling cider in a
bottle, make a little picnic on the coffee table. Dave would open the
door and see everything and be amazed, then they'd shove all the food
aside like they do in the movies and -

"John?"

"Yeah."

"Just to let you know," Dave continued matter-of-factly, "that just
because I'm the bride, *still* doesn't mean I'm the woman of this
relationship."

Yeah, John thought with a laugh, and Dave protested with a kiss, and
John protested by tickling him. And as Dave began to hiccup with
laughter, as John realized that everything *would* feel like this
forever, he had to admit that life really wasn't that bad at all.

-------------------------------

The End.
This story archived at http://errealmofslash.com/viewstory.php?sid=486